Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YIMBY

Re: Nordic Aviation Part 4

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Finnair is increasing NRT and HKG next summer, from early June and to end October

Definitely a surprise. I would have expected rather Haneda, Sendai or Sapporo. Could HND be flown by JAL if not possible for AY?
Three planes in row to the same destination is funny.

Could they launch a night-wave around 3 a.m.? Is there a night curfew in Helsinki? That airport looks to be in the middle of forest so it should not disturb many people.
They could have the overnighting planes from Europe to make nightly trips to Helsinki and hence have super-efficient use of hardware.

Someone83

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:13 pm

YIMBY wrote:
Could they launch a night-wave around 3 a.m.? Is there a night curfew in Helsinki? That airport looks to be in the middle of forest so it should not disturb many people.
They could have the overnighting planes from Europe to make nightly trips to Helsinki and hence have super-efficient use of hardware.

What is the point in that?

Finnair already have secondary longhaul wave they can build further on, in addition do they have to match with European feed. In general those night departures doesn't work in Europa

YIMBY

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Someone83 wrote:
YIMBY wrote:

What is the point in that?

Finnair already have secondary longhaul wave they can build further on, in addition do they have to match with European feed. In general those night departures doesn't work in Europa

The departure from Central Europe would be at midnight and arrival at Europe early morning. That would fit well for business travellers, although such departures might be favoured by cost-conscious travellers who do not care about the change in Helsinki. Finnair should then arrange feed with their narrow body fleet that would otherwise sleep at night. Hence they would optimize the usage of their fleet and also airport infrastructure.

I do not know how that schedule relates to Asian destinations then and whether there are more or less slots and at what price.

What is the secondary longhaul wave? They have one or two departures at midnight and arrivals at morning for routes of post 24h rotation. That may not fit well for Japanese destinations?

okay

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 am

QR opened its route Doha-Helsinki on Monday. The route is a daily service between the two cities. The route got some special treatment, as the first three flights were operated on QR's flagship, the A350. Also, the CEO of QR, Mr. Akbar Al Baker visited Helsinki to participate in the ceremonies of the new route. He also said the route was planned to be operated on wide body equipment right from the start, but due to delivery issues they were forced to start it with A32S. The airline is experiencing a shortage of 15 WB frames in comparison to demand at the moment, the CEO commented. According to him, the route will eventually get a Dreaminer. He also made a funny comment about being happy Helsinki Airport is fitting an airbridge suitable for the A380 :) Welcome to Helsinki, Qatar Airways :)

Source: http://www.lentoposti.fi/uutiset/al_bak ... i_reitille

Someone83

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:41 am

Emirates Cargo has started a 1x weekly OSL-DWC flight using 777F each Tuesday. Key cargo here is salmon

http://www.skycargo.com/english/media-c ... id=3641463
Emirates SkyCargo, the world’s largest international cargo airline, is expanding its presence in Scandinavia with the launch of a new weekly freighter service from Oslo to Dubai starting 11 October 2016.

ilari

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 am

okay wrote:
QR opened its route Doha-Helsinki on Monday. The route is a daily service between the two cities. The route got some special treatment, as the first three flights were operated on QR's flagship, the A350. Also, the CEO of QR, Mr. Akbar Al Baker visited Helsinki to participate in the ceremonies of the new route. He also said the route was planned to be operated on wide body equipment right from the start, but due to delivery issues they were forced to start it with A32S. The airline is experiencing a shortage of 15 WB frames in comparison to demand at the moment, the CEO commented. According to him, the route will eventually get a Dreaminer. He also made a funny comment about being happy Helsinki Airport is fitting an airbridge suitable for the A380 :) Welcome to Helsinki, Qatar Airways :)

Wouldn't it be great to get an A380 to HEL? ;)

okay

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:56 am

ilari wrote:
okay wrote:

Wouldn't it be great to get an A380 to HEL? ;)

Looking at the Summer 2017 capacity to Tokyo, it does not seem such a silly idea on that route: 18 weekly departures,2 or 3 daily departures, all departing within hours from each other.

But yeah, I think it will take some time still before we see an A380 on a scheduled flight to Helsinki :)

hvusslax

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Isavia released an interesting report today about the economic impact of the expanding operations at KEF. A few years a go, the region around KEF was the most economically depressed in Iceland. This was when the Americans had just abandoned their base there and laid of a lot of civilian workers and Iceland was hit by the financial crisis. The situation has turned around completely in a few years with the 20-30% annual growth of traffic at KEF many years in row. In 2016 it is estimated that 3% of Iceland's labor force was working at KEF and it is becoming difficult for businesses at the airport to locally source more staff.

The growth has been remarkable, there were less than 2 million passengers that used KEF in 2009 but it is looking like 2016 will break 6 million. Isavia's updated projection suggests 20.1 million passengers in 2040 and an increasing share of transit passengers from 33% in 2016 to 44% in 2040.

YIMBY

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:07 pm

okay wrote:
But yeah, I think it will take some time still before we see an A380 on a scheduled flight to Helsinki :)

You may be right. Finnair could fill a 380 to Tokyo, maybe also Beijing, Bangkok, Hong Kong and New York, though seasonally only, and with a low yield. While that may appear fancy and cheap 380's may be soon available, I think it remains only a dream for Helsinki guys. It makes more sense to add frequency or alternative destinations than have a subfleet of 4-5 380's, unless they get those really really cheap. In my opinion a smaller route-opener (like 332, 767) would fit them better, if they need a subfleet, but they have known better than me before.

But who knows what happens when HEL freezes.

styles9002

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:34 pm

[quote="hvusslax

The growth has been remarkable, there were less than 2 million passengers that used KEF in 2009 but it is looking like 2016 will break 6 million. Isavia's updated projection suggests 20.1 million passengers in 2040 and an increasing share of transit passengers from 33% in 2016 to 44% in 2040.[/quote]"]

Yes, tremendous growth numbers over 8 years. What was the capacity of the terminal when it opened? Was it built for 6 million?

AirPacific747

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:44 pm

A better picture of the first A320NEO:

http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/8396950

NichCage

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Why have two of the ME3 (Emirates and Etihad Airways) not shown any interest in flying to HEL? I'm sure the oneworld hub at HEL will be good, but what market will the flights between DOH and HEL serve?

Someone83

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:31 pm

The Swedish and Norwegian governments has announced they have put a total of 19 million SAS shares, about 5,8% of the company, for sale. And thus reduce their total ownership by the same amount

Oykie

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:56 am

Someone83 wrote:
The Swedish and Norwegian governments has announced they have put a total of 19 million SAS shares, about 5,8% of the company, for sale. And thus reduce their total ownership by the same amount

Wow! This is big news! The Skandinavian governments have owned 50% of the airline. Decreasibg their ownership is good for SAS and good for the governments. This sales also tells us that Lufthansa will not be buying SAS anytime soon.

YIMBY

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:52 am

Oykie wrote:

Wow! This is big news! The Skandinavian governments have owned 50% of the airline. Decreasibg their ownership is good for SAS and good for the governments. This sales also tells us that Lufthansa will not be buying SAS anytime soon.

Is it said that the buyer is not Lufthansa? I understood that the governments will put the shares for sale in the stock market for anyone who wants to buy.

Honestly, I do not believe that Lufthansa would touch those shares. They are busy with other things now. SAS has been, however, recovering surprisingly well, and may soon be an interesting target for a merger or may even have chances to survive alone. They keep being vulnerable, though, and their main market to America is a bloodbath.

Anyone knows and understands the current strategy of SAS?

Someone83

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 am

YIMBY wrote:

To transport people to, from and within Scandinavia and be the prefered carrier for frequent travellers

Oykie wrote:
Someone83 wrote:

The Swedish and Norwegian government has anounced this morning that due to strong demands for the shares, they are increasing the sales from 19 til 23 million shares, equal to 7% of the ownership

Oykie

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:57 am

YIMBY wrote:
Oykie wrote:

Is it said that the buyer is not Lufthansa? I understood that the governments will put the shares for sale in the stock market for anyone who wants to buy.

Honestly, I do not believe that Lufthansa would touch those shares. They are busy with other things now. SAS has been, however, recovering surprisingly well, and may soon be an interesting target for a merger or may even have chances to survive alone. They keep being vulnerable, though, and their main market to America is a bloodbath.

The buyer can be anybody. My reasoning is that there have been speculated that LH would be buying all shares from the Scandinavian countries, or even the whole company. Selling just 5.8% means less of a chance LH will buy. I am curious about have long it takes the government to sell all shares. Ethiad, Qatar, BA or Delta anyone? :-) :-) :-)

Someone83

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:30 am

And the Swedish and Norwegian government just published that the sale of 7% of SAS has been finalized. Nothing about buyers, but probably institutional investors

Other news: Royal Jordanian will operate several charter flight from Aqaba to CPH, ARN and HEL nest year

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... r-flights/

Aqaba – Copenhagen 11FEB17 – 22APR17 1 weekly
RJ6850 AQJ0900 – 1315CPH 320 6
RJ6851 CPH1400 – 2000AQJ 320 6

Aqaba – Helsinki 13FEB17 – 24APR17 1 weekly (Except 28FEB17 – 12MAR17)
RJ6856 AQJ0900 – 1400HEL 320 1
RJ6857 HEL1415 – 1940AQJ 320 1

Aqaba – Stockholm Arlanda 12FEB17 – 23APR17 1 weekly
RJ6852 AQJ0900 – 1330ARN 320 7
RJ6853 ARN1415 – 2025AQJ 320 7

florens

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 am

HELyes wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
At the same time, Qatar's QR code will be added to Finnair flights between Helsinki and Stockholm Bromma, Billund, Gothenburg, Riga, Tallinn and Tartu. [/i]

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/med ... 28339.html

Wow, TLL and TAY?! Interesting...

hvusslax

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:28 am

styles9002 wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

The growth has been remarkable, there were less than 2 million passengers that used KEF in 2009 but it is looking like 2016 will break 6 million. Isavia's updated projection suggests 20.1 million passengers in 2040 and an increasing share of transit passengers from 33% in 2016 to 44% in 2040.

Yes, tremendous growth numbers over 8 years. What was the capacity of the terminal when it opened? Was it built for 6 million?

The terminal in its original form when it opened in 1987 was certainly not built for 6 million passengers. There were 0.7 million in that first year. The terminal has been expanded a few times since then, most significantly in 2001 when the southern annex opened with new jetbridges and the capability to segregate Schengen and non-Schengen traffic. Development has not kept up with the rapid growth in the last five years or so. The terminal is being used more efficiently now though, there used to be only two peak hours during Icelandair's banks but now there is also WOW Air's banks and Icelandair's secondary summer banks that have spread the load to hours that used to be underutilized. What's sorely missing now are more jetbridges and bigger waiting areas. The airport has added a lot of remote stands and bus gates in the last few years because that can be done quickly and cheaply but they need to get going soon with an all new pier with jetbridges.

Someone83

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:51 am

Wizz is starting Olsztyn-Mazury to TRF from May 20th

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -may-2017/
W62184 TRF0815 – 1000SZY 320 26
W62183 SZY1030 – 1215TRF 320 26

3rd weekly service, operating on Day 4, will be in effect from 22JUN17 to 14SEP17.

mjoelnir

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:16 am

hvusslax wrote:
styles9002 wrote:
hvusslax wrote:

The terminal in its original form when it opened in 1987 was certainly not built for 6 million passengers. There were 0.7 million in that first year. The terminal has been expanded a few times since then, most significantly in 2001 when the southern annex opened with new jetbridges and the capability to segregate Schengen and non-Schengen traffic. Development has not kept up with the rapid growth in the last five years or so. The terminal is being used more efficiently now though, there used to be only two peak hours during Icelandair's banks but now there is also WOW Air's banks and Icelandair's secondary summer banks that have spread the load to hours that used to be underutilized. What's sorely missing now are more jetbridges and bigger waiting areas. The airport has added a lot of remote stands and bus gates in the last few years because that can be done quickly and cheaply but they need to get going soon with an all new pier with jetbridges.

Adding to this, the terminal opened in 1987 was a shrink from the original design. It was downsized with the argument that it was easily expendable when needed.

The current expansion plans are quite extensive regarding the terminal and include adding a parallel north south runway.

Today there is also a big summer bank at and after midnight, mostly European airlines leaving mainland airports before closing in the evening and arriving back there when the airports open in the morning.

okay

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:26 pm

YIMBY wrote:
okay wrote:

You may be right. Finnair could fill a 380 to Tokyo, maybe also Beijing, Bangkok, Hong Kong and New York, though seasonally only, and with a low yield. While that may appear fancy and cheap 380's may be soon available, I think it remains only a dream for Helsinki guys. It makes more sense to add frequency or alternative destinations than have a subfleet of 4-5 380's, unless they get those really really cheap. In my opinion a smaller route-opener (like 332, 767) would fit them better, if they need a subfleet, but they have known better than me before.

But who knows what happens when HEL freezes.

Maybe not an A380, but I would not be surprised if they ordered A350-1000 for the Japan routes. Japan is the second biggest market for AY after Finland, not Sweden as many seem to think (http://www.finnairgroup.com/group/group_2.html). I have heard that AY has shown interest in acquiring HND slots, but for the moment all that was available were slots at NRT, which now were used for the just announced capacity increase. If at some point these increases become permanent and slot situation is as bad as it is now, an increase in aircraft size seems feasible. There is no point having "shuttle" long haul service in a period of some hours of the day.

Mortyman

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Norwegian Air Shuttle has gotten it's charter deals with TUI Nordic, Thomas Cook Northern Europe and Vitaltours renewed with an estimated value of 200 million NOK

http://www.dn.no/nyheter/finans/2016/10 ... lit-av-tui

YIMBY

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:57 pm

okay wrote:
Maybe not an A380, but I would not be surprised if they ordered A350-1000 for the Japan routes. Japan is the second biggest market for AY after Finland, not Sweden as many seem to think (http://www.finnairgroup.com/group/group_2.html). I have heard that AY has shown interest in acquiring HND slots, but for the moment all that was available were slots at NRT, which now were used for the just announced capacity increase. If at some point these increases become permanent and slot situation is as bad as it is now, an increase in aircraft size seems feasible. There is no point having "shuttle" long haul service in a period of some hours of the day.

They may be better concentrating on two types: 350-900 for far Asian destinations and 330-300 for TATL, India and China, though I would not be too surprised of a few 350-1000. Their orders are for 359 but I believe that some can still be converted, depending in which phase of the construction they are e.g. have they made definite orders for specific components.

There is a good reason to fly 2-3 planes with the same schedule HEL-NRT instead of one big plane: You can easily cancel one flight for any reason, e.g. poor sales. (Or do they have to fly the plane empty to preserve slot?)

JetBuddy

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:42 am

A good article from Bjørn Fehrm at Leeham about SAS' development since the crisis of 2012:

https://leehamnews.com/2016/10/13/evolv ... more-21129

rsanzo

Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:06 am

Hey everyone! Observations and questions.....

End of 2015/beginning of 2016, BOS received a flurry of new routes and carriers, as well as huge capacity expansion for existing routes, for Nordic routes/carriers (i.e DY seasonals each 2x weekly BOS-FDF and BOS-PTP with 737-800s; SK 7x weekly BOS-CPH with PrivatAir 737-700; DY 4x weekly BOS-LGW, 2x weekly BOS-OSL, 1x weekly BOS-CPH all with 787-8- all routes up-gauged to 787-9 in 2017; long awaited D8 5x weekly BOS-ORK and BOS-SNN; then capacity expansion on BOS-KEF S16 4x daily- FI 3x daily (added extra frequency and upgauged aircraft to 767-300ER) and WW 1x daily A321 (of the 7x weekly flights, one of them WW brings to BOS the A330-300).

Is there any more expansion coming to BOS from Nordic carriers/destinations???

DY flights to/from BOS have been very successful since inception, operating with high load factors. Given the high load factors, does it make sense for DY to make OSL and CPH seasonal to BOS? And should we expect DY to increase their presence in BOS in 2017 by adding BOS-ARN, BOS-CDG and BOS-BCN?

Any updates on the foreign carrier permit request by Norwegian Air International? They've moved to arbitration court, is there an end in sight, and is it likely to be ruled in favor of NAI, unless USDOT grants them approval first?

March 2016 SK launched daily BOS-CPH flights, with a 737-800 at first, then changed to the slightly smaller 737-700. How has SAS been doing with this flight? Thomas Glynn, the Massport Director came out and said a few months ago that SAS would be looking at the possibility of upgauging the BOS-CPH flight to the A330-300. Any word if this is being considered by SAS? The only information I have seen regarding this flight is when SAS comes out with their monthly numbers. In every report, SAS affirms that a main contributor to its increases in intercontinental passenger traffic is the BOS flight, but there is never any data provided about it. Can anyone shed light on this flights' performance and if it is likely SAS will change to the A330-300?

AY used to fly HEL-BOS 7 years ago. Any chance of AY returning to BOS? Is there demand or a market in place for a 3x or 4x weekly to HEL from BOS? I'd love to see these guys return!

Someone83

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:59 am

rsanzo wrote:
March 2016 SK launched daily BOS-CPH flights, with a 737-800 at first, then changed to the slightly smaller 737-700. How has SAS been doing with this flight? Thomas Glynn, the Massport Director came out and said a few months ago that SAS would be looking at the possibility of upgauging the BOS-CPH flight to the A330-300. Any word if this is being considered by SAS? The only information I have seen regarding this flight is when SAS comes out with their monthly numbers. In every report, SAS affirms that a main contributor to its increases in intercontinental passenger traffic is the BOS flight, but there is never any data provided about it. Can anyone shed light on this flights' performance and if it is likely SAS will change to the A330-300?

They are looking at this possibility, although it would either mean other routes will be cut or new capacity has to be added. The leasing for the Privatair 737-700 expires after the Summer 2017, so that would be the next decision point on what will happen here

Regarding Norwegian, my understanding or impression is that the available slots/gates for 787s is what holding back more transatlantic expansion. Right now they only have 1x daily 787 operation

sas767

Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Emirates Cargo has started a 1x weekly OSL-DWC flight using 777F each Tuesday. Key cargo here is salmonella

And Etihad Cargo will start CPH this coming Thursday. Two Weekly flights with 777F

http://cphtraveller.dk/notitser/etihad- ... s-lufthavn

YIMBY

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:27 am

rsanzo wrote:
AY used to fly HEL-BOS 7 years ago. Any chance of AY returning to BOS? Is there demand or a market in place for a 3x or 4x weekly to HEL from BOS? I'd love to see these guys return!

I would say no chance, but they have surprised me so many times already that you may have your possibility. I think they used 757 for BOS and now their smallest plane capable to reach BOS is 333. They would definitely not fill it with O&D passengers but would need a strong feed from Russia or Asia, which they currently do not have. Changes in East-West relations may change the Russia-America travel with many direct and undirect ways. HEL would be the perfect middle point for US-India, by shortest flight paths, but the flying to India is complicated and there is not that much O&D traffic from Helsinki to support that.

Wait another decade for Finnair to order 321LR which then (after some PIP's and tweaks) might have sufficient leg for that. Before that, maybe charter-like seasonal weekend trips with 333.

okay

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:40 am

YIMBY wrote:
rsanzo wrote:

I would say no chance, but they have surprised me so many times already that you may have your possibility. I think they used 757 for BOS and now their smallest plane capable to reach BOS is 333. They would definitely not fill it with O&D passengers but would need a strong feed from Russia or Asia, which they currently do not have. Changes in East-West relations may change the Russia-America travel with many direct and undirect ways. HEL would be the perfect middle point for US-India, by shortest flight paths, but the flying to India is complicated and there is not that much O&D traffic from Helsinki to support that.

Wait another decade for Finnair to order 321LR which then (after some PIP's and tweaks) might have sufficient leg for that. Before that, maybe charter-like seasonal weekend trips with 333.

It would be appreciated if you could at least try to authenticate your claims by sourcing them. Please provide source for the following claims:
1. "They would definitely not fill it with O&D passengers but would need a strong feed from Russia or Asia, which they currently do not have"
2. "Changes in East-West relations may change the Russia-America travel with many direct and undirect ways."
3. "but the flying to India is complicated and there is not that much O&D traffic from Helsinki to support that."
4; "maybe charter-like seasonal weekend trips with 333"

At the moment these are just your opinions which you bring forward as facts, but with no real data to back them up. Please provide it in the future or clearly express that what you are saying is indeed just your take on the subject.

To answer, in brief, to the question would HEL-BOS be sustainable, I think most important aspect to look at is the JV AY entered with BA, IB and AA. AA defines this as follows "Coordinated schedules on joint business routes, providing customers with more flight choices and more convenient times" (source: https://www.aa.com/intl/fi/newsAndPr_en/pr_finnair.jsp). Now, if AY would decide to start BOS, I assume it would be done under JV agreement. This would mean, in the spirit on JV, split costs and revenues, and the route would be fed by all member airlines.

Indeed, my bet is that BOS is AY's next US destination.

HELyes

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 am

The Atlantic Joint Venture gives a smallish player like AY new possibilities, I wonder if there would be a year around service to MIA or would SFO be happening next summer without this JV. But still, Asia is their bread and butter and that's where they focus, Japan is their second largest single market after Finland and they have big hopes for China.

BOS would be a great but my bet is we'll see a couple of new destinations in NE Asia (Chengdu, Busan, Sapporo?) before anything new in N-America.

okay

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 am

HELyes wrote:
The Atlantic Joint Venture gives a smallish player like AY new possibilities, I wonder if there would be a year around service to MIA or would SFO be happening next summer without this JV. But still, Asia is their bread and butter and that's where they focus, Japan is their second largest single market after Finland and they have big hopes for China.

BOS would be a great but my bet is we'll see a couple of new destinations in NE Asia (Chengdu, Busan, Sapporo?) before anything new in N-America.

A propos China being important for HEL, I came across this piece of news about Finavia, the Finnish Aviation Authority, co-operatinig with Beijing Airport authority by employee exchange. The idea, for Finavia, is to learn more about Chinese service culture and bring this know-how to Helsinki Airport. Chinese are the fastest growing passenger group at Helsinki Airport. There is also newly launched service at HEL, where Chinese speaking guides make the experience more comfortable by providing guidance and help to Chinese in their native language.

Source: http://www.lentoposti.fi/uutiset/finavi ... pekingista

winterlight

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:38 am

Nextjet are being forced to cease HEL-VST flights in November due to concerns raised by Swedish authorities about poor loads on the route.

Someone83

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 pm

winterlight wrote:
Nextjet are being forced to cease HEL-VST flights in November due to concerns raised by Swedish authorities about poor loads on the route.

Isn't it more the airport (VST) that no longer wants to sponsor the route?

Someone83

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Widerøe has won the authority to continue operate all the subsidized route sin Northern Norway

https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuelt/w ... id2516151/

yoplait

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Someone83 wrote:
winterlight wrote:

Isn't it more the airport (VST) that no longer wants to sponsor the route?

What is the reason for this? Seems counter-intuitive in that any airport would welcome service.

HELyes

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Finnair's A350 started on the SIN route on Monday and it looks the A343 (OH-LQD) with the poppy livery has left the fleet

One more A343 (OH-LQE) left, she is planned to go next spring. These two birds are just eight years old but it seems no bright future ahead of used A340s...

NichCage

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:50 am

Are there any plans for SAS to expand in Asia from CPH and ARN? What new destinations could be served?

Someone83

Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:23 am

NichCage wrote:
Are there any plans for SAS to expand in Asia from CPH and ARN? What new destinations could be served?

Not any current plans, except they keep saying their are looing at several long haul destinastions. But right now their fleet are anyway maxed out

HELyes wrote:
One more A343 (OH-LQE) left, she is planned to go next spring. These two birds are just eight years old but it seems no bright future ahead of used A340s...

Actually, I'll be rather surprised if these two don't end up with a new operator, especially as we recently seen much older A340-300s finding new homes, although several has been sent to the scrapper as well

okay

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:33 am

HELyes wrote:
Finnair's A350 started on the SIN route on Monday and it looks the A343 (OH-LQD) with the poppy livery has left the fleet

How many A359s AY should have received by now? They should have one more in their fleet than what they have, am I right? It is a shame they did not prolong this A340's career in the fleet, especially if she is going under the hammer. I wonder what is the utilisation level of AY's long haul fleet? Is there a lot of air in between, thus the schedule not being too sensitive for disruptions?

teme82

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:21 am

okay wrote:
How many A359s AY should have received by now? They should have one more in their fleet than what they have, am I right? It is a shame they did not prolong this A340's career in the fleet, especially if she is going under the hammer. I wonder what is the utilisation level of AY's long haul fleet? Is there a lot of air in between, thus the schedule not being too sensitive for disruptions?

If I've counted correctly they have 7 A359's on the fleet.

HELyes

Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:31 pm

winterlight wrote:

Now Nextjet says the VST-HEL service continues, the route have got somewhat less passengers than expected but the reservations look good.

In Swedish: http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/nextjet/pr ... rs-1611328

ilari

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:46 pm

HELyes wrote:
winterlight wrote:

Now Nextjet says the VST-HEL service continues, the route have got somewhat less passengers than expected but the reservations look good.

In Swedish: http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/nextjet/pr ... rs-1611328

Make up your mind, will you, Nextjet.

Have you heard anything new from Air100? Are they gone forever?

Someone83

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:58 am

Aegean increases CPH and ARN next summer

Athens – Copenhagen eff 31MAY17 Increase from 5 to 6 weekly
Athens – Stockholm Arlanda eff 21MAY17 Increase from 3 to 4 weekly

HELyes

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 am

ilari wrote:
HELyes wrote:

Have you heard anything new from Air100? Are they gone forever?

The virtual airline Air100, which was created to provide services on HEL-POR, is in serious trouble. Their operator Airest (Saab 340) left, haven't heard any news if they are still negotiating or looking for a new partner. One thing is how much more Euros the city of Pori is willing (or allowed by EU) to burn to keep the airport alive.

Mortyman

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:57 pm

The 12th Dreamliner of Norwegian has been delivered and arrived at OSL today.

Thule

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 am

Widerøe announcing lots of new direct routes, most of them summer-only, from OSL to the Lofoten and Helgeland regions (without the current intermediate stops in BOO or TRD, respectively) starting Summer 2017. Buried in the announcement are further direct routes from TOS to LKN and SVJ, again without an intermediate stop in either BOO or ANX.

(both links in Norwegian)

http://www.wideroe.no/nyedirekteruteroslo

http://www.wideroe.no/Fly-til-Lofoten-og-Vesterlen

Someone83

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:24 am

Frequencies on the new Widerøe routes, all operated by Dash-8-100/200

Svolvær:
OSL: 2x weekly (3x weekly in the summer holiday)
TOS: 12x weekly

Leknes:
TOS: 12x weekly

Stokmarknes:
OSL: 3x weekly in the summer holiday

Mosjøen:

Mo i Rana
OSL: 4x weekly

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:56 am

Camera equipped drones are now as good as completely banned in Sweden unless you have a special permit. The Supreme Administrative Court of Sweden
decided yesterday that all drones that are equipped with cameras are to be considered to be surveillance cameras. Even if that is not their main purpose,
the drones have the technical capability to function as surveillance cameras and thus they shall be considered to be surveillance cameras from a legal perspective.
That means that you need a permission from Länsstyrelsen (County administrative boards) to operate the drone
accordingly to 8 § in the Swedish surveillance camera law.

There are some exceptions were operation surveillance cameras without permission is allowed but that is not applicable to regular citizens
See §10: http://www.riksdagen.se/sv/dokument-lag ... s-2013-460

http://www.hogstaforvaltningsdomstolen. ... /78-16.pdf
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article23765408.ab
http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/lag-och-r ... lstand.htm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos