4holer

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread 2017

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Any insiders know the reason for the Terminal 4 evacuation?
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

wn676

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:14 pm

4holer wrote:

Heard it was a bomb threat, but it’s being reported as a suspicious package.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

alasizon

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:28 pm

wn676 wrote:
4holer wrote:

Heard it was a bomb threat, but it’s being reported as a suspicious package.

Apparently it was outside of Checkpoint A. Caused quite a mess.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

cathay747

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:43 pm

Anybody catch the DL 744 that came in today? Flew right over our house here in Avondale on approach. Flight Aware shows it routed DTW-Ft. Hood TX (GFK)-March AFB, Riverside CA (RIV) then to here. Goes out tomorrow 0710 back to Ft. Hood, then back to March then back here again tomorrow afternoon I think about 1620 arrival or so. Obviously a military charter, but I wonder why coming here? AZANG?
Try a Little VC-10derness

william

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Why does Phoenix Mesa Gateway have three 10K ft runways? When it was an AFB did it have three runways? How are the runways utilized today?

treebeard787

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 am

william wrote:
Why does Phoenix Mesa Gateway have three 10K ft runways? When it was an AFB did it have three runways? How are the runways utilized today?

It's always been a three runway airport, and was a pretty active training base at it's peak. All three runways are still utilized today, usually most of the commercial traffic uses 12L-30R, but sometimes airlines will use the other two runways. Military still fly in and out pretty regularly. USMC Harriers from Yuma being pretty common, and they usually use 12C-30C, or 12R-30L. The furthest out runway 12R-30L is often used for touch-and-go's as well, as there is a lot of flight school traffic at Gateway.
Allons-y!

777PHX

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:35 am

Military is there almost every day. Plenty of Navy and Marines and some USAF occasionally too. They had an entire squadron of Goshawks there the other day.

There's some interesting civil stuff there too. Mitsubishi had the MRJ test article there for over a month. I've seen one of the 738MAX test planes as well as one of the Bombardier Global test planes as well. The air tanker DC10s are usually there during fire season.

atcsundevil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:13 am

treebeard787 wrote:
william wrote:

It's always been a three runway airport, and was a pretty active training base at it's peak. All three runways are still utilized today, usually most of the commercial traffic uses 12L-30R, but sometimes airlines will use the other two runways. Military still fly in and out pretty regularly. USMC Harriers from Yuma being pretty common, and they usually use 12C-30C, or 12R-30L. The furthest out runway 12R-30L is often used for touch-and-go's as well, as there is a lot of flight school traffic at Gateway.

Luke and Willie were the largest pilot training bases for many years. The runways were built that long by the Air Force to provide training for a multitude of aircraft, although most training primarily focused on fighter aircraft. One of the runways (I believe 12L/30R) was very long, but the asphalt was pretty thin. It was only intended for light aircraft like fighters, since that was the primary role of the base. When the airport reverted to civil use, it was reconstructed for operational flexibility, so while all runways are asphalt (and one is a mixture of concrete), they are now all capable of handling heavy aircraft.

12R/30L is used most often, because it doesn't require crossing runways to the ramp. 12C/30C stays pretty active because it has an ILS. There are surprisingly few ILS runways in Arizona (or maybe it's unsurprising given the weather), and since PHX is effectively unusable by student pilots shooting practice ILS approaches because it's a major airport, it makes the IWA ILS very popular. I believe there's an airborne ILS down near Stanfield, but IWA's is the only one with a runway in the Valley readily accessible for students. 12L/30R is used almost exclusively for touch-and-go ops and pattern work. Because it was reconstructed, it's able to take pretty much any aircraft, so it's common to see Stratotankers fly over from PHX for a half dozen touch-and-gos.

Because they've got more total runway space available than any other facility in the state, as well as an abundance of ramp space, it's made the airport popular for a lot of niche operations. As mentioned, it's a busy airport for flight students (civil and military), a frequently used facility for flight testing for several aircraft manufacturers, and a preferred location for specialty ops like aerial firefighting aircraft. One or two DC-10 tankers are permanently located there over the summer. It's also a hub for DOJ JPATS (Justice Prisoner and Alien Transportation System) via chartered carriers — they'll carry the callsign "Justice" when transporting federal inmates being moved throughout the correctional system, and "Repatriate" when they're used for deportation of individuals being removed from the US.

I spent ten years either living on the adjacent ASU campus or living nearby under the approach path, and saw everything from the An-124, An-225, AF1, B748 test, B788 test, CRJ1000 test, CS100 test, several blimps, C5s, many C17s, the short lived Evergreen B742 tanker, FIFI (one of the last remaining B29s), and pretty much everything in between. It was never boring when it came to spotting interesting things, and that's in large part because of the very long runways they inherited from the Air Force.

travaz

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 am

atcsundevil wrote:
treebeard787 wrote:
william wrote:

Luke and Willie were the largest pilot training bases for many years. The runways were built that long by the Air Force to provide training for a multitude of aircraft, although most training primarily focused on fighter aircraft. One of the runways (I believe 12L/30R) was very long, but the asphalt was pretty thin. It was only intended for light aircraft like fighters, since that was the primary role of the base. When the airport reverted to civil use, it was reconstructed for operational flexibility, so while all runways are asphalt (and one is a mixture of concrete), they are now all capable of handling heavy aircraft.

12R/30L is used most often, because it doesn't require crossing runways to the ramp. 12C/30C stays pretty active because it has an ILS. There are surprisingly few ILS runways in Arizona (or maybe it's unsurprising given the weather), and since PHX is effectively unusable by student pilots shooting practice ILS approaches because it's a major airport, it makes the IWA ILS very popular. I believe there's an airborne ILS down near Stanfield, but IWA's is the only one with a runway in the Valley readily accessible for students. 12L/30R is used almost exclusively for touch-and-go ops and pattern work. Because it was reconstructed, it's able to take pretty much any aircraft, so it's common to see Stratotankers fly over from PHX for a half dozen touch-and-gos.

Because they've got more total runway space available than any other facility in the state, as well as an abundance of ramp space, it's made the airport popular for a lot of niche operations. As mentioned, it's a busy airport for flight students (civil and military), a frequently used facility for flight testing for several aircraft manufacturers, and a preferred location for specialty ops like aerial firefighting aircraft. One or two DC-10 tankers are permanently located there over the summer. It's also a hub for DOJ JPATS (Justice Prisoner and Alien Transportation System) via chartered carriers — they'll carry the callsign "Justice" when transporting federal inmates being moved throughout the correctional system, and "Repatriate" when they're used for deportation of individuals being removed from the US.

I spent ten years either living on the adjacent ASU campus or living nearby under the approach path, and saw everything from the An-124, An-225, AF1, B748 test, B788 test, CRJ1000 test, CS100 test, several blimps, C5s, many C17s, the short lived Evergreen B742 tanker, FIFI (one of the last remaining B29s), and pretty much everything in between. It was never boring when it came to spotting interesting things, and that's in large part because of the very long runways they inherited from the Air Force.

Nice Post Thank you!

william

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:48 am

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3077688 ... a=!3m1!1e3

What was on the east of the airport, the taxiway to the east of 12L went somewhere. According to the masterplan (yes there is a masterplan for this airport) they are looking at building a new terminal on the east side (maybe with jetways?)

Thank you for all the comments, a fascinating airfield. I guess Allegiant's big operation is a drop in the bucket in total airfield ops.

atcsundevil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:13 am

william wrote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3077688,-111.6635186,3452m/data=!3m1!1e3

What was on the east of the airport, the taxiway to the east of 12L went somewhere. According to the masterplan (yes there is a masterplan for this airport) they are looking at building a new terminal on the east side (maybe with jetways?)

Thank you for all the comments, a fascinating airfield. I guess Allegiant's big operation is a drop in the bucket in total airfield ops.

Of course they have a master plan — every airport has one. I don't think the master plan has changed much in the eight years or so since the last time I saw it. The plan is for a roughly 20-30 gate terminal in 2-3 piers on the northeast side with split levels (arrivals and departures), parking garages, the whole shebang. It will link directly with the future extention of SR24, which will link to AZ202 and US60. It will be a complete replacement for the existing complex, which will be converted into an FBO. There are also plans for a new control tower and a rental car facility.

Because the airport hasn't been able to demonstrate the ability to retain more than one carrier for an extended period, they can't justify the expense of the new facility, which will likely cost between $300-500 million on the low end. As with any project, the longer they wait to build, the higher the costs run. Every year they wait, I would guess that roughly $20 million is added to the total cost. If and when they can secure additional carriers (likely along with a long term lease agreement from Allegiant), then the project will move forward.

When it's built, it will effectively be a brand new airport. For years, I had been hoping they could get started by 2020, but given their lack of success with attracting new carriers, it will likely take several years longer before they can proceed.

Interestingly enough, if they have another period of explosive growth, it will put the FAA in a rather unique situation. Currently, the field is Class D airspace operated under the Federal Contract Tower Program (operated by Serco). Not only is IWA the busiest FCT tower in the nation, but it's the busiest in terms of commercial ops for FCTs by a very large margin. I'm also willing to bet it's one of the busiest Class D airspaces in the country. The problem is that the FAA has a clearly defined process for converting an FAA tower into FCT, but not the other way around. They've never had to take a tower back. Furthermore, an increase in traffic might require airspace changes to a Class C (which hasn't been done in a very, very long time because of all the inevitable lawsuits) so that Phoenix TRACON can provide a more comprehensive approach control service and expand their airspace. These have been issues discussed for several years now, although they've been put the back burner because the growth stagnated somewhat. If things result start growing again though, it could make for an unprecedented situation.

tomaheath

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:17 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Anybody catch the DL 744 that came in today? Flew right over our house here in Avondale on approach. Flight Aware shows it routed DTW-Ft. Hood TX (GFK)-March AFB, Riverside CA (RIV) then to here. Goes out tomorrow 0710 back to Ft. Hood, then back to March then back here again tomorrow afternoon I think about 1620 arrival or so. Obviously a military charter, but I wonder why coming here? AZANG?

I saw it on the ramp yesterday morning when I was leaving PHX what was it doing there?

MO11

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
The problem is that the FAA has a clearly defined process for converting an FAA tower into FCT, but not the other way around. They've never had to take a tower back.

FAA never had IWA tower in the first place.

atcsundevil wrote:
Furthermore, an increase in traffic might require airspace changes to a Class C (which hasn't been done in a very, very long time because of all the inevitable lawsuits) so that Phoenix TRACON can provide a more comprehensive approach control service and expand their airspace. These have been issues discussed for several years now, although they've been put the back burner because the growth stagnated somewhat.

Establishment of Class C is based on passenger boardings, not on traffic count. It would be interesting to see a "C" underneath a "B" and how it would affect CHD and FFZ.

atcsundevil wrote:
I believe there's an airborne ILS down near Stanfield,.

Lufthansa has an ILS at Mobile.

atcsundevil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 pm

MO11 wrote:

How do you think it became an FCT in the first place? It was never staffed by FAA controllers, but they had to own the tower first before they could give it away. I'm speaking from a legal sense, not an operational one. The tower operations transferred ownership from DOD to FAA when it became civil use, and the FAA delegated the airport to the FCT program.

MO11 wrote:
Establishment of Class C is based on passenger boardings, not on traffic count. It would be interesting to see a "C" underneath a "B" and how it would affect CHD and FFZ.

I've never seen an official threshold or definition for the creation of new airspace, and I work for the FAA. Maybe there's something out there that I've never seen, but airspace changes are done for operational advantages. That said, I wouldn't understand the rationale for airspace changes occurring based on passenger count. When I see a target on my scope, it doesn't matter to me how many people are on board — what matters is that it requires standard separation from everything else. Too many targets means something needs to change so that I can do my job more effectively.

If you want to see what adjacent Class B and C airspaces look like, take a look at Chicago. The only possible effects on CHD and FFZ is that eastbound departures from CHD and maybe southbound departures departures off of FFZ would require taking to Approach. The primary change from D to C is adding a layer of airspace on top of the existing D airspace, so there may not even be much of an effect if they stay below the Charlie and Bravo shelves. Since Class C only requires two-way communication vs. Class B requiring clearance into the airspace, there wouldn't be a significant change for most pilots. Instead of being told by the tower that frequency change was approved, they'd be told to contact Approach to transition the Class C airspace.

MO11

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:34 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
MO11 wrote:

How do you think it became an FCT in the first place? It was never staffed by FAA controllers, but they had to own the tower first before they could give it away. I'm speaking from a legal sense, not an operational one. The tower operations transferred ownership from DOD to FAA when it became civil use, and the FAA delegated the airport to the FCT program.

What? It went down a little differently than that...

MO11 wrote:

atcsundevil wrote:
I've never seen an official threshold or definition for the creation of new airspace, and I work for the FAA. Maybe there's something out there that I've never seen,

such as FAAO 7400.2, which establishes that. The airport must have 75,000 annual instrument operations or 250,000 enplaned passengers annually. The instrument operations count for FY17 is just under 40,000. The total enplanements for the year ending June 2017 is 668,949. They were at over 177,000 in 2008, so nearly 10 years ago we thought this might eventually happen.

atcsundevil wrote:
The only possible effects on CHD and FFZ is that eastbound departures from CHD and maybe southbound departures departures off of FFZ would require taking to Approach.

I'm sure TRACON would be happy about that.

atcsundevil wrote:
The primary change from D to C is adding a layer of airspace on top of the existing D airspace, so there may not even be much of an effect if they stay below the Charlie and Bravo shelves. Since Class C only requires two-way communication vs. Class B requiring clearance into the airspace, there wouldn't be a significant change for most pilots. Instead of being told by the tower that frequency change was approved, they'd be told to contact Approach to transition the Class C airspace.

That, and the W controller would have to sequence (all) VFR/IFR arrivals into IWA. I'm sure we need more 1200 codes compressed into Class E airspace below other regulatory airspace.

asqx

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 am

atcsundevil wrote:
There are surprisingly few ILS runways in Arizona (or maybe it's unsurprising given the weather), and since PHX is effectively unusable by student pilots shooting practice ILS approaches because it's a major airport, it makes the IWA ILS very popular. I believe there's an airborne ILS down near Stanfield, but IWA's is the only one with a runway in the Valley readily accessible for students.

The ILS at Casa Grande (which starts at the circus that is the Stanfield VOR) is to a runway. You are thinking of the Luke AUX 1 ILS which, while it does technically put you down to the remains of an unused runway, I think any landing on it would constitute an emergency since it's only barely recognizable with all the over grown plant life.

I always preferred to take my students down to Tucson for ILS practice to either International or Ryan. Ryan was always a good one because it was one of the few ILS approaches, or any approach for that matter, where you could get a full circling approach done with approach and tower as they would often let you do the ILS 6R to a circle to 24L.

wn676

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 pm

AA will be discontinuing PHX-IFP next year. Last op date appears to be February 14th.

alasizon

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:43 am

wn676 wrote:
AA will be discontinuing PHX-IFP next year. Last op date appears to be February 14th.

Currently billed as a "seasonal suspension".

skyharborshome

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Air China 777 comes to Arizona to enjoy some dry, warm weather and ends up getting not only the tires and wheels jacked, but the entire gear! Plane on blocks is not an everyday sight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbs1Ojylarq/?taken-by=kilomikechd
Fly CHD!

chrisair

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:38 pm

skyharborshome wrote:
Air China 777 comes to Arizona to enjoy some dry, warm weather and ends up getting not only the tires and wheels jacked, but the entire gear!

This is what happens when you park in the Avenues... :o

travaz

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 am

:stirthepot: No that's what happens when you park that close to Tucson!

SWALUV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 am

Just to mention regarding IWA, the airport has exploded in terms of flight training growth. There was a day earlier this month where it was the busiest airport in the state. Crazy to think how much volume it handles.

skyharborshome

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:05 am

SWALUV wrote:
Just to mention regarding IWA, the airport has exploded in terms of flight training growth. There was a day earlier this month where it was the busiest airport in the state. Crazy to think how much volume it handles.

Both ATP and the UND/ASU partnership is growing very rapidly. Throw in the only reasonable towered ILS approach and you get lots of volume as you stated. That is one reason they started charging ramp fees in my opinion; keeps many of us away from there now.
Fly CHD!

SWALUV

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:04 am

skyharborshome wrote:
SWALUV wrote:

Both ATP and the UND/ASU partnership is growing very rapidly. Throw in the only reasonable towered ILS approach and you get lots of volume as you stated. That is one reason they started charging ramp fees in my opinion; keeps many of us away from there now.

I can personally attest to that. I know ATP/ASU is getting 15 new aircraft delivered by years end to this facility alone, and UND is growing as well. Common practice now to expect at least a 40-50 minute wait to get into the air on the GA side of things just because of the volume.

skyharborshome

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:17 pm

Surprised no one has said anything about the FAA and Class-Action suit settlement about the flight routes. Thought it says it will take a few more months to resolve, do they simply go back to the existing routes and cut the "Grand Avenue" departure routes? I enjoyed these departures myself. Was hoping they would allow so many a day however that seems to not be the case.
Fly CHD!

airzona11

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Yesterday was noticing what seemed to be more than usual takeoffs turning to the Southwest when departing East to West.

4holer

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 pm

skyharborshome wrote:
Surprised no one has said anything about the FAA and Class-Action suit settlement about the flight routes. Thought it says it will take a few more months to resolve, do they simply go back to the existing routes and cut the "Grand Avenue" departure routes? I enjoyed these departures myself. Was hoping they would allow so many a day however that seems to not be the case.

I'm surprised that no one has said anything about last nights BA288 circling a bit (I assume dumping fuel) and returning to PHX. I heard a big roar at my place in Gilbert as it flew low overhead, and it never departs to the southeast.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW288

treebeard787

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm

4holer wrote:
skyharborshome wrote:

I'm surprised that no one has said anything about last nights BA288 circling a bit (I assume dumping fuel) and returning to PHX. I heard a big roar at my place in Gilbert as it flew low overhead, and it never departs to the southeast.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW288

Yeah, from what I hear the number 3 engine suffered an issue on take-off and had to be shut down, hence the need to dump fuel and return.

Not sure how serious the engine issue is, or how long it'll be in PHX for before it can depart again. Tail is G-CIVM.
Allons-y!

Maverick623

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Number 3 engine suffered a conpression stall and associated damage. Lots of loud banging and streaks of flame observed just after rotation.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

4holer

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Maverick623 wrote:
Number 3 engine suffered a conpression stall and associated damage. Lots of loud banging and streaks of flame observed just after rotation.

Interesting. I know the remaining 3 engines were making a whole lotta noise as it flew over. Didn't get outside to see as it was overhead since I checked FR24 on my phone first to see what it was, but even after it passed, you could hear it working hard.

MO11

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:55 pm

airzona11 wrote:
Yesterday was noticing what seemed to be more than usual takeoffs turning to the Southwest when departing East to West.

The departure procedures will stay the same for the next few months.

The next mess will be the six week closure of 8/26 beginning on January 8.

airzona11

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 pm

MO11 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Just in time for the busy season!

paulsaz

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Hopefully they will finish on time. Jan-Feb are 2 of the slowest months, but March is the busiest.

skyharborshome

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm

MO11 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Is it true this is because they messed up the first time?
Fly CHD!

skyharborshome

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Maverick623 wrote:

Loads have been pretty high still, right? Does that mean we get two departures today (meaning a plan shuttled in) or were passengers rerouted?
Fly CHD!

MO11

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:11 pm

skyharborshome wrote:
MO11 wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

Replacing 332 concrete panels. There has been bad concrete in projects dating back to the original construction of runway 7R/25L. Not sure if this is the same culprit.

wn676

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:14 am

MO11 wrote:
skyharborshome wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Replacing 332 concrete panels. There has been bad concrete in projects dating back to the original construction of runway 7R/25L. Not sure if this is the same culprit.

The panels that were replaced in October 2016 began to delaminate almost immediately after the runway reopened. I never heard what exactly caused the issue because as far as I know the mixes all passed QC inspections as they were being delivered to the site. Whatever the cause, it’s an expensive and disruptive fix.

chrisair

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:53 pm

wn676 wrote:
The panels that were replaced in October 2016 began to delaminate almost immediately after the runway reopened. I never heard what exactly caused the issue because as far as I know the mixes all passed QC inspections as they were being delivered to the site. Whatever the cause, it’s an expensive and disruptive fix.

Woohoo! Flow control again on my flights home!

I've noticed the north runway closed at night recently. Hopefully it'll be a quick fix this time (and permanent, unlike the last repair). Any idea if the T2 airlines will be moving into the new T3S when it opens?

Spotter787

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Yes, they will all move to the new concourse at T3 once it is opened. There may be some gate juggling between N and S concourses, but I don't have any details on that.

chrisair

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Spotter787 wrote:
Yes, they will all move to the new concourse at T3 once it is opened. There may be some gate juggling between N and S concourses, but I don't have any details on that.

Isn't T3N being demolished and rebuilt once T3S is open?

wn676

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 am

chrisair wrote:
Spotter787 wrote:

T3N will be reconfigured but not completely demolished. IIRC they’ll have a bump-out mid concourse for concession space, an upper-level club, and a ramp-level BMU.

I think it’s been reported by others in this thread that at least one of the current T2 tenants (SY?) won’t be accommodated in T3 and is looking to move to T4.
Last edited by wn676 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

MO11

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:52 am

No, just a remodel.

alasizon

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:10 am

wn676 wrote:
chrisair wrote:
Spotter787 wrote:

T3N will be reconfigured but not completely demolished. IIRC they’ll have a bump-out mid concourse for concession space, an upper-level club, and a ramp-level BMU.

I think it’s been reported by others in this thread that at least one of the current T2 tenants (SY?) won’t be accommodated in T3 and is looking to move to T4.

The ramp-level BMU is about half way done and most of the beltwork inside the physical new building is installed.

SY is basically going to be homeless so who knows there they will go because there simply isn't any room. They wanted to move into T3 but between UA, AS & NK T3S was pretty much going to be 100% spoken for.

atcsundevil

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 am

chrisair wrote:
Spotter787 wrote:

Yes. The current tenants will move to the new south concourse, then back again after the construction is complete.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos