Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SheikhDjibouti
Topic Author

More "Quoted" notifications than before; Glitch?

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Historically I recall receiving notifications that I had been quoted, only when someone effectively clicked on the "reply to this post button" linked to a post originating from me.

Within the last week (month?) I seem to be receiving "quoted by" notifications when I am being indirectly quoted.
That is to say, person A is responding to a post from person B, who has in turn quoted something I (person C) wrote.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it leads to the question "how far does this go"?

Would I still receive a notification if I was "person Z", quoted, and re-quoted 26 times over?

Or is this a glitch?

Most recent example;
Note; I have un-stacked the nested quotes to make the original timeline more understandable.
Notification (1); Quoted by ORDfan101 in thread.....

timh4000 wrote:
Blah, blah, blah,.... this is BLACK

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
I disagree, I see it as WHITE

timh4000 wrote:
I still think it is BLACK

Then ORDfan101 jumps in with
ORDfan101 wrote:
Agreed we are seen as evil on this site

The problem is this; who is he agreeing with? Who are "we"? Who are seen as "evil"?
He was clearly directly quoting timh4000, who was indirectly quoting me, who was in turn quoting timh4000.

But the notification states he was quoting me. which implies he was responding to, (and presumably agreeing with...) me!

This leads to confusion.

ORDfan101

Re: More "Quoted" notifications than before; Glitch?

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:08 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Historically I recall receiving notifications that I had been quoted, only when someone effectively clicked on the "reply to this post button" linked to a post originating from me.

Within the last week (month?) I seem to be receiving "quoted by" notifications when I am being indirectly quoted.
That is to say, person A is responding to a post from person B, who has in turn quoted something I (person C) wrote.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it leads to the question "how far does this go"?

Would I still receive a notification if I was "person Z", quoted, and re-quoted 26 times over?

Or is this a glitch?

Most recent example;
Note; I have un-stacked the nested quotes to make the original timeline more understandable.
Notification (1); Quoted by ORDfan101 in thread.....

timh4000 wrote:
Blah, blah, blah,.... this is BLACK

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
I disagree, I see it as WHITE

timh4000 wrote:
I still think it is BLACK

Then ORDfan101 jumps in with
ORDfan101 wrote:
Agreed we are seen as evil on this site

The problem is this; who is he agreeing with? Who are "we"? Who are seen as "evil"?
He was clearly directly quoting timh4000, who was indirectly quoting me, who was in turn quoting timh4000.

But the notification states he was quoting me. which implies he was responding to, (and presumably agreeing with...) me!

This leads to confusion.

i believe i clicked the "quote button" on yours accidentally, I was trying to click on a different one. Sorry man!

qf789

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Or is this a glitch?

You will receive a notification for

1. Someone replies to your post

2. Another user who quotes the replier of your post if your post is not removed from the quoted section

This will cycle through a few times, 3-4 from memory so at any particular time you should receive that many notifications.

Ultimately some users will quote the whole thing while others will only quote what they are replying to, as a result you may receive notifications from time to time even if they are not directly responding to your post

timh4000

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 am

I never wrote any of that....

SheikhDjibouti
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am

I guess I had better stop quoting people on these boards; it gets you into all kinds of trouble. :lol:

Besides, there are plenty of lazy (or are they astute/devious?) posters out there who do not click on the "reply to" button at all - and in that way you don't automatically receive any notification that you have just been flamed...… :roll:

What a strange world we are living in.

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Happened to me as well. Somehow I subscribed to a thread, which I never did intentionally. The only possibility is I clicked some unknown icon on Tapatalk.