Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cvgComair

Re: The Rest Of Ohio Part 6

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:28 pm

flyCMH wrote:
Also, from another thread comes very significant news for Northwest Ohio.

Apparently American will begin TOL-CLT in August. Equipment stated to be CR2s. Frequencies and schedules are not yet available.

That is really exciting (I am originally from Toledo)! It's too bad DL has pulled out of TOL completely, but AA seems to be staying committed to Toledo. I would love to see DL try TOL-ATL again, but its probably not going to happen at this point. Crazy to think DL had 8-9x/day service on CVG-TOL at one point!

flyCMH

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:17 pm

cvgComair wrote:
flyCMH wrote:

Apparently American will begin TOL-CLT in August. Equipment stated to be CR2s. Frequencies and schedules are not yet available.

That is really exciting (I am originally from Toledo)! It's too bad DL has pulled out of TOL completely, but AA seems to be staying committed to Toledo. I would love to see DL try TOL-ATL again, but its probably not going to happen at this point. Crazy to think DL had 8-9x/day service on CVG-TOL at one point!

It really is. I've been following air service development (or lack thereof) at TOL since the late 90s. The last decade or so has been soul-crushing as far as the lack of commitment by just about anyone to spur additional flights. The two years or so have seen stability and increases with G4, but this will be the first positive network carrier change in years. Really looking forward to the official announcement.

DeltaRules

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:02 am

That's great news for TOL. Good on AA and TOL for making it happen.

flyCMH wrote:
Thanks from the updates from DAY. The renovation projects sound really nice. I've always enjoyed their terminal, but the A/B connectors definitely need to go. The plan of filling them in with a central atrium and expanded food court will certainly be welcome.

Also glad they are actively pursuing reachable goals like better Western access,larger aircraft and increased service on current routes. The true success story recently out of DAY is PSA. They have been growing their operation significantly at the airport over the past few years. I had no idea they were up to almost 1,000 employees there.

They claim they have the traffic to fill a daily flight to LAX. The question would be the airline to operate it, and the only airplane which seems to make sense right now is an E175 if it had the legs (edit- I guess the C-Series, too). In addition to the places I mentioned they want to go, they also named IAH and SLC. Renovation-wise, they've already changed the carpet and terminal signage- it's nice, but I'll miss the Wright Flyer pattern. I was hoping we'd get up into the concourses themselves, but it didn't happen.

PSA's been a hell of a story, too. I get to visit them next week. AA has 28 daily flights out of DAY, which is much more than I expected.

cvgComair wrote:
As far as future routes for DAY, I think DAY-VPS/FLL on G4 looks very promising, maybe even a stab at DAY-LAS, although they don't even have than from LCK. According to http://www.daytondailynews.com/business ... M6tUpdheI/, we could see more DAY flights soon!

Have not been to DAY in a while (at least 2010) since fares are cheaper at CVG (made the DAY-CVG-XXX hop quite a few times). I don't remember anything bad about the airport and the entrance atrium is really nice. I remember being on the AB connector and seeing all the DL jets bound for CVG and ATL. Probably the coolest flight I remember for DAY was the CVG-CMH-DAY triangle. Nice to see DAY getting improvements, while I have been happy to get F9/WN from DAY, the airport has had a rough past few years.

I'm glad you posted that link because I hadn't seen it! It sounded to me like the issue with DAY-LAS or -IWA has to do with some combination of aircraft (maybe insufficient Airbus metal and/or out of the MD-80's range) and the fact G4 doesn't do RONs. Are they looking at changing their business plan to start overnights and I just missed it?

I still feel like NK will wind up at DAY. What I wonder about is if F9 were to return as they did at CMH.

DAY's always been a nice airport and the terminal has always been the easiest to use among itself, CMH, and CVG. We always used it as a secondary airport when I was growing up. Gate A1 still fascinates me, though- it's signed (the only gate I got to see while there), has a mic for the PA system, yet "doesn't exist". Maybe they're hoping AC will come back?

cvgComair

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:01 am

DeltaRules wrote:
It sounded to me like the issue with DAY-LAS or -IWA has to do with some combination of aircraft (maybe insufficient Airbus metal and/or out of the MD-80's range) and the fact G4 doesn't do RONs. Are they looking at changing their business plan to start overnights and I just missed it?

They do not plan to do RONs anytime soon based on what I have heard. They could still do DAY without a RON, they do it at IND/GRR/TYSCVG (LAS flight is not a CVG based aircraft), and the LAS-DAY flight is within range of the MD-80 and A319. Now, I have no clue what G4's fleet situation is, as they are brining in new aircraft, but mostly to replace older aircraft. Though, I feel like G4 is increasingly dividing the east and west regions of the U.S., with only a few outlier stations (CVG is the only one I can think of) actively getting West coast flights.

Interesting you bring up F9, they have a bunch of planes coming in over the next 6-12 months. I know that the last time Frontier announced new routes from CVG they stated that they believe CVG is still underserved (implying more destinations will be added from CVG). I think its reasonable to expect that CVG could see F9 based aircraft/crew in the near-term, especially with all the west coast flying. To be honest, I am not quite sure wether or not Frontier would be willing to try DAY again with CVG so close.

It has also been brought up that a big portion of DAY's LCC service (and CMH/IND/SDF to an extent) has been supported by CVG based passengers. Without those passengers, DAY is a smaller regional airport comparable to cities like Baton Rouge, El Paso, and Little Rock, and a very similar thing is happening with CLE/CAK. I think its more profitable for carriers to compete for passengers at a common airport rather than splitting them between CVG/DAY, hence why F9 bailed for CVG, WN did the same, and G4 maintains many times the operation at CVG. In the next 2-3 years, I think we will probably see B6 and/or NK as the market diversifies. In addition, it has been predicted that Cincinnati and Dayton's MSA will merge together, which would create a "catchment" area similar in size to Tampa, St. Louis, Denver, and Baltimore. For airlines looking at markets to add, on paper "Cincinnati" will have ~ 3,000,000 in its catchment area, in addition to CVG's landing fees, which should plummet as a result of Amazon. For potential carriers, its hard to ignore the advantages of operating at CVG even in-spite of DL's large presence.

The trend of expanding large hub airports seems to be slowly creeping towards building up medium sized airports like CVG/CMH/IND/PIT/SDF/STL/BNA/RDU/MKE/etc, often at the expense of small hub airports like DAY/FWA/TOL/SBN/EVV/GRR/CAK/MDT/FNT/etc. While I have no doubt the cycle will return to focus on smaller cities with a new generations of carriers in the 10-15+ year range, it looks like we are still on the downhill curve. Similar to CAK/CLE, DAY/CVG are at an awkward distance apart, too far to build one airport, but too close to both attract significant service. While Cleveland and Akron might be able to pull off a deal since neither airport has very extensive infrastructure and both are in the same state, I think a merger of DAY/CVG has an almost 0% chance of happening. With Kentucky controlling CVG, billions in terminal infrastructure, two cargo hubs, and one of the highest capacity arrival/departure runways layouts in the U.S, the state of Kentucky would be stupid to hand Ohio billions of assess and the thousands of jobs.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see DAY expand and I feel the pain :-), and I think G4 is the perfect carrier for DAY. As they work to improve reliability, the connivence they offer with non-stop flights on mainline planes to leisure destinations is unmatched.

flyinryan99

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:21 pm

flyCMH wrote:

Here's the press releases:

http://www.flytol.com/2017/04/13/americ ... e-service/

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/419614413.html

http://www.wtol.com/story/35162398/new- ... ss-airport

Schedule is as below.

Departing Flights

Flight 5163 7:00 AM 8:50 AM
Flight 5479 1:37 PM 3:29 PM

Arriving Flights

Flight 5479 11:25 AM 1:09 PM
Flight 5542 10:09 PM 11:47 PM

Operated by PSA.

cvgComair

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:18 am

March CVG Stats are out. Passenger Traffic is up 15% for March, 11% for the Year! Passenger traffic is going to be just under 8 million this year if the growth continues! Cargo is strong as well with 8% gain for the year and 15% for March. Passenger counts are quickly charging towards IND/PIT/CLE/CMH, it should be interesting to see where CVG ends up relative to other airports in the region. The airport board predicts 9 million by 2021, should be interesting.
Last edited by cvgComair on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeltaRules

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 am

FYI, cvgComair, if you're looking for stats on DAY in the future, they're under the About DAY page on the airport's website.

cvgComair

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:35 am

Here is the summary so far this year, sorry if I missed any smaller airports in/(near) Ohio:
CAK (Thru Jan): 110,888, +6.1%
CMH (Thru Feb): 1,023,537, +3.1%
CVG (Thru March): 1,610,092, +11.2
DAY (Thru Feb): 140,001 (enplanements only), -4.3%
HTS (Thru Feb): 23,913, +24.8%
TOL: ????

boscmh

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 am

LCK is at 24,991 through Feb, up 1.8%

flyinryan99

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:03 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Here is the summary so far this year, sorry if I missed any smaller airports in/(near) Ohio:
CAK (Thru Jan): 110,888, +6.1%
CMH (Thru Feb): 1,023,537, +3.1%
CVG (Thru March): 1,610,092, +11.2
DAY (Thru Feb): 140,001 (enplanements only), -4.3%
HTS (Thru Feb): 23,913, +24.8%
TOL: ????

TOL (Thru March): 48,102 +4.1%

cvgComair

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Looks like the airport board is confirming Amazon plans to add way more than 40 aircraft at CVG. According to the Quarter 1 update, Amazon plans to have 100+ Amazon Cargo planes at CVG: http://www.cvgairport.com/docs/default- ... f?sfvrsn=6

I would love to see a large 747-8F order :-).

Briancw

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 pm

CRAA President & CEO, Elaine Roberts, will be retiring in 2017.

More info here:
http://columbusairports.com/files/press ... _plans.pdf

While I'm not informed enough to say how effective/ineffective she has been, I do welcome the change in leadership. Perhaps CMH/LCK will move more quickly towards bigger and better things in the future.

flyCMH

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:29 am

Briancw wrote:
CRAA President & CEO, Elaine Roberts, will be retiring in 2017.

More info here:
http://columbusairports.com/files/press ... _plans.pdf

While I'm not informed enough to say how effective/ineffective she has been, I do welcome the change in leadership. Perhaps CMH/LCK will move more quickly towards bigger and better things in the future.

Wow, I was actually wondering if she might be stepping down soon. I recall way back when that she came to the Columbus Airport Authority in very high regard, as she was credited with helping put PVD on the map with their airport expansion and courting Southwest. My personal opinion is that she guided the CAA and subsequent CRAA well, but it's definitely time for some new blood. Hopefully the successor the board picks is of a pedigree that can really build on the success and growth of the Columbus Region and translate that into better air service.

Some other recent CMH news:

Another ho-hum article about how the airport is constantly courting new service and preparing for the eventual construction of a new terminal:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170414/l ... al-project

Meanwhile, something a little more concrete in that a new Residence Inn will be built on the site of the former USPS facility next to the somewhat recently completed Fairfield Inn. Good to know bookings there have been robust enough to warrant the construction:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170418/n ... nn-airport

cvgComair

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:53 am

LUK expansion plans: http://wvxu.org/post/companies-interest ... t#stream/0

Apparently LUK is out of space for new buildings, so they are considering removing the unused third runway to build more hangars.

Also, it looks like Ultimate will be adding another destination to LUK soon, most likely when they get the second ERJ-135, does not specify which airport, but my bets are on BNA, MEM, or CPS. Specifically mentions that Ultimate wants more room to grow. (Parking is really tight as well)

I like Ultimate Air Shuttle's livery on the ERJ-135, I would love to see it on the J328's as it looks a lot more like a passenger airline livery than a corporate jet one! I would also love to see ExpressJet's 5 remaining ERJ-135's transferred to Ultimate, I cannot believe UA still operates them!

cvgComair

Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Here is the DL data from CVG (mainline and connection), I picked June 2016 for the peak and August 2016 for the low (worst %'s when all seasonal routes are still operating):

Here is a link to this data in a sortable table as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmucPLlV3A2QLxigaiwzxJlRw19ksfBIWloGJOqyxeE/edit?usp=sharing

Origin, Destination, June 2016, August 2016
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Los Angeles, CA (LAX), 94%, 87%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Seattle, WA (SEA), 94%, 83%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Fort Myers, FL (RSW), 93%, 85%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Las Vegas, NV (LAS), 93%, 77%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Denver, CO (DEN), 93%, 82%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Orlando, FL (MCO), 92%, 72%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Houston, TX (IAH), 92%, 80%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Cancun, Mexico (CUN), 91%, 90%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Salt Lake City, UT (SLC), 89%, 81%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), San Francisco, CA (SFO), 89%, 76%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Tampa, FL (TPA), 88%, 64%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL), 87%, 61%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Minneapolis, MN (MSP), 86%, 83%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Atlanta, GA (ATL), 86%, 79%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW), 86%, 69%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), St. Louis, MO (STL), 86%, 61%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Paris, France (CDG), 84%, 60%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Chicago, IL (ORD), 83%, 63%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Boston, MA (BOS), 82%, 77%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Newark, NJ (EWR), 82%, 69%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Baltimore, MD (BWI), 82%, 84%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Detroit, MI (DTW), 82%, 70%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Memphis, TN (MEM), 81%, 77%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Nashville, TN (BNA), 80%, 53%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Toronto, Canada (YYZ), 79%, 71%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU), 79%, 71%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Charlotte, NC (CLT), 78%, 59%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Kansas City, MO (MCI), 78%, 68%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Philadelphia, PA (PHL), 76%, 62%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Milwaukee, WI (MKE), 76%, 58%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Washington, DC (DCA), 75%, 64%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), New York, NY (LGA), 74%, 71%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), New York, NY (JFK), 73%, 84%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Hartford, CT (BDL), 63%, 54%
Cincinnati, OH (CVG), Fayetteville, AR (XNA), 62%, 46%

cvgComair

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 am

Delta has extended its CVG-MSP mainline to year round! It remains 1x/day on the B717-200 through the end of the schedule in March 2018, while the other 4 flights remain on the CRJ-900. The route is also seeing a second daily mainline flight on the A319 this May, plus the MD-88 is scheduled through the Summer.

DTW-CVG remains on the 717-200 until December 2017, so hopefully that one sticks as well!

cvgComair

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 am

Lot's of posts by me, sorry :-). However, it appears UA is adding a 5th daily CVG-IAH on Sept. 6, probably for DL adding another daily CVG-IAH flight.

flyCMH

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Some more information on Elaine Roberts retirement from the Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170425/l ... nd-of-year

Included in the article are March statistics for CMH and LCK. CMH pax traffic up 6.3%, LCK pax traffic up 45.5% and LCK cargo traffic up 21.3%.

Briancw

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:23 pm

flyCMH wrote:
Included in the article are March statistics for CMH and LCK. CMH pax traffic up 6.3%, LCK pax traffic up 45.5% and LCK cargo traffic up 21.3%.

Good to see these numbers.

DeltaRules

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 pm

None of us noticed, but DL's CMH-MCO Saturday service was apparently mainline again this Winter, this time an A319 until April 8th.

cvgComair

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Looks like the final flight on Amazon will depart from ILN today at 4:30pm for DFW. They already shuttled an Amazon Cargo Plane over from ILN at 2:00pm and looks like the first scheduled 762 from ONT will arrive at CVG at 5:00pm. Exciting times! The hub should be in regular operations tomorrow with flights to Seattle, Stockton (CA), San Antonio, Baltimore, Dallas, Phoenix, Ontario (CA), Chicago/Rockford, and Tampa.

cvgComair

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:13 pm

According to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZylxgeTRsdM, WCPO asked Candace McGraw about the Concourse A expansion and she said the Master Plan study is coming out soon, should be interesting to see what the plans are for the facility!

NoTime

Mon May 01, 2017 4:49 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Looks like the final flight on Amazon will depart from ILN today at 4:30pm for DFW. They already shuttled an Amazon Cargo Plane over from ILN at 2:00pm and looks like the first scheduled 762 from ONT will arrive at CVG at 5:00pm. Exciting times! The hub should be in regular operations tomorrow with flights to Seattle, Stockton (CA), San Antonio, Baltimore, Dallas, Phoenix, Ontario (CA), Chicago/Rockford, and Tampa.

Although I wish it was LCK instead of CVG, cheers to you - it's certainly pretty cool stuff.

cvgComair

Thu May 04, 2017 11:56 pm

CVG is getting a Terminal modernization in the Main Terminal, Concourse A, Concourse B, and Customs Area. There are very little details currently, however, it does look like the old carpet in Concourse B/Customs area will be replaced. It also looks like this is a focus on Concourse B, which is needed, because I am not sure anything has changed in the Concourse since it was built in 1994. The new concessions coming to Concourse B in 2017 Fall/2018 Winter are probably part of this plan. Concourse A was just renovated in 2012.

ocracoke

Fri May 05, 2017 6:09 am

cvgComair wrote:
CVG is getting a Terminal modernization in the Main Terminal, Concourse A, Concourse B, and Customs Area. There are very little details currently, however, it does look like the old carpet in Concourse B/Customs area will be replaced. It also looks like this is a focus on Concourse B, which is needed, because I am not sure anything has changed in the Concourse since it was built in 1994. The new concessions coming to Concourse B in 2017 Fall/2018 Winter are probably part of this plan. Concourse A was just renovated in 2012.

A few things have changed in B over the years. Many of the ticket reissue areas and meeting rooms have been turned over to retail space. For example, that KY store and the western store used to be a meeting room, and where the pay smoking lounge/book store is today used to be a rebooking area and an unaccompanied minor holding room.

Restaurants have come and gone. I remember when B first opened up, they had Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and Cheers. All long since gone.

The carpet did get changed once. I want to say around mid 2000 something.

The entire concourse got a new paint job. Remember that ugly purple? There is one spot still left that's purple, if you know where to look.

The TSA recheck area at international arrivals was redone. It about doubled the space.

The old bus stop to concourse C has been walled off. Cant get back there anymore.

And of course, the train stops at A again. It was so nice flying out of CVG back when A was mothballed, and the train would go nonstop from the terminal to B.

cvgComair

Fri May 05, 2017 6:03 pm

ocracoke wrote:
The carpet did get changed once. I want to say around mid 2000 something.

The entire concourse got a new paint job. Remember that ugly purple? There is one spot still left that's purple, if you know where to look.

I do remember the purple, that was bad. Blue would have been fine, I am not sure why the color did not match the color of the Delta Hangar (It might have been that Purple for a while, but all my pics of it are blue). I have always hated the carpet, I don't remember it ever being switched, but I am sure it probably was changed or at least replaced a few times. I personally preferred the black tile and carpet combination that was in parts of Concourse A before the renovation, but I am assuming they will go with the carpet that is currently in Concourse A. I highly doubt they will mess with the terrazzo-like flooring (I don't know what it's actually called).

B4REAL

Sat May 06, 2017 11:42 pm

One (late) comment about the Porsche transfer service at CVG - that actually can be very nice for arriving passengers. I'm not sure if it applies there however. But transfer to maybe the back side of baggage claim could be very nice - especially if arriving at one of the farthest out B gates...

cvgComair

Sun May 07, 2017 12:32 am

B4REAL wrote:
One (late) comment about the Porsche transfer service at CVG - that actually can be very nice for arriving passengers. I'm not sure if it applies there however. But transfer to maybe the back side of baggage claim could be very nice - especially if arriving at one of the farthest out B gates...

It would be cool if they did that, there is actually a bus corridor built on the Main Terminal, I think it was meant to be a stop for the Concourse C shuttles so you did not have to go to Concourse A/B first. Not sure if they would actually do it, I could see it for Delta Private Jet Card Holders returning on a regular passenger flight, probably not anyone else.

cvgComair

Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 am

Found some Amazon Prime Air pics at CVG!!!

Thanks to plane_spotter_cvg on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxY2sYh015/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTsEzVnhjrQ/

Some more thanks to CVG Spotters:

azcr4567

Mon May 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Anyone know why DL 228 diverted to BOS last night (7MAY17) before continuing to CDG later that night?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KCVG/KBOS

cvgComair

Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 am

Delta just loaded a 2nd daily CVG-FLL on Saturdays on the CRJ-900 in addition to the existing daily MD-80 frequency, lasts from June 17 until August 26. Also, CVG-DCA retains its 717 mainline through June 30 and MSP has its 717 mainline loaded through the end of the schedule.

Also, interesting change, it appears the mid-morning CVG-STL flight is being shifted to 1:00pm starting this Summer, giving 1:00pm and 8:00pm departure times, which seems really strange. Back when it was 3x/day, the departure times were 9:45am, 11:30am and 4:00pm. Apparently the late night departures are popular, CVG-MKE/BNA's single daily flights leave around 8:00pm as well. I would think morning departures would be more popular, but what do I know :-).

azcr4567 wrote:
Anyone know why DL 228 diverted to BOS last night (7MAY17) before continuing to CDG later that night?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KCVG/KBOS

I have been trying to find out but I have not found anything. It did make a rather abrupt turn back to BOS, so something had to have been wrong, I am thinking fuel and needing to take a longer route because of weather, but I do not know for sure.

I did see that the aircraft was shuttled it from ATL to run CVG-CDG, the inbound flight was extremely late and waited until the next day to leave again for CDG at CVG. It was odd to have 2 flights in the air to/from Paris from Cincinnati, normally they just rotate aircraft in Paris, unless they were preforming maintenance on one of them at CVG, but I am pretty sure they only do 737's, MD88's, and CRJ2/7/9's at CVG now.

Jshank83

Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 am

I think the CVG-BNA is a morning departure from BNA and night from CVG so that someone from BNA could do a business trip in one day. At least that's what I assumed when I looked it up a week or so ago. Doesn't help the CVG side though.

I don't get the CVG-STL not being morning/evening though.

cvgComair

Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Delta is making a noticeable effort to include Cincinnati in all its new/press release items. They removed Cincinnati from everything in 2014/2015, but it appears we are listed as a Key Hub again! Interesting Cincinnati was named on a bunch of articles in the last week, plus they are finally doing volunteering in Cincinnati:
http://news.delta.com/global-network
http://news.delta.com/delta-builds-firs ... cincinnati
http://news.delta.com/delta-shows-its-p ... rld-summer
http://news.delta.com/delta-day-hope-ev ... ght-cancer

It should be interesting to see if CVG is listed on the Corporate Stats & Facts when it is next updated.

Also, these are not loaded into Delta's booking system yet, but their timetable that came out today says CVG-SEA will be on a B737-900ER this Summer instead of the 738 and CVG-MCI will start seeing CRJ-900's.

AirportRival

Wed May 10, 2017 11:15 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Delta is making a noticeable effort to include Cincinnati in all its new/press release items. They removed Cincinnati from everything in 2014/2015, but it appears we are listed as a Key Hub again! Interesting Cincinnati was named on a bunch of articles in the last week, plus they are finally doing volunteering in Cincinnati:
http://news.delta.com/global-network
http://news.delta.com/delta-builds-firs ... cincinnati
http://news.delta.com/delta-shows-its-p ... rld-summer
http://news.delta.com/delta-day-hope-ev ... ght-cancer

It should be interesting to see if CVG is listed on the Corporate Stats & Facts when it is next updated.

Also, these are not loaded into Delta's booking system yet, but their timetable that came out today says CVG-SEA will be on a B737-900ER this Summer instead of the 738 and CVG-MCI will start seeing CRJ-900's.

That's awesome! I've been hoping for a long time to see Delta get more involved in Cincinnati. I've also been saying for a long time that Delta and Concourse B won't be leaving anytime soon at CVG. With more frequent larger planes and more flights in general that Concourse is gonna be busy at certain times of the day.

I'm other CVG news, Frontier will be hiring a City Manager for CVG. We are easily one of the largest stations in the network now. As a manager for F9's ground handler in CVG I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to the additional oversight but I completely understand why they are doing it.

cvgComair

Thu May 11, 2017 12:37 am

AirportRival wrote:
That's awesome! I've been hoping for a long time to see Delta get more involved in Cincinnati. I've also been saying for a long time that Delta and Concourse B won't be leaving anytime soon at CVG. With more frequent larger planes and more flights in general that Concourse is gonna be busy at certain times of the day.

I'm other CVG news, Frontier will be hiring a City Manager for CVG. We are easily one of the largest stations in the network now. As a manager for F9's ground handler in CVG I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to the additional oversight but I completely understand why they are doing it.

I noticed that DL also hired a new station manager for CVG, wonder if she has anything to do with the increased involvement. The evening bank has gotten quite large, I was on the 717 flight from MSP and the pilot alerted us that we needed to wait for a gate to open, almost all the gates were filled, I counted 22 out 28 (some were RON's)! There are a lot of RON aircraft right now, they are keeping 2 717's, at least 5-6 CR2's, a few CR7/CR9's, 2-3 MD-80's, and 2-3 B738's.

I recently pulled data from October 2016 to update Wikipedia, CVG was #7, however, ATL and PHL were significantly reduced since then and CVG gained roughly 30-40% F9 capacity, so I think CVG will rise to #5 once the 2017 numbers come out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_ ... stinations.

cvgComair

Fri May 12, 2017 2:39 am

Does anyone know what is up with the Singapore Airlines Cargo Flights that keep coming?
Here is the flight, it was here today, two weeks ago, and two weeks before that: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SQC7952
I don't have the flight number from the first appearance, but it was the same schedule, could they possibly be starting a route through Cincinnati? I am not sure what they would be here for, but it seems odd that they have come every other Thursday for the last few months.

Video, one of the commenters has also noticed the pattern of them coming on Thursdays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJQ79YQ6bM

Update: I have not found an "official source" but I think this might be a new route. Flightradar says the ANC-DFW route was "diverted" to CVG, but that seems a little odd to me, especially for it happen in consecutive weeks. I am guessing it could be a trial run?

Cvgspotter15

Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Does anyone think CVG will ever get more international service. I mean mostly transatlantic. We used to have at least 5 european flights a day and planned expansion to Asia back at the peak of our hub. I know we will never be our peak again just wondering if Delta or another international carrier will ever reinstate some International service.

cvgComair

Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 pm

CVG has updated its website, removing the old 2035 master plan and adding details about the upcoming 2050 master plan! There is a new rendering of the Amazon Prime Air Facility, it does not provide new information, but its centered on the area between 18C/36C and 18R/36L, so hopefully they build it all at once instead of stages as some articles were suggesting. I really want to see renderings of this site, plus what the terminal area will look like! I am hoping they push the 2050 master plan out soon, getting tired of waiting to see renderings and provide feedback :-)!

http://www.cvgairport.com/about/next

jelpee

Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 pm

B4REAL wrote:
Concourse A being out of gates is not really a big deal if you ask me. The airlines need to use them more efficiently, maybe go common use. Plenty of other airports due more movements with fewer gates. Did they ever actually demolish the C gates? Even if only just one "pier" of gates, would be a nice option in a situation like this...

Was at the airfield yesterday (May 14) and Concourse C is no longer standing.

Unrelated to this, Prime Air began operations as of May 1st. Spotted a total of 7 yesterday morning (May 14th). They're using the DHL ramp at the south end of 18L/36R for now.

Jehan

AirportRival

Tue May 16, 2017 1:37 am

cvgComair wrote:
CVG has updated its website, removing the old 2035 master plan and adding details about the upcoming 2050 master plan! There is a new rendering of the Amazon Prime Air Facility, it does not provide new information, but its centered on the area between 18C/36C and 18R/36L, so hopefully they build it all at once instead of stages as some articles were suggesting. I really want to see renderings of this site, plus what the terminal area will look like! I am hoping they push the 2050 master plan out soon, getting tired of waiting to see renderings and provide feedback :-)!

I saw them taking soil samples today in the grassy area between 18/36C and 18R/36L.

Cvgspotter15

Tue May 16, 2017 2:05 am

AirportRival wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

I saw them taking soil samples today in the grassy area between 18/36C and 18R/36L.

I actually caught the first amazon air flight at CVG on April 30 arriving at 5 o clock. It was an ATI 762. Pictre on my instagram: Cvgspotter15

CVGDTWfan

Tue May 16, 2017 2:16 am

Cvgspotter15 wrote:
Does anyone think CVG will ever get more international service. I mean mostly transatlantic. We used to have at least 5 european flights a day and planned expansion to Asia back at the peak of our hub. I know we will never be our peak again just wondering if Delta or another international carrier will ever reinstate some International service.

When CVG's new contract was reached in 2015 with the existing carriers at the airport, it allowed them to offer incentives to airlines, so now I think there's a better possibility. That being said, I think their best chance is really only gaining 1 more European flight. Which airline is anybody's guess. There's previously been speculation that it could be British Airways to Heathrow due to their success in smaller cities like Austin, and I know CVG has previously courted Lufthansa for a flight to Frankfurt. If the current trend continues with Delta starting to somewhat care about CVG again by increasing capacity to its existing destinations, I could potentially see them offering another flight to Europe since they would have the ability to have decent O/D and have the most connections on a European flight from CVG. I'd also assume CVG would have to throw in financial incentives as well to seal the deal. That being said, I think that another Delta flight would also be a long shot.

Cvgspotter15

Tue May 16, 2017 2:18 am

CVGDTWfan wrote:
Cvgspotter15 wrote:

When CVG's new contract was reached in 2015 with the existing carriers at the airport, it allowed them to offer incentives to airlines, so now I think there's a better possibility. That being said, I think their best chance is really only gaining 1 more European flight. Which airline is anybody's guess. There's previously been speculation that it could be British Airways to Heathrow due to their success in smaller cities like Austin, and I know CVG has previously courted Lufthansa for a flight to Frankfurt. If the current trend continues with Delta starting to somewhat care about CVG again by increasing capacity to its existing destinations, I could potentially see them offering another flight to Europe since they would have the ability to have decent O/D and have the most connections on a European flight from CVG. I'd also assume CVG would have to throw in financial incentives as well to seal the deal. That being said, I think that another Delta flight would also be a long shot.

Well as cvgcomair said earlier there are delta slots opening up at heathrow that could potentially go to CVG. British Airways is also rumoured to come within the next few years. London or Frankfurt are probably the most possible options. Lufthansa or Condor could go to frankfurt really.

DeltaRules

Tue May 16, 2017 3:56 pm

CMH has been rumored to get London flights for a couple years now and nothing's ever come of it. CVG may be in a similar boat.

Anything's possible. How does PIT have CDG, FRA, and KEF (with onward connections to Europe) with no hub?

phluser

Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
CMH has been rumored to get London flights for a couple years now and nothing's ever come of it. CVG may be in a similar boat.

Anything's possible. How does PIT have CDG, FRA, and KEF (with onward connections to Europe) with no hub?

Subsidies, incentives and limited/seasonal service depending on the airline and route. Could CMH and CLE pool together incentives and get Europe service, with a carrier maybe doing 3x weekly to CLE, 3x weekly to CMH on different days, but to the same European gateway?

cvgComair

Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 am

For anyone curious, Delta will gain 5x/week Sun/Tue/Wed/Thurs//Sat arrival slots at LHR, allowing for Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat departures from a US station.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... d-to-delta

It was falsely reported that DL would receive another 2x/week LHR slots from SAS to make a daily service, however, they appear to be going to AA: https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... expansion/

Delta's use of the 5 slots will begin on October 29, 2017, after being deferred from an original start date of April 1, 2017. CVG does now have a TATL subsidiary of $800,000 over 2 years (I am sure more if a deal is/was in the works), cargo options available, and connecting passengers, which I would imagine would make CVG close to, if not, the #1 new station for DL to add LHR service from (unless it would be better to add frequency from another hub). This is in addition to DL now declaring LHR one of its 3 European hubs. I still feel that the route is a bit of a long-shot, but 2017 has been an interesting year already, with the Amazon and Southwest announcements, who knows what is next :-).

CVG-CDG appears to be doing abnormally well currently, just going by seat maps, most days are seeing high 80's to mid 90's load factors. Of course these are not 100% accurate, but it gives a good estimate.
Last edited by cvgComair on Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cvgComair

Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 am

DeltaRules wrote:
How does PIT have CDG, FRA, and KEF (with onward connections to Europe) with no hub?

A thing to consider is that with DL's PIT-CDG being seasonal on the 757, WOWair's service being low frequency on an A321, and Condor being low frequency and seasonal on the 767, the overall seat count per year at PIT is not much different than CVG's daily/year-round CVG-CDG 767.

Some load factor data on PIT-CDG, it's not terrible, but I am not sure if it is sustainable against two other carriers (CVG-CDG is in parentheses):

5/2016 - 68% (82%)
6/2016 - 75% (84%)
7/2016 - 67% (67%)
8/2016 - 59% (60%)
9/2016 - 63% (67%)

Also, CVG-CDG has crazy high fares for business passengers using the flight, leading to lower load factors in economy, whereas PIT-CDG has historically been much more reasonably priced, but it still has low loads in peak moths.

cvgComair

Wed May 17, 2017 1:04 am

Unrelated CVG news, a new food vendor, Blaze Pizza, is coming to Concourse A in Spring 2018, which is in addition to two new vendors in Concourse B which have not been named, but the signs also say Spring 2018, plus another store that opened in Concourse A last week (I do not know its name). Last year was a 25% increase in local passengers, I expect the expansion of vendors to continue.

Also, Frontier is also expecting its 2 millionth passenger at CVG soon: https://twitter.com/CVGairport/status/8 ... 0389054464

AirportRival

Wed May 17, 2017 1:58 am

cvgComair wrote:
Unrelated CVG news, a new food vendor, Blaze Pizza, is coming to Concourse A in Spring 2018, which is in addition to two new vendors in Concourse B which have not been named, but the signs also say Spring 2018, plus another store that opened in Concourse A last week (I do not know its name). Last year was a 25% increase in local passengers, I expect the expansion of vendors to continue.

Also, Frontier is also expecting its 2 millionth passenger at CVG soon: https://twitter.com/CVGairport/status/8 ... 0389054464

The only new things in A that I can think of are the Urban Market/Stella Artois bar and a Forever Heather kiosk but both of those have been open for over two months now. They have started work on where I'm thinking the Blaze Pizza is going (I could have sworn that that is actually going in at B where the old Charlie's subs use to be). They have removed the old personal work station that use to be in the corner across from the Starbucks in A so that is likely where the new food place is going.

Cvgspotter15

Wed May 17, 2017 3:08 am

cvgComair wrote:
For anyone curious, Delta will gain 5x/week Sun/Tue/Wed/Thurs//Sat arrival slots at LHR, allowing for Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat departures from a US station.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... d-to-delta

It was falsely reported that DL would receive another 2x/week LHR slots from SAS to make a daily service, however, they appear to be going to AA: https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... expansion/

Delta's use of the 5 slots will begin on October 29, 2017, after being deferred from an original start date of April 1, 2017. CVG does now have a TATL subsidiary of $800,000 over 2 years (I am sure more if a deal is/was in the works), cargo options available, and connecting passengers, which I would imagine would make CVG close to, if not, the #1 new station for DL to add LHR service from (unless it would be better to add frequency from another hub). This is in addition to DL now declaring LHR one of its 3 European hubs. I still feel that the route is a bit of a long-shot, but 2017 has been an interesting year already, with the Amazon and Southwest announcements, who knows what is next :-).

CVG-CDG appears to be doing abnormally well currently, just going by seat maps, most days are seeing high 80's to mid 90's load factors. Of course these are not 100% accurate, but it gives a good estimate.

I'm not sure what delta can use, but I think a daily 752 to LHR would be very successful on delta. I spoke to a CVG dispatcher and he has heard the rumors so possibly sheds more light on this?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos