bhxalex
Topic Author

Out of control number of ridiculous, total fantasy, duplicate & self answering threads recently

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:12 am

Hi all,

I've been browsing these forums as a non-member for the best part of a decade, and never in that time have I seen so many ridiculous, duplicate and self answering questions being asked on the forum as I've seen in the past week.

I understand some people have genuine queries and want to understand things better but it's getting out of control. The amount of 'Why didn't X airline order X aircraft?' 'What if X long defunct airline merged with Y airline or what would happen if they had X aircraft built 20 years after they went bust?' And 'Why don't X airline fly to X airport?' Is getting ridiculous.

I've loved reading these forums since I was kid, and airliners.net had undoubtedly fuelled my love of aviation and impacted my career path, now it's getting harder and harder to find good quality topics and discussions. In my book Airliners was the best aviation related forum out there, but these days I'm not so sure.

Is there any way these sorts of posts can be tidied up or moved into a separate area specifically for them? So they don't clutter the other forums.

I wish I was joining under better circumstances, but I'm looking forward to being part of the community after so long as an outsider.

Cheers!

avier

Re: Out of control number of ridiculous, total fantasy, duplicate & self answering threads recently

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:41 am

Feels like there are many ~10yr olds on a.net. And they have an aviation fantasy bubble, and hence ask all those questions with If , Why, Would, Will, Why not..etc type questions. Some might make sense but many don't and are just like someones fantasy they expect to see in the real world.

And most of those type of questions are American centric, something like what if Eastern did this? OR If Pan am did that? And blah blah.

MIflyer12

Re: Out of control number of ridiculous, total fantasy, duplicate & self answering threads recently

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:04 am

The Mods have the tools for this. They could block five users and eliminate 70% of the problem, and then many of the rest would get with the program.

It's not true that all posts are good posts. The value of a.net -- call it signal to noise ratio -- has declined precipitously.

avier

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 am

Like an eg. of a current thread active now like that is :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1413907

Over the last decade, there have been hundreds of threads on such alternative merger theories, and they never seem to end.
What's happened has already happened. Going back in time and imagining what if something else had happened is like what if my mum didn't sleep with my dad that night and I wasn't conceived type of questions.

TheEuphorian

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:46 am

Then there's this:
Airline X is launching flights to [Very random airport in the U.S]- 999999 views 9999 comments
Compared to anything else:
28 views 2 comments

bhxalex
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:47 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
Then there's this:
Airline X is launching flights to [Very random airport in the U.S]- 999999 views 9999 comments
28 views 2 comments

It does puzzle me how a topic on one of the US3, launching a few months of Saturday flights to some tiny regional airport with a 50 seater, can get more of a response than some new Intercontinental routes elsewhere in the world.

keesje

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:56 am

Maybe we should bring back KROC's Shaft, it worked

:scratchchin:
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

upperdeckfan

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm

bhxalex wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Then there's this:
28 views 2 comments

It does puzzle me how a topic on one of the US3, launching a few months of Saturday flights to some tiny regional airport with a 50 seater, can get more of a response than some new Intercontinental routes elsewhere in the world.

Weel guys, if that happens is because there are much more US based airnetters, give it or take it on an open community like this.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,
E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3

jumbojet

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:18 pm

the answer is quite simple. if you don't like the thread, don't open it. The mods, as I would know, do a pretty good job of policing inappropriate threads/posts.

klm617

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 pm

This forum is filled with ego until everybody just relaxes and stop taking things personally we can expect more of the same. I love how the fanboys here run to support their favorite airlines when someone posts negativity about said airline. Guess what they don't need your help in defending them as they are already perfectly healthy corporations without your support.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

jumbojet

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 pm

klm617 wrote:
This forum is filled with ego until everybody just relaxes and stop taking things personally we can expect more of the same..

hell will freeze over before that happens. In fact, you could make the argument that this is exactly one of those 'threads'.

DALCE

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Main issue is that the forum is now free of charge and this resulted in an overall downdrop in forum-quality. However every user can choose which topic to read/respond so these 'stupid' question can be avoided by simply not opening them and save yourself from the irritation.
As a forum moderator on a different forum I know how hard it is to moderate, and that it's not possible to satisfy everone's needs. Kudo's to the mods here in keeping the forum as good as it is.
I did prefer the paywall era, but that's done and gone.
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,CS3,E75,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

neutrino

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:56 pm

The "what if" & "why do" et al threadstarters are mainly the "monkey see, monkey do" crowd who do not know what else to do to stamp their self-presumed 5 seconds of fame.
All these and other frivolous posts started proliferating AFTER A.net made away with paid membership about 3(?) years ago.
When the floodgates were thrown open to one and all, all manners of characters poured in.
Sure, there are much welcomed quality posters among them but these are in the minority.
The Pandora's Box had been opened and we have to live with what's on the plate, for better or for worse.
C'est la vie.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:37 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
bhxalex wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
Then there's this:
28 views 2 comments

Weel guys, if that happens is because there are much more US based airnetters, give it or take it on an open community like this.

Consider that this forum is in English, it's going to attract people that speak English more no matter what. US being the largest mainly (de facto) English speaking nation in the world = more people from US are going to post here compare to people from other countries. Just as an example, you're not going to see threads like "AA starting DLH-ORD" getting a ton of replies in CARNOC (The main Chinese aviation forum in mainland China), but they're going to care about, let say, Colorful Guizhou Airlines starting LZO-SJW (Yes, the route exist...).

As for the "fantasy" thread - mods lately have been (somewhat rightfully) moving them to "Travel, Polls & Preferences" section (Which is where they belong IMO, as it's suppose to be the forum for "Opinion-based discussions" compare to "Discussions about factual events" that CivAv section is designated for). Mods can't see every single thing, though. Report button works (and mods are usually fairly quick from my personal experience), but people still have to report those threads in the first place.

P.S. For those suggesting paywall, well, those "why does (insert airlines here) doesn't fly to (insert random airport here)" threads had existed since paywall era. Trust me, just Google search some common topics and you find threads from 10 years back. #10YearsChallenge :duck:

chepos

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:13 pm

I found the far left commentary silly. That being said I consider the “what if” threads a bit ridiculous and out of hand. I just ignore them but they seem to be at an all time high.
Fly the Flag!!!!

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:29 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:
Long time reader of a.net. The users are way more unpleasant, the mods turn a blind eye to hate from far left supporters and the posts are more fanciful than ever.

Why didn’t X order the Y. What would have happened if A bought the B.

Exactly what is a far left supporter? I agree these what if threads are annoying, but why did you find it necessary to make this political snarky comment?

chepos wrote:
I found the far left commentary silly. That being said I consider the “what if” threads a bit ridiculous and out of hand. I just ignore them but they seem to be at an all time high.

I found that far left comment silly myself also. I'm certainly no "right wing" and mods have certainly deleted my posts before.

As for those "what if" threads - it didn't help that there are 20x "Why does (insert airline here) not brought the 748i" that was started in a day when the answer is almost always "Because 77W does the same exact job". :white: :white:

Exeiowa

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:42 pm

You don't have to read is true, but you have to wade past a lot of stuff to get to what you might want to see. Another forum I frequent for a hobby had a contentious issue that no one would ever come to agree over so they just stickied a thread and corralled all discussion of such into place, and kept it there. A little of that is not a bad thing. Pleasant forum to use are ones which are well moderated.

kitplane01

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm not a five year old, and I like many of the "what-if" posts. It educates both "why was that bad idea" and "look at the choices/decision making leaders had".

These posts often discuss the big picture (i.E. Why did Northwest merge with Delta and not someone else). It's a refreshing difference from "Let's talk about door placement on the 737-500."

You don't have to read them, but some of them are quite educational.

atcsundevil

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Just to address some of the comments made here..

I realize that a large number of these similar, seemingly ridiculous threads is annoying. It isn't our place to decide what is discussed and what isn't. Unless we decide that a user is purposely spamming or trolling the forum, we generally let these threads stand. I know that's not an answer that some people will like, but it's not our place.

I would recommend just ignoring these threads if you aren't interested. The forum goes through phases, and this is just another phase; they'll fall off the first page soon enough.

We fully realize that many people attribute lower quality posting to the lack of paid membership. We moderators aren't blind to the goings-on here. While we do generally agree with this sentiment, it seems to imply that the site was exponentially better in terms of quality while the site had paid memberships, which isn't entirely accurate. We have made several appeals to the powers that be over the past couple of years to bring back paid memberships, but it isn't going to happen.

As always, we encourage users to report any posts or threads needing our attention so that we can review them.

treetreeseven

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:50 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
The Mods have the tools for this. They could block five users and eliminate 70% of the problem, and then many of the rest would get with the program.

It's not true that all posts are good posts. The value of a.net -- call it signal to noise ratio -- has declined precipitously.

It is if you're VerticalScope and only care about ad revenue.

compensateme

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Just to address some of the comments made here..

I realize that a large number of these similar, seemingly ridiculous threads is annoying. It isn't our place to decide what is discussed and what isn't. Unless we decide that a user is purposely spamming or trolling the forum, we generally let these threads stand. I know that's not an answer that some people will like, but it's not our place.

I would recommend just ignoring these threads if you aren't interested. The forum goes through phases, and this is just another phase; they'll fall off the first page soon enough.

We fully realize that many people attribute lower quality posting to the lack of paid membership. We moderators aren't blind to the goings-on here. While we do generally agree with this sentiment, it seems to imply that the site was exponentially better in terms of quality while the site had paid memberships, which isn't entirely accurate. We have made several appeals to the powers that be over the past couple of years to bring back paid memberships, but it isn't going to happen.

As always, we encourage users to report any posts or threads needing our attention so that we can review them.

Your posting is largely a departure from past prescient. This website had a solid history in cleansing the forums of low quality postings, and immediately locking those that are of topics that had been beaten to death — even before it was a paysite. Who remembers Hepkat? :)

When low quality threads clutter the fourms, users typically spend less time here — and remember, many of these users aren’t necessarily active forum participants. Perhaps the solution is to create a new forum — titles something with “Ideas” in it —- where all the ‘what would Eastern’s fleet look like today,’ ‘what if NYC consolidated to a single airport connected by high speed rail,’ and ‘what if WN had merged with UA’ belong. But the mods still need to be more proactive in locking threads that have been beaten to death — we really don’t need another thread asking why PA failed, etc.

I’ll also point out that we often see a large number of work related postings; for example, employees at UA complaining that the cost of a doctor’s visit went up $5. These have absolutely NOTHING to do with civil aviation and there’s more appropriate venues for them (other boards). Again, what was once deleted is now accepted as the norm.
Nobody cares what your next flight is...

EvanWSFO

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:57 am

^^^^^ This. Despite the fact my avatar shows I've been on here around a year, it's been close to 15. Getting locked out of a gmail account by a sneaky password manager had me start over everything from scratch (that really sucked) I do agree the threads can be annoying. OTOH, when I fell in love with airlines/airliners back in the stone age, I didn't have much access to learning about the industry aside the timetables my brother who worked for TWA would collect and mailto me. I can see some younger members desire to learn, but I note many of the what if threads come from just a couple of users.

Berevoff

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:05 am

treetreeseven wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

It is if you're VerticalScope and only care about ad revenue.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Airliners.net is just a single box in an excel spreadsheet. Best thing you can do is install an ad blocker and deny them any revenue.

stlgph

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:00 am

The bigger question is how do many people here function in society off the computer?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

atcsundevil

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:40 pm

compensateme wrote:
Your posting is largely a departure from past prescient. This website had a solid history in cleansing the forums of low quality postings, and immediately locking those that are of topics that had been beaten to death — even before it was a paysite.

What you're referring to and what's being discussed are two totally different things.

What's being discussed are a rash of similar topics being created, to the annoyance of some (e.g. "Why didn't Airline A buy Airplane B?", "Why didn't Airline C buy Airplane D?, etc.). These have never, to my knowledge, been removed or locked without cause.

What you're referring to is thread topics that come up so frequently that it drives everyone crazy (e.g." Why isn't the 757 still in production?"). We do generally lock those, and we always have. When you refer to "low quality posts", that would imply threads that are started with little or no user commentary, very little effort, etc. Not only do we usually lock them, but we often delete them. That also hasn't changed.

The reason we don't lock/delete the similar discussions is because they're usually topics that haven't been discussed previously on this site. That's what I mean when I say it's not our place to decide what's discussed here. Yes, we still remove the annoying, repetitive topics, but we aren't going to remove legitimate threads that haven't been previously discussed, unless we decide the user is trying to troll the forum, which does happen on occasion.

I've been on this site for as long as you have, and as far as I can tell, I haven't moderated it any differently than was done when I first joined...not on this topic, anyway.

Berevoff wrote:
Best thing you can do is install an ad blocker

We've been encouraging users to do this for years. There are often annoying ads and pop-ups definitely outside of our control (I think it's even outside of VS's control too?), so the best thing that users can do is install an ad blocker. It's always worked well for me.

stlgph wrote:
The bigger question is how do many people here function in society off the computer?

What is this "society" you speak of? :shock:

FlyCaledonian

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Maybe a couple of new sub-forums would be useful - routes/timetables, airline news (pinned, alphabetical order for major carriers) and history/nostalgia. I participate in another transport forum that has a these sub-forums and it does help divert some of the more "specialist" topics out of the main news sections. The OAG threads are obviously popular but serve a niche at the same time.

Whilst I skip over the threads I don't want to open it is equally the case that if I skip a couple of days I can be six pages in and still not caught up. So I tend to miss some topics I might want to post on.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

USPIT10L

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:46 pm

BTW, thanks for locking that ungodly duplicate thread on JFK and a UA hub.....it's as if United Airline had a kid and they both ask the same questions over and over, probably expecting a different answer wach time.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

KICT

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:14 am

Just dump these "junk" threads where they belong, into the Travel Polls black hole.
People are saying. Believe me.

TVNWZ

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Bring Pep back as a moderator. That’ll do it.
:box: