Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cityairline
Topic Author

Philippine Aviation Thread 2017

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Hey!

So, a new year has begun and the old Philippine thread was gettting quite full, so I thought why not start on a new page?
2016 was a pretty descent year for aviation in the country with the addition of new routes and growth in existing ones.

As the Philippine economy has become the fastest growing in Asia (at +7% now surpassing even China), and inbound tourism growing by 12%, extreme congestion at MNL has once again led many airlines to look at CEB for expansion. Last year EK, BR, MF, Vanilla and others has launched operations at the airport while many has added capacity!

But despite the congestion at MNL, the airport grew further by three million to almost 40 million passengers last year (mainly due to international growth)!

Domestic: 20,578,414 (+6%)
International: 18,938,368 (+10%)
Total:39,516,782 (+8%)

Last year, naturally, the growth of Chinese tourists (+40%) was the moste impressive one in the country. But as the Philippines is just seeing the start of it, they have engaged a lot in trying to lure more tour groups to the islands. Last week, we could read about no less than nine new routes beeing launched between China and non-MNL destinations! Note that these are regular services, not charters.

Philippines Airlines:
CTU-KLO 4 weekly
CTU-CEB 3 weekly

China West Air:
CKG-KLO 4 weekly
CKG-CEB 3 weekly

Sichuan Airlines:
CKG-CEB 4 weekly

Xiamen Air (pending approval):
XMN-KLO Daily
FOC-KLO Daily
FOC-CEB 2 weekly
JJN-CEB 2 weekly

Also, Philippine Airlines is re-launching MNL-KUL with daily A321 flights in June this year!
And this summer they're extending the extra three seasonal flights on MNL-SFO to five months (Apr-Aug). Add this to two months during winter and it's just a matter of time before it goes year-around and/or double daily, just like MNL-LAX...

I don't know what the latest news are regarding the new airport in Manila, byt maybe some of you guys can enlighten us... Devilfish perhaps? ;)

Let us hope for an exciting 2017, and let us post away!

/Alex

LurveBus

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread 2017

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:06 pm

It's a new year indeed.

On the airport front, a brand-spanking new airport is gonna take at least a decade to put together, so in the immediate term, the government is focused on extending the life of MNL for at least another 15 years. Sangley rehabilitation is being bid out, so turboprop and genav can move out of MNL and free up slots. Also, they're going to be extending rail service to CRK and build a new terminal there to accommodate spillover traffic.

As for the construction of a brand new airport, with how fast the other projects have been set to be bid out, we might see a decision this year on where the new airport is gonna be. Government has ruled out unsolicited bids by the private sector, so we'll see if they have the balls to set the plan in motion themselves.

On the airline front, PAL had plans to commence the reconfiguration of its all-y A330s in the first quarter of this year. Seats have already been ordered (vantage xl for J) but I've also heard that the reconfig might happen next year to coincide with the arrival of the a330s.

Oh, on the route development front, PAL has constantly be toying with starting service to a second point in Europe. If the a330 reconfiguration is to happen this year, one of the plans is to extend existing AUH or DXB services to a point in Europe to start a route before the a350s arrive. Anyway, time will tell.

VolvoBus

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:53 pm

[quote="LurveBus"]It's a new year indeed.

On the airport front, a brand-spanking new airport is gonna take at least a decade to put together, so in the immediate term, the government is focused on extending the life of MNL for at least another 15 years. Sangley rehabilitation is being bid out, so turboprop and genav can move out of MNL and free up slots. Also, they're going to be extending rail service to CRK and build a new terminal there to accommodate spillover traffic.

As for the construction of a brand new airport, with how fast the other projects have been set to be bid out, we might see a decision this year on where the new airport is gonna be. Government has ruled out unsolicited bids by the private sector, so we'll see if they have the balls to set the plan in motion themselves.

As it is indeed a new year, I have tried to be optimistic,but in this particular topic I have failed dismally.

A decade to get a new airport up and running,especially on a greenfield or brown water site,is extremely optimistic. President Duterte may have the will to decide on the site,but congress will want to get their fingers involved,and their record of results from enquiries is not exactly stellar. Once the project is bid out and decided,the losers will go to court crying foul and delay matters still further. An airport is more than a couple of runways and a terminal. Access and utilities are required, and it is stretching imagination to believe that,say First Pacific group will bust a gut to get everything hooked up on time to a San Miguel project. My prediction is that it will get to court injunctions before Duterte stands down,and his successor (Kris Aquino anybody) tears everything up and starts over.

Sangley Point is sub-optimal due to its position relative to MNL approach path and road access through Cavite City. Also,using it for turboprops means that small markets are disconnected from transfers at Manila. At least at Manila,I believe the air traffic control system has been returned to full operation following the purchase of replacement parts after something like 12 months.I also recall reading that the British ATC operator was commissioned to review Manila area ATC with a view to increasing capacity. That seems to have fallen off the radar(pun not intended)

The rail connection to Clark has been gathering weeds for years since that corruption scandal blew up. Any worthwhile expansion at Clark not completed by the end of Duterte's term must become questionable in the light of his successor. A plan by Aeroports de Paris for a phased extension was vetoed by then Pres Aquino on the grounds it was too large(maybe,but used the requirements given ADP by the government.) after it had passed every stage except being signed off by Aquino as chair of the National Investment Board(or whatever),including the board's own technical committee. Rumour suggested it was vetoed because Pampanga province is Marcos family territory. 'Still,never mind,the study was paid for by a French government grant at our request,so we didn't spend anything' was reported as being the attitude.

qf789

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 pm

PR has adjusted A330 operations for NS17

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... e-changes/

Devilfish

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:08 am

cityairline wrote:
I don't know what the latest news are regarding the new airport in Manila, byt maybe some of you guys can enlighten us... Devilfish perhaps?

I'm also in the dark as everyone else! :old: Anyway, as I had been saying here all along, both wings of T2 at NAIA could be extended after removal and relocation of existing structures in the way...and conversion of Rwy 13-31 to a taxilane. Hopefully, those would tide MNL over until the new gateway is built. And CAPA seems to agree with my ideas... :idea: ...

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/m ... als-323245

LurveBus wrote:
On the airport front, a brand-spanking new airport is gonna take at least a decade to put together, so in the immediate term, the government is focused on extending the life of MNL for at least another 15 years. Sangley rehabilitation is being bid out, so turboprop and genav can move out of MNL and free up slots.

This will not only free up slots but also vacate land for a master planned optimization of NAIA.

LurveBus wrote:
Also, they're going to be extending rail service to CRK and build a new terminal there to accommodate spillover traffic.

They still haven't decided on the grade and alignment the tracks would take, and whether it'd be standard or narrow gauge. Between the Chinese and Japanese vying for the project, it's anybody's guess. The terminal would be built in phases as demand rises.

LurveBus wrote:

With the number of press releases the proponents are flooding the media with, one would never know. But one thing seems clear...the authorities are hard-pressed establishing the scope and coming up with the specifications...they've admitted about as much themselves.

LurveBus wrote:
On the airline front, PAL had plans to commence the reconfiguration of its all-y A330s in the first quarter of this year. Seats have already been ordered (vantage xl for J) but I've also heard that the reconfig might happen next year to coincide with the arrival of the a330s.

It looks good...relatively... :thumbsup: ...

http://www.traveldailymedia.com/assets/ ... siness.jpg

However, didn't you mean the A359s for the existing 77Ws? According to the linked blog, PR's spokesperson confirmed it this way.....

Quote:
"PAL spokesperson Cielo Villaluna has confirmed today that the seven remaining bi-class A330-300 of the airline will be re-configured beginning next year after completion of the first eight set. This will be followed by the cabin upgrade of the old triple seven to conform to the two new ones tentatively scheduled upon delivery of the first two A350. It is understood that the 777 rotation to JFK will be covered by the A350 while they undergo cabin refit."

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... cabin.html

VolvoBus wrote:
A decade to get a new airport up and running,especially on a greenfield or brown water site,is extremely optimistic.

Particularly in a Philippine setting.

VolvoBus wrote:
President Duterte may have the will to decide on the site,but congress will want to get their fingers involved,and their record of results from enquiries is not exactly stellar.

This will be the acid test that will prove (or disprove) the administration's commitment to eradicate corruption.

VolvoBus wrote:
An airport is more than a couple of runways and a terminal. Access and utilities are required, and it is stretching imagination to believe that,say First Pacific group will bust a gut to get everything hooked up on time to a San Miguel project.

They might, in anticipation of a huge, quick payback. :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

VolvoBus wrote:
Sangley Point is sub-optimal due to its position relative to MNL approach path and road access through Cavite City. Also,using it for turboprops means that small markets are disconnected from transfers at Manila.

I assume Sangley will primarily be for GenAv at first which could ultimately evolve into an FBO for high-rollers who could then be driven on a short causeway (or ferried on a fast boat) to the various gaming and entertainment developments in the foreshore reclamation area. As it is, the access road from Cavite is being widened to facilitate transportation of materials and services. I believe that scheduled passenger turboprop operations would eventually concentrate at CRK.

VolvoBus wrote:
At least at Manila,I believe the air traffic control system has been returned to full operation following the purchase of replacement parts after something like 12 months.I

Yes, finally. It was more like an agonizing 20-year saga though.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... mment-form

VolvoBus wrote:
I also recall reading that the British ATC operator was commissioned to review Manila area ATC with a view to increasing capacity. That seems to have fallen off the radar(pun not intended)

Nothing has been heard of it since. It could be their recommendations did not coincide with the wishes of the powers-that-be at that time.

VolvoBus wrote:
A plan by Aeroports de Paris for a phased extension was vetoed by then Pres Aquino on the grounds it was too large(maybe,but used the requirements given ADP by the government.) after it had passed every stage except being signed off by Aquino as chair of the National Investment Board(or whatever),including the board's own technical committee. Rumour suggested it was vetoed because Pampanga province is Marcos family territory.

They appear unable to close the business case. Phased extension is back in the picture...but coupled to demand. Pampanga was Arroyo country, at least in between the two Aquino presidencies.

VolvoBus

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you for the updates. I often wondered how much extra capacity 13/31 really provided in the light of its restrictions of both ground and runway operations.

'Master planning' and delivery are concepts not always associated with the Philippines.

The existing planning for the northbound PNR extension would be a good starting point, although with one proposed site being in Bulacan province, maybe that should be included in the planning.

The fact that Duterte is standing by his Police Chief, who sees no appearance of impropriety by accepting an all expenses paid trip for himself,wife and family to Las Vegas from Manny Pacquiao for his fight with Floyd Mayweather does not bode to well for eliminating corruption.

Sangleys development for GA and executive was to provide a local home for the likes of Lucio Tan, Ramon S Ang and Henry Sy's executive jets. Have they yet decided on a relocation for the existing military occupants, and will it be ready to accept them?

Moving TPs to CRK is new to me, but it makes interchanging even less practical than Sangley.

Interest timeline re the ATC system, but I recall reading that the MNL equipment was at less than capacity due to the NAIA management failing to procure spares for 12 months. Interestingly,the equipment is the responsibility of NAIA,but the operators are CAAP employees. I also recall ?a newspaper article reporting that Air Traffic control had had pay increases and allowances from something like 5 years ago disallowed and they would have to be paid back.

My faulty memory regarding Arroyo/Marcos, but the Aquinos have no love for either family so the thrust of the rumour does still stand up.

Looking forward to my next visit From previous experience MH 704 provides quite a civilised experience at T1.

CanadaFair

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Does anyone know when PR left Karachi, was the route down gauged to A300i before exit, or did it continue with 747-200 to Europe?

LurveBus

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:29 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Does anyone know when PR left Karachi, was the route down gauged to A300i before exit, or did it continue with 747-200 to Europe?

Karachi was only ever a stop during the days when milk runs were popular. It was even a stopover on flights to TLV back when they still served the place.

I do remember flying on the 742s as a kid with the stopover in Karachi on our way to LGW. However, as soon as the A340s arrived and allowed for nonstop flights to Europe, I believe KHI was dropped.

Devilfish

Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:26 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
Sangleys development for GA and executive was to provide a local home for the likes of Lucio Tan, Ramon S Ang and Henry Sy's executive jets.

That may be, but at the end of the day, Sangley will need more well-heeled users to be financially independent. The gaming and entertainment resorts have the potential to provide those sorts of patrons.

VolvoBus wrote:
Have they yet decided on a relocation for the existing military occupants, and will it be ready to accept them?

IIRC, the plan was to transfer those to Lumbia in CGY. There are facilities there vacated by the move of the civilian airport to Laguindingan they can use.

VolvoBus wrote:
Moving TPs to CRK is new to me, but it makes interchanging even less practical than Sangley.

It's my opinion only, though I think things are moving inexorably in that direction. The thrust to decongest NAIA would lead to comparatively faster and larger jets serving the domestic hubs...leaving the turboprops to fly the secondary routes. And we had all seen it before at CRK --- even down to the small, rickety Let 410s.

LurveBus wrote:
I do remember flying on the 742s as a kid with the stopover in Karachi on our way to LGW. However, as soon as the A340s arrived and allowed for nonstop flights to Europe, I believe KHI was dropped.

Didn't PR also stopped at KHI while hopscotching to Europe on their DC-10s?.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Philippi ... Ai14NTk%3D

Further to PR's A330 makeover, below are photos of the new W and Y products.....

http://www.philippineairlines.com/About ... lass-a330s

http://www.philippineairlines.com/en/~/ ... D6A98C9550

http://www.philippineairlines.com/en/~/ ... 12638300EE

:wideeyed: Eight abreast Y.....hallelujah :!: :praise:

In the meantime, PR has just inagurated its CRK-DVO service.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... light.html

While PAA announces its return to Clark.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... clark.html

.....and SG mulls frequency increases.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... daily.html

cityairline
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:41 pm

CEB has realeased the passenger numbers for the year of 2016! As expected, they reported a stronger growth than MNL due to congestion, and especially the international front is impressive!

Domestic: 6,394,283 (+11%)
International: 2,436,355 (+21%)

Total: 8,830,638 (+14%)

If the growth continues in 2017 (which it surely will with all the announced additions), the Cebu Mactan Airport will serve more than 10 million passengers this year!

/Alex

PanzerPowner

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Well, i guess i contributed to the CEB Domestic and International marks, 4 of those numbers were my family.

Devilfish

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Devilfish wrote:
photo(s) of the new W

It appears PR has released an update of their new W offering different from the generic Y+ seat photo above.....

http://www.philippineairlines.com/en/~/ ... 060816.jpg

A generous seven-abreast cabin ala 767 :eyepopping: That's comfortably cool. :bigthumbsup:

cityairline wrote:
If the growth continues in 2017 (which it surely will with all the announced additions), the Cebu Mactan Airport will serve more than 10 million passengers this year!

And 5J is well-prepared to take advantage of that growth.....

http://www.philstar.com/business/2017/0 ... atr-72-600

Quote:
"MANILA, Philippines – Cebu Pacific’s wholly-owned subsidiary Cebgo has received its third ATR 72-600 high capacity aircraft. The budget carrier said the new aircraft delivered last Friday, would be utilized for the two new routes to be launched on Feb.15 such as Manila to Masbate, and Manila to Tablas.

[.....]

From this year until 2021, Cebu Pacific expects delivery of one more brand-new Airbus A330, 32 Airbus A321neos and 13 ATR 72-600 aircraft."

A pity no photo of 5J's newly-delivered ATR72-600 is currently available. :sigh:

Devilfish

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Oops...there's one in their home page.....

http://cebupacificaircorporate.com/Publ ... 82_web.jpg

And a photo of 5J's second ATR72-600 in the database.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Cebu-Pac ... X8axOTE%3D

Devilfish

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 am

CIAC in discussions with airlines about launching services to North America from CRK.....

http://www.philstar.com/business/2017/0 ... ca-flights

Quote:
"MANILA, Philippines - Clark International Airport Corp. (CIAC) is in talks with airlines for flights from Clark to the North American region.

'We are currently in negotiations with air carriers, particularly in connecting Clark to North America,' CIAC president and CEO Alex Cauguiran said but declined to disclose their identities.

The Clark International Airport caters to travelers coming from Regions 1 to 3 and the Camanava area (Caloocan-Malabon-Navotas-Valenzuela), which have a combined population of around 24.2 million.

'Clark ought to be the most logical and practical airport of choice of the people from the northern and central parts of Luzon,' Cauguiran said, citing the road congestion travelers from the North and Central Luzon would have to endure to get to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) in Manila.

Given the congestion at the NAIA, the government is promoting the Clark International Airport as an alternative."

In other news, flights to Surigao Airport were suspended in view of the serious damage caused by the 6.7 earthquake on its runway.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... ue-to.html

Quote:
"The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) has closed Surigao Airport this morning due to massive damage of its runway caused by intensity 6.7 earthquake that hit the city at 10:03pm last night. The airport closure is expected to last until March 10 as airport authorities rushes emergency repair works.

CAAP Surigao said the runway ground is still moving up to this writing due to aftershocks.

Meanwhile, Philippine Airlines subsidiary PAL Express (PAL) suspended its flights to the airport and offered free rebooking to the nearby Butuan Airport. PAL said they will accommodate Surigao-bound passengers via Butuan."

http://scontent.fmnl3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v ... e=5944C2F8

http://scontent.fmnl3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v ... e=593AFAF9

http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=BXU-CEB/MNL/ ... 0x540&PM=*

Devilfish

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 am

And now we're back to square one at NAIA... :hissyfit: ...

http://business.inquirer.net/224495/naia-ppp-put-hold

Quote:
"A massive public-private partnership (PPP) auction to expand and privatize the operations of Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) has been put on hold as the government decides to first come up with a comprehensive Luzon air gateway master plan, the head of the PPP Center said.

PPP Center executive director Ferdinand Pecson said last week that multiple government agencies, led by the Department of Transportation (DOTr), were reviewing new and existing airport proposals with the main goal of addressing air congestion in Manila and growing traffic elsewhere."

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/1404 ... b8c4_b.jpg

They had been studying ad infinitum what to do with NAIA :!: I'm afraid a lot of us would be too old before something comes out of it. :old:

Devilfish

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Nice new photo of PR's latest 77W in the database. :cheerful: And the rego number seems to hint of a potential replacement for their earliest leased frames. :cloudnine:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Philippi ... U0BA%3D%3D

However, it's a problem where PR would dock the above and their A359s at T2 when the latter start arriving next year. Maybe the authorities should plan their airport upgrade based on the A339/78J/779/A35K from hereon in and not use the A380/B748i anymore? :scratchchin:

Devilfish

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:55 pm

SMC has finally revealed the site of their proposed new gateway for MNL.....

http://business.inquirer.net/224608/dot ... an-airport

Quote:
"MANILA — Conglomerate San Miguel Corp.’s new international 'aerotropolis' in Bulacan province would cost about P700 billion to build and can be completed within six years.

Those were some of the details revealed on Wednesday by Department of Transportation (DOTr) Undersecretary Roberto Lim, whose office has been reviewing SMC’s unsolicited proposal to build a new international gateway that will eventually replace Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

Experts have agreed that a new airport serving Manila and nearby areas is needed, given that NAIA, which opened in the 1980s, has been operating well beyond its design capacity. Expansion options are also limited given its location within Metro Manila.

Details from Lim’s presentation showed perspectives of a massive airport and city complex covering about 2,500 hectares in Bulakan, Bulacan province. The project would rise along Manila Bay."

Curious that the presentation did not include the nice airport rendering SMC made public before. :scratchchin: The ~$14B price tag is rather steep and the six-year timetable quite optimistic :!:

http://www.maphill.com/search/bulakan-b ... llite-map/

It would need to be substantially built-up to mitigate the fishpond/rice paddy location and prevent the perennial flooding, especially in view of the rising sea level that climate change brings.

http://distancecalculator.globefeed.com ... V6ZM4WXvYY

However, it would be a relatively short 25-mile drive from Entertainment City via R-10 if that coastal road's extension becomes reality.

As an Inquirer columnist commented.....

http://business.inquirer.net/224629/las ... -airport-3

Quote:
"Meantime, as the report suggested, instead of privatization, why could the government itself not just take care of the Naia upgrade?"

Why couldn't they indeed :?:

Meanwhile, 5J just started services to Masbate and Tablas.....

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4sLUnkWQAAPM8Z.jpg

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... ablas.html

Quote:
"Cebu Pacific subsidiary Cebgo flies Masbate and Tablas beginning Wednesday, February 15 utilizing the newly acquired ATR 72-600 aircraft.

The airline will operate daily flights between Manila and Masbate and fly four times weekly (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday) between Manila and Tablas, in Romblon.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-MBT/TBH

Devilfish

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:44 am

manilaflyer

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:10 am

We at AirSWIFT just started our El Nido - Boracay flights. ATX 410/411 operates 4x a week (MWFSun) with our ATR42-600. Some photos from the inaugural below ....

Kit

anshabhi

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 am

Hey is any Indian or Filipino Airline planning any India-Philliphines flight?

Btw, Indian economy is the fastest growing major economy at 7%, and in January 2017 tourist arrivals grew by 22% in India!

anshabhi

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:41 pm

A little research led me to this article:

https://indiaaviationforum.blogspot.in/ ... i.html?m=1

PAL operated Manila-Delhi nonstop with A330 in 2011. It averaged less than 50% load factors and thus closed it. Another 1 stop Delhi-Bangkok-Manila A330, by PAL with full 5th freedom rights was stopped in 2013.

I think it would be good for IndiGo or SpiceJet to try Delhi-Manila again with A320/B738.
What do you say?

Devilfish

Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:02 pm

manilaflyer wrote:
We at AirSWIFT just started our El Nido - Boracay flights. ATX 410/411 operates 4x a week (MWFSun) with our ATR42-600. Some photos from the inaugural below .... Kit

Any plans for scheduled MNL-MPH or CRK-MPH services? Those photos are a sight to behold...thanks for sharing. It made my vision of ATR42-600 at Caticlan come true. Hopefully, this will help keep TPs there indefinitely. :crossfingers:

anshabhi wrote:
I think it would be good for IndiGo or SpiceJet to try Delhi-Manila again with A320/B738.

Apart from viable demand, I think finding slots would be a problem. Clark perhaps?

A video update on the progress of construction at CEB Terminal 2.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTPkwj1MP5I

Lastly, the latest wrinkle in the CRK International Gateway proposals.....

http://business.inquirer.net/226267/meg ... rk-airport

Not sure what exactly are involved...but between this and the $14B SMC proposal in Bulacan, it's easy to see which is more palatable. :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign:

manilaflyer

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:11 am

Hi Devilfish!

No plans yet for MNL-MPH as there is too much competition on the route already. :) Our next destination is Sicogon, as we're almost done with constructing the airport.

Here's some more from our inaugural. :)

CanadaFair

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:57 am

Photo by Shaheer

fusionliner

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Anyone read the news that PAL is gaining 2 new B777s in Dec/17 from Intrepid bringing the total number of B77Ws to 10?
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... e-Airlines

Devilfish

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 pm

manilaflyer wrote:
Our next destination is Sicogon, as we're almost done with constructing the airport.

That's very good news! Could you post airport construction update photos of ICO please?.....

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5rhSILL6o0o/maxresdefault.jpg

Would also like to see AirSWIFT's ATR42s at Panglao and Siargao domestic.....

http://boholtribune.com/wp-content/uplo ... rport1.jpg

http://www.jacinc.jp/result/img/project1_img02.jpg

http://adventuroj.files.wordpress.com/2 ... c_0573.jpg

.....when both airports are finally completed. :hyper:

fusionliner wrote:
Anyone read the news that PAL is gaining 2 new B777s in Dec/17 from Intrepid bringing the total number of B77Ws to 10?

Yes. PR like their 77Ws and could presumably be taking advantage of the prevailing lower lease rates, in the lead up to the 777X introduction. Question is how this would impact the six A359s due for delivery starting next year? :scratchchin:
Last edited by Devilfish on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilfish

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm

manilaflyer wrote:
Our next destination is Sicogon, as we're almost done with constructing the airport.

That's very good news! Could you post airport construction update photos of ICO please?.....

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5rhSILL6o0o/maxresdefault.jpg

manilaflyer wrote:
Here's some more from our inaugural. :)

Thank you very much :!: :bigthumbsup:

Would also like to see AirSWIFT's ATR42s at Panglao and Siargao domestic.....

http://boholtribune.com/wp-content/uplo ... rport1.jpg

http://www.jacinc.jp/result/img/project1_img02.jpg

http://adventuroj.files.wordpress.com/2 ... c_0573.jpg

.....when both airports are finally completed. :hyper:

fusionliner wrote:

Yes. PR like their 77Ws and could presumably be taking advantage of the prevailing lower lease rates, in the lead up to the 777X introduction. Question is how this would impact the six A359s due for delivery starting next year? :scratchchin:

manilaflyer

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:30 pm

@ Devilfish (sorry, long time lurker here, still haven't figured out how to use the quote function LOL)

Yeah sure, in a few months or so, when we start our route proving flights to Sicogon. :) I too would love to see the Blue Birds at my home province, Bohol! Maybe someday, fingers crossed to more tourists coming in. :D On a side note, we're about to go 2x M-W-F-Sun on our ENI-CEB flights. Flights to and from Cebu are always full, harder for me to non-rev on haha!

We're expecting our 4th AT42 at around 4Q this year too, btw.

Happy flyings

Kit

Devilfish

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 pm

manilaflyer wrote:
Devilfish (sorry, long time lurker here, still haven't figured out how to use the quote function LOL)

No worry...I too haven't got the hang of it since the changeover to the new format. Above became a duplicate post when I edited it. :embarrassed2: You just have to click on the quotation mark on the top right corner of the post you want to reply to. And from there you can delete the parts you do not want to be included in your quote. Add smileys if you prefer, click preview to see how your post would come out, then press submit when you're satisfied. :smile:

manilaflyer wrote:
We're expecting our 4th AT42 at around 4Q this year too, btw.

Good to know. :thumbsup:

Meantime, the CRK development project is shaping up to be a three-cornered fight... :box: ...

http://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/ ... 96x464.jpg

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/mpic-r ... k-airport/

Quote:
"WHILE two groups pitching for the development of the Clark International Airport are busy fighting for their “right” as the original proponent of the unsolicited proposal, Metro Pacific Investments Corp. (MPIC) is quietly preparing for its own offer.

MPIC President Jose Ma. K. Lim said that, while his group is gearing up for the planned public bidding for the development of Clark, the company has also hired experts to conduct a prefeasibility study for an unsolicited proposal.

'We have heard the two other proponents are preparing for a public bidding, but we are also prepared to submit our own proposal,” he said in an interview. “We are still working on it, and we have hired external consultants for the prefeasibility study'."

In other news, 5J says A321neo delays are impacting their plans.....

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... owth-plans

Quote:
"Cebu Pacific is making contingency plans to handle potential further delays to its Airbus A321neo deliveries, which could disrupt the carrier’s fleet and network strategy. The Philippines-based LCC is due to receive its first A321neo in November, said Ian Wolfe, the carrier’s head of engineering and fleet management. This target has already been pushed back a few months, and an additional delay appears likely, Wolfe told Aviation Daily."

SANFan

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 am

A quote from the article in post #25 (re: 2 more T7s to be leased, from Intrepid):
“These new aircraft will help extend our presence into North America and will be introduced on our London route as well,” Mr. Bautista concluded.

Has anyone heard anything about this "extended presence into N America"? Any new routes/cities being discussed, or, more likely, just increased capacity from already existing stations in the US and Canada?

bb

globalcabotage

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:20 am

We all know these planes will go to DTW!

airlinebuilder

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:53 am

Hot OFF THE PRESS:
5J closes a deal for 8 B77W to fly the transpac routes.
It will be a bi-class (premium economy and regular economy)

The Transpac War begins for the two Philippine carriers.

georgiabill

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Will these be new builds or used 77W'S? If used who was the previous operator? Will they be owned or leased by 5J, If leased from which lessor? Has 5J indicated a delivery schedule for these 77W'S?

Has 5J indicated any of their plans for destinations to be served? Will 5J operate flights from both CEB and MNL on these flights or just MNL?

Thanks for any information on this

carlokiii

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 pm

I have tried searching for any info on this, none yet showed up. It wouldn't make sense for these to be new-builds, and personally, I don't think they need that much plane (77W), and that many (8). The last piece on this still indicated a choice between the obvious 787 vs A350.

Up until their update a few months ago, the load factors for their medium haul A330 flights were abysmal. But they just released their annual report with impressive growth and profit though so let's see how this plays out.

Devilfish

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:27 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Hey is any Indian or Filipino Airline planning any India-Philliphines flight?

Flightglobal had this short article a while back.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... to-433096/

SANFan wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about this "extended presence into N America"?

All that was mentioned were the increase in frequency to existing routes and upgauge from the current A340s. OTOH, everything is also very quiet on the PR A359 front. :spin:

SANFan wrote:
Any new routes/cities being discussed

If you're hoping to find SAN anywhere in the press releases, no such luck (so far), sorry.

airlinebuilder wrote:
The Transpac War begins for the two Philippine carriers.

Waged with these hush-hush 5J 77Ws and PR's ordered 77Ws and A359s :confused: All I could find is this report.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... su-435626/

Would you be so kind and furnish us a reliable link to the information, please?

georgiabill wrote:
Has 5J indicated any of their plans for destinations to be served? Will 5J operate flights from both CEB and MNL on these flights or just MNL?

Well, 5J had previously said they were looking at LAX and YVR from MNL.

carlokiii wrote:
It wouldn't make sense for these to be new-builds, and personally, I don't think they need that much plane (77W), and that many (8).

If reports that the widebody market is in the doldrums and the 77W is being marketed aggressively to bridge production until the 777X comes are accurate, then it's plausible that 5J would bite. Whether they'd be able to fill the plane is another matter altogether.

carlokiii wrote:
The last piece on this still indicated a choice between the obvious 787 vs A350.

Perhaps the 787 is a bit small for 5J's long-haul LCC model to work, while the A350 may be a tad too expensive? They could've been looking at the A330neo but 5J probably thought that the touted payload/range improvements were not up to snuff.

carlokiii wrote:
Up until their update a few months ago, the load factors for their medium haul A330 flights were abysmal. But they just released their annual report with impressive growth and profit though so let's see how this plays out.

5J still has not launched their long-planned foray to HNL, so this may have something to do with it.

In other developments, PAL is hoping to close a deal with a strategic investor.....

http://business.inquirer.net/226852/pal ... first-half

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Philippi ... U0BA%3D%3D

While NAIA airline passengers will have to wait one more month (at least) before they can use the pedestrian bridge to and from Terminal 3.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJKHuak6oF8

Thanks to DV channel for the update :!:

Devilfish

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:33 am

There's supposed to be a 5J A330 in this lineup but I can't make it out.....

Is it the one with yellowish tail at the extreme right? Anyway, I'm wondering when PR's A359s will make an appearance..... :spin:

Meanwhile, launch reports of a few planned services announced earlier.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... teway.html

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... o-hub.html

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... nsion.html

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... clark.html

crownvic

Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:10 am

Does anyone know what happened to the "Philippine Flight Network" site? They have not updated it in what seems like 6 months.

cityairline
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:39 pm

It's great that PR decided to get two more 77Ws, only a few months after they received their two newest 77Ws, for a total of 10 777-300ER! Don't mean to be boring, but I'm sure they intend to increase SFO to eventually reach double daily, just like LAX did thanks to the latest two 777s.

I also must say that I find the recent developments, such as PALs new ICN-TAG route, very interesting and nice to see! To fly tourists that are headed for the beach resorts direct to their destinations, avoiding both MNL and CEB, is fantastic. I am convinced that this is something we will witness more and more in the nearest future, flights from China/Korea/Japan to the likes of TAG and PPS...

Devilfish

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:39 am

5J's latest A330 makes its appearance..... :bigthumbsup:

As well as an ATR72-600..... (from the A350 P&D thread) .....

http://imagr.eu/up/JakKZ_C-QmZTeXYAAwcFf.jpg

Meanwhile, PR reiterated that its first A359 would be delivered in 2018.....

http://business.inquirer.net/228281/pal ... -london-us

Quote:
"The journey towards reaching this goal is the implementation of flagship initiatives such as fleet modernization which includes the acquisition of six brand new Airbus A3350s for delivery starting mid-2018 and the reconfiguration of eight monoclass Airbus A330s to tri-class lay-out by mid July."

In another article, PAL took exception to media reports that its plane made an emergency landing at SYD.....

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/155265 ... ey-airport

Quote:
"MANILA — The Philippine Airlines (PAL) denied on Monday that its aircraft made an emergency landing in Sydney, Australia, on Sunday but it confirmed that it returned to Kingsford Smith International Airport 'due to a technical issue.'

In a statement, PAL spokesperson Maria Cielo Villaluna disclosed that PR 212 departed Sydney at 1:06 p.m. local time but the flight circled back to the airport for a technical check of the aircraft, which carried 218 passengers and 14 flight crew.

'The A340 aircraft landed normally and was subjected to a technical check,' said Villaluna. 'No emergency landing was declared by the pilot of PR 212,' she pointed out."

Devilfish

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 am

The new Puerto Princesa International Airport Terminal is set to open......

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... may-3.html

Quote:
"The Transport Department (DOTr) will inaugurate the new Puerto Princesa International Airport Terminal Project on May 3, 2017.

The new $185 million Korean Export Import Bank (KEXIM) funded passenger terminal building (PTB) with ICQ facility was designed to accommodate 1.9 million passengers annually but could handle up to 5 million per annum. It has a floor area of 13,000 square meter as compared to the existing terminal with 2,400 sqm of floor space. Construction started August of 2014.

The airport expansion project costs $102.56 million while its PTB design and build contract, awarded to Korean group Kumho Industrial Co. Ltd.-GS Engineering and Construction joint venture, was worth $82.9 million, according to the Department of Transport (DOTr)."

https://scontent.fmnl3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=59979AC8

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/Da ... qztvji.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zj4o5GFUPuU/ ... 00/pps.JPG

5J issued an advisory to its customers re the coming ASEAN Conference.....

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/892306/ceb ... eave-early

.....and State visits.....

http://www.inquirer.net/

Devilfish

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:24 pm

PAL's turn to (a bit belatedly) advise their riding public.....

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/892379/pal ... ean-summit

And in view of the powerpoint presentation parading the DOTR's airport projects.....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... jects.html

.....this very vigilant follower of their "accomplishments" asks why nothing is moving at NAIA... :confused: ...

http://www.philstar.com/business/2017/0 ... ing-fruits

Quote:
"The other low hanging fruit I see has to do with expanding PAL’s space at NAIA. Last October, I had this conversation with Jimmy Bautista, PAL’s president. I complained about the crowded conditions at Terminal 2 and he agreed something ought to be done.

Jimmy said they are thinking of asking government to allow them to connect Terminal 1 with Terminal 2 with a bridge or a train system we see in many airports abroad. He said that Terminal 1 is not as crowded anymore, which is why they unload their trans-Pacific passengers there.

It is a quick solution that demands immediate implementation. Jimmy said PAL will finance the cost so no government funds will be needed. But to me, the real solution is a new terminal where the abandoned Philippine Village Hotel is now located. Such a terminal can be connected to Terminal 2.

In fact, I am told by aviation people that they are running out of parking space for the airplanes at NAIA. The two main domestic carriers, PAL and Cebu Pacific, have been buying new planes aggressively. PAL alone may have almost a hundred planes in its fleet soon.

It is time for PAL and DOTr officials to sit down and agree to do something. Regardless of government’s eventual plans for NAIA, alleviating congestion at NAIA right now should be top priority."

Devilfish

Sat May 13, 2017 2:17 am

It seems the Government has decided to fund the development of Clark International Airport as the alternative gateway to MNL.....

http://business.inquirer.net/229038/dot ... rk-airport

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/govern ... brid-mode/

I may be cynical, but governments haven't exactly shown a stellar record for accomplishing projects on time, on specs and within budget. Hopefully, it's not just a move meant to facilitate access to funds by some sticky fingers. :crossfingers:

MHG

Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 am

Interestingly I have not seen any mention of CebGo`s MNL hub apparently being moved to CEB in 2018 to free up slots for 5J ...
Maybe that´s connected to 5J´s plan to aquire those B77W (these a/c need slots, too ...)

Devilfish

Sat May 13, 2017 2:23 pm

MHG wrote:
Interestingly I have not seen any mention of CebGo`s MNL hub apparently being moved to CEB in 2018 to free up slots for 5J ...
Maybe that´s connected to 5J´s plan to aquire those B77W (these a/c need slots, too ...)

5J may be waiting for the completion of Terminal 2 (photos below are quite dated) at CEB next year before they announce anything.....

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8w358vVoAATDjC.jpg

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2mEqiYUsAE5LG7.jpg

http://www.philippine-property.net/wp-c ... ia-t2a.jpg

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2mEqiVUkAALyJy.jpg

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2mEqiVVEAAzLWX.jpg

http://www.philippine-property.net/wp-c ... cia-t2.jpg

http://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com ... 9920_n.jpg

http://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8186/29577 ... f58c_c.jpg

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.28 ... 8192_n.jpg

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.28 ... 5120_n.jpg

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.28 ... 1168_n.jpg

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.28 ... 5360_n.jpg

The extensive use of engineered laminated wood (though very beautiful) for main roof structural members will certainly require very stringent fire, moisture and termite protection measures. :old:

MHG

Sat May 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks for the pictures.
That looks all quite promising now.
You may be right these plans are likely in anticipation of much better (and modern) terminal capacity.
I expect that more airlines than before might consider CEB when the new terminal is operational.
But ultimately the move of CebGo´s hub from MNL to CEB is to free up slots for larger aircraft at MNL.

TheGeordielad

Sat May 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Great pictures! Terminal shaping up nicely but when In 2018 is it meant to be finished?

Devilfish

Sun May 14, 2017 4:15 am

MHG wrote:
Thanks for the pictures.

You're welcome. I picked those off the web. However, neither the contractor nor the authorities have publicly released updated construction videos or latest progress photos of the project. :camera:

MHG wrote:
That looks all quite promising now.

TheGeordielad wrote:
Terminal shaping up nicely but when In 2018 is it meant to be finished?

Well, we all know what happens when government gets involved...they 'promise' a lot.....

http://www.cab.gov.ph/news/3032-dotr-vo ... ts-on-time

Quote:
"The government’s infrastructure projects will be completed on time, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) yesterday confirmed.

The transport agency conducted inspections of four ongoing projects – two airports, a seaport and a passenger terminal building.

DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade inspected the P17.52-billion Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) Terminal 2, which is almost half completed and slated to be operational by the middle of 2018."

The superstructure may be the hardest part...but the devil is in the details. :devil:

Devilfish

Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 pm

A couple more photos of CEB T2 under construction.....

http://www.ida-hk.com/wp-content/upload ... id-bay.jpg

http://www.ida-hk.com/wp-content/upload ... t-Arch.jpg

Sub-roof, ducting and skylight installation..... :yes:

Osubuckeyes

Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Was curious if anyone knows why MNL-TBH is now operated by 5J instead of PAL? I flew this back in November on PAL and it was pretty convenient connecting from the US, unfortunately when I go back next year an airline switch will be a must :(.

Devilfish

Fri May 19, 2017 2:06 am

Osubuckeyes wrote:
Was curious if anyone knows why MNL-TBH is now operated by 5J instead of PAL?

I can only speculate. PAL discontinued some of its domestic routes due to poor revenue performance. Maybe TBH was one of those which was not resumed so 5J stepped in to fill the breach. In hindsight, CEBGO may be the better suited subsidiary to continue said 4 x weekly service, as indicated in #17.

In other news, the redevelopment of NAIA and CRK gained the support of an influential business group... :highfive: ...

http://business.inquirer.net/229807/bus ... evelopment

It may just be what is needed to push both projects onto the fast lane. :spin:

Meanwhile, 5J's latest A333 is poised for delivery. From the A330 P&FT thread.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120683727@N06/33912184353/

Would be a nice fixture at its future hub... :thumbsup: ...

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1541/2425 ... d04d_b.jpg

Clearer photos of the new PPS airport terminal (courtesy of PASBS.com)..... :bigthumbsup:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wbUJKezbdcs/W ... 0/pps8.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VoWaJAHCSoY/W ... 0/pps7.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pPnwvV7YyHE/W ... 0/pps4.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0txrqox9_yY/W ... 0/pps1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IuLbx-GdA94/W ... 0/pps3.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hBnyCm7kE70/W ... 0/pps2.jpg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos