pgh234
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:48 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:53 pm

stl07 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
I'm happy for BNA but ultimately I find the announcement depressing. So many wins from smaller metro areas on the international front yet Cleveland seems to be without hope. I'm tired of driving to PIT or DTW for decent fares or nonstop service. I'm tired of purchasing a two ticket option to Europe from CLE to save money. . . . so many wonderful things going on in NE Ohio, yet the airport, both its aesthetic and its service--- bush league.

NOOOO. Cleveland is not without hope. Cleveland is smart. I can see why everyone on this forum is upset, but really, CLE (and STL, Sacramento) are the smarter ones, unlike these much smaller cities like BNA and NOLA who pump multi millions of dollars into the airlines checkbooks for a flight (PIT too). Buying out a route is not sustainable, nor justifiable when many people in these cities are under poverty line and the infrastructure needs help.


PIT-CDG on DL has been 100% self sustaining for 7 years with no additional tax payer incentives provided.
 
stl07
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:13 pm

pgh234 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
I'm happy for BNA but ultimately I find the announcement depressing. So many wins from smaller metro areas on the international front yet Cleveland seems to be without hope. I'm tired of driving to PIT or DTW for decent fares or nonstop service. I'm tired of purchasing a two ticket option to Europe from CLE to save money. . . . so many wonderful things going on in NE Ohio, yet the airport, both its aesthetic and its service--- bush league.

NOOOO. Cleveland is not without hope. Cleveland is smart. I can see why everyone on this forum is upset, but really, CLE (and STL, Sacramento) are the smarter ones, unlike these much smaller cities like BNA and NOLA who pump multi millions of dollars into the airlines checkbooks for a flight (PIT too). Buying out a route is not sustainable, nor justifiable when many people in these cities are under poverty line and the infrastructure needs help.


PIT-CDG on DL has been 100% self sustaining for 7 years with no additional tax payer incentives provided.

Yeah but look at WOW air (plus that's seasonal and on a DL 757).
 
joeman
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:14 pm

pgh234 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
I'm happy for BNA but ultimately I find the announcement depressing. So many wins from smaller metro areas on the international front yet Cleveland seems to be without hope. I'm tired of driving to PIT or DTW for decent fares or nonstop service. I'm tired of purchasing a two ticket option to Europe from CLE to save money. . . . so many wonderful things going on in NE Ohio, yet the airport, both its aesthetic and its service--- bush league.

NOOOO. Cleveland is not without hope. Cleveland is smart. I can see why everyone on this forum is upset, but really, CLE (and STL, Sacramento) are the smarter ones, unlike these much smaller cities like BNA and NOLA who pump multi millions of dollars into the airlines checkbooks for a flight (PIT too). Buying out a route is not sustainable, nor justifiable when many people in these cities are under poverty line and the infrastructure needs help.


PIT-CDG on DL has been 100% self sustaining for 7 years with no additional tax payer incentives provided.

Glad to hear that and shows medium sized cities can make it work. It calls to mind over the years reading claims by a.netters that sometimes it takes a while for a route to become profitable. But of course, that was only in reference to our most prestigious cities that an airline must serve with heavy competition. I guess it's all right for an airline to absorb those kind of teething costs if true. So it seems medium or smaller sized and non hub cities...it's make it or loose it.
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:11 am

greenair727 wrote:
1. The UA hub closure was not a 'sudden loss'.


The decision was foreseeable, but the implementation was sudden: announcement in February, implementation began in March, hub and employees gone by June.

I won't agrue your other points, they are reasonable.
 
swacle
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:43 am

As of this morning, AA has moved into their new gates on C.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:10 pm

swacle wrote:
As of this morning, AA has moved into their new gates on C.


Wow, that was quick...haha. I'll have to scope it out next week. The first few were good looking with improved seating and lighting.
 
swacle
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 pm

fun2fly wrote:
swacle wrote:
As of this morning, AA has moved into their new gates on C.


Wow, that was quick...haha. I'll have to scope it out next week. The first few were good looking with improved seating and lighting.


Only took 3 months! lol.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm

^ And promptly, CLE updated their terminal map which now shows AA in C. The flight status screen shows they are still using some of the common-use C gates, however. Maybe it will take a schedule adjustment to fit everything into 5 gates - or maybe using a common gate a couple of times a day is cheaper than renting it full time.
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:21 pm

[quote="masseybrown"]^ And promptly, CLE updated their terminal map which now shows AA in C. The flight status screen shows they are still using some of the common-use C gates, however. Maybe it will take a schedule adjustment to fit everything into 5 gates - or maybe using a common gate a couple of times a day is cheaper than renting it full time.[/quote

How many of Concourse A's 13 gates are Frontier, Spirit and Allegiant + odd ball carriers actually using?
 
swacle
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:26 pm

fun2fly wrote:
masseybrown wrote:
^ And promptly, CLE updated their terminal map which now shows AA in C. The flight status screen shows they are still using some of the common-use C gates, however. Maybe it will take a schedule adjustment to fit everything into 5 gates - or maybe using a common gate a couple of times a day is cheaper than renting it full time.[/quote

How many of Concourse A's 13 gates are Frontier, Spirit and Allegiant + odd ball carriers actually using?


At peak times In have seen 2 NK, 2 G4, and 4 F9 at gates at the same time.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm

On the subject of international route development, CLE has an RFQ on the street for marketing suppport that includes a couple of tasks that indicate to me they anticipate cooperative marketing campaigns with airlines starting new routes.

"F. Assist in the development of marketing programs for the department and in support of new service announcements for airlines that receive marketing incentives ..."

"G. The services provided may be utilized in, but not limited to, the production of brochures and other promotional literature in multiple languages ... "

You can read the whole thing on the airport website, but the bolded portions say to me that CLE anticipates promoting and providing a promotional subsidy for new international routes.
 
greenair727
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm

^Interesting. I hope F & G, above, are new items in the RFP and/or that they signify something. This RFP/contract is one the city always has running, but I don't know if the 'air service incentive' language is new or just 'boilerplate' from last time. One of the questions in Addendum #4 is: "It was mentioned in the pre-proposal conference that previous years spends have been between $500,000 and $1.8M. Can you elaborate on what you’d anticipate for the coming year’s budget?".... so this is a regular - standing contracting and not necessarily tied to imminent new service. That said, who's in the incumbent? If attracting/selling the city for int'l air services (to airlines) was part of their purview, they've clearly failed as well, though it looks like the work is retainer-based and by assignment, so if CLE didn't give them any specific tasks for this, its not really the company's fault....
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:40 am

DoT put some nice numbers out today. May domestic boardings at CLE were 385.1K, the best number for the month since 2009. O&D at BKL was 1,836, a 71% load factor, Ultimate's best month since they started flying.
 
greenair727
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 pm

^Good to hear. Any updates on BKL service? Ultimate quietly dropped MMU (which I was not surprised about, being 3x/week and requiring overnights on both ends, and being so far from Manhattan), but any news on Chicago? Silver? Porter?
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^Good to hear. Any updates on BKL service? Ultimate quietly dropped MMU (which I was not surprised about, being 3x/week and requiring overnights on both ends, and being so far from Manhattan), but any news on Chicago? Silver? Porter?


I suspect Ultimate is having trouble acquiring aircraft. With the prospect of cheap fuel for a good while, the price of used E135s had firmed up - maybe beyond what UE wants to pay..
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am

fun2fly wrote:
How many of Concourse A's 13 gates are Frontier, Spirit and Allegiant + odd ball carriers actually using?


A currently has only 12 gates (A4 was permanently closed when NK took A2 & A6; and there was never an A13).
 
greenair727
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:59 am

I didn't even know CGF was closed for a bit...

"Cuyahoga County Airport To Reopen after Runway Project
August 1, 2017, 12:05 PM

Cleveland Cuyahoga County Airport will reopen its sole Runway 6/24 on Thursday after a more than two-month reconstruction project of the 5,100-foot surface. According to the county authority, the $9 million job—paid for by FAA grants (90 percent), the Ohio DoT and the county—involved milling and resurfacing the runway, in addition to adding a new taxiway connector. Due to the need for the surface to cure completely, the runway will be closed again on August 19 and 20 to install grooves in its surface...."

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... ay-project
 
greenair727
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 am

^^ why was A4 permanently closed?
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 am

greenair727 wrote:
I didn't even know CGF was closed for a bit...

"Cuyahoga County Airport To Reopen after Runway Project
August 1, 2017, 12:05 PM

Cleveland Cuyahoga County Airport will reopen its sole Runway 6/24 on Thursday after a more than two-month reconstruction project of the 5,100-foot surface. According to the county authority, the $9 million job—paid for by FAA grants (90 percent), the Ohio DoT and the county—involved milling and resurfacing the runway, in addition to adding a new taxiway connector. Due to the need for the surface to cure completely, the runway will be closed again on August 19 and 20 to install grooves in its surface...."

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... ay-project


It's been a weird deal. The opened it for a few hours the other day, even though the project was not done. Several airplane owners moved their private planes to Lake County for two months.
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:45 pm

fun2fly wrote:
It's been a weird deal. The opened it for a few hours the other day, even though the project was not done. Several airplane owners moved their private planes to Lake County for two months.


A couple of hours to let Nextant deliver some planes? I wish the runway extension had been approved. Current lengths limit business; the longer length wouldn't have increased traffic that much.
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^^ why was A4 permanently closed?


I don't think NK could park 3 A320-sized planes in that tight space that was originally built for Allegheny's BAC 1-11's and DC-9's (and the occasional Allegheny Commuter Heron). So they removed the A4 jetway and blocked the door.
 
lakeeffect
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Looking at the May carrier statistics for CLE, there appeared to be growth across most all airlines. Even mainline United was up over the prior May. May 2017 was Frontier's busiest month ever at CLE.

May 2017 mainline domestic pax (increase from May 2016)

WN 120,147 (10.6%)
F9 113,204 (22.6%)
UA 106,633 (16.3%)
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:55 pm

lakeeffect wrote:
Looking at the May carrier statistics for CLE, there appeared to be growth across most all airlines. Even mainline United was up over the prior May. May 2017 was Frontier's busiest month ever at CLE.

May 2017 mainline domestic pax (increase from May 2016)

WN 120,147 (10.6%)
F9 113,204 (22.6%)
UA 106,633 (16.3%)


Do UA's figures include only mainline or also Express?
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:39 am

CLEguy wrote:
lakeeffect wrote:
Looking at the May carrier statistics for CLE, there appeared to be growth across most all airlines. Even mainline United was up over the prior May. May 2017 was Frontier's busiest month ever at CLE.

May 2017 mainline domestic pax (increase from May 2016)

WN 120,147 (10.6%)
F9 113,204 (22.6%)
UA 106,633 (16.3%)


Do UA's figures include only mainline or also Express?


Sorry...I now see this includes mainline only.
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 pm

One of the interesting differences between CLE and PIT used to be the fact that PIT had much more traffic to BOS while CLE had much more to LAX.

For example using Q4 in 2015 CLE-BOS was 563 pax/day, while PIT-BOS was 1064; CLE-LAX was 497 while PIT-LAX was 309. Along came 2016 and CLE-BOS was 740, while PIT-BOS was 786; and CLE-LAX was 729, while PIT-LAX was 617. The long standing differences have almost disappeared in one single year

CLE's absolute differences from year to year can mostly be explained (I think) by the flight reduction at CAK plus ULCC fare stimulation. The change in the relative differences with PIT I don't get at all. Any ideas?
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 pm

masseybrown wrote:
One of the interesting differences between CLE and PIT used to be the fact that PIT had much more traffic to BOS while CLE had much more to LAX.

For example using Q4 in 2015 CLE-BOS was 563 pax/day, while PIT-BOS was 1064; CLE-LAX was 497 while PIT-LAX was 309. Along came 2016 and CLE-BOS was 740, while PIT-BOS was 786; and CLE-LAX was 729, while PIT-LAX was 617. The long standing differences have almost disappeared in one single year

CLE's absolute differences from year to year can mostly be explained (I think) by the flight reduction at CAK plus ULCC fare stimulation. The change in the relative differences with PIT I don't get at all. Any ideas?


As far as PIT-LAX, IIRC in 2015 it was only AA operating the route. Jump to 2016 and you have AA and WN on the route. Today AA is replaced by NK.
PIT-BOS in the 4th quarter of 2016 had significant reductions by AA between the holidays. This year should see some good growth on the route with B6 stepping up to 5x daily (6x daily next year), DL adding 2x daily and AA still having a minimal presence. I believe it will be 11 flights in total on peak days next year.

So we can see how the markets are stimulated by the increase in nonstop options and low fares, and vice versa.
FLYi
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:13 pm

^flyPIT, I appreciate your insight.

Nice news from Susan Glaser about Frontier connecting flights. Now we get to speculate on what the additional feeder flights might be. Looking at their map and not expecting new destinations, maybe PVD, GRR, MSN? They used to feed CO@CLE a bunch of passengers.
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:22 pm

masseybrown wrote:
^flyPIT, I appreciate your insight.

Nice news from Susan Glaser about Frontier connecting flights. Now we get to speculate on what the additional feeder flights might be. Looking at their map and not expecting new destinations, maybe PVD, GRR, MSN? They used to feed CO@CLE a bunch of passengers.


Here's the story you reference: http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.s ... art_c.html
 
Robert1010
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:31 pm

It's too bad Frontier does not have a int'l code share partner!
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:23 am

Robert1010 wrote:
It's too bad Frontier does not have a int'l code share partner!


They could always do the flying themselves. :smile:
 
greenair727
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm

^Aren't they affiliated somehow with Wizz?
 
lakeeffect
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 pm

I wouldn't expect much in the way of connecting traffic from Frontier. It'll probably be just incidental connections based on aircraft routing. For example, currently it's the same plane that flies MCO-CLE that then goes on to PDX. F9 can sell connections on these flights because if the MCO flight is delayed they will still make their connection to PDX as it's the same plane.

I also see F9 is selling TPA-CLE-PHX itineraries. But good luck getting many to purchase that itinerary, especially in winter. Since most of the F9 CLE winter routes are to the south it means logical connections are gone. I think the true potential for connecting traffic would be next spring and summer. If F9 keeps the same routes they had this year and throws in another 2 or 3 the possible connecting itineries really grows.
 
fsafsx
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Its good to see cleveland getting back on track I hope frontier makes a hub out of cle.
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 pm

greenair727 wrote:
^Aren't they affiliated somehow with Wizz?


Indigo Partners owns both of them. CLE ought to try talking F9 into flying CLE-DUB and hooking up with Ryan Air.
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:10 pm

lakeeffect wrote:
I wouldn't expect much in the way of connecting traffic from Frontier. It'll probably be just incidental connections based on aircraft routing.


That was my first thought, but then S. Glaser teased about "several new destinations" being added soon at CLE.
 
greenair727
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Crazy that CGF gets more than CLE while BKL gets nothing.....


"...Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is set to award $162.4 million in airport infrastructure grants through the Airport Improvement Program (AIP). The grants will affect 72 airports in 31 states [including:]...

Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport in Cleveland, OH, $7.3 million – funds will be used to purchase snow removal equipment.

Cuyahoga County Airport in Cleveland, OH, $11.3 million – grant funds will be used to repair and extend Runway 06/24...."

http://www.equipmentworld.com/usdot-faa ... re-grants/
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Cuyahoga County Airport in Cleveland, OH, $11.3 million – grant funds will be used to repair and extend Runway 06/24...."


Great! The extension will help Nextant take on larger rebuilds.

Meanwhile CLE reported the best July since 2001, 12% better thn last year, which was impacted by RNC traffic. 892K pax, up over 100K from 2016.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... river_home

Edit: 5,231K pax for the year through July

Additional service still to be announced this year by Frontier and Southwest, says Kennedy.

Better report from the airport itself: http://www.clevelandairport.com/clevela ... -july-2017
 
User avatar
cvgComair
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Interesting F9 is talking about connections, apparently F9 is also planning on connecting passengers through Cincinnati. I will be interested to see if there is a CLE/CVG service announcement in the Fall.
Next: CVG-IAH, Delta Connection CRJ-900
A319/320/332, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340
 
lakeeffect
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm

masseybrown wrote:
greenair727 wrote:
Cuyahoga County Airport in Cleveland, OH, $11.3 million – grant funds will be used to repair and extend Runway 06/24...."


Great! The extension will help Nextant take on larger rebuilds.

Meanwhile CLE reported the best July since 2001, 12% better thn last year, which was impacted by RNC traffic. 892K pax, up over 100K from 2016.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... river_home

Edit: 5,231K pax for the year through July

Additional service still to be announced this year by Frontier and Southwest, says Kennedy.

Better report from the airport itself: http://www.clevelandairport.com/clevela ... -july-2017


At this rate CLE will probably eclipse 9 million passengers for 2017. An increase of over 100,000 passengers for July is pretty substantial considering last July was the RNC. I think part of this growth is Southwest consolidating CAK operations at CLE in June.

It's very interesting to hear the director say that Frontier and Southwest announcements are yet to come. Southwest has another schedule extension in less than 2 weeks for late spring travel. I wonder if we might see another curve ball from WN or if it'll be something like DAL or HOU? Interestingly enough, AUS has been Allegiant's best performing route from CLE so perhaps WN is taking note of that as well?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Frontier announcement comes later in the fall when they unveil their spring/summer 2018 plans and new routes. With AA now moved to the C concourse, Frontier could easily expand their footprint on the A concourse if needed. I could see CLE-PVD working out as a new O&D destination and for connections.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 pm

"We look to continue to grow with additional service still to be announced from Frontier and Southwest starting in the fall."

This wording is confusing. I would assume they mean the announcements are in starting in the fall but it reads like the routes would start in fall. That doesn't make sense to me though
 
masseybrown
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm

lakeeffect wrote:
At this rate CLE will probably eclipse 9 million passengers for 2017.


The last time CLE had 9 million at least a third of it came from connecting passengers; this time it's almost pure O&D. I really like what that says about the city's economy.
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
"We look to continue to grow with additional service still to be announced from Frontier and Southwest starting in the fall."

This wording is confusing. I would assume they mean the announcements are in starting in the fall but it reads like the routes would start in fall. That doesn't make sense to me though


F9 expansion, not that great news, but helps pay down debt.

WN news is very good as they are reliable, routes stick, financially stable, etc.

No news of an international expansion is disappointing which means we need to queue the CLE fight song: "Wait till next year"
 
joeman
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:16 pm

masseybrown wrote:
lakeeffect wrote:
I wouldn't expect much in the way of connecting traffic from Frontier. It'll probably be just incidental connections based on aircraft routing.


That was my first thought, but then S. Glaser teased about "several new destinations" being added soon at CLE.


The hint of new destinations is good, but I don't expect hardly much in the connecting dept. I just checked the F9 website and the only CLE-SFO option, leaving 10/6/17 leaves CLE at 9:30am arrives DEN at 10:49am and after an 11 hour connection time leaves DEN at 9:47pm.
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: What's Going In CLE - Part 14

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:31 pm

I somehow missed this announcement last month. CLE earns best customer service scores in a decade:

http://clevelandairport.com/cle-earns-b ... res-decade

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos