Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NWA No Seat Reservations?

Wed Jun 23, 1999 1:45 pm

Does NWA still not allow customers to reserve seats until they check in at the airport? And if they still do this, WHY?

Other than making people go to the airport much earlier and wait in line for seats they bought weeks ago what is the plus here?

Am I missing something?

Do other airlines do this?

L1011

RE: NWA No Seat Reservations?

Thu Jun 24, 1999 4:43 am

I have flown on Northwest a lot, and I have always been able to get my seat assignment way in advance. I know that on some airlines, after a certain number of seats have been assigned, they cut off advance seat assignments and require that you get them at the gate. My theory is that in case they have to substitute a smaller aircraft at the last minute, it will be easier to deny boarding to those who haven't been assigned a seat.
Does Northwest do this to you all the time?

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

DeltaShuttle

Thu Jun 24, 1999 4:49 am

I don't know what to tell you, since my experience with Northwest goes both ways. One time I was trying to get tickets from Detroit to San Francisco, and from Los Angeles to Detroit,(I was with a tour group from San Francisco to Los Angeles in case you're wondering why I didn't return to Detroit from San Francisco.) and I was able to reserve seats for the trip to San Francisco. However, when I tried to do the same for the segment from Los Angeles to Detroit, I was not allowed. I didn't protest at the time, but later I made another phone call to Northwest, and seat assignments were given to me. What does this mean? I believe it means that Northwest reserves seats, but for some wierd reason they don't tell you. During this call, Northwest also allowed me to move my seats.

I don't know the answer to your other questions.

Thu Jun 24, 1999 5:49 am

I've flown NWA several times and the last time I decided never again. My family, all 3 of us purchased our tickets in early may of 98' for departure one week before Christmas of 98' returning a week after Christmas. We did this to assure ourselves seats together. There were plenty of seats on the plane and we got advance seating assignments on a MD-80 derivitive, 2-3 seating. In November we got a letter from the airline stating that there was an aircraft change and that we would have to get new assignments at the airport. When arriving at the airport we were able to get our seats together out or our home city but, had to change planes in Detroit. The person at our home airport (cmi) said that the flight was oversold and that we would have to be assiged at the gate. When we arrived at Detroit, they had no seats together and at one point they even tried to bump 2 of us for a later flight and send one. To make a long story short, we finally had to go through three different, rude, supervisors to get on the flight and seats together, this was a DC-10!!!! And the statement that the last supervisor made when he finally put us togther was and I quote "What do you think this is movie seating or what! Its a plane you don't always get to sit together" I replied, thats why we bought our tickets seven months ago, his response was "Well you should have bought first class tickets then" and walked away. AS you can see this isn't acceptable service.

Thu Jun 24, 1999 8:53 am

You'll get better seats with the cattle-call boarding on Southwest planes!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos