Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bingo1

Re: Potential Delta CSeries Routes

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:21 pm

I'd love to see them fly the C-series into Canada but somehow I doubt that's in the plans. Would there be demand for a single daily SEA-YUL or ATL-YVR? Or will they try to break into AC dominated markets like LAX-YUL or SEA-YYZ? This might be the plane that will help them get back some of the dominance they inherited from NWA in Western Canada. When going the USA it's usually more agreeable to travel on a UA 737 vs the copious amounts of CR9's DL is sending.

On the USA domestic side we might see the C-series traded for the 737 and go daily instead of 4X weekly on DTW-PDX.

Boeing717200

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Look at where Compass flies to from SEA and LAX, plus any 717's out of SEA,LAX and SLC. There is your answer.

CairnterriAIR

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm sure this aircraft will see service on a lot of routes. Some I can think of.....

BDL-DTW
BDL-MSP
PWM-ATL
PVD-ATL
PVD-DTW
The Delta Shuttle
DTW-FAR
DAL-ATL
DFW-DTW
DFW-MSP
LGA-MIA
LGA-PBI
LGA-FLL
EYW-ATL
NAS-ATL
SYR-ATL
BUF-DTW
HVN-ATL (possible new market)

Just some I can think of.

flyboy80

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:10 am

Are they really going to fly 4 hour flights on thin routes with this plane? I just can't see that, but I think the aircraft will be very common up and down the west-coast in and out of SEA, LAX, SLC to a variety of markets including some of the smaller inter mountain west that receive seasonal or limited mainline.

kon

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Bingo1 wrote:
On the USA domestic side we might see the C-series traded for the 737 and go daily instead of 4X weekly on DTW-PDX.

As much as I would love to see some improvement on this route, I'd be shocked if they used this plane to replace a 737 before it takes over some CRJ/717 routes.

bd777

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:28 am

As much I don't think they will be based in ATL, I'd love to see them launch ATL-FAT or even FAT-MSP one of these days and the Cseries would be the perfect plane to use. I recall DL was going to launch FAT back in 2007 before it got scrapped because of the recession, and with AA going double daily 738's to DFW I bet DL could easily fill a daily or 5x a week service.

Realistically though, I can also see them being used heavily on west coast shuttle routes out of LAX and SEA.

lavalampluva

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:06 am

I suspect that this will be replacing the 88s and older 319. So it would make sense to fly those routes. IMO.

cheapgreek

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
I'm sure this aircraft will see service on a lot of routes. Some I can think of.....

BDL-DTW
BDL-MSP
PWM-ATL
PVD-ATL
PVD-DTW
The Delta Shuttle
DTW-FAR
DAL-ATL
DFW-DTW
DFW-MSP
LGA-MIA
LGA-PBI
LGA-FLL
EYW-ATL
NAS-ATL
SYR-ATL
BUF-DTW
HVN-ATL (possible new market)

Just some I can think of.

HVN is a huge untapped market. The 5600 foot runway has cost the airport to miss out on new service for years. NW twice proposed HVN-DTW service, first with DC-9's and then CRJ-200's. AA had HVN on a list for ERJ-145's to ORD. Since then, many obstructions have been removed, and plans are in the works to pave the gravel overruns. From 1991 to 1996 UA ran 737's to ORD but many times weight restrictions caused passengers to be deplaned.
It appears the CS-100 should work at HVN to ATL and DTW.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:08 am

Sort of a necro-post, but with relevant new information. The CS100 fleet will begin based out of New York. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... rk-439306/

I suspect LaGuardia will be the first base for the CS100s, as a lot of E170/E175 flights operate into LGA, but hardly any operate into JFK. The idea is that these routes will be up-gauged to mainline service.

TransWorldOne

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:40 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Sort of a necro-post, but with relevant new information. The CS100 fleet will begin based out of New York. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... rk-439306/

I suspect LaGuardia will be the first base for the CS100s, as a lot of E170/E175 flights operate into LGA, but hardly any operate into JFK. The idea is that these routes will be up-gauged to mainline service.

Very interesting. Common knowledge on a.net would have you believe that they would initially be flying out of West Coast hubs. Disappointed to learn that it may be a while before we see them at SEA.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:41 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Very interesting. Common knowledge on a.net would have you believe that they would initially be flying out of West Coast hubs. Disappointed to learn that it may be a while before we see them at SEA.

LGA is a slot-restricted airport though. One can't add frequencies, and so one has to up-gauge flights instead. SEA and LAX can get additional frequencies, but for LGA, it's up-gauge to mainline. Potential routes I see happening: BOS, DCA, STL, BNA, ORD, and trans-border services. I also expect that BOS-JFK will go to mainline where it's a CRJ9 now.

ty97

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:19 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:

The article indicates that the CS100 will free up some 76-seat flying so those planes can free up 50-seat flying. Would that be 50-seat flying in NYC or at other hubs? How much 50-seat flying does DL have left in NYC?

aemoreira1981 wrote:
LGA is a slot-restricted airport though. One can't add frequencies, and so one has to up-gauge flights instead. SEA and LAX can get additional frequencies, but for LGA, it's up-gauge to mainline. Potential routes I see happening: BOS, DCA, STL, BNA, ORD, and trans-border services. I also expect that BOS-JFK will go to mainline where it's a CRJ9 now.

Some Florida, like RSW, is heavily CR9 depending on season (right now 1X 319, 3X CR9). Potential for RSW and any other similarly situated Florida cities to perhaps see the CS100 added.

Much of Florida mainline from LGA is 319 and 717 IME (some 320 as well), so the CS100 is in the right general size family for DL it appears.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:41 am

ty97 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

The article indicates that the CS100 will free up some 76-seat flying so those planes can free up 50-seat flying. Would that be 50-seat flying in NYC or at other hubs? How much 50-seat flying does DL have left in NYC?

aemoreira1981 wrote:

Some Florida, like RSW, is heavily CR9 depending on season (right now 1X 319, 3X CR9). Potential for RSW and any other similarly situated Florida cities to perhaps see the CS100 added.

Much of Florida mainline from LGA is 319 and 717 IME (some 320 as well), so the CS100 is in the right general size family for DL it appears.

50-seat service to New York on Delta tends to be seasonal. JFK tends to see a few CRJ2 flights a day in summer season. I didn't realize that SoFlo might also be upgauged to mainline service.

Of note is that ATL isn't chosen for the start of CSeries service...I wonder if DL is concerned about the subtropical climate that has plagued larger PW narrow-body engines.

ty97

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I didn't realize that SoFlo might also be upgauged to mainline service.

It might not me, I'm definitely just guessing here :)

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Of note is that ATL isn't chosen for the start of CSeries service...I wonder if DL is concerned about the subtropical climate that has plagued larger PW narrow-body engines.

I'm not a fleet planner so I really don't know anything about this stuff, but in my gut I never thought of ATL as a major target (at least initially) for the CS100. The ATL hub is so big and can handle so many large aircraft as a result of that, the CS100 felt a bit small to me for ATL. Though I'm sure there are specific ATL routes that can, and will, benefit from the CS100 over time, I never considered the CS100 having a huge presence at ATL. But again, I'm guessing here :)

seanpmassey

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:47 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:

Actually...I wonder if it might be JFK. When I was in T4 a few weeks ago, I noticed that some of the gates had markings for the CS100 and CS300. I grabbed a picture of it because I thought it was weird that there would be ramp markings for an aircraft that wouldn't be entering service with Delta for another year.

This was taken down by gate B55 at JFK T4.

24Whiskey

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:24 am

You can also see a line for the E190/195. I want to say at some gates in DTW you can still find a line for the DC-9.

Not really much to read into.

ty97

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:44 am

24Whiskey wrote:
You can also see a line for the E190/195. I want to say at some gates in DTW you can still find a line for the DC-9.

When they say 'NYC' I expect it will likely be both airports, but yeah, drawing lines makes sense as a 'just in case' possibility. If you run the aircraft at all, paint the lines.

ty97

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:46 am

ty97 wrote:
24Whiskey wrote:

When they say 'NYC' I expect it will likely be both airports, but yeah, drawing lines makes sense as a 'just in case' possibility. If you run the aircraft at all, paint the lines.

That said, hold on, isn't B55 a connection gate? Are they planned on using the far end B connection gates for the Cseries potentially?

kimimm19

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:04 am

It would all start making sense about LGA and the Cseries with it's brilliant takeoff and short runway performance.

bkflyguy

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Actually, on the earnings call they discussed this and said the first one was going to New York

David Vernon

Good morning, guys. And thanks for taking the time to fit in the question. I wanted to see if you could comment a little bit about the C Series and how that will implemented in the network, whether it’s going to be put into upgauging existing sort of regional routes or whether you’re also going be putting aircraft into markets that maybe you don’t serve on a direct basis today?

Ed Bastian

The answer is a little bit of both. For high demand 76-seat long range RJ markets, we’re going to -- that will probably be the first selection. That will free the two class RJs to replace 50-seat airplanes that are continuing to exit the fleet and then we’ll certainly have a few new markets next year. We don’t have a lot of new airplanes -- net new airplanes coming, but having 100-seat long range jet does open up some new market opportunity that we don’t have today.

David Vernon

And as we think about maybe the first rollout of that, should we expecting it to be in more [Indiscernible] controlled airports where you can leverage that that upgauge benefit with at a [inaudible] fares, should we be thinking the newer market will be at the front end of the rollout?

Ed Bastian

Well, the first one’s going to go to New York. I won’t tell you where it’s going go, but it’ll start New York.

24Whiskey

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 pm

ty97 wrote:
That said, hold on, isn't B55 a connection gate? Are they planned on using the far end B connection gates for the Cseries potentially?

As DL continues to push for exclusive two-class flying in NYC you will see more mainline flights using those gates. Endeavor's CR2 base will likely be gone by the end of the year.

I did a double take first time I saw it roughly 6-8 months ago. These days it's not uncommon to see 717, 738, and 319/320 using those gates. However, it does shutdown the adjacent gate. I want to say at least 47, 51, 55 and their opposite partners are configured this way.

Regarding JFK vs LGA: As stated before DL has NYC (including EWR) as a co-domicile. You will likely see it starting at both JFK and LGA.

There's also talk of a virtual base in AUS/SAT coming from the pilot rumor mill. I don't know where it came from or if it's the pipe dreams of Texas commuters (like myself). Perhaps if they're eyeing it as a focus city in the future. Again it's probably 85% dreaming.

From my personal experience I believe many routes out of there would find a nice middle ground in the CS100 (JFK-AUS being one of them).

Polot

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:07 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
It would all start making sense about LGA and the Cseries with it's brilliant takeoff and short runway performance.

The perimeter rule limits the usefulness of that brilliant takeoff and short runway performance out of LGA however.

Cebo29

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:34 pm

CS aircraft will be originally deployed in the west coast. Later throughout the system and eventually the east coast as more are delivered. Yes... LGA & RDU included.

cvgComair

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Cebo29 wrote:
CS aircraft will be originally deployed in the west coast. Later throughout the system and eventually the east coast as more are delivered. Yes... LGA & RDU included.

Not according to Ed Bastian, NYC is first.

TransWorldOne

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Cebo29 wrote:

Dude, have you even read any of the previous replies? Delta's CEO himself said that the first C Series will fly out of New York.

ty97

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:14 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
There's also talk of a virtual base in AUS/SAT coming from the pilot rumor mill. I don't know where it came from or if it's the pipe dreams of Texas commuters (like myself). Perhaps if they're eyeing it as a focus city in the future. Again it's probably 85% dreaming.

From my personal experience I believe many routes out of there would find a nice middle ground in the CS100 (JFK-AUS being one of them).

You are reviving my little personal pipe dream of an AUS mini-hub for DL. I could really see it working.

klm617

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:18 pm

If the CS100 is truly going to replace the M88 guess what the hubs that rely heavily on the M88 for there operation are going to take a big capacity hit so don't expect this plane in the ATL market in big numbers. Time will tell how this all will play out.

jplatts

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:39 pm

I could see DL adding mainline flights from LGA to MCI, STL, IND, MKE, CVG, BNA, CLT, DFW, and IAH using CS100 planes or even A319, A320, or 737 planes if necessary.

kimimm19

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Polot wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

The perimeter rule limits the usefulness of that brilliant takeoff and short runway performance out of LGA however.

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with this, what rule is this?

OA940

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:13 pm

IIRC they said that many would go to DTW so I assume many routes there, but mainly 717 ones.

ty97

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:17 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
Polot wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

The Port Authority (PANYNJ) that runs the NYC area airports has, for decades, had a perimeter rules in place for LGA which states that flights to/from LGA can not travel more than 1500 miles. There is an exception for DEN, because DEN flights existed when the 1500 mile perimeter was instituted. And Saturday is also an exception. Otherwise, there are no exceptions and all flights must operate within that 1500 mile perimeter.

As a result, LGA can (and does) have regularly scheduled flights to DFW and IAH (both within perimeter) but not to AUS or SAT (both slightly outside perimeter).

wedgetail737

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:23 pm

It would be cool to fly something new along the west coast when it starts up. But I still like flying on the 717's.

jplatts

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:55 pm

ty97 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
Polot wrote:

The Port Authority (PANYNJ) that runs the NYC area airports has, for decades, had a perimeter rules in place for LGA which states that flights to/from LGA can not travel more than 1500 miles. There is an exception for DEN, because DEN flights existed when the 1500 mile perimeter was instituted. And Saturday is also an exception. Otherwise, there are no exceptions and all flights must operate within that 1500 mile perimeter.

As a result, LGA can (and does) have regularly scheduled flights to DFW and IAH (both within perimeter) but not to AUS or SAT (both slightly outside perimeter).

Southwest also has nonstops from LGA to both DAL and HOU, both are which are in the LGA perimeter. There are also nonstops out of LGA to DEN on United, Delta, Southwest, and Frontier.

tlecam

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:06 pm

If, as rumored, the C-series range and fuel efficiency are used on the west coast, I wouldn't be surprised if DL uses the 717's to add/upgauge service in RDU and BOS.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they use the range of the CS to add new long, thin routes from cities like BOS and RDU.

In BOS, I could see them upgauging certain routes that are flown with a CR9 or E175 during peak hours - gates are getting quite tight in terminal A during peak morning/evening times, and DL has said they want to add another 50 or so flights to get up to ~150/day. They're likely going to have to wait for WN to move over to B, which isn't until next year sometime.

I also wonder if the C-Series will be used by DL to add more flying in "non-hubs" like they've done with BOS (which is called a hub for marketing purposes) and RDU - like AUS for example.

kimimm19

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 am

ty97 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:
Polot wrote:

That's very interesting! Thank you for explaining. Is there a specific reason as to why this rule is in place?

ghifty

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 am

kimimm19 wrote:
ty97 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

That's very interesting! Thank you for explaining. Is there a specific reason as to why this rule is in place?

Basically to "protect" JFK from competition in its younger days. When established in 1950, it was a 2,000 mile perimeter. Reduced to the current 1,500 in '84.

kimimm19

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 am

ghifty wrote:

Basically to "protect" JFK from competition in its younger days. When established in 1950, it was a 2,000 mile perimeter. Reduced to the current 1,500 in '84.

Any chance of it being abolished in the near term future?

jfklganyc

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:59 am

Just to clarify...because there seems to be some confusion.

These are mainline aircraft flown by Delta pilots

Elementalism

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Love to see this in MSP.

GSP psgr

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:08 pm

PIT/CLE/MKE/MEM/JAX/BHM/CMH-SLC

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:35 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
PIT/CLE/MKE/MEM/JAX/BHM/CMH-SLC

Is that your fondest wish, or a prediction?

Not one of those airport pairs is flown today (and I mean today): not by a Delta E75, 717, or 319; not by any scheduled carrier.

Somehow I don't think building up long, thin thin routes to SLC is going to be DL's first priority with CS100s.

ty97

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
ghifty wrote:

Any chance of it being abolished in the near term future?

It's apparently being 'reviewed' but that's been going on for a what feels like a couple of years now. I think there is concern that some smaller markets may lose LGA access if the perimeter is removed. Local residents may also be concerned about larger/louder aircraft at LGA, though that can be controlled by an aircraft size limit (I'm not sure anything larger than a 767 could operate in/out of LGA without payload restrictions anyway)

Mostly, this seems like a rule that has been in place so long that it's just accepted as the norm. I really would like to see it gone.

tlecam

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 pm

What is the theory on the local markets? That those routes would transfer to JFK/EWR or just be dropped altogether if they're replaced by larger markets beyond today's perimeter? My assumption is that this is about access to NYC, and not about connecting traffic?

ERJ170

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say RDU-LGA/JFK/BOS/AUS will go C100.. not all but some

cheapgreek

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 am

tlecam wrote:
What is the theory on the local markets? That those routes would transfer to JFK/EWR or just be dropped altogether if they're replaced by larger markets beyond today's perimeter? My assumption is that this is about access to NYC, and not about connecting traffic?

Local markets can always make a connection to LGA. Using the limited number of slots for 50 seat RJ's is not the efficient use of a slot controlled airport.

ty97

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:13 am

tlecam wrote:

I'm not terribly versed in the arguments for keeping the rule, but say the perimeter was removed. We would undoubtedly see flights launched almost immediately to LAX, SFO, SEA, PDX, SAN, PHX, AUS and more. Since LGA is slot controlled something would to go. Would the cities that lose service get replacement service to JFK, or would service just end? That seems to be the concern.

ty97

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 am

ty97 wrote:
tlecam wrote:

I'm not terribly versed in the arguments for keeping the rule, but say the perimeter was removed. We would undoubtedly see flights launched almost immediately to LAX, SFO, SEA, PDX, SAN, PHX, AUS and more. Since LGA is slot controlled airlines would have to cut flights to start these new flights. Would the cities that lose service get replacement service to JFK, or would service just end? That seems to be the concern.

atl100million

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:50 am

Sooner or later the C series will fly LAX-ORD, the largest market that DL does not serve.

The C series is the most cost effective aircraft that can serve the market.

Beyond that, Texas to the east and west coasts., esp. the NE and NW of the US which currently requires a 319 or larger.

DL has plenty of 717s that can fly shorter routes. There is no reason to tie up C series aircraft on flights that the nearly identically sized 717 can fly.

The economics of many 319 routes will dramatically increase on the C series. There has to be very strong profitability on those routes for the 319 to remain over the C series.

Of course, DL could put all 75 of its C series in service within months but that isn't what is going to happen.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:29 am

Yeah, I was going to suggest that the CS100 is more likely to be fill the capacity/range gap where more capacity on a given flight is needed than the E75/CR9 but that needs more range than the 717 but has more favorable economics than the A319.

NYC is the first market mentioned publicly, and recently by DL executives. It actually makes sense from a competitive standpoint as DL can use the aircraft to either increase capacity on targeted flights/routes and/or maintain frequency/capacity. There is a lot of competition and cost-pressure in certain markets from NYC, both by B6 at JFK, AA at JFK/LGA, and UA at EWR were the C-Series will have more favorable economics than an A319 or 717, or be spilling traffic on CR9/E75s.

The C-Series in ATL will only make sense in limited markets, simply because the hub is so big and dense, that the short stuff is more effectively flown with 717s, and the vast majority of mainline flights are flown on 150-190 seat aircraft. As said in other threads, ATL is continuing to see more 739ER, A321, and 757H/D since at peak times they can't add more frequency in most markets, only can increase capacity/seats per departure.

ehaase

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The C-Series in ATL will only make sense in limited markets, simply because the hub is so big and dense, that the short stuff is more effectively flown with 717s, and the vast majority of mainline flights are flown on 150-190 seat aircraft.

I know it's probably 10 years away but I think it will be interesting how Delta replaces the 717. The C series seems too much plane for routes like JAN to ATL, and Delta has lots of 717 routes like that. Of course, JAN gets the 737-700 and occasionally a 319 now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos