mariner

Re: MAS changes A380 plans, again

Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Revelation wrote:
Strange to read you making this statement since you yoorself admitted the Skymark corporation that bought the A380 is dead and its investors largely wiped out, and has been replaced by another one with its name and branding.

As with Chapter 11 filings in the US. If Skymark died, so did American, Delta and United, etc. Like them, Skymark is still flying.

Revelation wrote:
Since you're so optimistic about the A380, when do you think the new Skymark will be buying replacement A380s? After all, what matters the most is that you get to fly on as many A380s as possible, not that the operator makes any money flying A380s.

Another over-reach - LOL. Me flying on the A380 is the least important thing in the world. I'm lucky of course, because I live in tiny NZ and yet I have a few choices, with well-run airlines that fly the aircraft profitably.

Nor am I "optimistic" about sales of the A380 in general and surely not at MAS, so I don't know where this "optimism" comes from. It is what it is.

Do I think MAS would have been better of with a different, smaller aircraft? Maybe, but for a long time the airline was so poorly run that I'm not even sure about that. Why would I dump on the aircraft because management was making bad decisions?

So yes, I am interested to see what the new MAS CEO comes up with, both for the A380 and the airline in general. If he can end the financial roller coaster ride of old MAS and make the airline consistently profitable, then he'll have done a great job.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Revelation

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:22 pm

mariner wrote:
If Skymark died, so did American, Delta and United, etc. Like them, Skymark is still flying.

Yes, AA, DL and UA all died and were replaced by new corporate entities using their names and branding.

mariner wrote:
Another over-reach - LOL. Me flying on the A380 is the least important thing in the world. I'm lucky of course, because I live in tiny NZ and yet I have a few choices, with well-run airlines that fly the aircraft profitably.

As you said, "I don't care, it isn't my money" so it seems you are focused on your own needs rather than others.

mariner wrote:
So yes, I am interested to see what the new MAS CEO comes up with, both for the A380 and the airline in general. If he can end the financial roller coaster ride of old MAS and make the airline consistently profitable, then he'll have done a great job.

I don't see how people can project a positive outcome. There's been charter airlines for a very long time, ones for religious charters as well as non-religious charters. None of them are very profitable, certainly not profitable enough to dig MAS out of the hole it is in. If it did become profitable, it would be a pretty easy business model to copy and/or undermine.
The gun is NOT a precious symbol of freedom
It is a deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence

mariner

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Revelation wrote:
Yes, AA, DL and UA all died and were replaced by new corporate entities using their names and branding.

That's an interesting reading of the Chapter 11 laws, which are designed so that the entity survives.

Revelation wrote:
As you said, "I don't care, it isn't my money" so it seems you are focused on your own needs rather than others.

Oh, probably. At my age I think I've fought most of my battles. There may be a few left on a social level, but there's nothing I can do do about the finances of major international corporations. I don't have enough hubris to think that any one of them is going to listen to me.

So as with Thomas Jefferson - "it neither steals my wallet nor breaks my leg" - LOL

Revelation wrote:
I don't see how people can project a positive outcome. There's been charter airlines for a very long time, ones for religious charters as well as non-religious charters. None of them are very profitable, certainly not profitable enough to dig MAS out of the hole it is in. If it did become profitable, it would be a pretty easy business model to copy and/or undermine.

He's doing okay so far and he seems to have a bright mind - he surely knows more about airlines than I do, or anyone here. I can't predict the future so I'm content to go along for the ride - I doubt it will be dull.

mariner
aeternum nauta

NozPerry

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:29 pm

I think that sending the A380 on pilgrimage flights is a better idea then laying dormant at KUL. Personally I hope they could utilise the a/c for 'fan flights' during the 2018 World Cup.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

69bug

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:38 am

This looks like an accounting thing.

The A380 is lying heavy on the books and the ROI is bad, dragging down the performance of Malaysia Airlines. This was basically the fault, holdover from the previous management.

The new management doesn't have a place for it and can't sell it. So shunt it off into another sister division and the main airline (MH) has a fighting chance to be profitable.

A few years down the line if the new division for Umrah / Hajj can't fly they can still sell them off or bring them back onto the mainline. Hopefully the economy should be better than it is today by then.

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:24 am

NozPerry wrote:
I think that sending the A380 on pilgrimage flights is a better idea then laying dormant at KUL. Personally I hope they could utilise the a/c for 'fan flights' during the 2018 World Cup.

But they're not dormant at the moment - I was under the impression they're being utilised with reasonable load factors on the London route but they were originally thinking of replacing them since it's such a small subfleet rather than because they're losing loads of money.

If the A380 was really loss making for them then I would have expected they would be flying with BA or someone by now. The fact they're not suggests they didn't need to get rid of them so badly...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

RickNRoll

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:21 am

Revelation wrote:
Strato2 wrote:
Revelation wrote:

That's a well known issue. It's called capacity risk. The A380 might pay its way when things are going well, but when they are not, it's a financial bloodbath.

Hyperbole is never far away when Amerikan anti-A380 crowd takes another dump.

Feel free to add your comments about how MAS is not suffering capacity risk right now. Otherwise, you're just ranting.

In terms of risk, I don't know how many airlines the size of MAS would be planning for two 777s to be lost in a short period of time, one shot down by a missile and one disappearing in unknown circumstances in the far reaches of the Indian Ocean.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:50 am

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
But they're not dormant at the moment - I was under the impression they're being utilised with reasonable load factors on the London route but they were originally thinking of replacing them since it's such a small subfleet rather than because they're losing loads of money.

Only MH2/3 is having significant loads with acceptable yields (based on my assumption - you wouldn't be seeing promotional fares on this flight combo). MH4/1, the morning flight out of KUL however requires aggressive price promotions to fill it up.

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
If the A380 was really loss making for them then I would have expected they would be flying with BA or someone by now. The fact they're not suggests they didn't need to get rid of them so badly...

It could be that they can't throw away the plane at any price. Maybe the Malaysian government, having guaranteed the loan to buy those planes, wanted at least to break even or at the most a small loss on their investment.

Revelation wrote:

If they spin the charter operations off into another subsidiary as was alluded to by others, maybe they can just pull it off. While the business model is easy to copy, it's not easy for airlines to get the capacity that MH's fleet of 6 high density A380 can offer, which is the most important thing for the Haj/Umrah charter business. Furthermore, if they can actually bring the cost of traveling for the Umrah down by exploiting the A380's low CASM, it will open up the market for Muslims who previously can't afford to go to Makkah. It's a very, very large market when you consider Malaysia's neighbour is the world's largest Muslim nation.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

6thfreedom

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:35 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

Only MH2/3 is having significant loads with acceptable yields (based on my assumption - you wouldn't be seeing promotional fares on this flight combo). MH4/1, the morning flight out of KUL however requires aggressive price promotions to fill it up.

The morning flight has always been problematic.
I wonder if the 6 new China points MH has flagged will be overnight flying, arriving back into KUL in the morning and offering connections onto LHR? There are only a few domestic or cities south or east of KUL than can support the morning KUL-LHR departure:

SYD 0340
MEL 0600
DAC 0630
PEN 0635
AKL 0645
SIN 0710
BKI 0725
KCH 0725
CGK 0740
PEK 0800

spacecookie

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:04 am

flee wrote:
Many airlines have found that the A380's best economics occur when it operates flights of about 8-10 hours. Many airlines have also found out that the days of first class flying are numbered. High density configurations are becoming more and more prevalent on all types of aircraft. The A380, although initially promoted by Airbus as a cruiseliner in the air, is no exception - it needs more seats to make it a stronger economic performer.

EK is one of the first airlines to realise how it can operate the A380 profitably. MAS is also realising this - unfortunately, it can only see this kind of high density A380 working for a Haj and Umrah charter operation for the next few years.

The A380 is a little ahead of its time. More and more airports are becoming slot constrained and airlines are reacting. A320 operators are upgauging to A321. A330 operators are upgauging to A350s, Boeing 767 operators are upgauging to B777s, etc.

Sooner or later, the upgauging of aircraft will need aircraft the size of the A380. The only question is when. And will the A380 still be around when that happens....

I think what MAS are planning for their A380 fleet should work better than the current arrangement of it flying the KUL-LHR route. It should also be more profitable than selling them at a huge loss.

Ahead of time in thinking yes
Bu we will need to see more operators, because
Or EK change the mind and Maintain the A380 in "as new condition" or they will face a problem when they want to renew the fleet.
The A380 will need some changes (NEO or CEO) version in the next 5-10 years.

If not maybee the B77X will eat a part of the portion of this marked.
BTW, ek operates many routes under 8-10 hours with the A380, economy has good load factores here and the "longer" routes i have been on with EK was on a B777.
I like and love the 777 but the A380 seems to me a little bit more comfotarble than the 10 Abreast 777

kriskim

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:23 am

How likely will it be to see MH rebrand once their new fleet of A350's arrive? Re-branding seems to have been off the table for quite some time now. Not asking for much, just a new livery that will show off Malaysian Hospitality and the colourful Malaysian cultures.
it's time to visit Melbourne! ;)

PhoenixVIP

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:42 am

Look whos back!!

Charter airlines haven't gone bankrupt and they can operate at no loss and no profit. Very sustainable in the long run in fact. The anti A380 crusade seem hellbent on profits sky high and when there's no profit it means they should go bankrupt. Don't forget America voted for Donald Trump so we shall understand this logic. :rotfl:

Strange to read you making this statement since you yourself admitted the Skymark corporation that bought the A380 is dead and its investors largely wiped out, and has been replaced by another one with its name and branding.

Since you're so optimistic about the A380, when do you think the new Skymark will be buying replacement A380s? After all, what matters the most is that you get to fly on as many A380s as possible, not that the operator makes any money flying A380s.

No let us get this straight, a poster named Revelation claimed in the previous page that Skymark was bankrupt because of the A380. Now the new Skymark isn't flying yet and is not fly internationally which is when the A380 was originally to be used. I'm sorry that simple logic doesn't make it through.

Feel free to add your comments about how MAS is not suffering capacity risk right now. Otherwise, you're just ranting

No one disagrees with capacity risk. Every airline has that risk. MAS don't have that right now with prudent operation of their A380 fleet. Perhaps EK is most exposed now to risk with minimum 777s? Perhaps 777 is the reason why EK will go bankrupt because they don't get rid of some for A330s or A320s? :hyper: :bomb:

I am not surprised at your pessimism. Time will tell ..

Yes we will be here to see him/her wrong. :yes:

How likely will it be to see MH rebrand once their new fleet of A350's arrive? Re-branding seems to have been off the table for quite some time now. Not asking for much, just a new livery that will show off Malaysian Hospitality and the colourful Malaysian cultures

This was discussed last year at the MH board and they retained their name because they believe their branding is strong even though they had two accidents. Some airlines in the world, like Korean Airlines or CAAC (pre Air China) or Japan Airlines (JAL123) had major hits when they had accidents but they all still exist today as among the largest carriers in the world today. Having flown MH's A330 early this year it is not bad but that Malaysian hospitality is missing and so is that banter from the crew. You cannot blame them for what happen but they need to go back to basics to get customers to come back. And I genuinely think they are in the right direction at the moment. The A350 will be a good opportunity to rebrand but they are already doing that with their A330 and upcoming new product so it doesn't need to be radical.
Inspire the truth.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:50 am

First charter contract have been signed:

Earlier this year, Malaysia Airlines signed contracts with two local travel agencies, Andalusia Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd and Rayhar Travels Sdn Bhd, for the provision of charter flights to Saudi Arabia which began earlier this month.

Under the terms of the contracts, Malaysia Airlines will use its A380s to run a total of fifty-three flights from Malaysia to Madinah and Jeddah between November 10, 2016 and July 6, 2017.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... re-own-aoc
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

parapente

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 am

Well spotted Karel.Clearly a done deal ( with these operators anyway).I wonder whether they could pick up additional similar business from Indonesia to Saudi.
Still not sure they would need the complete existing fleet even if the article suggests they could buy more 380's.I would still be inclined to flog some to BA if the price was right.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:23 am

Well I guess MAS will try to sign more charter contracts.

flee

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:27 am

parapente wrote:
I wonder whether they could pick up additional similar business from Indonesia to Saudi. Still not sure they would need the complete existing fleet even if the article suggests they could buy more 380's.I would still be inclined to flog some to BA if the price was right.
Saudia has, in recent years, been wet leasing aircraft from Malaysian charter companies like Eaglexpress and even Airasia X has supplied aircraft to them. So there is a healthy charter market. MAB has done some serious studies and are aware that in the next few years, many B747s will need D checks and may not be available for much longer as owners might not wish to spend the huge sums of money performing D checks.

The A380's in the MAB fleet (4 needed) will not be released until the A350s arrive and can provide a complete double daily KUL-LHR service. As such, only two frames will be transferred to the charter operations. As you can see, they are building up the charter business slowly.

As for flogging them off to BA, it is quite obvious that WW does not think that the price is low enough. MAB has stopped the futile quest to sell them but instead do something more productive with them.

LAXintl

Re: Malaysia Airlines retrofits Airbus A380 fleet for Hajj flights

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 am

Mentioned at today's earnings event, the A380 will seat 720 for planned pilgrimage flights and MAS is finalizing configuration details with help of Airbus.

Plans are to turn over the 6 A380 frames to newly formed subsidiary starting early 2018.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

juliuswong

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:11 am

LAXintl wrote:
Mentioned at today's earnings event, the A380 will seat 720 for planned pilgrimage flights and MAS is finalizing configuration details with help of Airbus.

Plans are to turn over the 6 A380 frames to newly formed subsidiary starting early 2018.

About the same time as first A359 to enter service.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Not keeping any for the London flights...? That's a shame (for me).
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

LAXintl

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Plan for quite some time has been to transition London to the A350s once on property.

flee

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:30 pm

One of the MH A380s is grounded due to problems with its RR Trent engines. They do not expect the repairs to be completed anytime soon.

TC957

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Must be MNE that's grounded - no recorded flights recently. MNA has done many Medina round trips recently and the other 4 have all been in & out of LHR on the twice-daily service.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:42 am

LAXintl wrote:
Plan for quite some time has been to transition London to the A350s once on property.

Indeed.

The first A350 should arrive in December this year but won't be put on the LHR route until September 2018.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Re: Malaysia Airlines to retrofit A380 fleet for Hajj flights

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:30 pm

More details to follow in the coming months:

“In April or May, we will announce the name of the separate entity. Six aircraft—that means a lot of seats for this business. With this fleet, we can handle 5% to 6% of the global movement [of the Haj and Umrah pilgrimage],” Malaysia Airlines CEO Peter Bellew told ATW.

Bellew said the carrier has been in talks with Airbus to adapt the cabins. “We plan to increase seat capacity to 720 seats on the aircraft [all-economy class seating],” he said.

“We’ve got simulators; we have the [A380] experience and this could be an option for the future [to have more A380s],” Bellew said.

http://atwonline.com/airframes/malaysia ... ge-traffic

N14AZ

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 am

Just a tiny update concerning MH's "Hope"-Project.*) It seems that delay in the introduction of A350s into MH's fleet are affecting the time schedule for refitting the A380s after the A350's have been delivered.

With A350 handovers delayed by a shortage of interior fittings at Airbus, the first plane is due a couple of months late in November or December, Bellew said. All should arrive by June 2018, after which the A380s will be refitted to allow their capacity to be varied between 635 and 720 seats, with the airline commencing operations in December of that year.

Dubbed Project Hope, the startup has yet to be given a permanent name, though most of its management team will be approved at a board meeting next week, Bellew said, adding that a CEO has yet to be chosen but will almost certainly be a Malaysian national.

Long-term support deals have been struck with Airbus and engine maker Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc and that could extend to investment in the venture next year, he said.

Source: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/catego ... ing-fleet/

LAXintl

Fri May 05, 2017 3:03 pm

CEO Peter Bellew says details of the A380 pilgrimage subsidiary likely be announced May 12th.
Apparently beyond the Saudi charters, the unit will seek to operate charters to popular tourist markets like Barcelona, Rome and London along with Chinese tourist to Disneyland.

MAB close to launching A380 pilgrimage unit
http://orientaviation.com/articles/2625 ... image-unit

=

LAXintl

Fri May 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Drum roll please --- Project Hope

The new enterprise, which MAG has identified as Project Hope, is expected to start flying Muslim pilgrims to Mecca by the end of next year. Project Hope is being set up to absorb MAS’ surplus fleet of six Airbus A380 super jumbo planes.

Owner of Malaysia Airlines names top execs of 'Project Hope'
http://www.thestar.com.my/business/busi ... w-airline/

=

neutrino

Fri May 12, 2017 4:50 pm

So all expectations will be built on Hope.
They must be Rogue One fans.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

peterinlisbon

Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 pm

I've seen fares even lower than that - around 200 pounds for a one-way on an MH A380. Vietnam also has one-way tickets for under 200 pounds.

LAXintl

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:38 pm

CEO Peter Bellew says first flight planned Q3 2018

Config will be 2 class - 36C600Y, with option of reverting 712Y config within 5 days based on client demand.
They are also in talks with cruise ship companies to use the capacity and estimates the aircraft would be available for half the year to support cruise traffc. He also estimates pilgrimage demand is about a 9-month per year business.

Malaysia Airlines targets 3Q 2018 for A380 charter carrier
http://atwonline.com/airlines/malaysia- ... er-carrier

mercure1

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:48 pm

This will be quite an experiment, though sadly with Malaysian being state run again, we might never really learn if they make any money on the idea.

My feeling is that with the inability to sell or sublease the airplanes to others, they rather earn some money running charters even at a loss, than no money by parking frames entirely.

CanadaFair

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:54 pm

New division livery to adorn A380s?

CRJ900

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:00 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Drum roll please --- Project Hope

The new enterprise, which MAG has identified as Project Hope,

=

They should call it "A New Hope" and dedicate it to flying Star Wars fans to and from Star Wars events around the world. All flight attendants are to wear the Princess Leia hairdo. It will be a much bigger success than Hajj flights, guaranteed :D
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

par13del

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:04 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
Malaysia Airlines is unable to find a buyer for its A380 fleet and is now exploring other options, like configuring the cabin into a high density arrangement and use it on charter flights.

Told you so. The MAS A380 fleet is pretty young thus still too expensive for many operators. As parking it too expensive, Malaysia Airlines will have no choice but to continue operating the aircraft.

...so to be clear, they are loosing money operating the a/c and because they cannot find a buyer, they are going to invest additional funds to set up a leasing company and re-configure the a/c, and that is cheaper than simply parking the a/c and paying the mortgage?

Okay

flee

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:57 am

A small update on this:

Malaysia Airlines CEO Peter Bellew expects to get approval from Khazanah Nasional Bhd to launch the new airline catering to haj pilgrims by year-end. The carrier said it has received overwhelming response from haj pilgrims and that does not have enough seats to accommodate pilgrims from Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and China for the rest of the year. he said. - StarBiz

TC957

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 am

MH will find themselves in competition with Hi-Fly if their plans for A380 charter work comes to fruition. Bet that's something MH hadn't considered when they committed to their own plans.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 am

flee wrote:
A small update on this:

Malaysia Airlines CEO Peter Bellew expects to get approval from Khazanah Nasional Bhd to launch the new airline catering to haj pilgrims by year-end. The carrier said it has received overwhelming response from haj pilgrims and that does not have enough seats to accommodate pilgrims from Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and China for the rest of the year. he said. - StarBiz

MAS has been saying that for almost a year now, time to put their money where their mouth is.

FromCDGtoSYD

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am

KarelXWB wrote:
flee wrote:
A small update on this:

MAS has been saying that for almost a year now, time to put their money where their mouth is.

I feel like the closer to the delivery the more we hear about healthy loads on KUL-LHR and the problemd there are with finding a second destination to sent A350s to

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am

KarelXWB wrote:
flee wrote:
A small update on this:

They can't until they start receiving the A359s.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

LAXintl

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 am

Scheduled service A380 flying ending March 04 2018 by which time A350s cover both LHR flights.

Malaysia Airlines to end Airbus A380 flights in March 2018
http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com/malaysia- ... _4.twitter

=

flee

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
flee wrote:
A small update on this:

I feel like the closer to the delivery the more we hear about healthy loads on KUL-LHR and the problemd there are with finding a second destination to sent A350s to

MH has no problems with loads in Q3/Q4 - these are usually their best quarters as far as loads are concerned.

Wait till Q1 comes along - that is when loads plummet! That is one of the reasons why they can't wait to rush the A350s into service by 15 January 2018.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos