Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QF1607

Re: Pacific Islands Aviation Thread

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
This must be one of the most challenging regions in the World in which to operate profitably, due to small markets and populations, and long distances. Except for Hawaii, Guam and maybe Fiji, are there any markets/destinations/airports that operate on a purely commercial basis, without subsidies? Heck, even Tahiti is struggling to maintain air service (Ok, maybe the service itself isn't in danger, but TN has been struggling since its inception, unless I'm mistaken). Is AirNiugini posting profits? Aircalin?

Air Tahiti Nui should start recording higher profits and reporting lower losses soon when they add the 787 to the fleet and replace the A340's

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 am

LamboAston wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Tokelau chopper deal linked to Samoa's Polynesian Airlines
2:07 pm on 23 June 2017

Documents show Tokelau's controversial helicopter buy was part of a proposed deal with Polynesian Airlines to run air services from Samoa to the New Zealand territory.

Earlier this year it emerged the territory had purchased two helicopters as part of an interim air service without consulting the New Zealand government.

Full story: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... n-airlines

V/F

Any word on what type of helis they had? I couldn't find anything

According to this, Bell 212s: http://www.tewahanui.nz/politics/tokela ... -transport

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Air Vanuatu's board of directors has been sacked: http://dailypost.vu/news/air-vanuatu-bo ... 914c4.html

V/F

mercure1

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm

QF1607 wrote:
Air Tahiti Nui should start recording higher profits and reporting lower losses soon when they add the 787 to the fleet and replace the A340's

TN has been profitable last 3 years. Just recently published its 2016 figures - XPF 4.6bil / EUR 38.5m profit.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 pm

An update on Samoa Airways:

Samoa Airways set Nov 14 for inaugural flights
(M.P.M.C. Press Secretary); Samoa Airways will make her international debut to Auckland from Faleolo on November 14th, the Minister responsible for Polynesian Airlines Lautafi Fio Selafi Purcell has confirmed.
The 737-800 leased from Iceland Air is schedule to arrive on Sunday November 12th with the following day set aside for the christening formalities before Samoa Airways makes her inaugural flight on Tuesday November 14th.
The aircraft has a seating capacity for 172 seating capacity including 8 in the business class.
She will also have its logo painted on it when she arrives, says Lautafi.
“As advertised, Samoa Airways will have 6 flights a week between Auckland and Faleolo and twice a week between Faleolo and Sydney,” elaborated the Minister.
“We will launch our new national carrier brand with our range of meaalofa fares already on the market (with meals included) for these destinations before we advertise the regular fairs which I can safely say are more affordable compared to the fares now.”
“And the down the line we hope to lease or acquire a 737-MAX aircraft by 2019 to expand Samoa Airways services to other destinations such as Melbourne and Brisbane in Australia.”
Lautafi says that the initial lease agreement with Iceland Air is a wet lease that includes pilots and stewards for the aircraft.
But the tentative plan is for a dry lease on the long run which will see Samoa Airways outfitting the airlines with their own pilots and supporting staff.
“So far everything is falling in place as we look forward to the return of our new branded national carrier to international services as planned,” the Minister concluded.

https://www.facebook.com/samoagovt/post ... 9131934436

Interestingly Radio New Zealand is reporting that they are looking at the 777, but it seems it may be a misreading of the above press release, which talks about the 737 MAX for the time and routes RNZ is referring to:

Samoa Airways explores Boeing 777 as next plane of choice

Samoa's national airline, Samoa Airways is exploring the acquisition of the world's largest twin jet airplane, the Boeing 777, as it's next plane of choice.

In a press release, the Minister responsible for Polynesian Airlines, Lautafi Fio Selafi Purcell indicated the airline will introduce the state of the art aircraft within a couple of years.

He said they hope to lease or acquire it by 2019 to expand Samoa Airways services to other destinations such as Melbourne and Brisbane.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -of-choice

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Meanwhile in New Caledonia:

Strike forces cancellation of New Caledonia flight

A strike by some pilots has forced New Caledonia's international carrier to cancel Thursday's return flight from Noumea to Sydney.

Full article: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... nia-flight

More information in French:
Grève d'un syndicat de pilotes : la liaison vers Sydney annulée

Le vol Aircalin au départ et à destination de Sydney, ce jeudi matin a été annulé en raison d'une grève initiée par l'UNAC, affilié à la CFE-CGC, indique la compagnie aérienne dans un communiqué diffusé ce jeudi matin.

Aircalin n'a pu anticiper cette annulation car, explique la compagnie, « les personnels peuvent se déclarer grévistes au moment de leur prise de service ». Une situation que Aircalin dit « regretter vis-à-vis de ses clients ».

Full article: http://www.lnc.nc/breve/greve-d-un-synd ... ey-annulee

Another article from today with some more information, and noting that no further flights are expected to be affected: http://www.lnc.nc/article/pays/social/a ... ls-annules

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 pm

For those following this thread who may not yet have seen it, there is now a Hawaiian Aviation Thread

Which raises the question, when 2018 rolls around would people prefer to keep a single Pacific Islands Aviation thread, or create a few specific ones for each country that warrants it (for instance I don't think there will be a need of a Pitcairn Island thread!)

V/F

LamboAston

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
For those following this thread who may not yet have seen it, there is now a Hawaiian Aviation Thread

Which raises the question, when 2018 rolls around would people prefer to keep a single Pacific Islands Aviation thread, or create a few specific ones for each country that warrants it (for instance I don't think there will be a need of a Pitcairn Island thread!)

V/F

I would prefer a single thread

MalevTU134

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 am

LamboAston wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

I'm looking forward to the "Rest of Tuvalu - Part 6" thread... :roll:

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:05 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
LamboAston wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

Just wait till you see the action in the Niue thread...!

(Fun fact on Niue... the ICAO code for the airport is... NIUE)

V/F

aerokiwi

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 am

If Samoa goes 777 I can see this little operation wound up in about 2 years. Let's hope it's a misreport.

Yeah definitely keep it a single thread.

Still no indication as to why the Vanuatu board was sacked? I'm assuming it's a patronage arrangement as is so often the case with, ermmm, the region and their respective airlines.

planemanofnz

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:37 am

Hi all,

For those interested, we have been discussing some route opportunities from Auckland to the Pacific Islands in the New Zealand Aviation Thread, including:

- Suva
Fiji Airways already fly several times a week from Suva to Auckland, but Air New Zealand could be interested in this route too. More higher-yielding traffic to Fiji would likely be routed through Suva (the commercial hub in Fiji) as opposed to Nadi (Fiji's tourism hub). Connecting traffic might also be a competitive factor for Air New Zealand, with many Australian banks like ANZ, based in Melbourne (for whom Auckland would be a better transit stop than Sydney or Nadi, offering an international-international connection), operating throughout Fiji.

- Aitutaki
This is Air New Zealand's only secondary code-share destination in the Pacific Islands. The demand for travel to Aitutaki is there, as 1 in 5 international visitors to the Cook Islands visits Aitutaki. A service to Aitutaki could distinguish Air New Zealand from Virgin Australia and Jetstar, and would be consistent with the local Chamber of Commerce's desires. However, it was suggested that Aitutaki is currently only capable of handling 737-300s, and not A320-200s (with turnaround and apron space being more of an issue than runway length).

- Pago Pago
Services between Auckland and Apia are booming, with Air New Zealand boosting many of its flights next year to 787 equipment, and Virgin Australia having applied to maintain its current offering on the route, despite the imminent arrival of Samoa Airways to Auckland in November. Air New Zealand might open Pago Pago, to better compete against Samoa Airways. However, there is one issue - a shortage of hotel rooms. Supposedly, American Samoa are going to restore the old Rainmaker Hotel, but this is still a work in progress.

- Honiara / Port Moresby
International tourism to Papua New Guinea seems to be on the rise (see the link below). Aid and diplomatic-related traffic also exist, as do significant cargo-related opportunities. Air Niugini had been rumoured on this site to be looking at Auckland, but to date, nothing further has been heard on this. One option might be to create a triangular Auckland - Honiara - Port Moresby - Auckland routing. Both Port Moresby and Honiara have direct flights to Brisbane and Sydney, but none to Auckland.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Separately, there is an interesting development to develop air links between the Cook Islands, French Polynesia and Samoa.

"The Cook Islands finance minister Mark Brown said the initiative was part of the One Polynesia approach of doing business to ease financial burdens on Polynesian countries."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... link-boost.

TWFlyGuy wrote:
I was in Bora Bora (BOB) in 2012 and I swore they were planning to make some improvements to the terminal to throw it back to when it was the gateway to Polynesia. Anyone else hear this or know if they have done any work?

I have not heard about this, but it is nevertheless encouraging that Air Tahiti brought back international flights between Bora Bora and the Cook Islands in July and August.

See: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... e-in-3q17/.

Bora Bora Airport's runway length will be an issue for any further development - at only 1,500 m, most international jet services remain unviable.

VirginFlyer wrote:
According to Boeing's orders and deliveries page Air Niugini still have 1 787-8 on order, along with 4 737 MAXs, so it hasn't been swapped, at least not yet.

Will they use the range of their MAX fleet to expand to new destinations, like Auckland and Melbourne?

There were rumours here recently that they were considering Auckland, but I believe Port Moresby - Auckland would be restricted on a non-MAX 737.

Tourism to Papua New Guinea appears to be doing well, of late (see: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... 00m-in-png).

MalevTU134 wrote:
LamboAston wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

Be careful what you wish for - there are actually some developments in Tuvalu aviation this week!

"Fiji Airways passengers travelling to Funafuti in Tuvalu may experience disruptions to their flight and could be denied boarding. The FBC said this was due to the lack of fuel in Tuvalu."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... lu-flights.

Does anyone know why the Samoan government chose not to invest in Polynesian Airlines' brand as the platform to re-start flights to Auckland and Sydney?

Why are they using "Samoa Airways?"

Finally, does anyone know how Air Vanuatu's Santo - Brisbane flights are doing?

I wonder if they would ever consider adding Santo - Sydney or Santo - Auckland, to further spread the economic benefits of tourism outside of Port Vila.

Cheers,

C.

Mortyman

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:58 am

planemanofnz wrote:

Separately, there is an interesting development to develop air links between the Cook Islands, French Polynesia and Samoa.

"The Cook Islands finance minister Mark Brown said the initiative was part of the One Polynesia approach of doing business to ease financial burdens on Polynesian countries."

Air Tahiti has been flying between Papeete and Rarotonga since atleast 2010

mariner

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:59 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone know why the Samoan government chose not to invest in Polynesian Airlines' brand as the platform to re-start flights to Auckland and Sydney?

Why are they using "Samoa Airways?".

They think they Polynesian Airways is not specific enough to Samoa.

The basis of the exercise is that they believe they've been dudded by both Virgin and Air NZ on the number of tourists brought to the island, that fares have been kept deliberately high and frequencies purposely low, so the airlines can make more money.

The Samoans believe that they can attract more tourists by doing it themselves and promoting the "Samoa" brand, in the same way that Air Pacific became Fiji Airways. Partly, they appear to be right. Certainly Air NZ added 13% more capacity after the Virgin kerfuffle and since Virgin is continuing to serve Samoa, then together with the Samoan Airways flights that's a decent jump in capacity.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/press-r ... amoa-route

"Air New Zealand boosts Samoa route

Air New Zealand is growing its Samoa operation with a move to widebody aircraft services at least twice weekly year-round, adding at least 14,500 extra seats between Auckland and Apia annually."

mariner

ZK-NBT

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:14 am

Next year NZ will fly up to 6 weekly 789's to APW.

ZK-NBT

Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:26 am

Qantas16

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:57 am

planemanofnz wrote:
- Honiara / Port Moresby
International tourism to Papua New Guinea seems to be on the rise (see the link below). Aid and diplomatic-related traffic also exist, as do significant cargo-related opportunities. Air Niugini had been rumoured on this site to be looking at Auckland, but to date, nothing further has been heard on this. One option might be to create a triangular Auckland - Honiara - Port Moresby - Auckland routing. Both Port Moresby and Honiara have direct flights to Brisbane and Sydney, but none to Auckland.

POM-AKL is within the range of a 73H, though given POM seems to be heavy on freight I'm not sure what the payload restrictions would be (if any). I'm not sure if the market is big enough to warrant AKL-POM direct and connections via BNE are quick and easy with VA & QF (PX to a lesser extent). Also connections possible via SYD on somedays.

As for HIR, it does not have direct flights to SYD after a short-lived venture by IE ended a couple of years ago. HIR is a much smaller market than POM though and I'd be very surprised to see AKL-HIR given BNE-HIR is barely 6x weekly between IE & VA. Connections are also possible with FJ via NAN. I think the focus for HIR should be getting at least a daily flight to BNE (between IE/VA) and then possibly looking at CNS or restarting SYD. There are closer ties to Australia here and any venture to NZ I fear would be very short lived and likely funded by a government that can't afford the money.

planemanofnz

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:55 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
POM-AKL is within the range of a 73H, though given POM seems to be heavy on freight I'm not sure what the payload restrictions would be (if any). I'm not sure if the market is big enough to warrant AKL-POM direct and connections via BNE are quick and easy with VA & QF (PX to a lesser extent). Also connections possible via SYD on somedays.

IMO, there is a market for direct flights from New Zealand (even if once a week), supported by:

- Almost 3,000 New Zealanders living in Papua New Guinea
- Papua New Guinea being New Zealand's second largest market for trade in the Pacific, after Fiji
- The re-establishment of a New Zealand Trade Commissioner position in Papua New Guinea in 2015
- Significant aid, defence and other and government-related contracts (e.g. New Zealand police operate in Bougainville)
- Growth in Papua New Guinean tourism (foreign visitor arrivals are forecast to increase by 10.7% in 2017, to 181,000)

See:

- https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-a ... ew-guinea/.
- https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/repo ... ea2017.pdf.
- http://www.oxfordbusinessgroup.com/news ... ce-markets.

If Air Niugini operate the service, they might also be able to attract some low-yielding connecting traffic to/from Asia.

Qantas16 wrote:
As for HIR, it does not have direct flights to SYD after a short-lived venture by IE ended a couple of years ago. HIR is a much smaller market than POM though and I'd be very surprised to see AKL-HIR given BNE-HIR is barely 6x weekly between IE & VA. Connections are also possible with FJ via NAN. I think the focus for HIR should be getting at least a daily flight to BNE (between IE/VA) and then possibly looking at CNS or restarting SYD. There are closer ties to Australia here and any venture to NZ I fear would be very short lived and likely funded by a government that can't afford the money.

Sydney - Honiara is currently showing as a route on the websites of:

- Honiara Airport (https://www.honiarainternational.com/flights.html)
- Solomon Airlines (http://www.flysolomons.com/plan/route-m ... nal-routes)

It was re-launched in 2015, and only temporarily suspended - not terminated - in early 2016.

See:

- https://www.ausbt.com.au/solomon-airlin ... to-honiara.
- http://www.flysolomons.com/about-solomo ... ey-service.

Regarding market potential, New Zealand's trade with the Solomon Islands (NZD 37 million - 2014) is comparable to that with Vanuatu (NZD 36.9 million - 2014), and Vanuatu supports up to 4 direct flights per week to Auckland. In addition, New Zealand is the Solomon Islands' second largest source of visitor arrivals, after Australia, and its tourism market increased by 7.3% in 2016.

I agree that the market is currently very small, but a seasonal once-weekly service to HIR might be viable - if not direct, then tagged with POM. This would stimulate further demand in the future.

See:

- https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-a ... n-islands/.
- http://www.businessadvantagepng.com/sol ... or-growth/.

mariner wrote:
The Samoans believe that they can attract more tourists by doing it themselves and promoting the "Samoa" brand, in the same way that Air Pacific became Fiji Airways. Partly, they appear to be right. Certainly Air NZ added 13% more capacity after the Virgin kerfuffle and since Virgin is continuing to serve Samoa, then together with the Samoan Airways flights that's a decent jump in capacity.

Capacity might have jumped, but what about actual ticket numbers sold?

I doubt that the market can support both Samoa Airways and Virgin Australia - Air New Zealand should be fine, with its superior product.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:10 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

IMO, there is a market for direct flights from New Zealand (even if once a week), supported by:

- Almost 3,000 New Zealanders living in Papua New Guinea
- Papua New Guinea being New Zealand's second largest market for trade in the Pacific, after Fiji
- The re-establishment of a New Zealand Trade Commissioner position in Papua New Guinea in 2015
- Significant aid, defence and other and government-related contracts (e.g. New Zealand police operate in Bougainville)
- Growth in Papua New Guinean tourism (foreign visitor arrivals are forecast to increase by 10.7% in 2017, to 181,000)

If Air Niugini operate the service, they might also be able to attract some low-yielding connecting traffic to/from Asia.

But what is the point of a once a week service? It's expensive to operate such a venture and unlikely to return any profit? Also, the majority of those passengers will travel to POM irrelevant of direct flights or not so it's arguable whether it's stimulating significant passengers to justify significant cost.

planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Sydney - Honiara is currently showing as a route on the websites of:

- Honiara Airport (https://www.honiarainternational.com/flights.html)
- Solomon Airlines (http://www.flysolomons.com/plan/route-m ... nal-routes)

It was re-launched in 2015, and only temporarily suspended - not terminated - in early 2016.

Regarding market potential, New Zealand's trade with the Solomon Islands (NZD 37 million - 2014) is comparable to that with Vanuatu (NZD 36.9 million - 2014), and Vanuatu supports up to 4 direct flights per week to Auckland. In addition, New Zealand is the Solomon Islands' second largest source of visitor arrivals, after Australia, and its tourism market increased by 7.3% in 2016.

I agree that the market is currently very small, but a seasonal once-weekly service to HIR might be viable - if not direct, then tagged with POM. This would stimulate further demand in the future.

I cannot find any evidence that the service was restarted. H4-BUS (IE's sole A320) has not been to SYD within the past 2 weeks and I can't find any evidence of any recent SYD-HIR flights on Flightaware.

Vanuatu has significantly more tourism infrastructure than the Solomons though. Having been to the Solomons many times, they do not currently have any significant infrastructure for tourists. Also Vanuatu is much closer to AKL than HIR.

Again on the once weekly flights - whilst they could be able to fill it, if the passengers are going to travel anyway (but via BNE) then there is very little incentive to operate such an expensive flight. Interestingly, H4-BUS was in AKL last week (flew across from BNE) but assuming it was a charter.

ZK-NBT

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:25 am

H4-BUS IE A320, was in AKL I believe operating for SB.

PX could operate via CNS to AKL, 2-3 times weekly, PR are dropping that sector and NZ are seasonal, meaning there will be no one on it in the NW. That is low season but probably ok for a fifth freedom operator a few times a week.

IE wouldn't fly to AKL more than weekly probably, if that can stimulate the market a little maybe they will try it? A flight where the aircraft and crew overnight AKL and fly back the next day.

mariner

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:31 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Capacity might have jumped, but what about actual ticket numbers sold?

I've no idea. I don't have access to these things, especially when they haven't happened yet.

Samoa doesn't start flying until November and whether all three airlines can fill their aircraft is beyond my ability to correctly predict. I think Samoa has the hardest row to hoe because they are wet-leasing their aircraft - which is expensive with European rates of pay - and at the same time they are promising lower fares than anyone else.

I think they're in danger of repeating some of the mistakes that were made with Polynesian Airlines - a lack of economic reality.

mariner

Qantas16

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:45 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
H4-BUS IE A320, was in AKL I believe operating for SB.

PX could operate via CNS to AKL, 2-3 times weekly, PR are dropping that sector and NZ are seasonal, meaning there will be no one on it in the NW. That is low season but probably ok for a fifth freedom operator a few times a week.

IE wouldn't fly to AKL more than weekly probably, if that can stimulate the market a little maybe they will try it? A flight where the aircraft and crew overnight AKL and fly back the next day.

Would make sense, it flew a BNE-AKL-NOU-BNE rotation.

CNS-AKL maybe, but what's the incentive for passengers vs Brisbane? It would also mean they would have to upgauge CNS-POM as it's currently (mostly) F100's which couldn't do CNS-AKL. Also PR could be dropping CNS because the route is hard to make money on without feed on either end and outside of peak months.... If PX is to do AKL it should be direct and 1-2x weekly to start.

But IMHO they should be focusing on expanding SYD flights to more than 3x weekly and building up other existing destinations. They recently launched TSV which hopefully will do OK with connections to Asia.

planemanofnz

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 am

Qantas16 wrote:
But what is the point of a once a week service? It's expensive to operate such a venture and unlikely to return any profit? Also, the majority of those passengers will travel to POM irrelevant of direct flights or not so it's arguable whether it's stimulating significant passengers to justify significant cost.

Qantas16 wrote:
whilst they could be able to fill it, if the passengers are going to travel anyway (but via BNE) then there is very little incentive to operate such an expensive flight.

Why should NZ or PX be satisfied to leave the existing market to competitor connections on QF via BNE? Likewise, why should NZ or PX be satisfied to ignore New Zealand-originating opportunities regarding the significant growth in Papua New Guinean tourism and trade? If airlines always thought "what's the point," then they would simply stop growing.

Your reference to PR's AKL activities demonstrate the opportunity - the small existing market provides a platform of security with which to initiate direct flights, and as direct flights open, the market is stimulated in a way that it would not otherwise have been - PR have moved from one-stop narrow-body flights to non-stop wide-body flights in the space of 2-3 years.

I disagree that any flight would be "unlikely to return any profit" - one-stop options are currently priced at about NZD 1,000 return, while similarly distanced destinations with non-stop services are priced at the same level (PPT), or significantly less (CNS). The region is also successfully sustaining a significant number of other long and low-frequency flights - for example:

- NAN-ADL (2x weekly, FJ, 6 h 10 min)
- APW-BNE (1x weekly, VA, 5 h 50 min)
- TBU-SYD (2x weekly, VA, 5 h 30 min)
- RAR-CHC (1x weekly, seasonal, VA, 5 hr 05 min)
- SUV-SYD (2x weekly, FJ, 5 hr 05 min)

NZ would offer the only Star Alliance connection to the country, and may pick up North American transit passengers through this - this could be lucrative, as the U.S. is the second largest source of tourist arrivals to Papua New Guinea (4x more arrivals than those from New Zealand), and has significant commercial interests in the country (for example, ExxonMobil (headquartered in Texas, for which the IAH flight would be useful) leads the "PNG LNG project," which is the largest resource extraction project in Asia-Pacific).

There is further potential growth for POM - AKL, supported by:

- Tourism: Papua New Guinea aims to double tourist arrivals from 200,000 to 400,000 per annum by 2022, with growth in tourist arrivals averaging 8% per annum. There is significant development on the cards, such as the Paga Hill Estate in Port Moresby.

- Trade: Papua New Guinea is already New Zealand's second largest market for trade in the Pacific, after Fiji, and the two countries are set to sign a free trade deal in the coming years under Papua New Guinea's "National Trade Policy (NTP) 2017-32."

See:
- https://www.oxfordbusinessgroup.com/new ... ra-trading.
- http://www.oxfordbusinessgroup.com/over ... nal-appeal.
- http://corporate.exxonmobil.com/en/comp ... inea#About.

Qantas16 wrote:
Vanuatu has significantly more tourism infrastructure than the Solomons though. Having been to the Solomons many times, they do not currently have any significant infrastructure for tourists.

I would not say that they do not have any significant infrastructure - the government's tourism website clearly lists a number of accommodation options and activities.

In the Solomon Islands' 2016 tourism survey, 91% of tourists found their visit either ‘very enjoyable’ or ‘enjoyable,’ and over half (53%) could not name a poor experience.

See:
- http://www.visitsolomons.com.sb/accommodation/hotels.
- http://www.visitsolomons.com.sb/library ... y-2016.pdf.

Qantas16 wrote:
They recently launched TSV which hopefully will do OK with connections to Asia.

TSV appears to be a weak market - on the international front, TSV could not sustain its sole service (JQ to DPS), while on the domestic front, QF's passenger numbers at TSV have declined by 5.7% since 2012.

I hope that PX can make TSV work, but I am doubtful.

See: http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/ne ... 6de4c49adf.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:29 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Why should NZ or PX be satisfied to leave the existing market to competitor connections on QF via BNE? Likewise, why should NZ or PX be satisfied to ignore New Zealand-originating opportunities regarding the significant growth in Papua New Guinean tourism and trade? If airlines always thought "what's the point," then they would simply stop growing.

Your reference to PR's AKL activities demonstrate the opportunity - the small existing market provides a platform of security with which to initiate direct flights, and as direct flights open, the market is stimulated in a way that it would not otherwise have been - PR have moved from one-stop narrow-body flights to non-stop wide-body flights in the space of 2-3 years.

I disagree that any flight would be "unlikely to return any profit" - one-stop options are currently priced at about NZD 1,000 return, while similarly distanced destinations with non-stop services are priced at the same level (PPT), or significantly less (CNS). The region is also successfully sustaining a significant number of other long and low-frequency flights - for example:

- NAN-ADL (2x weekly, FJ, 6 h 10 min)
- APW-BNE (1x weekly, VA, 5 h 50 min)
- TBU-SYD (2x weekly, VA, 5 h 30 min)
- RAR-CHC (1x weekly, seasonal, VA, 5 hr 05 min)
- SUV-SYD (2x weekly, FJ, 5 hr 05 min)

NZ would offer the only Star Alliance connection to the country, and may pick up North American transit passengers through this - this could be lucrative, as the U.S. is the second largest source of tourist arrivals to Papua New Guinea (4x more arrivals than those from New Zealand), and has significant commercial interests in the country (for example, ExxonMobil (headquartered in Texas, for which the IAH flight would be useful) leads the "PNG LNG project," which is the largest resource extraction project in Asia-Pacific).

I think it's arguable that any of those 1-2x weekly routes are actually profitable (especially without a subsidy) but I digress!

In regards to PR, maybe that is true and it's certainly a model used in the airline world successfully before... however I would argue that it's more likely that as passengers wanting to travel AKL-MNL had to make a stop irrelevant of the airline, they were choosing better carriers (SQ, CX etc) rather than a cramped A320 for such a long flight and in order gain a competitive advantage PR realised they needed to operate the flight non-stop. I doubt the AKL-POM market is going to be stimulated by a PX AKL-CNS-POM service... AKL-POM direct yes, but not via CNS.

planemanofnz wrote:
I would not say that they do not have any significant infrastructure - the government's tourism website clearly lists a number of accommodation options and activities.

In the Solomon Islands' 2016 tourism survey, 91% of tourists found their visit either ‘very enjoyable’ or ‘enjoyable,’ and over half (53%) could not name a poor experience.

See:
- http://www.visitsolomons.com.sb/accommodation/hotels.
- http://www.visitsolomons.com.sb/library ... y-2016.pdf.

With due respect, have you been to the Solomons before? I have been multiple times, the last time about 3 years ago, and unless they have made an absolutely drastic improvement, their is not significant infrastructure to cope with a greater number of tourists. It's a beautiful country with amazing people and wonderful scenery and I'm not saying it wouldn't make a great tourist destination, quite the opposite, but it does not have the infrastructure at present to cope with any more than they currently get.

However, whether the Solomons could handle more tourists or not isn't really my point - existing growth should be focused on BNE. If they find the number of pax coming from AKL to HIR (via BNE or NAN) is significant enough then sure, open that route, but given most flights go out of BNE with 40-60 people on (if that...) as it stands, I doubt the numbers stack up for an AKL flight. If this flight was to be launched, it would be because of freight opportunities not passenger numbers.

planemanofnz wrote:
TSV appears to be a weak market - on the international front, TSV could not sustain its sole service (JQ to DPS), while on the domestic front, QF's passenger numbers at TSV have declined by 5.7% since 2012.

I hope that PX can make TSV work, but I am doubtful.

I am very aware of TSV difficulties but the difference is that they can operate this flight with a F70 they need significantly less people to fill the flight and take significantly less time vs a 737/767/787 (depending on whether PX or NZ) they would need to fly POM-AKL. Also, TSV was launched thanks to the JQ service bringing Customs back to TSV, before that it would not have been possible. Not sure how that works once JQ ends though...

planemanofnz

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
I think it's arguable that any of those 1-2x weekly routes are actually profitable (especially without a subsidy) but I digress!

Do you have any proof to back up these claims on profitability?

In 2016, Virgin Samoa (who fly APW-BNE) made AUD 1.4 million in profit, while Fiji Airways (who fly NAN-ADL and SUV-SYD) made a record profit of FJD 84.5 million.

Virgin Australia are maintaining Virgin Samoa's APW-BNE service, after the latter's closure once Samoa Airways commences operations.

See:
- http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... wb6ht.html.
- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 27534.html.
- http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... -to-samoa/.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Do you have any proof to back up these claims on profitability?

In 2016, Virgin Samoa (who fly APW-BNE) made AUD 1.4 million in profit, while Fiji Airways (who fly NAN-ADL and SUV-SYD) made a record profit of FJD 84.5 million.

Virgin Australia are maintaining Virgin Samoa's APW-BNE service, after the latter's closure once Samoa Airways commences operations.

Of course I don't have an specific inside information on these routes and "route profitability" is incredibly hard to measure (i.e. value to network) etc. That being said, I'm unsure what an airlines profit has to do with the performance of a specific route? By the same token, VA lost $185million last FY... I will concede that one or two of the routes may be marginally profitable though, but marginal at best.

Also, all of those routes (except for NAN-ADL) are routes where both airports are already served by the airline on other routes (e.g. FJ already flies to SYD & SUV before they launched SYD-SUV) and this reduces costs. For IE/PX to start services to AKL or NZ to start HIR/POM would require setting up offices, hiring staff/contractors etc for a once or twice weekly route...

DavidByrne

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 am

Qantas16 wrote:
For IE/PX to start services to AKL or NZ to start HIR/POM would require setting up offices, hiring staff/contractors etc for a once or twice weekly route...

On that basis, NZ should never have started services to MCY, DPS or SGN. Or, indeed, anywhere that is served seasonally. One can't make generalizations about this sort of thing - each respective route must be judged on its specific merits.

Qantas16

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:56 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
For IE/PX to start services to AKL or NZ to start HIR/POM would require setting up offices, hiring staff/contractors etc for a once or twice weekly route...

On that basis, NZ should never have started services to MCY, DPS or SGN. Or, indeed, anywhere that is served seasonally. One can't make generalizations about this sort of thing - each respective route must be judged on its specific merits.

Sure, but as I've already specified, I don't believe the route would succeed based on the limited market and existing easy/quick one-stop options (IMHO, obviously some of us disagree on that).

My point was that it would be a very marginal route anyway and then you need to take into account those added fixed costs of those sort of routes. Those seasonal routes are quite different as they are mainly for ex-AKL traffic and have much larger market potential... maybe POM will be a big market one day, population would suggest it could be, but it's not right now.

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 am

Qantas16 wrote:
I'm unsure what an airlines profit has to do with the performance of a specific route?

Qantas16 wrote:
"route profitability" is incredibly hard to measure (i.e. value to network) etc.

In the absence of route-specific metrics, the profitability of the airlines speaks more volumes as to the sustainability of their route network than a gut feeling does.

The fact of the matter is that these airlines run lean operations, and in some cases, only operate a handful of routes - they are unlikely to run flights that are unprofitable, simply for the purpose of connections and "value" to their overall network, as you refer to. That strategy is more suited to a mega-carrier like EK.

Qantas16 wrote:
Also, all of those routes (except for NAN-ADL) are routes where both airports are already served by the airline on other routes (e.g. FJ already flies to SYD & SUV before they launched SYD-SUV) and this reduces costs.

Actually, there are many examples of profitable airlines successfully serving destinations in the region at a low-frequency, from only one port - for example:

- TN: PPT - AKL (2-3x weekly) - TN recorded a USD 22 million profit in 2016
- FJ: NAN - WLG (2x weekly) - FJ recorded a FJD 84 million profit in 2016
- HA: HNL - PPT (1x weekly) - HA recorded a USD 244.1 million (net) profit in 2016
- NZ: AKL - NOU (2x weekly) - NZ recorded a NZD 382 million profit in 2016

Some of these routes have been operating for more than 20 years. If they were unprofitable throughout this period, they could easily have been made seasonal (like NZ did with CNS) or dropped (like FJ did with CBR) - the fact of the matter is that they were not, which weighs more in favour of arguing that they are profitable than unprofitable.

Qantas16 wrote:

Qantas16 wrote:
you need to take into account those added fixed costs of those sort of routes.

There is no need to set up a dedicated office. In fact, even though PX fly to HIR, TSV, VLI and elsewhere, they do not maintain their own offices at those ports - they use GSAs. Similarly, PX already have a GSA in AKL, as do IE, so no new investment would need to be made here in that regard.

Regarding other contractors (such as airport ground crew), TN do this in AKL, FJ do this in WLG, HA do this in PPT and NZ do this NOU (as just some of many examples). It clearly can be done successfully, and is being done successfully. FJ opening NAN - ADL this year only re-affirms this too.

Finally on this, and as per my reference to one-stop AKL - POM flights currently being priced at approximately NZD 1,000 - much more than AKL - CNS and other routes of similar distance - "those added fixed costs" can easily be absorbed by, and priced into, the market.

Qantas16 wrote:
I don't believe the route would succeed based on the limited market

Qantas16 wrote:
maybe POM will be a big market one day, population would suggest it could be, but it's not right now.

Despite almost 3,000 New Zealanders living in Papua New Guinea, despite Papua New Guinea being New Zealand's second largest market for trade in the Pacific, despite significant aid, defence and other and government-related contracts and despite foreign visitor arrivals being forecast to increase by 10.7% this year, and double by 2022, you still state that there is a "limited market."

What about an impending free trade agreement between New Zealand and Papua New Guinea? What about more fuel-efficient aircraft arriving at NZ (A320 NEOs) and PX (737 MAXs)? What about the potential for code-sharing, like PX do with QF, and like NZ do in most Pacific markets? What about Star Alliance connections (both commercial and tourism-related) from North America?

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Qantas16 wrote:
My point was that it would be a very marginal route

"Marginal" needs to be understood in context.

This is the Pacific, where distances are large and populations are small. It is not like other markets. Tourism and trade - indeed, any tourism and trade - are absolutely vital to the region's economic sustainability. In line with this, low-frequency flights do need to be strategically considered - particularly by the flag carriers of Pacific nations - when they might otherwise not be elsewhere (based on distances, populations and other factors).

Qantas16 wrote:
without a subsidy

The region's route-specific subsidies are well-known - they are generally publicised through annual government reporting. These days, such subsidies are mostly isolated to routes which are vital to connectivity with the outside world - for example, NZ to IUE (the only air route to this destination). Governments no longer throw money at a route for the sake of it, and a number of subsidies have been withdrawn in recent years (for example, NZ's APW - LAX service).

Cheers,

C.

JBusworth

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 am

NPL8800 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
NPL8800 wrote:
Let's not forget the large role that FJ plays in this region, as far as physical destinations served go FJ is far ahead of the likes of QF and HA, they're easily comparable to NZ and UA in terms of providing access to the key airports/communities

QF barely serves the Pacific Islands, they only do SYD-NOU (JQ does some NAN services).

Qantas's Pacific Islands service mainly comes through FJ, which they have a 46% stake in and treat as like Jetstar when it comes to Codesharing and Fequent Flyer. They also codeshare with Air Niugini and Air Vanuatu. It seems QF's approach is support the local carriers, don't compete with them. Also has anyone heard about what is happening to the Samoa-Australia market when Virgin Samoa ceases operation in a month?

LamboAston

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 am

JBusworth wrote:
NPL8800 wrote:
zkncj wrote:

QF barely serves the Pacific Islands, they only do SYD-NOU (JQ does some NAN services).

Qantas's Pacific Islands service mainly comes through FJ, which they have a 46% stake in and treat as like Jetstar when it comes to Codesharing and Frequent Flyer. They also codeshare with Air Niugini and Air Vanuatu. It seems QF's approach is support the local carriers, don't compete with them. Also has anyone heard about what is happening to the Samoa-Australia market when Virgin Samoa ceases operation in a month?

Samoa is starting it's own airline, with Icelandair 738s, starting soon. VA is continuing the VA Samoa flights.

planemanofnz

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:07 am

Air Niugini has scheduled further international expansion, including:

- POM – TKK – PNI – POM: 1 of 2 weekly services will switch to a 737-700 from a Fokker 70, starting 9 December 2017.
- TBG– CNS: 1 weekly Dash 8 services, starting 20 October 2017 (note: Asia Pacific Airlines (PNG) has previously serviced this route).

See:
- http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... se-in-w17/.
- http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -oct-2017/.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aircalin will launch its first charter flights from China in February 2018, in a bid to test expanding its market, and establish a regular service to China.

The first flight (HGH - NOU) will be operated in an arrangement with a Chinese tour operator, and comes as China has given New Caledonia approved destination status.

Separately, the airline has also firmed up its order for two Airbus A320neos, as well as two Airbus A330neos.

See:
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... s-on-track.
- http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -efficient.

The Northern Marianas is the third fastest growing tourist destination in the world, according to the United Nations World Tourism Organisation.

I wonder if this will encourage new flights to GUM or SPN, from Australia (or New Zealand)? UA has previously operated CNS - GUM.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... stinations.

JBusworth wrote:
QF barely serves the Pacific Islands
It seems QF's approach is support the local carriers, don't compete with them.

QF is not just leaving the market to local carriers solely - VA operate to a number of these destinations too.

You are correct though - the QF Group only operates the following routes, on both QF (POM and NOU) and JQ (NAN and RAR) metal:

This is in comparison to NZ, which operates the following routes in the region:

JBusworth wrote:
Also has anyone heard about what is happening to the Samoa-Australia market when Virgin Samoa ceases operation in a month?

VA will commence flying all of Virgin Samoa's routes (APW - AKL / BNE / SYD).

Meanwhile, Samoa Airways - a new airline - will also commence APW - AKL / SYD services.

See: https://samoaairways.com/flying-with-us ... -schedule/.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 am

planemanofnz wrote:

You are correct though - the QF Group only operates the following routes, on both QF (POM and NOU) and JQ (NAN and RAR) metal:

JQ cancelled OOL-NAN a little while back

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Haneda’s terminal arm dives into management business at Palau airport

Tokyo’s Haneda airport will launch a terminal-management business at Palau airport in its first such project overseas.

Japan Airport Terminal, in cooperation with trading house Sojitz Corp., aims to make the most of its know-how and skills in managing Palau airport through the joint venture Palau International Airport Corp.

According to the plan, renovation work on the two-story, 5,500-sq.-meter building will begin around May to expand its floor size by about 1.5 times. The total cost of the project is estimated at around ¥3.5 billion ($31 million).

Full article: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/ ... au-airport

Although this is getting media attention now, the press release was on Japan Airport Terminal's website in August:

Sojitz and Japan Airport Terminal Join Project to Manage Operations at Palau International Airport

Sojitz Corporation (“Sojitz”) and Japan Airport Terminal Co., Ltd. (“Japan Airport Terminal”), through an intermediate holding company already established by the two companies, have set up Palau International Airport Corporation—a joint venture to manage operations at Palau International Airport—together with the government of Palau. Furthermore, the companies have concluded a contract with the government which will entrust them with airport operations for a 20-year period. This will be the first time for Sojitz and Japan Airport Terminal to participate in this kind of airport operations project overseas.

Total costs for the project are estimated at approximately JPY 3.5 billion, as it will entail not only refurbishing and expanding the existing international terminal to meet rising passenger numbers in Palau, but also administration and maintenance. Operations and remodeling/expansion work is scheduled to begin between March and May 2018, once the Palau government completes their in-kind investment and project handover.

Palau International Airport is the country’s sole international airport, and in recent years, it has grown in importance as the number of tourists and other visitors to Palau continues to increase. In taking over operation of this airport, the companies will combine their strengths to reduce congestion and provide more sophisticated and convenient airport services, as well as raise profitability by bolstering the lineup of airport stores and improving airline marketing. Sojitz will bring its abundant airport industry knowledge and network of contacts, while Japan Airport Terminal will contribute its expertise in airport terminal quality control and other experience gained through management of Haneda Airport’s passenger terminal.

Through this project, Sojitz and Japan Airport Terminal aim to help create sustainable social and economic growth in Palau, a country for which tourism remains a core industry.

Full press release (including rendering of terminal upgrade) at: https://www.tokyo-airport-bldg.co.jp/co ... 821_en.pdf

Here's the current airport:

V/F

obelau24

Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:18 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Haneda’s terminal arm dives into management business at Palau airport

Tokyo’s Haneda airport will launch a terminal-management business at Palau airport in its first such project overseas.

According to the plan, renovation work on the two-story, 5,500-sq.-meter building will begin around May to expand its floor size by about 1.5 times. The total cost of the project is estimated at around ¥3.5 billion ($31 million).

What fantastic and surprisingly forward news from Palau! The airport was constructed poorly to begin with - lots of wastes space, high ceilings that served no purpose, one baggage belt, small check-in space and even small gate. There are 3 jet bridges now I believe but only the one holding space which makes things especially cramped. Not to mention the only way to the second floor is a long flight of steep stairs.

I'm curious how the new management team will improve things - building a second floor over the main lobby is an obvious option to increase gate space - move the restaurant and security toward the road on a new floor and then use all that current space to have 3 separate gates. There is a desperate need for an elevator and maybe escalator to assist passengers moving between levels. Increased Duty Free space is a given plus a better cleaning team. There's not enough traffic volume for more restaurants, I don't think, but much could be done to increase the size and atmosphere of the two current eateries.

Obviously I'm from Palau and so I'm very interested in this topic. Curious to see more detailed plans closer to May.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:12 am

Air Vanuatu and New Caledonia in new codeshare

"Air Vanuatu and New Caledonia's Aircalin have signed a codeshare agreement.

The deal provides for six flights a week between Port Vila and Noumea, with Air Vanuatu flying four times a week and Aircalin twice.

The two airlines hope to boost business by offering better options to connect to other flights, such as domestic flights in Vanuatu to Tanna and Santo.

The route is serviced by turb-prop planes."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... -codeshare.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:21 am

PNG's Airline Air Niugini looking to make Jacksons Airport a regional hub says chairman

"Reiher said the development of Port Moresby as a hub remains a ‘work in progress’ but he believes the signs are positive.

“We are seeing a large increase in the number of passengers connecting between the Pacific Islands and Asia, and between Queensland and Asia and the Pacific Islands,” he said."

See: http://news.pngfacts.com/2017/10/pngs-a ... ng-to.html.

Cheers,

C.

mariner

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:17 am

obelau24 wrote:
Obviously I'm from Palau and so I'm very interested in this topic. Curious to see more detailed plans closer to May.

I'm not from Palau - i've only been there once - but I'm very interested to see how this develops.

I wonder if there is a viable market between Australia and Palau (probably from Cairns)? I believe that Strategic Airlines (later Air Australia) served it briefly from Brisbane (or was going to serve it) with the A330, which seems like a lot of plane to fill on a quite thin route. I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time, I only came to be interested in the airline when the change to Air Australia was announced.

I doubt there'd be a lot of traffic to Palau initially, but maybe enough for once or twice a week while Australians got used to the idea of it. For anyone who wants a sun/sea holiday I think it has excellent potential, much more so than, say, Guam.

mariner

obelau24

Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:52 am

mariner wrote:
obelau24 wrote:

I'm not from Palau - i've only been there once - but I'm very interested to see how this develops.

I wonder if there is a viable market between Australia and Palau (probably from Cairns)? I believe that Strategic Airlines (later Air Australia) served it briefly from Brisbane (or was going to serve it) with the A330, which seems like a lot of plane to fill on a quite thin route. I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time, I only came to be interested in the airline when the change to Air Australia was announced.

I doubt there'd be a lot of traffic to Palau initially, but maybe enough for once or twice a week while Australians got used to the idea of it. For anyone who wants a sun/sea holiday I think it has excellent potential, much more so than, say, Guam.

mariner

I don't know the statistics but the market for Australians is quite small. Strategic didn't serve Palau but there was a short-lived service to Darwin (I want to say Palau Micronesia Air) in the early 2000's. That being said, I'm wondering what with Air Niugini's service to TKK and PNI apparently doing well (they've upgauged one weekly to a 73W) maybe once or twice a week to POM would work with connections to CNS, BNE, SYD, and NAN (maybe connections to TKK and PNI on a looooooong shot).

mariner

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:09 am

obelau24 wrote:
mariner wrote:
I don't know the statistics but the market for Australians is quite small. Strategic didn't serve Palau but there was a short-lived service to Darwin (I want to say Palau Micronesia Air) in the early 2000's.

Now, yes. I think most Australians would only be vaguely aware of Palau's existence and it would take the publicity involved with air service to make them more aware of it.

I had only ever heard of it before I went there and I knew nothing much about it. An American friend of mine was stationed there and suggested I come and visit. I thought it was terrific.

Michael James, who ran Strategic/Air Australia certainly said they were going to fly to Palau (from BNE I think) but like a lot of stuff he said it didn't always happen and the airline was always under-capitalizsed. They knew how to fly planes, perhaps, but not how to run a business.

mariner

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 am

French Polynesian airline fined for carelessness

"A French Polynesian airline has been fined $US15,000 for carelessness after it failed to immediately attend to a technical issue with one of its planes.

The case relates to a Twin Otter Air Moorea flight to the Marquesas Islands 10 years ago.

Two technical staff received suspended prison sentences for allowing an aircraft to fly without assuring its flightworthiness.

The pilot, who reported the problem but kept flying the plane, has been acquitted.

Another Air Moorea plane had crashed on its way to Tahiti just months earlier, killing 20 people.

The judge said the crash had left a mark on the territory where air travel is a necessity."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... relessness.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:09 am

Chance of low cost airlink between Paris and Tahiti

"Reports from French Polynesia say the government has met the head of a new French low-cost airline to discuss a possible new service between Paris and Tahiti.

According to the public broadcaster, the president Edouard Fritch and the tourism minister Nicole Bouteau received the head of French Blue, Marc Rochet.

There has been no comment about the talks but the broadcaster said the airline was considering flying from Europe to Papeete via San Francisco."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... and-tahiti.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 am

No Announcement Yet On New Fiji Airways Routes

"Fiji Airways is exploring new destinations, including Japan.

Shaenaz Voss, Executive General Manager, Fiji Link and Group Corporate, International and Government Affairs confirmed their teams continue to study a number of such options.

She had been asked for comment after Mai Life Magazine yesterday reported online that Fiji Airways has decided to resume direct flights Nadi – Narita in a bid to entice more Japanese tourists our way. The direct flights are expected to resume in mid- 2018, Mai Life said, with an announcement next month.

The national carrier is holding a seminar next Friday, on the 27th of October, here in Tokyo for this very purpose."

See: https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/10/23/no-an ... ys-routes/.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:16 am

Fiji Airways Appoints Award-Winning Culinary Ambassador

"Fiji Airways has appointed award-winning Kiwi chef, Robert Oliver as their new Celebrity Chef and Culinary Ambassador.

The world-renowned chef, author, and TV presenter will work with Fiji Airways to develop menus for customers to enjoy both on-board (Economy and Business class) and in its brand new lounge currently under construction at Fiji’s Nadi International Airport.

Chef Oliver-inspired menus will be available in-flight from mid-January 2018, and will include a number of signature dishes designed exclusively for Fiji Airways."

See: https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/10/26/appoi ... mbassador/.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 am

Pacific Island Air Introduce Charter/Scenic Flights Based From Savusavu Airport

"The market had requested services for transfers to Taveuni, Nausori, Labasa or Nadi to supplement the existing schedule services with the positioning time from Nadi being an hour.

The decision was taken to create a line station and service the needs of customer’s for private transfers as a charter operator.

The opportunity to provide scenic flights for customers while on holiday to the surrounding islands and along the coast of Vanua Levu is anticipated.

The aircraft being positioned in Savusavu reduces the positioning time when the need arises for customers.

The company currently operates four helicopters, three six-passenger Squirrel helicopters, one Robinson 44, two five-passenger Beaver seaplanes, two 10-passenger Otter seaplanes and two twin-engine Islander planes seating six passengers."

See: http://fijisun.com.fj/2017/10/11/pacifi ... u-airport/.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 am

Port Vila Airport Upgrade Commences

"The Government’s Vanuatu Airport Investment Project (VAIP) continues to progress with the arrival and offloading of key machines and equipment for the rehabilitation of runway, aprons and related infrastructure for Bauerfield Airport in Port Vila."

Two separate projects to refurbish the Airport Terminal and Airport Warehouse have also commenced.

"The project will include expansion of the terminal to allow processing of passengers more effectively and allocate more rooms to deal with them. It also comes with new facilities, including toilets and change rooms, lounges and so forth.

The two contractors have given approximately two months to do the job, hopefully before the Mini Games in December.

The upgrade of the terminal is needed as a runway available is expected to be in place early next year."

See:
- https://www.gov.vu/en/public-informatio ... iosecurity.
- http://dailypost.vu/news/vt-million-pro ... 1f84d.html.

Cheers,

C.

nicode

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:04 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Air Vanuatu and New Caledonia in new codeshare

"Air Vanuatu and New Caledonia's Aircalin have signed a codeshare agreement.

The route is serviced by turb-prop planes."
Air Calin do not have turbo-prop planes. Only A320 and A330.
Air Calédonie does have ATR only (not from NOU (Nouméa Tontouta) but from Nouméa Magenta (GEA), much closer to the city centre).

qf15

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 am

In regards to Palau to Australia flights, Pacific Flier was the airline that operated the route with an A310. In only operated from March to August 2010, started as 2x weekly ROR-BNE then in June went 1x weekly ROR-OOL before finishing up.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 am

nicode wrote:
Air Calin do not have turbo-prop planes.

Indeed, you are correct - it is clearly a mistake in the article.

Cheers,

C.

obelau24

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:24 am

qf15 wrote:
In regards to Palau to Australia flights, Pacific Flier was the airline that operated the route with an A310. In only operated from March to August 2010, started as 2x weekly ROR-BNE then in June went 1x weekly ROR-OOL before finishing up.

THAT'S what it was - thank you for reminding me. I knew there was a forgotten airline there. They started after I had left and I didn't really hear much about them at all so it's no wonder they failed if they weren't prioritizing their marketing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos