Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Where Does Plane Wrecks Go After An Investigation?

Sat Jun 19, 1999 9:58 am

Imagine this scenario:
NTSB cleans up the wrekage of AA 1420 and takes it to a hangar to investigate it. The NTSB figures out what caused AA 1420 to crash. Case closed. What happens to the wrecked plane after?

UAPilot7

RE: Where Does Plane Wrecks Go After An Investigation?

Sat Jun 19, 1999 10:18 am

Depends how bad the damage is. In cases like AA1420, they will problebly sell it for spare parts. When the wreckage is to bad to re-use, well, lets just say we'll see lots of Coca-Cola cans the day after, LOL!

cedarjet

Sat Jun 19, 1999 10:19 am

My understanding is that the FAA have a facility somewhere where all plane wrecks go and are prodded by scientists and students for a few years (after the report has been published, this is for more general research into crashes than specific investigation). I spoke to someone who'd been there, and the USAir F28 that crashed on take-off at LaGuardia was next to a DC8 freighter that crashed at Indianapolis the same year, and a few others. Pretty nasty - he described a horrible smell of burnt plastic and plane, ugh. But I guess useful to the likes of the NTSB.

Cody

Sat Jun 19, 1999 1:02 pm

TWA 800 may come to Hagerstown Maryland if the NTSB chooses it as a site

Sun Jun 20, 1999 2:26 am

UAPilot7:
What part on AA 1420 was salvageable? Quite frankly, I would be upset if I find out that on an MD-80 flight the ailerons came from AA 1420. Also, I would be upset if the bike I ride everyday for exercise came from the remains of TWA 800.

Cedarjet:
Do you happen to know where to find additional information on this facility? I have never heard of it. Also, would you be able to find other parts of wrecked planes like the tail section from UAL 232 or the USAir 737 plane that was involved in that collsion at LAX?

UAPilot7

Your Answeres Firstclass!

Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:06 am

Well, I can actually answer both parts. They will not re-use the spilers, seeing how they are the main part of the investigation, but lets say the doors, undammaged seats, ect. I spend almost every day and night lookinmg for anything related to UA232. The tail section stayed at Souix City, IO for about 4 years until it was then used for spare parts. By the way, the bike and TWA 800 thing, the NTSB still has all the parts recovered of the plane, LOL! Anyway, I do not belive everyday people are allowed in the facility because it could be considered tampering with evidence. Sorry! I live right by Hagerstown, MD!!! I hope they do bring it down here!

RE: Lockerbie Wreckage

Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:19 am

The wreckage of Pan Am 103 still sits in a breakers yard over here some Where in Lincoln , UK

It`s been there since the investigation on what caused the crash ended.......every thing is there, cockpit the lot,..it cant be disposed of under scottish law until the trial of the suspects is over.............I might find out more details on this and go and try and take a peek

Daz

MK, UK

UAPilot7

DAZ777- A Question?

Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:22 am

So are people allowed to touch it?

RE:UApilot7

Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:26 am

Im not sure on that.......I know it sits in a field in the location I said. It`s an open breakers yard apparently......but Im not sure on the security the actual wreckage would have......I suppose it would be a private field or something.......everything is there alledegedly....im gonna find out more ill keep every one posted......

DAZ

UAPilot7

Daz777

Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:30 am

I would hate to be that guy! LOL. Keep us informed!

Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:38 am

all pertnant parts go to be tested and retained by the NTSB or returned to the owner. non pertnant parts get cannabalized by the owner. the scrap goes to the junk yard sad to say.

RE: Lockerbie

Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:40 am

At the end of a Lincolnshire country lane marked "private", weeds coil around 350 tonnes of white and blue metal strewn over a field which has become the graveyard of PanAm Flight 103, bombed out of the sky over Lockerbie. Moss covers the aircraft's cockpit, which is lying on its side among the debris, propped against one of the Boeing 747's giant engines. Nearby is part of a tail-fin. PanAm's livery is fading, but its blue globe logo remains visible. Under Scottish law the breaker's yard owner is not allowed to dispose of the wreckage until the case closes.

It was transported to the yard from an army base at Longtown near Carlisle by a fleet of eight trucks in 1989. The destination was not publicised to prevent sightseers gathering.Freight containers ring the field, which is around 1,000 square feet. In some places the debris is piled 10 feet high. Bushes and trees sprout between the pieces of silver grey aluminium wreckage.

The cockpit's interior is said to be largely intact, with instrument panels, dials and the pilot's joystick all in place. Rain and time have discoloured the exterior. Also in the field is a helicopter which has broken in half, as well as the fuselages of smaller aircraft.The breaker's yard owner was at first paid by insurers, but since PanAm went bankrupt the estimated £1,000 monthly bill has been paid by Dumfries and Galloway police.

This is an extact I got on the official report on the where abouts of the Plane now..

Darryl

UAPilot7

Lockerbie- How Many Died?

Sun Jun 20, 1999 5:23 am

How many people died in the Lockerbrie crash? If anyone did survive, what did they say the last moments were like? Any cabin announcments? And pre-warnnings?

cedarjet

To UAPilot7 And FirstClass!

Sun Jun 20, 1999 7:47 am

UAPilot7, it exploded and broke up in about three seconds. 259 people on board died, including a family (who I'd never met) who lived in my road, and a friend of mine's best man. It was a terribly tragedy here, since more than half of the pax were British. I flew through the exact airspace where it fell, we were at level 100 and it was incredibly moving and sad to think that this was the exact space where, ten years ago, the pieces fell in flames. I'll find out where that FAA facility is. And yes, I would say that pieces of UA232 and the USAir 737 are there (and the USAir 737 that skidded off at LaGuardia).

OPNLguy

Sun Jun 20, 1999 7:47 am

There's an outfit here in the Dallas area called Air Salvage where many wrecked remains end up, both airlien and GA. I don't have the number, but they're located in Lancaster TX, AC either 214 or more likely 972. They may also have a web site if you try the engine of your choice...

Mon Jun 21, 1999 2:28 am

first class, what do suppose happened to the remains of air canada in cvg and ozark in fsd??

Cody

RE: Ozark

Mon Jun 21, 1999 6:40 am

I wouldn't swear to it but I think the Ozark plane was rebuilt and sold to Republic Airlines. I don't know if Northwest still uses it or not.

RE: Ozark

Mon Jun 21, 1999 10:42 pm

you are correct! the point i was trying to make was the leftover parts could and are used anyplace. in this case the wing on the ozark a/c was destroyed, and the fusealage(sp) of the air canada a/c was destroyed. so they married the wings from air canada to the body of ozark to make a new airplane, still flying today.

mike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos