321neo
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:23 am

This one is totally out of the blue! :!:

http://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-service-to-dublin/

2-daily E190 beginning October 30th
 
Cipango
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 am

321neo wrote:
This one is totally out of the blue! :!:

http://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-service-to-dublin/

2-daily E190 beginning October 30th

Interesting...

So no QR announcement today?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1836
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:28 am

Oh! Wasn't expecting that. 2 daily isn't much against the competition. Will they still codeshare with EI?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
User avatar
Dublinspotter
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 am

Eirules wrote:
Reports this morning that "one of the world's major airlines" will announce direct flights to Dublin at noon today....

Has to be QR right??


I was thinking QR too and thought watch ac type(788??) though KLM is ranked highly on the global theatre too! This leads me to think that this is the announcement.
There is hope in that theres an hour and half left of the morning ;)
Dublinspotter
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:07 am

321neo wrote:
This one is totally out of the blue! :!:

http://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-service-to-dublin/

2-daily E190 beginning October 30th


Was only a matter of time before KL metal tested the waters. Great to see them finally announce it and not a real surprise given the IAG takeover.

Good slots too and will offer plenty of connections. How long before they start telling partners to book KLM metal rather than the codeshares!


KL932 DUB 0555 AMS 0830
KL936 DUB 1315 AMS 1550

KL935 AMS 1200 DUB 1240
KL939 AMS 2120 DUB 2200
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:54 am

Interesting route and at a time when EI were starting to return AMS back to X5 daily after a drop off since FR started.

Delta will also be pleased as they cut the AMS transit point a few years ago and clearly EI operating had something do do with it.
 
stratocruiser
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:09 am

kaitak wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
snnus wrote:

Again?! Quite the reputation those BA pilots are building at DUB.


Yes, and this time other crews backed the ATC person; frankly, the ATC person was extremely professional and quite rightly, didn't engage in an argument with him. The BA guy was being prissy and awkward; it would be interesting to see what his flight safety report said. Don't see that he has any grounds for one.

To borrow a quote from the FR pilot: "tool"!


I've been looking at the AIP parking/docking chart for DUB trying to work out what happened here and, although it is difficult without actually knowing which stands the BA and EIR aircraft were parked on ( I assume both were on the northern side of Pier A), it appears that BA was cleared to push back to point 'C' and the ATR was cleared to push back to point 'B'. If BA was on the ATR's left ("British Airways on your left will be pushing back also to Charlie"), this means that the ATR during its pushback to 'B' would pass behind the BA! As both had been given pushback clearance to their respective engine start points, then this was bound to cause a conflict which seem to have been the case as the BA pushback crew were obviously concerned enough to warn the BA aircrew and stop the pushback!

Even though the other crews backed the controller, I am not sure if they actually witnessed the incident or just heard the conversations over the ATC. Although I am no defender of BA, it seems to me that the controllers instructions to both BA and EIR here in terms of who should give way to whom were certainly not clear and, to be fair to the BA pilot, he may have had a valid reason for his "prissy" irritation! If his incident report leads to any investigation, it would be very interesting to know the outcome here.
 
al2637
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:11 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 am

Wow, super happy with the KLM announcement as an Irish guy living in Amsterdam :)

We've gone from an EI monopoly to 3 airlines competing on the route.

KL obviously confident enough they can fill with connections and flyingblue point to point, you'd expect Ryanair to take the majority of the rest of the point to point market.... makes me wonder what is left for EI. I know they feed a lot of transatlantic traffic from AMS, but if they reduce frequency further they will also take a hit on that.

Still an early morning AMS-DUB missing, all 3 carriers operate the first flight of the day DUB-AMS. KL obviously trying to feed the AMS hub with the early morning departure connecting with the first transatlantic wave. Feels like there must have been a major falling out for KL to go head to head with EI like this, both flights leave at 0555.

Interesting times!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:11 pm

al2637 wrote:
Feels like there must have been a major falling out for KL to go head to head with EI like this, both flights leave at 0555.

Interesting times!


I would not go that far in fairness and feel it is more just to do with business sense. Still I agree interesting times and Im loving the fact that we will see KLM metal at DUB and have been wishing for a long time now.Time to make a booking for myself ;)
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm

al2637 wrote:
Wow, super happy with the KLM announcement as an Irish guy living in Amsterdam :)

We've gone from an EI monopoly to 3 airlines competing on the route.

KL obviously confident enough they can fill with connections and flyingblue point to point, you'd expect Ryanair to take the majority of the rest of the point to point market.... makes me wonder what is left for EI. I know they feed a lot of transatlantic traffic from AMS, but if they reduce frequency further they will also take a hit on that.

Still an early morning AMS-DUB missing, all 3 carriers operate the first flight of the day DUB-AMS. KL obviously trying to feed the AMS hub with the early morning departure connecting with the first transatlantic wave. Feels like there must have been a major falling out for KL to go head to head with EI like this, both flights leave at 0555.

Interesting times!


KLM would not of had many options with the morning departure, it was 05.55 or likely around 08.00 before the next slot was free.

Was it not said on here a few months ago the 05.55 EI service was not great for connections but the new 07.30 service allowed much shorter ones.
 
User avatar
RRTrent
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:00 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
If his incident report leads to any investigation, it would be very interesting to know the outcome here.


I tend to agree, the FB community was very quick to judge and blame the BA pilot because Hey the Irish girl in the tower is godly and the BA pilot is British and arrogant. But breaking it down, my interpretation is:

    The controller cleared BA to push to point C
    Then cleared RE to push to B after clearing BA thus creating a conflict herself
    She said she tried to contact BA, but wasn't able to get hold of him

So should she not then have contacted RE and asked them to hold the push until BA had cleared them instead of leaving it to the ground crew to notice the pending incursion?

I also don't have an issue with his reaction. He said he should have been told, but admitted he wasn't listening to the freq, then was told RE should have gave way but didn't so he closes by saying "oh its his fault so". That should be the end of it, but she then blames BA when it appears to me to be a situation of her making, with additional factors in between. But the reality is that she was the ATCO, she was directing traffic, and it was her responsibility to ensure that if BA wasn't aware of the ATR, that the ATR was aware of the BA. And it all started with her clearing the RE after the BA had been cleared, but before it had passed

It ends by BA advising they're filing a report on it, which I would presume is a requirement in these circumstances, and if anything it was a courtesy in advising her.
 
teahan
Posts: 4994
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 1999 11:18 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
KLM would not of had many options with the morning departure, it was 05.55 or likely around 08.00 before the next slot was free..


Surely not, especially in winter.
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:21 pm

teahan wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
KLM would not of had many options with the morning departure, it was 05.55 or likely around 08.00 before the next slot was free..


Surely not, especially in winter.


06.00-07.00 is usually full in winter also, you would however perhaps get something between 07.00-07.30. Could also be issued at AMS end and hub carriers like KL don't really switch schedules between summer and winter very much.
 
User avatar
RRTrent
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:45 pm

The first ever direct air route between Dublin and China is on the cards, with Hainan Airlines closely examining the potential for a service.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 20090.html
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Aegean Airlines had their inaugural flight into DUB last night. Advance bookings surpassed expectations. It was one of the most successful route launches for them in terms of passengers booked. Hopefully the trend continues for the rest of the season.
 
stratocruiser
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:56 pm

RRTrent wrote:
She said she tried to contact BA, but wasn't able to get hold of him

So should she not then have contacted RE and asked them to hold the push until BA had cleared them instead of leaving it to the ground crew to notice the pending incursion?

I also don't have an issue with his reaction. He said he should have been told, but admitted he wasn't listening to the freq, then was told RE should have gave way but didn't so he closes by saying "oh its his fault so". That should be the end of it, but she then blames BA when it appears to me to be a situation of her making, with additional factors in between. But the reality is that she was the ATCO, she was directing traffic, and it was her responsibility to ensure that if BA wasn't aware of the ATR, that the ATR was aware of the BA. And it all started with her clearing the RE after the BA had been cleared, but before it had passed

It ends by BA advising they're filing a report on it, which I would presume is a requirement in these circumstances, and if anything it was a courtesy in advising her.


Although she says she tried to contact BA, curiously there is no evidence in this recording of any attempted calls being made to the BA aircraft regarding the conflict before she contacts the ATR to advise that the BA on his left was pushing back, but that was obviously too late as it seems the ATR was behind it at that stage. If she had been trying to contact BA, as she says then surely those attempts would be audible in the recording? I think given the busy situation she found herself in, she didn't realise the potential conflict she had caused until it was too late and the attempt to blame it on BA was to cover herself.

I would also take issue with the description of the pilot as being 'very rude' as described in the text at the beginning of this video. The BA pilot, though clearly (and understandably) unhappy, demonstrated a degree of restrained politeness under the circumstances and even says "good day" at the end. If anything the rude pilot was the one who called him a "tool" and the ones sniggering and laughing without I suspect knowing exactly what went on.

And just in case anyone thinks otherwise, I am Irish not British!
 
al2637
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:11 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:03 pm

KL flights loaded on klm.com. They seem to be operating with a 20 business class seats config! (although I know they can move the curtain, and change them into "economy comfort")
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:19 pm

The inaugural is on sale for around EUR64 . Good chance to get on the first flight. KL 936 at 1315.
 
User avatar
SuperSix2
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi Folks

Does anyone know what time the U.S. VP is arriving into Dublin?


Cheers
 
JU241
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Ahhh this explains the Garda checkpoints around St Margaret's :)
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2061
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:26 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
eicvd wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Plane makes emergency landing at Dublin Airport

A transatlantic flight made an emergency landing at Dublin Airport this afternoon.

United Airlines flight 31 was travelling from Munich in Germany to Newark in the US. When it was northwest of Donegal, the crew declared an emergency.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0619/796701-news-in-brief/

Another UA diverted in again this evening, saw it on Flightradar, departed LHR.


It was scheduled UA LHR-DUB, yes very long routing but that was planned routing.

It made a low enough pass over my house in Limerick city. Looked up Flightradar24.com to discover it was routing LHR-DUB with the flight number UA2147. After overflying Limerick at low altitude it continued to DUB - why this strange route?
 
snnus
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:24 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Kuwait Airways coming to SNN with a 3 x weekly KWI-SNN-JFK, Starting very soon.
 
Cipango
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:37 pm

snnus wrote:
Kuwait Airways coming to SNN with a 3 x weekly KWI-SNN-JFK, Starting very soon.

Will this replace LHR? Will Kuwait have local traffic rights?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.
 
David_itl
Posts: 6342
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:39 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:46 pm

I doubt it. On paper they could but remember they got into a heap of trouble with an Israeli passport holder just wanting to fly JFK-LHR and being refused. As it stands, if the route is principally about the KWI-JFK market with slightly lower fares compared to the non-stop flight then stopping off in SNN would probably be cheaper than LHR though it leaves the question of what they would do with the vacated LHR slots.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1836
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:04 pm

David_itl wrote:
I doubt it. On paper they could but remember they got into a heap of trouble with an Israeli passport holder just wanting to fly JFK-LHR and being refused. As it stands, if the route is principally about the KWI-JFK market with slightly lower fares compared to the non-stop flight then stopping off in SNN would probably be cheaper than LHR though it leaves the question of what they would do with the vacated LHR slots.


Why bother to have a non stop & a one stop? If price is so key then drop the non stop, if there is enough premium demand then why not drop the one stop, irregardless of where that stop is
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi all,

I have followed this forum for a very long time, but have only have obtained the rights to post, so this is my first post.

To be honest, I am with the BA pilot at Dublin airport. The controller created the pending incursion herself and the BA pilots reaction is what it should be, also I think these types of incursions have to be reported.

Also it is nice to see KLM finally dip their feet in the Irish Market. And maybe in time they might start flights to other Irish destinations such as SNN and ORK.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:00 pm

JU241 wrote:
Ahhh this explains the Garda checkpoints around St Margaret's :)


Surveilence aircraft have been flying over around the border area recently and some areas I heard will be in lock down for a few hours on Saturday as he is visiting North Louth.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:02 pm

snnus wrote:
Kuwait Airways coming to SNN with a 3 x weekly KWI-SNN-JFK, Starting very soon.


Nice route to have from an Av Geek point of view . SNN has seen a few of these over the years with RJ SU PK all stopping. I flew KU on the LHR-JFK route which was pleasant if not a bit retro :)
 
Eagleboy
Posts: 1707
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:11 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
..........Although she says she tried to contact BA, curiously there is no evidence in this recording of any attempted calls being made to the BA aircraft regarding the conflict ......

One issue I have with this 'incident' is that the recording is edited. We dont have that full recording, this entire episode is based on a youtube upload of some of the liveATC feed. There are multiple channels/frequencies in use at any one time.
IN addition perhaps the mention of filing a report could have been a courtesy to the ATCO, "I don't like what happened, I'm making a report, just want to let you know that's its not an underhand thing." Doesn't mean he is unhappy with the ATCO, could be just unhappy with the situation. It was a very hectic day at DUB, 60+ mins delays, there was a emergency diversions which impacted the entire airfield.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Eagleboy wrote:
stratocruiser wrote:
..........Although she says she tried to contact BA, curiously there is no evidence in this recording of any attempted calls being made to the BA aircraft regarding the conflict ......

One issue I have with this 'incident' is that the recording is edited. We dont have that full recording, this entire episode is based on a youtube upload of some of the liveATC feed. There are multiple channels/frequencies in use at any one time.
IN addition perhaps the mention of filing a report could have been a courtesy to the ATCO, "I don't like what happened, I'm making a report, just want to let you know that's its not an underhand thing." Doesn't mean he is unhappy with the ATCO, could be just unhappy with the situation. It was a very hectic day at DUB, 60+ mins delays, there was a emergency diversions which impacted the entire airfield.


I think the real issue he is the consistent BA issues (2nd ground incident), there is no such issues with the 40+ other operators at the airport. So why is the same operator involved time after time?

There is also two pilots on board surly one of them should of heard her trying to make calls which if she didn't we would know even if it was not included in this piece.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
rojam
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:40 pm

321neo wrote:
This one is totally out of the blue! :!:

http://news.klm.com/klm-to-launch-service-to-dublin/

2-daily E190 beginning October 30th


No way, finally!
Some of you may remember my old profile signature - "Still no KLM/Skyteam metal DUB-AMS". This is just the best news for anyone who a) travels the route regularly and/or b) is a Flying Blue member looking to spend miles via AMS (there were no FB seats, nor business class, on the Aer Lingus codeshare).

KL932 DUB-AMS @ 05h55 is great for commuters - especially with the hour difference on the mainland. KL939 AMS-DUB @ 21h20 is a bit late - but still great to have.
Last edited by rojam on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My 1000th flight: WVB-CPT on SW....no Aer Lingus or Air France or DUB or LON or ZRH or AMS
 
User avatar
SuperSix2
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:45 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:

I think the real issue he is the consistent BA issues (3rd ground incident), there is no such issues with the 40+ other operators at the airport. So why is the same operator involved time after time?


Hi

Out of interest what was the 2nd incident with BA? Im aware of one last year where the BA pilot was instructed 3 times to exit the runway after not being 'ready' for takeoff. Did i miss one?

Cheers
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 pm

SuperSix2 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:

I think the real issue he is the consistent BA issues (3rd ground incident), there is no such issues with the 40+ other operators at the airport. So why is the same operator involved time after time?


Hi

Out of interest what was the 2nd incident with BA? Im aware of one last year where the BA pilot was instructed 3 times to exit the runway after not being 'ready' for takeoff. Did i miss one?

Cheers


Apologies was a type by me will correct if I can.
 
User avatar
RRTrent
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:57 am

SuperSix2 wrote:
Out of interest what was the 2nd incident with BA? Im aware of one last year where the BA pilot was instructed 3 times to exit the runway after not being 'ready' for takeoff. Did i miss one?


I can think of 3 in total, the first was the occasion you mentioned where they refused to exit the runway (I think it may have been the same ATCO also)

There was also an incident during one of the winter storms this past winter, where a BA pilot got quite angry with DUB ATC regarding weather. They decided to return to LHR and had a rant over the airways about it being unsafe and that the airport shouldn't even be open and what not. They had already aborted one approach and decided against a 2nd attempt.

I think its fair to say that if this latest incident was an EI pilot with a male controller it wouldn't have gone "viral".
 
iRISH251
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:56 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
I think the real issue he [?} is the consistent BA issues (2nd ground incident), there is no such issues with the 40+ other operators at the airport. So why is the same operator involved time after time?


How can you possibly know what events occur at DUB across all of the operators, based, it appears, on what manages to be picked up from a feed that scans multiple frequencies and very selected bits of which are then reproduced by people on the Internet? If you were to spend even one day monitoring only the DUB ground frequency I am sure you would hear situations where instructions are amended and/or people make non-standard comments. What was surprising about the most recent "event" is the interventions by the crews of other aircraft which were not involved in the ATC/BA/Stobart communications - totally unprofessional and inappropriate.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5231
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:33 am

The Omni 767 has now been painted in hybrid Aer Lingus colours for the Shannon operation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/2 ... 86j-J8MRzz

The Shamrock on the engine is facing the wrong way and the Shamrock on the titles isn't positioned/sized properly but overall it's a much better attempt than last year!
 
Cipango
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:03 am

shamrock350 wrote:
The Shamrock on the engine is facing the wrong way and the Shamrock on the titles isn't positioned/sized properly but overall it's a much better attempt than last year!

It is indeed! Good spot.

Until now, I never noticed the small shamrock on the engine cowlings.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:08 am

Some nice metal parked at DUB due to the VP visit.


Image
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2061
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:36 am

shamrock350 wrote:
The Omni 767 has now been painted in hybrid Aer Lingus colours for the Shannon operation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/2 ... 86j-J8MRzz

The Shamrock on the engine is facing the wrong way and the Shamrock on the titles isn't positioned/sized properly but overall it's a much better attempt than last year!

Also in the normal EI livery, the shamrock isn't displayed along the fuselage.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2061
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Another indication that the departure of VG from WAT may be down to the airline's own issues and not necessarily due to lack of demand:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1336017
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:59 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
I think the real issue he [?} is the consistent BA issues (2nd ground incident), there is no such issues with the 40+ other operators at the airport. So why is the same operator involved time after time?


How can you possibly know what events occur at DUB across all of the operators, based, it appears, on what manages to be picked up from a feed that scans multiple frequencies and very selected bits of which are then reproduced by people on the Internet? If you were to spend even one day monitoring only the DUB ground frequency I am sure you would hear situations where instructions are amended and/or people make non-standard comments. What was surprising about the most recent "event" is the interventions by the crews of other aircraft which were not involved in the ATC/BA/Stobart communications - totally unprofessional and inappropriate.


Can't be certain but there is a lot of people who listen across the day so it would be difficult to miss. If BA crew didn't have such attitude there would be no issues with the incident. It's not just DUB either, do some YouTube searches and they are involved elsewhere as well!
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 pm

Aer Lingus has introduced self tagging at check-in at Dublin airport and installed 40 self-service Express Bag Drop kiosks.

Their new Express Bag Drop service enables travellers to self-tag and check-in their bags once they have their boarding card printed or downloaded to their mobile device.

The airline says that in a matter of minutes or even seconds Aer Lingus guests can complete the check-in process, deposit their bag and proceed swiftly towards departures.

The Aer Lingus check-in area at Dublin airport now includes 40 self-service Express Bag Drop kiosks which are available to all guests travelling with Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus ground staff are on hand to help familiarise travellers using the new check-in facility for the first time. Express Bag Drop is one of many initiatives introduced by the airline to ensure a seamless travel experience. Online and mobile check-in allows guests to arrive to the airport with boarding card in hand, avoiding queues.

In addition, Aer Lingus offers an evening before check-in service in Dublin and Cork airports, largely aimed at families. The service gives travellers the opportunity to complete their check-in transaction on the evening before their flight, leaving them virtually hassle free on the morning that they travel. For added convenience, only one immediate family member needs to check-in for a family group, once all tickets, passports and bags are provided together.

Mike Rutter, Chief Operating Officer, Aer Lingus, said: “Aer Lingus has invested heavily over the last 24 months in improving Guest Experience. Our latest innovation, the new ‘Express Bag Drop’ cuts the time our guests need to spend in the check-in area by at least 66%. I would urge all our guests to check-in in advance so they can experience this time-saving, stress-busting service.

“The installation project has been the largest single installation in Western Europe. It allows us to continue to grow the Aer Lingus business as we announce further exciting US and European routes because it delivers an effective 200pc increase in check-in capacity.

We began piloting Express Bag Drop kiosks some months ago and already the feedback from our guests has been very positive. Express Bag Drop is a significant step forward in our mission to provide the smoothest possible journey through the airport to get you on your Aer Lingus flight.”

http://www.travelextra.ie/aer-lingus-in ... n-airport/
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Another good flight with Iberia Express.Nearly a full flight with lots of connections to LIS AGP TFS LPA MUC (Bit of an odd one). Crew very nice but not a fan of their breakfast. Pilot was chatting about our routing for longer then usual.


Image
.
Image
.
Image
.

Great to see Cork on the map .


Image
.
Image
.
Image
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi all,
does anybody know the load factor on yesterday's Iberia Cork flight?
Thanks
 
SURFER
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:52 pm

http://www.newstalk.com/Kuwait-Airways- ... it-service

Kuwait Airways officially confirmed for SNN. 3 flights a week starting tomorrow FRI, SUN and WED. Transit only at the moment.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2061
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:05 pm

SURFER wrote:
http://www.newstalk.com/Kuwait-Airways-Ireland-Shannon-Airport-transit-service

Kuwait Airways officially confirmed for SNN. 3 flights a week starting tomorrow FRI, SUN and WED. Transit only at the moment.

The transit will operate westbound only and commences immediately as the US temporarily bans nonstop Kuwait-USA flights citing security concerns while renovation works are underway at KWI.

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/kuw ... a-ireland/

KU117 arrives from KWI at 14:05 and departs to JFK at 16:35. Passengers will be security screened and pre-cleared. It is unclear if baggage/cargo will be offloaded for re-screening (though looking at the length of the ground time at SNN, it appears it will be).
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23300
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:17 pm

SURFER wrote:
http://www.newstalk.com/Kuwait-Airways-Ireland-Shannon-Airport-transit-service

Kuwait Airways officially confirmed for SNN. 3 flights a week starting tomorrow FRI, SUN and WED. Transit only at the moment.


Apparently there seems to be some reluctance in offering more then transit .
 
SURFER
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:21 pm

From the airline or Irish Authorities?
 
EIDL
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:50 pm

SURFER wrote:
From the airline or Irish Authorities?


US authorities I imagine would have objections - the Israeli passport holder problem doesn't go away by changing the intermediate country unless it also doesn't let them in!
 
cc47
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 9/16: Let's go fly a kite ...

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:24 am

So, UK voted for the Brexit and now I am wondering what affects this will have on Irish Aviation, will we see more flights into DUB and will FR have to cut back UK services?
Thanks

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos