Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sassiciai

Re: New Airline in Belgium: Air Belgium

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:10 am

I see that on Saturday 21 April, Air Belgium will operate 2 "dress rehearsal" flights, each a 3-hour trip around Europe, departing from and returning to CRL. Y-class fare is €25! Free parking at CRL included! Business is only €50! All ticket revenues will be donated to charities

https://www.airbelgium.com/en/flytogether

cougar15

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:39 am

sassiciai wrote:
I see that on Saturday 21 April, Air Belgium will operate 2 "dress rehearsal" flights, each a 3-hour trip around Europe, departing from and returning to CRL. Y-class fare is €25! Free parking at CRL included! Business is only €50! All ticket revenues will be donated to charities

that actually sounds like really good value for those of us that want to ride on a 343!

CarbonFibre

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:00 am

The 8pm finish of the 2nd flight ruined it for me as it's too late to get over to BRU for the flight back to LHR.

B747forever

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 am

sassiciai wrote:

The first flight is already sold out!

330lover

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 am

Seat selection at extra cost in business class. Up to EUR 75,00 extra just to select your seat.
Almost as bad as BA...

sassiciai

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 am

The first dress rehearsal flight is airborne, currently flying close to Hannover at FL390. Just turned to the North, heading in the general direction of Copenhagen.

Well, it proves that the runway at CRL is enough for an A340-300 with fuel for a planned 3 hour flight. Add the fuel necessary to make it to HKG, that will be heavy.

The airline claims that CRL is committed to lengthening the runway in a couple of years, which will remove the restriction on the HKG-bound flight of blocking off seats

FR24 call sign is ABB340

FlyRow

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Acording to Dutch aviation site Luchtvaartnieuws.nl The Air Belgium inaugural flight to Hong Kong is postponed again . Apperntly they are not yet allowed to fly in Russian airspace.

InnsbruckFlyer

Air Belgium Delays Lauch By Over A Month

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Wow, who saw that coming! Email they sent to passengers (source: One Mile at a Time):

[i][i]"Dear passenger,

We are very sorry to announce to you that Air Belgium has decided to reschedule its flights of May 2018 to Hong Kong including yours. Circumstances have forced us to reschedule the launch date – which was originally planned on April 30th – towards June 3rd 2018. There are two main reasons that made it unavoidable for us to make this hard decision, which we will explain to you further on in this letter.

But first allow us to express our sincere apology for this unfortunate set-back and to assure you that we are doing everything we can to find a satisfying solution for you. This solution will consist of three compensation proposals:

A seat on a flight of another airline, so you can reach Hong Kong as planned without any additional cost.
A deferred travel date with Air Belgium, with financial compensation.
A full reimbursement.

Our team will call you as of tomorrow to explain these proposals and to discuss which one you prefer.

There are two reasons behind this decision. Despite all efforts of our teams and the Belgian authorities, we are still expecting to receive the overflight permit from the Russian Authorities, knowing that overflying Russian airspace is unavoidable. Air Belgium did secure all other required permits well in advance. However, the Russian permit has not yet been granted. The second issue is that the uncertainty created by the above together with complicated and delayed GDS implementation – GDS is the system which should make our flights visible to third parties such as tour operators or travel agencies worldwide – prevented Chinese tourist groups from being directed to our flights.”

We sincerely hope you understand that we had no other option and we hope you will fly with us soon!"
[/i][/i]

InnsbruckFlyer

JPhoto

Air Belgium delays launch by over a month

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 pm

9MMPQ

Re: Air Belgium Delays Lauch By Over A Month

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 pm

I have no problem believing they don't yet have the overflight permit for Russia. That can be more time consuming then elsewhere in the world & since their Air Operator Certificate came through only last month, March 14th apparently, they may have just hit the bureaucratic wall in Russia.

Not too sure about GDS, perhaps a case of too little too late for right now ? But June 3rd is still a fair way away. Staying tuned.

UAL747422

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 pm

I believe there is already a topic chatting about this

Dominion301

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Sounds like they’re handling it very professionally with multiple options to the affected passengers.

I certainly wish them a successful launch on the second attempt.

A380MSN004

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 pm

FlyRow wrote:
Acording to Dutch aviation site Luchtvaartnieuws.nl The Air Belgium inaugural flight to Hong Kong is postponed again . Apperntly they are not yet allowed to fly in Russian airspace.

Russians are waiting for the money :)

Nami

Fri May 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Seems like everything is set as far as Russian airspace is concerned:

Air Belgium confirms its first flight to Hong Kong on 3 June

Air Belgium confirms that the first flight to Hong Kong will take place on June 3, 2018. The airline also announces the acquisition of the Russian overflight permit, allowing it to fly through Russian airspace, and that it has taken care of the last arrangements in order to welcome Chinese passengers in the best possible way.

Given the impact of the delayed launch, Air Belgium has been forced to adapt the frequency of its flights to Hong Kong during the launch phase. The company will offer two flights per week in June, followed by three per week from July onward and, finally, four per week from October onward.

It is expected that, very soon, Air Belgium will launch additional flights to China, starting with Wuhan, and other Asian destinations. Two more A340 aircraft are expected to join the current fleet of two A340s.

http://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air-b ... thorities/

LPSHobby

Fri May 18, 2018 5:40 pm

they have yet 2 aircarfts, so why will they operate only 2 weekly flights?

BrusselsSouth

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:19 pm

I visited CRL today (May 3rd) to watch the first scheduled departure to HKG.

OO-ABB took off about 1 hour late (estimated into HKG 15 minutes late).
She's about to enter Russian airspace as I write.

There were more spotters than I had anticipated (although a good number of them, who had settled at the western end of the runway, were fooled by a wind and runway direction change just a few minutes before her departure - the runway was switched from 25 to 07, I barely had time to drive all the way to the eastern end to snap a couple of pictures).

Here are some of my (non professional!) photos:

Regards
BrusselsSouth

A380MSN004

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:06 am

15 pax aboard but apparently it's a technical flight. First commercial one is scheduled on 6th June 2018

https://www.deplacementspros.com/Air-Be ... 48586.html (sorry only in French)

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 am

So their wet-lease to AF has ended?

BestWestern

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:48 am

I flew with the Air Belgium first flight return cabin crew on the CX BRU HKG on Saturday. What a wonderful bunch of people, really excited about their new jobs. They were in their uniforms for take off and landing. Sitting beside them in Y+, it was great to see their professionalism and knowledge of their product.

This won’t be easy for Air Belgium because the CX fares are already rock bottom.

oldannyboy

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:48 pm

BestWestern wrote:
I flew with the Air Belgium first flight return cabin crew on the CX BRU HKG on Saturday. What a wonderful bunch of people, really excited about their new jobs. They were in their uniforms for take off and landing. Sitting beside them in Y+, it was great to see their professionalism and knowledge of their product.

This won’t be easy for Air Belgium because the CX fares are already rock bottom.

Oh, I for one wish them the very best! I really hope they succeed..

I was in CRL the other day, and their A340s look magnificent!

ap305

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Good luck to them but painting the cockpit windows black is not going to give the a340 economics on par with the a350 :P

itisi

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Saw OO-ABB here in Hong Kong today... can't link the photo as I don't use this site for my photos ...

scandinavian590

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 pm

ushermittwoch wrote:
So their wet-lease to AF has ended?

No, it hasn't. They use their second A340 for this part of their operations. Unfortunately that aircraft is on ground in Libreville (according to www.aviation24.be)

Kashmon

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:59 am

BestWestern wrote:

if an A340 really beats an A350 ( way lower operating cost + superior products + superior CX product + superior CX lounges + superior CX onward connections)

and Air Belgium is not kicked out of this route.

CX easily has the most incompetent managers on earth.

na

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Kashmon wrote:
if an A340 really beats an A350 ( way lower operating cost + superior products + superior CX product + superior CX lounges + superior CX onward connections)
and Air Belgium is not kicked out of this route.
CX easily has the most incompetent managers on earth.

I doubt that at least an Economy passenger will notice much difference. The A340 is a very comfy airplane already.

BA777300er

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 pm

I thought the a340 had very high operating costs, that’s why it is no longer in production

BestWestern

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:45 am

It seems that Air Belgium is going for the Chinese tour group business to fill most of its seats. They launched after Cathay announced, so know what they are getting into. CX also fills a lot of their European Y cabin with tour groups, but since these tours are built on lowest over all cost - nobody really cares where they fly to.

BRU must be the worst capital city airport in Europe, so CRL isn’t that much of a penalty. It’s closer to CDG to absorb all the CDG cancellations too.

speedbird52

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:32 am

BA777300er wrote:
I thought the a340 had very high operating costs, that’s why it is no longer in production

Well no. The A340 has always been regarded as a good aircraft. It's just that the 777 and newer A330s are better aircraft.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:45 am

Also this month, Air France is using Air Belgium leased capacity on their route to Gabon. OO-ABA is covering this service. If they want to do more ACMI, they'll definitely need the other two ex-AY A343s. Do they have any plans for a Part 129 FACP to offer leased capacity to the USA?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos