Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FGITD

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 13

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 pm

I think that's exactly the problem. From about 4pm on the entire satellite is pretty much taken up by just a few international flights.

Which is another reason why I don't think we'll ever see AF or VS move to terminal A, even if they had CBP facilities.

Take the 4 DL widebody flights, now add 2 AF and 2 VS flights a day (in the summer) and they're really isn't any space left

VS4ever

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:34 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
I think part of the problem is that DL has wide body flights in the evening and those planes block off a few gates at Terminal A which restricts the number of flights they can run in the evening. They might be able to add flights to DCA/ORD in the morning and afternoon but if they can't offer flights between 4-8PM then they won't be competitive against B6/AA.

Wait until 2019 folks when WN shifts, then you will see all kinds of fun and games. Those 5 gates will allow somewhere in the region of 45-50 departures a day increase (depending on how quick the turns DL wants to have and which destinations get to use them), when they get access to those and potentially also kick WS out of A1, then you are going to see a serious build up, until then, for the reasons stated above, you'll get some tinkering around the edges.

iyerhari

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Terminal B construction going on in full swing yesterday. Massport has been good in the recent years to complete projects earlier than deadline - hopefully DL gets the gates sooner.

Capn

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:42 pm

VS4ever wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
I think part of the problem is that DL has wide body flights in the evening and those planes block off a few gates at Terminal A which restricts the number of flights they can run in the evening. They might be able to add flights to DCA/ORD in the morning and afternoon but if they can't offer flights between 4-8PM then they won't be competitive against B6/AA.

Wait until 2019 folks when WN shifts, then you will see all kinds of fun and games. Those 5 gates will allow somewhere in the region of 45-50 departures a day increase (depending on how quick the turns DL wants to have and which destinations get to use them), when they get access to those and potentially also kick WS out of A1, then you are going to see a serious build up, until then, for the reasons stated above, you'll get some tinkering around the edges.

Keep seeing 2 diff. times for SW moving off A.2018 and 2019.Anybody know for sure which is correct?
Thanks

aaflyer777

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:11 pm

CM BOS-PTY FEB 1.0>1.6 MAR 1.0>1.5 APR 1.0>1.6 MAY 1.0>1.5 JUN 1.0>1.6

Copa to increase frequency on BOS-PTY next year, looks like they've added an afternoon departure from BOS.

VS4ever

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:09 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:

Copa to increase frequency on BOS-PTY next year, looks like they've added an afternoon departure from BOS.

wow, was not expecting that. capacity factors are in line with the rest of the network, but they must either see some great forward bookings or have secured some business for the summer months, will be interesting how long this sticks whether it's a long summer seasonal or is truly a year round flight. Plenty of room gate wise at that time of day, although arriving after the 4 DL's is going to be a little painful for the passengers, but still could be worse. Nice add, let's hope it sticks and is not a filing error, but as per the timings below, flights are bookable, so i am guessing not an error.

New timings (taken from google flights)

8.36AM BOS-PTY 2.13PM (daily)
2.41PM BOS-PTY 8.48PM (x246)

7.45AM PTY-BOS 1.21PM (x246)
12.34PM PTY-BOS 6.15PM (Daily)

adamh8297

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 pm

VS4ever wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

wow, was not expecting that. capacity factors are in line with the rest of the network, but they must either see some great forward bookings or have secured some business for the summer months, will be interesting how long this sticks whether it's a long summer seasonal or is truly a year round flight. Plenty of room gate wise at that time of day, although arriving after the 4 DL's is going to be a little painful for the passengers, but still could be worse. Nice add, let's hope it sticks and is not a filing error, but as per the timings below, flights are bookable, so i am guessing not an error.

New timings (taken from google flights)

8.36AM BOS-PTY 2.13PM (daily)
2.41PM BOS-PTY 8.48PM (x246)

7.45AM PTY-BOS 1.21PM (x246)
12.34PM PTY-BOS 6.15PM (Daily)

This helps connectivity to Deep South America especially the single or less than daily flights to CNF COR REC BSB though CNF is the biggest of these by far.

airbazar

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:38 pm

VS4ever wrote:
wow, was not expecting that. capacity factors are in line with the rest of the network, but they must either see some great forward bookings

With the near complete destruction of the typical Caribbean destinations I expect that Central America will see a significant increase in tourism this Winter, and Copa is probably seeing it already.

iyerhari

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Probably the only non-affected Carribean destinations such as AUA, PUJ, Barbados would be still recording good tourists. The others do not look good at all especially SJU.

jetbluefan1

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:52 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Probably the only non-affected Carribean destinations such as AUA, PUJ, Barbados would be still recording good tourists. The others do not look good at all especially SJU.

Absolutely. All of PR, SXM, STT, etc are completely destroyed for this peak season, and I suspect there will be some permanent damage as well. Such a shame. :cry:

I wonder how much traffic will shift to other Caribbean islands vs. Central America vs. domestic. SJU is a fairly cheap place to vacation, and more expensive markets such as BGI and PLS may not be feasible alternatives.

Also, given the woefully low passport-holding ratio of Americans, markets like AUA or CUN or PUJ will not be alternatives unless someone wants to dish out an extra $150.

I also suspect the heavily VFR-centric BOS-SJU market will take a major hit (or, conversely, could see significant demand associated with relief and rebuilding).

Either way, lots of potential shifts in traffic patterns to watch out for.

adamh8297

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:13 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Absolutely. All of PR, SXM, STT, etc are completely destroyed for this peak season, and I suspect there will be some permanent damage as well. Such a shame. :cry:

I wonder how much traffic will shift to other Caribbean islands vs. Central America vs. domestic. SJU is a fairly cheap place to vacation, and more expensive markets such as BGI and PLS may not be feasible alternatives.

Also, given the woefully low passport-holding ratio of Americans, markets like AUA or CUN or PUJ will not be alternatives unless someone wants to dish out an extra $150.

I also suspect the heavily VFR-centric BOS-SJU market will take a major hit (or, conversely, could see significant demand associated with relief and rebuilding).

Though its true that USA has a pathetic rate of passport ownership, Massachusetts residents have a high rate of passport ownership (> 60%) so AUA/CUN/PUJ will be good alternatives and those markets are huge already. New England as a whole is over 50%. Pacific Mexico especially PVR/SJD could benefit from this.

No cuts have been made to SJU yet - I think B6 needs to keep the service for the relief and rebuilding. How long will it take Cruise industry to rebound is interesting as well. Overall, loss of SXM flights for the season is probably the biggest result we will see until the numbers come out.

PTY - I personally think CM's moves are related to improved Latin American economy, AV success on BOG-BOS, and possibly AD or LA sniffing around BOS. LA is looking to return to SFO and CM just increased there as well.

VS4ever

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:38 am

my company has an office in PR, just outside of SJU and are fortunate to have some power at least, so much so that one of the Gov't departments wants to camp there while reconstruction takes place. Electricity is going to take up to 6 months, the schools are shut until at least Nov 1st and we've all seen the pictures about the rest of the place. So much so that there has been thought in our world of pulling people back to FL to assist there, particularly in some of the more Spanish speaking counties like Miami and Broward. SXM is supposed to be back on the grid Oct 6th, so something will start there, but the tourist season is trashed, just look at Maho beach. There will almost certainly be a shift to new places and i think you will see the new plans formulate over the next couple of months before the business snowbird season starts in earnest. Remember even South Florida like the Keys is also in a mess, even RSW might have a tough time.
Very happy to see the CM addition

tysmith95

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:54 am

Massachusetts has a huge PR diaspora so I don't believe that they'll cut back too much. It's not 99% tourism like other Caribbean destinations. Maybe they could just substitute in some E190s instead of using a320s to account for lower tourist demand.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hurricane encourages even more Puerto Ricans to move to the mainland, and the northeast specifically (where the largest PR population exists).

jetbluefan1

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:35 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Though its true that USA has a pathetic rate of passport ownership, Massachusetts residents have a high rate of passport ownership (> 60%) so AUA/CUN/PUJ will be good alternatives and those markets are huge already. New England as a whole is over 50%. Pacific Mexico especially PVR/SJD could benefit from this.

No cuts have been made to SJU yet - I think B6 needs to keep the service for the relief and rebuilding. How long will it take Cruise industry to rebound is interesting as well. Overall, loss of SXM flights for the season is probably the biggest result we will see until the numbers come out.

PTY - I personally think CM's moves are related to improved Latin American economy, AV success on BOG-BOS, and possibly AD or LA sniffing around BOS. LA is looking to return to SFO and CM just increased there as well.

Good point, and I suspect those with a passport have a (much) higher propensity to travel anyway.

I'm particularly interested to see how SJU pans out. B6 has been heavily committed to PR for over a decade now and I'm sure they will want to be a part of the recovery process (and already is, per the 100x35 initiative rolled out last week). Could we actually see traffic increase due to the rebuilding efforts? Could we even see more capacity to BQN and PSE to help with the efforts in the cities further away from SJU? Lots to watch out for.

VS4ever wrote:
my company has an office in PR, just outside of SJU and are fortunate to have some power at least, so much so that one of the Gov't departments wants to camp there while reconstruction takes place. Electricity is going to take up to 6 months, the schools are shut until at least Nov 1st and we've all seen the pictures about the rest of the place. So much so that there has been thought in our world of pulling people back to FL to assist there, particularly in some of the more Spanish speaking counties like Miami and Broward. SXM is supposed to be back on the grid Oct 6th, so something will start there, but the tourist season is trashed, just look at Maho beach. There will almost certainly be a shift to new places and i think you will see the new plans formulate over the next couple of months before the business snowbird season starts in earnest. Remember even South Florida like the Keys is also in a mess, even RSW might have a tough time.
Very happy to see the CM addition

I certainly suspect a not insignificant amount of Puerto Ricans will emigrate to Miami/FLL, but Orlando probably has the most to gain. NYC and BOS will also see some population shift.

Good point about RSW (and, to a lesser extent, SRQ/TPA). The east coast was largely spared, although I hesitate to think many people would shift their plans from the Gold Coast to the Miami/Broward/Palm Beach corridor. They may be in the same state, but they are worlds apart when it come to vibe and culture...

iyerhari

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:15 pm

One of the reasons why many folks residing in the US used to prefer to travel to SJU is because you do not need a visa or a passport if one is traveling in and out to the States. The current news does not look good either and it may take a long time to get tourists humming back again to Puerto Rico.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm

There was a comment made in the most recent OAG thread re: DL and BOS that I wanted to bring over to this thread. Basically a user questioned DL's comments about growing in BOS to 150 flights, yet it's reducing both BOS-LAX and BOS-SFO, two large markets from BOS. I replied that it could be due to constraints with their current set up in terminal A, but wanted to get others feedback here as well.

Wouldn't DL want to stay competitive in big business markets from BOS like SFO? Or are they happy with adding flights to BNA, MKE, etc on CR9's to get to the 150?

mikegigs

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:37 pm

Speaking of DL growing in Boston...

https://www.flightradar24.com/DAL158/f135264

DL158 from DTW is inbound and being operated by a 744 today! Any spotters around to catch a glimpse of the bird? Wonder why the aircraft is scheduled on this route. Doesn't seem to be a charter based off of the flight number.

Aircraft is N670US.

Edit: Looks like this route shares a flight number with the ICN-DTW flight. Normal equipment is a 717, so maybe it is a false alarm and FR24 just mixed things up :grumpy:

aaflyer777

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:06 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
There was a comment made in the most recent OAG thread re: DL and BOS that I wanted to bring over to this thread. Basically a user questioned DL's comments about growing in BOS to 150 flights, yet it's reducing both BOS-LAX and BOS-SFO, two large markets from BOS. I replied that it could be due to constraints with their current set up in terminal A, but wanted to get others feedback here as well.

Wouldn't DL want to stay competitive in big business markets from BOS like SFO? Or are they happy with adding flights to BNA, MKE, etc on CR9's to get to the 150?

The SFO reduction appears to be for the winter months when business traffic falls off a cliff. It is kind of an odd cut, you'd think they'd be able to make 2x daily work all year round but I guess the demand just isn't there, looks like the second flight resumes in March. With LAX I think they're just delaying the start of the third daily, it resumes in April.

airbazar

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:30 pm

iyerhari wrote:
One of the reasons why many folks residing in the US used to prefer to travel to SJU is because you do not need a visa or a passport if one is traveling in and out to the States. The current news does not look good either and it may take a long time to get tourists humming back again to Puerto Rico.

"Used to" being an important term because I don't believe that is the case anymore. Puerto Rico is an expensive place to vacation. Very expensive actually. A lot of tourists visiting PR are either catching a cruise ship or coming off a cruise ship, and are of a demographic that is very likely to have a passport. Besides that, this US passport theory can be debunked very quickly: Places like Mexico and the Dominican Republic see huge amounts of American tourists and a passport is required. So clearly Americans don't see the need to have a passport as an obstacle.

AviationAddict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 pm

mikegigs wrote:
Speaking of DL growing in Boston...

https://www.flightradar24.com/DAL158/f135264

DL158 from DTW is inbound and being operated by a 744 today! Any spotters around to catch a glimpse of the bird? Wonder why the aircraft is scheduled on this route. Doesn't seem to be a charter based off of the flight number.

Aircraft is N670US.

Edit: Looks like this route shares a flight number with the ICN-DTW flight. Normal equipment is a 717, so maybe it is a false alarm and FR24 just mixed things up :grumpy:

Yeah Flightaware is showing the usual 717 so, probably just a snafu over at FR24.

iyerhari

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm

airbazar wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
"Used to" being an important term because I don't believe that is the case anymore. So clearly Americans don't see the need to have a passport as an obstacle.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... erritories

I have also checked with my colleagues who are on work visas - h1b and they are not required to furnish a passport/I797 work authorization document. Maybe they were never asked or they forgot ;)

Northeast748

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 pm

At the back of the Delta hangar, they are currently covering up the 744 and other plane images with one of an A359 I think.

mikegigs

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:59 pm

I was reading a Wiki article on jetbridges today (like any normal guy does lol) and the article mentioned BOS being an airport with bridges designed specifically for the A380. This got me thinking about gates E10-E12 and I started to wonder how A380 operations are going at BOS.

Specifically, has anyone boarded an A380 at Terminal E yet? Are they boarding first class passengers directly from airline lounges up on the fourth floor yet? I always was impressed by the exclusivity of that but I wondered how well communication there was between gate agents upstairs in the lounge and downstairs at the regular gate area. If anyone could point me in the direction of a trip report that'd be great!

johhn14

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:13 pm

mikegigs wrote:
I was reading a Wiki article on jetbridges today (like any normal guy does lol) and the article mentioned BOS being an airport with bridges designed specifically for the A380. This got me thinking about gates E10-E12 and I started to wonder how A380 operations are going at BOS.

Specifically, has anyone boarded an A380 at Terminal E yet? Are they boarding first class passengers directly from airline lounges up on the fourth floor yet? I always was impressed by the exclusivity of that but I wondered how well communication there was between gate agents upstairs in the lounge and downstairs at the regular gate area. If anyone could point me in the direction of a trip report that'd be great!

BA is the only airline and yes, they can board directly from the lounge. I believe Lufthansa and Emirates should also be able to do direct lounge boarding - regardless of aircraft type. I was in there just prior to Emirates opening their new lounge so I didn't get to board directly from there so no direct experience.

airbazar

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:27 pm

mikegigs wrote:

"Directly" is a bit misleading. The jetbridges do not attach to the lounge. The lounges have a door that accesses the pier where the jetbridges are connected to. There are escalators inside this pier to allow passengers to move between levels. There are 3 airline lounges with direct access to the jet bridge pier: BA, EK, and LH. You have direct access from the lounge to this pier and then from the pier to the the plane via a jetbridge, regardless of what type of aircraft is operating. When I last flew out I was on a BA 744 and we had "direct access". The way it worked was like this: At boarding time there is a gate agent setup at the lounge exit door. They check the boarding pass and after exiting the lounge you take the escalators down to a lower level where you can board the plane thru one of the jetbridges.

VS4ever

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Well they were right when they said evening crush at Terminal A security. That was buuuusssyyyy... that said got through in about 1/2 an hour. Bizarrely taking my first trip on a 333 with Mrs VS back home to England via AMS. Already delayed 30 minutes. This is going to be fun.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:48 am

Has there been any info on how DL's BOS-DUB flight is doing?

adamh8297

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Q1 2017 Table 6 Data was released recently.

Here's top 10 unserved markets in PDEW. Winter is tough for BOS for these smaller markets though SAT seems like a viable option even with three airlines serving BOS-AUS.

SAT - 132
TUS - 82
MEM - 76
ABQ - 75
SDF - 72
EYW - 64
RNO - 60
BHM - 55
MSN - 54
GRR - 52

Top 10 markets (over 50 PDEW) in % change

BNA 42.6%
SLC 34.7%
CHS 30.7%
GRR 24.9%
MYR 21.7%
NYC 18.9%
SAT 15.7%
SAV 15.5%
MSY 12.7%
BHM 11.7%

Top 10 Markets in PDEW Change
NYC - 306
BNA - 140
WAS - 126
SLC - 99
ATL - 98
CHI - 81
HOU - 63
CHS - 52
DAL - 50
MSY - 40

DL BOS-BNA and B6 BOS-LGA/SLC factor in in these increases big time. BOS-ATL started in March so Q2 will probably see a big jump in ATL numbers.

Top 10 Decreases for markets over 50 PDEW

MKE -12.9%
CMH -10.1%
MIA - 7.9%
IND - 7.6%
PBI - 7.4%
SDF - 3.9%
ROC - 3.8%
RDU - 3.8%
SRQ - 3.7%
DTW -3.2%

Top 10 Decreases in PDEW
MIA - 173
PBI - 59
SFO - 35
RSW - 30
CMH - 24
MKE - 22
RDU - 22
IND -18
DTW -16
CLT - 13

What was up with South Florida????? New England didn't have the worst winter so maybe that was a cause of lower numbers.

chrisnh

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:38 pm

I thought the drive from AUS to SAT would be like driving from BOS to MHT. It seemed like a comparative drive last time I did it several years ago. But nope. It’s a LONG drive down 35. So flying into AUS to get to SAT isn’t the piece of cake i thought it was.

jetbluefan1

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:42 pm

adamh8297 wrote:

Here's top 10 unserved markets in PDEW. Winter is tough for BOS for these smaller markets though SAT seems like a viable option even with three airlines serving BOS-AUS.

SAT - 132
TUS - 82
MEM - 76
ABQ - 75
SDF - 72
EYW - 64
RNO - 60
BHM - 55
MSN - 54
GRR - 52

BNA 42.6%
SLC 34.7%
CHS 30.7%
GRR 24.9%
MYR 21.7%
NYC 18.9%
SAT 15.7%
SAV 15.5%
MSY 12.7%
BHM 11.7%

NYC - 306
BNA - 140
WAS - 126
SLC - 99
ATL - 98
CHI - 81
HOU - 63
CHS - 52
DAL - 50
MSY - 40

DL BOS-BNA and B6 BOS-LGA/SLC factor in in these increases big time. BOS-ATL started in March so Q2 will probably see a big jump in ATL numbers.

MKE -12.9%
CMH -10.1%
MIA - 7.9%
IND - 7.6%
PBI - 7.4%
SDF - 3.9%
ROC - 3.8%
RDU - 3.8%
SRQ - 3.7%
DTW -3.2%

Top 10 Decreases in PDEW
MIA - 173
PBI - 59
SFO - 35
RSW - 30
CMH - 24
MKE - 22
RDU - 22
IND -18
DTW -16
CLT - 13

What was up with South Florida????? New England didn't have the worst winter so maybe that was a cause of lower numbers.

Thanks for posting! I think you hit the head regarding South Florida -- winter 2017 wasn't too terrible for the Northeast (especially compared to the disastrous 2016 season).

Just waiting for B6 to enter the BOS-SAT market - 1x E190 would be perfect for the market, and it could be a good way to differentiate itself for Texas-based travelers who live closer to SAT than AUS (and would probably choose WN from AUS if a nonstop SAT link wasn't available).

adamh8297

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:23 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:

Just waiting for B6 to enter the BOS-SAT market - 1x E190 would be perfect for the market, and it could be a good way to differentiate itself for Texas-based travelers who live closer to SAT than AUS (and would probably choose WN from AUS if a nonstop SAT link wasn't available).

I wonder if WN is the right airline for BOS-SAT.

They are the market leader with 36.6% of the market and 267.70 average fare for the quarter we are looking and are the leader for past two years. Average fares for all airlines are 281.82 and UA is the low fare carrier with 258 average fare and 12.85% of the market.

I'm surprised at UA's low number..I wonder if AA is a close second or is it an even split with DL.

tlecam

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 am

adamh8297 wrote:

SAT - 132
TUS - 82
MEM - 76
ABQ - 75
SDF - 72
EYW - 64
RNO - 60
BHM - 55
MSN - 54
GRR - 52

BNA 42.6%
SLC 34.7%
CHS 30.7%
GRR 24.9%
MYR 21.7%
NYC 18.9%
SAT 15.7%
SAV 15.5%
MSY 12.7%
BHM 11.7%

NYC - 306
BNA - 140
WAS - 126
SLC - 99
ATL - 98
CHI - 81
HOU - 63
CHS - 52
DAL - 50
MSY - 40

MKE -12.9%
CMH -10.1%
MIA - 7.9%
IND - 7.6%
PBI - 7.4%
SDF - 3.9%
ROC - 3.8%
RDU - 3.8%
SRQ - 3.7%
DTW -3.2%

Top 10 Decreases in PDEW
MIA - 173
PBI - 59
SFO - 35
RSW - 30
CMH - 24
MKE - 22
RDU - 22
IND -18
DTW -16
CLT - 13

Very interesting...thanks for posting.

pitbosflyer

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Interesting AA will be switching up PIT-BOS in December. Goes from 3x daily CRJ2s to 2x daily Piedmont E145s and 1x daily Republic E175. The recent DL route add maybe? Not adding that much extra capacity though.

Capn

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Any word on how DL is doing on their new routes out of BOS
Thanks in advance

iyerhari

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:

They are the market leader with 36.6% of the market and 267.70 average fare for the quarter we are looking and are the leader for past two years. Average fares for all airlines are 281.82 and UA is the low fare carrier with 258 average fare and 12.85% of the market.

I'm surprised at UA's low number..I wonder if AA is a close second or is it an even split with DL.

As per Wiki, Southwest market share is a solid 41.92% - almost 2.5 times that of AA and more than thrice of DL. It is even surprising that the top destinations at SAT is DFW and ATL which are not flown by Southwest and IAH is the number 4 but these carriers (AA, DL, UA) are way behind Southwest. Maybe Southwest ditches CMH and instead flies SAT. I have flown the early am Southwest flight and the flight is barely full - instead you get a full seat to sleep towards the back of the plane.

Anybody think DL will restart BOS-MEM?

adamh8297

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 am

iyerhari wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:

As per Wiki, Southwest market share is a solid 41.92% - almost 2.5 times that of AA and more than thrice of DL. It is even surprising that the top destinations at SAT is DFW and ATL which are not flown by Southwest and IAH is the number 4 but these carriers (AA, DL, UA) are way behind Southwest. Maybe Southwest ditches CMH and instead flies SAT. I have flown the early am Southwest flight and the flight is barely full - instead you get a full seat to sleep towards the back of the plane.

Anybody think DL will restart BOS-MEM?

WN is the O+D leader by far >60% in SAT-Dallas/Houston. Flying to the other airports in the big Texas cities does help. I'm surprised they haven't tried to grab the incentives offered by SAT for BOS.

WN does fly double daily ATL-SAT too!

I wouldn't be shocked either way on BOS-MEM returning or not with DL.

iyerhari

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 pm

http://tpr.org/post/southwest-airlines- ... nations-sa

Top of the list is BOS and DCA.

I just checked MEM DL destinations - they fly to only ATL, DTW, LGA, MSP, LAX. I used to use the DL terminal and it was nice. I haven't traveled from there since it got dehubbed - but it may be looking desolate - kind of what happened after US dehubbed PIT.

tlecam

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Regarding MEM, I wouldn't be surprised if RDU/SEA/BOS get added at some point, but that's about it. I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get added.

I have no idea on SAT. I don't know much about the market. It doesn't strike me as attractive as say, BNA or AUS.

VS4ever

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm

honestly I don't think DL are going to do a whole lot more until WN disappear off to B unless they really want to crank up the turns. I think they will come, but not until that happens.

Capn

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:10 pm

VS4ever wrote:
honestly I don't think DL are going to do a whole lot more until WN disappear off to B unless they really want to crank up the turns. I think they will come, but not until that happens.

Thank you for all the great info you post on this thread. Would you please clarify when SW is moving to B,its been posted as both 2018 and 2019 curious as to what is correct
Thanks

VS4ever

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Capn wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Thank you for all the great info you post on this thread. Would you please clarify when SW is moving to B,its been posted as both 2018 and 2019 curious as to what is correct
Thanks

It has been posted as both, I don't think there is anything totally official on that front. I've looked through the capital plan and the last few board meeting minutes and cannot find anything conclusive. The anecdotal evidence is as follows: DL have said they want to take their terminal back to up their flights to 150 departures a day. Need those gates to do that given the evening constraints on A13-A17 due to International Departures. Terminal B consolidation of UA and AA/US will be completed by end of 18 and AA/US will then have the space to provide WN with I believe I have heard 7 gates in B. Allowing for actual communication time to customers and for WN to change their systems and get their gate space cleaned, set up and ready to go, my general feeling is that it will either be Oct 18 (DL seem to announce Winter routes starting end of October) or early 2019.
I wish i had something more definitive. When the next financial report (for June 2017) is completed, that might give us more of a hint, because they do document the leases for each terminal and A's was due up 2016 and WN's was month to month at that point. So they can get out quick if needed.

Hopefully that gives you some guidance...

As a side note, I wonder if DL are not wanting people to sit down waiting for their planes, so they can get them out on time per this project:
L1544 Electrifying Terminal A Seats (just kidding)...

330west

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Terminal B consolidation of UA and AA/US will be completed by end of 18 and AA/US will then have the space to provide WN with I believe I have heard 7 gates in B.

Without significant reconstruction, can the AA pier be reconfigured to accommodate more than seven gates?

Capn

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Capn wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Thanks

It has been posted as both, I don't think there is anything totally official on that front. I've looked through the capital plan and the last few board meeting minutes and cannot find anything conclusive. The anecdotal evidence is as follows: DL have said they want to take their terminal back to up their flights to 150 departures a day. Need those gates to do that given the evening constraints on A13-A17 due to International Departures. Terminal B consolidation of UA and AA/US will be completed by end of 18 and AA/US will then have the space to provide WN with I believe I have heard 7 gates in B. Allowing for actual communication time to customers and for WN to change their systems and get their gate space cleaned, set up and ready to go, my general feeling is that it will either be Oct 18 (DL seem to announce Winter routes starting end of October) or early 2019.
I wish i had something more definitive. When the next financial report (for June 2017) is completed, that might give us more of a hint, because they do document the leases for each terminal and A's was due up 2016 and WN's was month to month at that point. So they can get out quick if needed.

Hopefully that gives you some guidance...

As a side note, I wonder if DL are not wanting people to sit down waiting for their planes, so they can get them out on time per this project:
L1544 Electrifying Terminal A Seats (just kidding)...

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to look up all that info.
I will hope that it is sooner than later, I think it will be very interesting when DLs next expansion comes.

330west

Re: Boston Aviation - Part 137

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 pm

B752OS wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
So I heard that AA is going to yank IFE from all their narrow-body aircraft. Since (aside from a couple instances) everything flown through BOS is narrow-body...even those transcontinental flights on 737-800s...what do you think that will do to their business? This seems rather draconian. Yanking meals I can understand, but IFE??? The cost to do it probably exceeds the savings.

Personally I think it is a mistake, but it's easy for me to say from my armchair. I flew BOS-LAX-BOS on AA last year and was pleasantly surprised by the TVs on the 738 setbacks.

I don't think it'll hurt much. Almost everyone has a laptop or tablet these days and the few who don't probably either don't travel much and/or are paying low fares and won't be missed much.

mikegigs

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm

330west wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Terminal B consolidation of UA and AA/US will be completed by end of 18 and AA/US will then have the space to provide WN with I believe I have heard 7 gates in B.

Without significant reconstruction, can the AA pier be reconfigured to accommodate more than seven gates?

Looking at Google Maps, I'm going to say no.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3633701 ... authuser=0

They might be able to squeeze in one more at the end of the pier by gate B33 as it is a widebody gate and WN would not need one of those. Can't add one by gate B30 because that would block UA's access to B29. I would be surprised if WN needed more than 7 gates though. They have 4 now and i don't think they are itching to expand in BOS. Massport could even move WS over here if they needed to - or maybe KS to give AA more room?

Speaking of, I thought I remember hearing rumblings of AC moving to the pmAA of Terminal B, or did I make that up?

VS4ever

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:05 pm

If you have the time I recommend reading the attached . Basically AA will be giving up at least 3 gates from 21 to 18. However 3 of those are subleased to AC if I am reading it right (may not be) . In theory 7 gates would be easy with B30-B36 but could UA manage with the remainder, who knows. WN would need at least 5 when they move across as that’s what they have access to right now. It also mentions completion early 2019 and the start of the Terminal E addition in 2019 and I saw elsewhere of completion of phase 1 of that in 2022 and the 2nd phase by 2025 https://www.massport.com/media/2420/tbo ... inal-2.pdf

B752OS

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:23 am

VS4ever wrote:
If you have the time I recommend reading the attached . Basically AA will be giving up at least 3 gates from 21 to 18. However 3 of those are subleased to AC if I am reading it right (may not be) . In theory 7 gates would be easy with B30-B36 but could UA manage with the remainder, who knows. WN would need at least 5 when they move across as that’s what they have access to right now. It also mentions completion early 2019 and the start of the Terminal E addition in 2019 and I saw elsewhere of completion of phase 1 of that in 2022 and the 2nd phase by 2025 https://www.massport.com/media/2420/tbo ... inal-2.pdf

Hopefully there aren't any hiccups and the terminal B expansion is done on time and the terminal E expansion gets underway quickly. I'd also like to see Massport work on getting higher ceiling heights in the terminals to make things feel a bit less claustrophobic. DCA has managed to rebuild its terminals in a manner like that while also dealing with a tight footprint similar to BOS.

RL757PVD

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 am

Per this... Massport was supposed to celebrate the launch of ORH-JFK back on Sept 20

https://www.massport.com/media/2570/092 ... ermark.pdf

The enthusiasm is clearly one-sided on this one, it almost reads like a long-con

iyerhari

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Thank you. One thing that strikes out is Massport really likes B6 over other airlines - they announce B6 BOS-SYR but haven't mentioned anything regarding DL which has added at-least 8-10 destinations this year.

iyerhari

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Bad news again for TK?
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2 ... story.html

How much of this will affect US based tourists and India/Middle east bound passengers will be interesting to watch.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos