Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

What Does A Guy Need To Do...

Fri Jun 25, 1999 8:09 am

How on earth does a person manage to get an interview, or even a telephone call for an interview with a major airline? I am a Canadian ATR pilot trying just about everything I can...Am looking for any suggestions that any of you might have. As a background, I have 3100 hours with approx. 300 hrs on Lears (35 and 55), as well as C-550. It seems that whatever time a person has...well...he/she needs more turbo-prop time, or heavy time, or jet time.

It appears that U.S. carriers are in a hiring mood, but not sure how or if I need permission to work in the United States. Any help or suggestions that anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

JETPILOT

R U Eligable For Employment ?

Fri Jun 25, 1999 10:10 am

I don't know what you have done already to try and get a position. Maybe you could let me know what you have done so far in the the job search.

Do you have a proffesional resume with a cover letter?

What have you done to get work permission in the U.S.?

Your age?

Flight time breakdown?

Lots more info would be very helpful in answering your question.

FLY777UAL

Airline Info.

Fri Jun 25, 1999 10:50 am

If you are eligable for US employment, try looking at the airlines' websites that you are interested in. Each of the airlines' websites are a wealth of information on current job openings, and where you should reply.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

FLY777UAL

JETPILOT

Web Sites Are Absolutely Not The Way To Go

Fri Jun 25, 1999 2:36 pm

You need to get Air Inc. professional pilot package. It gives you an increadible edge over someone who doesn't have it. If you want to actually land a job with a major the resume has to be tailored to perfection in standard airline format. It will tell you how to fill out the aplications in a way that will disclose no more information than needed.

The web sites only tell you who's hiring when. You need much more information on the company's hiring process than what's displayed on the web page.

Get some more info to me.

RE: What Does A Guy Need To Do...

Fri Jun 25, 1999 2:47 pm

If you want talk to Air Canada, profesionalism is definatly the way to go. I was just at a lecture by an Air Canada 747 management pilot a few weeks ago on this very subject! With the kind of time you have, you should at least be able to get an interview. If you want more info on Air Canada's hiring system, and their scoring system for aplicants, give me a shout!

AirwaysDC9

Fri Jun 25, 1999 8:37 pm

US Airways - Hiring 120 pilots/month indefinately
American - Hiring 80 pilots/month indefinately

These are the "big spenders" in US Airline hiring so far in 1999. Maybe that will give you a place to start.

Good luck!

Sat Jun 26, 1999 6:04 am

Some of the advise above is very good, but unless you are military or a minority you will probably need at least 5500 hours and at be least 30 years old to get hired by a major. There are exceptions but they are rare.

TAD

RE: R U Eligable For Employment ?

Sat Jun 26, 1999 4:18 pm

Here is the breakdown that you requested jetpilot...

Thanks for the posts on "what a guy needs to do".
I have a cover letter with resume that has been sent to all major carriers (well, most major carriers). I tried contacting the INS for the forms to work in the US, but nothing from there office. I have not been able to talk to anyone in the office...just voice prompts up to a message tape. I leave my message with phone number and forms requested. So far (9 months), no luck.

My age is 37 years old, mostly air ambulance work in a cheyenne III (1200 hrs). 1800 PIC time, some multi, but mostly single engine. All jet flying is into busy terminals...LA, San Fran, Miami, Denver, Wichita, San Diego...that sort of thing...

anyways, thanks for the help guys...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos