Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 10/16 - Summertime and the flying is easy ...

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:48 am

Better, faster, stronger: Emirates adds to last year’s team by entering 31 runners to compete against returning 2014 champions Aer Lingus in the Budapest Airport-anna.aero Runway Run, sponsored by Airbus and Qatar Airways. Registration must close 19 August.

http://www.anna.aero/2016/08/10/emirate ... unway-run/

----

Dublin Airport’s new runway may be started next June
DAA formally seeks bids for the €320m project and hopes to award contract by April

Work is likely to begin on Dublin Airport’s new runway by the end of next June after its owner, DAA, formally sought bids for the €320 million project on Monday.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.2749147

OA260

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:00 am

Cityjet pilots reject pay offer and threaten action
Unite union prepares for work-to-rule in dispute over pay and conditions
Cityjet could be facing a dispute over pay and representation rights with Irish crews after they rejected an offer from the airline.

The news comes as it emerged that pilots working for the carrier at its London City Airport base are preparing for industrial action later this month.

Irish Cityjet cabin crew and pilots, represented by trade union Unite, recently rejected a pay offer from the airline .

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.2753961

shamrock350

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:19 pm

United Airlines: Rescue deal agreed to save Belfast to New York service

A rescue deal has been agreed to prevent US airline United ending its daily service between Belfast and New York.

Financial assistance, believed to be in the region of £9m over three years, will be provided.

Most of the money is coming from Stormont.

The BBC has established United was set to axe the route next month, believing its aircraft could be more profitably used elsewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37060489

Seems this route needs all the help it can get!

JAmie2k9

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:33 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

A rescue deal has been agreed to prevent US airline United ending its daily service between Belfast and New York.

Financial assistance, believed to be in the region of £9m over three years, will be provided.

The BBC has established United was set to axe the route next month, believing its aircraft could be more profitably used elsewhere.

United laughing all the way to the bank. Given the poor financial state of NI Budgets it's good to see they have priorities in order. You could argue it's impotent for investment but until the UK sort of the departure form the EU I don't see much investment especially in NI.

United been exempt from APD and they still can't make money so it's only a matter of time before it goes. That amount of money must be around £10-15,000 per day based on the frequency during the year. It only operates daily for a few months and drops as low as 3 or 4 weekly. It's a lot of money.

If they put such levels of money into getting European connections such as FRA, CDG, MAD with the big carriers I think it would benefit NI much more than this service.

Eirules

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:25 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

United laughing all the way to the bank. Given the poor financial state of NI Budgets it's good to see they have priorities in order. You could argue it's impotent for investment but until the UK sort of the departure form the EU I don't see much investment especially in NI.

United been exempt from APD and they still can't make money so it's only a matter of time before it goes. That amount of money must be around £10-15,000 per day based on the frequency during the year. It only operates daily for a few months and drops as low as 3 or 4 weekly. It's a lot of money.

If they put such levels of money into getting European connections such as FRA, CDG, MAD with the big carriers I think it would benefit NI much more than this service.

I have to agree. I know subsidies seem to be the norm but I think after this long the route should be either able to stand on its own or let it fail

JAmie2k9

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Eirules wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

I have to agree. I know subsidies seem to be the norm but I think after this long the route should be either able to stand on its own or let it fail

And the 9 million is also when fuel prices are exceptionally low compared to 3 years ago and it's still not viable.

dstc47

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:13 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Hope some of the boosters for ORK are reading this story but I doubt it.

dstc47

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:25 am

Bombardier moving work out of Belfast to Morocco and Mexico.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busin ... 58495.html

OA260

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:35 am

shamrock350 wrote:

Its proving very hard to fill and the only reason for the funding is political. Whether this is right or not well the jury is out. People still flocking to DUB. Of course its a win win for UA.

stratocruiser

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:49 am

shamrock350 wrote:

The money the Stormont government is throwing at this route is about twice the amount that EI is getting as a subsidy for the BDL route, but at least BDL is a start-up, which some might consider sufficient justification. I believe in principle however that airlines ought to be able to stand on their own feet and if they need to they should 'subsidise' new routes themselves during the first couple of years using their profits from existing routes. Of course no airline is going to turn down an offer as good as this but Foster has to decide how long she is going to continue wasting tax payers money on a route which, if it is not viable by now, is never likely to be viable.

tonystan

Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:50 pm

stratocruiser wrote:

The money the Stormont government is throwing at this route is about twice the amount that EI is getting as a subsidy for the BDL route, but at least BDL is a start-up, which some might consider sufficient justification. I believe in principle however that airlines ought to be able to stand on their own feet and if they need to they should 'subsidise' new routes themselves during the first couple of years using their profits from existing routes. Of course no airline is going to turn down an offer as good as this but Foster has to decide how long she is going to continue wasting tax payers money on a route which, if it is not viable by now, is never likely to be viable.

The money EI is "getting" is actually a guarantee from the State of Connecticut as opposed to actual funding. Basically they have entered into agreement whereby the will guarantee Aer Lingus a percentage of profitability on the route for a said period of time. If in that period of time Aer Lingus can't make it work the state will then give support to the airline. But if Aer Lingus actually turn a pretty penny on the route (and why wouldn't they?) they state won't have to indulge. Much like EI's previous operation to BWI and indeed the agreement BA currently has with the state of Maryland.

I wonder if this NI deal is much the same or is stormont actually paying UA to stay?

AmricanShamrok

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

And the 9 million is also when fuel prices are exceptionally low compared to 3 years ago and it's still not viable.

EWR-BFS was very successful when it launched in 2005 and did well even through the economic downturn and the spike in oil prices in 2008...what happened in the last few years that made demand plummet?

kstse

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:35 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

EWR-BFS was very successful when it launched in 2005 and did well even through the economic downturn and the spike in oil prices in 2008...what happened in the last few years that made demand plummet?

I would guess the improvement in connections to Dublin with it taking around 2hrs from Belfast to Dublin Airport no longer seen as an inconvenience to those who want cheaper fares and more options and probably pre-clearance having an affect too.

JAmie2k9

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:12 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Perhaps they had some marketing support for the first couple of years as well. Didn't Vueling receive big money for BHD-BCN and what a mess that was.

stratocruiser

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 am

tonystan wrote:
stratocruiser wrote:

The money EI is "getting" is actually a guarantee from the State of Connecticut as opposed to actual funding. Basically they have entered into agreement whereby the will guarantee Aer Lingus a percentage of profitability on the route for a said period of time. If in that period of time Aer Lingus can't make it work the state will then give support to the airline. But if Aer Lingus actually turn a pretty penny on the route (and why wouldn't they?) they state won't have to indulge. Much like EI's previous operation to BWI and indeed the agreement BA currently has with the state of Maryland.

I wonder if this NI deal is much the same or is stormont actually paying UA to stay?

My mistake, I understood EI were actually getting that money as a subsidy for the BDL route, but the arrangement that you have described is a far more sensible alternative. I also think EI will do very well on that route and hopefully it will encourage further new northeastern US destinations.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:08 am

Just a little note for history's sake ...The former EI-SHN, Aer Lingus's first A330 - delivered in 1994, has been flown to Marana, on its return to its lessor, now registered N54AN (its line number was 54). It served with Air Asia X for many years as 9M-XAA. Given its age and the fact that it's an early model -300, its future is probably not too bright, but it has a proud place in Aer Lingus's history.

Including the four original A330s, the three -200s, the four current A333s and the four on order (two this year and two on order), EI's total A330 operation has amounted to 15 units - not bad for an airline which at one stage during the early 1990s was just using one 747 for winter operations! How far it has come!

EIDL

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Some market research work I've seen being done suggests that the current EI Plus fare is going to gain an official 'earlier flight if available' option, as already happens at stations with multiple flights if the staff feel like it - had it at LHR multiple times. Also mention of Avios on all fares, although probably at an atrocious rate.

OA260

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:02 am

kstse wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

I would guess the improvement in connections to Dublin with it taking around 2hrs from Belfast to Dublin Airport no longer seen as an inconvenience to those who want cheaper fares and more options and probably pre-clearance having an affect too.

24 hour bus services by BE/UB have assisted greatly and then you have the Air Coach too. The buses are packed at all hours and over the last weeks people have had to wait for the next one due to the volume of passengers. That is a big consideration of a certain longhaul carrier currently looking at BFS and a major concern about the viability of it.

Phen

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:55 am

A British Airways 747-400 G-CIVV has landed in DUB due to crew running out of hours. I'm not sure if it has already departed again. There's a pic of it parking at Pier B.

Can someone explain in a nutshell how crew decide what to do/plan ahead, knowing that they are going to run out of hours? Would they have been planning a diversion to DUB from the moment they departed YYT?

JAmie2k9

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Phen wrote:
A British Airways 747-400 G-CIVV has landed in DUB due to crew running out of hours. I'm not sure if it has already departed again. There's a pic of it parking at Pier B.

Can someone explain in a nutshell how crew decide what to do/plan ahead, knowing that they are going to run out of hours? Would they have been planning a diversion to DUB from the moment they departed YYT?

Whoever is in charge of operations would decide to ground the aircraft in YYT or continue to Ireland (if realistic with crew hours) where for example there are lots of flights to LHR to accommodate passengers and it would cost far less to BA by doing it and/or they could easily get a crew over within a few hours to continue.

tonystan

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Phen wrote:

In this case you will find a planned diversion to Dublin maxing the pilots hours was more beneficial than grounding the aircraft in YYT because YYT is not a mainline station for BA and lacks and support facilities, plus it would require overnighting passengers and crew and a lot of general upheaval. Bringing the aircraft to Dublin means the aircraft is near base, there are easy options to get the passengers to their final destination including flying a relief crew easily to DUB to meet the aircraft and there is not even the necessity to overnight the out of hours crew but simply fly them home!

Phen

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:31 pm

Makes sense! I guess they could fly in a relief crew from LHR pretty quickly to take over and fly the aircraft back to base with minimal delay.

RRTrent

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Phen wrote:
Makes sense! I guess they could fly in a relief crew from LHR pretty quickly to take over and fly the aircraft back to base with minimal delay.

If they knew when they left YYT that they would be diverting to DUB, then id hazard a guess that the new crew were already waiting for them when they landed.

JU241

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Just saw a BA heavy taking off eastward while I was driving home (close to DUB) and decided to check in at FR24 and here lol.

It was still bearing BA174 flt# so not sure whether a ferry flight or a relief crew was already in here.

EI121

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any updates on the new EI routes and also the new A330's. I heard that one was due next week, however can't find anything of a first flight etc.

Cheers - EI121

Eagleboy

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:10 pm

EI121 wrote:
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any updates on the new EI routes and also the new A330's. I heard that one was due next week, however can't find anything of a first flight etc.

No official news on new routes for 2017 but should be something announced very soon, maybe to coincide with the arrival of the next A333?

New A333's; 1st expected end of the month and 2-3 weeks after that for the 2nd one. Sept 1st currently shows 9x A330 departures ex DUB on EI.com website.

Eirules

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:04 pm

I'll put money on one of the new aircraft not being ready on time & they have to hire in an aircraft to cover. You heard it here first.....

iRISH251

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:53 pm

RRTrent wrote:
Phen wrote:

If they knew when they left YYT that they would be diverting to DUB, then id hazard a guess that the new crew were already waiting for them when they landed.

I don't know, but in any event the aircraft spent five hours on the ground at Dublin, getting airborne again at 1710 local time.

OA260

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:35 am

RRTrent wrote:
Phen wrote:

That would be the ideal situation but if it spent 5 hrs on the ground then maybe not. Good thing is that as BA has a decent sized operation at DUB the Swissport handlers would be able to handle the diversion better then a non BA station. (At least one would hope).

RRTrent

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:19 am

OA260 wrote:
That would be the ideal situation but if it spent 5 hrs on the ground then maybe not.

I tend to agree. We can be "avgeeks" till the worlds end, but clearly we don't know whats going on behind the scenes all the time :lol:

One thing that annoys me is I was headed home on the M50 and passed the airport at 5pm, had I known it was leaving at 5:10pm I'd have stopped off to wave it goodbye. In line with my earlier assumption, I taught it had already left.

The last time I saw a BA 747 in DUB was on my birthday in 2010, when LHR had to close because of snow and we got a few 747's, a VS A346 and some AA 772's.

OA260

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:47 am

Cork Airport marked the 10th birthday of its terminal yesterday with a renewed commitment to break the impasse threatening the launch of low-cost transatlantic flights from Cork.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/co ... 16018.html

BestWestern

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:35 am

10 years, it only feels like it opened yesterday. Has the new terminal ever managed the throughput of the older terminal it replaced?

dstc47

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Yes, a bit of a shock to find the new terminal at Cork is now ten years old.

Passenger numbers at Dublin in July were 9% higher than in the same month last year. Both Continental and UK routes did well.
More than 2.9m passengers used Dublin Airport in July, making it the busiest month in the airport’s history.

shamrocka330

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:24 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8509543@N03/28994716226/

Photo of the new A330, believe it had its 1st flight yesterday, delivery planned for the 31st.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:06 pm

shamrocka330 wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8509543@N03/28994716226/

Photo of the new A330, believe it had its 1st flight yesterday, delivery planned for the 31st.

"St Colmcille", the last A333 to bear that name was EI-JFK, retired in 2009 I believe.

Eirules

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:29 am

Oh doesn't she look very pretty

JAmie2k9

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Eirules wrote:
Oh doesn't she look very pretty

Not as pretty as a retro colors.

RRTrent

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:28 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:

If memory serves correct, the original plan was for the retro jet to be an A330. But Marketing decided its best used on an A320 as it will visit more airports multiple times daily. Which to be fair, makes a lot of sense.

OA260

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:18 pm

RRTrent wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

If memory serves correct, the original plan was for the retro jet to be an A330. But Marketing decided its best used on an A320 as it will visit more airports multiple times daily. Which to be fair, makes a lot of sense.

True but from an Anetters point of view it would be nice :)

JAmie2k9

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:45 am

Flybe to start 6 times weekly DSA service replacing EIR from 30 October. Most flights are early morning ex DUB so will be interesting to see if EI extend code share to Doncaster and Cardiff.

teahan

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:11 am

Ryanair will start offering a hot breakfast pre-order service on flights from 1st October, departing Dublin before 7am.

What's the latest on EI's food offering?

SURFER

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:45 am

Airlineroute tweeted this morning that Kuwait Airways KU117 will go to 6 a week by the end of October and daily from the 18th of December. Good news for SNN.

shamrock350

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:56 am

Travelled with Aer Lingus yesterday LHR-ORK, flight was near enough completely full and crew were incredibly busy. It was a 2pm departure and sales of BIA looked strong to me, we ordered a cheese toastie, two bacon and sausage rolls and a few drinks. Everything we asked for was available and with us immediately, I head one crew member down the back tell a passenger the breakfast would take 6 minutes, didn't think they did it after a certain time but whoever it was got their brekkie in the end!

Lots of passengers needing special assistance on boarding, kids, elderly and disabled plus a few token nuns! Landing was interesting, London was baking in near 30 degree heat but Cork was foggy, very foggy! Captain requested all electronic devices were off for landing, even those with flight mode. Didn't actually see the ground until a second or two before touchdown which itself was uncharacteristically rough for an A320! In the end it was a really nice flight.

I've been a little critical of Aer Lingus cabin crew recently, maybe somewhat unfairly comparing them to the efficient working styles I've become used to seeing at Ryanair but they were top notch yesterday, warm smiles and genuine friendliness from all of them, something I haven't seen in a while.

Cabin of EI-DVI was spotless too.

JAmie2k9

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 pm

Just popped on EI site and they are looking for feedback on how they can improve their offers, just 4 basic questions about region you are traveling, number of people, what sort of fares are you looking at and are you looking at other carriers.

In other news ASL plan operate a weekly charter to Agadir for Sunway from 23 December, they would of previously used EI scheduled service.

shamrock350

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 pm

The punctuality of Aer Lingus was discussed here a few weeks back, they had a really good start to year being ahead of Ryanair at Dublin in the first quarter and it looks like they've maintained that for every month since. Their performance has been as much as 8 points ahead of Ryanair, comfortably making them Dublin's most on time major airline. They've also continued to keep their excellent performance at Heathrow since moving to Terminal 2, being the most punctual major in 5 out of 7 months, and the most punctual IAG airline in all but one month this year, quite an achievement.

Bia sales on board are 12% ahead of last year, the introduction of multi-sector catering was a mess and well covered on this forum, across social media via complaints to the airline and input from crew but since its arrival wastage in Bia has gone from 50% to 20% so overall Bia has gone from loss making a year ago to profitable this year. Now the challenge for management is to reinvest that money into the offering for passenger, not just give each other pats on the back for a job well done.

OA260

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 am

Stobart Air sale to CityJet set to close next week
A deal to sell Aer Lingus Regional operator Stobart Air to CityJet looks set to close next week, the Irish Independent understands.

It's believed that UK-based aviation financing group Falko, which is supported by affiliates of funds managed by Fortress Investment Group, is closely linked to the deal.

CityJet is also preparing to base aircraft at London Southend Airport, which is owned by UK-based Stobart Group.

It's believed that Stobart Air will be sold for about €80m, which includes the acquisition of a leasing firm that acts as a holding company for a chunk of the airline's fleet.

The deal is likely to result in Stobart Air and CityJet being operated as two separate entities for at least the time being.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 77877.html

JAmie2k9

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:47 pm

One area where I think EI need to do more is with lost baggage as going by the social media sites it's appears like an issue.
_____
51st & Green was previously free of charge for Business and Airline Card holders, now it's free for Business customers and a charge of €39 for anybody else to use it.

JAmie2k9

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Flybe have changed Cork-Cardiff schedule for winter and now make the route useful. Operating on Mondays and Fridays. About time ti's the type of schedule the route always needed to have any chance.

OA260

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Dublin route for Derry airport scrapped

The economic climate post-Brexit has been blamed for a planned new route from City of Derry Airport to Dublin being scrapped.
Derry Airport staff have now confirmed that the Citywing route will now not go ahead. An Airport spokesperson said that the new route was due to be part-funded by the Government’s Regional Air Connectivity Fund, but also required additional funding. She said: “The impact of the referendum vote in favour of Brexit has led to significant devaluation in the pound sterling, given that the airline industry operates in euro and dollars.
“The economics of the route deteriorated to a position which has made the operation of this route commercially difficult.”

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/busine ... -1-7535713

JAmie2k9

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:30 pm

EIDL wrote:
Some market research work I've seen being done suggests that the current EI Plus fare is going to gain an official 'earlier flight if available' option, as already happens at stations with multiple flights if the staff feel like it - had it at LHR multiple times. Also mention of Avios on all fares, although probably at an atrocious rate.

Just after noticing that Vueling offer this service with their "Optima Fare" which is the Plus equivalent at EI. Wonder will EI increase baggage from 20 to 23kg like Vueling offer?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos