compensateme
Topic Author

Moderator harassing me for flagging posts

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:55 pm

I noticed that when I attempt to do my due dillegence and flag posts that are clearly off-topic / flame bait / etc. and let users know they’re taking threads off the rails, I seem to end up on the radar of a specific moderator - the only one who’s ever issued me warnings and suspensions. I’m sorry, but I find it hard to believe this is a coincidence, especially after a couple years ago when I called out another then-moderator who was consistently violating the ToS and this specific moderator (that I’m complaining about) let me know it was inappropriate to complain about staff. Really? I thought the purpose of a volunteer committee was to keep the forums clean, not to appease one’s ego. Reality is, if you’re violating the ToS, regardless of who you are, you should be punished. I applaud eveybody who donates their time to this community, whether it’s moderators or users like myself flagging posts to keep it clean. I know what I bill for my time at my day job ;).

But it’s disheartening to watch those who care about the community get punished because somebody’s having an ego trip. From this day forward, I will no longer flag posts - let the kids play in the sandbox and have their fun.
Nobody cares what your next flight is...

atcsundevil

Re: Moderator harassing me for flagging posts

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am

compensateme wrote:
I noticed that when I attempt to do my due dillegence and flag posts that are clearly off-topic / flame bait / etc. and let users know they’re taking threads off the rails, I seem to end up on the radar of a specific moderator - the only one who’s ever issued me warnings and suspensions. I’m sorry, but I find it hard to believe this is a coincidence, especially after a couple years ago when I called out another then-moderator who was consistently violating the ToS and this specific moderator (that I’m complaining about) let me know it was inappropriate to complain about staff. Really? I thought the purpose of a volunteer committee was to keep the forums clean, not to appease one’s ego. Reality is, if you’re violating the ToS, regardless of who you are, you should be punished. I applaud eveybody who donates their time to this community, whether it’s moderators or users like myself flagging posts to keep it clean. I know what I bill for my time at my day job ;).

But it’s disheartening to watch those who care about the community get punished because somebody’s having an ego trip. From this day forward, I will no longer flag posts - let the kids play in the sandbox and have their fun.

First of all, we would much prefer that you email us to discuss issues like this. That way, the moderator(s) involved can have a more open discussion with you.

All I will say is that you've been warned or banned by more than one moderator; if you email us, I can provide more detail. We only have about five or six active moderators right now, so it's not any moderator picking on you, there just aren't many of us.

The issue has never been with your reporting posts, and I encourage you and all users to continue to do so. The issue has been the comments you've made to specific users, either inciting problems or trolling specific users (I'm sure you have an idea of whom I'm referring). That's precisely the reason for our role on this forum is to ensure an orderly, respectful atmosphere, and to penalize those who run afoul of that. It's not personal, we're just trying to keep threads from turning into dumpster fires.

As I said, we can be more specific through email, because we don't discuss specifics in an open forum. Users who report posts don't end up on our radar unless the tool is clearly being used in a retaliatory fashion; I haven't gotten this impression from your reporting, but it doesn't absolve you of the transgressions made in your own posts. I urge you not to conflate those two things; we aren't trying to punish you for helping the forum, but we can't overlook things detrimental to the forum.