• 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 20
 
B752OS
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 am

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lounge-News_en

Lufthansa's new lounge has opened on level 4 of Terminal E. User Datadyne has posted some photos of their new lounge on Archboston.org.

http://www.archboston.org/community/sho ... tcount=286
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 am

planes112 wrote:
I'm have a few questions on the BOS- MAN flights on Condor/MT.

- is this a condor O&D flight or an MT flight for vacation packages? Their website seems a bit ambiguous but i think it is a condor flight
- the ITA matrix shows there being a first/business class section. MT's website says that all MAN departures on a A330 do not have it because it is all economy (https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/f ... jsp#c81615). What's up with this? Are they subbing planes?
- Have they announced what they'll do after the 3 year lease is up? Will the RAF take back their plane? Google was not helpful for this

Thanks


Thomas Cook (MT) owns Condor (DE) who was originally owned by Lufthansa and its really confusing... for example DE flies FRA-BWI using MT metal. For all intents and purposes its probably better to consider DE as "Thomas Cook Germany"

The BOS-MAN flights were on MT's own metal last year but with the bump in service they used one of the AirTanker planes for the additional 1-2 days. The MT planes have economy and premium economy (not business class by any means) and the Air Tanker is all coach.

They don't have much on order it seems and they have applied and received approval for Thomas Cook Belgium to fly Transatlantic to US with DOT so they would need to act fast if they want to expand BOS/SFO or add anything from BRU for S18.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
planes112
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:36 am

adamh8297 wrote:
planes112 wrote:
I'm have a few questions on the BOS- MAN flights on Condor/MT.

- is this a condor O&D flight or an MT flight for vacation packages? Their website seems a bit ambiguous but i think it is a condor flight
- the ITA matrix shows there being a first/business class section. MT's website says that all MAN departures on a A330 do not have it because it is all economy (https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/f ... jsp#c81615). What's up with this? Are they subbing planes?
- Have they announced what they'll do after the 3 year lease is up? Will the RAF take back their plane? Google was not helpful for this

Thanks


Thomas Cook (MT) owns Condor (DE) who was originally owned by Lufthansa and its really confusing... for example DE flies FRA-BWI using MT metal. For all intents and purposes its probably better to consider DE as "Thomas Cook Germany"

The BOS-MAN flights were on MT's own metal last year but with the bump in service they used one of the AirTanker planes for the additional 1-2 days. The MT planes have economy and premium economy (not business class by any means) and the Air Tanker is all coach.

They don't have much on order it seems and they have applied and received approval for Thomas Cook Belgium to fly Transatlantic to US with DOT so they would need to act fast if they want to expand BOS/SFO or add anything from BRU for S18.



Thanks - I didn't realize that they were switching planes. Pretty crazy and talk about an inconsistent product.

Also those pictures of the lounge look great.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Love the views out of the lounge. Will be great in the long summer evenings to be able to sit and watch all those international flights come and go.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90
 
bmmsobo
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:44 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Avianca is officially selling Boston to Bogota on June 4th
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:57 am

bmmsobo wrote:
Avianca is officially selling Boston to Bogota on June 4th


Red-eye from Logan

BOG-BOS 14:40-21:57 x247
BOS-BOG 00:27-05:57 x135

Connects well to most of Colombia, UIO, GYE, SCL, CCS, CUZ (2-stop on way back but easily most convenient itinerary for CUZ), SJO, PTY, and strangely enough AUA.

Doesn't connect well (typically a long layover in one direction) to GRU, GIG, MVD, EZE, and LIM (WTF!!) due to their insane BOG-LIM schedule (one super early 5:30 am flight and 4 afternoon flights).

Regardless - we now have our first scheduled South America flight.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
iyerhari
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 am

Wow - Boston's first excursion to South America..

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/avianca ... s-angeles/

Kudos to Logan!!
 
LH423
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:27 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:11 am

If for no other reason that bragging rights, it's too bad Logan doesn't still have TACV so as to be able to claim nonstop service to five out of the six inhabited continents.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
 
33lspotter
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:36 pm

LH423 wrote:
If for no other reason that bragging rights, it's too bad Logan doesn't still have TACV so as to be able to claim nonstop service to five out of the six inhabited continents.

LH423


Either way, the sixth one is probably out of reach – at least for a while! :lol:

(Nice username, btw)
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388
 
LH423
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:27 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 am

33lspotter wrote:
LH423 wrote:
If for no other reason that bragging rights, it's too bad Logan doesn't still have TACV so as to be able to claim nonstop service to five out of the six inhabited continents.

LH423


Either way, the sixth one is probably out of reach – at least for a while! :lol:

(Nice username, btw)


Yeah, as cool as it would be to see the actual 'Roo at Logan (and not just the Qantas signage that used to be – and maybe still is – posted at Terminal B) I won't hold my breath. Speaking of which, I think I may have asked this a long time ago but does anyone know why Qantas has had over the years curbside signs on the LAA side of B, as well as on the roadway terminal directories and an announcement on the shuttle buses? I know American and Qantas have had a relationship to funnel passengers from around the US to LAX, mostly, that predates Oneworld, but so too have other foreign airlines with limited US presence and US carriers (from codeshares to financial investments – of the latter the BA stake in US being first and foremost on my mind) and none of those relationships had any sort of physical recognition outside of signage/logos at places like check-in desks.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
 
airbazar
Posts: 7749
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:11 am

LH423 wrote:
Speaking of which, I think I may have asked this a long time ago but does anyone know why Qantas has had over the years curbside signs on the LAA side of B, as well as on the roadway terminal directories and an announcement on the shuttle buses? I know American and Qantas have had a relationship to funnel passengers from around the US to LAX, mostly, that predates Oneworld, but so too have other foreign airlines with limited US presence and US carriers (from codeshares to financial investments – of the latter the BA stake in US being first and foremost on my mind) and none of those relationships had any sort of physical recognition outside of signage/logos at places like check-in desks.

LH423

Good question. IIRC, when I moved to Boston in the early 90's Qantas even had a city office in the Park Plaza building. Always thought it very unusual to see the signs at the airport as well as a city office for and Airline that didn't actually serve the city.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Who's the resident S4 expert? i'm trying to figure out their summer schedule for my Terminal E analysis and something isn't stacking up properly. All help appreciated.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:41 am

VS4ever wrote:
Who's the resident S4 expert? i'm trying to figure out their summer schedule for my Terminal E analysis and something isn't stacking up properly. All help appreciated.


I have a feeling this is what you are getting at.

Their typically day is two departures from E: 21:05 and 22:30. Two days are double PDL others are PDL + LIS or PDL + TER.
They pretty much have two arrival slots 17:05 and 18:50/19:05. TER is pretty much 19:05 but LIS and PDL can be either slot. They are on the the ground for a bit in BOS- not the quickest turn to say the least. Overall its 9 weekly PDL, 2 weekly TER and 2 weekly LIS.

I'd love to know how much feed they are getting from B6.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3690
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:49 am

Looking ahead a bit, my daughter will be graduating from college next summer (s'18) and she has always been enchanted with the Japanese culture...anime, food, etc. I'm toying with the idea of getting her a surprise trip to Tokyo. Obviously JAL is worth looking into. Any other ways of getting there, especially if economical? Not sure when the trip would be...soon after her graduation or sometime later.

I've only been there once myself in 1995 when my company sent me on a courier trip to get a quarter-million-dollars worth of circuit boards into the waiting hands of Toshiba. I went NW Flight 3 from BOS-ORD 727-200 then to 747-200 from there to NRT. I remember telling friends afterward that there are whole NEIGHBORHOODS in Tokyo bigger than Boston.

Thanks!
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:20 am

chrisnh wrote:
Looking ahead a bit, my daughter will be graduating from college next summer (s'18) and she has always been enchanted with the Japanese culture...anime, food, etc. I'm toying with the idea of getting her a surprise trip to Tokyo. Obviously JAL is worth looking into. Any other ways of getting there, especially if economical? Not sure when the trip would be...soon after her graduation or sometime later.

I've only been there once myself in 1995 when my company sent me on a courier trip to get a quarter-million-dollars worth of circuit boards into the waiting hands of Toshiba. I went NW Flight 3 from BOS-ORD 727-200 then to 747-200 from there to NRT. I remember telling friends afterward that there are whole NEIGHBORHOODS in Tokyo bigger than Boston.

Thanks!


July will be the most expensive so you may want to lean towards late May, June or August. The JL flight may run you $2000 in peak summer.

Sometimes AC has good fares via YYZ. Maybe you will get some good timing and KE comes into BOS in 2018 and has some nice intro fares to East Asia.

Always search BOS-TYO instead of BOS-NRT. You may get a good fare flying BOS-XXX-NRT/HND-XXX-BOS or vice versa.

You may want to look into flying into other cities (KIX, NGO, etc) and taking bullet train or LCC into TYO. "flights.google.com" will come in handy there.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
33lspotter
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:18 am

chrisnh wrote:
I remember telling friends afterward that there are whole NEIGHBORHOODS in Tokyo bigger than Boston.


Even New York – which some of us think of as exponentially bigger than Boston and one of the biggest cities in the world – is only the 22nd largest city in the world, so that puts things into perspective as to how "small" Boston is.
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:36 am

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Who's the resident S4 expert? i'm trying to figure out their summer schedule for my Terminal E analysis and something isn't stacking up properly. All help appreciated.


I have a feeling this is what you are getting at.

Their typically day is two departures from E: 21:05 and 22:30. Two days are double PDL others are PDL + LIS or PDL + TER.
They pretty much have two arrival slots 17:05 and 18:50/19:05. TER is pretty much 19:05 but LIS and PDL can be either slot. They are on the the ground for a bit in BOS- not the quickest turn to say the least. Overall its 9 weekly PDL, 2 weekly TER and 2 weekly LIS.

I'd love to know how much feed they are getting from B6.


Well LIS was an issue as for some reason that wasn't coming up on S4's website properly if originating from BOS so that piece helped, however i've figured out my issue and it's an interesting one, it's actually to do with the PDL-PVD flight, there's a re-positioning flight that happens. PDL-PVD lands at 18.10 on a Friday in PVD, empties then runs up to BOS for the 22.30 back to PDL. Then on Saturday, I suspect the 17.05 arrival of PDL-BOS empties and runs down to PVD for the 21.40 back to PDL.. that way the aircraft usage is maxed out. I just couldn't figure out the 1 arrival on Friday with 2 departures and 2 arrivals on Saturday and 1 departure and this now makes complete sense, time to complete the new map..
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 2671
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:59 am

Im not sure thats right... PDL-PVD-PDL is showing up on Fridays in July and August

Fun fact... on Fridays this summer PVD will have 1,000 arriving international seats between D8, S4 and VR
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:35 am

RL757PVD wrote:
Im not sure thats right... PDL-PVD-PDL is showing up on Fridays in July and August

Fun fact... on Fridays this summer PVD will have 1,000 arriving international seats between D8, S4 and VR
<----- this is awesome for PVD very happy about that.

Hmmm, looks like there is a mis-match between schedules and actual booking, time to take another look i think. This is like trying to finish a jigsaw puzzle, but the piece doesn't quite fit.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
airbazar
Posts: 7749
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 am

VS4ever wrote:
Hmmm, looks like there is a mis-match between schedules and actual booking, time to take another look i think. This is like trying to finish a jigsaw puzzle, but the piece doesn't quite fit.

Funny enough that pretty much sums up what it's like to fly with S4. Even those of us who used to rely on this flight to fly to Portugal regularly, had a hard time figuring out their schedule. Their LIS flight used to be advertised as BOS-LIS but in fact stopped at PDL for most of the year except in peak Summer months.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:48 pm

VS4ever wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Who's the resident S4 expert? i'm trying to figure out their summer schedule for my Terminal E analysis and something isn't stacking up properly. All help appreciated.


I have a feeling this is what you are getting at.

Their typically day is two departures from E: 21:05 and 22:30. Two days are double PDL others are PDL + LIS or PDL + TER.
They pretty much have two arrival slots 17:05 and 18:50/19:05. TER is pretty much 19:05 but LIS and PDL can be either slot. They are on the the ground for a bit in BOS- not the quickest turn to say the least. Overall its 9 weekly PDL, 2 weekly TER and 2 weekly LIS.

I'd love to know how much feed they are getting from B6.


Well LIS was an issue as for some reason that wasn't coming up on S4's website properly if originating from BOS so that piece helped, however i've figured out my issue and it's an interesting one, it's actually to do with the PDL-PVD flight, there's a re-positioning flight that happens. PDL-PVD lands at 18.10 on a Friday in PVD, empties then runs up to BOS for the 22.30 back to PDL. Then on Saturday, I suspect the 17.05 arrival of PDL-BOS empties and runs down to PVD for the 21.40 back to PDL.. that way the aircraft usage is maxed out. I just couldn't figure out the 1 arrival on Friday with 2 departures and 2 arrivals on Saturday and 1 departure and this now makes complete sense, time to complete the new map..


I used matrix.itasoftware.com and ran nonstop searches for the three S4 flights. You can search for "S4" using the "Advanced routing codes" feature on the search engine and then filter it down more with nonstop flights only.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:37 am

found this on the massport site, some interesting info on how Massport works financially and their expectations, also market share info too if you look closely, it's 180 pages, and are their reported financials up to June 16
http://www.massport.com/media/415466/MP ... -Final.pdf

this week should see the September T-100's come out and maybe the Feb Massport numbers, for those keeping track, I apologize for not updating all the reports this month, unfortunately our elder dog passed away and frankly i've just not been in the mood to do it. I should do a better job of this month's!
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 am

Write up on the BOG-BOS flight and the market share rankings for BOS-South America. No surprise who was #1.

Surprisingly three carriers (JJ, LA, and AD) with ZERO links to BOS were listed. Shouldn't that have been listed as multiple carriers since you are probably flying B6 or AA to connect to a JJ flight.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... ston-link/
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
LH423
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:27 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:03 am

In a fun twist, Lufthansa's first A350 flight, scheduled for tomorrow, has been cancelled. I guess we'll have to wait another day to see the crane on the 359 in BOS.
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:26 pm

AC pulled the trigger on BOS-YVR, starts June 23 with an A319!
http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1116
 
B752OS
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:16 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
AC pulled the trigger on BOS-YVR, starts June 23 with an A319!
http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1116


It's a very short seasonal run - hopefully the flight does well enough this year for AC to extend its run next year.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
AC pulled the trigger on BOS-YVR, starts June 23 with an A319!
http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1116


Well we have been expecting someone to try it, given it's one of the top unserved markets out of BOS, so will be very curious as to how this goes. I wonder if the summer seasonal is more of a test with a potential of expansion to year round. I assume like AC's other routes, they can treat this as a domestic run out of Terminal B.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
BOSMEMFlyer
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Dumb question, as I know it's only a daily flight...but things are getting to be a bit crowded in that A/B alley, no?
 
gatibosgru
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:47 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Write up on the BOG-BOS flight and the market share rankings for BOS-South America. No surprise who was #1.

Surprisingly three carriers (JJ, LA, and AD) with ZERO links to BOS were listed. Shouldn't that have been listed as multiple carriers since you are probably flying B6 or AA to connect to a JJ flight.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... ston-link/


Very interesting indeed. I wonder if anyone else will take a stab at nonstop from BOS-South America. If there was a narrow body with range I think BOS-GRU would be a winner (although I am biased :P )
@DadCelo
 
iyerhari
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Wow - I just traveled from BOS to YVR on WestJet over the weekend via YYZ. Unbelievable that AC is launching the route. Do they even have good gate space to accommodate these flights? The AC terminal in Terminal B is not the best side of the terminal. Probably WestJet is going to launch that route - let's hope they launch YYC. This will make BOS a good Canadian destination point with direct flights to: YHZ, YYZ, YUL, YOW, YTZ, YVR and hopefully YYC soon.
 
hinckley
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 pm

is this an O&D route or a connecting route? I flew CP back in the 90s between BOS and HKG and PEK via YVR. But with AC doing a fine job of connecting BOS and Asia via YYZ, are their many more connections available through YVR?
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:35 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Wow - I just traveled from BOS to YVR on WestJet over the weekend via YYZ. Unbelievable that AC is launching the route. Do they even have good gate space to accommodate these flights? The AC terminal in Terminal B is not the best side of the terminal. Probably WestJet is going to launch that route - let's hope they launch YYC. This will make BOS a good Canadian destination point with direct flights to: YHZ, YYZ, YUL, YOW, YTZ, YVR and hopefully YYC soon.


i think WS could launch it, but both AC and WS have limited gate space to work with page 145 of the linked document makes very interesting reading about who owns what in terms of gate access (well lease rather than own)

http://massport.com/media/415466/MPA-FY ... -Final.pdf
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
dk1967
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:56 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 pm

If someone spends even a small amount of advertising money in the Boston metro market selling Vancouver, and Whistler, and the places in-between, I don't see how this couldn't support year round service very easily.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:44 pm

hinckley wrote:
is this an O&D route or a connecting route? I flew CP back in the 90s between BOS and HKG and PEK via YVR. But with AC doing a fine job of connecting BOS and Asia via YYZ, are their many more connections available through YVR?


Mostly O+D to BC and the rest of Western Canada though it does connect well with AC's Aussie flights.

There are some Star connections in BOS but one direction is better than the other (i.e YVR-BOS-MUC works but not the other way).
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
LH423
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:27 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:29 am

AC can fit an Airbus into at least one of its gates. They occasionally fly the 319/320 in when weather causes cancellations on the YYZ route, much in the same way they occasionally throw a 763 on YYZ-LGA. I'm not sure if that blocks off one of the adjacent gates but given that the plane has just a 52-minute turnaround they can probably get it in and out without too much of a disruption to the schedules.

An Air Canada route like this will live and die on O&D. CP was able to successfully operate the route for years because they were the primary transpacific airline from Canada (while Air Canada dominated the Atlantic) and the favoured airline amongst Western Canadians (AC was seen as the stodgy, socialist, state-run airline that was geared primarily toward the Ontario and Quebec markets). Modern day AC in BC doesn't really benefit from either of those strengths. Aside from Australia and secondary Hawaiian and Japanese markets, most of the AC transpac route network can be accessed via YYZ or even YUL (in the case of Shanghai) and typically plays second fiddle to Westjet in the minds of Western Canadians as a preferred carrier (though this isn't as big a factor in the YVR market as it is in say YYC or YEG as AC has a pretty good network out of YVR).

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
 
jmt18325
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 am

Just to be clear, Air Canada has a much stronger position in Vancouver than Westjet. That reverse is true of the prairie cities (YYC, etc).
 
airbazar
Posts: 7749
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:44 pm

dk1967 wrote:
If someone spends even a small amount of advertising money in the Boston metro market selling Vancouver, and Whistler, and the places in-between, I don't see how this couldn't support year round service very easily.

Business traffic is required for year round service. Those attractions you just mentioned are for leisure passengers who would fly primarily during vacation periods and/or using a cheaper one-stop alternative. Is there enough business traffic between Boston and Vancouver? I don't know. And the fact that connections to Asia are less than ideal, makes it even harder to see year round service.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Latest T-100 capacity factors by major route (mostly international) - September 16

Enjoy the rest, AM is still are missing, so for now when i update the website, I will use 2016 numbers for them so that we have a reasonable comparison, when they update I will amend accordingly. i am going to be honest, these numbers look a bit low to me overall, but i am going to do some analysis on the easier pieces like Asia and Middle East to see how in line they are from a pax number perspective against Massport's numbers.

Asia
BOS-HKG - 91.9%
BOS-NRT - 84.3%
BOS-PEK - 78.5%
BOS-PVG - 80.4%

Caribbean
BOS-AUA - 78.3%
BOS-BDA (B6) - 68.5%
BOS-BDA (DL) - 60.9%
BOS-PAP - 86.1%
BOS-PUJ - 86.8%
BOS-SDQ - 86.6%
BOS-SJU - 87.2%
BOS-STI - 75.6%

Canada
BOS-YHZ (QK) - 85.8%
BOS-YHZ (WS) - 77.6%
BOS-YOW - 56.42% (this is dropping quickly!), 65% last month
BOS-YTZ - 72.5%
BOS-YUL - 74.9%
BOS-YYZ (AC) - 82.1%
BOS-YYZ (RS) - 78.1%
BOS-YYZ (WS) - 70.8%

Central America
BOS-CUN (B6) - 80.8%
BOS-MEX - (not reported)
BOS-PTY - 83.8%

Europe
BOS-AMS - 78.8%
BOS-CDG (AA) - 43.88%???? need to check this, that's awful if it's the case.
BOS-CDG (AF) - 75.5%
BOS-CDG (DL) - 73.2%
BOS-CPH (DY) - 78.1%
BOS-CPH (SK) - 71.5% (issue here as both SK and Privatair report and they report different numbers), this is SK's reporting.
BOS-DUB - 89.7% (explains DL weighing in on the route, that's pretty stacked out the entire month)
BOS-DUS - 74.1%
BOS-FCO - 86.7%
BOS-FRA - 78.0%
BOS-KEF (FI) - 82.6%
BOS-KEF (WW) - 83.9%
BOS-LGW - 92.9% (no let up here as we've seen from the CAA numbers)
BOS-LHR (BA) - (cannot believe i am typing this, but did not report)
BOS-LHR (DL) - 62.9%
BOS-LHR (VS) - 83.2%
BOS-LIS (S4) - 66.2%
BOS-LIS (TP) - 90.9% (well i think it's safe to say they've taken the market share here, yields maybe a different story)
BOS-MAD - 66.2%
BOS-MAN - 75.7%
BOS-MUC - 84.4%
BOS-OSL - 88.5% (possible case for frequency increase in 2017)
BOS-SNN (EI) - 89.7%
BOS-TER - 66.5%
BOS-ZRH - 77.5%

Middle East
BOS-DOH - 78.1%
BOS-DXB - 61.6% (ouch!)
BOS-IST - 73.7%
BOS-TLV - 79.1%

ORH-FLL - 69.6%
ORH-MCO - 70.8%
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3690
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 pm

At 62% EK could almost go back to one daily flight and make it an A380. But I'll bet every other month is higher for them.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:28 pm

chrisnh wrote:
At 62% EK could almost go back to one daily flight and make it an A380. But I'll bet every other month is higher for them.


You could make the case with LAX as well.

LAX double A380 was 51%

Also EK's LF for the month was 67% and JFK-MXP flights were the only route pair over 80%.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:54 am

adamh8297 wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
At 62% EK could almost go back to one daily flight and make it an A380. But I'll bet every other month is higher for them.


You could make the case with LAX as well.

LAX double A380 was 51%

Also EK's LF for the month was 67% and JFK-MXP flights were the only route pair over 80%.


There were some horrible numbers for September. Adam you come up with the best ideas, so here's the new file. BOS foreign carrier by station (meaning carriers serving BOS, but looking at their other stations as a comparison. These are the raw numbers unfiltered for diverts etc. but should be directionally correct, I've color coded from green to red based on their factors, so you can zero in on the good and the bad. I didn't go to the route level given the number of combinations involved.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... pw/pubhtml
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3690
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:02 am

what does 40% mean with Virgin Atlantic and Indianapolis?
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:06 am

chrisnh wrote:
what does 40% mean with Virgin Atlantic and Indianapolis?


probably a divert of some-kind it was 1 flight, as I said, what you are seeing is the raw data, I need to clean it up a bit to remove the anomalies like that one.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!
 
LH423
Posts: 5899
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:27 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:42 am

VS4ever wrote:
BOS-YOW - 56.42% (this is dropping quickly!), 65% last month


Ottawa is extremely seasonal, especially now that the tech sector in Ottawa is a shadow of what it used to be. Ottawa, especially the suburb of Kanata, used to be referred to as the "Silicon Valley of the North" though this moniker has been partially replaced by the GTA (Toronto), especially the suburb of Markham, which is home to the Canadian head offices of many tech powerhouses, including Apple and IBM (Google recently opened their fancy new digs in downtown Toronto). There is still some tech in Ottawa, especially in R&D which dovetails nicely with Boston's role as a centre for engineering and R&D, but that business as well as the small amount of government traffic largely play second fiddle to tourism/VFR traffic. Ottawa, while not the most exciting destination in Canada, is absolutely stunning in the summer and Ottawans (based on my anecdotal evidence of living there for four years) are quite fond of New England.

That said, having been a regular on the YOW route before moving on to YTO and now CHI, I hope for those still travelling that route that AC can keep the CRJs. The flight time between the CRJ and the DH1 is literally almost double, from 45 minutes on the RJ to roughly 1:20 on the Dash. I'd be curious to know if the Q400, despite its larger size, would have better economics on the route. Certainly its faster cruise speed would be a plus over the aging Dash 8-100s. It would seem that the CRJ is safe seeing as they schedule the planes to fly a V pattern in tandem with YHZ.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
 
airbazar
Posts: 7749
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am

VS4ever wrote:
BOS-LIS (TP) - 90.9% (well i think it's safe to say they've taken the market share here, yields maybe a different story)

Unlike here in the U.S., school vacation in Portugal lasts well into September. I'm very curious to see the numbers for the off season but I think it's pretty safe to say that one of the newly acquired A333's will be replacing the A332 on this route.
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:14 pm

BOS-CDG (AA) - 43.88%???? need to check this, that's awful if it's the case.

They ran a longer season last year (May-Oct) than in previous years, I wonder if they'll go back to just June-Aug. Something has to be working for them on this route, its back year after year despite loads in the sub 70s.
 
styles9002
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm

VS4ever wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
At 62% EK could almost go back to one daily flight and make it an A380. But I'll bet every other month is higher for them.


You could make the case with LAX as well.

LAX double A380 was 51%

Also EK's LF for the month was 67% and JFK-MXP flights were the only route pair over 80%.


There were some horrible numbers for September. Adam you come up with the best ideas, so here's the new file. BOS foreign carrier by station (meaning carriers serving BOS, but looking at their other stations as a comparison. These are the raw numbers unfiltered for diverts etc. but should be directionally correct, I've color coded from green to red based on their factors, so you can zero in on the good and the bad. I didn't go to the route level given the number of combinations involved.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... pw/pubhtml


This information is nice to know but we need to pause and consider that the most important fact is missing as we don't know the yield on any of these routes. Thus any of these suggestions about downgauging or reducing schedules is uninformed and doesn't carry any merit without know the yields.
It is what it is.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I think we are due for #14 soon.

    BOS didn't get the D8 737MAX Service but Logan will see the plane on the following WN rotation: BWI-BOS-DEN Monday through Friday.
    http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... perations/

    No major press release on AV yet though they are now listed in Massport's airline list online.

    Since South America is now served - how about Africa? I only see two possible airlines AT CMN-BOS or ET ADD-BOS

    Domestically - I think DL BOS-ORD is imminent.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN
 
iyerhari
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:09 pm

DL -domestically BOS-DCA also looks to be a good possibility although I don't know if DL has gates to spare. DL is now effectively number 3 at Logan after B6 and AA and with the recent adds, they maybe able to position themselves well at Logan.
 
tjerome
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:25 pm

iyerhari wrote:
DL -domestically BOS-DCA also looks to be a good possibility although I don't know if DL has gates to spare. DL is now effectively number 3 at Logan after B6 and AA and with the recent adds, they maybe able to position themselves well at Logan.


Yes DL is pretty maxed out at the moment. BOS-ORD would require several daily frequencies to be competitive and I don't see them adding such a route until at least the summer schedule passes (end of October). DL has 5-6 planes towed every night these days (used to be 2-3). Hopefully A18-A20 come back next year as DL plans on continued growth in BOS.
The comments and opinions expressed here are my own.
My FlightMemory
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 20

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos