Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A Twist In The EWR/CO Gate Agent Beating Case

Sun Aug 08, 1999 10:35 am

It appears the little dance between Continental and the obnoxious airline passenger who decided to beat the senseless daylight out of a helpless CO gate agent has escalated. Decide for yourself:

Source: AP

Airline Passenger Sues Continental

.c The Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - The airline passenger accused of slamming an airline worker to the ground sued Continental Airlines on Friday, charging that poor training caused airline workers to be violent to customers.

John C. Davis Jr., 29, of Fredericksburg, Va., said the fight July 22 at Newark International Airport caused him great pain and anguish. His suit claims the airline training causes workers ``to be violent and hostile towards their customers.''

Davis' lawyer, Anthony J. Pope, said an airline worker pushed Davis' wife when she tried to go catch a child who had run ahead, and that the worker grabbed Davis by the neck.

Police cited witnesses who said Davis struck gate agent Angelo Sottile, 50, before throwing him headfirst onto the floor.

Sottile broke two neck bones and spent eight days in the hospital.

Davis was arrested and charged with aggravated assault. He was released on $50,000 bail. Pope said Sottile was not sued because Continental is responsible for its employees.

Continental called the lawsuit ``a complete perversion of the facts.

(PROFILE (CO:Continental Airlines Inc; TS:CAL

Bruce

RE: A Twist In The EWR/CO Gate Agent Beating Case

Sun Aug 08, 1999 2:14 pm

funny story. But it shows that some lawyers will take anything for a case.

Eastern L1011

Sun Aug 08, 1999 2:42 pm

This is really sad. A grown man cannot take responsibility for his own actions so he tries to make it everyone else's fault. Next thing you know he'll be suing his 2nd grade teacher because she yelled at him one day and that anger came out with this ticket agent. I will say again, I don't want to get into a whole debate about society, but this is the lowest of the low. I really hope that a judge throws this out, and gives the lawyer who took this case a lecture on ethics. He is just trying to divert attention from his own irresponsible and childish actions. Now, I am really interested to hear how this turns out.

UPS Pilot

Sun Aug 08, 1999 11:01 pm

I can't judge what happened in this case because 1. I'm not a judge and 2. I don't know all the facts. What I can judge is in the countersuit the man is right when it comes to Continental employees lack of people skills and poor training I USE to fly Contenental alot but had a problem on one flight in which I asked the gate attendant to speak to his supervisor because of his EXTREME rudeness and lack of professionalism and he would not let me. This guy was so rude if I didn't know how to control my anger I could see how that would happen. I'm not for that behaviour but I could see how it would happen. One thing though if my child started running up the ramp and my wife went to get him. If the gate agent grabbed my wife and grabbed me by the neck then I would have defended my self by all means. If the gate attendant did do that then he is the one that assaulted the passenger and the passenger used force back to end the conflict.

flyCMH

Can You Say "I Want Money?"

Mon Aug 09, 1999 3:49 am

Stupid lawsuits like this piss me off so f**ckin' much!! How does one isolated incident lead to the conclusion that the entire airline is to blame!! "Pain and suffering!?" HE wasn't the on with 2 broken neck bones!! And this gentleman is soley responsible for his actions. Why don't people realize that a calm composer is essential in air travel? You have no idea how many times I've met up with rude gate attendents, FA's, etc. If the actions of an airline employee get me fed up, I don't waste time dealing with him/her. I go straight to whoever is incharge. I fail to see how a frivolous lawsuit like this will help the flying public. I just don't understand.

Markus

RE: A Twist In The EWR/CO Gate Agent (UPS Pilot)

Tue Aug 10, 1999 12:58 am

I wish people would not generalize and portray an entire airline's employee base: "Continental employees lack of people skills and poor training". This statement is not only redicoulous but has about as much merit as me saying that UPS pilots are poorly trained and not really that important because all they do is fly packages around. Please use your head when you make a post. It really makes you look stupid when you equate one incident with an agent to the overall traing and customer service skills of an entire airline.

Our agents at Continental and Continental Express go through over a month of training before they go to work at their respective stations. This training is five days a week 8-9 hours a day. To tell you the truth, I've had problems with CAL agents in various airpiorts, and I'm their co-worker!! But, that doesn't mean you can assume that the entire agent base is poorly trained and rude. I'd like to think that I'm very patient and polite with customers...unless they cross a certain line. Please just use some common sense when generalizing a company with 45,000+ employees.

Cheers,
Markus

Work Hard.
Fly Right.

UPS Pilot

RE: A Twist In The EWR/CO Gate Agent (UPS Pilot)

Tue Aug 10, 1999 4:32 am

You are right I can't judge all Continental Employees on the basis of my personal experiences but I can reflect my opinions on what I have experienced. I will not fly Continental ever from my past experiences. I have flown Continental alot and I must say the majority of the flights I have been on there has been some sort of customer service issue on them but then when I experienced it first hand then that was when I said thats it. I'm sure that Continental does have some wonderful employees working for them! The assault on the employee wasn't deserved but in training there are ways to avoid instances like that to happen. You just never know who is going to pop now days and people need to try to diffuse a situation without the need for violence.
Speaking of which a few years back my wife and I were flying back from Charleston WV to Charlotte then to Miami. We took are dog with us on the trip. We were on a Dash 8 from CRW to CLT and upon landing departed the plane. I waited on the tarmack to watch them unload the dog. My dog isn't to kind to strangers she barks alot at them (Jack Russell Terrier). Well I witnessed the handlers toss the cage from the plane on the ground then pick it upright and start taunting the dog. I confronted the personel and wanted to taunt and toss them like they did my dog but I can control myself. Well the dog was injured I had to take her to the vet were she had a slipped disc in her back. After medication and care she returned to normal. US Airway flipped the bill plus 2 airfares anyware they fly. Think about it though my dog was in a cage not harming anybody and these idiots decide to have fun with my dog. What if it were somebody that coudn't control their temper? That is were training is essential and weeding out the employees that do things like mentioned above come into play.
Jeff

flyCMH

UPS Pilot

Tue Aug 10, 1999 12:12 pm

Poor dog. Another thing I cannot stand is animal cuelty. If they would have done that to my dog, (doubt they could though, he weighs 110 lbs.) I probably would have beat the crud out of them. I'm glad that USAirways had the desency to pay for the recovery of your dog and give you free tickets.

L-188

Tue Aug 10, 1999 12:39 pm

I'm glad that the puppy is doing better. Forget about the dog biting the ramp crew, I probably would have done the job myself if it had been my dog.

Anyway in hope of adding a little humor to this post, I do want to forward this reportedly true story.

A old man used to fly out to go duck hunting every year. He always used to go hunting with this black lab that he had owned for years. Anyway the ground crew noticed that the dog was on the manifest for the first return flight of the day while he was on the later flight. Anyway the cargo crew opened the door and found the kennel in the airplane. They dog was lying on the bottom of if, it wasn't breathing, it's eyes where closed, it was dead. At this point the ground crew knowing how much this old man cared for his animals panics. They somehow get a hold of another black lab that was about the same size and swap it with deceased dog.

The old man arrives and goes to the cargo counter, the ground crew rolls out a pallet with the kennel on it. The old man looks into the kennel at this heathy, tail wagging black lab, and then at the ground crew. He looks back into the kennel again and says, " I knew you guys where good but I didn't know that you could bring my dog back to life!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos