SAT announced CVG

Cvgspotter15

Re: The Rest Of Ohio - 2017

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:28 pm

MIA announced CVG and CLE

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Is there a place I can watch the CVG livestream?

cvgComair

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Cvgspotter15 wrote:
Is there a place I can watch the CVG livestream?

Should be on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/flyCVG

Midwestindy

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 pm

SAN, DEN, MCO are the three that will be served from OKC...

Briancw

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm assuming Frontier's press release today about new routes is about new-non stops vs. new available connections. If so, looks like CMH gets a completely new route: CMH-AUS. If not, please ignore, lol.

https://www.flyfrontier.com/news/posts/2017/july/frontier-airlines-expands-low-fares-to-90-percent-of-the-us-population/

cvgComair

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 pm

CVG is getting MIA/JAX/RDU/AUS/SAT/SEA.

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:19 pm

cvgComair wrote:
CVG is getting MIA/JAX/RDU/AUS/SAT/SEA.

Beat me too it

izbtmnhd

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:20 pm

This is a little underwhelming considering we had repeated assurances that this was a major expansion. Don't get me wrong, they're nice adds, probably some connectivity, but it looks like Frontier is re-focusing it's hub activity at Denver again.

WWads

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Hmm, hopefully this pushes DL to make CVG-SEA year-round. All I really want from DL is AUS, MSY, and RIC.

I wonder if the RJ crew shortage is still a problem. All of these routes would probably get a CRJ7, which means GoJet.
Last edited by WWads on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boscmh

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:29 pm

All in all not bad for CMH, but I wish we were getting some west coast service as well... The second option to TPA on F9 in addition to WN's existing service is welcome though. And the new service to AUS is a nice surprise. Will be interesting to see frequency and timing of that route once it's loaded.

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Is Southwest going to be announcing new nonstop service out of CVG in 9 days from now?

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm

jplatts wrote:
Is Southwest going to be announcing new nonstop service out of CVG in 9 days from now?

I would love it but I highly doubt it. There not necessarily doing fantastic atm

cvgComair

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:36 pm

jplatts wrote:

I am going to very interested to see if they do. LF's were not great for the first month, most likely because DL/G4/F9 offer many many more nonstop routes from CVG, whereas all passengers on WN will have to connect is BWI/MDW, which is not very convenient to Florida. They really need more nonstop destinations if they want to compete successfully with other carriers, I mean DL offers 35 destinations from CVG, F9 has 23, and G4 has 18.....WN has 2.

DeltaRules

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm

CMH-AUS is a big surprise. I think that's the first time the two cities have been linked. We'll take it!

cvgComair

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Apparently some news outlets are saying F9 is launching CVG-MKE in the Summer. Not sure if this is accurate, but that would be an interesting add if it is true.

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:42 pm

cvgComair wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I am going to very interested to see if they do. LF's were not great for the first month, most likely because DL/G4/F9 offer many many more nonstop routes from CVG, whereas all passengers on WN will have to connect is BWI/MDW, which is not very convenient to Florida. They really need more nonstop destinations if they want to compete successfully with other carriers, I mean DL offers 35 destinations from CVG, F9 has 23, and G4 has 18.....WN has 2.

Southwest Airlines, whose home base is at DAL, is the only domestic airline that does not have nonstop service to its home base out of CVG as Allegiant serves its home base at LAS nonstop from CVG, American serves its home base at DFW nonstop out of CVG, Delta serves its home base at ATL nonstop out of CVG, Frontier serves its home base at DEN nonstop from CVG, and United serves its home base at ORD nonstop from CVG.

Southwest Airlines might be able to do well on CVG-DAL nonstop service if it adds nonstop service from CVG to DAL for several reasons, including the following:
  • Southwest has an established customer base in the DFW Metroplex that would prefer to fly Southwest over American, Delta, or Frontier if it adds nonstop service to CVG out of DAL.
  • The demand for Dallas to Cincinnati flights has significantly increased since the repeal of the Wright Amendment on October 13, 2014.
  • Dallas Love Field is closer to downtown Dallas than DFW Airport is.
  • Southwest Airlines actually does business with Cincinnati-based CFM International and Cincinnati-based Cintas and would want to send SWA employees who travel between Southwest's headquarters in Dallas and Cincinnati on Southwest instead of other airlines.
  • American Airlines is currently the only airline to have daily nonstop service from CVG to DFW since Delta currently only has nonstop service from CVG to DFW 6 days a week (on weekdays and Sundays), since Frontier currently only has nonstop service from CVG to DFW on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and since Frontier will only be doing CVG-DFW nonstop service on only Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays between 11/2/17 and 12/14/17.
  • Southwest Airlines would likely do CVG-DAL nonstop service on all 7 days of the week if it adds CVG-DAL nonstop service, even though Southwest now does have the capability to do less than daily service on weekdays to domestic destinations with its new reservation system.
  • If Southwest added nonstop service from CVG to DAL, there would be travelers in the Cincinnati tri-state region that would prefer to fly Southwest Airlines to Dallas over Delta Air Lines or Frontier Airlines since Delta and Frontier do not currently do nonstop service between CVG and DFW on all 7 days of the week and since Southwest does not charge fees for carry-on bags or the first or second checked bags.
  • Southwest Airlines has done well on most of the nonstop routes out of Dallas Love Field that were added after the repeal of the Wright Amendment on October 13, 2014.

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Apparently some news outlets are saying F9 is launching CVG-MKE in the Summer. Not sure if this is accurate, but that would be an interesting add if it is true.

When will we we know the schedule of these new adds

masseybrown

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:11 pm

jplatts wrote:
Southwest Airlines ... is the only domestic airline that does not have nonstop service to its home base out of CVG

Spirit: CVG-FLL? There's one. JetBlue for another?

AirportRival

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:28 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
This is a little underwhelming considering we had repeated assurances that this was a major expansion. Don't get me wrong, they're nice adds, probably some connectivity, but it looks like Frontier is re-focusing it's hub activity at Denver again.

I never once said this would be a major announcement. I said "significant". And I would consider this a significant addition.

izbtmnhd

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 pm

AirportRival wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

I never once said this would be a major announcement. I said "significant". And I would consider this a significant addition.

I didn't dismiss the expansion, I just saw people on here are talking crew bases and hubs. It wasn't quite to that level.

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 pm

masseybrown wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Southwest Airlines ... is the only domestic airline that does not have nonstop service to its home base out of CVG

Southwest Airlines is currently the only domestic airline that does have service to CVG and that does not have nonstop service from CVG to its home base. jetBlue and Spirit currently do not have any service out of CVG.

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:08 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
AirportRival wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

I didn't dismiss the expansion, I just saw people on here are talking crew bases and hubs. It wasn't quite to that level.

It is the level of a "frontier hub"

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Are the AA and UA gates fully utilized at CVG, or are there underutilized gates that Southwest could use to add additional flights out of CVG, even though Southwest currently has room to add at least 12 additional flights a day out of CVG out of its existing gates?
Last edited by jplatts on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyPIT

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:21 pm

So at CVG, how many destinations in total will F9 offer including this latest round?

jplatts

Will Southwest add nonstop service from CVG to TPA? Frontier only does nonstop service between CVG and TPA only 3 or 4 days a week, and Delta only does 1 daily nonstop between CVG and TPA. TPA is one of the top markets from Cincinnati, and there is possibly enough demand for Southwest to serve TPA nonstop from CVG.

masseybrown

jplatts wrote:
masseybrown wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Southwest Airlines is currently the only domestic airline that does have service to CVG and that does not have nonstop service from CVG to its home base. jetBlue and Spirit currently do not have any service out of CVG.

Cheap shot. Sorry. Just having a little fun with your imprecision.

DeltaRules

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
AirportRival wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

You have one bonafide airline hub and now a second which might as well be a hub at this point given the number of destinations served, and a third which bases aircraft all at the same airport. That's a pretty nice haul.

The only thing I'd be bummed about is much of F9's route network at CVG is already served by other carriers, but that's pretty much their MO everywhere else.

jplatts wrote:
Will Southwest add nonstop service from CVG to TPA? Frontier only does nonstop service between CVG and TPA only 3 or 4 days a week, and Delta only does 1 daily nonstop between CVG and TPA. TPA is one of the top markets from Cincinnati, and there is possibly enough demand for Southwest to serve TPA nonstop from CVG.

Again, look at CLE or CMH for models as to what WN at CVG might look like someday if their long-awaited entry into the market doesn't leave them longing for DAY (and it probably won't).

Southwest hasn't even been at CVG two months. Give it time. If it works, new destinations will come.

Jshank83

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 pm

jplatts wrote:

I think you need to slow it down with the all the CVG WN expansion talk. It is a new station and it sounds like the numbers aren't all that great yet by posts on here. I would guess if WN started Florida it would be FLL or MCO. They can route other traffic through there easier. I would also guess they would add one of DEN/LAS/PHX next to get west connections going once they do decide to add more spots. F9 seems to be doing their best to put their stamp on the market though so I don't know how much WN is going to take it on at this point.

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:56 pm

flyPIT wrote:
So at CVG, how many destinations in total will F9 offer including this latest round?

21 or 22

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
Are the AA and UA gates fully utilized at CVG, or are there underutilized gates that Southwest could use to add additional flights out of CVG, even though Southwest currently has room to add at least 12 additional flights a day out of CVG out of its existing gates?

Southwest wont have gate problems for a very long time. they can run up to 20 daily in 3 and 5. Another 10 in A1. and another 8 in A4. and another 10 in A2. If they beat other carriers to expansion.

Cvgspotter15

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I think you need to slow it down with the all the CVG WN expansion talk. It is a new station and it sounds like the numbers aren't all that great yet by posts on here. I would guess if WN started Florida it would be FLL or MCO. They can route other traffic through there easier. I would also guess they would add one of DEN/LAS/PHX next to get west connections going once they do decide to add more spots. F9 seems to be doing their best to put their stamp on the market though so I don't know how much WN is going to take it on at this point.

I wouldnt be surprised if WN did expand soon. BUT do something like 1 daily to FLL and cut an MDW.

flyPIT

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Cvgspotter15 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

21 or 22

What an amazing comeback story at CVG. Not many airports can claim to have 5 commercial aviation hubs/focus cities. Delta/DHL/Frontier/Amazon Prime/Allegiant.

The only other airport off the top of my head is LAX with UA/AA/DL/WN/FX/G4/AS.

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

21 or 22

What an amazing comeback story at CVG. Not many airports can claim to have 5 commercial aviation hubs/focus cities. Delta/DHL/Frontier/Amazon Prime/Allegiant.

The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex has at least 5 commercial aviation hub/focus cities, with American Airlines having its home base at DFW, with Southwest Airlines having its home base at DAL, with Spirit Airlines having a focus city at DFW, with UPS Airlines having a cargo hub at DFW, and with FedEx Express having a cargo hub at AFW.

flyPIT

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 pm

jplatts wrote:
The Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex has at least 5 commercial aviation hub/focus cities, with American Airlines having its home base at DFW, with Southwest Airlines having its home base at DAL, with Spirit Airlines having a focus city at DFW, with UPS Airlines having a cargo hub at DFW, and with FedEx Express having a cargo hub at AFW.

I'm well aware thank you. You named 3 airports in one metro area. You could do the same for Chicago, NYC, and southeast Florida. CVG is one airport with 5 hubs/focus cities which is my point.

By the way the UPS hub at DFW is long gone except for peak (TG-Xmas).

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

21 or 22

Chicago O'Hare is the home base for United Airlines, a major hub for American Airlines, a focus city for Spirit Airlines, a focus city for Frontier Airlines. AirBridgeCargo and Cargolux also have significant operations at ORD. In addition, Chicago Midway is also home to Southwest Airlines's largest operation.

cvgComair

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 am

flyPIT wrote:

Yeah, it is pretty impressive. I hope that Frontier and Allegiant can sustain their growth, though I would really like to see both carriers focus on frequency and keep service year-round. Allegiant has done a really good job at carefully selecting markets and gradually growing them to daily/year-round service. Frontier has been much more mixed, out of the 22 destinations they serve, only 8 are year-round.

DeltaRules

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 am

Frontier is quietly up to 6 destinations at CMH (AUS, DEN, LAS, MCO, TPA, seasonal RSW). It would've been 7 had PHL come back.

jplatts wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:

21 or 22

Chicago O'Hare is the home base for United Airlines, a major hub for American Airlines, a focus city for Spirit Airlines, a focus city for Frontier Airlines. AirBridgeCargo and Cargolux also have significant operations at ORD. In addition, Chicago Midway is also home to Southwest Airlines's largest operation.

The argument isn't impressive if it's across two airports.

brooklynchris13

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:14 am

DeltaRules wrote:
Frontier is quietly up to 6 destinations at CMH (AUS, DEN, LAS, MCO, TPA, seasonal RSW). It would've been 7 had PHL come back.

jplatts wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

The argument isn't impressive if it's across two airports.

DeltaRules... just wondering if that has been verified after the additions. I tried to do some dummy bookings on Frontier's site and it seems MCO and DEN are either going less than daily, are gone, or just have not loaded yet. I agree that its a great thing if they ramp up to all the cities you mentioned, just would like to see the schedules. On a related note, If they do get to that level of service I wonder if we will see the "missing" gate get added back to their area at the end of B.

Speaking of that area, WN is using that spot at the end of B as a night parking area and has doubled up A2 and A6 for at least the morning departures. Does anyone know how that works for gate leases since they board from where they sit by just moving the bridges around. Seems like a very "creative" use of space that is like having another gate without the physical existence of the gate. Do they have to pay for that extra space?

flyCMH

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 am

boscmh wrote:
All in all not bad for CMH, but I wish we were getting some west coast service as well... The second option to TPA on F9 in addition to WN's existing service is welcome though. And the new service to AUS is a nice surprise. Will be interesting to see frequency and timing of that route once it's loaded.

My opinion is that if F9 sees any momentum in garnering market share in CMH, they might add some West Coast capacity for summer of 2018. But even then, most markets other than the LA Basin and the SF Bay Area are thin routes. I think daily DEN and LAS will return, but other West Coast routes will be tricky:

LA Basin: already well served by AA and DL
SF Bay: minimal connection opportunities, WN service via OAK doesn't seem to have had much success
SEA: growing market, but without any connection opportunities, will F9's fares be able to make up for the cost of such a long, thin route?
SAN: see above
PHX: has the pax volume but already covered 4x daily by AA and WN. F9 might be able to see limited success with a highly seasonal schedule

I do think Austin, which came as a huge but welcome surprise, will be the biggest bellwether as to whether it can be expected that F9 will continue to grow out of CMH. It will be interesting to see if they can stimulate the market into becoming viable on a continuous basis and I truly wish them all the success in the world in doing so.

flyguy89

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:01 am

cvgComair wrote:

Overall this has just been a very weird announcement by Frontier...announcing all these new routes that are neither bookable nor have a start date? Not sure I've ever quite seen that before.

Cvgspotter15

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:41 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Overall this has just been a very weird announcement by Frontier...announcing all these new routes that are neither bookable nor have a start date? Not sure I've ever quite seen that before.

It's an awful business strategy

Navion

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 pm

The press is reporting on various news sites and on Twitter that Frontier Airlines will be virtually doubling in size. One problem with all of this, where are the airplanes? Currently Frontier has about 66 jets. Something is not adding up here. I just talk to a buddy of mine Who is a pilot for Frontier and he said that they're (the pilots) all looking at each other wondering what the airline is doing and asking where are the airplanes to do all of this expanded flying. Given Frontier's recent history I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled bunch of routes in order to accommodate these new routes.

DeltaRules

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:24 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
DeltaRules... just wondering if that has been verified after the additions. I tried to do some dummy bookings on Frontier's site and it seems MCO and DEN are either going less than daily, are gone, or just have not loaded yet. I agree that its a great thing if they ramp up to all the cities you mentioned, just would like to see the schedules. On a related note, If they do get to that level of service I wonder if we will see the "missing" gate get added back to their area at the end of B.

Speaking of that area, WN is using that spot at the end of B as a night parking area and has doubled up A2 and A6 for at least the morning departures. Does anyone know how that works for gate leases since they board from where they sit by just moving the bridges around. Seems like a very "creative" use of space that is like having another gate without the physical existence of the gate. Do they have to pay for that extra space?

I had trouble finding TPA nonstops after the announcement. FlyCMH said upthread he saw DEN went to 3/wk during the winter. MCO apparently still runs and is upgauged to an A321.

Re: Southwest, it's an interesting question. There are actually two lines with no jetways surrounding A2, A1 and let's call the other A2A; there's no way they could swing the jetway to A2A, but it looks like they could to A1's line (and I'm assuming they do). The same applies with A6 and "A7", which is across part of the old USAir Express ramp with the basement hold room. I know NW had two parking lines at B35 and would swing the jetway over to the second departure after the first one left, so they had two spots at B35 and one at B36.

Tying both topics together, looking at Google Maps, there are four parking lines at B35 and B36, so the "missing gate" could lead to three, possibly four, places to park F9 planes.

CMHMarc787

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:02 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:

I had trouble finding TPA nonstops after the announcement. FlyCMH said upthread he saw DEN went to 3/wk during the winter. MCO apparently still runs and is upgauged to an A321.

Re: Southwest, it's an interesting question. There are actually two lines with no jetways surrounding A2, A1 and let's call the other A2A; there's no way they could swing the jetway to A2A, but it looks like they could to A1's line (and I'm assuming they do). The same applies with A6 and "A7", which is across part of the old USAir Express ramp with the basement hold room. I know NW had two parking lines at B35 and would swing the jetway over to the second departure after the first one left, so they had two spots at B35 and one at B36.

Tying both topics together, looking at Google Maps, there are four parking lines at B35 and B36, so the "missing gate" could lead to three, possibly four, places to park F9 planes.

There's actually a door at A1, but no jet bridge; the same goes for B36 (which had a jet bridge up to about 2 years ago) and C48. A7 has no doorway by which to attach a jet bridge to, but could have that easily fixed...though the boarding area would be quite cramped. If they would re-install a jet bridge at B36, then they'd have two working gates (B35 and 36) that they could easily operate their schedule, with room to moderately grow.

As for Southwest - I would love for them to take advantage of an additional gate, or two, and do some more expansion.

flyguy89

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 am

June numbers are out for CVG:

June YOY passengers are up 20.56%

Total passengers YOY are up 12.3%

http://cvgairport.com/docs/default-sour ... ?sfvrsn=10

Cvgspotter15

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
June numbers are out for CVG:

June YOY passengers are up 20.56%

Total passengers YOY are up 12.3%

http://cvgairport.com/docs/default-sour ... ?sfvrsn=10

I saw. Insane growth. Southwest and Frontier are making a big difference

WWads

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Unlike past LCC attempts at CVG, it doesn't appear that fare matching is driving customers back to Delta. There's lots of bad feelings toward them around here. For me, I only really fly DL, so I'm glad to pay much lower fares on newly competitive routes, but still. I think DL is going to have to resume service on a few routes to keep up. As much as people in the tristate area hate on Delta, they're still the best shot for a LHR flight, and renewed, reliable service to more key destinations.

It would be nice if DL would base a few CS100s here, or perhaps open a 717 base once they come back from the West Coast.

cvgComair

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Cargo tonnage is up 15.83% at CVG due to Amazon and DHL growth, we are just going to miss 1,000,000 tons of cargo, which is pretty amazing! This should move CVG into the top 25 cargo airports in the world for 2017 (34th for 2015). Currently we are 6th in the US, but should place 4-5th by the ends of the year.

cvgComair

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:32 pm

WWads wrote:
Unlike past LCC attempts at CVG, it doesn't appear that fare matching is driving customers back to Delta. There's lots of bad feelings toward them around here. For me, I only really fly DL, so I'm glad to pay much lower fares on newly competitive routes, but still.

One thing DL has going for them is a loyal customer base in Cincinnati that they have built up over decades. I have always (and will for the foreseeable future) only fly DL in the US. As a result of the lower fares they have been putting out in Cincinnati, I have flew almost double the amount this year as I did in 2016. I don't plan on using Allegiant/Frontier, because they are actually more expensive most of the time compared to DL, especially with bag fees/seat selections/snacks. It really depends on the flier as well, I don't fly to many "leisure" destinations, mostly LAX/SFO/SJC/SEA/SAN + Asia, so LCC's are of little help to me.

I do hope DL continues to grow, year-round SEA is the biggest priority IMO. I would also like to see some larger aircraft to replace the CRJ-200's on business routes such as CVG-PHL/BWI/CLT.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos