Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

747superliner
Topic Author

My Introduction

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Hello all,

First my apologies if there is already an official "introductions" topic but I did not find anything like that after looking around.

Anyway, I would like to formally introduce myself. I am an avid aviation geek. I prefer not to give out my exact location but I am about 20 miles from Will Rogers Airport (IATA code: OKC), if you'd like a clue ;). Strange as it seems, I signed up as a member back in 2002 (found that out today when I went to sign up for an account!). However, obviously I have never posted, but have followed many of the discussions on this forum for at least that long, if not longer. I decided to finally make the move to "poster" from "lurker" today. Took only 16 years yes? :P

OKC being the closest major airport to me means I know the airport quite well, and have followed all of the developments related to it (terminal, air service, airfield etc) till today. However being a true avgeek I also follow global developments in commercial and general aviation (more commercial than GA, but you get the idea). My favourite hub airport in the U.S. is DFW, my favourite outside of the U.S. is FRA.
But I have had the privilege of visiting/transiting two dozen airports, flying various airlines and many aircraft over the years (see below).

I hope to take part in the forum discussions with you all on a regular basis. The nearest major hub airport to me is of course, DFW, which I thoroughly enjoy every time I'm there. Not surprisingly, I follow DFW developments quite closely as well, but I'm also a frequent visitor of AirlinerWatch, AirlineGeeks, Air Transport World, AviationWeek, BusinessTraveller, FrequentBusinessTraveller, AirlineRoute and many other online aviation magazines and websites, for news and other material. From time to time, I also keep myself in the loop on airport developments elsewhere (e.g. expansions on-going at ATL, DEN, SLC, FRA etc) and various other topics. And of course, this site!

As you might guess by my username, my favourite aircraft is the 747 (all variants), although I've flown in the -100, the -200 and the -400. But I enjoy flying everytime just as much as I enjoyed the first time (once I got over my own fear of flying).

I've been in the U.S. for a while now, but I am originally from Mumbai, so my other "home" airport is BOM. Many cool developments have taken place at that airport as well, and I've been following the Indian aviation threads here quite closely.

Anyway, I'll wrap up my rambling here, I'll leave you with a list of airlines and aircraft I have experienced as well as airports I've been to. See you all in the forums!

Airlines I’ve flown:

- Air France
- Air India
- Air Sahara (defunct-bought by Jet and converted to JetLite)
- American Airlines
- American Eagle
- British Airways
- Continental Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Delta Connection
-- Atlantic Southeast
-- Chautauqua
-- Comair
-- Compass
-- Skywest
- Indian Airlines (pre-merger with Air India)
- Jet Airways
- Lufthansa
- Southwest Airlines
- Transworld Airlines
- United Airlines
- United Express
--Air Wisconsin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Airports I have been to/transited:

United States:
- Will Rogers (OKC)
- Tulsa Int’l (TUL)
- Denver Int’l (DEN)
- Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)
- Dallas Love Field (DAL)
- Austin Bergstrom Int’l (AUS)
- Houston Intercontinental (IAH)
- Houston Hobby (HOU)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- St. Louis Lambert (STL)
- Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL)
- Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Int’l (CVG)
- New York City John F. Kennedy Int’l (JFK)
- New York City LaGuardia (LGA)
- Newark Liberty (EWR)

Europe:
- London Heathrow (LHR)
- Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
- Frankfurt am Main Int’l (FRA)

India:
- Mumbai CSIA (BOM)
- Delhi IGI (DEL)
- Aurangabad Chikkalthana Airport (IXU)
- Bhubaneshwar Biju Patnaik (BBU)
- Kolkata NSCBIA (CCU)
- Bangalore HAL – old airport
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Boeing:

717-200 (Delta)
727-100 (American)
727-200 (American, Transworld)
727-200Adv (Delta)
737-200 (Delta, Southwest)
737-300 (Southwest)
737-400 (Air Sahara)
737-500 (Continental; Southwest)
737-700 (Jet Airways, Continental)
737-800 (Delta, Jet Airways, Continental, United)
747-100 (Air France)
747-200 (Air India, Lufthansa)
747-400 (Lufthansa, British Airways)
767-300ER (Air France, Delta)
777-200ER (Air France, Delta, United)
777-300ER (British Airways)

Airbus:

320-200 (Indian Airlines)
330-200 (Air France)
330-300 (Lufthansa)
340-200 (Lufthansa)
340-300 (Lufthansa, Air France)
340-300X (Lufthansa)

McDonnell Douglas:

DC 9-30 (Transworld)
DC 9-50 (Transworld)
MD-82 (American)
MD-83 (American)
MD-88 (Delta)
MD-11 (Delta)

Bombardier:

CRJ 100 (DL Connection - Comair)
CRJ 200 (Air Sahara, DL Connection - ASA, DL Connection Comair, DL Connection - Skywest, United Express - Air Wisconsin)

CRJ 700 (DL Connection - ASA, American Eagle - Envoy)
Dash 8-Q400 (CO Connection Colgan Air)

Embraer:

EMB 120 Brasilia (DL Connection - ASA)
ERJ 135 (DL Connection - Chatauqua)
ERJ 145 (American Eagle)

Aerospatiale-Alenia:

ATR 72-200 (American Eagle)
ATR 72-500 (American Eagle, Jet Airways)

Fokker:

F-100 (American)

Lockheed:

L 1011-500 (Delta)

MDGLongBeach

Re: My Introduction

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Welcome to the A.net forums!

You have an extensive history in aviation and flying on some classic aircraft. I’d love to see some stories sometime. Hope to see you around :)

-McDonnellDouglasLGB

747superliner
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Hey MDGLongBeach,

Thanks for the kind words and appreciate the welcome! I'll be posting some flight reviews (including photos) from some trips that I've taken in recent years (2015 onwards). I've posted many flight reviews on the "other" site ;) for many years (I hope it's ok to mention that here haha) but I haven't actually posted the reviews from the these latest trips.

I do have many a fond memory of transiting LHR, STL, FRA and JFK back in the day (earliest recollection is from back in 1989!). Not sure which forum it would be appropriate to post such recollections in though, as I do not have any photos from back then (alas, discovered spotting in 2002 lol).

trpmb6

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:40 pm

747superliner wrote:
I do have many a fond memory of transiting LHR, STL, FRA and JFK back in the day (earliest recollection is from back in 1989!). Not sure which forum it would be appropriate to post such recollections in though, as I do not have any photos from back then (alas, discovered spotting in 2002 lol).

There are some area specific aviation threads in the civil aviation forum that you can use for small postings about specifics. Or if you have more detailed reports that can obviously go in the Trip report forum. I'm a huge fan of the trip report forum. When I'm bored I will jump back and find a random trip report someone posted just to see their experience. Would love to see your reports, no matter how old or lacking in photos!

747superliner
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:53 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
There are some area specific aviation threads in the civil aviation forum that you can use for small postings about specifics. Or if you have more detailed reports that can obviously go in the Trip report forum. I'm a huge fan of the trip report forum. When I'm bored I will jump back and find a random trip report someone posted just to see their experience. Would love to see your reports, no matter how old or lacking in photos!

Ahh cool, thanks for pointing that out! I will go check out those topics for sure. Will definitely have some flight reviews coming as well!