Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

commavia
Topic Author

AA DCA-GRR/XNA, New Codeshare Routes

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:58 pm

As reported elsewhere, a few odds and ends for AA:

* AA will launch DCA-GRR and DCA-XNA (technically a relaunch, after ten years, for XNA), both beginning 4 April 2017
* AA will begin codesharing on Air Tahiti Nui's LAX-CDG flights (the first time the AA code has appeared in this nonstop city pair since AA exited fifteen years ago)
* AA will begin codesharing on LATAM's IAD-LIM flights
* LATAM will begin codesharing on AA's DFW-UIO flights

11725Flyer

Re: AA DCA-GRR/XNA, New Codeshare Routes

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:02 pm

commavia wrote:

* AA will launch DCA-GRR

Seems like an odd route. Anyone have the PDEW figures for this one?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:19 pm

NW flew DCA-GRR from about 2005-2007 with the ARJ. I believe YX may have flown it as some point in the early 2000s. F9 was going to do DCA-GRR in 2011/2012 but not sure they ever started the route.

AA is flying and heavily marketing their DCA-LAN flight.

rufusmi

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:55 am

Woohoo! Love to hear it, living in GRR. This route has been available before, as mentioned above, NW flew it at one point, and IIRC DL flew it as well, ending in 2012 (I can't remember when it started). Midwest Express did it as well, I think from 2000-2002? I might not not have the dates exactly right for that one.

StrandedAtMKG

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:04 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

This was my first question when I read about AA launching GRR-DCA. This is going to cannibalize the bejesus out of DCA-LAN, which has never been a particularly solid route to begin with (although maybe I'm still stuck on Independence's ill-fated LAN-IAD, then NW moving in and crushing the little blue bug on their windshield).

rufusmi

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:10 am

11725Flyer wrote:
commavia wrote:

* AA will launch DCA-GRR

GRR to the entire DC area is 230 pax per day. WN and UA fly to BWI and IAD, respectively, already. I don't know how many carriers will survive on this one route. It sure is an interesting choice.

BobPatterson

Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:18 am

11725Flyer wrote:
commavia wrote:

* AA will launch DCA-GRR

This one might be in honor of the DeVos family coming to Washington.

jb1087xna

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:15 am

I saw that XNA-DCA was announced earlier from a local news source. Meh.

drdisque

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:52 am

The Codeshare with TN is pretty pointless. AFAIK AA still can't issue TN boarding passes so you have to go to the Air Tahiti Nui ticket counter (or maybe you can get it at the gate). TN's fares on CDG-LAX are also not particularly competitive as they earn some of their best yields on CDG-PPT pax and don't want to displace any of them by flying a CDG-LAX local passenger.

superjeff

Wed May 31, 2017 12:54 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

This was my first question when I read about AA launching GRR-DCA. This is going to cannibalize the bejesus out of DCA-LAN, which has never been a particularly solid route to begin with (although maybe I'm still stuck on Independence's ill-fated LAN-IAD, then NW moving in and crushing the little blue bug on their windshield).

Do you realize that GRR is actually a pretty decent sized city and is quite far from Lansing? If you are going to drive to Lansing, you might as well go all the way to DTW - the distance is not that different. If GRR wasn't stuck about halfway between Chicago and Detroit, it would probably be able to support a heck of a lot more service.

crAAzy

Wed May 31, 2017 3:04 pm

So AA goes for non-stop DCA service from both GRR and LAN and we still can't get a non-stop DCA from MKE on AA :(

StrandedAtMKG

Wed May 31, 2017 5:57 pm

superjeff wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Do you realize that GRR is actually a pretty decent sized city and is quite far from Lansing? If you are going to drive to Lansing, you might as well go all the way to DTW - the distance is not that different. If GRR wasn't stuck about halfway between Chicago and Detroit, it would probably be able to support a heck of a lot more service.

Given that I live 45 minutes from GRR and ~1:30 from LAN, yes. Yes I do.

So what you're saying is people from GRR are close enough to drive to Chicago and Detroit, but people in Lansing are not close enough to GRR to drive there for lower fares? :scratchchin:

OslPhlWasChi

Wed May 31, 2017 6:07 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
F9 was going to do DCA-GRR in 2011/2012 but not sure they ever started the route.

I flew F9 GRR-DCA as a tag-on from DEN in May 2012. Not sure how long it flew but it did at one point.

superjeff

Wed May 31, 2017 6:27 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
superjeff wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

Given that I live 45 minutes from GRR and ~1:30 from LAN, yes. Yes I do.

So what you're saying is people from GRR are close enough to drive to Chicago and Detroit, but people in Lansing are not close enough to GRR to drive there for lower fares? :scratchchin:

\
No. what I'm saying is that people in GRR will choose to fly from Grand Rapids rather than drive to Lansing given the choice. But for a really great fare, people may well drive to Detroit or even Chicago.

vhtje

Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 pm

commavia wrote:
* AA will begin codesharing on Air Tahiti Nui's LAX-CDG flights (the first time the AA code has appeared in this nonstop city pair since AA exited fifteen years ago)

Is this move TN lining up to join oneoworld? There was talk about them joining about two years ago, but nothing seemed to have happened. Perhaps this is the start of the process?

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... r-minister

TWFlyGuy

Wed May 31, 2017 6:46 pm

I wonder what the value of the TN codeshare is. I believe they have a mileage partnership on the LAX-PPT route which makes some sense. I was doing some research and found that DL flew a 757 from JFK-Piza, Italy at 4,131...I wonder if it would have the legs to make LAX-PPT. Just a wild hair thought.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos