dutchspotter1
Topic Author

Is Airliners.net too much airliner-oriented?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:30 am

I am curious what you think about this statement. Whereas the majority of the uploaded photos does feature airliners (this applies to my own photos as well), it feels to me like other aspects of aviation are under-exposed, in particular Business Aviation and General Aviation and to a lesser extent Military Aviation.
For example, when I look at the A.net Facebook page, I can hardly find any photos that fall in the BA/GA category. And about half of the photos that get posted here, consist of just a few types, i.e. B747/B777/B787/A330/A350/A380.

Looking forward to reading your opinions.
NO URLS in signature

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: Is Airliners.net too much airliner-oriented?

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 am

I don't think we are too airliner-oriented in terms of what we accept. We cater to a good variety of aircraft and even the larger drones. Next to a lot of airliner photos, I'd say military takes the #2 spot. Then come bizjets and smaller props. It's up to each person what he/she takes photos of and what they upload, so in the end it comes to down to personal preference. Plus of course your home airport and whether you travel for your photos. And while most stuff that gets uploaded is still airliners, we have good photographers in all categories, making sure we have a nice variety of photos to cater to everyopnes needs.

On the subject of what gets promoted, I agree. I'd also love to see a wider variety of subjects promoted on social media, but I guess it comes down to what most viewers want to see and what generates views. So if that's the reason for the limited selection, I can understand.

Runway28L

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:00 am

The discrepancy is way worse on social media. I'd say nearly less than 5% of the people I follow on Instagram post military or GA pics. Almost everything is commercial aviation, which generates all of the views. I've seen people I follow flat out say that they have zero interest in military aviation, which is a shame IMO. :frown:

I like to try and mix things up a bit, so I will post one pic of a military plane in the morning and a commercial plane in the late afternoon. Every single time, the commercial pic I post generates nearly double or triple the amount of views/likes than the military pic.

A.net tends to be much better as my military pics almost always match the number of views that my airliner pics typically get.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

Max Q

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:51 am

The name of the site is ‘Airliners.Net’ !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.