Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cvgComair

Re: The Rest Of Ohio Part 6

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:01 am

B4REAL wrote:
Concourse A being out of gates is not really a big deal if you ask me. The airlines need to use them more efficiently, maybe go common use. Plenty of other airports due more movements with fewer gates. Did they ever actually demolish the C gates? Even if only just one "pier" of gates, would be a nice option in a situation like this...

C is not demolished, however the Concourse is very inconvenient for passengers and airlines. Since there is not an airline only operating regional aircraft, they said airline would have to split operations between A and C, plus they would need buses to shuttle passengers since the tunnel does not connect to the concourse. At that point, remote gates would be easier, plus C needs extensive work with mold/structural problems as it has not been maintained since Delta closed it.

Of course the airlines could use the gates more efficiently, but Concourse A really does not have that many gates to begin with for every carrier besides Delta. Allegiant, American, Apple Vacations, Frontier, OneJet, Southwest, and United all share 18 (soon to be 21 that can actually be used at the same time) gates in Concourse A, which is pretty comparable to other airports, as carriers at smaller airports like CVG want to depart at optimal times, otherwise they probably would not offer as many flights. Airports with higher demand like JFK/ORD/DCA can get away with higher gate utilization, scheduling flights at off-peak times, however CVG cannot, especially with Delta's dominance in the market. CVG needs every flight it can get, and since Delta essentially owns Concourse B, the other airlines cannot spread out into it. This leaves expanding Concourse A as really the only option, as there are no open gates at peak departure hours for new airlines like Spirit/Jetblue or current carriers to add flights. Having to purposely schedule flights at odd times is not a very attractive situation when you are trying to get new flights, especially since many carriers are already nervous about Delta.

AirportRival

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 am

B4REAL wrote:
Concourse A being out of gates is not really a big deal if you ask me. The airlines need to use them more efficiently, maybe go common use. Plenty of other airports due more movements with fewer gates. Did they ever actually demolish the C gates? Even if only just one "pier" of gates, would be a nice option in a situation like this...

People on here throw out the "common use gates" idea like it's some kind of magical answer to every problem airports face. What airport actually has common use gates where airlines are freely using any available gate? I ask because I would actually like to see how it works. As a Ramp Supervisor for a ground handling company I'm curious as to how the logistics would work out.

doulasc

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 am

whats this new airline I am hearing about Ultimate Air Shuttle that will fly from Cleveland Burke Lakefront to Atlanta DeKalb-peachtree Airport and stops at Cincinnati Lunken field on the way.

masseybrown

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:23 am

doulasc wrote:
whats this new airline I am hearing about Ultimate Air Shuttle that will fly from Cleveland Burke Lakefront to Atlanta DeKalb-peachtree Airport and stops at Cincinnati Lunken field on the way.

It's not new. It's been flying 30-passenger Dornier 328J's out of LUK for a couple of years as public charters to MDW, MMU, CLT, and BKL. Last week they added BKL-MMU.

AirportRival

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Fox 19 had an article on their website recently talking about the changes coming to CVG in preparation for Southwest. Nothing that hasn't been talked about on here except there was a statement at the end that mentioned that the airport will be making another big announcement next week. I haven't heard anything around work so I have no idea what it could be.

msycajun

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:25 pm

I think NK could be starting CVG as well. They have a lot of planes coming in and just announced BDL.

Would be cool to see a DL expansion though. Maybe finally starting LHR. And of course I'd personally like to see CVG-MSY.

cvgComair

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:58 am

Really exciting diagram provided by Fox, it appears A2 will face out towards the rest. Also, it does not show gates A20/23, A20 does not fit anyway, I think they could make A23 work with some shifting around, though. According to Fox, construction has already started on the new gates. I was looking at old scenery, both gate A20/23 were used in the 90's, but there is no way that A18-23 could have had anything larger than a DC-9/717 at the same time. It appears A20/23 were originally removed so that A22 could handle a 757/767 sized aircraft.

I am thinking we could see another carrier announced such as B6 or NK, especially since they are rushing to get 4 gates done, even though WN is only taking 2. Though its entirely possible that CVG already knows that WN plans to announce more flights in the subsequent flight schedule extensions. NK adding BDL does look promising, but I think G4's strength at CVG is a very big issue for NK, which relies on the exact same passenger type. I personally really want B6, being exclusively SkyTeam and thus DL loyal, I think I would consider flying B6 to Boston.

As you can tell, I really want it to be a Delta expansion and I think its entirely possible. I would suspect DL to LHR would be big enough for its own announcement, but if it really is DL, I would expect a handful of the following cities: MSY, AUS, JAX, SAN, PDX, PHX (Spring Break Seasonal) and/or JAX, with GRR, PIT, RIC, and/or MSN possible depending on the fleet/pilot situation. I was also thinking about DL potentially adding MDW/IAD/MIA back for competitive reasons, or CLE to go after Ultimate Air Shuttle, but I think these are stretches. If they are actually committed to adding LHR, chances are they are committed to CVG long-term (hopefully that means more flights).
Last edited by cvgComair on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

msycajun

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:11 am

cvgComair wrote:
I am thinking we could see another carrier announced such as B6 or NK, especially since they are rushing to get 4 gates done, even though WN is only taking 2. Though its entirely possible that CVG already knows that WN plans to announce more flights in the subsequent flight schedule extensions. NK adding BDL does look promising, but I think G4's strength at CVG is a very big issue for NK, which relies on the exact same passenger type. I personally really want B6, being exclusively SkyTeam and thus DL loyal, I think I would consider flying B6 to Boston.

As you can tell, I really want it to be a Delta expansion and I think its entirely possible. I would suspect DL to LHR would be big enough for its own announcement, but if it really is DL, I would expect a handful of the following cities: MSY, AUS, JAX, SAN, PDX, PHX (Spring Break Seasonal) and/or JAX, with GRR, PIT, RIC, and/or MSN possible depending on the fleet/pilot situation. I was also thinking about DL potentially adding MDW/IAD/MIA back for competitive reasons, or CLE to go after Ultimate Air Shuttle, but I think these are stretches. If they are actually committed to adding LHR, chances are they are committed to CVG long-term (hopefully that means more flights).

I agree about DL. I could also see AS add SEA.

Regarding NK, I don't see G4 as a threat. Let's say each has an identical offering, same price. I think smart fliers would choose NK over G4 because NK offers more daily service and has somewhat of a network. If G4 cancels, you could be stranded for several days. NK at least has the ability to route you through another airport or at least get you close. NK would also have the ability to bolster its flights with connections.

cvgComair

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:21 am

msycajun wrote:
I agree about DL. I could also see AS add SEA.

Regarding NK, I don't see G4 as a threat. Let's say each has an identical offering, same price. I think smart fliers would choose NK over G4 because NK offers more daily service and has somewhat of a network. If G4 cancels, you could be stranded for several days. NK at least has the ability to route you through another airport or at least get you close. NK would also have the ability to bolster its flights with connections.

AS would be nice as well, I was also thinking about them making a deal with Kroger for a PDX flight.

I wonder what the viability of G4 will be long-term at CVG. Its been an oddly long amount of time since the most recent route expansion (CVG was left out of the most recent one). They still have a huge network at CVG and I do not expect any elimination of flights, but I am skeptical that they will continue the rapid expansion that we have seen. While I think flights to SAN/LAX or another east coast city are a possibility, I think G4 is close to maxed out at CVG. They have done some interesting things though, I never would have though CVG could sustain 5x/week to VPS, so who knows what they could try next.

AirportRival

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:41 am

Interesting that they don't have A23 showing as a gate. I know an A320 can fit there with both A22 and A21 occupied by A320/321's. I'm also not sure that Allegiant is done expanding at CVG. I think they could just be doing some research on new routes and analyzing their existing ones. Allegiant has taken some chances in CVG that I'm not sure any other carrier would have taken.

If Spirit does come in they are going to be playing catch up. Both Allegiant and Frontier have developed a following at CVG and Frontier flies to everywhere that Spirit would fly to except maybe MYR.

If I had it my way I would hope for Alaska, jetBlue, or a Delta expansion. I can live without Spirit at CVG but if they do end up coming then great. More carriers and planes to spot for me.

NoTime

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:03 pm

John Glenn airport recorded second-busiest year in '16 - http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170124/j ... 16?start=2

If the airport seemed busier the last time you flew from Columbus, you're right: John Glenn Columbus International Airport recorded its second-busiest year ever last year, serving 7.3 million passengers. That was a 7.8 percent increase over 2015.

And that may just be the beginning. Elaine Roberts, CEO of the Columbus Regional Airport Authority, told the board of Experience Columbus last week that 2017 is expected to become the busiest in the airport's history as activity overall continues to increase.

flyguy89

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 am

cvgComair wrote:
B4REAL wrote:

C is not demolished, however the Concourse is very inconvenient for passengers and airlines.

Concourse C really is no longer operations-worthy, it was far too customized for OH and regional aircraft to have a second life unfortunately. Concourse A however looks to be in great shape for a couple decades at least, and is very much expandable, so I think all-in-all CVG is in a good position to inexpensively scale if they need gates. The main terminal check-in area is getting pretty crowded and tight on counter space though.

AirportRival wrote:
Fox 19 had an article on their website recently talking about the changes coming to CVG in preparation for Southwest. Nothing that hasn't been talked about on here except there was a statement at the end that mentioned that the airport will be making another big announcement next week. I haven't heard anything around work so I have no idea what it could be.

Hmm, interesting. Do you know if they specifically said an "air service" announcement? Hard to get excited when it could be something as simple as more airport property warehouse development.

cvgComair wrote:
I am thinking we could see another carrier announced such as B6 or NK

B6 would be totally doable. CVG-BOS is a large monopoly market ripe for the picking and, while CVG-FLL is fairly crowded, I think they could make it work with their onward connections. Their CLE launch demonstrated IMO that they're comfortable launching with a small, conservative operation, which is what they'd need to do at CVG. NK would have a tough go of it between F9 and G4...but if they're willing to fight it out, anything is possible.

cvgComair wrote:

That would really be great, especially CVG-LHR...DL is the most logical choice for launching that route and I hope the community is working to secure it like they did WN. I won't hold my breath though as they could just as easily throw some extra frequencies at JFK or ATL.

cvgComair

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:12 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
Concourse C really is no longer operations-worthy, it was far too customized for OH and regional aircraft to have a second life unfortunately. Concourse A however looks to be in great shape for a couple decades at least, and is very much expandable, so I think all-in-all CVG is in a good position to inexpensively scale if they need gates. The main terminal check-in area is getting pretty crowded and tight on counter space though.

Since the rental car area will connect to Terminal 3 through the door previously used to connect Terminal 2, I wonder if they will push out that side of the terminal to make more check-in counters. Even the existing carriers are squeezed in their very tight, let alone with WN now joining them. DL's lease on its side expires next year, but I expect them to hang on to the whole left side. They are going to need more check in space though, as stated in articles, CVG is seeing more people than they ever have coming through the front doors, and the previous stats where when operations were spread between three terminal and three different security checkpoints.

I wonder what the maximum capacity of the baggage/security check points is, especially with CVG predicting over 9,000,000 passengers a year by 2021, the security wait times have been getting quite long recently. I know that they do not use the far left side of the checkpoint very often (if ever, I have ersonally never seen it in use), but I have to wonder if they need to start using it soon!

B4REAL

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:09 am

That's a good point @cvgComair about the people coming thru the single security point (and also baggage claim). I've flown thru a few times over the last years, and never felt the ground experience at CVG to be crowded, by any stretch. But let's see what WN does to it.

B4REAL

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:10 am

I think the dark horse here is an "invisible inventory" of passengers who usually fly out of DAY but will go back to CVG due to A) WN service and B) potentially a non-stop with DL/F9/G4. I think this may also cramp parking too.

cvgComair

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:38 am

Super cool video of gates A3/5 that are being renovated for Southwest, they still have the old Delta counters! I had no clue they just covered them up! https://twitter.com/FOX19Robert/status/ ... 0263881728

B4REAL wrote:
I think the dark horse here is an "invisible inventory" of passengers who usually fly out of DAY but will go back to CVG due to A) WN service and B) potentially a non-stop with DL/F9/G4. I think this may also cramp parking too.

I believe both the short and long term lots are due to be expanded soon. They resurfaced and reopened the back part of the long term lot last year and it already reaches full capacity during peak travel periods. (Winter/Spring/Summer Break, Memorial/Labor Day, Thanksgiving, ect.)

AirportRival

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:13 am

cvgComair wrote:
Super cool video of gates A3/5 that are being renovated for Southwest, they still have the old Delta counters! I had no clue they just covered them up! https://twitter.com/FOX19Robert/status/ ... 0263881728

B4REAL wrote:

I believe both the short and long term lots are due to be expanded soon. They resurfaced and reopened the back part of the long term lot last year and it already reaches full capacity during peak travel periods. (Winter/Spring/Summer Break, Memorial/Labor Day, Thanksgiving, ect.)

Ha! I just took a picture of that area last night that I was gonna share with you guys but looks like he beat me to it and was better with the video.

cvgComair

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:16 am

DL at CVG Updates:

It looks like DL is switching one of the frequencies from MKE to ORD, giving MKE 1x/day and ORD 5x/day. Also a frequency to BNA is being removed and going to MCI, which was scheduled to be reduced to 1x/day. Also, MEM will go down to 1x/day as well, but I cannot see where the plane is going instead. I am guessing that these changes allowed for the removal of another CRJ-200. I know they are retiring a bunch by the end of this year, so this is not just at CVG. These changes take effect the first week of May.

Delta is will have up to 2 mainline flights on CVG-DCA (A320/MD80), with the other two frequencies keeping CRJ-900's this spring.

Also, DL has extended its CVG-SEA route until November 29, it is looking more and more likely that the route is going back to year-round. CVG-LAS, SFO, and CDG are now also scheduled daily for the whole summer/fall/winter timeframe through December, all three lost significant frequency last Fall.

cvgComair

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:17 pm

From OAG, appears the MEM flight is going to IAH:

A little CVG reshuffle. Net -1.
DL CVG-ATL MAY 7>8
DL CVG-BNA MAY 1.5>0.7 JUN 1.6>0.8 JUL 1.3>0.7 AUG 1.6>0.8 SEP 1.5>0.7 OCT 1.5>0.8
DL CVG-IAH MAY 0.8>1.5 JUN 0.9>1.6 JUL 0.7>1.4 AUG 0.9>1.6 SEP 0.8>1.5 OCT 0.9>1.6
DL CVG-MCO OCT 2>1.4
DL CVG-MKE JUN 1.4>0.9 JUL 1.3>0.7 AUG 1.6>0.9 SEP 1.5>0.8 OCT 1.5>0.8
DL CVG-ORD JUN 4>5 JUL 3>4 AUG 4>5 OCT 4>5
DL MEM-CVG MAY 1.5>0.7 JUN 1.6>0.8 JUL 1.3>0.7 AUG 1.6>0.9 SEP 1.5>0.8 OCT 1.5>0.8

cvgComair

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I just did the math, these changes and other up-gauges will push CVG from 7,156 this February to 7,686 seats per weekday this Summer, thats a 7.4% increase in seat capacity! It includes the addition if the SEA flight, so subtracting that, its still a 5% increase year-over-year. Thats pretty good for DL, since its increases in capacity over the last few years has hovered around 1-2%.

This is pure speculation, if it were DL adding flights this Thursday (presuming its even a DL announcement), many of the suggested routes would be on CRJ2/7/9's. I find it odd that BNA would go from 2x/day (1) CR9 and (1) CRJ, to 1x/day (1) CRJ so suddenly. The other changes to MEM and MKE are similarly odd, while IAH/ORD/MCI see significant adds. IAH has been 1x/day CRJ900 for many years, an increase to 2x/day is a very sudden change as well. My first though was that DL could be shuffling planes around for a theoretical addition this Thursday. For instance, adding routes to GRR could look something like: BNA-CVG-GRR-CVG-BNA-CVG-GRR-CVG-BNA, using these down sized cites to fill gaps in the schedule. Further, using BNA as an example again, BNA-CVG is scheduled at 6 am, and the return CVG-BNA is at 7 pm, giving all day for the aircraft to fly around from CVG.

Again this is pure speculation and probably 100% wrong, but I just wanted to share it since I have been thinking about it.

cvgComair

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:50 pm

See this doc for a better explanation of my reasoning above:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZN ... sp=sharing

Even more, CVG is looking for bids for Restaurants in Concourse A, Airfield Taxiway Resurfacing, and Concourse Modernization. Lots of changes on the horizon for CVG!

I hate not being able to edit my posts!!! If a mod comes by, could you merge these four posts?

Shields

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:10 pm

cvgComair wrote:
DL at CVG Updates:

Delta is will have up to 2 mainline flights on CVG-DCA (A320/MD80), with the other two frequencies keeping CRJ-900's this spring.

Just curious--what date/month do you see DL with 2x/daily mainline on this route? I've done some quick searches and cannot find anything more than 1x 717 in March.
Thanks.

cvgComair

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Shields wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
DL at CVG Updates:

Just curious--what date/month do you see DL with 2x/daily mainline on this route? I've done some quick searches and cannot find anything more than 1x 717 in March.
Thanks.

I saw 2x/mainline the last two weeks of March and into April when I checked this morning, but it looks like it has since been changed to only March 19/21/22th. It was listed as an A320 and a MD-80, so it was an odd change without the 717, must have been a mistake. DL is changing its schedule so much, its hard to keep track of these things. Its unfortunate that these upgrades have been removed...

Delta also operated 2x/day on a 738 this past Dec/Jan, so maybe the 2x/day will come back at some point.

cvgComair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:25 am

It looks like Frontier is holding announcements at CVG and CLE tomorrow! Routes are not out yet, but I wonder if they might base aircraft/crew finally at the two airports. The winter storms so far this year are example why F9 needs crew stations in cities other than Denver. Since Cincinnati and Cleveland are two of the biggest cities in their system, I think they would be excellent choices to base some aircraft and crew.

I am personally hoping for CVG-SAN/PDX/SEA, maybe a east coast flight or two.

flyguy89

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:04 am

cvgComair wrote:
It looks like Frontier is holding announcements at CVG and CLE tomorrow! Routes are not out yet, but I wonder if they might base aircraft/crew finally at the two airports. The winter storms so far this year are example why F9 needs crew stations in cities other than Denver. Since Cincinnati and Cleveland are two of the biggest cities in their system, I think they would be excellent choices to base some aircraft and crew.

I am personally hoping for CVG-SAN/PDX/SEA, maybe a east coast flight or two.

All three are decent candidates, though I think SAN is probably tops. I wonder just what are the largest unserved markets from Cincinnati currently.

cvgComair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:54 am

New routes are out:
CVG-San Diego
CVG-Minneapolis
CVG-New York–LGA
Might be more, its loading really slowly.

cvgComair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:48 am

The schedule has not been expanded past 6/06, so its possible CVG could still see cities like SEA/PDX that would start in June.

AirportRival

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:56 am

Interesting adds. They aren't afraid to take Delta head on. A little side note, I had the privilege to work the last ever Shuttle America flight tonight. It came in to CVG from ORD as UA3707. I've got a a nice video. I know it's not as big as US Airways ending was but it's still cool to be a part of history.

rockyracoon

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:27 pm

cvgComair wrote:
New routes are out:
CVG-San Diego
CVG-Minneapolis
CVG-New York–LGA

Solid adds, and the sum of those three is what surprises me the most. Do you know the frequency?

Perhaps, F9 staking a claim before WN gets the chance?

cledaybuck

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 pm

rockyracoon wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
New routes are out:
CVG-San Diego
CVG-Minneapolis
CVG-New York–LGA

Solid adds, and the sum of those three is what surprises me the most. Do you know the frequency?

Perhaps, F9 staking a claim before WN gets the chance?

None of those are anything WN would try anytime soon.

flymco753

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:03 pm

I can't see how CVG/CLE-MSP makes sense, what is it that will attract flyers? Leisure? Business? Other than that San Diego is a big hit on both sides.

rockyracoon

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:12 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
None of those are anything WN would try anytime soon.

I agree with you. Farther out in time, markets like MSP, LGA, SAN, or other p2p hybrid leisure/business markets are where you'd expect WN to expand and have potential success from CVG... For now, F9 has time to grow its roots in such markets. Will F9 achieve success with these expansions? I can't pretend to know.

DeltaRules

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:55 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I can't see how CVG/CLE-MSP makes sense, what is it that will attract flyers? Leisure? Business? Other than that San Diego is a big hit on both sides.

Frontier's interesting in their seeming "This MIGHT work, so let's see how it goes and if we have to drop it, we will" strategy. CLE-RDU (or CMH-PHL) didn't seem to make much sense either and we saw how those went; CLE-RDU is now seasonal and CMH-PHL is gone.

AirportRival

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:30 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
Frontier's interesting in their seeming "This MIGHT work, so let's see how it goes and if we have to drop it, we will" strategy. CLE-RDU (or CMH-PHL) didn't seem to make much sense either and we saw how those went; CLE-RDU is now seasonal and CMH-PHL is gone.

But F9 also does CVG-PHL and has made I work with it not making sense to everybody on here. Same for G4's CVG-BWI.

phluser

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:56 pm

flymco753 wrote:

Minneapolis or Minnesota is scenic in the summer, but I don't know if it is too unknown for majority of people. Sometimes I think F9 factors in stage length very heavily. They apparently don't want to tie up too many planes going full cross country, even though the destinations on the West Coast are the best attractions in the summer.

boscmh

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:17 pm

Great news for CLE and CVG, but I would also love to see CMH get some additional routes from F9... Particularly SFO, SEA, or LGA would be welcome additions.

CMHMarc787

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

boscmh wrote:
Great news for CLE and CVG, but I would also love to see CMH get some additional routes from F9... Particularly SFO, SEA, or LGA would be welcome additions.

I'm hoping we could see some solid movement towards getting SEA and SFO from CMH...and a pseudo-race by DL, AS, and F9 to see who gets it first would be kinda fun to see (I'm easily amused).

cvgComair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Personally, if F9 is going to try MSP, I wonder if SLC is on their radar. RT fares routinely hit $600-800 from CVG on Delta. Similar to MSP, it's a really beautiful city and I think F9 could create a market for tourists.

I am still kind of surprised F9 did not go for SEA on this launch, though with DL still on CVG-SEA, it's not terribly surprising they are not making a go at it, especially since Delta is increasing its flight to year-round. I would like to see PDX eventually as well.

F9 has 59 A320neos still to join the fleet, so I think many of these routes (like CMH-SFO/LAX and CVG-SEA/PDX) could come later in the year to early next year. Since all of these routes are launching in April and they have yet to extend their schedule, I bet we see another big announcement in March for new routes in June. One of the articles I read hinted at more expansion and that Frontier "would take notice and launch routes in demand quickly." The article also says Frontier is trying to attract business passengers as well (may explain LGA and MSP):
http://wvxu.org/post/frontier-adds-thre ... g#stream/0

Here at present the frequencies for the routes announced/expanded (some were reported earlier):
Atlanta/Dallas/Houston/Philadelphia at 3-4x/wk
Los Angeles/San Francisco going daily
Las Vegas going to 11x/wk
Minneapolis/St. Paul at 4x/wk
New York at 7x/wk
San Diego at 3x/wk

AirportRival

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:18 pm

The Enquirer is breaking a story that Amazon is investing $1.5 billion to make CVG one of its operations hubs.

flyingfromcvg

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 pm

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2 ... /97283034/

Wonder how much this will affect ILN's budding Amazon Prime Air business? Is there a reason to run at both locations?

AirportRival

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:49 pm

flyingfromcvg wrote:
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2017/01/31/amazon-plans-2700-jobs-15b-investment-cvg/97283034/

Wonder how much this will affect ILN's budding Amazon Prime Air business? Is there a reason to run at both locations?

I can't imagine that they will keep ILN open. It will still be ABX's and ATI's heavy maintenance base I would imagine. Of course with both DHL and Amazon having major operations at CVG they could easily justify building a hangar at CVG now.

cvgComair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:51 pm

They are investing $1.4 billion! This is huge, 40 aircraft operating will essentially double the cargo capacity at CVG. 620 arced in size, I am not sure where you would even fit that at CVG!

AirportRival

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:00 pm

cvgComair wrote:
They are investing $1.4 billion! This is huge, 40 aircraft operating will essentially double the cargo capacity at CVG. 620 arced in size, I am not sure where you would even fit that at CVG!

The only area that I can think of is in between 18/36C and 18R/36L

Ahmad310x

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:56 pm

per http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/n ... vg.html#g2 looks like its around the DHL facility and in between the runways for future expansion

cvgComair

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Wow, it's 40 CVG based 767's with 200 daily flights, first flight this April.

phluser

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:26 am

boscmh wrote:

F9 only has so many slot pairs at LGA. It's interesting that LGA-MIA was cut (perhaps seasonally) for LGA-CVG, which I assume is seasonal. It's interesting that F9 tried LGA-CLE and it didn't work well, but I think it had to compete indirectly with low fares on WN's LGA-CAK and F9 offered LGA-CLE in the late fall rather than during summer peak. CVG is farther by drive from LGA, so LGA-CVG might perform better, however, F9 isn't be choosing a very popular destination for New Yorkers (LGA point of sale) with this addition, but it adds a route where fares are high and the stage length isn't too long (meaning not tying up a plane as much).

rockyracoon

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:13 am

CVG, what a comeback story. Great news about Amazon.

Ahmad310x wrote:
per http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/n ... vg.html#g2 looks like its around the DHL facility and in between the runways for future expansion

Maybe that newish runway (18R/36L) will finally see some healthy use :wink2:

cvgComair

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:17 am

I just updated the master plan map on Wikipedia, the planned Amazon Expansion is in Yellow, its massive compared to the terminal area and DHL hub facilities:

I would not be surprised to see CVG work on taxiway improvements around the DHL area since runway 18R/36L was used only for a few years before DL started downsizing. Currently its rarely used due to its distance from the terminal area, but Amazon could make good use of it, though it probably needs to be lengthened 1000 ft to accommodate the 767's.

rockyracoon

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 am

Just curious, what is the max size plane that the Delta hangar can handle? Does DL own or lease the hangar?

cvgComair

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:38 am

rockyracoon wrote:
Just curious, what is the max size plane that the Delta hangar can handle? Does DL own or lease the hangar?

This is the hangar a CVG, its the big mainline aircraft type, they built in in the 90's and own it:

Delta has a 737 and MD-80 pilot base at CVG, so I know those planes can fit in it. Delta used to have a 767 base, so I would imagine that they can fit in it as well.

Delta also has separate regional jet hangers (previously operated by Comair) below runway 9/27 now used by Endeavor Air.

PSA Airlines which operates for American Airlines also has a maintenance hangar at the airport.

The two hangars in the foreground are Endeavor's, the red building in the back is PSA's, and Delta Private Jet's Hangars are on the left of the pic:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos