maint123
Topic Author

Threat of ban for addressing a low quality post by a moderator

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:52 am

Hi all,
All sites have written rules and unwritten ones.
My interest in this site arose due to the lion air disaster.
But it was disappointing to see that from the first page of the lion air thread, people here were indulging in blatant vilification of lion air, within hours of the crash. It was like a witch hunt on lion air and attempts to absolve Boeing of any responsibility.
This was disappointing for me as a experienced maintenance guy as I had assumed this would not be another youtube comment section. But the mods were conspicuous by their absence.

The written rules for posting are already their for newcomers reading pleasure but I will give the unwritten ones to survive.
1. Be a Boeing fanboy.
2. Be anti airbus.
3. All american companies are great and infallible.
4. Mods give comments in their personal capacity using mod nicks.
5. Casual racism against the non western aerospace sector is welcome.

Discuss.

FlyRow

Re: Threat of ban for addressing a low quality post by a moderator

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:57 am

Disagree.

Yes there are a huge amount of fanboys, both ways and I have my deal of struggles with "american bias" on this site. However, they might read a thread about a small EU/asian airline and think.. what are they talking about.

There is no big plot by the website against non-american (boeing and whatever) posters. Just a difference in opinion.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

Bricktop

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 am

Since you have been here for a whole month and seem to be basing your thoughts on one thread, it's certainly an interesting perspective. Narrow but interesting.

Before this thread is moved, locked or deleted let me say as an American that I think you're wrong on counts one, two and three. There is ridiculous fanboyism here for Airbus also. And no-one here would ever criticize P&W would they?

Try a bigger sample size before stirring the pot.

b747400erf

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:16 am

6. obnoxious political statements in your signature are acceptable as long as they are pro conservative ideology

zeke

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:16 am

This should be in sure related forum not here
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

smartplane

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:19 am

FlyRow wrote:
Disagree.

Yes there are a huge amount of fanboys, both ways and I have my deal of struggles with "american bias" on this site. However, they might read a thread about a small EU/asian airline and think.. what are they talking about.

There is no big plot by the website against non-american (boeing and whatever) posters. Just a difference in opinion.

As long as moderators are NEUTRAL, especially personal posts, just have to accept poster bias, or visit elsewhere.

Some threads have disappeared without trace or explanation in the last month, which isn't satisfactory.

alfa164

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:26 am

7. Pointing out the obvious Russian trolls when they infiltrate a topic ... and they just can't stand to be called out for who they are.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

keesje

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:42 am

the lion air thread, people here were indulging in blatant vilification of lion air, within hours of the crash. It was like a witch hunt on lion air and attempts to absolve Boeing of any responsibility.

I noticed that to. Lion Air took hits immediately and it couldn't be the 737, its teack tecord proved that. When complications showed up, nobody looked back.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

StTim

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:50 am

Agree with some of this. There is an inherent pro US bias on here which is frustrating.

Also agree this isn’t the right forum but at least it gets seen here.

Gonzalo

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:14 am

Being a South American, with 45 years in my back ( grumpy old guy ), and more than 13 years reading and writing here, I can say the original poster is completely wrong. In fact, this thread should be removed to the correct section of the site or just deleted. We are here in Civil Aviation to talk about CIVIL AVIATION.
So, OP, there are other sections in this very same site to outcry your personal traumas about this cruel and unfair life.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

Apprentice

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:19 am

Disagree. In fact if You post info that is not or cannot be verified immediately or You bash a company w/o probe, your post will be deleted!

Sincerely,
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

gokmengs

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:29 am

maint123 wrote:
Hi all,
But it was disappointing to see that from the first page of the lion air thread, people here were indulging in blatant vilification of lion air, within hours of the crash. It was like a witch hunt on lion air and attempts to absolve Boeing of any responsibility.
This was disappointing for me as a experienced maintenance guy as I had assumed this would not be another youtube comment section. But the mods were conspicuous by their absence.

The written rules for posting are already their for newcomers reading pleasure but I will give the unwritten ones to survive.
1. Be a Boeing fanboy.
2. Be anti airbus.

Discuss.

Well given you base your whole opinion on one thread and posted this here instead of site related I'm gonna say you are wrong on generalizing your opinion.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am

The OP has an interesting point... and if all you did was look at the Lion Air crash thread I can see how they came to those conclusions.

A wider reading will reveal post involving Airbus aircraft where similar conclusions would be drawn that Airbus could do no wrong and Europe superiority.

Politics and racism do exist here (in many forms) - as this is a public forum; and the reality is that various people are political (in different directions) and some people are racist (and sexist too).

My personal beef is with posters who appear to be shills for certain things and who continue to raise "items" which are not real issues and well understood; even after they have been pushed into corners and admitted that there was nothing technically wrong with the "item/issue"; that they just did not personally like it. I personally believe discussions about Russian aircraft/capabilities and Program Accounting are the most easily identified areas for this kind of poster.

To the OP. I suggest you read wider on various subjects here on A-net.

Thank you for raising your point for discussion; and have a great day,

Apprentice

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:42 am

Hi (and 2): Yesterday I published a Lead about an European operator buying 2ea airlines and a Maintenance provider from USA.
As I can not publish sources, (it is not in the news yet). I said “rumor”.
I even got answers, with some new for me info. But lead was deleted and I do not received even an email w/ explanation..
It’s not a first time this happen to me. Later, if new will be confirmed , result will be our members are ones of the worst to know about CA in this world! By the way, this same info is flowing in another CA European Forum...
It had happened, I repeat, and my problem is that censors are not aviation profesionals must of the time...
May be is time to open a Chat for license aircraft professionals, open to the public w/o censorship?

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

dtw2hyd

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:54 am

This has nothing to do with America, this site is just a low-rated sanctuary for shills and sock puppets. If you cross paths with one of those you will be banned in 30 seconds. Check Alexa ratings of a.net, dropped more than AI's market share and 9W's cash-on-hand, both topics actively promoted here.

I am surprised this thread survived for so long, a bunch is going to get banned. Don't worry if you get banned, there are other sites with relatively more facts.

jeffrey0032j

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 am

Quite the opposite, I find the Airbus camp much more vicious. The Airbus camp likes to pretend that they are righteous and innocent while taunting and baiting Boeing fans to post anti-Airbus posts so that they can start a multi page flamewar that always results in Airbus fans reinforcing their superiority complex and Boeing fans end up looking like bullies when they are in fact the victims.

An example would be a certain user proposing imaginary planes from both manufacturers that almost always end up in an "Airbus can do better than Boeing in any case" outcome.

The Boeing camp may be loud and somewhat rude, but rarely engages in that kind of disgusting manipulative behaviour as compared to the Airbus camp, partly because the Boeing camp has gone through a stage where Boeing was losing out in the late 2000s/early 2010s, and has come to accept that Boeing is not flawless, and there are gaps in the Boeing lineup.

stratclub

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:21 pm

This is a public forum. Get over yourself.

Momo1435

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:29 pm

This kind of thread is not going to work.

Revelation

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Since you have been here for a whole month and seem to be basing your thoughts on one thread, it's certainly an interesting perspective. Narrow but interesting.

Before this thread is moved, locked or deleted let me say as an American that I think you're wrong on counts one, two and three. There is ridiculous fanboyism here for Airbus also. And no-one here would ever criticize P&W would they?

Try a bigger sample size before stirring the pot.

Indeed.

I read the first few pages and saw it would be a slag fest so I stopped following it.

A key skill here is to sample the signal to noise level of a thread, and when you find no signal, move on.

Here we are, weeks later, and one of the key pieces of the plot, the voice recorder, mysteriously hasn't been found, yet people pound their chest because they've figured it all out.

Just say no.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Ziyulu

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm

This is what I've noticed with the culture of Airliners.net:
- Don't say anything bad about North American carriers
- Don't say anything bad about top carriers in the world such as Singapore Airlines
- Anything out of the ordinary did not happen even if you witnessed it yourself
- No good sense of humor
- Bash Chinese airlines even though they have good service

L410Turbolet

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:46 pm

The last thing this forum needs is more heavy-handed moderation. We've been through that before. It's just a discussion forum. Nothing else.

Ufsatp

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:50 pm

maint123 wrote:

1. Be a Boeing fanboy.
2. Be anti airbus.

You and I must be reading a different forum.

placeholder

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:55 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
The last thing this forum needs is more heavy-handed moderation. We've been through that before. It's just a discussion forum. Nothing else.

Exactly this, i havent been posting a lot since ive been trying actively to engage in Topics im interested in. Yet im an avid Forum Reader for the past 10 Years or so and i can remember much crazier times than what people are seeing right now i guess.

Anyways folks, have good New Year and hope we'll discuss interesting topics in the next Year without getting mad at People for having another Opinion than the one some has himself.

Best regards
Old Eurowings 1993 until 2010, gone but never forgotten !

Flown on: A319/320/321, A300, A310, A342/343/346, A380, DC10, MD-11, MD-82/83, B733/734/735/738, B752/753, B742/744, RJ85/100, ATR-42/72. DHC8-1/2/3/4, L410, Twin Otter

NDiesel

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 pm

I have to disagree with the opening post. I've read topics on this site for 15 years and I greatly appreciate everything I've learned on A.net. Some like Boeing. Some like Airbus. Some of us like both. And as for point 3 on your list:

maint123 wrote:

Allegiant?
Delta MD-11 JFK-CDG - Upon sunrise I fell in love with aviation

Wednesdayite

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Have to say, I welcome A-Net’s policy of deleting rumors that can’t be verified.

I help moderate one of the largest U.K. soccer forums and that site has the opposite policy. Rumors are welcomed (it drives traffic and ad revenue). I totally understand why the soccer forum acts the way it does, but it results in dozens of nonsense threads being started each and every day.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77. CR2/7. ER145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

FriscoHeavy

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:23 pm

maint123 wrote:
Hi all,

1. Be a Boeing fanboy.
2. Be anti airbus.

Discuss.

You are such a drama queen and your observations are completely wrong.

People on this forum bash American airlines every day, are pro-Airbus and anti-Boeing, etc.

There is no ‘racism’ against non-western sectors. You are just straight up making things up and spewings fibs.

I politely suggest this isn’t the right forum for you.

I have my own issues with the site, but certainly none of the things you stated. I’ve been on this site using various usernames for the past 15 years.
Whatever

RyanairGuru

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:39 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Check Alexa ratings of a.net, dropped more than AI's market share and 9W's cash-on-hand

Oh. My. God. You're not wrong are you!!!

I have a lot of opinions on why this website is not as good as it once was, but I'm still shocked to see traffic collapse that quickly. What's the reason for that?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

dtw2hyd

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 pm

Take away for 2018.

Paid snowflakes melt faster, insult others and report posts instantly. Don't confuse them for fanboys who may argue/debate without any harm.

Wish you all a happy new year. See you next year if my account is still active.

zakuivcustom

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:46 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
This is what I've noticed with the culture of Airliners.net:
- Don't say anything bad about North American carriers
- Don't say anything bad about top carriers in the world such as Singapore Airlines
- Anything out of the ordinary did not happen even if you witnessed it yourself
- No good sense of humor
- Bash Chinese airlines even though they have good service

Nah...just don’t bash DL. Bashing AA and UA is fine, along with the gajillion armchair CEO who think they can run B6/AS better. :stirthepot:

For 2nd point - just bc tons of people here never even fly SQ or CX or EK, and any that does fly in premium.

As for Chinese airlines - well, it is not easy to shred reputations. They improved, but again, it is a matter of how many people here actually flew with them constantly anyway?

P.S. A vs B is seriously nothing new. Those exist even back in paid membership days.
P.S. And don’t think for a minute that things are that much rosier in paid membership days - they are not.

mjoelnir

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:52 pm

I have a good example for the bias here. Voicing the opinion that people not able to talk English should not travel, is perfectly OK. Talking about people being uneducated, because they do not speak at least a second language, is flame bait when you include native English speakers.

F27500

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Maybe Lion Air's shady safety record had something to do with it ...

https://aviation-safety.net/database/db ... desc&kind=%&cat=%&page=1&field=Operatorkey&var=5758

williaminsd

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:03 pm

maint123 wrote:
Hi all,

1. Be a Boeing fanboy.
2. Be anti airbus.

Discuss.

Quit whining...

airbazar

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:14 pm

Wednesdayite wrote:
Have to say, I welcome A-Net’s policy of deleting rumors that can’t be verified.

If it can be verified it wouldn't be a rumor wouldn't it? :confused:
I don't mind rumors as long as the poster states it as such. Over time some people here have gained a very good reputation for their rumors which have shown a high percentage of being true.

atcsundevil

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Since this thread was started with less-than-constructive intentions, it's going to be locked.

I think enough uses who have been around for a while know that there are plenty of Boeing and Airbus fanboys, and that American companies get their fair share of shade.

As for the moderation, we're volunteers, and we don't have the ability to switch between usernames. It should be fairly clear when we're posting as moderators and posting as users. Even if we did switch usernames, what difference would that make? Some of you would still think we're biased.

As for "casual racism".. There are many racist comments made on this site, many of which are dealt with swiftly when brought to our attention. Those that aren't dealt with, aren't brought to our attention. We can't act on things without people reporting comments. In any case, not something we take casually or lightly. However, there are a lot of users on this site who take criticism of their country as equating to racism. Perhaps it's a different cultural definition, but we don't see them as being the same thing. If you can't stand your country's airlines or policies being fairly criticized in the same manner that we allow any country's airlines or policies to be criticized, then perhaps this isn't the forum for you.