32andBelow

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 14

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:14 am

jbpdx wrote:
[*]
pnwpdx wrote:
After about a month into the service, does anyone know how DL is doing with PDX-LHR on their seasonal/4 times a week service?

I've randomly checked various days going forward and they're pretty full, especially first class. DL allows a view of active seat maps, BA doesn't.

Idk how accurate those are. As a non rev delta will be showing 30 open seats. Then 25 people will autoclear into "open seats" at close out

RWA380

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:35 am

lhpdx wrote:
Look like Cathay Pacific has increased year -round Cargo service from two to three flights per week and will be providing five flights per week during peak times associated with seasonal northwest agricultural products.

I thought this would be a hit, I'm glad to see the P.O.P. is bringing us new service.

bigfoot0503 wrote:
I agree that DL could initiate PDX-LAS with the a regional jet or 717. They offer non-stops at SJC and SAN to LAS, so why not PDX?

The do for the Electronic show each year.

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Delta is once again adding PDX-LAS n/s flights for the 2018 Consumer Electronic Show (CES). Two flights each way, Jan 7-12 only.

DL4691 PDX-LAS 0600-0813 CR9
DL4639 PDX-LAS 1430-1637 CR9

DL4691 LAS-PDX 0900-1128 CR9
DL4639 LAS-PDX 1715-1945 CR9

Not much of a schedule compared to last year, guess it wasn't as popular as they had hoped,
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

bigfoot0503

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 am

RWA380 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Look like Cathay Pacific has increased year -round Cargo service from two to three flights per week and will be providing five flights per week during peak times associated with seasonal northwest agricultural products.

I thought this would be a hit, I'm glad to see the P.O.P. is bringing us new service.

bigfoot0503 wrote:
I agree that DL could initiate PDX-LAS with the a regional jet or 717. They offer non-stops at SJC and SAN to LAS, so why not PDX?

The do for the Electronic show each year.

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Delta is once again adding PDX-LAS n/s flights for the 2018 Consumer Electronic Show (CES). Two flights each way, Jan 7-12 only.

DL4691 PDX-LAS 0600-0813 CR9
DL4639 PDX-LAS 1430-1637 CR9

DL4691 LAS-PDX 0900-1128 CR9
DL4639 LAS-PDX 1715-1945 CR9

Not much of a schedule compared to last year, guess it wasn't as popular as they had hoped,

The LAS flights from SJC & SAN I was making reference to are actually year-round offerings, at 2/3 flights per day mostly on Delta Connection. (Not CES additions)
oregon-aviator

lhpdx

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm

ttps://popcdn.azureedge.net/pdfs/PDXaminer_7_17.pdf

It's has been confirmed that the CC-E extension will be 830' instead of 750'..........

flyoregon

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:06 pm

With the recent announcements of LGW-AUS/ORD on Norwegian, and ZRH-DEN on Edelweiss, any wagers on DY taking a stab at PDX from LGW? I could even see Edelweiss to ZRH.

I think all on this thread would agree that it would be great to see this service, and for those that say PDX is well served to Europe, I completely agree. BUT, with a steadily growing city, huge tourism draw, and a growing tech and start-up environment, I don't think having LGW and ZRH added to the map would hurt the existing service...especially with less than daily service.

I'll get hammered for the comparison, but I see SAN, AUS, and DEN get these new fights, and I know there are a lot of differences even between the three, but there are also a lot of similarities between them and Portland.

I would welcome a flight on Norwegian and Edelweiss to compliment the great service we already have to KEF, AMS, LHR, and FRA.

lhpdx

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm

I could see PDX supporting a seasonal summer flight to Paris during the summer months.........

flymco753

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:16 pm

So far on the inaugural AS flight on 30 AUG from PDX to DTW, 41 seats are blocked, assuming 41 seats are sold and the fare is $201. On the Detroit return, 62 seats are blocked, again assuming all 62 are sold and the fare is $149.

Not too long ago, the market was seasonal, now it's warranting 3 daily during peak travel, this just comes to show you how airlines breaking a monopolized route can make a difference. Keep these numbers in mind until the date gets closer.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

TransWorldOne

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:23 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
After about a month into the service, does anyone know how DL is doing with PDX-LHR on their seasonal/4 times a week service?

The flight must be doing decently. It resumes earlier next season in March instead of May. It would be nice to see it go year round. On a related note, does anyone know why Virgin Atlantic branding is no where to be found in the promotion of this flight? You would think DL would want to capitalize on the strong VS brand to better promote the flight. Isn't PDX-LHR part of the DL/VS joint venture after all?

PDXPOL

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:41 pm

lhpdx wrote:
I could see PDX supporting a seasonal summer flight to Paris during the summer months.........

This is absolutely true, I have been to a few meetings this year. The Port of Portland says there is still a need for additional summer seasonal to Europe. What is interesting is CBP is saying they have no more staffing. They want the Port to pay for staffing for the Aero Mexico flight. I asked and this is common at other airports, but the Port said they will not pay for CBP.
Last edited by PDXPOL on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDXPOL

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 pm

pnwpdx wrote:

Watching the gates it appears to me, I would guess 80% full or more. I am on the flight in August and leave on a Saturday which is leisure travelers. The flight is about 3/4 full or more. I return from CDG, wish there was a direct flight. I go through SLC. That flight is also 3/4 full. Both doing well on filling the Delta 1 seats.
Last edited by PDXPOL on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyoregon

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:48 pm

PDXPOL wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

This absolutely true, I have been to a few meetings this year. The Port of Portland says there is still a need for additional summer seasonal to Europe. What is interesting is CBP is saying they have no more staffing. They want the Port to pay for staffing for the Aero Mexico flight. I asked and this is common at other airports, but the Port said they will not pay for CBP.

If we continue to get more international flights, something definitely needs to be done as it relates to CBP. Even with schedule spacing between the arrivals of NRT, AMS, LHR, KEF, and FRA, nobody's working 24 hour shifts.

jbpdx

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:59 pm

therouteshop.com, part of anna.aero, had listed both CDG and ORY as seeking an airline to add a nonstop to PDX. It's no longer listed. That either means an airline has made a preliminary commitment or the airports have dropped their push. Delta could alternate with LHR 4x/3x to Paris, or the other more likely option would be Norwegian. PDX-LGW is a long shot.

PDX757

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:41 am

If there is a need for additional summer lift to Europe and most of the traffic is for leisure, it wouldn't surprise me if DY were to make an entry to the Portland market.
Condor and Icelandair year round and or daily may occur before a new entrant. Unless they don't have enough aircraft to make it work.

bigfoot0503

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Many of us would agree that PDX could likely support additional service to Europe, be that one of the seasonal carriers adjusting their schedule for year round service or perhaps the entrance of another carrier introducing service to a new market, i.e. (CDG).

Mentioned somewhat infrequently is the notion of new service to Asia. Obviously as of now PDX has non-stop service to NRT on DL. With some of the recent changes to the DL NRT hub, introduction of the SEA DL hub and now the JV with KE...we have all speculated as to the future of the NRT route. One thing that remains clear is that PDX can and will support one or more routes to Asia.

I attended the Portland Timbers game the other evening and before hand had dinner and walked around downtown, the Pearl District and NW Portland with my daughter. We took the MAX light rail to downtown and rode the Portland Streetcar from there and around the Pearl District. Although anecdotal in nature I must say I was really surprised at the number of Asian tourists that we saw. On the Streetcar, which was standing room only, there was a tourist group of probably 20-25 people with their tour group leader. I'm not certain where they were from but in listening to them speak I would have guessed China. Simply just encountering different groups along our way reaffirmed my observation as to the number of Asian tourists. I wish I could recall the source but recently read a statistic that Chinese citizens encompass one of the the largest percentage of visitors to Portland. Not only do they represent one of the largest groups of foreign travelers but also they happen to encompass the largest increase of all groups. Tourist numbers aside there is significant economic need for additional air service to Asia. The fact that Cathay Pacific has increased their flying out of PDX has got to say something regarding the commerce between our area and Asia and the ability to get goods from point A to point B. Frankly I could see Hainan, or a Sky Team carrier(s) such as China Southern, China Eastern or the quickly growing Xiamen Air all being a decent fit at PDX. Time will tell, but as the Port of Portland has previously indicated an additional Asia flight has been one of their top priorities.
oregon-aviator

flyoregon

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Many of us would agree that PDX could likely support additional service to Europe, be that one of the seasonal carriers adjusting their schedule for year round service or perhaps the entrance of another carrier introducing service to a new market, i.e. (CDG).

Mentioned somewhat infrequently is the notion of new service to Asia. Obviously as of now PDX has non-stop service to NRT on DL. With some of the recent changes to the DL NRT hub, introduction of the SEA DL hub and now the JV with KE...we have all speculated as to the future of the NRT route. One thing that remains clear is that PDX can and will support one or more routes to Asia.

I attended the Portland Timbers game the other evening and before hand had dinner and walked around downtown, the Pearl District and NW Portland with my daughter. We took the MAX light rail to downtown and rode the Portland Streetcar from there and around the Pearl District. Although anecdotal in nature I must say I was really surprised at the number of Asian tourists that we saw. On the Streetcar, which was standing room only, there was a tourist group of probably 20-25 people with their tour group leader. I'm not certain where they were from but in listening to them speak I would have guessed China. Simply just encountering different groups along our way reaffirmed my observation as to the number of Asian tourists. I wish I could recall the source but recently read a statistic that Chinese citizens encompass one of the the largest percentage of visitors to Portland. Not only do they represent one of the largest groups of foreign travelers but also they happen to encompass the largest increase of all groups. Tourist numbers aside there is significant economic need for additional air service to Asia. The fact that Cathay Pacific has increased their flying out of PDX has got to say something regarding the commerce between our area and Asia and the ability to get goods from point A to point B. Frankly I could see Hainan, or a Sky Team carrier(s) such as China Southern, China Eastern or the quickly growing Xiamen Air all being a decent fit at PDX. Time will tell, but as the Port of Portland has previously indicated an additional Asia flight has been one of their top priorities.

Honestly, I'm surprised Hainan hasn't announced service to Portland. As has been said before by I think RWA380, the first to start PDX-China is going to do amazingly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Korean replace Delta's PDX-Tokyo with PDX-Seoul, Hainan to Beijing, Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, and JAL to Tokyo.

That's very probably overkill for Portland, but like you said, Portland can certainly support additional flights to Asia. All of these people visiting are flying through SFO, YVR, or SEA as it is. It'll happen. Just depends on when of course.

PDXPOL

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:14 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:

You might be referring to the article just the other day on Oregon Live. http://www.oregonlive.com/data/2017/06/ ... owing.html

Asian ethnicity is the fastest growing population in Oregon. I would suspect to see a Chinese airline within two years. Just last year now retired POP Bill Wyatt was in China for a conference and the Port was approached by an unnamed Chinese air carrier that is interested in PDX, but just not at the moment.

bigfoot0503

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 am

PDXPOL wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

You might be referring to the article just the other day on Oregon Live. http://www.oregonlive.com/data/2017/06/ ... owing.html

Asian ethnicity is the fastest growing population in Oregon. I would suspect to see a Chinese airline within two years. Just last year now retired POP Bill Wyatt was in China for a conference and the Port was approached by an unnamed Chinese air carrier that is interested in PDX, but just not at the moment.

Interesting article...thanks for sharing PDXPOL. I was completely unaware of the change in our state's demographics...it is indeed intriguing that the growth rate of the Asian population in Oregon has now outpaced that of Hispanics to lead all demographic categories. While the Oregonian article makes mention of those who are residents, the statistic I had mentioned previously pertained to non citizens, specifically Asian tourists. The more I think on the matter I want to say that the article or study came from a source like Travel Portland or similar.
oregon-aviator

RWA380

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:20 am

flyoregon wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

Honestly, I'm surprised Hainan hasn't announced service to Portland. As has been said before by I think RWA380, the first to start PDX-China is going to do amazingly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Korean replace Delta's PDX-Tokyo with PDX-Seoul, Hainan to Beijing, Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, and JAL to Tokyo.

That's very probably overkill for Portland, but like you said, Portland can certainly support additional flights to Asia. All of these people visiting are flying through SFO, YVR, or SEA as it is. It'll happen. Just depends on when of course.

You speak the truth, whomever of the Chinese carriers that jumps onto PEK-PDX will do well in the future. It's definitely a matter of when not if. I do know that a partnership with AS will be key & HU is my choice & the 788 a perfect aircraft for the route. PDX is ripe for new routes on the 787.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

jbpdx

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Here's a perfect example of herd mentality. Preference for overcrowded airports and higher landing fees, plus forcing lots of passengers to connect. Zero PDX-ICN, 5 SEA-ICN. Image

ANA787

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Did anyone notice that an Air France codeshare number has finally been placed on DL's PDX-AMS along with KLM and Jet airways flight number?

AF3646 Portland > Amsterdam
AF3588 Amsterdam > Portland

On Air France's booking site the nonstop PDX-AMS is really being pushed for all Europe-PDX-Europe flights.

Makes me wonder if AF/DL will consider PDX-CDG soon.

ooslc

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:22 am

jbpdx wrote:
Here's a perfect example of herd mentality. Preference for overcrowded airports and higher landing fees, plus forcing lots of passengers to connect. Zero PDX-ICN, 5 SEA-ICN. Image

Not to be nit picky, but two of those flights are cargo flights. I agree, PDX needs a new Asia link. I'd love to see KE fly their 789 here. Plenty of gate space down at the end of D. D12 and 14 are empty pretty much every morning/early afternoon.
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

KPDX

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 am

Finally returned to the motherland for a couple of weeks. Caught a few interesting items at PDX in the few hours I was spotting... :)

Frontier A320neo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bw_R8H6hRw

PDX757

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 pm

ooslc wrote:
Not to be nit picky, but two of those flights are cargo flights. I agree, PDX needs a new Asia link. I'd love to see KE fly their 789 here. Plenty of gate space down at the end of D. D12 and 14 are empty pretty much every morning/early afternoon.

I don't see KE starting ICN without DL axing NRT. NRT has been on a 763 for as long as I can remember, if DL needed more lift it would make sense to upgauge first.

910A

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:43 am

PDX757 wrote:
NRT has been on a 763 for as long as I can remember,

Since the first part of June 2009..

DBun

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2017

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:29 am

I was driving by PDX around 11am today and saw an An-124 in Volga-Dnepr livery parked outside of flightcraft on the North Apron. I did not get a picture (as I was driving)- but it was a pretty cool rare treat. I see from Wikipedia its visited PDX before (this photo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-124_Ruslan#/media/File:Volga-Dnepr_Antonov_124-100.jpg. Does anyone know what sort of mission it might have been performing?

jbpdx

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 am

ADB 278 came in from SEA Friday night. This is the third time in the past few weeks one of those massive Antonovs has been at PDX. Who knows what it's doing here this time, but it frequently carries large aircraft components. It's a frequent visitor to PDX based on the video clips on YouTube.

kunta67

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:27 am

Does anyone know if United is still thinking about leasing a hangar to do A checks?

jbpdx

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:54 pm

F9 DEN-PDX OCT 3>1.5 NOV 0.1>0.0

It appears Frontier is pulling out of Portland. Seasonal to CLE ends in Oct. Zero flights to Denver as of November. Maybe United will start flying more and bigger planes to DEN.

ooslc

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:30 pm

jbpdx wrote:

It appears Frontier is pulling out of Portland. Seasonal to CLE ends in Oct. Zero flights to Denver as of November. Maybe United will start flying more and bigger planes to DEN.

All of Frontier's schedule ends Nov 1st. I can't book anything anywhere after then. Something smells fishy at F9 to only have 3.5 months of schedule available. Even WN has over 3 more months after that available to book.

We shall see what the future holds.
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

TransWorldOne

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm

According to the latest OAG update compiled by enrilia, DL will launch 1X SEA-MFR service in the spring.

ooslc

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:45 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
According to the latest OAG update compiled by enrilia, DL will launch 1X SEA-MFR service in the spring.

About time DL connected all the major Oregon dots. (PDX, RDM, EUG, and MFR). 1x daily is going to be hard to compete with Alaska's 4x. Let's see how this will do. I personally think it should leave around 845-9pm vs 7pm to catch the 7-8pm flights that come in (similar to the times of RDM and EUG).

jbpdx

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 am

F9 DEN-SNA OCT 2>1.4 NOV 0.1>0.0

In addition to Portland, looks like Frontier is pulling out of Santa Ana too. That was their only route from SNA.

lhpdx

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 am

jbpdx wrote:

In addition to Portland, looks like Frontier is pulling out of Santa Ana too. That was their only route from SNA.

Wow I had no idea that F9 was performing so poorly out of PDX...Hopefully AS will finally fill the void to DEN...................

910A

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 am

ooslc wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

About time DL connected all the major Oregon dots. (PDX, RDM, EUG, and MFR). 1x daily is going to be hard to compete with Alaska's 4x. Let's see how this will do. I personally think it should leave around 845-9pm vs 7pm to catch the 7-8pm flights that come in (similar to the times of RDM and EUG).

Service is aboard an E-175 Leaves MFR at 0540hrs and returns from SEA at 1900hrs.

ooslc

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 am

jbpdx wrote:

F9 is (probably) not leaving PDX. Their entire schedule is only published until November 1st. Their schedule beyond that should be released soon, according to twitter. I don't see PDX-DEN (and SNA) leaving their network.

jbpdx

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 am

lhpdx wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Wow I had no idea that F9 was performing so poorly out of PDX...Hopefully AS will finally fill the void to DEN...................

The only operating F9 route has been zeroed out, in November---holiday travel season.
Alaska adding and United using bigger planes will fill the void.

pdx

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 am

ooslc wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

All of Frontier's schedule ends Nov 1st. I can't book anything anywhere after then. Something smells fishy at F9 to only have 3.5 months of schedule available. Even WN has over 3 more months after that available to book.

We shall see what the future holds.

I don't think they're leaving PDX. For some reason they haven't opened their booking window past 01NOV. It applies to all their routes, not just PDX. On 12JUL their Facebook page said they hope to open up November (and on) in the next couple of weeks. Seems very strange that they'd be missing out on holiday travel bookings! Maybe big changes are coming? They're using A321's here so their loads can't be that bad. Who knows???

jbpdx

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 am

pdx wrote:
I don't think they're leaving PDX. For some reason they haven't opened their booking window past 01NOV. It applies to all their routes, not just PDX. On 12JUL their Facebook page said they hope to open up November (and on) in the next couple of weeks. Seems very strange that they'd be missing out on holiday travel bookings! Maybe big changes are coming? They're using A321's here so their loads can't be that bad. Who knows???

Lots of reductions on the list, some expansions, for some reason only PDX and SNA go to zero.

dc10lover

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 am

TransWorldOne wrote:

It starts October 2017.
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

jbpdx

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:11 pm

I've asked PDX about Frontier ending service at the airport. Apparently F9 is announcing new routes tomorrow so maybe something will be said then.

Airnerd

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 pm

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/inde ... l_mak.html

Recent newspaper article on $1.3B in PDX improvement plans.

flyoregon

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 am

Did anyone else notice that Virgin America is starting LAX-PDX again per the OAG thread?

ooslc

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:40 am

flyoregon wrote:
Did anyone else notice that Virgin America is starting LAX-PDX again per the OAG thread?

Looks like it's only running during the holidays. Nov 17th-Jan 2nd then it's gone again.

nmraja

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:15 am

I did an AMS-PDX on DL yesterday. Flight was pretty much full except for the odd middle seats being empty. I was put on the middle but asked the gate agent to move me to an aisle which they did promptly. In fact, they flight crew tried to accommodate seat change requests and meal change requests in a pleasing manner that I had seen in carriers like SQ and CX. I am glad to see it from DL. My last 2 trips on the AMS-PDX segment have been better than I thought it would be. I used to hope for a PDX-CDG from AF. Now, I am hoping it to be a DL one. :)
Raja.

jbpdx

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:44 pm

On the Frontier app there are no flights bookable from Portland after 1 November. The only destination is DEN and you cannot select a flight to book. Unless this is an oversight, I'd say PDX is being eliminated from the network. I can't imagine they'd maintain operations with one daily departure. Doubt they'll issue a press release saying they're leaving.

TransWorldOne

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 pm

jbpdx wrote:
On the Frontier app there are no flights bookable from Portland after 1 November. The only destination is DEN and you cannot select a flight to book. Unless this is an oversight, I'd say PDX is being eliminated from the network. I can't imagine they'd maintain operations with one daily departure. Doubt they'll issue a press release saying they're leaving.

I'm not too disappointed to see them leave. PDX-DEN is pretty well covered and I expect Alaska to restart the route soon anyways.

TransWorldOne

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 pm

nmraja wrote:
I did an AMS-PDX on DL yesterday. Flight was pretty much full except for the odd middle seats being empty. I was put on the middle but asked the gate agent to move me to an aisle which they did promptly. In fact, they flight crew tried to accommodate seat change requests and meal change requests in a pleasing manner that I had seen in carriers like SQ and CX. I am glad to see it from DL. My last 2 trips on the AMS-PDX segment have been better than I thought it would be. I used to hope for a PDX-CDG from AF. Now, I am hoping it to be a DL one. :)

Some of those "grandma's" provide pretty good service, don't they? I've taken this route many times and it always been fine. The A330's are quite comfortable, the entertainment and wifi are great, and the beverage carts come out several times. I know it's en vogue to complain about US Carriers but I think it's way overblown. I love having this flight out of PDX.

dc10lover

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 am

Medford still breaking passenger records.

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/2017071 ... new-record
Ever Wish You Can Go Back In Time And Live In An Earlier Era Of Aviation?

pdx

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 am

jbpdx wrote:

We're fine. You can book F9 now through 07APR to/from PDX, however only "Discount DEN" (club) fares are available. Their expansion announcement is crazy! I imagine a lot of their new flights won't be around 6 months from now. They're such a random airline. Anybody know if they're filling their flights to PHX and CLE?

flyoregon

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 pm

The question I'm about to pose may stem from a bit of bitterness or jealousy based on todays announcement of Thomas Cook starting MAN-SEA. Nevertheless, I'd like to know everyone's opinion: Is the Port of Portland doing enough to attract international service to PDX?

I'm torn. On the surface, PDX is nicely served internationally with 4 Euro destinations, 4 Mexico destinations, 3 Canadian destinations, and 1 Asian destination. On those routes, they are served by 5 foreign carriers. BUT, just like Seattle, albeit a smaller population, Portland is growing like crazy. It's a popular tourist destination with travelers coming from all over the world year-round...not just summer.

I think it would be different if FRA, KEF, and LHR were year-round. I also think my opinion would be different if we had more Asian service. It's not fair to compare Portland to Seattle or Vancouver. I get that. But when you look at the service from YVR to Asia, and SEA to Asia, surely Portland can support more than just a single flight to NRT.

So, with TCX flying MAN-SEA, once again Portland has been overlooked. Once again, we get the short stick and bursting at the seams, cramped, uncomfortable Sea-Tac gets more service. I never want to be Seattle, but I do wish the Portland identity was a little more independent. I'm very thankful for the service we have and it's great to see it mature in a healthy way.

So, with all of that said, is the Port doing enough? Being an outsider, it seems like they could be doing a little bit more on some levels.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos