727LOVER

Re: What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 am

GVIIO wrote:
On a side note anyone remember 10 or so years ago the plan to build a fourth runway on the westside wetlands of the airport 17-35 I suppose that's been off for awhile. Why not extend runway 1R/19L for once

Yep, I remember...stupid idea.

Then again...I can remember this place in the mid/late 70s.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

KTPAFlyer

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:15 am

727LOVER wrote:
GVIIO wrote:
On a side note anyone remember 10 or so years ago the plan to build a fourth runway on the westside wetlands of the airport 17-35 I suppose that's been off for awhile. Why not extend runway 1R/19L for once

Yep, I remember...stupid idea.

Then again...I can remember this place in the mid/late 70s.

I remember this one as well. That's the dilemma most airports have these days, wait for demand to increase or expand capacity before its too late.

deltadudejg

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:36 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

I saw that driving home from my parents house up in Lutz the other day. At first thought maybe Amazon could do a warehouse there, but looking on Google Maps, maybe to small for them, site wise. Could be UPS...where do they do their PIE work currently?

It's all done off-site. There is minimal sorting done on the airport, it's all trucked in.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

UPS Pilot

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Flights start 10/16/2017 for UPS in TPA. Did not make the switch because UPS wanted to. Allegiant needed more space so PIE gave it to them.

In regards to Amazon UPS volume is primarily trucked to MCO.

UPS Pilot

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:15 pm

GVIIO wrote:
I guess the anti TPA activist known as UPS pilot looks pretty damn stupid now with UPS coming to TPA in October Haha!

Ha ha ha go back to playing flight sim kid. The only reason why is because Allegiant needed more space PIE gave it to them.

As far as different, equipment a 76 during peak. May get bumped to MD1 with 748's arriving to service larger markets.

GVIIO

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:13 pm

So what is exactly your personal problem with TPA? Has TPA done something to you because for you to make nonsensical points and have no life at all to try and be as pathetic as an airliners.net troll is about why UPS doesn't fly there to try and put it down( because UPS doesn't fly to TPA means its a tiny insignificant airport) means surely your feelings got hurt at some point over it.

yyztpa

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm

I love TPA and as a Bay Area resident, use it almost weekly. Sometimes I need to get to MIA or FLL or MCO to make the flights I need to make. As an example, I will be flying DY for a FLL-LGW-MCO later this year (a lot cheaper than BA!!)
Let's review what was said which may have irked some on this forum.

UPS Pilot wrote:
Tampa is always going to be mid level airport.

No arguing TPA is classified a mid sized airport

UPS Pilot wrote:
The city does not have the demand as Orlando and Miami.

Both MCO and have a much higher demand, plus there is FLL. MCO does have Disney with Port Canaveral cruise business; MIA (and FLL) have the cruise business and other leisure plus it is a more significant business destination.

UPS Pilot wrote:
There is not much business' headquartered there.

Likely more than Orlando but less than Greater Miami.

UPS Pilot wrote:
The sports teams are not very good so they don't draw out of town travelers to see games.

Team quality comes and goes though generally they do well. Rays are doing good presently though they could use a new stadium with a more advantageous location for Bay Area residents; Lightning had a down year though had been listed preseason as a likely contender for the Cup; Bucs are expected to be contending this year. All teams draw well for out of town visitors (as does basketball in Orlando) and teams in Miami.

UPS Pilot wrote:
The only amusement park is Busch Gardens which is right in the ghetto.

Good park; not great neighborhood. This limits the ability to build more attractions, accommodations and night life centered on what is already here. With these type of add-ons come conventions and business meetings/junkets.

UPS Pilot wrote:
The only thing that Tampa has going for it is it's the largest airport on the West Coast of Florida beaches. With it being an hour drive from Orlando, it will never have the presence that MCO or Miami has.

Those looking to do a 'parks and beaches' vacation might find MCO preferable, especially with Disney trying to lock in with all inclusive to their properties.a reverse with 'beaches and park' could work if it could be packaged. The beachfront properties are going through a rejuvenation. Combined with an improved business climate in the Bay Area this will drive growth into TPA and through PIE for Allegiant.

UPS Pilot

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 pm

GVIIO wrote:
So what is exactly your personal problem with TPA? Has TPA done something to you because for you to make nonsensical points and have no life at all to try and be as pathetic as an airliners.net troll is about why UPS doesn't fly there to try and put it down( because UPS doesn't fly to TPA means its a tiny insignificant airport) means surely your feelings got hurt at some point over it.

I live in Tampa. I have for 20 years. People like yourself Alex "GVIIO" are the reason why I dislike the area. Your comment about me being a troll is hilarious. I've been on this site for 18 years son. As far as the airport goes, I fly out of it multiple times per month. While its not a dump like Newark and some others, it will always be a smaller airport compared to Miami or Orlando. When you get done working at the bank, go home, relax and play with your flight sim. No need to name call.

GVIIO

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:37 am

I am not Alex or whoever you are referring to, no question it is a smaller airport than Miami or Orlando but your comments to make your point about it being smaller were unnecessary and downright rude, you can just state the obvious about it being a smaller airport without trying to be the big man about it, perhaps your a bit insecure and are looking for attention

rajincajun01

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:41 am

All of you guys need to grow up and get back on topic. Topic is what routes are next for TPA in case you forgot...

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:53 am

A little game: Who adds what first?

AS: PDX
DL: SEA

deltadudejg

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
A little game: Who adds what first?

AS: PDX
DL: SEA

My money would be DL over AS, but I would love AS first.

I'm curious now what 3M will do in Tampa with these new ATRs coming. First ones were slated to arrive during the last quarter of this year.

holeham

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:31 am

Much as I'm a fan of DL, I'd rather have the new route then a second airline on an existing route. My guess is AS and PDX.

As for all of the consternation on whether TPA is a smaller airport or not, being the fourth biggest airport by flights and passengers in the state of Florida is nothing to sneeze at.

rajincajun01

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:42 am

I'll take answer C: AS adds second SEA before DL adds first.

deltadudejg

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
I'll take answer C: AS adds second SEA before DL adds first.

I agree with you on that! With the amount of flights AS runs between SEA-PDX there would be no need for the PDX flight.

KTPAFlyer

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 am

I'll pick option D, AS and SJC. They seem to be in growth mode right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see TPA-SJC pop up. That said, MCO has SEA, SAN, and PDX... Either of the latter two could come up first. As far as who's first, it's anybody's guess. Delta to SEA is a matter of time. But let's be real, AS bread and butter is west coast, for Delta, it's just icing on the cake, just look how long it took SLC!

deltadudejg

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 am

It's a shame TPA may never see VX. When they first started there was the intention of them flying here. Would have loved to see TPA-SFO or LAX on VX.

phatfarmlines

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 am

deltadudejg wrote:

I'm curious now what 3M will do in Tampa with these new ATRs coming. First ones were slated to arrive during the last quarter of this year.

They're going to need to figure out their gate situation in TPA. I'm willing to bet Gate A1 won't be able to accommodate no more than two ATRs without double-parking.

On another note, do we know if 3M will be getting the front-door version of the ATRs? That will allow them to use jetways without any major configurations.

UPS Pilot

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
All of you guys need to grow up and get back on topic. Topic is what routes are next for TPA in case you forgot...

Supposedly UPS starting 10/16/2017

SDF-TPA 2 flights with A306 and 752

TPA-MCO A306

MCO-TPA A306

TPA-SDF 752
Last edited by UPS Pilot on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

UPS Pilot

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:35 am

GVIIO wrote:
I am not Alex or whoever you are referring to, no question it is a smaller airport than Miami or Orlando but your comments to make your point about it being smaller were unnecessary and downright rude, you can just state the obvious about it being a smaller airport without trying to be the big man about it, perhaps your a bit insecure and are looking for attention

Move on already Alex...

FLYKTPA

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm

With PDX begin the last unserved targeted domestic destination, I see AS adding that market next. I can imagine TPA is pushing AS really hard to add the service. DL adding SEA will probably eventually happen too, but I imagine DL wants to see how SLC performs before adding more west cost capacity from TPA.

graham697

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:20 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

Move on already Alex...

My name's Alex, but can't for the life of me think of who you are. Anyways, let's all just drop it.
Looking forward to the new AA

yyztpa

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Regarding BA, would BNA have more demand than TPA for the front end? I understand BNA is from LHR. With all the flights from LGW to MCO, could a case be made that TPA be served from LHR for Central FL and thus provide better connection options through LHR for business travel?
Last edited by yyztpa on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FLYKTPA

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:14 pm

yyztpa wrote:
Regarding BA, would BNA have more demand than TPA for the front end? I understand BNA is from LHR. With all the flights from LGW to MCO, could a case be made that TPA be served from LHR for Central FL and thus provide better connection options through LHR for business travel?

Rudy

I feel like BA serves AUS, MSY and BNA from LHR because they need the connections that LHR offers in order to fill the aircraft. Where as TPA has enough O&D to London to fill an aircraft with various connecting options.

yyztpa

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
yyztpa wrote:

I feel like BA serves AUS, MSY and BNA from LHR because they need the connections that LHR offers in order to fill the aircraft. Where as TPA has enough O&D to London to fill an aircraft with various connecting options.

True, but that means they forego the extra opportunities for Europe connections which LH seems to be successful at attracting through FRA.

n92r03

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Re the fourth runway plan...When you drive along the Veteran's around the south side of the airport, you can see in the median, the concrete bases for the landing lights (I'll assume ILS, but not sure if that is accurate) for a future runway. They are the same bases that hold up the current lighting structure, just look a bit to the west of the current runway. Not sure if my thought here is even remotely accurate but I can't think of why these would have been added to the road design. Maybe someone has more info with regard to the master plan.

Re that complex north of Hillsborough Ave, I thought it was being razed, but noticed last week it is a renovation as res are replacing the roofs from the inside out. It looks like a total reno. Wonder what will be going in there.

Lived in the area most of my 48 years, seen a lot of change at TPA over the years. Great airport. No more DL L-10's and AC 742's though but great memories.

FLYKTPA

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 pm

yyztpa wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
yyztpa wrote:

True, but that means they forego the extra opportunities for Europe connections which LH seems to be successful at attracting through FRA.

I agree 100%. A BA LHR flight would undoubtedly do very well for TPA. The only problem is that BA seems to be content with just serving LGW from TPA.

flymco753

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
yyztpa wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

I agree 100%. A BA LHR flight would undoubtedly do very well for TPA. The only problem is that BA seems to be content with just serving LGW from TPA.
I don't think BA would do LHR out of TPA until MCO gets LHR, that's almost the sad reality because the market for a nonstop from MCO-LHR is so much larger and airlines could make a bigger profit, but I wouldn't rule TPA-LHR out for the future.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

yyztpa

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm

flymco753 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
yyztpa wrote:

I don't think BA would do LHR out of TPA until MCO gets LHR, that's almost the sad reality because the market for a nonstop from MCO-LHR is so much larger and airlines could make a bigger profit, but I wouldn't rule TPA-LHR out for the future.

And Nashville is smaller than both. No doubt that the MCO market is much larger than the TPA market but it might also be expected that the flights focus on London origination with load in the backend. The rationale for a LHR flight would be for the premium or business traveller and how well they can draw from both ends for these products. You could wonder how much of this traffic is lost through OneWorld hubs such as CLT or PHL to avoid the large family atmosphere and which market has a greater need for this type of demand.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:23 pm

When did UPS start PIE-MCO....just noticed that recently.

holeham wrote:
As for all of the consternation on whether TPA is a smaller airport or not, being the fourth biggest airport by flights and passengers in the state of Florida is nothing to sneeze at.

Well, considering it used to be 2nd...LOL
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:30 pm

n92r03 wrote:
Lived in the area most of my 48 years, seen a lot of change at TPA over the years. Great airport. No more DL L-10's and AC 742's though but great memories.

Not to mention, NA747 NW747 UADC-10 NW DC-10, AC L-1011,NA DC-10

Here's Air Canada 747 crossing over the entrance

UPS Pilot

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:19 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Right after peak end of Jan beginning of Feb.

Was a 76 coming from MIA during peak. Before that I think it came in from SJU on the Bus

deltadudejg

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:15 am

UPS Pilot wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Right after peak end of Jan beginning of Feb.

Was a 76 coming from MIA during peak. Before that I think it came in from SJU on the Bus

It was the Thursday afternoon Bus from SJU if memory serves me correct.

deltadudejg

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 am

Well here is a proposition for the LHR/LGW. What if say BA is a daily flight during peak season. 2 days of the week the aircraft flies to LHR and the remaining 5 to LGW. That or stir that pot and get VS sending some metal from LHR.

FlyerTalkUserNa

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:33 am

Pretty jealous BNA is getting a 788 to LHR. That route is being operated with subsidies, correct? Does LGW-TPA run with subsidies? Hard to argue against a larger plane (772) from LGW that operates without subsidies, but LHR on a newer 3-class 772 with all of the connections it opens would be nice.

FLYKTPA

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 am

LGW-TPA has no subsidies and has been in operation for close to two decades if not longer. While TPA lacks LHR's connectivity, our service is daily versus BNA which is 5x weekly.

GVIIO

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm sorry to say it but the way things are going right now TPA will never see a LHR flight.

axiom

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 pm

I don't see what there is to lament about LGW service. Frankly, Gatwick is far less of a nightmare to navigate. The vast majority of butts in the seat on this route are London originating leisure passengers, and Gatwick serves a very wealthy part of England. Folks need to understand the demographics underpinning services -- and in this case the Gatwick area is where the market is. It's a popular O&D route, and has been for decades. LHR may offer more "prestige" and more 1-stop connectivity, but TPA has "fixed" that problem by having up to 8X weekly LH/WK service.

What we're missing is a MAN connection, to capture the North of England. Gatwick is largely impractical for anyone north of London, which represents a large underserved market.

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:07 pm

As Aeromexico keeps connecting more cites to MEX I think that a TPA-MEX flight will happen in the next 2 to 3 years. Avianca recently stated that they were looking at adding multiple new US destinations. TPA has been working on a BOG route since 2012 and because Copa has been performing well this year, I could see Avianca adding a BOG-TPA. MEX-TPA and BOG- TPA most likely won't be more then 4x weekly if announced.

GVIIO

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 pm

I feel like either Aeromexico or Avianca has been long overdue, still hearing things about Thomas Cook and Norwegian for flights to MAN and or CDG, and the airport still says their strongly pursuing a AMS flight but again I don't see any carrier that would be willing to operate that.

holeham

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Well that's disappointing. It looks like Delta's much anticipated TPA-SLC nonstop takes a hiatus for almost the entire month of January and half of February, per Enilria's update on schedule changes post from this morning. I wonder what's up with that?

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:23 pm

holeham wrote:
Well that's disappointing. It looks like Delta's much anticipated TPA-SLC nonstop takes a hiatus for almost the entire month of January and half of February, per Enilria's update on schedule changes post from this morning. I wonder what's up with that?

The SLC hiatus is strange. I've noticed that DL has been pricing the flights anywhere from $500 to $700 and even higher, all while MCO has 3x daily flights to SLC and your can get a round trip ticket for a little over $400. DL certainly is not pricing the flight for success.

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:29 pm

GVIIO wrote:
I feel like either Aeromexico or Avianca has been long overdue, still hearing things about Thomas Cook and Norwegian for flights to MAN and or CDG, and the airport still says their strongly pursuing a AMS flight but again I don't see any carrier that would be willing to operate that.

If DL's new AMS-MCO performs well(it probably will) I could see either DL or KLM add AMS-TPA 3 or 4x per week. A Norwegian executive said back on July 6th that they would announce new US routes in a few weeks. Its now been well over a month since that was said. A Norwegian announcement this week wouldn't surprise me.

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:44 pm

According to a friend from TPA, the airport has had meetings with over 25 airlines and are trying to add at least one or two new airlines a year. Then again, every US airport is likely doing and hoping for the same.

deltadudejg

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:46 pm

AeroMexico to TPA and Interjet to PIE.

Flyingstump

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:22 pm

deltadudejg wrote:

I've wanted Interjet to come to TPA over AeroMexico on the slight chance of seeing SSJ100s in Tampa. Regardless, either of those carriers to TPA or PIE would be welcomed. However, given TPA's incentive program and low cost, I think PIE will have a hard time finding any new air carrier to start service at PIE over TPA, much less international service. Hopefully I'm wrong, but before we can even start talking about competition on a route, it needs to be launched first!

If only Delta relaunched Tampa as a focus city and had its partners (Aeromexico, KLM, Air France) decide to join in...one can dream

aemoreira1981

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Would Norwegian consider TPA-LGW, 2 or 3 times weekly? Nearby MCO is served 3 times weekly from Gatwick on days 2, 4, and 6.

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:31 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Would Norwegian consider TPA-LGW, 2 or 3 times weekly? Nearby MCO is served 3 times weekly from Gatwick on days 2, 4, and 6.

Norwegian is rumored to be announcing service to Tampa soon and TPA has been pushing for more service to London so I don't see why not.

deltadudejg

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:10 am

Flyingstump wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

I've wanted Interjet to come to TPA over AeroMexico on the slight chance of seeing SSJ100s in Tampa. Regardless, either of those carriers to TPA or PIE would be welcomed. However, given TPA's incentive program and low cost, I think PIE will have a hard time finding any new air carrier to start service at PIE over TPA, much less international service. Hopefully I'm wrong, but before we can even start talking about competition on a route, it needs to be launched first!

If only Delta relaunched Tampa as a focus city and had its partners (Aeromexico, KLM, Air France) decide to join in...one can dream

Absolutely! I figured Interjet to PIE by looking at the Orlando airports. AeroMexico services MCO, and Interjet to SFB. I know PIE has expressed some interest in Mexico.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/04/ ... -tourists/

I told my management if that day ever comes I would love to see the SSJ and now the A320 NEOs as well

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:23 am

The SLC/DL January thing is a bit interesting, not sure what's going on there.

I think AM or Interjet is only a matter of time as is a couple of other routes, many noted here already.

Would love to get some 787's into TPA or the SSJ. If not Norwegian, airlines line Thomson, Neos, TUI Group, etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos