N415XJ
Topic Author

Unifying airline/aircraft/airport names in photo search

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before or is a known issue- I rarely come to this section of the forum and search didn't come up with anything.

Anyway, I find searching the photo db more awkward than it needs to be. It seems that there are multiple different names for the same airline, type of aircraft, or airport. For example, a search for 'Royal Air Maroc' returns only 4 images, whereas a search for 'Royal Air Maroc - RAM' returns all the images of Royal Air Maroc aircraft on the site. In this specific instance there is also 'Royal Air Maroc Express' and the misspelled 'Royal Air Maroc Epress'. One would think that you could cover all your bases by adding all the variations of the name in the search box, but doing so returns 'no results'. I'm not sure if this is a bug in the search function or me misunderstanding the purpose of adding multiple terms to an airline search.

An example with airports is that there are about 2,000 results for 'Frankfurt (FRA/ EDDF), whereas there are 75,000 for 'Frankfurt Am Main (Rhein-Main AB) (FRA/EDDF/FRF)'

Finally, an example with aircraft is that searching 'Canadair CRJ-100/200' returns about 682 results, but 'Bombardier CRJ-100/200/Challenger 850....' returns nearly 2,000. In this case, I initially thought that 'Canadair' was reserved for older CRJs made before the merger with Bombardier, but the presence of 'Canadair CRJ-900' and the age of the planes in the pictures leads me to believe that the terms are simply being conflated.

In any case, these are only three examples of several I've experienced. I'm wondering if this can be fixed somehow? Note that this isn't a HUGE issue, but can be annoying when I set up a search only to have it return 0 results and I have to figure out what search parameter caused the issue. Or, sometimes I might only be seeing a small portion of the shots featuring a particular airline/aircraft/airport and not know it.

I have no idea how this site operates so I don't know if this would be easy to fix, if it's fixable at all. Just felt I'd bring attention to this.

gbrazil

Re: Unifying airline/aircraft/airport names in photo search

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 pm

This is a major issue for me too. This should be addressed ASAP. Another example is the confusion with airline names—specifically here in Brazil, we have an awkward situation regarding TAM/LATAM, because the airline's name officially changed on May 5, 2016, but most planes still sport the old livery. I believe the site could help standardizing that, too.
A318 A319 A320 A321 A330 ATR 72 737 767 777 E-175 E-190 E-195 F-100

Miguel1982
Head Screener

Re: Unifying airline/aircraft/airport names in photo search

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Unification / Standarization of duplicated entries is high on the priority list, but at this point is just not possible for the editors to do such batch processing. As soon as the tools are ready - no idea when - I am sure they will clean up duplicates as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
Miguel