enzo011

Re: Qantas announces non-stop PER-LHR flights

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:15 pm

mariner wrote:
I guess I'm missing your point, because that's always been true. Anyone from Perth who wants to get to Liverpool can fly PER-DXB-MAN and drive or get the train from there. I don't think anyone flies MAN-LPL, so it will continue to be true, this new flight doesn't change anything for them. It is also possible that a fair number of those VFR pax going to the north will still fly into LHR because they want to experience London at one end of their trip or the other.

My family lives in the south of England - Portsmouth/Southampton area - and on my most recent trip I avoided LHR altogether by flying into CGD, getting Eurostar to Kent and driving from there. I don't go back often and I wanted to experience some of the English countryside along the way. But I still went up to London (train) from my sister's house for the experience of London, which, for someone who lives in the New Zealand wood-woop, is extraordinary. AKL-PER-LHR doesn't change much for me, but I may - may - still use it if I go back again because I have to stop somewhere, so why not PER?

There remains the vast number of people who, no matter where they from in the UK or the families they are visiting live in the UK, fly into LHR and I assume that the efficient Qantas has studied those traffic patterns.

mariner

I may have been a little confusing. My point is that redroo posted that there should be enough demand because there is a lot of people in Perth that come from the UK. The one benefit that a lot of people have been posting is that the direct flight avoids the transfer in Dubai, but this is only true if people has LHR as their closest airport. If they still have either another flight or a trip via car or train it adds to their total journey.

I was just trying to point out that while there may be a lot of people in Perth originally from the UK or with family from the UK, not all of them would prefer LHR as their closest or most convenient airport. There will be demand I am sure, but how many remains to be seen.

I do agree that there will also be people that will use London as a stopover for a break away, even if they are visiting family further away. You would guess that many people could just as easily use Dubai as a stopover as well in that case.

mariner

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:36 pm

enzo011 wrote:
I do agree that there will also be people that will use London as a stopover for a break away, even if they are visiting family further away. You would guess that many people could just as easily use Dubai as a stopover as well in that case.

I've used Dubai as a stopover, a couple of times, and I'd go there again, but not with any special enthusiasm. It's fine but I prefer more interesting places. On my recent trip, a couple of months ago, I used Hanoi, Vietnam as first and primary stopover and I loved it, I'd go back in a heartbeat. I still went up to London when I was in the UK, not as a stopover on my way to somewhere, but to have the London experience

I know a lot of a.netters think people just want to get there, and that may be true for some of our American friends, but it isn't true for me.

These trips are very expensive and I try to get the biggest bang for my buck. I don't just want to get there, I want to make getting there - and being there - as interesting as possible. So on this last trip, I got Hanoi, Paris, Kent and the drive through the English countryside to Waterlooville, as well as a few days in London - while also spending time with my family. I did consider driving up North to see relatives there, but they decided to drive down to see me.

Others may do it differently, I can only speak from my own experience, but I've been flying - on my own - for more than sixty years and I've met a lot of people with similarly interesting, even curious, itineraries.

mariner
aeternum nauta

redroo

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:33 pm

QF realised their mistake with PER SIN and have reinstated the QF71 and QF77.

RioTino and BHP have huge operations in Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Singapore and London. They fly a lot and make up a significant amount of QF corporate traffic. Both were not happy about the axing of SIN.

enzo011

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 am

mariner wrote:
I've used Dubai as a stopover, a couple of times, and I'd go there again, but not with any special enthusiasm. It's fine but I prefer more interesting places. On my recent trip, a couple of months ago, I used Hanoi, Vietnam as first and primary stopover and I loved it, I'd go back in a heartbeat. I still went up to London when I was in the UK, not as a stopover on my way to somewhere, but to have the London experience

I know a lot of a.netters think people just want to get there, and that may be true for some of our American friends, but it isn't true for me.

These trips are very expensive and I try to get the biggest bang for my buck. I don't just want to get there, I want to make getting there - and being there - as interesting as possible. So on this last trip, I got Hanoi, Paris, Kent and the drive through the English countryside to Waterlooville, as well as a few days in London - while also spending time with my family. I did consider driving up North to see relatives there, but they decided to drive down to see me.

Others may do it differently, I can only speak from my own experience, but I've been flying - on my own - for more than sixty years and I've met a lot of people with similarly interesting, even curious, itineraries.

mariner

If you are lucky enough to have somewhere to stopover as a tourist destination that is great. I have been using stopovers a few times as well and like you try to enjoy the journey as well. I also know sitting in an aircraft for up to 20 hours isn't a fun way to spend my time and would rather break the trip somewhere. If this is for a 2 hour stop to stretch the legs and grab a shower (if possible) or even better a 2 day stopover to help with the fatigue of the flight then all the better. My options aren't as diverse as yours seem to be but you take what you can get.

From my personal point, unless I had to get to a destination asap, I would not like to spend too much time in the metal (or CFRP) tube. A stopover is my preferred way to travel, other opinions are available as well. :biggrin:

mariner

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:44 am

enzo011 wrote:
From my personal point, unless I had to get to a destination asap, I would not like to spend too much time in the metal (or CFRP) tube. A stopover is my preferred way to travel, other opinions are available as well. :biggrin:

There we agree.

There's also the chance of more things going wrong with stopovers and I enjoy it if that happens, it puts me on my mettle, tests how I cope. Usually, I meet very interesting people and I always get where I'm going - eventually. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

DavidByrne

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:58 am

mariner wrote:

There we agree.

There's also the chance of more things going wrong with stopovers and I enjoy it if that happens, it puts me on my mettle, tests how I cope. Usually, I meet very interesting people and I always get where I'm going - eventually. Image

mariner

:checkmark: For me, too, a stopover is an important part of the travel experience. And the more exotic the stopover, the better. But PER . . . ? Not as exotic as I'd personally like!
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

DavidByrne

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:55 am

mariner wrote:

There we agree.

mariner

:checkmark: For me, too, a stopover is an important part of the travel experience. And the more exotic the stopover, the better. But PER . . . ? Not as exotic as I'd personally like!

mariner

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:01 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
For me, too, a stopover is an important part of the travel experience. And the more exotic the stopover, the better. But PER . . . ? Not as exotic as I'd personally like!

Sure, Perth itself isn't exotic to us, but Ive always had a pretty good time there and the outback, the real thing, isn't far away. Within about two or three hours drive north of Perth you can be among wild emus - LOL.. Last time it happened there were four of them on the road so we stopped the car and just watched. They were nosy beggars, wandering over to the car and trying to stick their beaks in - it lasted about ten minutes before they eventually wandered away. I loved that and I'd pay a a fair few quid to see it again.

If there were an international airport at BME - Broome, further north - with non-stops to Auckland, you'd find me there all the time - magic country for me. But there isn't so I work with what there is, and I wouldn't mind a stopover in in PER. Some great seafood restaurants in Fremantle. At one, I was disappointed that they'd run out of crab, so they said they'd send a waiter out on to the wharf to see if he could catch one. It was bull dust, of course, but it was fun.

mariner
aeternum nauta

sunrisevalley

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:01 pm

mariner wrote:
enzo011 wrote:
The other question is whether the demand from Perth to the UK is to LHR only. Its all good to have a direct flight to LHR but if you have family in the North of the UK you either have to take another flight or a long train journey or car trip.

Which people do all the time, and if you're going to the south, Portsmouth or Southampton, say, it isn't a long car journey, it's a couple of hours, or there are trains.

For anyone in the west of England, the nearest intercontinental airport is probably LHR - I wouldn't drive from Cornwall to Manchester, or even Birmingham, to catch a flight that I could just as easily get from LHR.

Take the LHR- Reading bus for all of about 35min. and you can get good train connections to the North, South and West of England.

MPadhi

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 pm

sunrisevalley wrote:
mariner wrote:
enzo011 wrote:
The other question is whether the demand from Perth to the UK is to LHR only. Its all good to have a direct flight to LHR but if you have family in the North of the UK you either have to take another flight or a long train journey or car trip.

Which people do all the time, and if you're going to the south, Portsmouth or Southampton, say, it isn't a long car journey, it's a couple of hours, or there are trains.

For anyone in the west of England, the nearest intercontinental airport is probably LHR - I wouldn't drive from Cornwall to Manchester, or even Birmingham, to catch a flight that I could just as easily get from LHR.

Take the LHR- Reading bus for all of about 35min. and you can get good train connections to the North, South and West of England.

I live in Exeter for half the year, and Manchester is roughly the same driving time as LHR so I wouldn't completely rule it out. Especially seeing as you can often get lower fares from MAN compared to LHR, not certain about parking though.

redroo

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:58 am

If this route is successful maybe we will see PER-MAN one day...

waoz1

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:33 am

I think the current discussion is really the rubbish

Sorry but you you say Malaysian or Thai won't work cos they only fly to LHR.
People in the UK are used to it... mountain out of a mole hill... seems like some are more eager to kill it before its even taken flight.

Would like to see the airport plan tho... as they need to pull their fingers out to get it approved and start construction.

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:13 pm

QF reportedly has developed a plan to drop MEL-DXB-LHR for the MEL-PER-LHR route. Under this plan EK would take over MEL-DXB route and this would free up 2 A380's for use elsewhere in QF's network

QF says it has no plans to axe MEL-DXB-LHR however has put in a contingency plan if the long haul travel market weakens over the next 18 months

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/974/ ... n-marathon
Forum Moderator

mariner

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:43 pm

qf789 wrote:
QF reportedly has developed a plan to drop MEL-DXB-LHR for the MEL-PER-LHR route. Under this plan EK would take over MEL-DXB route and this would free up 2 A380's for use elsewhere in QF's network

QF says it has no plans to axe MEL-DXB-LHR however has put in a contingency plan if the long haul travel market weakens over the next 18 months

Okay, I'm confused. If MEL-(DXB)-LHR should become not viable for Qantas if "traffic weakens," why would Emirates want to take it over?

I note the article says Qantas has "reportedly" developed this plan. Reported by whom, I wonder?

mariner
aeternum nauta

redroo

Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Interesting. QF have a few options to come.

Personally I would love to see PER becoming the western hub and the QF1 and QF9 being routed through WA. DXB would remain a EK route and available to QFF that want to get to Prague, Madrid, Rome, etc, etc.

That does beg the question about first class. If it works you could see QF order some of the 787s with a first class product, but I think they would be better with one fleet type.

MEL could lose A380 completely and be replaced with 787s. Europe via Perth, double daily to LAX.

The current 787 layout does seem to be very premium heavy with few Y seats for general use though.

Sorry... rambling thoughts at 0500 am

An767

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:16 pm

With all the talk of QF dropping QF9 & 10. if the Perth run is taking pax away. Why cant QF put 9&10 though Singapore ? I know people are going to say that all London flights must go via DXB as per the agreement with EK. But you cannot tell me that EK are not taking London bound pax from Singapore & Bangkok after they have had a stopover, yet alone all the brits that use these hubs Via EK as a stop over. Or are QF concerned that this would weaken QF1 & 2 . I would take that flight any day
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

redroo

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:30 am

Personally I would like a singapore stop to return. There is a lot of business traffic between Australia, Singapore and London - particularly in finance. It would make much more sense to link these together with one flight.

I do miss the option of BKK, HKG and SIN as it was one of the biggest differentiators of QF back in the day - the ability to go via multiple ports and come back via a different port. Sadly it was expensive. Maybe the cost base is lower now to justify a return.

DavidByrne

Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:13 am

redroo wrote:
Personally I would like a singapore stop to return. There is a lot of business traffic between Australia, Singapore and London - particularly in finance. It would make much more sense to link these together with one flight.

I do miss the option of BKK, HKG and SIN as it was one of the biggest differentiators of QF back in the day - the ability to go via multiple ports and come back via a different port. Sadly it was expensive. Maybe the cost base is lower now to justify a return.

The problem with this is that QF has to establish itself as a "go-to" player on a fifth freedom sector, SIN-LHR. And as others have found, fifth-freedom is not easy up against a formidable home carrier such as SQ, with multiple departures daily to compete with. NZ has the same issues out of LAX for LHR, but has over many years worked to establish itself as a niche player with a real point of difference. SQ is a harder act to compete with, however, than the US carriers or even BA/VS.

mariner

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:38 am

An767 wrote:
\Or are QF concerned that this would weaken QF1 & 2 . I would take that flight any day
AN767

Well, (a) as you've already said I don't believe they can restore SIN-LHR and (b) unless you want a few days stopover in Singapore, what difference does it make?

There are some of us who won't fly straight through. I will always break the trip up, I don't see the point in spending all that money just to get to the destination. For a stopover, I quite like Singapore, but there are several places that I like as much or more, or places I've never been before. I just used HAN for the first time, as a stopover to the UK, and would do so again in a heartbeat, more so than SIN..

But (surprisingly to me), the majority of pax want to fly straight through and I can't see the difference between DXB or SIN - or PER - for them.

mariner
aeternum nauta

AngMoh

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:11 am

DavidByrne wrote:
The problem with this is that QF has to establish itself as a "go-to" player on a fifth freedom sector, SIN-LHR. And as others have found, fifth-freedom is not easy up against a formidable home carrier such as SQ, with multiple departures daily to compete with. NZ has the same issues out of LAX for LHR, but has over many years worked to establish itself as a niche player with a real point of difference. SQ is a harder act to compete with, however, than the US carriers or even BA/VS.

QF had that position ad threw it in the bin. QF was the #1 alternative to SQ for FRA and LHR as well as anywhere down under and many companies had them as preferred option (cheaper than SQ but good enough that staff flying on them does not complain). By replacing SIN with DBX, they lost all flights to LHR/FRA and lost their market going towards Australia (at the same time they replaced QF with Jetstar and lost all high yield pax).
It will be a long hard slog to recover this and not only needs reinstatement of SIN/LHR but also improvement of flights to Australia.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 762 772 773 77W 789 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

mariner

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:02 am

AngMoh wrote:
QF had that position ad threw it in the bin. QF was the #1 alternative to SQ for FRA and LHR as well as anywhere down under and many companies had them as preferred option (cheaper than SQ but good enough that staff flying on them does not complain). By replacing SIN with DBX, they lost all flights to LHR/FRA and lost their market going towards Australia (at the same time they replaced QF with Jetstar and lost all high yield pax)..

Qantas dropped FRA because it was losing money on the route:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-bids-far ... -frankfurt

"Qantas had planned to run the Frankfurt service until October this year, but claims it was simply losing too much money.

“One of the issues of the issues we had with the Frankfurt service beyond Singapore was the age of the aircraft’ Hickey explains. “They’re getting towards the end of their life, and Frankfurt’s been a struggling route for some time."

“It was a difficult decision, but it was also very difficult for me to go to the board and say ‘I’d like to get some brand new aircraft to fly a route that we’re losing a lot of money on.’”

mariner
aeternum nauta

Ryanair01

Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:07 pm

mariner wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Okay, I'm confused. If MEL-(DXB)-LHR should become not viable for Qantas if "traffic weakens," why would Emirates want to take it over?

I note the article says Qantas has "reportedly" developed this plan. Reported by whom, I wonder?

mariner

My guess as the why EK would take it over is cost. I'm guessing EK seat per km costs are probably lower than QF, so they'd be able to viably operate the current EK/QF JV MEL-DXB sector flown by QF for less money and continue to do so profitably if faced with lower yield or softer load factors than today. It doesn't mention what might happen to the DXB-LHR sector, either also converted to EK metal or dumped (which if rumours of softening demand for ME3 are true could be the case).

All of that of course depend if the "rumour" is true.

mariner

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:
My guess as the why EK would take it over is cost. I'm guessing EK seat per km costs are probably lower than QF, so they'd be able to viably operate the current EK/QF JV MEL-DXB sector flown by QF for less money and continue to do so profitably if faced with lower yield or softer load factors than today. It doesn't mention what might happen to the DXB-LHR sector, either also converted to EK metal or dumped (which if rumours of softening demand for ME3 are true could be the case).

All of that of course depend if the "rumour" is true.

Sure, Emirates has a lower cost base, but if MEL-PER-LHR is so attractive it has taken sufficient traffic from MEL-DXB-LHR to make that route not viable for Qantas, I think it would be a bit dodgy for Emirates, even with that lower CASK - it would be taking at least some hit to yield.

Anything's possible, but I raise my eyebrows about "it is reported that..." - because, again, reported by whom? PER-LHR really has the media juices flowing and there has been so much quite fanciful conjecture about it that I wonder if this falls into that category.

Always happy to be wrong. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

redroo

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Maybe we are being softened up for the eventual planned termination of A380 MEL-DXB-LHR ?

mariner

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:20 am

redroo wrote:
Maybe we are being softened up for the eventual planned termination of A380 MEL-DXB-LHR ?

I'm not sure why we need to be "softened up" for it - I've always assumed it's possible, and an interesting idea. I'm still uncertain why Emirates would take it over, but maybe it's the writer covering his arse.

From the article:

"Qantas has said it has no plans to axe its existing daily service from Melbourne to London, but is understood to have a contingency plan if the long-haul travel market weakens in the next 18 months.

If the long haul travel market weakens that much I imagine there are contingency plans for other routes, and maybe PER becomes the problem, not DXB, which offers so many other choices for pax from MEL. I very much doubt Qantas would drop PER - they've made too much of a hullabaloo about it - but it isn't good news if it should need that much help.

Or MEL-LHR via PER could be a bonanza, but if it takes too many pax from MEL it won't leave too much room for PER originating pax, nor pax connecting at PER from the rest of Australia, and that wouldn't be the best news for PER either. PER has to show it has a healthy and viable originating demand as well as being as viable connecting point, otherwise the exercise is a bit pointless.

There is so much speculation about this route - and a lot of it fanciful - that I'll wait for hard news from Qantas. Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

Planesmart

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:04 am

qf789 wrote:
The rock lobster industry says the non-stop flight will allow them to enter into the European market for the first time.

Subject to the freight rates applying.

Planesmart

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:06 am

redroo wrote:

Or QF is playing a few mind games with EK.

sunrisevalley

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Planesmart wrote:
qf789 wrote:
The rock lobster industry says the non-stop flight will allow them to enter into the European market for the first time.

I never was of the view that a PER-LHR service would provide any worthwhile freight availability.

LionelHutz

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:42 am

sunrisevalley wrote:
Planesmart wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I never was of the view that a PER-LHR service would provide any worthwhile freight availability.

Yes, surely they're dreaming, an aircraft right on the edge of it's range and they're going to take on extra weight in freight? :roll:

nz2

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:04 am

mariner wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:
I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding the process - this may apply ONLY to the presently-hypothetical MEL-PER and PER-MEL sectors of the MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL flight which will probably end up as the future QF9 and 10.

I understand it completely. Except that I've been given two different and conflicting versions of how it operates. Which to believe? And as an Australian, I don't like either version.

Yours seems un-necesarily overly-complicated for a domestic flight and the other version, the simpler "D" one, seems to me to be more careless of Australia's eco-security. An international passenger who is wearing shoes that they have worn on a foreign farm could - always could - transmit all sorts of microbes and one is enough.

It is - or should be - an extraordinarily simple process. When you enter a country you go through all the checks. I don't see a lot of point in doing the checks after the horse may have bolted.

mariner

Please stop it! Obviously you cannot comprehend this slight anomaly, it happens in many places and in fact used to occur here in NZL with the flight from Japan (IIRC) into CHC then on to AKL. Admittedly it "was" a way for drugs to be conveyed into the country (left in one of the toilets for a person on the domestic sector to uplift - now all panels in the loo have security labels on them) but that hole has been closed now. What the posters say here about the domestic sector is completely acceptable and yes a slight hassle for the domestic pax but as said by others, they can take another flight if desired. The international pax are still processed as normal intl arrivals so bio-security standards are maintained. Not really your concern and I am sure all aspects have been considered by the regulatory authorities concerned.

mariner

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:12 am

nz2 wrote:
What the posters say here about the domestic sector is completely acceptable and yes a slight hassle for the domestic pax but as said by others, they can take another flight if desired. The international pax are still processed as normal intl arrivals so bio-security standards are maintained. Not really your concern and I am sure all aspects have been considered by the regulatory authorities concerned.

It may be acceptable to others - and I doubt anything I say will change anything - but I'll voice what I want about my country's border security processes or issues.

As an Australian citizen, I'm a little startled to be told that it is "not my concern." Image

mariner
aeternum nauta

Ryanair01

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:53 pm

I used to take a lot of QF Intl flights on domestic sectors back in the 1990s (soon after the QF takeover of TN) as it gave a wider variety of aircraft to use, did an AN 744 BNE-SYD once too. As I recall the D pass needs a photo ID and it worked at passport control where there would typically be a side line you could use. Instead of showing a customs declaration you showed a D pass, however you could be searched through customs just the same as an international arrival for bio-security etc, although I always got waved through (as I do typically arriving internationally anyway). My memory might be getting foggy as I haven't done it for six or seven years now.

waoz1

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 am

Qantas announces Perth to London flights will go on sale in next two months, with WA government putting up some money to advertise.
https://thewest.com.au/travel/air-aviat ... b88372477z

anyone seen any works/plans for T3 yet?

EK413

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:17 am

waoz1 wrote:
Qantas announces Perth to London flights will go on sale in next two months, with WA government putting up some money to advertise.

With the airport operators coming to an agreement only few months ago I doubt work has commenced. However in saying that I'm sure the wheels are in motion and that QF submitted plans leading up to their proposal.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

smi0006

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:20 am

waoz1 wrote:

QF have announced a new lounge for these flights in T3 -
Combined with a brand new lounge in LHR, will be a good product offering both ends. They now just need to tidy up there J lounges in SYD, AKL and MEL.

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 am

EK413 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

With the airport operators coming to an agreement only few months ago I doubt work has commenced. However in saying that I'm sure the wheels are in motion and that QF submitted plans leading up to their proposal.

EK413

Its still in the planning stage. IIRC work will begin around April and its expected to be open by 2018

Caon has just started designing that lounge, his early concept involving “an amazing and very, very high ceiling” together with a large outdoor space. Fresh air and sunshine will be restorative, especially for jetlagged travellers just off the long leg from Europe. “Without leaving the airport we can get a little bit of nature back into our customers,” he promises. Inbound customers will enter Australia through a Qantas-only border facility, avoiding customs halls in Melbourne or Sydney.

http://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/q ... 127-gsyuez
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:44 am

qf789 wrote:

Its still in the planning stage. IIRC work will begin around April and its expected to be open by 2018

http://www.afr.com/brand/afr-magazine/q ... 127-gsyuez

Is that normal time or Perth Airport time :P

travelhound

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am

mariner wrote:
enzo011 wrote:

I've used Dubai as a stopover, a couple of times, and I'd go there again, but not with any special enthusiasm. It's fine but I prefer more interesting places. On my recent trip, a couple of months ago, I used Hanoi, Vietnam as first and primary stopover and I loved it, I'd go back in a heartbeat. I still went up to London when I was in the UK, not as a stopover on my way to somewhere, but to have the London experiencemariner

How is the new airport? Last time I was there (three years ago) they were still constructing the new terminal.

Back in 1996 (when I first visited Viet Nam) the Hanoi airport was an old military installation. Things have changed since that time.

mariner

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:25 pm

travelhound wrote:
How is the new airport? Last time I was there (three years ago) they were still constructing the new terminal.

Back in 1996 (when I first visited Viet Nam) the Hanoi airport was an old military installation. Things have changed since that time.

Huge - and already overcrowded, at least when I was flying out in the evening. Just getting to check-in was a bit hectic - not unpleasant but an enormous crush of people.

Otherwise, it's modern in style, more concerned with function rather than form - the VN lounge is efficient and comfortable rather than glitzy. It's all a bit like Hanoi itself - there are a few pockets of luxury but not a lot of bling.

mariner
aeternum nauta

travelhound

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

As long as you had some sticky rice from a street stall its all good!

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:39 am

waoz1 wrote:

Qantas has also increased its marketing budget for WA, increasing it by 45%

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 58cdb24b90
Forum Moderator

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 pm

With airfares for PER-LHR to go on sale later this month it is expected that a price war will erupt

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 5ee96125d6
Forum Moderator

JerseyFlyer

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm

MPadhi wrote:

I live in Exeter for half the year, and Manchester is roughly the same driving time as LHR so I wouldn't completely rule it out. Especially seeing as you can often get lower fares from MAN compared to LHR, not certain about parking though.

Have you tried Dubai to Birmingham?

MPadhi

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:15 pm

JerseyFlyer wrote:
MPadhi wrote:

Have you tried Dubai to Birmingham?

I'm in Exeter for uni so don't usually travel from Exe. I usually go home which is much nearer Gatwick :)

I might see if I can get some cheap deals via Birmingham though...

qf789
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 am

Qantas is expected to announce schedule and launch date of PER-LHR next week

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-perth-l ... -via-dubai
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos