iyerhari

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Just received the note as my father is traveling in and out from EK from BOS to BOM.

Due to operational changes, your flight EK240 from Boston to Dubai has changed terminal. The new departure terminal is now Boston Logan International Airport Terminal E. You can go to Manage a booking on emirates.com to view and print your new ticket. This terminal change is effective on all flights departing on or after 26th March 2017, as we continue to improve your Emirates experience. We hope you enjoy your flight.

Does anyone know if the lounge and the new gates are operational?

B752OS

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Just received the note as my father is traveling in and out from EK from BOS to BOM.

Due to operational changes, your flight EK240 from Boston to Dubai has changed terminal. The new departure terminal is now Boston Logan International Airport Terminal E. You can go to Manage a booking on emirates.com to view and print your new ticket. This terminal change is effective on all flights departing on or after 26th March 2017, as we continue to improve your Emirates experience. We hope you enjoy your flight.

E10-12 are up and running as is the new LH lounge. I would assume based on the notice that the EK lounge is now open too.

VS4ever

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 pm

B752OS wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

E10-12 are up and running as is the new LH lounge. I would assume based on the notice that the EK lounge is now open too.

Well i knew that was probably going to happen. B6 will be happy as that now gives some more access to C17 that they had to hold back because of the use by EK twice a day and it still fits into the terminal E schedule just fine given the late departure of the evening daily, TP and EI are much different issues, but I won't go off on that tangent. Be good to see EK back in E and now they have the C connector to continue the link up with B6 as needed.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!

B752OS

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm

VS4ever wrote:
B752OS wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Well i knew that was probably going to happen. B6 will be happy as that now gives some more access to C17 that they had to hold back because of the use by EK twice a day and it still fits into the terminal E schedule just fine given the late departure of the evening daily, TP and EI are much different issues, but I won't go off on that tangent. Be good to see EK back in E and now they have the C connector to continue the link up with B6 as needed.

Long term wouldn't B6 like to see both TP and EI move their operations over to Terminal E? I would think once phase 1 opens (4 new gates) at the end of 2020, or early 2021 there would be enough space in E for them to make the move. Plus, isn't there going to be space for at least 1 new lounge in phase 1? I would guess EI would be a good candidate to occupy that space.

iyerhari

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Do EI and TP business class or eligible passengers use the B6 lounge? It has been some time I have used Terminal C but it's called as 'The Lounge' or something.

Also, will Emirates have their own lounge or a shared lounge with partner carriers? I mean besides B6 they do not have any partner carrier at-least from Logan. I am assuming they would have some sort of an arrangement in Terminal E. I mean besides JFK they have shared lounges in US cities including YYZ.

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/fly ... unges.aspx

VS4ever

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 pm

B752OS wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
B752OS wrote:

Long term wouldn't B6 like to see both TP and EI move their operations over to Terminal E? I would think once phase 1 opens (4 new gates) at the end of 2020, or early 2021 there would be enough space in E for them to make the move. Plus, isn't there going to be space for at least 1 new lounge in phase 1? I would guess EI would be a good candidate to occupy that space.

yes, that was kind of the point I was making. TP and EI can't move now because of their schedules and gate availability, once Phase 1 is complete that will absolutely happen i am sure. As for EI, would they have their own lounge or would usage of the BA Lounge make more sense given the common ownership? I could see it going both ways to be honest.

On a different subject, this RFQ for Terminal B is out there right now, related to the revamp of the terminal http://massport.com/capitalprogramsatta ... 375-C2.pdf

tlecam

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm

What are they doing to Terminal B again? I notice that this is for the Pier B side - is this to make it usable for the "not DL / AA / UA / B6 / int'l airlines? Basically AS, WN, SunCountry, Virgin America, Sun Country and other odds and ends?
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

kq747

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Do EI and TP business class or eligible passengers use the B6 lounge? It has been some time I have used Terminal C but it's called as 'The Lounge' or something.

Also, will Emirates have their own lounge or a shared lounge with partner carriers? I mean besides B6 they do not have any partner carrier at-least from Logan. I am assuming they would have some sort of an arrangement in Terminal E. I mean besides JFK they have shared lounges in US cities including YYZ.

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/fly ... unges.aspx

Emirates is opening their own lounge in Terminal E with direct lounge to plane boarding. BTW The Lounge in terminal C is not a B6 lounge. I know that EI uses the The Lounge but not sure about TP but I would guess yes.

B752OS

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 pm

tlecam wrote:
What are they doing to Terminal B again? I notice that this is for the Pier B side - is this to make it usable for the "not DL / AA / UA / B6 / int'l airlines? Basically AS, WN, SunCountry, Virgin America, Sun Country and other odds and ends?

They are going to expand and reconfigure the old US side of the terminal - consolidating security into one central checkpoint. Adding 75,000 sqf of space and renovating 70,000 sqf. Gates B-13 will be opened up to the rest of the terminal.

https://www.massport.com/capitalprogram ... 20Info.pdf

Here is a full breakdown of the project.

B752OS

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm

https://www.massport.com/media/402198/E ... lume-I.pdf

It's a large file but contains good information regarding the Terminal E expansion. Scroll to slide 72-104 for some massing and Massport's preferred plan - alternative D. This would add 560,000 sqf of new construction to Terminal E.

VS4ever

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Massport Numbers are out. As expected they are up on last year, which is even more impressive given last year had an extra day too!

http://massport.com/media/427798/0217-a ... ummary.pdf, 7.2% up year to date and all categories are up on last year. This will most likely continue until May or so when we catch up to all the new routes that started the previous year.

adamh8297

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:09 am

Though B6 isn't due to extend their schedule until sometime in April, a Sabre filing shows BOS-SAN to go to MINT service gradually during the month of December. 1st Flight (evening flight) switches to MINT 12/10/17 and second switches 12/20/2017.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... es-in-w17/
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

rnav2dlrey

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 am

B752OS wrote:
They are going to expand and reconfigure the old US side of the terminal - consolidating security into one central checkpoint. Adding 75,000 sqf of space and renovating 70,000 sqf. Gates B-13 will be opened up to the rest of the terminal.

https://www.massport.com/capitalprogram ... 20Info.pdf

Here is a full breakdown of the project.

as a UA flyer, i'll enjoy using the legacy USAir shuttle security checkpoint while i still can!

airbazar

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 am

VS4ever wrote:
yes, that was kind of the point I was making. TP and EI can't move now because of their schedules and gate availability,

Why not? TP and EI moved to terminal C last Summer because terminal E was short 3 gates. But now those 3 gates are back in use so I would expect at least TP to move back to terminal E.

VS4ever

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:05 am

airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
yes, that was kind of the point I was making. TP and EI can't move now because of their schedules and gate availability,

Why not? TP and EI moved to terminal C last Summer because terminal E was short 3 gates. But now those 3 gates are back in use so I would expect at least TP to move back to terminal E.

Still no space... Unless i've messed up my analysis completely, I just don't see the room for them, the problem was that with the gates being 3 down, the overspill was hard standed while TP and EI and EK got sent to C. Now the gates are back, less hard standing but still no space for everyone. EK works because of their timings, TP and EI less so.

http://awhitelocks.wixsite.com/newenglandaero/terminale

B752OS

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:09 am

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Still no space... Unless i've messed up my analysis completely, I just don't see the room for them, the problem was that with the gates being 3 down, the overspill was hard standed while TP and EI and EK got sent to C. Now the gates are back, less hard standing but still no space for everyone. EK works because of their timings, TP and EI less so.

http://awhitelocks.wixsite.com/newenglandaero/terminale

Good thing we're 3 and a half years away from any new gates coming online in Terminal E.

FGITD

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:18 am

In addition to gates themselves, it surely must be a tight fit now with check in space as well. More airlines coming, yet no additional counter space to my knowledge

airbazar

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:44 pm

VS4ever wrote:

Take a look at their new schedule starting next week. Something's going on and I think it's to move full operations to terminal E.
TP217 Arr 13:20
TP218 Dep 18:20
6:20PM is peak time at Terminal C. I don't think either TP or B6 want to be there at that time. And with a brand new *A lounge in terminal E why would they want to stay in C?

FGITD wrote:
In addition to gates themselves, it surely must be a tight fit now with check in space as well. More airlines coming, yet no additional counter space to my knowledge

I flew out a couple of weeks ago and at 7:30PM the check-in area was a ghost town and the security lines short. Granted, this is not peak time like the Summer season.

VS4ever

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:43 pm

airbazar wrote:
Take a look at their new schedule starting next week. Something's going on and I think it's to move full operations to terminal E.
TP217 Arr 13:20
TP218 Dep 18:20
6:20PM is peak time at Terminal C. I don't think either TP or B6 want to be there at that time. And with a brand new *A lounge in terminal E why would they want to stay in C?

if that is the new schedule then I very much agree with you, looking through my analysis there is a gap there to make that work apart from a short slot around 5, so I wonder if they would get pulled to hard standing until after that point, then come on stand at around 17.20 ready for loading for departure (assuming an hour is enough for that)

I've updated my analysis accordingly, so that would just leave EI, which I really can't see how they can move back, given the current set up, but all advice welcome on that one. They are in a different situation due to the pre-clearance at DUB in particular, but I would think they would want to be back at E with BA and everyone else.

tlecam

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Delta announces is that they're going to use the DeltaOne / layflat seat product on BOS-SFO.

http://news.delta.com/flights-between-d ... -amenities
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

B752OS

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:44 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/britis ... on-lounge/

Nice blog post giving a review of the new BA lounge in Terminal E. Lots of photos of the space.

ArsenalBOS

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:00 pm

I don't have LF data, but from an anecdotal perspective it feels like the BOS-BNA (Nashville) nonstop that B6 added last year has been a success. I've flown it 3 times now and it's been a full flight each time.

Last night they swapped the A320 for an A321, but I think that was due to plane availability? In any case, I'm really pleased this seems to be working well, even with the added DL capacity on the route too.

VS4ever

Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:52 pm

I believe today was Day 1 for the BA 380 schedule, should be on the ground at BOS right now, anybody manage to catch a view?

B752OS

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 pm

VS4ever wrote:
I believe today was Day 1 for the BA 380 schedule, should be on the ground at BOS right now, anybody manage to catch a view?

Lots of photos on Instagram of the plane. They gave it a water gun salute.

I happened to see it making the turn downwind when I was visiting my parent's. I completely forgot they were starting 388 service today and did a double take. I thought it was a diversion from JFK at first.

33lspotter

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 pm

VS4ever wrote:

Here are a couple shots of it on final:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypZHN ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypZHN ... sp=sharing
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388

VS4ever

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:44 pm

33lspotter wrote:
Here are a couple shots of it on final:

Nicely done... shame the weather wasn't sunny, because it really would have set off nicely against a blue sky.

LH423

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Not sure if this the plan/part of the functional set-up but I saw a few photos on Instagram taken from the terminal while the A380 was on its turnaround. It looks as if they didn't connect the upper bridge for disembarkation. I wasn't able to find anything from closer to departure so I'd be curious to know if they connected the upper-deck jetbridge before boarding, the jetbridge is INOP, the jetbridge isn't able to be used for arrivals or the loads on last night's flights didn't justify the usage of a second jetbridge.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

iyerhari

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:38 pm

tlecam wrote:
Delta announces is that they're going to use the DeltaOne / layflat seat product on BOS-SFO.

Any chance that DL may introduce Delta One in the BOS-LAX route? LAX maybe interesting as even AA and now Alaska/Virgin America also exist on the same route as competitors along with B6 and UA.
Hopefully seeing the success of DL on BOS-SFO, AA re-enters that route after 2010.

cessna53996

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm

LH423 wrote:
Not sure if this the plan/part of the functional set-up but I saw a few photos on Instagram taken from the terminal while the A380 was on its turnaround. It looks as if they didn't connect the upper bridge for disembarkation. I wasn't able to find anything from closer to departure so I'd be curious to know if they connected the upper-deck jetbridge before boarding, the jetbridge is INOP, the jetbridge isn't able to be used for arrivals or the loads on last night's flights didn't justify the usage of a second jetbridge.

According to people I know that work at Logan, the upper jet bridge was INOP. Hopefully Massport can fix it soon or just send the A380 to one of the other A380 gates in the meantime.

airbazar

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm

cessna53996 wrote:
LH423 wrote:

According to people I know that work at Logan, the upper jet bridge was INOP. Hopefully Massport can fix it soon or just send the A380 to one of the other A380 gates in the meantime.

That's fantastic. They screw up the design and then when we finally get an A380 to come in, the bridge doesn't work. Given that the flight operated without a major delay, it sounds like we didn't need those upper bridges in the first place LOL

33lspotter

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:11 pm

airbazar wrote:
That's fantastic. They screw up the design and then when we finally get an A380 to come in, the bridge doesn't work. Given that the flight operated without a major delay, it sounds like we didn't need those upper bridges in the first place LOL

Oddly enough, it worked when the EK A380 was here two months ago – hard to understand why it wouldn't work now. I have to wonder if it was an actual mechanical issue or the staff messing something up.

FWIW, the return flight pushed back 14 minutes late and didn't get off the ground until 20:09, parked in the alley for 20+ minutes, although from what I heard on the radio the latter was due to a "slight technical problem" so not an issue with the gate. Having watched the arrival from Castle Island, I went to East Boston hoping to catch it coming off of 4R as most of the heavies were just before dark, but it ended up going off of 15R (as sometimes happens when the NE configuration is being used).
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388

FGITD

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Interesting about the bridge...i know there's been a few problems with them since installation. Could very well be just from lack of use. Those upper deck bridges sit there, unused the majority of the time

VS4ever

Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 pm

FGITD wrote:
Interesting about the bridge...i know there's been a few problems with them since installation. Could very well be just from lack of use. Those upper deck bridges sit there, unused the majority of the time

Well let's face it, right now, they are going to get used a grand total of 6 times a week for BA's 3x weekly deplaning and boarding. Might want to put some rust protection on them just in case. Anybody got a can of WD40 handy too?

33lspotter

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Well let's face it, right now, they are going to get used a grand total of 6 times a week for BA's 3x weekly deplaning and boarding. Might want to put some rust protection on them just in case. Anybody got a can of WD40 handy too?

Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse here, but another solid reason why it would've been great if it had been designed for double-door boarding/deplaning with more than one type. :banghead:

tomaheath

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm

When flying as a kid during the early and mid 90s I can remember that marble maze in DLs terminal C what ever happened to that thing? Any old photos of it?

hinckley

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:28 pm

33lspotter wrote:
Oddly enough, it worked when the EK A380 was here two months ago – hard to understand why it wouldn't work now.

Do we know for sure that the upper bridge was used for EK de-planeing? I know this is my dead-horse issue (and I haven't been over to the new area in E since it opened) but I still can't visualize how the upper bridges that are connected at the lounge level can be used to deplane passengers to the ICE level.

33lspotter

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:31 pm

hinckley wrote:
Do we know that for sure it was used for EK de-planeing? I know this is my dead-horse issue (and I haven't been over to the new area in E since it opened) but I still can't visualize how the upper bridges that are connected at the lounge level can be used to deplane passengers to the ICE level.

I cannot say for certain whether it was used for de-planing itself, but here's a picture of it connected to the aircraft. http://bit.ly/2nbnKSg

FGITD

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:00 pm

[url][/url]
tomaheath wrote:
When flying as a kid during the early and mid 90s I can remember that marble maze in DLs terminal C what ever happened to that thing? Any old photos of it?

It's actually over in terminal E now, arrivals level just outside the exit from customs. Still makes all those "ding" noises non-stop.

Emirates did deplane via both bridges. Basically, the entire gate area is a separate section, divided by secured doors. You deplane, go down the stairs (either 1 level or 2, depending on what bridge you took) and then are routed into the hallway towards customs.

For boarding, only the departure doors from the waiting areas /lounge are open. On arrival, only the doors to customs are opened. Just like the rest of the gates

hinckley

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:07 pm

FGITD wrote:
Emirates did deplane via both bridges. Basically, the entire gate area is a separate section, divided by secured doors. You deplane, go down the stairs (either 1 level or 2, depending on what bridge you took) and then are routed into the hallway towards customs. For boarding, only the departure doors from the waiting areas /lounge are open. On arrival, only the doors to customs are opened. Just like the rest of the gates

Got it. Thanks for that understanding.

airbazar

Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm

33lspotter wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse here, but another solid reason why it would've been great if it had been designed for double-door boarding/deplaning with more than one type. :banghead:

I'm with you. Massport gets the award for dumbest jetbridge design ever.
Even 2 main deck jetbridges only, where passengers have to use the aircraft's internal stairs would have been a better solution.

tlecam

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:34 pm

iyerhari wrote:
tlecam wrote:

Any chance that DL may introduce Delta One in the BOS-LAX route? LAX maybe interesting as even AA and now Alaska/Virgin America also exist on the same route as competitors along with B6 and UA.
Hopefully seeing the success of DL on BOS-SFO, AA re-enters that route after 2010.

I don't know about BOS-LAX. It's a very different market than BOS - SFO (or JFK-LAX). Will be interesting to see. I think it will also depend on aircraft availability - if they do add lay flats to BOS-LAX, it may be after S17. DL was flying 738s on BOS-LAX while they're flying 757's on BOS-SFO.

I think that BOS-SFO for AA is going to depend on what they land on for a strategy at BOS and to what extent they need it for corporate contracts. Maybe they are content to serve it through the code share with Alaska now that Alaska has purchased Virgin America?

georgiabill

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Unfortunately with the number of airlines flying BOS-SFO-BOS nonstop now I highly doubt AA will reenter the market. I for one wish they never left as I like the service on AA. That being said I could see WN trying a BOS-OAK-BOS perhaps as a seasonal service to judge the demand.

B752OS

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 pm

What is the current status of Phase 1 of the Terminal E expansion? Have all of the approvals and permits been completed?

iyerhari

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:39 pm

UAE to approve India green card holders with visa on arrival: http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/tourism/ua ... -1.2002287

This should hopefully increase the number of passengers on EK even more for transit passengers to India. It would be interesting to see how much effect has the recent electronics ban has on EK and QR especially at Logan when the numbers come out for the month of March.

tjerome

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:50 pm

tlecam wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
tlecam wrote:

I don't know about BOS-LAX. It's a very different market than BOS - SFO (or JFK-LAX). Will be interesting to see. I think it will also depend on aircraft availability - if they do add lay flats to BOS-LAX, it may be after S17. DL was flying 738s on BOS-LAX while they're flying 757's on BOS-SFO.

I think that BOS-SFO for AA is going to depend on what they land on for a strategy at BOS and to what extent they need it for corporate contracts. Maybe they are content to serve it through the code share with Alaska now that Alaska has purchased Virgin America?

DL will need to operate BOS-LAX twice daily every day before they put D1 service on it. During the summer they do 3x/day on weekdays and 2x/day on weekends IIRC. In the winter the redeye LAX-BOS and evening flight BOS-LAX don't operate every day. They'll need to sustain the evening/redeye flights every day before they try D1 service IMO.
The comments and opinions expressed here are my own.
My FlightMemory

330west

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:52 pm

tlecam wrote:
I think that BOS-SFO for AA is going to depend ...

If it was going to happen, I think it would have happened by now. They have a strong position in every major US business market from Boston and apparently their most loyal high value FFs are willing to connect to get to SF.
Always fly first class, otherwise your heirs will.

chrisnh

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:56 pm

The competitive landscape was different when these gates were conceived. Then, you could make a case for LH, AF, EK, and BA all using the A380 at Logan. So that part of the issue can be excused: Massport had a good reason to think the A380 would be more frequently used than it probably will be.

As for the architectural details, I agree that there are more misses than hits here. But the hits are impressive when stacked up against what existed before.

kearnet

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:02 am

So, I have a very strong hypothesis about why the new E-Gate jetbridges were done in such a limiting way that once we think about it, it will allow us to sleep again, stop cursing Massport under our breath (at least for this matter), and cease bemoaning about it on here.

I like (almost) all of you agree that the jetway setup sucks and limits the gate potential.

If they had been able to, they should have done a setup like AKLs A380 gates that can host either one Group V or VI or two group III (possible group IV) at each gate, allowing max use.

This is achieved by having a "u ramp" that extends down from the top floor (departures) to a floor height I'm guessing would be halfway between the top deck floor height of an A380 and the floor height of a 737. The ramp then doubles back and connects on the arrival level, with two jet bridges attaching near the end, with the outer one being able to each any jet door including A380 top deck or a380.

Here are two pics showing what I mean (I took the second one myself ;-) )

2 A380s:

4 737s

So why didn't BOS do something like this, a birds eye view shows why: space!

To make the ramps and jetways work to accommodate all different floor heights they have to be very long and not be too steep. BOS just didn't have the room. When you look at the next two pics and see how much Space AKL has to use compared to what BOS had to work with, it suddenly makes disappointing sense. BOS knew airlines like EK would demand direct top deck loading for premium cabins so they went with what we now have.

AKL:

BOS:

DC-9-30 US|MD-80 US/AA|737-200 US|737-300 US/WN|737-400 US|737-700 WN|737-800 FJ/QF|F-100 US|F-28 US|Dash-8 200 US| CRJ-200 US|757-200 US/AA|767-200 DL|777-300ER EK|A319-100 US|A320-200 B6|A330-200 FJ|A380-800 EK|ATR-72 AA|B-1900D US

hinckley

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 pm

kearnet wrote:
So why didn't BOS do something like this, a birds eye view shows why: space!

I'm one of those guys who's been pretty critical about the new jet bridge design. I too have given it a lot of thought and came up with the same conclusion. There's always a rationale for someone's decision. It may not be correct, but there's always a rationale.

But if as you guess, there wasn't the space at the gate for a more flexible jet bridge configuration, I question the use of funds for all three upper bridges. Sure, build out the gate and lounge area, but did they really need to spend the money on THREE upper bridges? The gates can handle 380s with one bridge (as they do at several airports) and if the demand arose, additional upper bridges could be added.

in addition to being a taxpayer, part of my concern is that with two or three unused bridges, Massport's credibility will be (rightfully?) questioned as future expenditure requests come down the line. And we all know that future requests are (and need to be) coming.

airbazar

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:03 pm

kearnet wrote:
To make the ramps and jetways work to accommodate all different floor heights they have to be very long and not be too steep. BOS just didn't have the room.

Some people have made that argument before but having used and seen these gates and others, mainly at LHR where space is also tight, I 100% disagree.
I think Massport tried to get too cute with the design at the request of EK. EK are the ones and only ones with an all premium upper deck and all Y lower deck. So they designed it this way and EK is not coming, and they should admit their fault.
Lack of space is not the reason. I don't know how to post my own pics here or I would, to show what the problem is. The problem at BOS is that the jetbridge attaches to the terminal way too high, making the slope to the lower deck way too steep. And they did that because EK (my guess), did not want its passengers from the lounge to have to descend down a short escalator to reach the jetbridge entrance. That's the reason, IMO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos