Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

diverdave
Topic Author

DL Pilots approve new contract

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:45 pm

enilria

Re: DL Pilots approve new contract

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:51 pm

I predict a short period before they start complaining they are underpaid, unless the OPEC deal drives up fuel prices.

LAXintl

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:10 pm

I am sure many pilots at other airlines are thanking their Delta cousins.
Thanks to the new 30% contract raise at DL, other carriers will now get an automatic "me too" snap up adjustment.

MIflyer12

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:22 pm

LAXintl wrote:
I am sure many pilots at other airlines are thanking their Delta cousins.
Thanks to the new 30% contract raise at DL, other carriers will now get an automatic "me too" snap up adjustment.

UA pilots do; AA pilots don't. Do you know the me-too provisions at other major U.S. carriers?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... ar-AAjRJ5k

LAXintl

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
UA pilots do; AA pilots don't. Do you know the me-too provisions at other major U.S. carriers?

Its not just pilot pay. This vote will create a broader chain reaction. For instance DL dispatches will get a raise, which will then mean UA dispatchers get a me too raise, which then creates raises for other workgroups and so on..

AA will certainly be back at the table soon as now all of a sudden many of its work groups end up sitting even further below its peers.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 pm

AA wants to reopen their contract, and tbh they are quite a bit lower on the totem pole than their peers. Don't worry though, the airlines are actually going to save money over the next 20 years with all the retirements.

MSPNWA

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Not a surprising result. I was expecting something around 75/25 yes. Although a not a bobblehead union, it's still not a strong one, so a mediocre contract like this will pass easily. I'd be pretty satisfied if I was management. They got a pretty good deal.

MIflyer12

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
AA wants to reopen their contract, and tbh they are quite a bit lower on the totem pole than their peers.

Well, AA's pilot union wants to reopen the contract. The CEO has already rejected that call.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1390775 ... -2020.html

diverdave
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:45 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
AA wants to reopen their contract, and tbh they are quite a bit lower on the totem pole than their peers. Don't worry though, the airlines are actually going to save money over the next 20 years with all the retirements.

Not really. Those retirements will just exacerbate the shortage, and provide more upward force on salaries.

David

bigbird

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Are there any changes in the Scope clause?

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:01 pm

diverdave wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Not really. Those retirements will just exacerbate the shortage, and provide more upward force on salaries.

David

Wrong.

More than 50% of the pilots are the US3 are maxed out on the payscale. By 2025 it will be less than 15%.

INFINITI329

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:08 pm

bigbird wrote:

It was released like last week that the pilots rejected any change to the scope cluase

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-delta ... SKBN13K2BS

INFINITI329

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:08 pm

bigbird wrote:

It was released like last week that the pilots rejected any change to the scope cluase

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-delta ... SKBN13K2BS

Flighty

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:25 pm

LOL, pour yourselves a stiff drink, stockholders.

FixemFlyem

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Way to go Delta Pilots! Thanks for helping to raise the tide for all professional aviators.

SonomaFlyer

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:43 pm

So much hate for folks working to raise their wages. Face the music folks, there are a huge number of pilots retiring in the next ten years and not nearly enough pilots to fill that gap. In other words, a seller's market. On top of that, many pilots are fighting to shed bankruptcy era contracts and they finally have the clout to do so.

Until we have fully automated planes with no one up front, theirs is a highly specialized and stressful profession. They are paid well and I for one have no issues with that fact.

As for Delta stockholders, they are enjoying the massive benefits of a well run airline that boasts an investment grade stock, a good business plan and a very manageable debt load.

IPFreely

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:03 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
As for Delta stockholders, they are enjoying the massive benefits of a well run airline that boasts an investment grade stock, a good business plan and a very manageable debt load.

All that stuff is great! It should really help shareholders forget that they've lost 0.8% of their investment over the past 12 months. Meanwhile investors in poorly run airlines like UA, AA, HA, and ALK will just have to settle for having a positive return on their investments.

TVNWZ

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Wrong.

More than 50% of the pilots are the US3 are maxed out on the payscale. By 2025 it will be less than 15%.

Do the math on that for me. 35% fewer pilots will not max out over the next 8 years? Is there some sort of hiring bubble 20 years ago? Seems with the 65 year old retirement ago more pilots will be maxed out on the pay scale. Time does not stand still.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:19 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Wrong.

Do the math on that for me. 35% fewer pilots will not max out over the next 8 years? Is there some sort of hiring bubble 20 years ago? Seems with the 65 year old retirement ago more pilots will be maxed out on the pay scale. Time does not stand still.

Furloughing the junior hires post 9/11 had the side effect of making the rosters extremely senior. It takes 12 years to max the payscale at AA. Everyone who survived is sitting at max pay right now. With the mass retirements picking up you have a huge wave of F/O's upgrading to Y1 PIC pay and Y1 F/O's flowing to the left seat from MQ, PSA etc.. while kicking the maxed pay captains out the door into retirement.

This is much better explained on somewhere like APC than a.net.

oosnowrat

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Serious question about scope:

If the seats on regional planes are capped at 76, and the number of regional planes that can be operated is capped, why does the MTOW of the regional plane matter?

Polot

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:07 pm

oosnowrat wrote:
Serious question about scope:

If the seats on regional planes are capped at 76, and the number of regional planes that can be operated is capped, why does the MTOW of the regional plane matter?

Probably to stop the possibility of the airline starting things like all J transatlantic service a la BA's A318 and farming it out to cheaper labor.

reltney

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:34 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
So much hate for folks working to raise their wages. Face the music folks, there are a huge number of pilots retiring in the next ten years and not nearly enough pilots to fill that gap. In other words, a seller's market. On top of that, many pilots are fighting to shed bankruptcy era contracts and they finally have the clout to do so.

Until we have fully automated planes with no one up front, theirs is a highly specialized and stressful profession. They are paid well and I for one have no issues with that fact.

I like what you say with one exception. What stress are you talking about? There is no stress when I fly. I love my job and would never work in a stressed Enviroment. If you know a pilot who is stressed at their flying job, they should never be in the cockpit. Give me DCA in the snow at minimums with only one thrust reverser and max crosswinds in a 757 at max landing weight, my pulse rate will be slow and BP low every time. Lack of confidence causes stress and invites mistakes. Complacency is not good either so don't confuse confidence with complacency. You could not do this job stressed. If you get on a plane and the pilot is stressed, get off! Danger danger danger......

bobnwa

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:37 pm

enilria wrote:
I predict a short period before they start complaining they are underpaid, unless the OPEC deal drives up fuel prices.

They should join the AA pilots and complain both groups are underpaid.

exunited

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:37 pm

reltney wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

I like what you say with one exception. What stress are you talking about? There is no stress when I fly. I love my job and would never work in a stressed Enviroment. If you know a pilot who is stressed at their flying job, they should never be in the cockpit. Give me DCA in the snow at minimums with only one thrust reverser and max crosswinds in a 757 at max landing weight, my pulse rate will be slow and BP low every time. Lack of confidence causes stress and invites mistakes. Complacency is not good either so don't confuse confidence with complacency. You could not do this job stressed. If you get on a plane and the pilot is stressed, get off! Danger danger danger......

Unbridled over confidence and bravado has killed many more people than a dose of healthy respect for what one is doing. I would be happy not to ride on the flight with the over confident pilot. A professional knows his limitations and I hope you find yours before there is a heap of smoldering aluminum involved.

exunited

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:43 pm

As far as the Delta T/A, good on them, get back whatever you can before they come back crying for give backs next time, and there will be a next time. The fact that we get a "mee too" bump is all the better.

SonomaFlyer

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 pm

reltney wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

It's great you love your job. It's great that nothing EVER fazes you and that you are totally unconcerned about the hypothetical landing you describe. However, stress takes many forms. Pilots should of course be calm in difficult situations but not blase about the risks like the hypothetical you describe. When you add in multi day trips which often cross oceans and multiple time zones, the stresses involved are more than situational...that is unless you are immune to the travel and jet lag etc.

usdcaguy

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:37 pm

How does the new contract impact the sharing of JV flying (not just the regional scope)? Will the flying be 50/50 with all JV partners, or was another agreement reached?

OOer

Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 pm

So where's all the "A union at Delta would change their direct relationship and kill their culture" folks? Seems to me that Delta pilots are living proof that you can be part of the Delta family and still have a union contract that provides for your REAL family (the one at home).

Flighty

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:30 am

Oh I don't blame pilots, hell yeah get that 300k compensation while you can. But can I just make one small request, please don't cry when furloughs and payouts occur in the future. We are at the high point of a cycle. The low point of the cycle is liquidation, bankruptcy, sudden and permanent joblessness. Many, many former pilots out there will attest to that.

It's a roller coaster, it's luck of the draw, enjoy life while you can! And thanks for the safe flights pilots!

jfern022

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:37 am

OOer wrote:
So where's all the "A union at Delta would change their direct relationship and kill their culture" folks? Seems to me that Delta pilots are living proof that you can be part of the Delta family and still have a union contract that provides for your REAL family (the one at home).

Because the pilot group has a lot of rules and regulations governing their profession, since you know, they are in command of an airplane. The union also helps protect that. No other work group in Delta has the amount of responsibility and rules to abide by then the pilot group.

reltney

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:13 am

SonomaFlyer wrote:
reltney wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

It's great you love your job. It's great that nothing EVER fazes you and that you are totally unconcerned about the hypothetical landing you describe. However, stress takes many forms. Pilots should of course be calm in difficult situations but not blase about the risks like the hypothetical you describe. When you add in multi day trips which often cross oceans and multiple time zones, the stresses involved are more than situational...that is unless you are immune to the travel and jet lag etc.

You bring good points but immune is not the word. How you deal with outside influences it is the word. I fly extra long haul and short 5 leg days. You find a way to deal with it. You have to or your cooked! BTW, the hypothetical DCA landing is a normal winter weather type day. Done it many times. The next week I have been in London or AMS heading down to India. 2 weeks later holding at the gate in JAX. You learn to deal with it. Deal with stress and never bring it into the cockpit. Again, if you find a pilot stressed, time to leave the plane. Just facts..

Again, you have good points but stressed in a cockpit usually is a disaster waiting to happen. Not acceptable.

Cheers..

alasizon

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:39 am

jfern022 wrote:
Because the pilot group has a lot of rules and regulations governing their profession, since you know, they are in command of an airplane. The union also helps protect that. No other work group in Delta has the amount of responsibility and rules to abide by then the pilot group.

I'm sorry, but if you think ramp service doesn't have the same amount of responsibility, you're not aware of how big a piece W&B and ground safety are. I'll agree pilots have far more rules (FARs are far more expansive than ground operations manuals) but no matter what the pilot does, he nor the autopilot aircraft can correct a W&B error or a piece of FOD into the running engine.

airtechy

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:42 am

It would be interesting to an outsider...but longtime Delta passenger...to know what changed in this contract that made it acceptable to the pilots vs. the earlier proposal that was soundly rejected. At the time, I recall posts that said money was not the main reason for rejection. This one boosted the money, but were other issues addressed? Comments?

If all the pilot contracts had a "bump up" clause, what's to break the bump up loop. Now at least United's rates will go up. What if Delta had a bump up clause. Wouldn't that never end? :?

StrandedAtMKG

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:06 am

SonomaFlyer wrote:

This. A.net has always had a strong conservative, anti-union, anti-worker bent. The reality is that working groups across the industry took it on the chin for the last 15 years to bring airlines back to profitability, and now that airlines are raking in the cash again it's time to compensate the people who keep the airline running.

(For the record, the pilots at the US4 are the working group I'm least worried about. They're pretty well compensated. It's the regional pilots, the regional F/As, the rampers and the other ops staff I'm worried about. As far as regional pilots, there is a pilot shortage, and every economics class I've ever taken has taught me that if there's a shortage of people willing to perform a job eventually wages will rise. Pilots at regionals do the exact same job as their counterparts at the majors, just with smaller planes. Airlines better get used to it, suck it up, and start paying living wages for both pilots and F/As at regionals or they're not going to make it.)

ASFlyer

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:35 am

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

This. A.net has always had a strong conservative, anti-union, anti-worker bent. The reality is that working groups across the industry took it on the chin for the last 15 years to bring airlines back to profitability, and now that airlines are raking in the cash again it's time to compensate the people who keep the airline running.

(For the record, the pilots at the US4 are the working group I'm least worried about. They're pretty well compensated. It's the regional pilots, the regional F/As, the rampers and the other ops staff I'm worried about. As far as regional pilots, there is a pilot shortage, and every economics class I've ever taken has taught me that if there's a shortage of people willing to perform a job eventually wages will rise. Pilots at regionals do the exact same job as their counterparts at the majors, just with smaller planes. Airlines better get used to it, suck it up, and start paying living wages for both pilots and F/As at regionals or they're not going to make it.)

best. post. ever.

you can drop that mike and walk off the stage now. There's little left to say. Though I'm sure there will be plenty said.

ASFlyer

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:44 am

jfern022 wrote:
OOer wrote:

Oh give it a rest. There wouldn't be a need for pilots without all the terrific customer service people that take care of the passengers both before, during and after the passengers experience. Every person that works at an airline has a responsibility that makes it possible for every other person to have their job. Pilots are a part of that, as are ramp agents, CSA's, accountants, flight attendants... The airlines don't revolve around pilots.

n562wn

Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:18 am

ASFlyer wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
OOer wrote:

Oh give it a rest. There wouldn't be a need for pilots without all the terrific customer service people that take care of the passengers both before, during and after the passengers experience. Every person that works at an airline has a responsibility that makes it possible for every other person to have their job. Pilots are a part of that, as are ramp agents, CSA's, accountants, flight attendants... The airlines don't revolve around pilots.

Perhaps Sir/Ma'am you should "give it a rest." You could easily argue that there wouldn't be a need for all the terrific customer service of people that take care of the passengers both before, during and after the flight if there were no-one to actually to provide the service to actually fly the passengers to where they want to be, so what's your point? This is truly the mindset that perpetuates around the airlines. It's as if they forget the whole concept of an airline is to provide transportation from point A to B. The pure disdain that some display at this site for the people that devote their whole lives to a goal to be put in a position to actually transport people throughout the globe for a living is truly nauseating. There literally is NOBODY that has more skin in the airline game than pilots, period dot. ( A pilot's airline fails or furloughs and they find themselves on the street again looking for a job if lucky, making peanuts meanwhile the CEO and high officials pull their golden parachutes). Begrudging pilots for what they make or achieve in contract negotiations is simply petty. I know that won't settle well with all the armchair CEO's but it's the truth.

jfern022

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:06 pm

alasizon wrote:
jfern022 wrote:

I'm sorry, but if you think ramp service doesn't have the same amount of responsibility, you're not aware of how big a piece W&B and ground safety are. I'll agree pilots have far more rules (FARs are far more expansive than ground operations manuals) but no matter what the pilot does, he nor the autopilot aircraft can correct a W&B error or a piece of FOD into the running engine.

Having been a crew chief and ramp supervisor, I speak from experience. Not saying the ramp or passenger service, or anyone else isn't important, but the pilots role being the controls is the most important. I think the next group behind them would be TechOps.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:44 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:

Some of the regionals have begun to increase the compensation package. Any of the 4 regionals owned by their mainline carrier don't pay anything less than $50,000 first year, some more than that. PSA, Piedmont, Envoy and Endeavor, for those who are curious. The regionals that won't be able to respond will be the ones that are in trouble, which are the very low end historically bad places to work (Mesa, GoJet, Transtates, etc...)

ASFlyer

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:59 pm

n562wn wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
jfern022 wrote:

Perhaps Sir/Ma'am you should "give it a rest." You could easily argue that there wouldn't be a need for all the terrific customer service of people that take care of the passengers both before, during and after the flight if there were no-one to actually to provide the service to actually fly the passengers to where they want to be, so what's your point? This is truly the mindset that perpetuates around the airlines. It's as if they forget the whole concept of an airline is to provide transportation from point A to B. The pure disdain that some display at this site for the people that devote their whole lives to a goal to be put in a position to actually transport people throughout the globe for a living is truly nauseating. There literally is NOBODY that has more skin in the airline game than pilots, period dot. ( A pilot's airline fails or furloughs and they find themselves on the street again looking for a job if lucky, making peanuts meanwhile the CEO and high officials pull their golden parachutes). Begrudging pilots for what they make or achieve in contract negotiations is simply petty. I know that won't settle well with all the armchair CEO's but it's the truth.

No disdain, simply saying, as you also pointed out, that everyone plays a uniquely important role in the success (or lax thereof) of an airline. There would be no point in an airline providing transport if there were nobody that wanted your service. Pilots fly the planes. One part of the puzzle. Period.

azjubilee

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:46 pm

ASFlyer wrote:

GMAFB. Yes, all employees are integral to the efficient and safe operation of an airline. Pilots can't do their jobs, until everyone else has done theirs and done theirs effectively. Be that as it may, there is indeed a hierarchy of responsibilities and along with it, the pay that those positions command. Ever heard of the phrase "the buck stops here?" Well... the buck stops in the flight deck, with the Captain having the ultimate authority and responsibility.

Good on the DL pilots for raising the bar for the rest of the industry. And for the record, much attention does indeed need to be paid at the regional level. Wages that are commensurate with their responsibility, position in the industry and the planes they fly, is paramount.

ASFlyer

Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:57 pm

azjubilee wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

GMAFB. Yes, all employees are integral to the efficient and safe operation of an airline. Pilots can't do their jobs, until everyone else has done theirs and done theirs effectively. Be that as it may, there is indeed a hierarchy of responsibilities and along with it, the pay that those positions command. Ever heard of the phrase "the buck stops here?" Well... the buck stops in the flight deck, with the Captain having the ultimate authority and responsibility.

Good on the DL pilots for raising the bar for the rest of the industry. And for the record, much attention does indeed need to be paid at the regional level. Wages that are commensurate with their responsibility, position in the industry and the planes they fly, is paramount.

Look, I'm not disputing the tremendous responsibility that Pilots have, nor am I arguing that Pilots spend a lot of money to break into their chosen profession. All I'm saying is that the idea that an entire airline revolves around Pilots and pilots only is a little tiring. Yes, they deserve to make a good pay check and I'm really glad that the DL Pilots have raised the bar for Pilots everywhere else (I wish the DL FA's would take a hint from their Pilot counterparts). There are many other integral pieces to the operation. One need only to look at Alaska's flight 261 (among other accidents) to see that even the most skilled Pilots can't save a plane load of passengers if everyone else in the operation isn't doing their job effectively.

IPFreely

Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:52 pm

exunited wrote:
Unbridled over confidence and bravado has killed many more people than a dose of healthy respect for what one is doing.

I wouldn't take unbridled internet confidence and bravado seriously. Anyone can have unbridled confidence on the internet. It's just like all the internet tough guys who will beat up anyone who gets in their way online. The general truth about internet tough guys is the tougher they are on the internet the more likely they are to wet themselves in real life. The same rule applies to overconfident internet guys.

reltney

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 pm

exunited wrote:
reltney wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

Unbridled over confidence and bravado has killed many more people than a dose of healthy respect for what one is doing. I would be happy not to ride on the flight with the over confident pilot. A professional knows his limitations and I hope you find yours before there is a heap of smoldering aluminum involved.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos