Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wnflyguy

Re: STL Air Service Discussion

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:02 pm

stlgph wrote:
Aren't there gate issues with CLT and SLC?

CLT WN has 2 gates for about 8 Daily flights right now.
They can easily add 7 more flights.

SLC has 6 gates but I believe will go down to 4 temporary during relocation for the construction work.
Then if I’m not mistaken the will end up with 8 total when the new terminal is completed.

Tomorrow’s schedule release I’m guessing some more west coast connections via STL.

I don’t think you will see any STL-SLC/CLT.
I’m going to guess STL-RIC,STL-PWM,STL-ONT and STL-BUR.
Flyguy

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
stlgph wrote:

SLC has 6 gates but I believe will go down to 4 temporary during relocation for the construction work.
Then if I’m not mistaken the will end up with 8 total when the new terminal is completed.

Tomorrow’s schedule release I’m guessing some more west coast connections via STL.

Flyguy

So CLT has 2 gates? On the city fact sheet it says 1 but on their city information page it says 2. So that is confusing.

Anyways, I agree about SLC/CLT. I can't really see them adding more West Coast after adding SMF,SJC though. I think any adds will be east of STL. PIT I also think has to go 2x daily but I am focusing more on new stations than frequency. We will see what happens!

wnflyguy

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Flyguy

So CLT has 2 gates? On the city fact sheet it says 1 but on their city information page it says 2. So that is confusing.

Anyways, I agree about SLC/CLT. I can't really see them adding more West Coast after adding SMF,SJC though. I think any adds will be east of STL. PIT I also think has to go 2x daily but I am focusing more on new stations than frequency. We will see what happens!

WN mainly only uses One of its 2 gates for Daily Turns due to low flight activity. The 2nd gate is for Orig/RON parking and for IOPS.

Flyguy

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Winner of local concept restaurant announced.

Three Kings Public House

Opens late spring by E33. Rendering included.

https://www.flystl.com/newsroom/stl-new ... terminal-2

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:17 pm

No big adds today for STL. PNS and CHS are back. I think this should get the airport over 115 a day though. We were at 114 before this update. We added 1x CHS, BOS, DCA. Down a PHX and RSW. (from the last update) We were at 110 last summer. Depends on how all the frequencies work out.

jnev3289

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Heh... PNS Heh...

stlgph

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:33 pm

While Southwest is small there, I could see St. Louis - Norfolk added at some point.

If Cancun does well, perhaps other Caribbean destinations may follow. My first guess would be Montego Bay.

stl07

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Barcelona added on WOW

jubguy3

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 pm

stl07 wrote:
Barcelona added on WOW

Do you have a link to a press release or statement?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Barcelona added on WOW

They have already had WOW. I think he was just referring to the updated the schedule so now you can book STL-KEF-Barcelona. You weren't able to before.

jubguy3

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:42 am

Jshank83 wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Barcelona added on WOW

They have already had WOW. I think he was just referring to the updated the schedule so now you can book STL-KEF-Barcelona. You weren't able to before.

Oh that's dumb. By extension I guess SLC has service to Dhaka, Bangladesh on KLM. Believe it or not you can get almost anywhere from any airport in the world if you're willing to take enough flights.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Decatur-STL service is switching to Cape Air from Air Choice One.

I also saw this today. The 2 pasta houses in the airport are now Priority Pass Restaurants.

"Well, Priority Pass has just announced their newest location in the US. Specifically. St. Louis Airport is getting two Priority Pass restaurants — The Pasta House in Terminal 1, and The Pasta House and Schlafly Beer in Terminal 2. At both locations, Priority Pass members can spend up to $28 each (so if you’re traveling with two others, $84 will be taken off your final tab)."

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... estaurant/

stl07

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

Oh that's dumb. By extension I guess SLC has service to Dhaka, Bangladesh on KLM. Believe it or not you can get almost anywhere from any airport in the world if you're willing to take enough flights.

Many people were concerned that the connections out of STL at KEF were not plentiful enough thats why I posted that.

stl07

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Thankfully we didn't lose that route to Skywest too. Will people be able to connect to AA and get miles like they can at STL. Im pretty sure the agreement only applied at STL.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:52 am

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Thankfully we didn't lose that route to Skywest too. Will people be able to connect to AA and get miles like they can at STL. Im pretty sure the agreement only applied at STL.

I am pretty sure it is in STL and ORD.

Cape Air has ticketing and baggage agreements with the following Airlines:

American Airlines
Delta Airlines
JetBlue Airways
United Airlines
Alaska Airlines
Seaborne Airlines

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 am

I updated my Departure Spreadsheet for the last time of the year. It gets a little crazy around the holidays so I won't update it again until mid January.

Weekly Departure Changes from my October sheet. Keep in mind this doesn't take into account plane size/seats just flights.
American - (-14)
Delta - no change
United - +1
Frontier - (-5)
Southwest - +9
Allegiant - (-2)
Alaska - (-7)

Total STL only (-16)

A few notes:
I added plane type notes to the legacy airlines starting on this one.
I tried to use the numbers for AA,UA, and Delta that made the most sense over the next 2 months. It varies for holidays. Southwest also varies, but not as much.
Delta is all mainline from MSP, ATL, SLC. ATL being all mainline is normal but the other two aren't. MSP goes to all RJs except 1 daily flight in January so that seems weird. SLC goes back to its normal 1 mainline and 1 RJ in January.
Seattle is only 1x daily most of the time now into spring on Alaska. They still do run it 2x around the holiday weeks but once you get into January it is 1x until mid March (same week PDX is supposed to return). This probably is subject to change (as in last longer). Might be more issues stemming from pilot shortages. Usually it just went down to 1 RJ and 1 mainline. They might not have the RJ available at the moment.
Alaska is ending Portland at the end of the month. It picks back up again in March. This one is for sure pilot shortage related.
Alaska to San Diego starts next month.
Cancun on Southwest starts next weekend.
Southwest has a handful of Saturdays over the next two months that it isn't running the Seattle flight.
Southwest is running a second daily to SFO a few days around the holidays. It leaves STL at 11 pm and arrives at SFO after 1 am. Odd timing, probably related to plane shortages and fitting in the routes when they can. 11 pm is about the latest departure I have seen from them here though.
Southwest is running a nonstop to Orange County, CA some of the Saturdays over the next two months plus some other days around Christmas. 8 days total.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

stl07

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I updated my Departure Spreadsheet for the last time of the year. It gets a little crazy around the holidays so I won't update it again until mid January.

Weekly Departure Changes from my October sheet. Keep in mind this doesn't take into account plane size/seats just flights.
American - (-14)
Delta - no change
United - +1
Frontier - (-5)
Southwest - +9
Allegiant - (-2)
Alaska - (-7)

Total STL only (-16)

A few notes:
I tried to use the numbers for AA,UA, and Delta that made the most sense over the next 2 months. It varies for holidays. Southwest also varies, but not as much.
Delta is all mainline from MSP, ATL, SLC. ATL being all mainline is normal but the other two aren't. MSP goes to all RJs except 1 daily flight in January so that seems weird. SLC goes back to its normal 1 mainline and 1 RJ in January.
Seattle is only 1x daily most of the time now into spring on Alaska. They still do run it 2x around the holiday weeks but once you get into January it is 1x until mid March (same week PDX is supposed to return). This probably is subject to change (as in last longer). Might be more issues stemming from pilot shortages. Usually it just went down to 1 RJ and 1 mainline. They might not have the RJ available at the moment.
Alaska is ending Portland at the end of the month. It picks back up again in March. This one is for sure pilot shortage related.
Southwest has a handful of Saturdays over the next two months that it isn't running the Seattle flight.
Southwest is running a second daily to SFO a few days around the holidays. It leaves STL at 11 pm and arrives at SFO after 1 am. Odd timing, probably related to plane shortages and fitting in the routes when they can. 11 pm is about the latest departure I have seen from them here though.
Southwest is running a nonstop to Orange County, CA some of the Saturdays over the next two months plus some other days around Christmas. 8 days total.

AA-14 !!!! Are these just seasonal cuts/RJ to mainline or real cuts?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:44 am

September Numbers are out.

Not great
up 0.8% on the month
up 5.7% on the year
Passenger Aircraft departures were up 8.6% though

I know some other airports had some of their first negative months in a long time in September. I am assuming the hurricanes had an influence on the numbers.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 7_ATAS.pdf

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:58 am

stl07 wrote:
AA-14 !!!! Are these just seasonal cuts/RJ to mainline or real cuts?

I am guessing seasonal but I don't keep numbers back a year yet. Also it was hard to figure out a count to use because of the holidays. I just tried to figure out the best I could the base number of flights. I don't think there was a big change in mainline/RJ (again I didn't keep track the previous month) but DFW/ORD/LAX/PHX/CLT/MIA all skew mainline. LGA/DCA/PHL usually are all RJ. PHL was down a flight every day but Sunday so that was almost half of it. CLT/DFW were each down one on Mon/Tues. LAX was down one on Tues. I went back though the schedule and put another flight down on LAX for Wednesday. It was only one week it was down a Wednesday flight it looks like.

Either way, I think these are probably seasonal shifts. Traffic takes a pretty good dip in winter.

TWA302

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

American - (-14)
Delta - no change
United - +1
Frontier - (-5)
Southwest - +9
Allegiant - (-2)
Alaska - (-7)

Total STL only (-16)

A few notes:

Thanks for compiling all of this. Pretty interesting. Also the 9K frequencies are higher that I though, especially to MWA.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:32 pm

TWA302 wrote:

Thanks for compiling all of this. Pretty interesting. Also the 9K frequencies are higher that I though, especially to MWA.

No problem. I started making a monthly load factor one for every city pair/airline with STL but it is going to be a little while. It will take some time to do them all and I haven't been all that motivated to work on it lately. I'll probably put it up once I get through half or so.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:01 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... round.html

Locked article on retail at the airport. Just curious if it says anything of note. Thanks.

I also noticed that on my phone it also shows a picture caption that says "Rhonda said more international flights will be added over the next year"

Not sure if that means what has been announced or more announcements to come. I am hoping at some point they unlock the article or stltoday does a report or something.

Midwestindy

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2017/11/07/retail-upgrades-underscore-lamberts-turnaround.html

Locked article on retail at the airport. Just curious if it says anything of note. Thanks.

I also noticed that on my phone it also shows a picture caption that says "Rhonda said more international flights will be added over the next year"

Not sure if that means what has been announced or more announcements to come. I am hoping at some point they unlock the article or stltoday does a report or something.

Here is the transcript

"When Southwest Airlines starts its new non-stop service from St. Louis to Cancun, Mexico, on Saturday, it'll be the latest in a string of improvements that St. Louis Lambert International Airport is doing "inch by inch" to take the airport to the next level, according to Director Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge.

Since the closing of the TWA hub in 2003 and the recession, Lambert has suffered from declining traffic and poor traveler perceptions. It consistently ranks low on consumer lists, such as the J.D. Power North America Airport Satisfaction Study where Lambert came in at 17 out of 21 large U.S. airports this year.

"We continue to ask our customers what they want, what makes sense and try to meet those demands," Hamm-Niebruegge told the Business Journal.

Among those demands — which Lambert culls from surveys, social media and personal interactions with travelers — were hour-long free Wi-Fi that the airport added last month, a new lounge that will open in Terminal 2 next month, and more dining options. Lambert announced last week that Three Kings Public House will open in Terminal 2 in the spring for an eight-year contract worth at least $2.03 million.

Those follow a second Vino Volo wine bar and Sweet Indulgences candy store that opened earlier this year, approval of ride-sharing apps like Uber and Lyft, more flight service to the entire San Francisco Bay Area from Southwest, and the announcement that Wow Air would begin nonstop service to Iceland.

"That has helped a lot in terms of people’s perceptions of (Lambert's) value and asset to the region," Hamm-Niebruegge said. "We take it inch by inch to get to the next level."

More international flights — a lack of which has long been a complaint of travelers — also is on the horizon over the next 12-18 months, she added.

Lambert is guaranteed set revenue, called minimum annual guarantee, from its retail and concessions shops and receives a percentage of revenue that exceeds the minimum annual guarantee. In 2013, a new retail contract went into effect with the Hudson Group, with the airport set to earn $41 million over 10 years. In the last three years of the contract with its previous retail operator, Atlanta-based The Paradies Shops, Lambert received $5.5 million in retail revenue, officials said at the time. Lambert's new contract with Hudson guaranteed it $13 million in the first three years.

Revenue from terminal concessions at U.S. airports totaled $1.9 billion in 2015, up from $1.8 billion the year before, according to the Airports Council International, citing Federal Aviation Administration data. The Airports Council International found in its concessions study that food and retail were the fastest growing segments of non-aeronautical revenue for U.S. airports.

There are other signs that Lambert is rebounding from the recession and the TWA hub shutdown. Lambert saw a 7.7 percent rise in the number of passengers in fiscal year 2017, ended June 30, to 14.4 million passengers. For the first six months of 2017, total aircraft departures increased 7.8 percent with 45,450 take-offs.

Though J.D. Power ranked it 17th among 21 large U.S. airports, Lambert's overall performance improved to "about average" from "the rest." Lambert also improved its ranking in airport accessibility, security checks, terminal facilities and baggage claim to "about average." In addition, Fitch upgraded its bond rating of Lambert from BBB+ to A-, revising the rating outlook from "stable" to "positive." Fitch attributed the airport's stable financial metrics and limited competition, among other segments for its rating."

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2017/11/07/retail-upgrades-underscore-lamberts-turnaround.html

Here is the transcript

Thank you!

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Meeting minutes for September and October have been uploaded. Some notes

September
https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... inutes.pdf

Airport incentive program. 1.6 mil a year for the next 3 years. 4.8 mil total
Capital project improments were approved. This looks like it will be for redoing taxiways/roads and getting new equipment. Should go towards opening more of C concourse also.
Free Wifi goes to an hour

97% of the 7.2% increase in passengers in July was connecting. I had no clue connecting was that much of our growth at this point. Still good to see O&D going up also though.

STL is the 4th fastest growing Soutwest station in terms of flights.

The new Starbucks and Common use club will open in November.

October

Air Canada is going to take over A17 as its own gate. It had been a per turn gate. They will be moving the the jetbridge from A9 to A17 because they liked that jet bridge better. AC is paying for them to switch them. I am assuming they will move the one at A17 to A9 then, and just swap them?

stl07

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Meeting minutes for September and October have been uploaded. Some notes

September

Airport incentive program. 1.6 mil a year for the next 3 years. 4.8 mil total
Capital project improments were approved. This looks like it will be for redoing taxiways/roads and getting new equipment. Should go towards opening more of C concourse also.
Free Wifi goes to an hour

97% of the 7.2% increase in passengers in July was connecting. I had no clue connecting was that much of our growth at this point. Still good to see O&D going up also though.

STL is the 4th fastest growing Soutwest station in terms of flights.

The new Starbucks and Common use club will open in November.

October

Air Canada is going to take over A17 as its own gate. It had been a per turn gate. They will be moving the the jetbridge from A9 to A17 because they liked that jet bridge better. AC is paying for them to switch them. I am assuming they will move the one at A17 to A9 then, and just swap them?

What was the Mexican ambassador thing related to?

stlgph

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:47 am

Free wifi goes to an hour. Wow, it's like 1996 AOL all over again.

stl07

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 am

stlgph wrote:

You are forgetting this is STL airport. ;) An hour is very impressive for STL considering this is the same airport that called "renovations" retiling and fixing ceilings and lights while other airports added food halls, shopping areas, innovative experiences like VR and touchscreen games and updated look/ architecture to the 21st century. This is the same airport that waits until people complain about lack of international flights or wifi or airline clubs ect. to change things. We don't innovate for a better user experience, we wait and then try to catch up when passengers complain about better experiences in other cities. However, on a positive note, we do innovate when it comes to functionality and airline business such as the dual customs hub as well as beehive and cattle transport, which I guess is more important than a customers impression of an airport.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 am

stl07 wrote:

I didn't see a mexican ambassador thing? Which one is it in?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:45 am

stl07 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

You are forgetting this is STL airport. ;) An hour is very impressive for STL considering this is the same airport that called "renovations" retiling and fixing ceilings and lights while other airports added food halls, shopping areas, innovative experiences like VR and touchscreen games and updated look/ architecture to the 21st century. This is the same airport that waits until people complain about lack of international flights or wifi or airline clubs ect. to change things. We don't innovate for a better user experience, we wait and then try to catch up when passengers complain about better experiences in other cities. However, on a positive note, we do innovate when it comes to functionality and airline business such as the dual customs hub as well as beehive and cattle transport, which I guess is more important than a customers impression of an airport.

Better late than never? They definitely are playing catch up. I don't think they anticipated WN's growth over the last couple years. Once they get the club and new restaurants open that should help things. Hopefully they are already planning to add more in the old D section they are using now. I think getting Three Kings to sign on was a really good move.

knope2001

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:51 am

Jshank83 wrote:
September Numbers are out.

Not great
up 0.8% on the month
up 5.7% on the year
Passenger Aircraft departures were up 8.6% though

I know some other airports had some of their first negative months in a long time in September. I am assuming the hurricanes had an influence on the numbers.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 7_ATAS.pdf

I've yet to figure out why but September seemed to be unexpectedly crappy at several airports. I'm all ears if anyone has an explanation!

flyPIT

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:23 am

knope2001 wrote:
I've yet to figure out why but September seemed to be unexpectedly crappy at several airports. I'm all ears if anyone has an explanation!

Hurricanes and their aftermath in TX and FL.

stl07

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:26 am

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I didn't see a Mexican ambassador thing? Which one is it in?

October at the very end

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:09 am

flyPIT wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

Yep. I agree with this.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:12 am

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

October at the very end

Ohhh. It is cargo related. I think there is a new article on in somewhere. They are setting up dual customs so they can do some kind of trade with Mexico and be the a stopover on trade stuff between Mexico and Asia I think. I don't know if I have that 100% correct, but it is something like that.

EDIT: Here is one article on it. It is a couple years old but the project stalled and just picked back up again recently. They got awarded some money out of the pool that Trump gave to different airport projects.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... d07eb.html

knope2001

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm

flyPIT wrote:
knope2001 wrote:

Dang, how quickly I forget! Better than any other suggestion anyone has made.

stl07

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

October at the very end

Ohhh. It is cargo related. I think there is a new article on in somewhere. They are setting up dual customs so they can do some kind of trade with Mexico and be the a stopover on trade stuff between Mexico and Asia I think. I don't know if I have that 100% correct, but it is something like that.

EDIT: Here is one article on it. It is a couple years old but the project stalled and just picked back up again recently. They got awarded some money out of the pool that Trump gave to different airport projects.

Do you have a source for a source for the Trump grant? Thanks for updating wiki btw (if that was you)

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm

http://www.kmov.com/story/36816120/sout ... -to-cancun

Southwest is throwing a party for the new Cancun flight tomorrow. I am going to be on it so I will take pics and post them if there is anything interesting.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 pm

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
October at the very end

Do you have a source for a source for the Trump grant? Thanks for updating wiki btw (if that was you)

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 91373.html

And yes, it was me.

stl07

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:46 am

Jshank83 wrote:
http://www.kmov.com/story/36816120/southwest-airlines-begins-weekly-flights-from-st-louis-to-cancun

Southwest is throwing a party for the new Cancun flight tomorrow. I am going to be on it so I will take pics and post them if there is anything interesting.
Have fun!
Are you going early for the festivities?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:23 am

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
http://www.kmov.com/story/36816120/southwest-airlines-begins-weekly-flights-from-st-louis-to-cancun

Have fun!
Are you going early for the festivities?

I'll probably get there 20 or 30 minutes after they start. Hopefully I catch the tail end of them.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:47 pm

At the Cancun event a guy spoke who was the Vice President of something for Southwest. He said we will be up to 120 departures in summer but I have only counted 115. Not sure if that means more announcements are coming still?

stl07

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:36 am

Jshank83 wrote:
At the Cancun event a guy spoke who was the Vice President of something for Southwest. He said we will be up to 120 departures in summer but I have only counted 115. Not sure if that means more announcements are coming still?

Did you count in the Saturdays where some routes increase frequencies/only operate on sat

Jshank83
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Did you count in the Saturdays where some routes increase frequencies/only operate on sat

Saturday is lower than the rest of the week. There are only 2 Saturday only flights anyways. So it would have to be Monday-Friday.

LambertMan

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

I was wondering this myself. Guaranteed he knows what the current level of service is and I find it unlikely he decided to "round up" by five flights.

There are still some opportunities on the east coast - including CLT, BDL, and JAX. Aside from frequency increases I'm not sure there's much left on the west coast. Maybe ABQ or the return of SNA, but I'm not sure what the slot status is.

Regardless WN's commitment to STL is something we should all be very, very thankful for. The level of air service in our community is largely attributable to them. On the flip side, judging by that average yield spreadsheet, it appears to be mutually beneficial for WN.

atrude777

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm

LambertMan wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

I was wondering this myself. Guaranteed he knows what the current level of service is and I find it unlikely he decided to "round up" by five flights.

There are still some opportunities on the east coast - including CLT, BDL, and JAX. Aside from frequency increases I'm not sure there's much left on the west coast. Maybe ABQ or the return of SNA, but I'm not sure what the slot status is.

Regardless WN's commitment to STL is something we should all be very, very thankful for. The level of air service in our community is largely attributable to them. On the flip side, judging by that average yield spreadsheet, it appears to be mutually beneficial for WN.

Absolutely! I chuckled seeing the party at STL for Southwest's service to CUN, thinking boy have we gone downhill since those TWA Days.

However, I am grateful for Southwest continuing to add more and more to STL. Whether it's credited by changing flow from MDW to STL, or good OD, or as pointed out good yield, it's appreciated!

Alex

jplatts

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:11 pm

LambertMan wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Southwest currently only has 1 daily nonstop in each direction to SEA, PDX, and OAK from STL, and Southwest could add extra nonstops from STL to SEA, PDX, and OAK in order to make it easier to connect to destinations further east through STL.

Southwest has previously served GRR, IND, SDF, and BHM nonstop from STL in the past, and could bring back nonstop service to these destinations from STL if the demand is there for nonstop service to these destinations from STL.

In addition to CLT, BDL, and JAX, Southwest could also add nonstop service from STL to CVG, RIC, and ORF and Southwest could also add an additional STL-PIT nonstop.

stlgph

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 am

Let's get to the point. Southwest could add service to *anywhere*. They could squeeze in another 2, maybe 3 banks of full gates if they make scheduling tight.
I'd be curious to corner someone and ask them what the 10+ year plan is.

mciguy67

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:30 am

I don't think SWA will add any more from STL given they will probably move to KCI. St Louis airport is now the worst major airport so no sense in seeing SWA staying.

Midwestindy

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:06 am

mciguy67 wrote:
I don't think SWA will add any more from STL given they will probably move to KCI. St Louis airport is now the worst major airport so no sense in seeing SWA staying.

That's not how aviation works my friend. Using that logic airlines would never fly to airports like LGA, ORD, EWR, e.t.c but they still do......

Airlines care much more about demand, CPE, O&D, gate space, and yield then about what the airport looks like....

Nevertheless, here is an interesting article about the whole dynamic at play here: http://crankyflier.com/2017/11/09/with- ... nsas-city/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos