Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman

Re: Pacific Islands Aviation Thread

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:53 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Anyone know if the runway at FUN ( Funafuti, Tuvalu ) is long enough to handle a fully loaded B737 or A320 ? I see that Fiji Airways is using an ATR 72 these days.

I don't think it is. When I flew in there on the Embraer Brasilia, we sure used up almost all of the runway returning tu Suva. And even if it was, you do know that that runway also doubles as the football field, as well as that for a local ball game (the name of which now escapes me)? We stayed at a guesthouse just next to the terminal, and a siren goes off every time (that's 2 or 3 times per week) that a plane is inbound, players leave the runway, children and adults alike flock to the sides of the runway to watch the landing and takeoff. No fence, no nothing. Really old world charm. So, apart from the length of the runway, Foreign Object Ingestion would be a huge problem for the planes you mentioned. And the population of the entire country of Tuvalu is 11000, that of Funafuti (the main island where the capital and airport is) is roughly 7000. Most dirt poor. Extremely limited hotel facilities. Why would you need a B737 or A320?

Yes, I know. Today Fiji Airways use the ATR 72-600 to Tuvalu. I was thinking since Fiji Airways use the Boeing 737-800 to Tarawa, Kiribati they could if the runway at Tuvalu was long enough use the Boeing 737 on a milk route between Suva - Funafuti - Tarawa - Kiritimati and back, like United is using the B737 between the islands of the Federated States of Micronesia

MalevTU134

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Mortyman wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Anyone know if the runway at FUN ( Funafuti, Tuvalu ) is long enough to handle a fully loaded B737 or A320 ? I see that Fiji Airways is using an ATR 72 these days.

I don't think it is. When I flew in there on the Embraer Brasilia, we sure used up almost all of the runway returning tu Suva. And even if it was, you do know that that runway also doubles as the football field, as well as that for a local ball game (the name of which now escapes me)? We stayed at a guesthouse just next to the terminal, and a siren goes off every time (that's 2 or 3 times per week) that a plane is inbound, players leave the runway, children and adults alike flock to the sides of the runway to watch the landing and takeoff. No fence, no nothing. Really old world charm. So, apart from the length of the runway, Foreign Object Ingestion would be a huge problem for the planes you mentioned. And the population of the entire country of Tuvalu is 11000, that of Funafuti (the main island where the capital and airport is) is roughly 7000. Most dirt poor. Extremely limited hotel facilities. Why would you need a B737 or A320?

Yes, I know. Today Fiji Airways use the ATR 72-600 to Tuvalu. I was thinking since Fiji Airways use the Boeing 737-800 to Tarawa, Kiribati they could if the runway at Tuvalu was long enough use the Boeing 737 on a milk route between Suva - Funafuti - Tarawa - Kiritimati and back, like United is using the B737 between the islands of the Federated States of Micronesia

You tell me... 5000 feet long. Rated for 20 tons landing. Will be rerated after being repaved in 2015. Really hot but not high (Wiki says 3m above sea level, but I doubt that, as the highest point in the entire country of Tuvalu is 1.5 m above sea level...)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funafut ... al_Airport

MalevTU134

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

This is one of the most interesting posts that I have read in a while! Thanks for it!

A semi-related question; how does freight get to Funafuti? I assume sea access is readily available to the island, and perhaps that would be a 'cheaper' option for a passenger wishing to get to the island. That said, getting there quickly (and associated 'highly perishable' items such as medical supplies, freight for local businesses/government etc) must come at a premium. Is it all done with the Brasilia (and, if you don't mind my asking - how many frequencies are there weekly/daily?)? I see your point, that FOD (and lack of a likely proper maintenance facility on ground to handle something as large as, or keep parts for - 737s and A320s) but moreover, lack of demand - renders the jets profitable in this situation. A well amortized Brasilia (by now...) is a decently capable aircraft and if done efficiently - could be a capable answer to this population's needs. At the scale you have stated, I could see how even moving to an ATR, or a Dash-8 (and the associated costs those aircraft, despite the capacity increase...) might place an unbearable pressure on the performance of the route.

Thank you!
A lot of your questions are answered here:

viasa

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 am

Any news about Captain Cook Airline? This company popped up about a year ago, but nothing heard since: http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... w-start-up

Mortyman

Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:10 pm

viasa wrote:
Any news about Captain Cook Airline? This company popped up about a year ago, but nothing heard since: http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... w-start-up

Interesting ... How will Air Rarotonga fare in a market With competition ... ?

Mortyman

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Air Rarotonga:

New jet boosts ability to save people in a medical emergency

People suffering a medical emergency in the outer Cook Islands are soon to have an added level of security when Air Rarotonga’s new jet takes off.

The Cessna Citation II arrived on Rarotonga last week and is currently awaiting final sign-off from the New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority.

He says the airline is going to work with the hospital to roll out a much improved medivac capability for local retrievals and then develop the capability to take people to Auckland as well.

“It takes about 30 minutes to transform the plane from corporate aircraft to air ambulance.”

An emergency flight to Auckland in the Citation II – which cruises at about 370 knots (760km/h) - would take about 5.5 hours. While the medivac service is an important one, on the commercial side the new aircraft will allow Air Rarotonga to go into the previously unchartered territory of jet charters.

“We are setting up a corporate jet charter service for the northern group and the Pacific region. It will be out to Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga and Niue.

That will be our principal area of operation.”

http://www.cookislandsnews.com/national ... -emergency

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 am

Fiji and India renew air agreement after 43 years

Fiji and India have signed a new Air Services Agreement, replacing one reached between both countries in 1974.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... r-43-years

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:21 am

Solomon Airlines suspends another domestic service

Landowner disputes have forced Solomon Islands national airline to suspend its domestic service to Santa Cruz in the easternmost province of Temotu.

The suspension of the twice weekly service began on Monday effectively cutting off the Santa Cruz group, which takes weeks to reach by ship.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ic-service

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Talofa flights to Tonga scheduled for this month

Apia-based Talofa Airways has confirmed direct flights to Tonga from American Samoa and Samoa will be launched at the end of the month.

The fights will operate on Mondays and Friday from Fagali'i Airport to Tongatapu.

The flights from Pago Pago International Airport in American Samoa will operate on Sundays and Thursdays local time.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... this-month

V/F

c933103

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:23 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

You tell me... 5000 feet long. Rated for 20 tons landing. Will be rerated after being repaved in 2015. Really hot but not high (Wiki says 3m above sea level, but I doubt that, as the highest point in the entire country of Tuvalu is 1.5 m above sea level...)

The runway length is about the same as LCY so an A318 should be able to use the airport? Not sure about 737-side...and the sea level value could possibly due to different measuring standard like gobal average according to gps or something? just guessing
As for foreign oject injection... wprst case scenario, a 732 with gravel kit installed?

MalevTU134

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:32 am

c933103 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

The runway length is about the same as LCY so an A318 should be able to use the airport? Not sure about 737-side...and the sea level value could possibly due to different measuring standard like gobal average according to gps or something? just guessing
As for foreign oject injection... wprst case scenario, a 732 with gravel kit installed?

Hang on...you seriously suggest that some poor airline in the Pacific get a 732 with gravel kit to serve an airport in the middle of the ocean that serves 7000 people, most of which will never ever be able to fly...and when the problem isn't even gravel but sneakers and the odd ball lying on the runway after a good ball game? :roll:

c933103

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 pm

ah well... that is not really particle ... but what is the ability for a 732 with gravel kit in this environment against foreign object injection, and its effect on runway payload?

On the other hand.. in the past few decades, there are numerous proposals regarding how to provide air service to Ogasawara Islands (Bonin Islands)... One of the recent study include four proposals, 1. Flying boat service from Tokyo, 2. Helicopter from Iwo Jima and then transfer to jets there, 3. Build an airport that can accommodate props on the main island, 4. Build an airport that can accomodate jet on a remote island and then connect via ships... The problem with proposal 3 and 4 are the cost to construct the airfield and effect on environment, problem with transfer at Iwo jima is require approval from SDF and US military, and for flying boat it would also need to setup a water airport which would incur some effect on environment, and additional works would be needed to adopt a flying boat for civilian use as well as clarifying the regulations in operation of water airport as well as flying boats within Japan
Given the capability of modern VTOL aircrafts, would it be better to use VTOL aircrafts to serve the islands instead of those aforementioned other proposals?

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:36 pm

CNMI suspends new flights to cope with record arrivals

The Northern Marianas has announced it will not put on additional international flights over the next two months as the numbers of tourists arriving in the territory continue to soar.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... d-arrivals

V/F

KanaHawaii

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 am

The history of South and Central Pacific civil aviation has taken many twists and turns, with a number of players coming into the market only to find out that making money on any one route is difficult. I know that PanAm at one point had an extensive operation that connected larger locals such as Tahiti and Pago Pago as part of a overall network connecting the region to the United States in various forms - LAX, HNL, etc. American Airlines tried to get in on this in the mid '70s with South Pacific service being awarded to it - only for the routes to be sold in bulk to PanAm.

In the 80's, you find people like George Wray of American Samoa trying to connect the islands and the United States through SPIA. Mid Pacific Air contracted a Arrow 707 for HNL-PPG service that came and went quickly. Hawaiian picked up South Pacific routes when SPIA finally ended operations. Even Air Niugini with some second hand 707's tried their hand in POM-United States ops with their Honolulu flights that came and went from 1979-1983(?)

And still no one was able to truly grab a majority. This, all of course, is separate from the Air Mike - Continental operation that seems to be the only one that, to this day, has a good chunk of the market in key places along the Central Pacific Belt from Los Angeles to Guam.

Now you see a hodgepodge of operators doing different routes, and eking out out a profit. Fiji Air for instance. Of course you have the black holes that never seem to make a profit but, surprise, they are still in business - Air Tahiti Nui. And then you have Hawaiian where they price their flights to the point where their profit margin is dependent on how to redistribute weight on their flights.

But still, the flights go on.

eta unknown

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:47 am

Motorhussy wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Inter-Samoa air traffic soars
1:05 pm on 20 December 2016

Polynesian Airlines has increased flights between the Samoas to 14 per day, almost double its normal schedule.

The airline is operating three Twin Otter aircraft to service the inter Samoa route as well as flights to Tau and Olosega, Manu'a

Full story: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ffic-soars

Interesting to see the article suggests a lot of the traffic is people connecting to the Fiji Airways service to Honolulu.

V/F

Also interesting is that Aumua Amata Radewagen, American Samoa's Republican congresswoman, has failed to get ongoing cabotage rights for these flights and PH (Polynesian) has to apply for monthly (possibly bi-monthly) waivers.

I think it's bi-monthly waivers if not longer. I remember reading PH would not agree to operate these flights if they had to apply every month as it would be too risky to re-allocate the aircraft on such short notice.

WPvsMW

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:16 am

@KanaHawaii.... nice historical POV.

eta unknown

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:43 am

KanaHawaii wrote:
The history of South and Central Pacific civil aviation has taken many twists and turns, with a number of players coming into the market only to find out that making money on any one route is difficult. I know that PanAm at one point had an extensive operation that connected larger locals such as Tahiti and Pago Pago as part of a overall network connecting the region to the United States in various forms - LAX, HNL, etc. American Airlines tried to get in on this in the mid '70s with South Pacific service being awarded to it - only for the routes to be sold in bulk to PanAm.

In the 80's, you find people like George Wray of American Samoa trying to connect the islands and the United States through SPIA. Mid Pacific Air contracted a Arrow 707 for HNL-PPG service that came and went quickly. Hawaiian picked up South Pacific routes when SPIA finally ended operations. Even Air Niugini with some second hand 707's tried their hand in POM-United States ops with their Honolulu flights that came and went from 1979-1983(?)

And still no one was able to truly grab a majority. This, all of course, is separate from the Air Mike - Continental operation that seems to be the only one that, to this day, has a good chunk of the market in key places along the Central Pacific Belt from Los Angeles to Guam.

Now you see a hodgepodge of operators doing different routes, and eking out out a profit. Fiji Air for instance. Of course you have the black holes that never seem to make a profit but, surprise, they are still in business - Air Tahiti Nui. And then you have Hawaiian where they price their flights to the point where their profit margin is dependent on how to redistribute weight on their flights.

But still, the flights go on.

Air Marshall Islands DC-8 combi and Air Tungaru 727-100, anyone?

KanaHawaii

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:59 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Air Marshall Islands DC-8 combi and Air Tungaru 727-100, anyone?

Funny you should mention Air Tungaru. Back in 1981 I think, they were named "Air Kiribati" and was kinda a big deal when they started service to Hawaii from Majuro. Then, with the same motif, the airline changed names to Air Tungaru.

But here is another "wow" reference - the Philippine-registered Boeing 707 that was flown under the name "Samoa Air". Of course there was also the DC-10 ops of "Aloha Pacific" which was Aloha's first foray into non-interisland operations that flopped within a year. Surprisingly Aloha eked out a profit in 1985 through the sale of the DC-10. Sometimes airplanes do appreciate in value depending on time.

KanaHawaii

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:02 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
@KanaHawaii.... nice historical POV.

Thank you, my references were all first hand observations of operations at HNL. A family member was an executive of airlines out at HNL during the 80's and I got the chance to hang with them during these various times. In fact I was able to fly on that exact Air Niugini flight in Nov. 1979 from HNL to POM. Going to that part of the world, for anyone, was a adventure of a lifetime.

WPvsMW

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 am

If you haven't read it, you would enjoy Wings of Paradise.
https://www.amazon.com/Wings-Paradise-H ... 0970159447
The timeline in the book ends before AQ's bankruptcy.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Plane forced down in West Papua
3:39 pm on 19 June 2017

A plane transporting police and election organisers was forced to land in Indonesia's Papua region after it was hit by gunfire on Friday during local elections.

The Jakarta Globe reports the light aircraft operated by Susi Air made an emergency landing at Kota Mulia Airport in the district of Puncak Jaya.

Full story: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... west-papua

V/F

TWFlyGuy

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:19 pm

I was in Bora Bora (BOB) in 2012 and I swore they were planning to make some improvements to the terminal to throw it back to when it was the gateway to Polynesia. Anyone else hear this or know if they have done any work?

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:02 am

Norfolk Island Airlines commenced services on the Brisbane-Norfolk Island-Auckland route on 17 June.

The once-weekly services are being operated using a Boeing 737-300 wet-leased from Nauru Airlines.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... es-438349/

V/F

ZK-NBT

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:51 pm

https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... 87s-351172

Interesting given they had 787's in order and decided to go with the A330 of which they have 3 A332 and 1 A333, there was talk at one point of another A333, any updates on that? They ordered 5 737-8MAX a while ago to mainly replace the 5 current 737's.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Fresh court bid over 2007 Air Moorea crash

A renewed effort is being made in French Polynesia to take aviation officials to court over the Air Moorea crash ten years ago which killed 20 people.

The Twin Otter fell into the sea after take-off from Moorea for a short flight to Tahiti.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... orea-crash

V/F

CB80Scania

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:33 am

Which month of this year is the Air Niugini 787-8 due for delivery? So far I haven't heard anything about it being built.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:38 am

CB80Scania wrote:
Which month of this year is the Air Niugini 787-8 due for delivery? So far I haven't heard anything about it being built.

There's an excellent resource at the All Things 787 blog which lists the firing order of the production line: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

At the moment this has aircraft in the firing order up to deliver in mid-2018, and I can't see any sign of Air Niugini sadly, so I'm not sure what the story is, other than to say it appears they won't be getting a 787 from Boeing during the next 12 months.

V/F

CB80Scania

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:43 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
CB80Scania wrote:

There's an excellent resource at the All Things 787 blog which lists the firing order of the production line: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

At the moment this has aircraft in the firing order up to deliver in mid-2018, and I can't see any sign of Air Niugini sadly, so I'm not sure what the story is, other than to say it appears they won't be getting a 787 from Boeing during the next 12 months.

V/F

Thanks for the link! I might track the progress of the new Qantas 787s using that.

I'm definitely confused regarding the Air Niugini 787. Maybe they swapped it for some of the new 737MAX aircraft they ordered recently.
I see they have an Icelandair 767-300 operating for them and Icelandair also have a single 787-8 on order too! Maybe that was going to be the replacement aircraft for the leased 767-300. Anyway, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:12 am

CB80Scania wrote:
Thanks for the link! I might track the progress of the new Qantas 787s using that.

I'm definitely confused regarding the Air Niugini 787. Maybe they swapped it for some of the new 737MAX aircraft they ordered recently.

You're welcome :-)

According to Boeing's orders and deliveries page Air Niugini still have 1 787-8 on order, along with 4 737 MAXs, so it hasn't been swapped, at least not yet.

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:39 am

Tokelau chopper deal linked to Samoa's Polynesian Airlines
2:07 pm on 23 June 2017

Documents show Tokelau's controversial helicopter buy was part of a proposed deal with Polynesian Airlines to run air services from Samoa to the New Zealand territory.

Earlier this year it emerged the territory had purchased two helicopters as part of an interim air service without consulting the New Zealand government.

Full story: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... n-airlines

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:43 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
CNMI suspends new flights to cope with record arrivals

The Northern Marianas has announced it will not put on additional international flights over the next two months as the numbers of tourists arriving in the territory continue to soar.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... d-arrivals

An update on this situation:

Beijing Airlines now allowed to fly to Saipan
2:40 pm on 27 June 2017

Beijing Airlines can now launch its inaugural flight to Saipan in the Northern Marianas after the Commonwealth Ports Authority lifted its 60-day moratorium on new flights.

It had imposed the restriction because of a belief that the soaring tourism industry was placing stress on accommodation and other infrastructure in the territory.

With the lifting of the moratorium, Beijing Airlines has now dropped a lawsuit against the Authority and its chief executive.

Article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -to-saipan

V/F

QANTAS747-438

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:55 am

KanaHawaii wrote:
And then you have Hawaiian where they price their flights to the point where their profit margin is dependent on how to redistribute weight on their flights. .

What do you mean by this?

KanaHawaii

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 pm

QANTAS747-438 wrote:
KanaHawaii wrote:
And then you have Hawaiian where they price their flights to the point where their profit margin is dependent on how to redistribute weight on their flights. .

Didn't you hear the news about a year ago where they were contemplating weighing passengers on the HNL-PPG runs because of weight issues. I remember in the articles they talked about having to redistribute passenger loads on the planes in order to meet balance issues related. This issue would not be a big deal unless Hawaiian was measuring to the drop the amount of fuel they used on these runs, therefore needing to find "unique" ways to either save or not need to fuel, more, their planes for this run. Thus the comment.

ha763

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:09 am

KanaHawaii wrote:
QANTAS747-438 wrote:
KanaHawaii wrote:

Didn't you hear the news about a year ago where they were contemplating weighing passengers on the HNL-PPG runs because of weight issues. I remember in the articles they talked about having to redistribute passenger loads on the planes in order to meet balance issues related. This issue would not be a big deal unless Hawaiian was measuring to the drop the amount of fuel they used on these runs, therefore needing to find "unique" ways to either save or not need to fuel, more, their planes for this run. Thus the comment.

It was a safety issue with the floor weight limit. The FAA increased the average pax weights and HA did a study on different routes to see if any flights were above or below the new average weights. They found that they were burning more fuel than expected on the PPG route due to the average weights were 30 lbs. higher than the new weights averages. This means that in case of an accident, there exists the possibility of exceeding the floor weight limit if every seat in a row was occupied by an adult. Hence, the assigning seats at the airport to ensure seats are left empty or occupied by children. There is no more weighing of pax as HA has increased the average weight on the flight.

jlaforteza

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:46 am

So glad to see this afternoon HK Express make a come back to Guam after leaving us in June. The flights start late October. Hopefully adding a stop in Nagoya helps, though I will say, the few times I flew them when it was a GUM-HKG-GUM flight, it was pretty full. Some good promos, but as of now, can't buy a ticket from Guam through to HKG, yet.

http://www.kuam.com/story/36027826/2017 ... goya-japan

Still waiting on Nauru Airlines service to Guam though. Service was supposed to start in the spring. It'll be a nice addition to the monopoly United has on the island hopper.

Might be exciting times ahead for us in Guam. Hopefully flights to Southeast Asia or to Australia are not far behind.

c933103

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Last week, after 7 years, the city of Tokyo and the village of Ogasawara started another round of discussion with about establishment of air service between Ogasawara(Bonin) Islands and the Japanese mainland. (Ogasawara is governed by the city of Tokyo). The preferred proposal by the city of Tokyo is to construct a 1200m runway on the western side of the Chichijima which can support the use of props carrying ~50 passengers, but it would require cutting off mountains and filling the sea which would cause great damage to the surronding environment. In the meeting it have been discussed about possibility of reducing the damage by reducing runway length or changing equipment.

Alternatively, proposally about transferring via Iwo Jima from jet aircrafts to helicopter, as well as direct connection using flying boat is also considered, however there are lots of difficulty in those proposals and an airport on Chichijima is still the prioritized direction to discuss. The governor for the village of Ogasawara hoped that some sort of directions can be formed by the June of next year when it's the 50th anniversary of the islands' return to Japan

jlaforteza

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 am

Has anyone here heard of or know anything about Nauru Airlines when they might start services to Guam? I haven't heard anything since April about it. On their website, the map does show Guam as a destination, but as of now, it is not showing up on the booking menu.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 pm

New airline planned for French Polynesia

Reports from French Polynesia say plans are afoot to launch a new domestic airline.

Tahiti media said New Caledonia-based businessman Bill Ravel was, this week, expected to lodge an application to set up an airline called Islands.

Mr Ravel, who founded Air Calin and Air Vanuatu, is reportedly planning to get two Embraer aircraft and fly to the territory's five archipelagos.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -polynesia

Here's the article from Radio 1: https://www.radio1.pf/bill-ravel-veut-l ... -au-fenua/
A brief excerpt:
L’homme d’affaires et patron de Pétrocéan, Bill Ravel, va déposer cette semaine une demande d’autorisation de licence pour une compagnie aérienne domestique concurrente d’Air Tahiti en Polynésie française. La compagnie, déjà baptisée « Islands », prévoit d’affréter deux Embraer 175 pour desservir les cinq archipels à des prix « 15 à 20% » moins chers qu’Air Tahiti.

Mr Ravel's plans for an airline in French Polynesia have been in the works for many years; it will be interesting to see where this leads.

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Norfolk airline ends Auckland flight after three months

A Norfolk Island company that started an airlink to the island from Auckland just three months ago has stopped the service.

Norfolk Island Airlines withdrew because of increased costs.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ree-months

The picture in the article is a bit off - the 737-200 was flown by OzJet for the previous operator Norfolk Air, which later used an Nauru Air Corporation 737-300 until the service was taken over by Air New Zealand in 2012. This newer Norfolk Island Airlines again used a Nauru Air Corporation 737-300.

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Here's something which came up last week during the Pacific Islands Forum meeting:

Gerry Brownlee
8 SEPTEMBER, 2017
NZ boosts support for Pacific aviation security

Foreign Minister Gerry Brownlee has announced New Zealand will provide $11.5 million for aviation security in the Pacific, to support trade, tourism and the safety of the travelling public, most of which are New Zealand citizens.

“Pacific island countries must meet global aviation safety and security standards, and this funding will provide passenger and baggage screening equipment that will help them to meet those standards,” Mr Brownlee says.

“The aviation package of equipment and training will benefit nine countries over the next five years, and builds on our existing $2.5 million programme to help Pacific island countries to meet their international aviation regulatory obligations.

“As aviation security requirements are regularly increased, upgrades to security processes and screening equipment are necessary.

“The new security package will be provided to signatories of the Pacific Island Civil Aviation Safety and Security Treaty, which include Niue, the Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Samoa and Nauru,” Mr Brownlee says.

New Zealand’s aviation support to the Pacific is implemented by the Civil Aviation Authority New Zealand in cooperation with the Pacific Aviation Safety Office.

https://beehive.govt.nz/release/nz-boos ... n-security

V/F

c933103

HK Express delay Guam's flight launch date for "Geopolitic" reason

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 am

The carrier was going to launch the route from this October by using the fifth freedom right to go from Hong Kong via Nagoya to Guam. The carrier previously offered flights to Guam but was cancelled in less than half year's time, before this via-Nagoya service was announced.
The carrier said on official site that they are " looking to resume the service next year during the summer holiday period."
Travellers can either choose full refund, select a new destination, or if the travellers were to be travel from Guam/Hong Kong then they can transfer to UA flight for free if seats are available (the option is missing from the Japanese version of the announcement)
The announcement does not make clear about what sort of geopolitical concern they are having, but perhaps that's for the North Korean missile threat
In Japan, it seems like several schools have cancelled their planned trip for Guam because of the threat.
In the mid-August travel season this year, number of visitors from Japan to Guam have reduced by 8%, although the percentage of reduction is less than US as a whole which is 10%
Carrier Announcement: http://www.hkexpress.com/en-us/important-travel-notice

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Work on the runway at Vanuatu's main airport to start

The reconstruction of the runway at Vanuatu's main airport is set to get underway, with key machinery and equipment finally arriving in Port Vila from China last week.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... t-to-start

V/F

c933103

Re: HK Express delay Guam's flight launch date for "Geopolitic" reason

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:25 am

Original title for the post, before moving into this thread, was:
c933103 wrote:
The carrier was going to launch the route from this October by using the fifth freedom right to go from Hong Kong via Nagoya to Guam. The carrier previously offered flights to Guam but was cancelled in less than half year's time, before this via-Nagoya service was announced.
The carrier said on official site that they are " looking to resume the service next year during the summer holiday period."
Travellers can either choose full refund, select a new destination, or if the travellers were to be travel from Guam/Hong Kong then they can transfer to UA flight for free if seats are available (the option is missing from the Japanese version of the announcement)
The announcement does not make clear about what sort of geopolitical concern they are having, but perhaps that's for the North Korean missile threat
In Japan, it seems like several schools have cancelled their planned trip for Guam because of the threat.
In the mid-August travel season this year, number of visitors from Japan to Guam have reduced by 8%, although the percentage of reduction is less than US as a whole which is 10%

jlaforteza wrote:
I had lamented the fact that ....
Last edited by c933103 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

USAOZ

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:46 am

AF022 wrote:
Is Polynesian Blue or Virgin Samoa or whatever its called still operating?

Rumour from very reliable source that seasonal direct usato australia flights are being seriously looked at right now via a mystery pacific island

WPvsMW

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 am

My first guess is... FJ.

c933103

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 am

Isn't Virgin's Samoan airlines supposed to be in operation till November?

LamboAston

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:41 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Tokelau chopper deal linked to Samoa's Polynesian Airlines
2:07 pm on 23 June 2017

Documents show Tokelau's controversial helicopter buy was part of a proposed deal with Polynesian Airlines to run air services from Samoa to the New Zealand territory.

Earlier this year it emerged the territory had purchased two helicopters as part of an interim air service without consulting the New Zealand government.

Full story: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... n-airlines

V/F

Any word on what type of helis they had? I couldn't find anything

jlaforteza

Re: HK Express delay Guam's flight launch date for "Geopolitic" reason

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:22 am

c933103 wrote:
Original title for the post, before moving into this thread, was:
c933103 wrote:

jlaforteza wrote:
I had lamented the fact that ....

It's a good thing I didn't take advantage of their offer in August when they originally planned to launch the flights.

c933103

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 am

p.s. a correction: the free rebooking on UA flight only apply to customers flying from HK, not Japan nor Guam

jlaforteza

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:40 am

It's a tough time for Guam tourism as the market is suffering from these lingering North Korea threats, high costs and visa issues. The already weakening Japanese tourist market is already suffering, over 7000 cancellations. GVB is really banking on the Korean tourism market. Perhaps some of the other Asian LCC's might look to fill some of the void. Maybe something from Taiwan or Jetstar or Air Asia could help fill the void.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos