727LOVER
Topic Author

Why are some threads deleted?

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Over time, I have noticed a bunch of my threads have been deleted.

All of my DEREGULATION threads---GONE
All of my AIRLINE CELEBRATION threads---GONE

One thread in particular, I used to to use to find an archive link to the OLD TERMINALS site----it's GONE

Here are a few of the many threads from 20 years ago, that are still available

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151

What is the criteria for threads being deleted?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

atcsundevil

Re: Why are some threads deleted?

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Over time, I have noticed a bunch of my threads have been deleted.

All of my DEREGULATION threads---GONE
All of my AIRLINE CELEBRATION threads---GONE

One thread in particular, I used to to use to find an archive link to the OLD TERMINALS site----it's GONE

Here are a few of the many threads from 20 years ago, that are still available

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151

What is the criteria for threads being deleted?

I looked back through some of your posting history (which shows deleted items for us), and I can't find any threads you've posted recently matching that description. It is possible that they aren't showing in your search results — as discussed in other threads in Site Related, the site migration to Google Cloud caused some problems with searches. A lot of items posted in the past 6-12 months weren't showing. I think it's still in the process of being fixed.

Speaking more generally, there are a number of reasons why threads are deleted. Most commonly, it's because of the following things (or a combination of them): posting a link only, not including user commentary, copyright violations, duplicate topics (although these are usually locked or merged with other threads), inappropriate content or language, etc. Threads can also be deleted if the topic is written in all caps or has a clickbait title, but nearly all of the time, we simply fix it ourselves without deleting the thread.

If you find any specific examples, you can always ask us by emailing moderators@airliners.net. Like I said with the examples you listed, I suspect that it's related to the technical issue they're currently working on.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Thank you for the response, it is much appreciated. :bigthumbsup:

atcsundevil wrote:
I looked back through some of your posting history (which shows deleted items for us), and I can't find any threads you've posted recently matching that description. It is possible that they aren't showing in your search results — as discussed in other threads in Site Related, the site migration to Google Cloud caused some problems with searches. A lot of items posted in the past 6-12 months weren't showing. I think it's still in the process of being fixed.

They are probably a good 5-10 years old. I can't find when I google them also
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

atcsundevil

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:46 am

727LOVER wrote:
They are probably a good 5-10 years old. I can't find when I google them also

Then they certainly haven't been deleted recently! There are very few exceptions when we'd go back that far to delete anything. It may be an issue caused by the transition to Google Cloud, it could have been an issue when we migrated to the site...your guess is as good as mine. Unless they were deleted back then, I'm afraid I don't really have an answer for you.