clrd4t8koff

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:27 am

VS4ever wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
CAA - released December UK numbers - DY BOS-LGW pretty much spot on from November with 91.5% LF. Only 1% drop in BOS-LHR traffic as well.

Also, though it appears the D8/NAI operation is heading for smaller airports such as PVD, a DY spokesperson has said “Boston is a very important destination in Norwegian’s long-term expansion plans – as are the UK and Ireland. This is not changing.”

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/eur ... expansion/

Surely LGW has to go Daily? 90% LF's in Dec is nuts.... now whether they are dumping capacity to get it there, who knows, but given LHR can't get anywhere near that kind of load, it clearly shows the market is there and could be expanded, I have to think BA are looking at this as a defensive measure, but then again, they are so married to LHR, maybe they are ok with letting DY have their fun at LGW. Maybe for now it switches to year round 789, at 344 pax that's a big number to fill 4 times a week, but i am beyond impressed with this, i must say.

Yeah i didn't think they would abandon their key major routes, after all got to do something with those 787's... but nice to see BOS specifically get a mention there.

I'm actually surprised BA hasn't moved one of their 4-dailies to LGW to combat DY. BA has/is starting JFK/OAK/FLL-LGW to go up against DY. Why is BOS being left out when BOS is their second largest U.S. station and DY is crushing it on BOS-LGW?

chrisnh

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:46 am

If BA 'moves' a flight to LGW does that mean the LHR slot has been abandoned and therefore can be picked up by another carrier?

adamh8297

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
I'm actually surprised BA hasn't moved one of their 4-dailies to LGW to combat DY. BA has/is starting JFK/OAK/FLL-LGW to go up against DY. Why is BOS being left out when BOS is their second largest U.S. station and DY is crushing it on BOS-LGW?

I believe BA just added capacity on Bay Area and South Florida and only switched a JFK route (which they have a boat load of flights combined with AA).

It may be harder to do this in BOS due to medium size of the station.

BA's options are

1) Switching a LHR flight to LGW
2) Adding a LGW flight
3) Letting DY have their piece of the pie

chrisnh wrote:
If BA 'moves' a flight to LGW does that mean the LHR slot has been abandoned and therefore can be picked up by another carrier?

No its BA's slot - they could launch anything with it. DL's slot does revert back to AA/BA soon (2-3 years??) as has been posted on here. I think DL were to magically drop it tomorrow it goes back in the bidding pool.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

aaflyer777

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:45 pm

I thought I read somewhere that BA's LGW fleet was maxed out so that might have something to do with it.

clrd4t8koff

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:29 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
I believe BA just added capacity on Bay Area and South Florida and only switched a JFK route (which they have a boat load of flights combined with AA).

It may be harder to do this in BOS due to medium size of the station.

I thought of that also, but why would BA go the more costly route and open brand new stations, as opposed to just adding LGW-SFO/MIA if all they wanted to do was add capacity to the Bay Area and S. Fla? You don't think it's any coincidence that the LGW-JFK/OAK/FLL are all flights that DY operate? Let's just be honest - does the Bay Area warrant BA service at all 3 major airports (SFO, OAK, SJC)? Does BA need service at both MIA & FLL? If the answer was 'yes' you would have seen service started long ago, as opposed to a reactionary move to DY.

adamh8297 wrote:
No its BA's slot - they could launch anything with it. DL's slot does revert back to AA/BA soon (2-3 years??) as has been posted on here. I think DL were to magically drop it tomorrow it goes back in the bidding pool.

When the slot goes back to BA - does it have to stay on the BOS route or can they move it anywhere?

Also - what will this mean for DL for BOS-LHR. Many posts suggest it's a very profitable route for them in the premium cabin despite the lower loads. Will DL just turn the route back over to VS and VS go double daily?

flightlust

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:53 am

Late posting, but got a picture of EK237 (A6-EUE) blow drying 22L on Thursday. Boston harbor has now returned to its rich whaling heritage. Sadly BA 239 for Sunday has been changed back to a B789 from the scheduled A388.

BTW, I didn't know, but if you contact Logan's media relations, they'll give you a pass to shoot now. Thanks to the Statey's for being understanding.

adamh8297

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
I thought of that also, but why would BA go the more costly route and open brand new stations, as opposed to just adding LGW-SFO/MIA if all they wanted to do was add capacity to the Bay Area and S. Fla? You don't think it's any coincidence that the LGW-JFK/OAK/FLL are all flights that DY operate? Let's just be honest - does the Bay Area warrant BA service at all 3 major airports (SFO, OAK, SJC)? Does BA need service at both MIA & FLL? If the answer was 'yes' you would have seen service started long ago, as opposed to a reactionary move to DY.

On the same page with you about the LGW adds being a response to DY just mentioning how OAK and FLL were market increases (i.e they didn't pull a flight from SFO) and how JFK was a frequency swap.

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Also - what will this mean for DL for BOS-LHR. Many posts suggest it's a very profitable route for them in the premium cabin despite the lower loads. Will DL just turn the route back over to VS and VS go double daily?

DL will have to get one either from VS, their Skyteam partners, or buy from another airline. They just bought 5 weeklies off Croatia Airlines.

flightlust wrote:
Late posting, but got a picture of EK237 (A6-EUE) blow drying 22L on Thursday. Boston harbor has now returned to its rich whaling heritage.

Great shot!!!!
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

MAH4546

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:06 am

DL loses its BOSLHR slot on March 31, 2018, IIRC.
a.

aaflyer777

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:09 am

There was a BOS-LHR slot up for grabs about a year ago which no one applied for, perhaps DL could take that one once they lose their current slot.

tjerome

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:42 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

I think we will see VS reduce LHR to seasonal before DL cuts it... DL being the airline from the US has more of a reach to the BOS market. Even with this coming summer VS will not operate to LHR daily (they won't operate on Weds/Saturday, which is also the day they do operate to MAN).
The comments and opinions expressed here are my own.
My FlightMemory

clrd4t8koff

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:44 am

tjerome wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

I think we will see VS reduce LHR to seasonal before DL cuts it... DL being the airline from the US has more of a reach to the BOS market. Even with this coming summer VS will not operate to LHR daily (they won't operate on Weds/Saturday, which is also the day they do operate to MAN).

I think you must have an outdated schedule? I just went through every Wednesday June 1-Sep 1 and both DL and VS have flights except Wednesday July 12th and Wednesday Aug 16th. For Saturday's I see both DL & VS operating except June 3rd, June 24th, July 8th and July 15th. All August they both operate. Again this is according to the DL schedules they have published. Seems like minor adjustments because of the MAN additions.

clrd4t8koff

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:53 am

aaflyer777 wrote:
There was a BOS-LHR slot up for grabs about a year ago which no one applied for, perhaps DL could take that one once they lose their current slot.

Any ideas where this slot came from that it was available to apply for?

chrisnh

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:56 am

As the only domestic airline at Logan showing any aspirations to expand and grow (not named 'JetBlue,' anyway), I would think DL would hold onto it...their LF notwithstanding.

B752OS

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:12 pm

chrisnh wrote:
As the only domestic airline at Logan showing any aspirations to expand and grow (not named 'JetBlue,' anyway), I would think DL would hold onto it...their LF notwithstanding.

Relating the DL, they are now an official partner of the Boston Calling music fest. Since its inception a few years ago, B6 was an official partner, now DL is replacing them. Maybe DL wants to up their marketing in the Boston area in conjunction with their uptick in service.

chrisnh

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:37 pm

Is there enough business BOS-AMS for KLM to come is, now that they have 787s?

VS4ever

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:00 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Is there enough business BOS-AMS for KLM to come is, now that they have 787s?

Based on the last couple of years info, I would say probably not, although loads are improving on the route, they average out in the Mid 80's. In theory you could add an additional summer seasonal on to the route, I certainly think that would work, but more realistically, I could see DL giving up one of the summer frequencies to KL, if they felt they wanted to do that.
is AMS in a JV KL/DL? as i guess that would drive that conversation too as metal neutral.

Personally I would love to see KL in BOS, as there would be a nice link there to transfer at AMS and go to BHX (which I am planning to do later in the year) and another international tail, but i just can't see the need for additional frequencies at the moment.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!

FGITD

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:10 pm

I wonder how many connecting passengers there are to Amsterdam that would otherwise take a direct KL flight. Though I suppose anyone who really wished to, would already be traveling direct on delta.

Really though, if KLM were ever to come, you'd think some serious thought would have to be put into putting immigration facilities in A, and making it more of a skyteam terminal.

adamh8297

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:26 pm

The only way KL enters BOS-AMS is if their partnership with DL dissolves completely and I do not see that happening anytime soon. Its pointless under the JV.

commavia

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Some interesting - though not that surprising or newsworthy - commentary regarding Emirates at BOS in an AvWeek article today entitled, "Amid Opposition, Emirates Remains Focused On U.S."

* Matthias Schmid, Emirates VP-U.S. sales characterized BOS as "one of the most successful route launches for Emirates," due primarily to the JetBlue feed
* Not planning to regularly send A380 to BOS, since double-daily 777 allows optimal schedule for connections at DXB, which is "especially important for the corporate travel market, which is very strong in Boston for Emirates"
* Up to 40% of the passengers on Emirates' BOS-DXB flights connect from other cities on JetBlue - with the biggest feed contributors being DTW, RDU, CLT and CLE
* JetBlue is described in the article as Emirates' "main East Coast partner," and Alaska as the "main partner on the West Coast"

B752OS

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:45 pm

commavia wrote:
Some interesting - though not that surprising or newsworthy - commentary regarding Emirates at BOS in an AvWeek article today entitled, "Amid Opposition, Emirates Remains Focused On U.S."

* Matthias Schmid, Emirates VP-U.S. sales characterized BOS as "one of the most successful route launches for Emirates," due primarily to the JetBlue feed
* Not planning to regularly send A380 to BOS, since double-daily 777 allows optimal schedule for connections at DXB, which is "especially important for the corporate travel market, which is very strong in Boston for Emirates"
* Up to 40% of the passengers on Emirates' BOS-DXB flights connect from other cities on JetBlue - with the biggest feed contributors being DTW, RDU, CLT and CLE
* JetBlue is described in the article as Emirates' "main East Coast partner," and Alaska as the "main partner on the West Coast"

Interesting tidbits. I'd be curious to know how much connecting traffic EK gets on their JFK flights and how much they will get on the newly started FLL flight.

clrd4t8koff

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:44 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
The only way KL enters BOS-AMS is if their partnership with DL dissolves completely and I do not see that happening anytime soon. Its pointless under the JV.

I agree that it is pointless, but lately we've seen KL enter markets like SLC and MSP, both of which are DL hubs and have service to AMS - so pointless under the JV. Due to that it doesn't seem that far fetched for KL to potentially serve BOS seasonally. The 787 would be a perfect fit for 1 of the 2 daily flights and would offer a much more competitive J product than DL's current 767.

tlecam

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:04 pm

DL and KLM seem cozy and since the JV is metal neutral, they probably mostly analyze which planes are right sized to the market. I think these are mostly flown by DL 333 and 332 (at least in the summer). The DL interior product is (arguably) more competitive since they ahve lay flat seats as opposed to the recliners on the KLM 333 and 332's.

THe KL 789 has something like 290 seats, which would be a pretty significant upgauge, especially for a 3rd flight.

Edit - DL is apparently flying two 333's for most of the summer. Not an upgauge, since DL puts about 290 seats or so in them.

I also had no idea that those 333's held that many people.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

VS4ever

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:13 pm

commavia wrote:

And here we were lamenting about how concerned we were about the loads when clearly EK were more than happy. Especially if they are getting plenty up front
I would be interested to know how many Canadian connections were on these flights as given the uplift in travel to those places I feel there is a correlation
Certainly makes sense with B6's entry into CLE as others have backed down.

Sad they are not planning to send the whale long terms but as we have discussed right now just not the butts on seats to make it worth it as a double daily option. However I wonder if they do their cut again like they did in 2016 to that temporary 1 daily that they bring it in then.

Glad to hear they are happy with the situation and hopefully they can continue to build the market

VS11

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:52 am

The Emirates FB page has a video from the A380 flight, including views from the cockpit and the ramp/gate.

tysmith95

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 am

Hate to bring in politics but I wonder if Trump's restrictions on immigration from Muslim countries will hurt Emirates feed to Boston. Lots of middle eastern students (with alot of money) in the Boston area.

adamh8297

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:09 am

tysmith95 wrote:
Hate to bring in politics but I wonder if Trump's restrictions on immigration from Muslim countries will hurt Emirates feed to Boston. Lots of middle eastern students (with alot of money) in the Boston area.

Except for Iran - people from the banned countries don't have a lot of money.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:47 am

tlecam wrote:
DL and KLM seem cozy and since the JV is metal neutral, they probably mostly analyze which planes are right sized to the market. I think these are mostly flown by DL 333 and 332 (at least in the summer). The DL interior product is (arguably) more competitive since they ahve lay flat seats as opposed to the recliners on the KLM 333 and 332's.

THe KL 789 has something like 290 seats, which would be a pretty significant upgauge, especially for a 3rd flight.

Edit - DL is apparently flying two 333's for most of the summer. Not an upgauge, since DL puts about 290 seats or so in them.

I also had no idea that those 333's held that many people.

Yeah, I certainly don't think there'd be a 3rd daily. But it'd be nice to see KL replace one of DL's 2x daily flights with a 789.

rnav2dlrey

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Yeah, I certainly don't think there'd be a 3rd daily. But it'd be nice to see KL replace one of DL's 2x daily flights with a 789.

i think KLM, whose network has relatively long stage lengths, has far better uses for a 789's economics than BOS. IIRC, KL is upgrading/investing in their A330 fleet (meaning that they'll be sticking around a bit longer). the A330 is the ideal widebody equipment for a short TATL hop.

B752OS

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Over on ArchBoston.org, user Datadyne007 posted a photo of the Terminal E expansion and also confirmed that the 3 new lounges in the expansion will be BA, EK and LH.

http://www.archboston.org/community/sho ... 46&page=13

airbazar

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:33 pm

B752OS wrote:
Over on ArchBoston.org, user Datadyne007 posted a photo of the Terminal E expansion and also confirmed that the 3 new lounges in the expansion will be BA, EK and LH.

Looks awesome. Now to rebuild the rest of the terminal to have those same high ceilings and huge windows. Imagine the view towards the Boston skyline :fever:
I wonder if BA/EK/LH will share their lounges with their respective partner carriers.

adamh8297

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Just noticed TP has changed the timings for S17 on the BOS-LIS flights. Changes takes place about resuming daily service the end of March. Plane will be on the ground now for 5 hours in BOS.

LIS-BOS 10:45-13:20
BOS-LIS 18:20-05:50 +1

airbazar

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:28 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Just noticed TP has changed the timings for S17 on the BOS-LIS flights. Changes takes place about resuming daily service the end of March. Plane will be on the ground now for 5 hours in BOS.

Yuck. Crappy schedule for O&D passengers. Good for connecting passengers and the airline. I can't stand those early evening TATL departures. 5:50am is only 00:50am EST which means the lights come on at least 1.5 hours before that. Who can get any rest/sleep with that schedule? *sigh* I wish they'd start a morning departure.

VS4ever

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:50 pm

the conversations between DY and PVD appear to be continuing.... with even DY's boss saying it's the plan..

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... een-europe

tjerome

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:30 pm

airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

Yuck. Crappy schedule for O&D passengers. Good for connecting passengers and the airline. I can't stand those early evening TATL departures. 5:50am is only 00:50am EST which means the lights come on at least 1.5 hours before that. Who can get any rest/sleep with that schedule? *sigh* I wish they'd start a morning departure.

Agreed - hate that early departure. Took DL BOS-AMS which left around 5pm last summer - I got maybe an hour of rest since I was in J but can't imagine how anyone in Y could sleep unless they got up at 4am the day of departure and would be in theory tired enough to sleep.

I hate that schedule but understand DL must have a lot of people on those early PM departures making connections to early AM departures from AMS (they have similarly scheduled flights from ATL, BOS, DTW, MSP at least during the summer)
The comments and opinions expressed here are my own.
My FlightMemory

VS4ever

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:18 pm

News update for Boston today:

LH is bringing the 359 starting in late March (although the way the article is written it's a little confusing, but looks to be 3/26 as a start date http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... arch-2017/

DL is making changes on AMS and CDG in terms of equipment: A333 full time on AMS and a switch from 764 to 763 on CDG, although noted the 752 to DUB has not changed at this point and is still planned to be daily. http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-05feb17/

Elsewhere still heavy (unconfirmed) rumors of AV coming to town with their 319 to BOG, but closest we have been yet to this one i feel.

iyerhari

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Just checked the numbers between BOS and MSP and checked the numbers with VS4ever to ensure these are consistent ;)

BOS 2016 numbers: 36,288,042
MSP 2016 numbers: 37,517,957

Total difference: 1,229,915

If MSP at-least grows by 3% considering that has been the average - it would take them to: 38,643,496 pax in 2017 - Logan would at-least need to grow by at-least 6.71% to overtake MSP by a whisker :) But then if it grows by 8.5% which looks tough considering there are not so many new airline entries other than few new routes (mostly DL, B6 routes) and hopefully some upgauges - EK, BA A380 etc. hopefully 6% seems possible. I haven't seen any new announced routes from MSP so it works out well :)

VS4ever

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Just checked the numbers between BOS and MSP and checked the numbers with VS4ever to ensure these are consistent ;)

BOS 2016 numbers: 36,288,042
MSP 2016 numbers: 37,517,957

Total difference: 1,229,915

If MSP at-least grows by 3% considering that has been the average - it would take them to: 38,643,496 pax in 2017 - Logan would at-least need to grow by at-least 6.71% to overtake MSP by a whisker :) But then if it grows by 8.5% which looks tough considering there are not so many new airline entries other than few new routes (mostly DL, B6 routes) and hopefully some upgauges - EK, BA A380 etc. hopefully 6% seems possible. I haven't seen any new announced routes from MSP so it works out well :)

Yes I was looking at that too. I don't think 8.5% is likely this year. Last year's growth was helped in Feb 16 because of the horrid Feb 15 and the storms, along with the growth in new flights particularly international will make it tough to repeat. There is still some growth there for some of the new flights started last year in the first few months of 17, for example. TP, AB, QR and the like, so Jan-Apr will look pretty good, but after that it will slow down. For the summer we have VS to MAN, we have MT increasing frequency to MAN, DL to DUB, UX to MAD (if that ever gets going) at least on a seasonal basis and the heavily rumored AV to BOG (although that comes at a risk of what happens to CM as a result). Domestically, B6 starts ATL and have already started LGA, however I don't know how much that will increase ridership vs a market shift, time will tell.

Suffice to say, there is still growth potential at BOS, and i think 4-5% this year is probably realistic, capacities are getting up there, so there maybe tweaking with frequencies and aircraft sizes, but that's about it. I always use 12 month rolling as my base point and domestically on the major routes that would make a difference the average loads are roughly 82%, which means room for growth, but not a whole lot.. International the number is a little lower at 77%, but that reflects some lower numbers from newer entrants and lower factors from carriers such as BA and LH, offset by TP, QR and DY (amongst others).

I've spent a lot of time creating the numbers, now i have to start looking more at the trends behind them over the coming months.

iyerhari

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm hoping that WS starts YYC, and YVR and hopefully AC follows suit and we start seeing uptick in passenger numbers. I read thru all your analysis and passenger loads to Canada are through the roof - and WS must be enjoying this and hopefully start adding flights to their primary hub - YYC. I think Massport's quest for India is still not going to be possible in 2017 too. AI just announced nonstop direct from DEL-IAD for FY-2017 so I guess they won't be keen to start BOS anytime soon. Hopefully someday a nonstop direct from BOM to BOS!

KSBOS

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:14 pm

YVR is supposed to happen this year with Air Canada/Rouge presumably with 319/320 aircraft. YYC should defiantly happen. if they can do YYC-BNA then YYC-BOS could have a chance. I service WestJet at BOS and we have a ton of connections to YYC/YVR. It would be nice due have instead of connecting through YYZ/YHZ or connect through EWR or JFK since YYC has non stop to there on Air Canada (EWR) or WestJet (JFK).

KSBOS

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Plus, other Airports in Canada are looking for nonstop routes to Boston. Airports include: YYT, YQB, and YQM. Carriers to the routes could include Porter, WestJet or WestJet Encore, Air Canada or maybe even Sunwing.

Possible Carriers to said routes:
Air Canada, Porter or WestJet Encore to YQB
Sunwing or WestJet to YYT or YQM

VS4ever

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:46 pm

KSBOS wrote:
Plus, other Airports in Canada are looking for nonstop routes to Boston. Airports include: YYT, YQB, and YQM. Carriers to the routes could include Porter, WestJet or WestJet Encore, Air Canada or maybe even Sunwing.

Interesting, I wonder if AC's frequency adjustment to YUL is a prelude to YYR starting, they don't exactly have a lot of space to expand.

As you work on WS, what's their gate usage, with 2 routes, must already be pretty busy so is there room to start more?

I'm all for Canada expansion, i just wonder if gate availability is an issue for some of this.

KSBOS

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:52 pm

VS4ever wrote:
KSBOS wrote:

Interesting, I wonder if AC's frequency adjustment to YUL is a prelude to YYR starting, they don't exactly have a lot of space to expand.

As you work on WS, what's their gate usage, with 2 routes, must already be pretty busy so is there room to start more?

I'm all for Canada expansion, i just wonder if gate availability is an issue for some of this.

We use A1 and A2 at times. A 737 will fit at A2 as I have seen DL place one there. As for timing, we have open space between 4:30pm and 7. giving time to do that turn. I just don't know how it will affect DL's schedule. I'll leave that up to the WS route planners and Massport.

adamh8297

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:12 am

KSBOS wrote:
YVR is supposed to happen this year with Air Canada/Rouge presumably with 319/320 aircraft.

Is that a rumbling you've heard... sounds like it could be summer seasonal though winter may have a peak for BOS-originating traffic going to Whistler?

chrisnh

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:53 pm

With Singapore apparently planning to stockpile new ULH aircraft, can any of them reach Boston and would it make a smart route for them?

adamh8297

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 pm

chrisnh wrote:
With Singapore apparently planning to stockpile new ULH aircraft, can any of them reach Boston and would it make a smart route for them?

Having non-stop SIN service only gains you a lot of 1-stop convenience in SE Asia - especially Malaysia/Indonesia with MI (SilkAir SQ subsidiary) but those markets are not big markets in BOS and ME3/CX/JL already provide decent connections to the bigger ones (KUL, CGK, BKK, SGN, PNH). As a scuba diver who had to spend quality time in Changi to get to MDC- I would love it but being a realist the non-stop doesn't seem likely at this time.

I think the only way SQ ever comes in is via Europe (GVA would be a ballsy move) or East Asia (ICN is up for grabs still). 10 Years may be a different story.

One factor that could help BOS - They seem to get closer to B6 every year as well though their relationship with UA has thawed a bit as well.

chrisnh

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:07 pm

I remember back in September 2001 (only a week or so after 9/11, actually) I flew on a SQ 747-400 from Newark to Amsterdam and then a SQ 777 from Amsterdam to Chicago. So they certainly aren't strangers to those kind of routings.

33lspotter

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:23 pm

chrisnh wrote:

I would think that the A359ULR could do it, but even with the partnership between B6 and SQ, I am not sure that BOS-SIN would be prudent. I would be curious to see what the PDEW counts are, as well as what destinations (from SIN) that BOS passengers would be going to that aren't already accessible through PVG/HKG/etc.
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388

airbazar

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:27 pm

chrisnh wrote:

Stockpiling? SQ only has 7 orders for the A359ULR. We know for a fact that LAX and NYC will take 5 of those which leaves maybe 2 more destinations at most. I'm not sure that BOS would be one. SFO would come first, for sure. I guess one could argue that the 777-9 is an ULH aircraft but it still doesn't have the range to fly SIN-U.S. non-stop.
33lspotter wrote:
I would be curious to see what the PDEW counts are, as well as what destinations (from SIN) that BOS passengers would be going to that aren't already accessible through PVG/HKG/etc.

Once upon a time Indonesia had a significant contingent of students in the Boston area.

adamh8297

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm

airbazar wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
I would be curious to see what the PDEW counts are, as well as what destinations (from SIN) that BOS passengers would be going to that aren't already accessible through PVG/HKG/etc.

Once upon a time Indonesia had a significant contingent of students in the Boston area.

If you read EK's reponse to subsidy claims http://content.emirates.com/downloads/e ... e_Main.pdf

Reviewing MIDT data - EK claims to have stimulated ASEAN (Burma to Indonesia) from 47K to 60K- 28% increase in their first year of BOS-DXB. So by 2015 SE Asia was over 80 PDEW.

Important note about MIDT data in the study: "Marketing Information Data Tapes (MIDT) provide detailed reservation data on all air bookings made by various GDSs (Global Distribution Systems). Emirates’ MIDT data subscription includes nine GDSs (Abacus, Amadeus, Apollo, Galileo, Infini, Sabre, Topas, Travelsky, and Worldspan). MIDT data does not include direct bookings made at airlines’ own booking engines through their websites, and thus tends to underestimate market size compared to actual flown traffic data.

Add CX/QR and another daily frequency we may have traffic to SE ASIA doubling in fairly short period (4 years).

clrd4t8koff

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 pm

airbazar wrote:
Stockpiling? SQ only has 7 orders for the A359ULR. We know for a fact that LAX and NYC will take 5 of those which leaves maybe 2 more destinations at most. I'm not sure that BOS would be one. SFO would come first, for sure. I guess one could argue that the 777-9 is an ULH aircraft but it still doesn't have the range to fly SIN-U.S. non-stop.

SFO already has n/s SQ service on the A359. Presumable LAX could also use the A359. JFK would require the A359ULR I suspect, but where else will they use those 7 frames on order?

Personally I don't see BOS as a candidate for n/s SIN-BOS service now that CX is going daily. However, I can absolutely see SQ serving BOS with an A359 via someplace like ICN, BRU, MXP?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos