wn676

Re: Phoenix Arizona Aviation Thread Part 18

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 pm

cathay747 wrote:
An interesting thought came up the other day while talking about the new BA 3x weekly 2nd flight with a fellow avgeek friend...directly related to an earlier comment about what a sight it would be to see TWO BA 744's here @ PHX at the same time...if the new flight, which is earlier, should have a delay and is still here when the "regular" flight comes in...won't this create a parking problem? Can two 744's be accommodated on that pier simultaneously?

Yes, you can park two 747s simultaneously at B23 and B25. It's rare but it has happened before with BA when an aircraft goes tech and has to RON. Both gates are Group V capable so you can park most heavies side-by-side without many issues.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

Vctony

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:11 pm

chrisair wrote:
This thought came to me when I left the other day: what is WN going to do with C12 after all the 300s are out of the fleet? There's a giant sign on it that says "NO 700."

alasizon wrote:

FWIW, the rumors were a 6AM (5AM Summer) departure with like a 3-4PM return catering to PHX based business passengers for SFO, SJC and SMF.

Bleh. 5a is a brutal time for a flight. The 6a ones are hard enough on me when I have to work a full day when I land.

C12 looks like it has a "fixed" jetway like C11 and C1 (although both C11 and C1 can accommodate the 700s). I'm curious if they need to re stripe the ramp or if they can get a new non "fixed" jetway to make the 700s work on it.

alasizon

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Vctony wrote:
chrisair wrote:
This thought came to me when I left the other day: what is WN going to do with C12 after all the 300s are out of the fleet? There's a giant sign on it that says "NO 700."

C12 looks like it has a "fixed" jetway like C11 and C1 (although both C11 and C1 can accommodate the 700s). I'm curious if they need to re stripe the ramp or if they can get a new non "fixed" jetway to make the 700s work on it.

I believe the issue with C12 is the wingspan and surrounding area. I'm not sure what their plan is.
Customer Operations Manager & Tower Planner

alasizon

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:38 pm

wn676 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
An interesting thought came up the other day while talking about the new BA 3x weekly 2nd flight with a fellow avgeek friend...directly related to an earlier comment about what a sight it would be to see TWO BA 744's here @ PHX at the same time...if the new flight, which is earlier, should have a delay and is still here when the "regular" flight comes in...won't this create a parking problem? Can two 744's be accommodated on that pier simultaneously?

Yes, you can park two 747s simultaneously at B23 and B25. It's rare but it has happened before with BA when an aircraft goes tech and has to RON. Both gates are Group V capable so you can park most heavies side-by-side without many issues.

Also has happened a good number of times when LAS closes due to WX and that flight diverts to PHX.

cathay747

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 am

alasizon wrote:
wn676 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Also has happened a good number of times when LAS closes due to WX and that flight diverts to PHX.

thanks guys!
Try a Little VC-10derness

Maverick623

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 am

One of the incidents that lead to an alternate taxi lane was a 777 divert to B23 while the 747 was at B25. Usual widebody push was to the zipper line, but the driver push/pulling the 777 cut the turn short and aimed for the regular Quebec line. The 777 wing passed over the parked 747 wingtip, cleared it by maybe 3 feet. Had the 747 not been full of fuel they would've hit.

Edit: found a (kinda blurry) picture.

http://imgur.com/a/kaJJ2
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

wn676

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Maverick623 wrote:

One of the incidents that lead to an alternate taxi lane was a 777 divert to B23 while the 747 was at B25. Usual widebody push was to the zipper line, but the driver push/pulling the 777 cut the turn short and aimed for the regular Quebec line. The 777 wing passed over the parked 747 wingtip, cleared it by maybe 3 feet. Had the 747 not been full of fuel they would've hit.

Edit: found a (kinda blurry) picture.

http://imgur.com/a/kaJJ2

I remember that night too. The way the Quebec line and tail limit line were originally striped, there was never supposed to be anything larger than a Group III on that taxi line. In that instance with the 777, they should have pushed onto Romeo.

910A

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:30 pm

First WestJet flight is due to land at around 1:30pm at IWA. It's a 738 in the Frozen livery.

atcsundevil
Crew

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 pm

910A wrote:
First WestJet flight is due to land at around 1:30pm at IWA. It's a 738 in the Frozen livery.

The airport is doing a Facebook live stream right now.
Forum Moderator

INFINITI329

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 am

allegiantflyer wrote:

Who handles VX when they are in town?

Vctony

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

Who handles VX when they are in town?

My uneducated guess would be AS.

INFINITI329

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:09 am

Vctony wrote:

I doubt it at this stage in the merger, its probably to early for that

alasizon

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:17 am

I believe it was Swissport that handled them.

hz747300

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:06 am

allegiantflyer wrote:

Weather in SoCal causing these diversions? Somebody should tell Albert Hammond he needs to rewrite the lyrics then. Pretty cool, hope some spotters were able to avoid the skaters on the top level of the parking garage and got some pictures.

Perhaps this will show Redwood it is not the end of the world if they fly to Phoenix. They can even call it Scottsdale if they must.
Keep on truckin'...

wn676

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:18 am

alasizon wrote:

INFINITI329 wrote:
Vctony wrote:

With up to 4 VX aircraft on the ground at the same time, it would make sense that Swissport handled them, especially if it was just a gas-and-go situation. I'm not sure McGee or IAS could make that happen with the resources they have here.

Sometimes it depends on the nature of the diversion. Years ago there was a VX diversion that was handled by US, I believe due in part to them needing to replace medical equipment. We parked it at A13.

alasizon

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:55 am

wn676 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

INFINITI329 wrote:
Vctony wrote:

With up to 4 VX aircraft on the ground at the same time, it would make sense that Swissport handled them, especially if it was just a gas-and-go situation. I'm not sure McGee or IAS could make that happen with the resources they have here.

Sometimes it depends on the nature of the diversion. Years ago there was a VX diversion that was handled by US, I believe due in part to them needing to replace medical equipment. We parked it at A13.

Also McGee probably doesn't have the resources or training to handle Airbus aircraft. I know we had a OO SJD-SLC flight that diverted to PHX due to MX. Since the DGS employees aren't qualified by Customs or trained to handle INTL flights, we parked it at B24 and we handled everything other than the pushback of the aircraft after it was cleaned. It all depends on the nature of the diversion and if the station isn't routinely planned as a diversion point, its usually worked out on an ad-hoc basis.

Vctony

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:41 pm

PHX put together a nice tribute video to WN that shows some nice artifacts of WN (and PHX history) for WN's 35 year anniversary at the airport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gel8Otv ... e=youtu.be

wn676

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:28 am

There is an RFQ out for a CMAR for SkyTrain Phase 2. In the document they show the latest iteration of the alignment, including the new West GTC between 24th St. and Copperhead Dr., and the location of the future crossfield twys U/V (the guideway will pass underneath like at twys S/T).

Also, since we discuss it a lot and I can never post anything, the final T3S layout is also shown here:

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/Sol ... %20RFQ.pdf

Note that the West GTC will require the demolition of both the existing COP Facilities building and bus maintenance facility; presumably this would be the end of the airport circulator and rental car buses.

alasizon

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:33 pm

wn676 wrote:
There is an RFQ out for a CMAR for SkyTrain Phase 2. In the document they show the latest iteration of the alignment, including the new West GTC between 24th St. and Copperhead Dr., and the location of the future crossfield twys U/V (the guideway will pass underneath like at twys S/T).

Also, since we discuss it a lot and I can never post anything, the final T3S layout is also shown here:

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/Sol ... %20RFQ.pdf

Note that the West GTC will require the demolition of both the existing COP Facilities building and bus maintenance facility; presumably this would be the end of the airport circulator and rental car buses.

The airport circulator is already gone, its just the rental car buses now. There will still have to be a bus depot somewhere that holds 5-6 buses as that is always what is used to transport folks after an aircraft ends up disabled somewhere or any time the T4 walkways are shut down and pax can't get from concourse to concourse. Although if they are rarely used, MX could always be contracted out to the Valley Metro folks or someone else.

Realistically, they could also add an airport hotel connected at the rental car station (utilizing the unused land on the front side of the rental car center). I remember there were plans for one near where T2 sits today but I don't believe that included a Sky Train connection.

chrisair

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:43 am

Anyone know why the AA 757s seem to get parked on the west side of the airport now? I've seen them parked over there at South Cargo and on the north side by the executive terminal the last few weeks.

alasizon wrote:
Although if they are rarely used, MX could always be contracted out to the Valley Metro folks or someone else.

I believe the busses are (or were) operated by Veolia? They run some of the busses for Valley Metro as well. I'm sure they could do the maintenance at one of their other facilities.

alasizon

Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:21 am

chrisair wrote:
Anyone know why the AA 757s seem to get parked on the west side of the airport now? I've seen them parked over there at South Cargo and on the north side by the executive terminal the last few weeks.

We simply have too many right now. There are I believe 2 spares in PHX right now plus two of the typical 757 gates (A13/14) are OOS for ASR work. The 757 utilization is very low right now. The other day we had two parked in the West Hold Bay and two or three more parked over at East Cargo. We have also been RONing one at B28 almost daily now after it comes in from CUN due to gate availability.

chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Although if they are rarely used, MX could always be contracted out to the Valley Metro folks or someone else.

I believe the busses are (or were) operated by Veolia? They run some of the busses for Valley Metro as well. I'm sure they could do the maintenance at one of their other facilities.

I believe you are right on the Veolia piece. I forgot they operated the ones at the airport as well.

Vctony

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:00 am

alasizon wrote:
chrisair wrote:

We simply have too many right now. There are I believe 2 spares in PHX right now plus two of the typical 757 gates (A13/14) are OOS for ASR work. The 757 utilization is very low right now. The other day we had two parked in the West Hold Bay and two or three more parked over at East Cargo. We have also been RONing one at B28 almost daily now after it comes in from CUN due to gate availability.

chrisair wrote:
alasizon wrote:

I believe you are right on the Veolia piece. I forgot they operated the ones at the airport as well.

I wondered about those 757s as well. Thanks for the answer.

Actually both Veolia (now Transdev) and First Transit operate buses for Valley Metro.

There's a First Transit bus depot at 52nd St. and Rio Salado Parkway that could easily handle buses for Sky Harbor if needed (of course Phoenix would have to directly contract with First Transit and the City of Tempe for use of this facility (as I believe it's owned by the City of Tempe and contracted to Valley Metro).

Veolia is actually now called Transdev and the City of Phoenix owned garage (which is contracted with Transdev) is at 19th Ave. and Lower Buckeye Rd.

airzona11

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Vctony wrote:
alasizon wrote:
chrisair wrote:

chrisair wrote:

Actually both Veolia (now Transdev) and First Transit operate buses for Valley Metro.

There's a First Transit bus depot at 52nd St. and Rio Salado Parkway that could easily handle buses for Sky Harbor if needed (of course Phoenix would have to directly contract with First Transit and the City of Tempe for use of this facility (as I believe it's owned by the City of Tempe and contracted to Valley Metro).

Veolia is actually now called Transdev and the City of Phoenix owned garage (which is contracted with Transdev) is at 19th Ave. and Lower Buckeye Rd.

Last night around 11 I counted 8+ tails on the west end of the North runway. Seemed like mostly 757s, but other types as well. That was interesting, had never see that. Thought there were cancellations or something.

Vctony

Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:40 pm

airzona11 wrote:
Vctony wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Last night around 11 I counted 8+ tails on the west end of the North runway. Seemed like mostly 757s, but other types as well. That was interesting, had never see that. Thought there were cancellations or something.

There actually were a decent amount of cancellations to flights to the East coast.

AA1512 to DCA, AA2026 to PHL, and AA1774 to EWR were all cancelled last night.

airzona11

Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:07 pm

That makes sense. Thank you for the information.

travaz

Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 am

The airport circulator is already gone, its just the rental car buses now. There will still have to be a bus depot somewhere that holds 5-6 buses as that is always what is used to transport folks after an aircraft ends up disabled somewhere or any time the T4 walkways are shut down and pax can't get from concourse to concourse. Although if they are rarely used, MX could always be contracted out to the Valley Metro folks or someone else.

Realistically, they could also add an airport hotel connected at the rental car station (utilizing the unused land on the front side of the rental car center). I remember there were plans for one near where T2 sits today but I don't believe that included a Sky Train connection.[/quote]

I was involved with the Airport Shuttle operation from 2000 to 2007, I am currently involved with Valley Metro. We often provide "a Bus Bridge" when something goes down on light rail. This could be provided to the Airport on pretty short notice. The big difference was we were badged by the Airport and would actually enter the ramp and could be used incase of an emergency on the runway. It could be done however.

chrisair

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:51 am

travaz wrote:
I was involved with the Airport Shuttle operation from 2000 to 2007, I am currently involved with Valley Metro.

I know it's a moot point, but why on earth did those shuttles run back to back to back to back from East Economy, sometimes 30 seconds apart, then nothing showed up for 20, or 30 minutes(!)?

I loved getting to know some of the drivers, but that was absolutely maddening. That and the shuttles that looked like busses during the fall of Saigon at 6a on Mondays. It was really tough to plan for (thank god for Uber--I've parked at PHX 3 times since Feb 2016, and flown more than 150 round trips).

travaz

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:38 am

chrisair wrote:
travaz wrote:
I was involved with the Airport Shuttle operation from 2000 to 2007, I am currently involved with Valley Metro.

I know it's a moot point, but why on earth did those shuttles run back to back to back to back from East Economy, sometimes 30 seconds apart, then nothing showed up for 20, or 30 minutes(!)?

I loved getting to know some of the drivers, but that was absolutely maddening. That and the shuttles that looked like busses during the fall of Saigon at 6a on Mondays. It was really tough to plan for (thank god for Uber--I've parked at PHX 3 times since Feb 2016, and flown more than 150 round trips).

If you remember that was a time where there was a lot of construction and traffic. Sometimes the construction company would mess up and close all routes out of T4 going west or the traffic from all the rental car shuttles, off airport parking vans would absolutely grid lock the airport. I remember one Sunday night at 9 PM where they closed all the roads east bound from T4. It was a case of the left hand not telling the right hand what was up. I remember that traffic backed up onto I 10 to where DPS had to get involved. We did run on a schedule that was about 5 min apart. Sometimes things just fell apart. It really was a fun and challenging job sometimes. I carried a digital scanner with me and while I drove I listened to OP's, tower and other freq's. It was amazing how many things went on in a busy airport. In fact it was an AWA pilot that told me about this site.

Vctony

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:18 am

I posted this on the most recent OAG thread, but I feel it is a relevant discussion here as well.

With NK ending their PHX - DEN service in May. I have the following thoughts.

NK's strategy in PHX hasn't really made a lot of sense to me.

PHX - DEN currently sees AA, F9, UA, and WN service in addition to NK. In May here are the following frequencies / pricing on this route (as of a search tonight 2/12/17):

AA: 4x (lowest priced fares from $57 - $188 one way depending on the day of the week)
F9: 2x (lowest priced fares from $50 - $128 one way depending on the day of the week)
UA: 6x (lowest priced fares from $43 - $129 one way depending on the day of the week)
WN: 10x (lowest priced fares from $43 - $83 one way depending on the day of the week)

A 1x daily city pair on NK where 4 other carriers combined have 22x daily flights is just not going to cut it, especially when it's not a high fare route to begin with.

I don't really understand NK's strategy for PHX. Looking at NK's other routes out of PHX, they fly PHX - DFW and seasonally PHX - ORD and MSP. They also formerly flew PHX - LAX but that route was cancelled in September with multiple AA, DL, UA, and WN flights and relatively low fares.

Every single one of NK's routes (and the LAX former route) has a minimum of 2 other competitors and high frequencies. PHX - DFW has almost a dozen AA flights to DFW and multiple WN flights to DAL. PHX - ORD has almost a dozen AA flights, multiple UA flights, a F9 flight and multiple WN flights to MDW. PHX - MSP has multiple AA, DL, SY, and WN flights.

The hassle of flying NK at low frequencies for barely any savings over the competitors who offer multiple frequencies, wifi, carry on baggage at no additional charge, and much more useful frequent flyer programs just doesn't seem worth it.

F9 seems to make PHX work as they've found some unserved or underserved markets. F9 is the only carrier flying PHX - CLE, COS, and CVG. In addition, F9's other markets out of PHX are traditionally higher fare markets, markets less susceptible to competition by automobile, markets with only one other competitor, or DEN and ORD which make more sense as F9 routes due to F9's stronger presence in PHX.

Of the ULCC carriers in the PHX area. G4 has found a niche of serving secondary markets from a secondary airport (AZA). F9 has found a niche of serving markets with decent O/D numbers but are either not served or under served by other carriers out of the main airport (PHX). NK hasn't found a niche and seems to have simply decided to add flights to the markets that have the most daily non stops from PHX with the hopes that it would work. LAX didn't. DEN didn't.

Spotter787

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm

[quote="wn676"]There is an RFQ out for a CMAR for SkyTrain Phase 2.

Thank you for posting this. It's very interesting. Looks like SkyTrain will be an airport version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride with the underground and raised sections shown in the route diagram. <If I understand correctly.>

910A

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:34 am

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport splashes a string of 2016 accomplishments across its website: Terminal 3 makeover, No. 1 ranking from a top frequent-flier website and 20 years of British Airways service.

"What a year for Sky Harbor,'' it says.

But last year wasn't great for the city-owned airport by one key measure: passenger traffic.

Figures released Monday show that the number of passengers traveling through Sky Harbor fell 1.4 percent in 2016, the first drop since 2013 and the biggest decline since 2009.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/a ... /97740874/

Speaking of T3, I had my first experience in that terminal yesterday. Holy cow, that's quite a hike from gate 17 to the baggage claim, then back to the SkyTrain..at least one get's their leg moving. :veryhappy:

Vctony

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:02 am

Looks like a F9 and WN jet clipped wings.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /98030232/

blackbox67

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:27 am

looks like it occurs on the northern side. A320 appeared pushing back too close to twy
https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/832487530075336709

futureatp

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Who handles the frontier's ramp in Phoenix?

wn676

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:37 pm

blackbox67 wrote:
looks like it occurs on the northern side. A320 appeared pushing back too close to twy
https://twitter.com/JacdecNew/status/832487530075336709

Vctony wrote:
Looks like a F9 and WN jet clipped wings.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /98030232/

Sounds like F9 was cleared to push off of Gate 25 behind WN. There's about 3 minutes between that clearance and when WN finally came taxiing down C. Flights were F9 756 to DEN and WN 4182 arriving from OKC.

F9 receives push clearance at 23:54, and the aircraft collide around 26:50:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kphx/ ... -0230Z.mp3

wn676

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm

futureatp wrote:
Who handles the frontier's ramp in Phoenix?

I believe it's Simplicity USA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos