Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Re: What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Also have heard both Norwegian and Thomas Cook will be announced, heard it on a local fourm and have heard from another source as well.

A TPA Ops employee recently posted a photo on his personal Instagram (Username: undertow) of a Thomas Cook diversion that happened a month'ish ago and used a hashtag saying "comingsoontotpa".

Have you heard anything about what routes Norwegian might announce from TPA? I heard they might add a Paris flight.

Have heard Rome and Paris

FLYKTPA

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Also have heard both Norwegian and Thomas Cook will be announced, heard it on a local fourm and have heard from another source as well.

A TPA Ops employee recently posted a photo on his personal Instagram (Username: undertow) of a Thomas Cook diversion that happened a month'ish ago and used a hashtag saying "comingsoontotpa".

Have you heard anything about what routes Norwegian might announce from TPA? I heard they might add a Paris flight.

Have heard Rome and Paris

Rome would suprise me since they haven't added MCO-Rome flight yet. Nevertheless I could see a 1x weekly FCO-TPA flight work.

airtrantpa

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:46 am

UPS Pilot wrote:
Tampa is always going to be mid level airport. The city does not have the demand as Orlando and Miami. There is not much business' headquartered there. The sports teams are not very good so they don't draw out of town travelers to see games. The only amusement park is Busch Gardens which is right in the ghetto. The only thing that Tampa has going for it is it's the largest airport on the West Coast of Florida beaches. With is being an hour drive from Orlando, it will never have the presence that MCO or Miami has.

Our sports teams are very good thank you very much. If it wasn't for the theme parks Orlando would just be another city in the middle of nowhere florida

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 am

If Norwegian comes to Tampa, I'd be surprised if it was anything other than Gatwick.

aemoreira1981

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:33 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Aer Lingus simply isn't realistic with it flying to MCO already and an MIA announcement supposedly forthcoming soon.

LH makes MCO,MIA and TPA all work then why not Aer Lingus? I do think that if TPA happened it would be after MIA was added.

Aer Lingus is more apt to route passengers to where they have connections with B6. LGW is already served from TPA as well. The problem is that I can't think of anything else not already served at MCO.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:05 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Aer Lingus simply isn't realistic with it flying to MCO already and an MIA announcement supposedly forthcoming soon.

LH makes MCO,MIA and TPA all work then why not Aer Lingus? I do think that if TPA happened it would be after MIA was added.

Aer Lingus is more apt to route passengers to where they have connections with B6. LGW is already served from TPA as well. The problem is that I can't think of anything else not already served at MCO.

Are Lingus hasn't even begun it's Miami flights. TPA service, if ever, is very, very far off.

flymco753

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:59 am

I think TPA-DTW is going to get some A321's on DL soon. I use TPA as my secondary to MCO and the 739, M90 and 88 gets terrible, always oversold, weight critical, and uncomfortable. 305DN did a few rounds to TPA when it was in Detroit for a few weeks so I see 3 of 6 flights going to A321's sometime in the next year. Other than that I think 2 airlines is slim in competition, I think strongly of F9 splitting RSW and doing 4x weekly TPA-DTW in the winter, in August/September/October is when F9 generally announces winter adds.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 am

^DTW-TPA usually sees multiple 752/3s during peak season, so it feels like a matter of time before they're swapped with 21's, indeed.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 am

MAH4546 wrote:
If Norwegian comes to Tampa, I'd be surprised if it was anything other than Gatwick.

To be fair, though, I can't imagine you'd ever endorse the idea that TPA would see up to 3x weekly to ZRH, or FI to KEF.

I don't see 1x weekly to CDG (and, to a lesser extend, FCO) to be unreasonable. It is a large metro that can be stimulated, and unlike other regions on the medium/large market cusp, there is also plenty of opportunities to stimulate demand on the EU side. Historically, France and Italy have not been significant drivers of traffic to Central Florida, but that can change with new business models.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 am

axiom wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

To be fair, though, I can't imagine you'd ever endorse the idea that TPA would see up to 3x weekly to ZRH, or FI to KEF.

I don't see 1x weekly to CDG (and, to a lesser extend, FCO) to be unreasonable. It is a large metro that can be stimulated, and unlike other regions on the medium/large market cusp, there is also plenty of opportunities to stimulate demand on the EU side. Historically, France and Italy have not been significant drivers of traffic to Central Florida, but that can change with new business models.

Both ZRH and KEF are perfectly reasonable. WK and FI make a business model out of serving secondary trans-Atlantic airports in the United States, and have significant feed, FI on its own an WK through Swiss.

Norwegian's 787 network, outside of some of the Gatwick flying, is volume markets and relies largely on point-to-point.

I don't think a weekly TPACDG is unreasonable (TPAFCO, though, yes, unreasonable), but far more important markets to take care of before Tampa. Miami to Paris is bigger than Tampa to all of Europe and I think Norwegian is at only one or two weekly.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am

MAH4546 wrote:
axiom wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Both ZRH and KEF are perfectly reasonable. WK and FI make a business model out of serving secondary trans-Atlantic airports in the United States, and have significant feed, FI on its own an WK through Swiss.

Norwegian's 787 network, outside of some of the Gatwick flying, is volume markets and relies largely on point-to-point.

You'll recall that TPA was WK's first year-round route in the US, starting in 2012. The success of the route hinges on the ability to draw traffic both ways, which is one of the defining features of the smaller FAA hub markets like TPA, SAN, and so on -- that is the opportunity for Norwegian.

The TPA market provides a perfectly reasonable -- and underestimated -- basis for attempting service to otherwise unconventional markets.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 am

If Norwegian starts TPA, it'll likely be just from LGW and I'll stand by that opinion. If a market other than LGW is added, I'd say it would be from CPH or OSL, because despite the non-existent local market, Scandinavia is very easy to stimulate in both directions, and it's travel habits better align with Northern Europe, who see Florida as more than just South Beach, as opposed to Southern and Eastern Europeans who basically just go to Miami and that's it.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am

^I think that's a reasonable and accurate assessment of Florida's market dynamics today. Let's see what happens.

deltadudejg

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 am

Does anyone see how sending Norwegian to PIE could work? TPA is pretty full up on international flights. With landing fees being essentially half the price of TPA, it would be less expensive to send a 788 on this once a week service you all are feeling out.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 am

deltadudejg wrote:
Does anyone see how sending Norwegian to PIE could work? TPA is pretty full up on international flights. With landing fees being essentially half the price of TPA, it would be less expensive to send a 788 on this once a week service you all are feeling out.

Like many airports, TPA has a very generous incentive program that would more than offset those costs and likely overshadow what PIE could offer. It also seems like the region's economic development institutions have coalesced around TPA, and it's unclear if PIE could replicate that kind of institutional commitment to new service.

Here is an overview of some of the incentive packages TPA and other regional institutions have offered to new entrants:

"Airlines at Tampa International Airport and the incentives they received:

2012: Nonstop to Zurich on Edelweiss Air

$100,000 from Visit Tampa Bay

$116,000 from Visit St. Pete-Clearwater

$100,000 from Visit Florida

$99,514 in marketing and $262,765 in fees waived from Tampa International Airport.

------

2013: Nonstop to Panama City on Copa Airlines

$428,000 from Visit St. Pete-Clearwater

$250,000 from Visit Florida

$283,206 in marketing and $186,765 in fees waived from Tampa International Airport

------

2014: Nonstop to Seattle on Alaska Airlines

$200,954 in marketing and $250,848 in fees waived from Tampa International Airport

------

2015: Nonstop to Frankfurt on Lufthansa

$492,000 from Visit St. Pete-Clearwater

$250,000 from Visit Florida

$329,529 in marketing and $515,992 in fees waived from Tampa International Airport"

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/a ... on/2298083

commavia

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

axiom wrote:
From google maps, looks like gates 83, 87, 88, and 90 are striped for widebodies. 83W blocks 82, and 87W blocks 86. Not sure if 86, 88, 90 can handle widebodies simultaneously -- may be that only 2 of the 3 can. Assuming that's 3 widebody gates at one time, and each can only be used during one daily transatlantic push, that leaves the airport with 21 weekly spots. 15 are occupied by BA, LH, WK this week. That's a little bit of wiggle room for new entrants.

In practice, it's far more capacity than 21 weekly flights, though, because not all transatlantic flights have to be on gates, and then depart, simultaneously (or close to simultaneously). The BA 777, for instance, is scheduled to be on a gate 1600-1800 in the evening, but there's certainly nothing to say that another longhaul widebody couldn't use that same gate for, say, 1900-2100. For some airlines given stage lengths, hub structures, time differences, etc., that may be suboptimal timing, but for others it may work perfectly. I was actually just in TPA in the late afternoon a few weeks ago and saw the BA 777 come in, board and depart. Between when the Copa and Cayman 737s left and about 1715, and then after 1800 when the BA flight left, that entire far end of Airside F was deserted. All that's to say ... I think the airport will be more than capable of accommodating a not-insignificant amount of new longhaul widebody growth, if it should need to, before any new terminal capacity is open.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 pm

TPA is now being notated as a destination in Norwegians IFE map. Should be a sign of soon to come announcment one would think. Picture of it on a TPA spotters Instgram. Will try to get the picture up or at least a link to it.

FLYKTPA

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
TPA is now being notated as a destination in Norwegians IFE map. Should be a sign of soon to come announcment one would think. Picture of it on a TPA spotters Instgram. Will try to get the picture up or at least a link to it.

That picture is from my IG. I have seen TPA listed as a destination in trip report videos far back as 2014.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:10 pm

^^

Ahh gotcha. That a recent screengrab photo?

FLYKTPA

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:10 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Ahh gotcha. That a recent screengrab photo?

That photo is from a video posted in October, 2016.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 pm

commavia wrote:
axiom wrote:
From google maps, looks like gates 83, 87, 88, and 90 are striped for widebodies. 83W blocks 82, and 87W blocks 86. Not sure if 86, 88, 90 can handle widebodies simultaneously -- may be that only 2 of the 3 can. Assuming that's 3 widebody gates at one time, and each can only be used during one daily transatlantic push, that leaves the airport with 21 weekly spots. 15 are occupied by BA, LH, WK this week. That's a little bit of wiggle room for new entrants.

In practice, it's far more capacity than 21 weekly flights, though, because not all transatlantic flights have to be on gates, and then depart, simultaneously (or close to simultaneously). The BA 777, for instance, is scheduled to be on a gate 1600-1800 in the evening, but there's certainly nothing to say that another longhaul widebody couldn't use that same gate for, say, 1900-2100. For some airlines given stage lengths, hub structures, time differences, etc., that may be suboptimal timing, but for others it may work perfectly. I was actually just in TPA in the late afternoon a few weeks ago and saw the BA 777 come in, board and depart. Between when the Copa and Cayman 737s left and about 1715, and then after 1800 when the BA flight left, that entire far end of Airside F was deserted. All that's to say ... I think the airport will be more than capable of accommodating a not-insignificant amount of new longhaul widebody growth, if it should need to, before any new terminal capacity is open.

Good observations, but that may only be the case on days when WK isn't in town, which is up to three times a week. There is definitely some later evening capscity, sure.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 pm

For TPA's OPS, FI lands at 9pm which is clear of almost all the INTL flights of F, aside from maybe a late WK. FI then RON's till nearly 9pm the next day, so hardstands untill 9pm and again misses the INTL 'rush'.

AirTransat will most likely use E.

ThomasCook could do a BA type early flight and use the gate LH typically uses and be out before LH comes in and Norwegian could do a post BA or even a post LH schedule.

GVIIO

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm

I can clarify TPA's gate options. Currently the only gates with customs are F83, F85, F87, F88, and F90, when F87 is in use it blocks 86 if it is a widebody. Any widebody on F88 or F90 eliminates F89, however F88 and F90 with widebodies are no problem as BA and WK park next to each other. F85 is only good for a narrowbody. LH parks on F83 and that eliminates gate F82 for AA. For another widebody in the mix it would likely have to use F88 on the days WK doesn't fly as F88 has a line for a 787 or come in or depart after BA leaves around 1830 and use F90. F88 and F90 are used early in the afternoon by Cayman and Copa and F83 is used earlier in the afternoon by Eastern, for another widebody or two for that matter it would take some real coordination by airport ops. It would be doable but the timing would have to be just right. To put my two cents in also if Norwegian came I would expect the flight to be from LGW or CPH, CDG or FCO would be a bold move however.

GVIIO

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Also what forum was Norwegian coming to TPA discussed on previously?

KTPAFlyer

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:43 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

TPA already has LGW. I don't know if Norwegian has ever launched a destination with CDG before LGW but it would make much more sense to start a new route than split it with BA. They've already started CDG from MCO and that was a pretty big deal. If Norwegian comes to TPA with LGW, I can guarantee CDG will become a reality not long afterwards.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

TPA already has LGW. I don't know if Norwegian has ever launched a destination with CDG before LGW but it would make much more sense to start a new route than split it with BA. They've already started CDG from MCO and that was a pretty big deal. If Norwegian comes to TPA with LGW, I can guarantee CDG will become a reality not long afterwards.

Seattle, Denver, Chicago and Austin all already had London service, too, and that's all Norwegian is offering from those four cities.

Just don't see TPACDG becoming reality on Norwegian.

SANFan

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 pm

axiom wrote:
All great news, but where are they going to park the planes? Even at two weekly frequencies each, I don't see where they can go without blocking two narrowbody gates when BA, LH, WK are around. Right now there's only one day -- Friday -- when all three are on the ground at the same time and they manage, but that really leaves TPA with limited options. FI will be joining the transatlantic evening mix too. Norwegian could slot in after BA leave, which is usually earlier, perhaps. Definitely going to put the squeeze on AA at some point.

Nice problem to have, isn't it?! We in SAN know the feeling. How about remote hardstands? A few buses and an unloading dock somewhere in the FIS complex would certainly be a quick and fairly cheap fix.

Time for the airport planners to do some growing perhaps to increase your FIS facilities.

I imagine there are several other airports in the U.S. in the same boat: all of a sudden, intercontinental flights are coming out of the woodwork to cities that weren't, for the most part, expecting it! As I said, such a problem to face!

bb

TVNWZ

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:51 pm

The master plan calls for a new Airside D with 16 domestic and INTERNATIONAL gates. That would help with any international expansion. We will see if/when that gets built. Not in the near term I do not believe. Right now the area is used for parking.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
The master plan calls for a new Airside D with 16 domestic and INTERNATIONAL gates. That would help with any international expansion. We will see if/when that gets built. Not in the near term I do not believe. Right now the area is used for parking.

Airside D, which for all intents and purposes will be the new INTL airside is planned to start as Phase 3 in 2020 of the Airport Master Plan. As you mentioned will have 16 INTL capable gates.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Airside C also have the ability to be easily retrofitted for FIS? There's regularly chatter about WN expanding their international footprint beyond HAV, but that such a space could open up a few spots for narrowbody traffic long before a new airside opened.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 pm

^^

Yes the Master Plan includes such expansion of Airside C to add FIS to some of it's gates.

axiom

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Yes the Master Plan includes such expansion of Airside C to add FIS to some of it's gates.

Wonder if the airport will peruse that? Gate C44 is widenody capability (maybe even A380 ready, for diversions?). I'm sure I've seen 747s parked over that way, too.

GVIIO

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:18 am

Through my sources the buzz as of late was a new European flight from a widebody however I never ever thought it could be NX if this is in fact a legitimate possibility. I figured it was Thomas Cook. However I have read they have interest in TPA too, hypothetically if Thomas Cook and Norwegian end flying to TPA this time next year it will take some serious coordination and planning by the airport which so far hasn't done a good job in managing new flights and gate assignments/terminal useage from what ive witnessed in working there. Furthermore I always thought the amount of Intl flights presently is enough to justify an accelerated construction date of the new Airside D, with even one more widebody in the mix let alone two, the airport should really consider it because it will get crowded, and the AA operation at TPA is not friendly or open towards coexisting on the terminal with additional flights on their gates specifically widebodies. not forgetting FI and TS are also coming in within the coming months

axiom

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 am

^I imagine TS will go to Airside E, since that's where the Canadian birds tend to flock.

Frontier indeed adding quite a bit of service at TPA today. I've seen CMH, STL, MSP, MKE, PVD all loaded, without poking around much. Still no COS, which was given a soft announcement a few months ago.

TVNWZ

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:43 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Airside D, which for all intents and purposes will be the new INTL airside is planned to start as Phase 3 in 2020 of the Airport Master Plan. As you mentioned will have 16 INTL capable gates.

I am not convinced that is going to happen.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:48 pm

axiom wrote:
^I imagine TS will go to Airside E, since that's where the Canadian birds tend to flock.

Frontier indeed adding quite a bit of service at TPA today. I've seen CMH, STL, MSP, MKE, PVD all loaded, without poking around much. Still no COS, which was given a soft announcement a few months ago.

F9 so new in latest route announcements far for TPA:

IND
MCI
PVD
CMH
MSP
COS
BUF
ISP
STL
BNA
MKE
CVG going to daily

axiom

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Wow. Almost like having AirTran's TPA focus city back. More or less the same kind of seasonal footprint.

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Will Southwest be announcing new nonstop service from TPA to LAX, OAK, and CVG next week? LAX and the San Francisco Bay Area currently only see nonstop service to TPA on only 1 legacy airline, and Delta is currently the only airline to have daily nonstop service from CVG to TPA (even though Frontier does 1 nonstop flight a day between CVG and TPA 3-4 days a week and even though Allegiant has nonstop service from CVG to PIE).

avi8

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 pm

axiom wrote:
Wow. Almost like having AirTran's TPA focus city back. More or less the same kind of seasonal footprint.

How many daily flights will they have from TPA?

axiom

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 pm

avi8 wrote:
axiom wrote:

How many daily flights will they have from TPA?

With 20 destinations, several less than daily, I would guess they peak around 15 departures.

flymco753

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I was kind of surprised to see F9 didn't add TPA-DTW, MSP will have DL, SY, NK, F9 and WN on TPA, and CMH, IND, and MKE have WN but less travelers. I would at least think 3x daily for TPA-DTW, sometimes they add some straggler routes shortly after they make a mass announcement so maybe it'll happen than.

Other than that I'm surprised how far F9 is going with TPA and making cooperative routes with MCO, the one thing TPA will always struggle with though is bleed into MCO.

axiom

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I was kind of surprised to see F9 didn't add TPA-DTW, MSP will have DL, SY, NK, F9 and WN on TPA, and CMH, IND, and MKE have WN but less travelers. I would at least think 3x daily for TPA-DTW, sometimes they add some straggler routes shortly after they make a mass announcement so maybe it'll happen than.

Other than that I'm surprised how far F9 is going with TPA and making cooperative routes with MCO, the one thing TPA will always struggle with though is bleed into MCO.

I was surprised by the lack of DTW too. I think it's a good candidate for them at some point. Though NK may be protective of this route, and they're known to significantly hike capacity during peak season.

I hope the added competition to this markets stimulates more local demand, slowing some of that MCO bleed. As great as it is to have two major airports in Central Florida, the drive from TPA to MCO leaves much to be desired for many. ;-)

727LOVER

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:33 am

Is Eastern down to 2x a week?

Oh, the days when the old carrier operated 60 flights.

deltadudejg

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 am

Most of the cities F9 announced G4 already flies to across the bay and some WN serve. I think it is a good sign for the Bay Area. From what I have read is some of the tourism to Orlando had slowed down due to increase prices at the parks. I know the City of Clearwater is planning on tearing down some more old hotels/condos on Clearwater Beach and build new big hotels due to the increase in our tourism market. All we need now is a good light rail system around the area.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 am

Just broke down the F9 TPA schedule in terms of weekly and daily depatures. 87 weekly depatures.

BUF=x4 weekly (M/W/F/Sa) A320
CMH=x3 weekly (Su/Tu/Th) A320
IND=x3 weekly (Su/Tu/Th) A320
MCI=x4 weekly (M/W/F/Sa) A320
ISP=DAILY A321
PVD=x3 weekly (Su/Tu/Th) A321
COS=x4 weekly (M/W/F/Sa) A319
MKE=DAILY A320
MSP=x3 weekly (Su/Tu/Th) A320
BNA=x3 weekly (Su/Tu/Th) A320
STL=x4 weekly (M/W/F/Sa) A320
CVG=x4 weekly (M/W/F/Sa) A320
LAS=DAILY A320
DEN=DAILY A320
CLE=DAILY A321
PHL=DAILY A321
TTN=x4 weekly (Su/Tu/Th/F) A320
ORD=DAILY A321

Breaks down to following total daily depatures of:
Sun=13
Mon=12
Tue=13
Wed=12
Thu=12
Fri=13
Sat=12
TOTAL: 87

rajincajun01

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:14 am

deltadudejg wrote:
Most of the cities F9 announced G4 already flies to across the bay and some WN serve. I think it is a good sign for the Bay Area. From what I have read is some of the tourism to Orlando had slowed down due to increase prices at the parks. I know the City of Clearwater is planning on tearing down some more old hotels/condos on Clearwater Beach and build new big hotels due to the increase in our tourism market. All we need now is a good light rail system around the area.

Though a old investigation, my grandfather was part of the research team in the 90s about adding light rail in Tampa. The research turned up that people wanted it, were willing to pay for it, but wouldn't use it. The idea was ultimately abandoned. Tampa has changed a lot since then. Traffic on I-275 is a nightmare.

Clearwater needs to start planning on growing PIE. It has huge potential but is limited in its current layout. I wouldn't be surprised to see TATL service at some point.

UPS Pilot

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 am

GVIIO wrote:
Wow no kidding, the user named UPS pilot really hates Tampa, funny thing is everything about that post was totally incorrect, and what does how good the sports teams have to do with possible growth of the airport?

So were you at the airport in Tampa last Super Bowl? Ever see Greenbay, Pittsburgh, New England teams travel? New York Yankees? You never see a stadium filled with Buccaneers, Rays or Bolts fans do you? You go to those airports on a weekend, they are loaded with fans either flying in to support their team or flying out of an away game to support their teams. Go to Pittsburgh when the Steelers are home. You see Steeler fans flying in from everywhere.

Miami is 4 hours away. How many Latin American carriers serve Miami? How many serve Tampa? I guess you never seen buses running up the turnpike and 75 from Miami to Orlando and Tampa.

If Tampa is so much better than Miami and Orlando then why is Tampa much smaller?

If You feel Tampa is going to out grow Miami and Orlando, then why are they building high speed rail (All aboard Florida) between Miami and Orlando. Not Tampa.

Why does UPS run Multiple flights to MCO, RSW, JAX, PIE and have a hub in MIA. Nothing to Tampa...

Why does Orlando and Miami draw much more international carriers and more flights if Tampa has so much more?

I don't hate Tampa. Just pointing out what I've seen. Just pointing out what other airlines have seen. You have Orlando an hour and 15 minute drive with more directs and more options. Much more room for growth in Orlando.

UPS Pilot

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:35 am

airtrantpa wrote:
UPS Pilot wrote:
Tampa is always going to be mid level airport. The city does not have the demand as Orlando and Miami. There is not much business' headquartered there. The sports teams are not very good so they don't draw out of town travelers to see games. The only amusement park is Busch Gardens which is right in the ghetto. The only thing that Tampa has going for it is it's the largest airport on the West Coast of Florida beaches. With is being an hour drive from Orlando, it will never have the presence that MCO or Miami has.

Our sports teams are very good thank you very much. If it wasn't for the theme parks Orlando would just be another city in the middle of nowhere florida

Oh I'm sorry. You are right. Buccaneers won ONE Super Bowl 15 years ago. Struggled since with multiple coaches and players. Failed to make the playoffs last season.

Lightning won ONE Stanley Cup 13 years ago. Revolving door of coaches and failed to make the playoffs this past season.

Rays, your coach bailed to win a World Series with the Cubs. Haven't made the playoffs since he left.

Yes they are very good...

Why didn't Walt Disney pick Tampa instead of Orlando?

axiom

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:29 am

727LOVER wrote:
Is Eastern down to 2x a week?

Oh, the days when the old carrier operated 60 flights.

Eastern flies to Havana twice weekly, Holguin once a week, and Santa Clara once a week.

GVIIO

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 pm

How does the success of a sports team have anything to do with expanding service to the airport? People don't look at how good the Bucs are in deciding whether or whether not to visit Tampa.
Who cares where UPS flies around Florida, why does that matter here?
What does the amount of Latin carriers Miami has have anything to do with this?
Your points are invalid and downright absurd for this thread UPS pilot, spare us your stupidity and stick on the other side of the bay to PIE then.
And also nobody said TPA draws more international carriers than MCO or MIA!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos