AirbusOnly
Topic Author

WOW Air to start Iceland - Israel flights

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:14 am

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/natur ... l_flights/

WOW CEO Skúli Mogensen knows how to impress the branch: the low cost carrier has requested slots for six weekly flights from Tel Aviv to Reykjavik and will offer cheap stopover flights to North America
Last edited by AirbusOnly on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLYKTPA

Re: WOW Air to start Iceland - Israel flights

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

Very cool! Good for WOW Air.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

SCQ83

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 am

Wow incredible Iceland-Israel, what will be next!

Haredim in Iceland... that will be something exotic to see.

thepinkmachine

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:41 am

Interesting... wonder which airplane they are planning to use. The route is on the edge for the 320 series, so it will likely be an A333 route

ahj2000

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Hmm. Newark to TLV over Keflavík for what I imagine will be no less than 250$? Watch out UA...a bunch of ppl might be going purple :)
-Andrés Juánez

usflyer123

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:45 pm

They requested slots so its not clear if they will fly this summer or not. But does the TLV-KEF flight is going to arrive in time for the WOW flight banks to NA and the opposite? Anyway, hope this comes to frutation and WOW and FI continue growing!
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

Natflyer

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Probably an expensive route to fly, with increased security costs. Will they have to base Israeli security in Iceland? Timings will be an issue also, might need to nightstop the a/c in TLV to achieve ideal connections. Looking at the distance, they will probably need the 321neo to do this. An expensive bird to overnight. If they leave Iceland before 7am as most of their eastbounds do, arriving late afternoon TLV time, and leaving TLV mid morning to arrive in time for afternoon westbounds. Probably as much as 19 hrs o/g in TLV?

gabrielchew

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Natflyer wrote:
Will they have to base Israeli security in Iceland?

I don't think there is any compulsory security needed for non-Israeli carriers flying into Israel. I flew FR BUD-VDA a few weeks ago, and there was nothing out of the ordinary. Used a mobile boarding pass, which was checked against my passport as I boarded, and that was it. Leaving Israel is another matter all together.

Back OT, but TLV-KEF is a pretty cool route to be flying!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

opticalilyushin

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:21 pm

gabrielchew wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

I flew FR BUD-VDA a few weeks ago, and there was nothing out of the ordinary!

I flew BUD-TLV with Up, it was a very different story :/

usflyer123

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:31 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
gabrielchew wrote:
Natflyer wrote:

Thats because LY is different, They have Israeli security at every airport questioning you at chek-in which is a big headache. When I flew PS and DL to Israel, it was an ordinary flight.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

opticalilyushin

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:36 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:
gabrielchew wrote:

Thats because LY is different, They have Israeli security at every airport questioning you at chek-in which is a big headache. When I flew PS and DL to Israel, it was an ordinary flight.

Interesting to know. I have no intentions to return, but I always assumed all flights to Israel had the same security procedures..i thought it was a pre-condition for any airline to be allowed to fly into Israel.

WOW will have access to an interesting and lucrative market, but as mentioned before, unless they plan a long layover with the aircraft and crew, the schedule will not easily fit into the North American wave, which I'd say they would want to work seamlessly.

usflyer123

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:39 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:

Interesting to know. I have no intentions to return, but I always assumed all flights to Israel had the same security procedures..i thought it was a pre-condition for any airline to be allowed to fly into Israel.

WOW will have access to an interesting and lucrative market, but as mentioned before, unless they plan a long layover with the aircraft and crew, the schedule will not easily fit into the North American wave, which I'd say they would want to work seamlessly.

Thats true, BTW does their SFO and LAX flights arrive in time for the EU bank?

lesfalls

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm weary if they are making a great profit atm as their Cali flights have been quite cheap. Their EWR flights also on the other hand are quite expensive which makes me wonder if they really are getting passangers as usually it's cheaper to fly with another airline(from EWR).
My Instagram account: @Jfkmxpairlinespotting

SCQ83

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:44 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:

There is more than meets the eye.

For instance Turkish flights to TLV have several security people (even if dressed in "normal" attire of a IST worker) around the plane standing there before boarding. So everything seems somehow similar to another flight (specially at IST that has now quite strict safety measures for obvious reasons), but it is not.

usflyer123

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:

For instance Turkish flights to TLV have several security people (even if dressed in "normal" attire of a IST worker) around the plane standing there before boarding. So everything seems somehow similar to another flight (specially at IST that has now quite strict safety measures for obvious reasons), but it is not.

I think its just happens in LY flights(which has at least one undercover security guy on every flight IIRC) and flights from Muslim countries(like AMM,IST or CAI). Israel is quite an interesting market!

opticalilyushin

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:59 pm

I recall many years ago dispatching an Arkia 757-300 on a charter flight, and seeing the armed guards on the ramp for the aircraft's arrival. They were fine with me, even when I was taking pics of the landed aircraft, but every other airport worker- the refueller, cleaners etc. got a full pat-down first, and their phones taken off them while they were onboard.

SCQ83

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:12 pm

I am surprised Turkish does not think about KEF. At this stage it should work! Also Aeroflot to Moscow or FI/WW to Moscow.

pompos

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Natflyer wrote:
Probably an expensive route to fly, with increased security costs. Will they have to base Israeli security in Iceland? Timings will be an issue also, might need to nightstop the a/c in TLV to achieve ideal connections. Looking at the distance, they will probably need the 321neo to do this. An expensive bird to overnight. If they leave Iceland before 7am as most of their eastbounds do, arriving late afternoon TLV time, and leaving TLV mid morning to arrive in time for afternoon westbounds. Probably as much as 19 hrs o/g in TLV?

What time are the connection banks in KEF?
Wouldn't this be a great flight for WOW to departure evening/night at KEF and have it arrive in TLV in the morning. And then back during the day.

lesfalls

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:39 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I am surprised Turkish does not think about KEF. At this stage it should work! Also Aeroflot to Moscow or FI/WW to Moscow.

FI flew to LED before but it didn't work out I heard and isn't MOW too far for a B757 from KEF?

gabrielchew

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:46 pm

lesfalls wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

FI flew to LED before but it didn't work out I heard and isn't MOW too far for a B757 from KEF?

Moscow is closer to KEF than any of their North American destinations! (most of which are 757s). Its only 2000 miles.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

toxtethogrady

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:08 pm

There's also this - more nonstop flights from Greece to Haifa...
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/122993 ... 1533790H6R

DaveFly

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

I've heard the same thing. El Al is up-front about their security, for better or worse.

But I've flown Delta direct to TLV, and there is another security check after the regular TSA check. Same with Lufthansa in FRA, another check after the initial security. I don't recall an additional check in Toronto, but I believe Longhauler said here that a lot of security takes place behind the scenes.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

lesfalls

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm

gabrielchew wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Moscow is closer to KEF than any of their North American destinations! (most of which are 757s). Its only 2000 miles.

Sorry. My mistake.

HELyes

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:31 pm

That's a cool new route but not that surprising actually, it looks the Nordic Europe is fashionable in Israel now. I read Israel has quickly become the third largest source market of charter flights in Rovaniemi (RVN) in Finnish Lapland, where Israelis come to experience the arctic winter around January-March.

khpn

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Awesome news for WOW, TLV and all the pax in between!

airbazar

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:09 pm

2,853nm as the crow flies. That is a long route for a high density A321ceo. WOW must either be planning to acquire more A330's or block off a lot of seats.

CO7e7

Re:

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:20 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Hmm. Newark to TLV over Keflavík for what I imagine will be no less than 250$? Watch out UA...a bunch of ppl might be going purple :)

sign me up!!

kelvin933

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:20 pm

airbazar wrote:
2,853nm as the crow flies. That is a long route for a high density A321ceo. WOW must either be planning to acquire more A330's or block off a lot of seats.

Wow air has leasing agreements with ALC for A320neo and A321neo to be delivered 2017 and 2018
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

caaardiff

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:25 pm

What would the flight time be? 7 hours? and a 2 hour time difference
There appears to be a new bank emerging. The LAX and SFO flights now arrive into KEF approx. 1330 and then there's a bank of flights to Europe in the afternoon to LGW, CDG and AMS, approx. 1500. Interestingly, any other route means 16hrs layover in KEF on the return flights. WOW seems to be utilising the A330's much better but means lengthy waits for some European routes.
For TLV I imagine an evening departure, say 2000 from KEF, arriving into TLV about 5am. A 7am departure from TLV would mean 1200 arrival into KEF to meet the lunchtime bank to the states.

Natflyer

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:51 pm

caaardiff wrote:
There appears to be a new bank emerging. The LAX and SFO flights now arrive into KEF approx. 1330 and then there's a bank of flights to Europe in the afternoon to LGW, CDG and AMS, approx. 1500. Interestingly, any other route means 16hrs layover in KEF on the return flights. WOW seems to be utilising the A330's much better but means lengthy waits for some European routes.
For TLV I imagine an evening departure, say 2000 from KEF, arriving into TLV about 5am. A 7am departure from TLV would mean 1200 arrival into KEF to meet the lunchtime bank to the states.

3 hr time difference in summer. I could imagine 6:45 KEF-TLV and 7:15 at least northbound. West coast flights will arrive in KEF ca 1330, but East coast flights still early morning, so it would be a long layover if it were an evening flight.

airberlin2017

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:25 am

Six weekly flights are planned, but only one A321neo (i think the distance to Tel aviv is too long for "ceo"?) is ordered. A long layover at TLV for the A321neo is impossible.

AirbusOnly
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Any news about these flights? They are not bookable until now...

AirbusOnly
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Now it's official: WOW Air starts nonstop flights form KEF to TLV with their new 321neo, commencing at 12. September 2017

http://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/201 ... l_israels/

Noshow

Tue May 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Incredible distance for some narrowbody Airbus. That is visible progress.

hvusslax

Tue May 16, 2017 1:29 pm

caaardiff wrote:

You were pretty close with this. My post from another thread:

The TLV flights are now for sale. It leaves KEF at 18:35 and returns from TLV at 13:30 the day after. This means that westbound connections to BOS, BWI, EWR, ORD, PIT, YYZ and YUL are pretty convenient with two hour layover in KEF. The eastbound is another matter as it involves some 13-14 hours layover at KEF. Connecting betwween TLV and LAX, SFO or MIA has more even layovers in KEF at 4-5 hours in either direction.

aemoreira1981

Tue May 16, 2017 1:40 pm

thepinkmachine wrote:
Interesting... wonder which airplane they are planning to use. The route is on the edge for the 320 series, so it will likely be an A333 route

AirlineRoute says an A321---which is surprising, I expected an A330-300. That said, this could undercut El Al's Newark operation as WOW would definitely undercut any other one-stop option or nonstop between the NYC area and TLV.

Icelandair (operating for Israir) used to fly JFK-TLV back in the day...one of the planes actually ended up with El Al.

andrefranca

Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Natflyer wrote:

These days only israeli carriers do spend with extra security (curious I know) on my recent trip with Aegean to TLV they even didn't look at me, arriving in TLV it's another history, they overdo security and I'm pretty sure it's very unlikely someone will try something, it took me 2 hours only to clear the x-ray due to arab stamps on my passport.
Andre F. :blockhead:

TC957

Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I started a thread earlier today asking if this is the longest A321 flight, to which no-one answered. Presume from above replies it is.

AirbusOnly
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 4:13 pm

7 Hours sandwitched in the cabin of an ULCC - hope defillibrators belong to their standard fitting...but I fear the feeling of having saved some pence people are ready even to endure that....

hvusslax

Tue May 16, 2017 4:47 pm

There are no doubt enough people willing to save a few shekels to fill up an A321 a few times per week. It's not that much farther than the east coast destinations WOW already serves on A320/A321 from Iceland. But I could see the 13 hour long layover on the eastbound reducing the appeal of this option. Iceland is an expensive place for such a layover.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 pm

I think this is a really smart add for them if times are good. TLV will offer lots of passengers to fill North American flights. WOW is really mostly a connecting airline, i just wish they would expand connection times and push banks. They have no solution when people mis-connect and Iceland is very expensive place to get stuck. These days a very full place to at alot of times, tourism is booming and hotels are not keeping up with demand.

eaa3

Tue May 16, 2017 5:45 pm

hvusslax wrote:
There are no doubt enough people willing to save a few shekels to fill up an A321 a few times per week. It's not that much farther than the east coast destinations WOW already serves on A320/A321 from Iceland. But I could see the 13 hour long layover on the eastbound reducing the appeal of this option. Iceland is an expensive place for such a layover.

The connection is good for both directions for SFO and LAX today. It will be a short 1-2 hour connection in both directions for all North American destinations starting in November, when it looks like the flights will be retimed.

lesfalls

Tue May 16, 2017 6:01 pm

eaa3 wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

The connection is good for both directions for SFO and LAX today. It will be a short 1-2 hour connection in both directions for all North American destinations starting in November, when it looks like the flights will be retimed.

Here are the times in November:

07:00KEF-16:10TLV
07:10TLV-13:10KEF

ASQ400

Tue May 16, 2017 6:07 pm

lesfalls wrote:
eaa3 wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

Here are the times in November:

07:00KEF-16:10TLV
07:10TLV-13:10KEF

That's a lot of ground time in TLV (15 hours!)
Enough, in fact, to fly from TLV to anywhere in Europe and back
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA

airberlin2017

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:03 pm

WOW Air reduces Tel Aviv from 31OCT from 4x to 3x weekly.

The route has (very) weak pre-booking numbers from start on 12th September ...

KLDC10

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:24 pm

airberlin2017 wrote:
WOW Air reduces Tel Aviv from 31OCT from 4x to 3x weekly.

The route has (very) weak pre-booking numbers from start on 12th September ...

Perhaps unsurprising. Israel is a very different market to Western Europe. I'm not sure that the majority of people travelling to and from Israel are the same target demographic as the majority of 'WOW' passengers (i.e. young backpackers, looking for a bargain basement flight with no regard for comfort or on board service). Full service carriers like United and Delta have established themselves well in the Israel-US market, but even with the Icelandic stopover, it is a long way to go without full on board service.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/763/772/A320/A321/A332/A333/E175/E190

AirbusOnly
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:26 pm

WOW Air first flight to Israel with their one and only A321neo TF-SKY just departed:

https://www.flightradar24.com/WOW698/ed59c6b

5.277 km and more then 7 hours from KEF to TLV in a narrowbody....somebody know how this first flight is booked?
I guess Skoli Mogensen (owner of WOW Air) is also on board of this inaugural flight ( ...could be also good campaign for Airbus and their
Airbus 321neo)
Last edited by AirbusOnly on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nadavatar64

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm

I have made some dummy bookings and for most of the markets WOW's fares were not that low, I do hope they will manage to succeed.

lesfalls

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Anyone know what the load was for the first flight?

astuteman

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
WOW Air first flight to Israel with their one and only A321neo TF-SKY just departed:

https://www.flightradar24.com/WOW698/ed59c6b

5.277 km and more then 7 hours from KEF to TLV in a narrowbody....somebody know how this first flight is booked?
I guess Skoli Mogensen (owner of WOW Air) is also on board of this inaugural flight ( ...could be also good campaign for Airbus and their
Airbus 321neo)

I'm guessing the return flight will be even longer .....

Rgds

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos