Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

graham697

Re: What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
GVIIO wrote:
Wow no kidding, the user named UPS pilot really hates Tampa, funny thing is everything about that post was totally incorrect, and what does how good the sports teams have to do with possible growth of the airport?

So were you at the airport in Tampa last Super Bowl? Ever see Greenbay, Pittsburgh, New England teams travel? New York Yankees? You never see a stadium filled with Buccaneers, Rays or Bolts fans do you? You go to those airports on a weekend, they are loaded with fans either flying in to support their team or flying out of an away game to support their teams. Go to Pittsburgh when the Steelers are home. You see Steeler fans flying in from everywhere.

Miami is 4 hours away. How many Latin American carriers serve Miami? How many serve Tampa? I guess you never seen buses running up the turnpike and 75 from Miami to Orlando and Tampa.

If Tampa is so much better than Miami and Orlando then why is Tampa much smaller?

If You feel Tampa is going to out grow Miami and Orlando, then why are they building high speed rail (All aboard Florida) between Miami and Orlando. Not Tampa.

Why does UPS run Multiple flights to MCO, RSW, JAX, PIE and have a hub in MIA. Nothing to Tampa...

Why does Orlando and Miami draw much more international carriers and more flights if Tampa has so much more?

I don't hate Tampa. Just pointing out what I've seen. Just pointing out what other airlines have seen. You have Orlando an hour and 15 minute drive with more directs and more options. Much more room for growth in Orlando.

No one said every Latin American carrier is going to move into Tampa to supplant MCO/MIA. This is all about what Tampa could support, no one is forcing you to participate.

The City of Tampa is smaller, but in metro area size Tampa Bay is larger than Orlando.

All Aboard Florida/Brightline ("AAF") is largely using existing Florida East Coast Railway right of way. Much cheaper and easier to upgrade existing infrastructure especially when you have close ties to the company that owns it. If it is successful, I think you will see Tampa added to the route like the original FL HSR plan in the early 2000s.

UPS has a good deal to operate in PIE and that covers the Tampa Bay area for them. I don't know why they would operate out of both airports although with Amazon building more warehouses in central/south Hillsborough County it may make sense to rethink that as UPS tries to vie for Amazon's business.

No one here counters that MCO has more room to physically grow and the Mouse to inflate tourist numbers, but it isn't like TPA lost a huge chunk of existing international or even domestic service (like PIT, STL, CVG, or even PIE when ATA went belly up).

Does TPA follow the national trends more than MCO/MIA? Sure. For instance it lost point-to-point flying much faster than MCO when the industry shifted back to a hub-centric model. That said, MCO also lost the mini-hubs it used to have. On the international side, Tampa has been able to lure international carriers over the past few years and so far has been successful - more successful than I think most airlines would have ever thought. Will TPA ever be a MCO/MIA? Not likely and I don't think that is the goal of this thread.

Also, I've never met anyone who really enjoys flying through MCO even locals. TSA is a nightmare with the plethora of families and crying children. So Tampa will always have them beat on that. :)

FLYKTPA

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:42 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Also have heard both Norwegian and Thomas Cook will be announced, heard it on a local fourm and have heard from another source as well.

A TPA Ops employee recently posted a photo on his personal Instagram (Username: undertow) of a Thomas Cook diversion that happened a month'ish ago and used a hashtag saying "comingsoontotpa".

Have you heard anything about what routes Norwegian might announce from TPA? I heard they might add a Paris flight.

Have heard Rome and Paris

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear the Rome rumor from? An airport employee?

GVIIO

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Its reported that airport ops leaked this and that there was an article about a further Norwegian expansion naming TPA but I couldn't find it

FLYKTPA

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm

GVIIO wrote:
Its reported that airport ops leaked this and that there was an article about a further Norwegian expansion naming TPA but I couldn't find it

I constantly search the internet for articles and news about TPA, but have never come across an article where Norwegian mentions TPA. I know what I'm going to spend the rest of the day doing...

readytotaxi

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Also, I've never met anyone who really enjoys flying through MCO even locals. TSA is a nightmare with the plethora of families and crying children. So Tampa will always have them beat on that. :)[/quote]

On several occations I have flown into TPA and driven back to Orlando down I4 in under 2 hrs by choice, at weekends clearing MCO is hellish, and the drive is not that bad.

GVIIO

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Likewise I haven't found, anything about DY. Thomas Cook ive heard rumors about through people at the airport in addition to Thomas Cook announcing SAN, MSY, TPA as desired routes

flymco753

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:47 pm

I see WN added a weekend TPA-DTW flight, I don't think WN has ever done DTW, only FL from my knowledge.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
GVIIO wrote:
Wow no kidding, the user named UPS pilot really hates Tampa, funny thing is everything about that post was totally incorrect, and what does how good the sports teams have to do with possible growth of the airport?

Why does UPS run Multiple flights to MCO, RSW, JAX, PIE and have a hub in MIA. Nothing to Tampa...

I don't know what UPS not serving TPA has anything to do with future routes to TPA, but per the latest board meeting and agenda, looks like UPS has agreed to lease and start TPA, starting potentially 10/1.

See Page 14 of link to read full agenda and cost breakdown.

http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... eeting.pdf

readytotaxi

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I have a friend in Germany who works for a big travel agency which deals mainly with large Int companies. This friend understands that from March 2018 LH might be switching to a A346 offering First Class service, nothing firm as yet.

TVNWZ

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:
UPS Pilot wrote:
Tampa is always going to be mid level airport. The city does not have the demand as Orlando and Miami. There is not much business' headquartered there. The sports teams are not very good so they don't draw out of town travelers to see games. The only amusement park is Busch Gardens which is right in the ghetto. The only thing that Tampa has going for it is it's the largest airport on the West Coast of Florida beaches. With is being an hour drive from Orlando, it will never have the presence that MCO or Miami has.

Our sports teams are very good thank you very much. If it wasn't for the theme parks Orlando would just be another city in the middle of nowhere florida

Oh I'm sorry. You are right. Buccaneers won ONE Super Bowl 15 years ago. Struggled since with multiple coaches and players. Failed to make the playoffs last season.

Lightning won ONE Stanley Cup 13 years ago. Revolving door of coaches and failed to make the playoffs this past season.

Rays, your coach bailed to win a World Series with the Cubs. Haven't made the playoffs since he left.

Yes they are very good...

Why didn't Walt Disney pick Tampa instead of Orlando?

Forbes Magazine has released its annual list of the nation's 25 fastest-growing cities, and the Tampa Bay area and Florida dominate the top spots on the list.

Tampa-St-Petersburg-Clearwater came in no. 8 on the list, with a 2016 population growth rate of 1.65 percent, 3.03 percent job growth rate and 2.83 percent GMP growth rate.

Local wages grew 6.42 percent in 2016, and home prices grew 7.10 percent.

The magazine predicts continued growth in all categories this year, with a projected wage growth of 7.6 percent leading the way.

Other Florida areas on the list include:

1. Cape Coral-Fort Myers

2. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford

4. Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond Beach

5. Jacksonville

6. North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton

12. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach

15. Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville

18. Lakeland-Winter Haven

Disney picked Reedy Creek because swamp land was very cheap in the middle of nowhere at the time.

deltadudejg

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:38 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
UPS Pilot wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

I don't know what UPS not serving TPA has anything to do with future routes to TPA, but per the latest board meeting and agenda, looks like UPS has agreed to lease and start TPA, starting potentially 10/1.

See Page 14 of link to read full agenda and cost breakdown.

http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... eeting.pdf

I knew about this internally here at PIE. Just wanted to wait for someone else to find something. UPS does alot of Amazon Prime packages during the winter holidays. Only makes sense for the switch.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 pm

^^
Is it a full transfer of Operations or will they be splitting stations?

I always have wondered why UPS hasn't flown out of TPA, especially with the new Amazon facilities built on the East and South East side of Tampa Bay. TPA recently voted to have incentives be applied to Cargo airlines, I would bet by savings that played a role into this.

Either way, solid news for TPA, who is already expanding the Cargo footprint and expanding the Amazon area of the airport as well.

axiom

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:11 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I see WN added a weekend TPA-DTW flight, I don't think WN has ever done DTW, only FL from my knowledge.

Nope, it's a first for WN.

The TPA-OMA flight is too. G4 serves PIE-OMA but this is the first TPA service since F9 ran it years ago.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 pm

It looks like UPS is going to use the North Cargo pad and warehouse area, which is interesting given that a while ago they moved all Cargo Ops out of that area for the area near PEMCO.
http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... %20UPS.pdf

deltadudejg

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:48 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^
Is it a full transfer of Operations or will they be splitting stations?

I always have wondered why UPS hasn't flown out of TPA, especially with the new Amazon facilities built on the East and South East side of Tampa Bay. TPA recently voted to have incentives be applied to Cargo airlines, I would bet by savings that played a role into this.

Either way, solid news for TPA, who is already expanding the Cargo footprint and expanding the Amazon area of the airport as well.

Full transfer

FLYKTPA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:47 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I have a friend in Germany who works for a big travel agency which deals mainly with large Int companies. This friend understands that from March 2018 LH might be switching to a A346 offering First Class service, nothing firm as yet.

Have you heard anything about the flight going daily along with a the aircraft/product switch? The flight is currently 5x weekly.

GVIIO

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Don't see how UPS can use the old cargo facility by October as it is not even connected to the taxiways and the stands and suites within the facility are all in a disastrous state at the moment.

GVIIO

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:41 pm

I have heard through working on the flight that going daily is a sure thing but I haven't heard anything about an aircraft change yet.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:55 pm

GVIIO wrote:
Don't see how UPS can use the old cargo facility by October as it is not even connected to the taxiways and the stands and suites within the facility are all in a disastrous state at the moment.

I as well was confused by that, I haven't seen anything on taxiway construction either. Will be interesting to see how this is done.

GVIIO

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:08 pm

In working there and going to that facility daily for container storage I see contractors and surveyers there almost daily so perhaps this is legitimate.

GVIIO

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:09 pm

Additionally PIE receives the 757 and A300 I wonder if that would be the same aircraft to TPA

readytotaxi

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:32 pm

GVIIO wrote:
I have heard through working on the flight that going daily is a sure thing but I haven't heard anything about an aircraft change yet.

If they go to the A346 it gives them great flexability.
A343 offers J18 PE19 Y261
A346 offers F8 J44 PE32 Y213

nrg601

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Maybe a flight to Eastern Europe seeing that the Tampa Bay area has a large Polish, Ukrainian, Russian and Greek community.

phatfarmlines

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:52 pm

nrg601 wrote:
Maybe a flight to Eastern Europe seeing that the Tampa Bay area has a large Polish, Ukrainian, Russian and Greek community.

Huh? Other than Tarpon Spring's token presence of Greeks, which of itself does not warrant service to ATH, TPA does not have a large Eastern European population.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:07 pm

Only way I could see TPA getting East of Italy/Mainland EU is either via Norwegian setting up a ATH base. But as stated, besides the local and rather small Tarpon Springs Greek population, the Tampa Bay to Eastern Europe O&D is rather small.

deltadudejg

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:41 pm

OS would be the only carrier out of Eastern Europe that I could see if there was any glimmer of hope for Eastern Europe. Only reason why is due to their ownership by LH and WK being the family. So they could codeshare flights, and VIE has a healthy amount of connections to other cities on OS.

GVIIO

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:59 am

Ironically now heard today that the LH flight would likely become a daily A346 or 744 to compensate Edelweiss reduction and possible exit from TPA

FLYKTPA

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:09 am

GVIIO wrote:
Ironically now heard today that the LH flight would likely become a daily A346 or 744 to compensate Edelweiss reduction and possible exit from TPA

I really hope Edelweiss doesn't leave. A little over a year ago they were saying how happy with the TPA market they were.

GVIIO

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:48 pm

I haven't heard anything for sure but people here are speculating that if LH upgrades the aircraft and goes daily there would be no point of WK sticking around, they are going to 1x weekly for awhile when they relaunch MCO. Will say that the flights haven't been going out full nor with much cargo, while on the other side LH is the best performing international carrier at TPA with full flights in and out every day and full of cargo also so an aircraft upgrade is inevitable.

FlyerTalkUserNa

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:49 pm

GVIIO wrote:

Really intrigued by the idea of them offering F on the route. I had convinced myself it would be a 744 since it appears to be the only plane offering more J seats than the 343 without significant cuts to the Y cabin.

nrg601

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:28 pm

I could see a flight to BOG or MEX seeing that the Tampa Bay area has a sizeable Mexican and Colombian community

GVIIO

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:20 pm

You and me both, just not sure when it will happen ive been saying this for years now.

727LOVER

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm

When's the last time TPA had a MEX route?

I'm thinking it was the early 80s with Eastern...and before that, with Pan Am in the 70s/

airtrantpa

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:33 am

axiom wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I was the gate agent for inaugural FL flight (tpaDtw) back in 2007. Had a whopping 7 pax on board. To celebrate (weights and balance issue) put all the pax up in business. Even got a go to push 10 early off the gate.

flymco753

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
axiom wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I was the gate agent for inaugural FL flight (tpaDtw) back in 2007. Had a whopping 7 pax on board. To celebrate (weights and balance issue) put all the pax up in business. Even got a go to push 10 early off the gate.
I hope this flight does better, it'll be another way for me to get up to MI to see family, sometimes MCO is impossible so I use TPA as the next option.

GVIIO

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:09 pm

I guess the anti TPA activist known as UPS pilot looks pretty damn stupid now with UPS coming to TPA in October Haha!

FlyerTalkUserNa

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:18 pm

GVIIO wrote:
I guess the anti TPA activist known as UPS pilot looks pretty damn stupid now with UPS coming to TPA in October Haha!

Haha, I had forgotten about that.

Just saw on twitter that International passenger traffic was up 7.2% year over year in May and 12.5% year over year in June!

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Biggest thing I got from it, is LH seeing 90% LF's:

"International traffic was up 7.2% in May at @FlyTPA and 12.5% in June. @lufthansa had 90%+ load factors for the month. @TB_Times"

https://twitter.com/SunBizGriffin/statu ... 5966751745

FlyerTalkUserNa

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:47 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Biggest thing I got from it, is LH seeing 90% LF's:

"International traffic was up 7.2% in May at @FlyTPA and 12.5% in June. @lufthansa had 90%+ load factors for the month. @TB_Times"

https://twitter.com/SunBizGriffin/statu ... 5966751745

Nice. Didn't see that tweet. Gotta think that points to the B744 if there's a switch to mainline?

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:03 pm

I would prefer frequency increase over a capacity increase, either one at this point perhaps both seems to sound more or less when, not if.

FlyerTalkUserNa

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
I would prefer frequency increase over a capacity increase, either one at this point perhaps both seems to sound more or less when, not if.

Oh right, I forgot it's only 5X weekly, correct? Bump to daily could certainly open a lot more options.

GVIIO

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Again from whats been discussed from the LH higher ups at TPA at work is a capacity and frequency increase, some also indiciated to the possibility of when WK cuts TPA to 1x weekly in winter that LH would add the additional flight that week to 6x weekly to compensate, Again like I reiterated the LH pax and cargo loads are very impressive lately

GVIIO

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Also noticed additional contactors and vehicles around the old North Cargo building the last few days must be a sign of imminent construction and or refurbishing of that facility for UPS.
Further more I don't know if anyone has noticed the abandoned industrial plaza across Hillsborough ave from the threshold of runway 19R adjacent to the pin chasers bowling alley but it seems its being gutted and updated by constructuion crews now now possibly for UPS? It would make sense to be right across the street from the new cargo ramp.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 pm

^^

I saw that driving home from my parents house up in Lutz the other day. At first thought maybe Amazon could do a warehouse there, but looking on Google Maps, maybe to small for them, site wise. Could be UPS...where do they do their PIE work currently?

GVIIO

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:17 am

As far as I know they have a big facility off US19 in Pinellas Park which someone told me they handle their air freight well offsite the airport so I am guessing that is it. My thinking is they would love to have facilities so close together similar to FedEx big facility on the ramp.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:57 am

3M to test the ELH market. Doing two total flights, begins 9/28.

3M041 TPA0925 – 1130ELH SF3 28SEP17
3M041 TPA1000 – 1205ELH SF3 28SEP17

3M041 ELH1600 – 1805TPA SF3 01OCT17
3M040 ELH1655 – 1900TPA SF3 01OCT17

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... poct-2017/

727LOVER

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:47 am

GVIIO wrote:
the abandoned industrial plaza across Hillsborough ave from the threshold of runway 19R adjacent to the pin chasers bowling alley but it seems its being gutted and updated by constructuion crews now now possibly for UPS? It would make sense to be right across the street from the new cargo ramp.

You talking about here...where I get my afternoon 19R approaches?
NOOOO!!!!

GVIIO

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:52 am

Yep that classic spot its closed off now for construction work, sad was the only real spot for 19r afternoon shots.Amazing to see how much progress this airport has made in the last decade compared to 2000s in terms of expansion of flights, facilities, airlines, shops etc

GVIIO

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:53 am

On a side note anyone remember 10 or so years ago the plan to build a fourth runway on the westside wetlands of the airport 17-35 I suppose that's been off for awhile. Why not extend runway 1R/19L for once

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:24 am

Its really good that Delta will be back on TPA-SLC

I think TPA has alot of room for the ULCCs. The ULCC to Europe seem like a good option.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos