ADrum23

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? Part 2

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:31 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Do anyone know how the Westjet to Calgary route is doing? I have been curious.

Not sure, but it’s only seasonal and I think it will be suspended from now until next May. I really wish WestJet would upgrade the YYZ flight from Encore to mainline though.

flymco753

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm still eagerly awaiting an NK possibility for BNA. In the past they generally announce new stations in the December/January time frame. We know DTW and DFW are for sure, but as to what else they add, I don't know because don't forget they'd probably use the one gate at the end of B so in terms of what destinations will be served other than those 2 are in the air. You also should take into account, NK has halted LAX growth and actually cut some service. LAS is a sun destination so a summer add would make no sense, same with most FL routes other than the connection opportunities at FLL. ORD has too much competition in relation to true market size and DTW can offer the same west coast connections. We'll see what happens if it does, I can truly imagine being on the inaugural flight.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

ADrum23

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I'm still eagerly awaiting an NK possibility for BNA. In the past they generally announce new stations in the December/January time frame. We know DTW and DFW are for sure, but as to what else they add, I don't know because don't forget they'd probably use the one gate at the end of B so in terms of what destinations will be served other than those 2 are in the air. You also should take into account, NK has halted LAX growth and actually cut some service. LAS is a sun destination so a summer add would make no sense, same with most FL routes other than the connection opportunities at FLL. ORD has too much competition in relation to true market size and DTW can offer the same west coast connections. We'll see what happens if it does, I can truly imagine being on the inaugural flight.

I think DFW, DTW and FLL would be perfect to start with. They are operations bases for Spirit and those routes out of BNA could use some competition.

NK needs to get going on adding new cities. F9 is kicking their butt in this regard. In addition to BNA, NK should start expanding into airports such as AUS, RDU, CLT, STL, IND, CVG, etc.

flymco753

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:58 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
NK needs to get going on adding new cities. F9 is kicking their butt in this regard. In addition to BNA, NK should start expanding into airports such as AUS, RDU, CLT, STL, IND, CVG, etc.
I think NK is letting F9 do mass expansion because NK is pretty smart with the stations they open, so realistically NK would probably go to airports where F9 isn't dominant which is why I heavily question NK doing BNA-MCO where there's already a flag and 2 LCC's on it. Out of all of the stations above I really only see AUS and RDU in the near term.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

AAvgeek744

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:35 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Yes, a light rail to downtown should be at, or near the top of the list of needed transit improvements in the Nashville metro area. Right up there with more park and rides and a expansion of the Music City Star commuter rail.

Not sure Music City Star is the right type rail system. Nashville would support more of a light rail system like Dallas, Portland, OR and others. I doubt it'll ever happen. Lots of in this city are complaining we are growing too fast while transit isn't keeping up. For the first time since completion of widening, I drove I-65 from downtown to Vietnam Vets Pkwy. Even at 5 and 6 lanes on each side, its stays congested. Citizens are blaming Mayor Barry when they should be blaming those who designed the interstate system in the 50's. Three major highways converge on the downtown loop. No decent alternative ring road hurts even more.

I personally think they should finish the northern part of I-840, but that’s a discussion for the aaroads forum.

Anyway, hopefully some new service will be announced soon at BNA. It’s been awhile.......

They've already said the north part of 840 is dead. It's really too far out to make it a viable bypass of the city, and there are virtually no amenities - gas stations, truck stops, places to eat. We could start implementing those Boeing taxis :banghead:

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:00 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Not sure Music City Star is the right type rail system. Nashville would support more of a light rail system like Dallas, Portland, OR and others. I doubt it'll ever happen. Lots of in this city are complaining we are growing too fast while transit isn't keeping up. For the first time since completion of widening, I drove I-65 from downtown to Vietnam Vets Pkwy. Even at 5 and 6 lanes on each side, its stays congested. Citizens are blaming Mayor Barry when they should be blaming those who designed the interstate system in the 50's. Three major highways converge on the downtown loop. No decent alternative ring road hurts even more.

I personally think they should finish the northern part of I-840, but that’s a discussion for the aaroads forum.

Anyway, hopefully some new service will be announced soon at BNA. It’s been awhile.......

They've already said the north part of 840 is dead. It's really too far out to make it a viable bypass of the city, and there are virtually no amenities - gas stations, truck stops, places to eat. We could start implementing those Boeing taxis :banghead:

What would the north half of 840 provide that Briley doesn’t? Not much.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

AAvgeek744

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What would the north half of 840 provide that Briley doesn’t? Not much.

It really wouldn't. 840 was poorly designed because in too far out. Briley works well from White Bridge Road north and around Opryland to I-40. Then the bottlenecks kick in, which is why ring road about where OHB is located, but that's not very likely.

Jshank83

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Interesting dealings in Nashville.

Airport CEO fired.

- The board’s complaints about Wigington centered on accusations that he kept board members in the dark on big decisions.

- The $2.6 million in incentives for British Airways was a new revelation. Wigington’s contract required board approval for such large payments, according to the document spelling out reasons for termination.

- The incentives included marketing funds and waiving airline fees over the next two years for British Airways.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2 ... 775928001/

ADrum23

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Airport CEO fired.

- The board’s complaints about Wigington centered on accusations that he kept board members in the dark on big decisions.

- The $2.6 million in incentives for British Airways was a new revelation. Wigington’s contract required board approval for such large payments, according to the document spelling out reasons for termination.

- The incentives included marketing funds and waiving airline fees over the next two years for British Airways.

Beat me to it. I was going to mention this article.

I hope this doesn't derail the BA flight. And I hope they get new leadership fast, BNA doesn't need any distractions right now as it is growing and needs to press on with BNA Vision as well as attracting new flights.

Maybe this is why we haven't seen any new announcements at BNA for almost 3 months.........

Jshank83

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Airport CEO fired.

Beat me to it. I was going to mention this article.

I hope this doesn't derail the BA flight. And I hope they get new leadership fast, BNA doesn't need any distractions right now as it is growing and needs to press on with BNA Vision as well as attracting new flights.

Maybe this is why we haven't seen any new announcements at BNA for almost 3 months.........

Does the board have to approve the incentives before it is 100% confirmed? Even if they do, I wouldn't think at this point they would say no. They have already been selling tickets for awhile now.

ADrum23

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 pm

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/06/21/american-embraer-190/

Interesting. The Embraer 190 jet is considered a mainline flight on AA, and AA runs the E190 on BNA-PHL. As such, BNA technically has mainline service to PHL on AA. I bet when they phase out the E190 jet in 2019, they will replace it with a A319/320 or a 738.

This leave ORD as the only major AA hub that BNA does not have mainline service to.

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

Interesting. The Embraer 190 jet is considered a mainline flight on AA, and AA runs the E190 on BNA-PHL. As such, BNA technically has mainline service to PHL on AA. I bet when they phase out the E190 jet in 2019, they will replace it with a A319/320 or a 738.

This leave ORD as the only major AA hub that BNA does not have mainline service to.

This article actually makes a point that is important to the "mainline to PHL discussion." On the LUS side of the house, the distinction between YX flights (most BNA-PHL flights in most schedules) and 190 fights is minimal at best. YX uses mainline gates at CLT, DCA, and PHL, and the experience is consistent with mainline in virtually every respect.

It's different at BNA, by the way, because Envoy handles Eagle flights. That's one of the last vestiges of the hub.

ADrum23

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

This article actually makes a point that is important to the "mainline to PHL discussion." On the LUS side of the house, the distinction between YX flights (most BNA-PHL flights in most schedules) and 190 fights is minimal at best. YX uses mainline gates at CLT, DCA, and PHL, and the experience is consistent with mainline in virtually every respect.

It's different at BNA, by the way, because Envoy handles Eagle flights. That's one of the last vestiges of the hub.

Well, apparently, they are downgrading the E190's to Eagle/Republic-operated E175's after Feb 14, so it will be short-lived anyway. Maybe when they get the MAX 8 in their fleet, AA will free up some 738's to upgauge one of the BNA-ORD/PHL flights to mainline........

AAvgeek744

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Well, apparently, they are downgrading the E190's to Eagle/Republic-operated E175's after Feb 14, so it will be short-lived anyway. Maybe when they get the MAX 8 in their fleet, AA will free up some 738's to upgauge one of the BNA-ORD/PHL flights to mainline........

I think you are dreaming too much on mainline to ORD. That route seems destined to be E75/CR9 in the long term, maybe 1 or 2 mainline, but I would not count on it. I'd fly 2x2 over 3x3 mainline config any day.

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:17 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I think you are dreaming too much on mainline to ORD. That route seems destined to be E75/CR9 in the long term, maybe 1 or 2 mainline, but I would not count on it. I'd fly 2x2 over 3x3 mainline config any day.

UA already runs a A319 year round on one of the flights (sometimes a 737 on a second), WN runs a 737 to MDW and I have a feeling when NK enters BNA in the not too distance future, they will launch BNA-ORD (not during the initial launch, but sometime later), which would be run with a A319/320. I just don't understand why AA hasn't upgauged one of 9 eagle flights to a mainline, especially since similar airports to BNA have AA mainline to ORD (AUS, MSY, RDU, STL, heck, even IND has seasonal mainline service!). Yet, BNA, despite being a former hub, does not. They felt the need to upgauge one of the BNA-MIA flights to mainline, but not ORD?

Speaking as someone who is originally from the Chicago area, ORD is much more convenient to get to than MDW for most of Chicagoland. I'd rather fly into ORD than MDW any day of the week. Yet for flying into ORD out of BNA, you have to fly either UA or AA. I don't like flying UA because they are horrible, but at least they have a daily mainline option. AA only has regional jet service. I don't like flying on RJs because the planes are smaller and they tend to be more delay-prone.

Anyway, rant over, but I just wish AA would run a 737 on one of the BNA-ORD flights.......

Midwestindy

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

UA already runs a A319 year round on one of the flights (sometimes a 737 on a second), WN runs a 737 to MDW and I have a feeling when NK enters BNA in the not too distance future, they will launch BNA-ORD (not during the initial launch, but sometime later), which would be run with a A319/320. I just don't understand why AA hasn't upgauged one of 9 eagle flights to a mainline, especially since similar airports to BNA have AA mainline to ORD (AUS, MSY, RDU, STL, heck, even IND has seasonal mainline service!). Yet, BNA, despite being a former hub, does not. They felt the need to upgauge one of the BNA-MIA flights to mainline, but not ORD?

Speaking as someone who is originally from the Chicago area, ORD is much more convenient to get to than MDW for most of Chicagoland. I'd rather fly into ORD than MDW any day of the week. Yet for flying into ORD out of BNA, you have to fly either UA or AA. I don't like flying UA because they are horrible, but at least they have a daily mainline option. AA only has regional jet service. I don't like flying on RJs because the planes are smaller and they tend to be more delay-prone.

Anyway, rant over, but I just wish AA would run a 737 on one of the BNA-ORD flights.......

To be fair looking at tomorrows schedule. WN is running 1,065 seats each way, which is way more than WN runs in any of those other airports (other than STL). So it makes sense that AA may run some mainline aircraft on those routes rather than BNA due to WN's presence.

Although it looks like UA isn't running any mainline on BNA-ORD for a while, interestingly enough though I am seeing a 757-300 on that route on the Sunday after Thanksgiving so that is nice.
2017: ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW DXB FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LCY LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What exactly is better about the 738 product versus an E75?

And what do you mean by “most of Chicagoland”? By the time you factor in the fact that MDW is a lot smaller and thus much faster to navigate, there are very few places for which ORD is better. Heck, a fast MDW experience can get you to Rosemont faster than a slow ORD experience.

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 am

Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

And what do you mean by “most of Chicagoland”? By the time you factor in the fact that MDW is a lot smaller and thus much faster to navigate, there are very few places for which ORD is better. Heck, a fast MDW experience can get you to Rosemont faster than a slow ORD experience.

I said more convenient to get to, not navigate. Midway is obviously easier to navigate, but its because its a smaller airport that is dominated by WN. But getting there is a drag, especially if you live in the Northern/Northwestern/Western suburbs of Chicago (like where I am from and where my family is). For example, I have family in the Huntley/Crystal Lake area, it is much easier to travel to ORD than MDW. You just hop on I-90 to I-190 and loop in and out of the airport as opposed to going all the way down the Tri-State and navigating on the congestion-prone Stevenson (I-55) to Midway (not to mention you save a bit of toll money by not having to use the Tri-State).

As for 738 vs E75? Simple. As I said, it's a bigger airplane, has regular AA pilots and flight crew and is less delay-prone. RJs are delay-prone, more cramped and tend to (not exclusively though), have more "amateurish" flight crews, if you know what I mean.

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:29 am

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

To be fair looking at tomorrows schedule. WN is running 1,065 seats each way, which is way more than WN runs in any of those other airports (other than STL). So it makes sense that AA may run some mainline aircraft on those routes rather than BNA due to WN's presence.

Although it looks like UA isn't running any mainline on BNA-ORD for a while, interestingly enough though I am seeing a 757-300 on that route on the Sunday after Thanksgiving so that is nice.

Fair point, but still, just upgauging to a 738 on one of the morning or evening flights would make it a more attractive option for those who don't want to go to MDW. Technically, more traffic from BNA goes on AA and UA into ORD than WN to MDW (288,000 vs 246,000 in FY 2016). Personally, I think on this route, capacity > frequency.

I do wonder if the WN frequency on BNA-MDW will (eventually) go down once BNA-MKE is launched, which will be twice a day. Some of that traffic has to be coming from Milwaukee.

I see a 737-700 on Thanksgiving weekend, but you're right, UA seems to have dropped the daily A319 flights until January (if I am reading it right).

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

I said more convenient to get to, not navigate. Midway is obviously easier to navigate, but its because its a smaller airport that is dominated by WN. But getting there is a drag, especially if you live in the Northern/Northwestern/Western suburbs of Chicago (like where I am from and where my family is). For example, I have family in the Huntley/Crystal Lake area, it is much easier to travel to ORD than MDW. You just hop on I-90 to I-190 and loop in and out of the airport as opposed to going all the way down the Tri-State and navigating on the congestion-prone Stevenson (I-55) to Midway (not to mention you save a bit of toll money by not having to use the Tri-State).

As for 738 vs E75? Simple. As I said, it's a bigger airplane, has regular AA pilots and flight crew and is less delay-prone. RJs are delay-prone, more cramped and tend to (not exclusively though), have more "amateurish" flight crews, if you know what I mean.

There is nothing simple about getting into ORD. The choices are the Kennedy and Manheim. Period. There are no alternatives. Getting into Midway requires only driving on a bit of Cicero (and that's not even technically required; those with rental cars or parking in the long-term garages on 55th can avoid Cicero altogether). There are some parts of the Chicago area for which ORD is the most convenient airport, but with regard to flying to BNA specifically many of those areas will prefer MKE once BNA-MKE starts. The MKE airport experience is how MDW was 10 years ago with very little congestion and rental cars and plentiful parking steps from baggage claim.

flymco753

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:04 am

AA in particular seems to respond to NK by lowering prices as opposed to upgauging aircraft, so if NK adds BNA-ORD at some point I don't see AA deploying a mainline in response, whereas if NK added BNA-DTW, it'd probably become mostly 319/320 or 738/9.

Midwestindy

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 am

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... f-22oct17/
British Airways in recent schedule update extended operational schedule listing into the third week of November 2018. In initial listing for winter 2018/19 season, the oneWorld member is adjusting operational frequencies for London Heathrow – Nashville route, from 28OCT18. For winter season, this route will be served 4 times a week, instead of 5 during summer season.

Boeing 787-8 operates this route. The following schedule is effective 04NOV18.

BA223 LHR1445 – 1750BNA 788 x247
BA222 BNA1920 – 0925+1LHR 788 x247

I wonder if this is related to the CEO debacle?
2017: ATL AMS BCN BWI BOS CDG CLT MDW ORD CVG DFW DAL DAB DEN DTW DXB FLL FCO RSW GNV BDL HNL IAH IND MCI LAS LAX LCY LGW LHR LOS SDF MEM MIA MKE MSP MUC BNA EWR HVN MSY JFK LGA MCO SFB ORY PHX PHL PVD RDU RAP RIC SLC STL CPS PIE SEA TPA DCA IAD ZRH

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/275360/british-airways-w18-nashville-frequency-adjustment-as-of-22oct17/
British Airways in recent schedule update extended operational schedule listing into the third week of November 2018. In initial listing for winter 2018/19 season, the oneWorld member is adjusting operational frequencies for London Heathrow – Nashville route, from 28OCT18. For winter season, this route will be served 4 times a week, instead of 5 during summer season.

Maybe, but it’s probably more related to not as strong of demand in the winter months. I was surprised when they announced 5x week on this route. I thought 4x for the first year would be more appropriate since BNA is an unproven market. Thought I will say it is a bit odd they are cutting frequency before the flight even begins and the load factors come in. Nevertheless, I’m still confident this will be a successful flight, not AUS-level success, but I could see it becoming daily someday.

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:39 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/275360/british-airways-w18-nashville-frequency-adjustment-as-of-22oct17/

Maybe, but it’s probably more related to not as strong of demand in the winter months. I was surprised when they announced 5x week on this route. I thought 4x for the first year would be more appropriate since BNA is an unproven market. Thought I will say it is a bit odd they are cutting frequency before the flight even begins and the load factors come in. Nevertheless, I’m still confident this will be a successful flight, not AUS-level success, but I could see it becoming daily someday.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing a statement from BA that they intended to operate the route 5/week in the winter. All of the press I recall focused on the initial (summer) schedule.
Last edited by Cubsrule on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evank516

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Welp, my sister just moved to Nashville, guess I need to start following this thread. Though getting to BNA from NYC is mediocre at this point IMO. No mainline except WN from LGA. I wonder if B6 will ever restart JFK-BNA?

flymco753

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:40 pm

evank516 wrote:
Welp, my sister just moved to Nashville, guess I need to start following this thread. Though getting to BNA from NYC is mediocre at this point IMO. No mainline except WN from LGA. I wonder if B6 will ever restart JFK-BNA?
I could see B6 doing a mass announcement which could include BNA/CLE/DTW/MSP to JFK, all would most likely be on E90's.

evank516

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:43 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
I could see B6 doing a mass announcement which could include BNA/CLE/DTW/MSP to JFK, all would most likely be on E90's.

Maybe. Though I'm wondering if something like that would be waiting until their fleet review of the E190s is completed first.

msycajun

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm

flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

With what slots?

Capn

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:19 pm

evank516 wrote:

Just so you know, DL has 6 nonstops from LGA to BNA, and 2 daily from JFK. They are all dual class regionals with WIFI and quite comfortable.
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

flymco753

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm

msycajun wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

With what slots?
Hence why I used the word could, never said they would. JFK slots are extremely difficult to come upon.

evank516

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Capn wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Just so you know, DL has 6 nonstops from LGA to BNA, and 2 daily from JFK. They are all dual class regionals with WIFI and quite comfortable.

I do know. I also know that when the stuff hits the fan those are the first flights to get the axe. NYC Weather is very unpredictable and the airports are very delay prone. In the choice between mainline and RJs, I go with mainline due to the lower cancellation rates. Until something better comes up it'll just be DL through ATL.

UALFAson

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 pm

evank516 wrote:

Actually, UA offers daily mainline service from EWR. Today it's 3x--an A320 and 2 737-800s.

Cubsrule wrote:

Except AA doesn't fly the E75 on BNA-ORD. I fly that route at least once a month and it is almost always a CRJ-700, sometimes something smaller (E145, CRJ-200). As you know, that means valet gate-checked bags, which I hate waiting for, especially when half the plane is business people and they've got to handle 30+ bags.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

evank516

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:07 pm

UALFAson wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Actually, UA offers daily mainline service from EWR. Today it's 3x--an A320 and 2 737-800s.

Yes they do. However, EWR is only convenient for a select part of the NYC Area, not the suburbs on Long Island.

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:25 pm

UALFAson wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Except AA doesn't fly the E75 on BNA-ORD. I fly that route at least once a month and it is almost always a CRJ-700, sometimes something smaller (E145, CRJ-200). As you know, that means valet gate-checked bags, which I hate waiting for, especially when half the plane is business people and they've got to handle 30+ bags.

I agree with you. My point is simply that asking for mainline isn't really asking the right question. The problem is the E45/CR7, not the lack of mainline.

AAvgeek744

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
UALFAson wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I agree with you. My point is simply that asking for mainline isn't really asking the right question. The problem is the E45/CR7, not the lack of mainline.

I rarely fly into Chicago. I thought I saw an E75 on the schedule, but I could have been wrong. AA has been averaging 8ish flights a day between the E45 and CR7. I think just getting rid of the 50 seaters would make most pax happier. Same issues with DCA, PHL, and LGA. I recall flying an ERD to LGA several years ago.. That's even worse. I don't know what the LF's are between the carriers and the big cities folks think need mainline. A coworker told me expect the see AA starting replacing some DFW-BNA mad dogs with CR9's instead of 738s. I'm skeptical about that. I can't recall the last time I've seen more than a handful of empty seats on a DFW flight. BNA is growing up, and one day I suspect some mainline to the bigger hubs. Still awaiting my "very unlikely" announcement that JL will fly to NRT someday. :wave:

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing a statement from BA that they intended to operate the route 5/week in the winter. All of the press I recall focused on the initial (summer) schedule.

They didn't say anything about seasonal 5x week, they just said 5x week period. Idk, it's understandable why they may cut for winter as there may not be as much demand, but maybe if the route does well, they'll add it back in.

For comparison, I believe the IND-CDG flight is only operating 3x a week in the winter, and IND has a stronger European market, so it's not the end of the world for BNA. Let's wait for the flight to launch and see how the loads are before worrying.

I for one will be very interested to see the loads on all the new mid-sized market TATL routes announced this fall, such as BNA-LHR on BA, IND-CDG on DL, STL/CVG-KEF on WW, CLE-KEF on Icelandair, etc.

AAvgeek744

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:52 pm

MNAA's newsletter just came out with links to three videos re: BNA Vision. I really don't see much different from what they've already shown. The IAB facility looks a little larger. Apparently no changes to A or B. (not sure where the temp FIS will be without modifying A). And they show that light rail system that our mayor is currently being castigated over.

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
UALFAson wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

No, the problem is the lack of mainline. An E75 would not be much better, as it is still an Eagle flight and therefore, still has all the baggage (no pun intended) of regional flights (delays, smaller planes, newer flight crews, etc).

Just running a 737 on one morning flight would be fine (preferably one morning and one evening flight, but that may be asking too much). Even if they had to cut a flight or two to upgauge one of them to mainline, it would be fine. As I said, on this route, capacity > frequency. It is clear more BNA people prefer UA/AA into ORD rather than WN into MDW, so why not upgauge the flight accordingly?

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
MNAA's newsletter just came out with links to three videos re: BNA Vision. I really don't see much different from what they've already shown. The IAB facility looks a little larger. Apparently no changes to A or B. (not sure where the temp FIS will be without modifying A). And they show that light rail system that our mayor is currently being castigated over.

Do you have a link?

AAvgeek744

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:03 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Do you have a link?

Three separate videos. I think the 2nd one may be new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MbSRoLE1U&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67EPKBHVYWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VJJVuUiRes

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Do you have a link?

Three separate videos. I think the 2nd one may be new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MbSRoLE1U&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67EPKBHVYWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VJJVuUiRes

Oh, you hadn't seen the new unveiling a few weeks ago? Yeah, they dropped plans for the expansion of the A and B concourses and the new IAB will be in the middle of the facility adjacent to the lobby, and will feature up to six new gates (though I only see 5 on the model). The interim FIS will be where it is now, but once the new one opens, the current one will be demolished.

AAvgeek744

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Oh, you hadn't seen the new unveiling a few weeks ago? Yeah, they dropped plans for the expansion of the A and B concourses and the new IAB will be in the middle of the facility adjacent to the lobby, and will feature up to six new gates (though I only see 5 on the model). The interim FIS will be where it is now, but once the new one opens, the current one will be demolished.

I knew they were moving the permanent international facilities, but hadn't seen the video. It difficult to tell but it looks like B and C will lose some gates to get the int'l. facility in. A more functional concourse A and addition of D with jet bridges would likely offset if they do require realignment an B and C.

Midwestindy

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

They didn't say anything about seasonal 5x week, they just said 5x week period. Idk, it's understandable why they may cut for winter as there may not be as much demand, but maybe if the route does well, they'll add it back in.

For comparison, I believe the IND-CDG flight is only operating 3x a week in the winter, and IND has a stronger European market, so it's not the end of the world for BNA. Let's wait for the flight to launch and see how the loads are before worrying.

I for one will be very interested to see the loads on all the new mid-sized market TATL routes announced this fall, such as BNA-LHR on BA, IND-CDG on DL, STL/CVG-KEF on WW, CLE-KEF on Icelandair, etc.

IND-CDG is Daily to 5x weekly, http://news.delta.com/delta-s-trans-atl ... stinations

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

IND-CDG is Daily to 5x weekly, http://news.delta.com/delta-s-trans-atl ... stinations

Isn't that only for the summer though? According to this, it will be 3x week year round (presumably that means during the winter months).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/09/06/delta-indianapolis-paris/

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
UALFAson wrote:

No, the problem is the lack of mainline. An E75 would not be much better, as it is still an Eagle flight and therefore, still has all the baggage (no pun intended) of regional flights (delays, smaller planes, newer flight crews, etc).

Just running a 737 on one morning flight would be fine (preferably one morning and one evening flight, but that may be asking too much). Even if they had to cut a flight or two to upgauge one of them to mainline, it would be fine. As I said, on this route, capacity > frequency. It is clear more BNA people prefer UA/AA into ORD rather than WN into MDW, so why not upgauge the flight accordingly?

Based on what is it “clear” that “BNA people” prefer ORD?

And have you had some bad experiences with Republic? I find their f/as - many of whom are quite senior - almost uniformly top-notch, especially in F.

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

I knew they were moving the permanent international facilities, but hadn't seen the video. It difficult to tell but it looks like B and C will lose some gates to get the int'l. facility in. A more functional concourse A and addition of D with jet bridges would likely offset if they do require realignment an B and C.

Yeah, B and C may lose a gate or two as they build the IAB, but remember, the gates can be used for domestic when international flights are not coming in, so they are essentially being replaced there. All in all, this expansion will bring in a net total of 8-10 new gates at BNA.

As I said, building the new IAB in the middle of the airport and demolishing the existing one will allow for a potential rebuild/expansion of Concourse A in the future should BNA need more gates.

AAvgeek744

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Yeah, B and C may lose a gate or two as they build the IAB, but remember, the gates can be used for domestic when international flights are not coming in, so they are essentially being replaced there. All in all, this expansion will bring in a net total of 8-10 new gates at BNA.

As I said, building the new IAB in the middle of the airport and demolishing the existing one will allow for a potential rebuild/expansion of Concourse A in the future should BNA need more gates.

True. I always thought an IAB way down on A was odd. I haven't been down there a in a ling time, that's one long walk. I hope they put the moving sidewalk back when the FIS moves. I'm quite curious to see who ends up getting those six gates on D (I think it's still 6).

Midwestindy

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Isn't that only for the summer though? According to this, it will be 3x week year round (presumably that means during the winter months).

DL initially said they would run at least 3x weekly during winter, but then they opened up booking at 5x weekly during winter.

That link is from Sep 6th, DL announced frequencies on Sep 21st. If you go on DL's website you will see IND-CDG moves from daily to 5x weekly around September 9th.

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Based on what is it “clear” that “BNA people” prefer ORD?

And have you had some bad experiences with Republic? I find their f/as - many of whom are quite senior - almost uniformly top-notch, especially in F.

Based on the fact that over 40,000 more people use the (largely regional) AA/UA flights into ORD rather than the 7 daily WN 737 flights into MDW.

https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.asp?pn=1&Airport=BNA&carrier=FACTS

Also, admittingly, I have only flown BNA-ORD on Eagle (CR7) once, so I can't really judge it too much. As I recall, the flight was ok, not great, but not terrible. It (surprisingly) was not delayed.

However, when I flew UA regional on BNA-ORD, they lost my bag, the flight was delayed, we had to board outside and the service was subpar at best. Never doing that again.

ADrum23

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

DL initially said they would run at least 3x weekly during winter, but then they opened up booking at 5x weekly during winter.

That link is from Sep 6th, DL announced frequencies on Sep 21st. If you go on DL's website you will see IND-CDG moves from daily to 5x weekly around September 9th.

Gotcha. I was gonna say, 3x a week seems too little.

Well, I stand corrected then, IND will have more frequency to CDG than BNA will to LHR during the winter months.

Not a big deal honestly, if there is enough demand after the flight starts, they will add the fifth day back. Here's to hoping both become daily year-round.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos