Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DL777200LR
Topic Author

Delta Pay Increase

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Delta has announced a pay increase effective April 1, 2017. Caption from deltanet,

"The airline announced today that it is increasing most employees' base pay by 6 percent while continuing to offer a generous profit sharing plan. The company also is increasing its automatic 401(k) contribution to three percent while maintaining a dollar-for-dollar match of the first 6 percent of eligible earnings."

Congrats to all other delta employees worldwide as it is another proud day to be a delta employee.
In addition wouldn't this pay increase affect union contracts like United which had provisions for delta pay increases?

jetjack74

Re: Delta Pay Increase

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Typical calculated move by Delta to keep it members from organizing. Hopefully we're smart enough not fall for it.

jumbojet

Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:53 pm

jetjack74 wrote:
Typical calculated move by Delta to keep it members from organizing. Hopefully we're smart enough not fall for it.

get a raise, and complain. Why don't you apply at AA or UA. They have unions running rampant. tell you what, PM me and I will give you my paypal address, you can send me that 6%.

global1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Great news!

As long as DELTA treats us well and keeps our pay and benefits at or near the top of the industry, I'm a happy camper.

Not having that union vitriol makes for a better and more collegial work environment.
Working here is night and day compared to NWA.
Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Keep climbing!

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:30 pm

global1 wrote:
Great news!

As long as DELTA treats us well and keeps our pay and benefits at or near the top of the industry, I'm a happy camper.

Not having that union vitriol makes for a better and more collegial work environment.

Keep climbing!

Delta doesn't keep you near the top, Delta makes you believe you're near the top...and you buy it. This 6% is living proof.

They announce a 6% increase that's due out in 6 months whereas all the union carriers got those increases within 30 after approving their contract. Your medical insurance is GARBAGE compared to UA, AA, SWA etc so there's a few thousand dollars per year. Delta just ELIMINATED all orthodontia coverage for employees whereas every other carrier has it. Delta's staffing (FA to pax ratio) is the worst in the industry as are Delta's work rules. The list goes on and on...but hey...as long as Delta has sheep believing everything they say there's no need to really improve on things.

Delta put out a recent comparison to AA and UAL and didn't even include the PS formula (they just showed Delta as having a bigger payout) and they put it out now because they didn't want to do it after AA gets their arbitration award that will increase their compensation by tens of millions of dollars per year...but hey...those pesky details.

Seabear

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Some people would complain if you hung them with a golden rope. Most of us in the real world haven't seen a pay increase in years.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Seabear wrote:
Some people would complain if you hung them with a golden rope. Most of us in the real world haven't seen a pay increase in years.

And when was the last time you in the "real world" saw your pension go up in fumes and see your salary cut by 40% overnight like most airline employees did a few years ago? That's what I thought...

global1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:40 pm

Maybe there's a reason why many employees from AA and UA apply here.

Flighty

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:44 pm

OOer wrote:
Seabear wrote:

And when was the last time you in the "real world" saw your pension go up in fumes and see your salary cut by 40% overnight like most airline employees did a few years ago? That's what I thought...

My what go up in flames? Reminds me of listening to bag handlers gripe, what about my kid's private school education? LOL

I mean, I feel for airline workers, it is a cyclical industry, some believe they were assured a certain outcome... but UNLESS they work for the federal government... they never were. Sometimes you gamble and you don't win... I know the feeling.

I am glad most of the industry is getting a good solid run of years, making money and hopefully saving for a rainy day. You have my respect and best wishes, not my pity though.

MSPNWA

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:50 pm

No surprise here. OAL employees have been getting pay increases, so DL has to keep up with the market. They can basically thank other unions for this increase. I do find it quite amusing that DL announces this now for an April 1st raise. Get a few free months that way. I also wonder if there's any compensation losses that aren't mentioned.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:50 pm

global1 wrote:
Maybe there's a reason why many employees from AA and UA apply here.

And there's a ton of Delta employees that apply at other airlines. Don't feel like Delta is the cream of the crop where everyone wants to work.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:51 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
No surprise here. OAL employees have been getting pay increases, so DL has to keep up with the market. They can basically thank other unions for this increase. I do find it quite amusing that DL announces this now for an April 1st raise. Get a few free months that way. I also wonder if there's any compensation losses that aren't mentioned.

You mean other than insurance premium increases, benefit decreases (such as cuts to Dental insurance), cuts to staffing, and cuts to other performance based pay?

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Flighty wrote:
OOer wrote:
Seabear wrote:

My what go up in flames? Reminds me of listening to bag handlers gripe, what about my kid's private school education? LOL

I mean, I feel for airline workers, it is a cyclical industry, some believe they were assured a certain outcome... but UNLESS they work for the federal government... they never were. Sometimes you gamble and you don't win... I know the feeling.

I am glad most of the industry is getting a good solid run of years, making money and hopefully saving for a rainy day. You have my respect and best wishes, not my pity though.

Most airline employees are just now getting back to the same income they made about 12 years ago. So it's not like airline employees are rich all of a sudden. 12 years of inflation really means 20-25% less purchasing power.

MSPNWA

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:57 pm

OOer wrote:
You mean other than insurance premium increases, benefit decreases (such as cuts to Dental insurance), cuts to staffing, and cuts to other performance based pay?

Ouch, okay then. I guess not. I think you have covered it.

global1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Pay for the following year is usually announced in Nov/Dec. Nothing new with the timing.

Ooer's posts give you a window into the toxic environment at some of our
competitors.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 pm

global1 wrote:
Pay for the following year is usually announced in Nov/Dec. Nothing new with the timing.

competitors.

I don't work for one of Delta's competitors but if the truth is "toxic" then you either have your head in the sand or you just don't care.

global1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:11 pm

If you don't work for DELTA or one of our competitors, then what's your beef?
You don't have any skin in the game.

I assume just a generic 'hater' must be the case.

Keep climbing!

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:16 pm

global1 wrote:
If you don't work for DELTA or one of our competitors, then what's your beef?
You don't have any skin in the game.

I assume just a generic 'hater' must be the case.

Keep climbing!

It's not about having "beef". It's about the truth. You can think that your employer is just AMAZING, that's fine. But when it comes down to it...they're really not. You just have a blanket over your face and don't even want to see what's on the other side...you just trust what Delta tells you. I mean, it's clear that you have no idea what the competition gives it's employees in compensation and benefits. Delta regularly uses the base hourly rate to compare to the competition because they know that the average FA will be appeased to see that they make a nickel per hour more than someone at UA or AA. In reality, that base hourly rate is MAYBE 50% of your compensation...there's so much more to that hourly rate especially since you get paid for 1/2-2/3 of the time you're at work...not all of it. Plus, there's $0 overtime at Delta whereas UA for example pays employees $5 more per hour for hours above a certain amount. Just 1 example but it proves my point.

toobz

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 pm

lol takes a very special "hater" to find something wrong with a 6% pay increase. DL is by far one of the best airlines to work for. Congrats to all DL employees worldwide.

global1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:21 pm

I spent over 30 years on the 'other side'.
I speak from experience.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:22 pm

toobz wrote:
lol takes a very special "hater" to find something wrong with a 6% pay increase. DL is by far one of the best airlines to work for. Congrats to all DL employees worldwide.

So if I give you $100 but I turn around and smash the window in your car would you be "grateful" for that $100? Or would you be pissed that after you factor in the cost to replace that broken windshield you're not getting a very good deal? Would you be a very special type of "hater" since I gave you $100 and you weren't happy about it?

jfern022

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Out of curiosity, OOer, who do you work for?

11725Flyer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:32 pm

global1 wrote:
Great news!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:45 pm

jfern022 wrote:
Out of curiosity, OOer, who do you work for?

Why does it matter? Who your employer is doesn't make or break your argument if it's valid.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:47 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
global1 wrote:
Great news!

Yeah try telling that to your doctors office when you get the bill.

This is the same argument that people buying cars have. They don't want to deal with the negotiations because it's just so unpleasant...so they go and buy from those places that have "no haggle" prices but end up overpaying $1,000-2,000 because they just didn't want to deal with the salesman trying to sell them something.

In this world you never get what you deserve, you get what you bargain...and if you don't bargain then you're a sucker.

jumbojet

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:49 pm

the haters are simply jealous. Can you blame them? The best all around airline, year after year. Thanks to the hard working Delta folks, and the delta culture, delta comes out on top year after year. It just goes to show, you don't need shiny new airplanes to be the best.

jumbojet

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:52 pm

on a separate note, if Delta employees got this same raise and were unionized, you would have seen the same haters on here saying what great win this was for the union.

So, what is the cost that a DL employee saves by not being unionized? Isnt it several thousand a year?
Last edited by jumbojet on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sk736

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Quit the whinging and whining....if you don't like your pay and benefits, resign and take your services elsewhere.

cessna2

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:54 pm

OOer wrote:
global1 wrote:
Great news!

Keep climbing!

Delta doesn't keep you near the top, Delta makes you believe you're near the top...and you buy it. This 6% is living proof.

They announce a 6% increase that's due out in 6 months whereas all the union carriers got those increases within 30 after approving their contract. Your medical insurance is GARBAGE compared to UA, AA, SWA etc so there's a few thousand dollars per year. Delta just ELIMINATED all orthodontia coverage for employees whereas every other carrier has it. Delta's staffing (FA to pax ratio) is the worst in the industry as are Delta's work rules. The list goes on and on...but hey...as long as Delta has sheep believing everything they say there's no need to really improve on things.

Delta put out a recent comparison to AA and UAL and didn't even include the PS formula (they just showed Delta as having a bigger payout) and they put it out now because they didn't want to do it after AA gets their arbitration award that will increase their compensation by tens of millions of dollars per year...but hey...those pesky details.

You sir get a standing ovation! Some people just eat and drink kool-aid because the company hands it out for free. When diving into facts, one can see how far Delta lags behind the rest of the industry when it coms to its employee benefits. Matter of fact many of the union carriers despise Delta FA's for riding their coattails. Unions have given Delta FA's everything they have. The industry as a whole would benefit from the Delta FA workgroup unionizing. As posted by one of my friends on facebook today...

A 6% base pay raise does not fix our healthcare, our inconsistent and, changeable at a moments notice, work rules. It does not make up for the loss in profit sharing or the lack of retirement. It only evens out rises in other benefit areas. Don't be fooled. Money isn't everything. "Without a union there is no justice, just us."

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:56 pm

jumbojet wrote:
on a separate note, if Delta employees got this same raise and were unionized, you would have seen the same haters on here saying what great win this was for the union.

So, what is the cost that a DL employee saves by not being unionized? Isnt it several thousand a year?

LOL! Keep drinking the look-aid. Union dues are usually around $50 per month and 100% tax deductible. At the end of the day, it costs Delta employees to be non-union...not the other way around. That's what you can't seem to understand.

global1

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 pm

So DELTA employees are just 'suckers'.

If the top of your paycheck doesn't say DL, AA,or UA, I bet it reads 'IAM,

I'll take a double Kool Aid (unsweet please) over the cyanide you're serving.
Last edited by global1 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:03 pm

global1 wrote:
So DELTA employees are just 'suckers'.

If the top of your paycheck doesn't say DL, AA,or UA, I bet it reads 'IAM'

Those that believe they're the best paid yes, they're suckers because it's not based on ANY evidence but based on your management saying you are and you just going with it.

Btw: For the second time, it doesn't matter who my employer is. I've been a member of this board for over a decade...so your "IAM" theory is baseless...just like you thinking you're the best is.

jetjack74

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:26 pm

What you fail understand dude, is our healthcare costs are getting more expensive, and with alleged "raise", most of this "raise" gets swallowed up in by these peripheral cost. And furthermore, we're still not back to the pay incrementals that should've brought us back and exceeded pre-9/11, adjusted for inflation

klm617

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:33 pm

Does this include the ready reserve employees.

Atlwarrior

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Wow on top having the highest profit share for their airline employees. This is another awesome move. I would love to work for Delta.

klm617

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 pm

Make no mistake there is only one group getting richer and it's the stock holders not the employees.

Sancho99504

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Why not worry about your own shop instead of what's going on elsewhere? They're all getting bigger pay raises and benefits packages right now which means that they'll all be in bankruptcy at square 1 again sooner than Delta. Some people seem to have very short term memory and forget that they voted yes on the contracts that got wiped out in bankruptcy...... So glad I don't have a union to force a bullshit contract down my throat.

11725Flyer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:05 pm

OOer wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:
global1 wrote:
Great news!

Yeah try telling that to your doctors office when you get the bill.

This is the same argument that people buying cars have. They don't want to deal with the negotiations because it's just so unpleasant...so they go and buy from those places that have "no haggle" prices but end up overpaying $1,000-2,000 because they just didn't want to deal with the salesman trying to sell them something.

In this world you never get what you deserve, you get what you bargain...and if you don't bargain then you're a sucker.

Nice rant. A doctor's office visit and airline unions? Huh?

Calm down and enjoy the discussion.

b727fa

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:38 pm

jetjack74 wrote:

Hardly. I just can't understand your hell bent desire to pay someone to do what we already do for ourselves. You realize you always have a choice. There may be undesirable consequences of that choice, but you do have one. Even Sophie had a choice. I can't imagine how miserable it must be to be this unhappy and ungrateful in life. And, again, if you'd rather not take the 6%, feel free to cut me in on your portion.

toobz

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:38 pm

hahaha all I can do is laugh at some people... If you don't work for DL, why do you care? It's funny that DL employees don't have a problem but the ones on the sideline do..DL is an amazing company to work for. Does UA or AA allow you unlimited free flights up in J or F if space available? Or is there a surcharge for that..? Who got the largest profitsharing checks?

OOer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
Wow on top having the highest profit share for their airline employees. This is another awesome move. I would love to work for Delta.

Only Delta pilots (with a union) have the best profit sharing program in the industry, all the non-union employees had theirs cut almost in half...which basically makes my point more valid. Thank you for bringing this up.

b727fa

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:44 pm

>>It does not make up for the loss in profit sharing or the lack of retirement.<<
There has been no loss of PS. The retirement plan is typical now. I'd hardly sneeze at 9% of my pay being GIVEN to me for my plan.

b727fa

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:48 pm

>>Union dues are usually around $50 per month and 100% tax deductible<<
Actually, dues are only deductible to a certain dollar amount and "around $50" isn't good enough for me. That amount is, like everything else, negotiated. I'd like to see you negotiate a $0/month...oh wait, I have that already. Hell, $50 a month is good for a couple good nights at the pub!

OOer

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:00 am

b727fa wrote:
>>It does not make up for the loss in profit sharing or the lack of retirement.<<
There has been no loss of PS. The retirement plan is typical now. I'd hardly sneeze at 9% of my pay being GIVEN to me for my plan.

Wrong. In 2016 non-union Delta employees are expected to see a profit sharing payout roughly 40% lower than in 2015. Look at Delta's quarterly filings with the SEC in regards to profit sharing expenses then factor in that pilots are still under the old (and much more generous) profit sharing formula. Time to check the facts pal.

OOer

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:01 am

b727fa wrote:
>>Union dues are usually around $50 per month and 100% tax deductible<<
Actually, dues are only deductible to a certain dollar amount and "around $50" isn't good enough for me. That amount is, like everything else, negotiated. I'd like to see you negotiate a $0/month...oh wait, I have that already. Hell, $50 a month is good for a couple good nights at the pub!

Actually, union dues are not something you negotiate. They are set by each union in order to cover the expenses to cover the operation of the union. Also, ALL union dues are tax deductible if you itemize (and 90%+ of flight attendants do itemize). All you have to do is look at IRS guidelines. Again pal...check the facts. It's easy to be anti-union when you know absolutely nothing about what you're talking about other than rumors you hear or what management tells you. No wonder we ended up with the 2 presidential candidates we did...

MSPNWA

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:07 am

global1 wrote:

competitors.

When it's implemented is the question. The long lead time pacifies the masses. It's like, "Don't worry, your pay raise is coming!" It doesn't have be that far away. Take the last time (Decemeber 1st), when they stiffed the pilots by doing so.

Instead of worrying about OOer, I'd worry about your own toxic customer service that drives me away from flying DL.

toobz

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:15 am

the same haters..hating on the same topic everytime..*sighhh* I am so damn happy that neither of you work for DL

OOer

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:20 am

toobz wrote:
the same haters..hating on the same topic everytime..*sighhh* I am so damn happy that neither of you work for DL

And you're sure of that how? You assume that just because you make the choice to believe everything you're told that everyone else will as well. Those that have actually taken the time to look and see what's really going on aren't in LA-LA land like you. Sometimes you just have to be willing to find the answer, instead of accepting a lie because if strengthens your views.

IPFreely

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:35 am

OOer wrote:
Also, ALL union dues are tax deductible if you itemize (and 90%+ of flight attendants do itemize). All you have to do is look at IRS guidelines.

The stuff you can read on this board -- simply amazing. Good luck if you ever get audited by the IRS. Pleading for mercy might be your best plan.

jfern022

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:38 am

OOer wrote:
toobz wrote:

And you're sure of that how? You assume that just because you make the choice to believe everything you're told that everyone else will as well. Those that have actually taken the time to look and see what's really going on aren't in LA-LA land like you. Sometimes you just have to be willing to find the answer, instead of accepting a lie because if strengthens your views.

So, if it is so poor, turn in your resignation. I don't think anyone holds a gun to your head and forces you to stay. Everyone knows clear as day, that there is movement between the carriers, but the movement towards Delta is the greater of the two, as opposed to the movement leaving Delta.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos