User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 pm

D L X wrote:
Okay. I don't like it.

What is the point if the poster has to manually indicate that he wants the airport code translated? My bet is that most posters will not do that, so the descriptive text will never show up. Furthermore, (speaking from my perspective), I know what IAD, JFK, DCA and BOS are. If I'm the one typing a post, I'm definitely aware of what the airport codes represent. The situation where I NEED the airport codes are where I *didn't* write the post, especially for posts about airports not in North America.

I'm going to cast my vote in the opposite direction, to even up the score.

I have always carried the thought in my head that wherever communication problems exist, "the fault is usually at the transmitter".
With human speech or in this case text, that means the author, i.e. you (or me). I think it would be a good thing if every time we write a post, we automatically consider potential recipients of our mumblings, and whether the message we are sending will be received and understood by all. It stops us from being insular, and sometimes it needs someone from far away to say "where the hell is IAD?" for us to realise that there is another world out there.

Your bet is that most posters will not do that; I am equally sure the @ habit is one we could all pick up in a very short time.

If this was a tennis match, that makes the score "deuce". :D

(I agree with you that the old mouse rollover/hypertext was the best solution, but if that ain't happening...)
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
But what about when the OP doesn't use the @ symbol? Will there be a way to get the codes to show the airport by scrolling over the code like before?


I guess in the final edition you won't need the @, it'll work without. However only on new posts, it doesn't influence old existing posts.

A scroll over function should also be possible since it's just a "replace text" function that's being used. Right now a short text it being replaced with a longer text, but you can also replace that short text with the same short text however with a hover code showing the longer text.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6750
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:08 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
But what about when the OP doesn't use the @ symbol? Will there be a way to get the codes to show the airport by scrolling over the code like before?

One is dependant on the OP using the codes. there is no way to get them, unless you use the code yourself.

Example: OP says "OPO is a horrible airport". You don't know where OPO is. Then there is no way to trigger the code, unless you write @OPO yourself or Google it.
 
devron
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 pm

@LEJ
@MUC
@AMS

Like it
Last edited by devron on Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6750
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

I guess in the final edition you won't need the @, it'll work without. However only on new posts, it doesn't influence old existing posts.

A scroll over function should also be possible since it's just a "replace text" function that's being used. Right now a short text it being replaced with a longer text, but you can also replace that short text with the same short text however with a hover code showing the longer text.

Incorrect.
The "@" will always be needed to trigger the code. It also changes past posts that have an @code. Scroll-over/hovering is not going to come back.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
But what about when the OP doesn't use the @ symbol? Will there be a way to get the codes to show the airport by scrolling over the code like before?

No. As previously mentioned, that feature will probably never come back, at least not in the near term. It was a pretty unique thing with the old site, and to be honest, it didn't even work half the time anyway. This site is a 100% new site from the old one, so that feature couldn't be carried over somehow.

Apart from that, many people now post using phones and tablets, so having a feature requiring users to scroll over something isn't very useful for them.

This is probably the best chance we'll get to have airport decoding back, and at least using the @ symbol gives users the opportunity to opt in or out, limiting formatting errors.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum

Wed May 02, 2018 7:21 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
One might also suggest that the blindingly obvious ones (JFK, LAX, LHR) should never require a full explanation. If there is anybody here on a.net who doesn't get those three, they need to find a different occupation!

I don't agree. Eventhough it's obvious everybody knows those airports, you can sometimes be mistaken. Besides, you got to have some uniformity. If you're doing one, you got to do them all.


Polot wrote:
The big decision then would be what airports are “most appropriate”.

airkas1 (topic author) wrote:
Our suggestion is smaller/medium sized airports that most users are likely not to know by heart.

It could easily become a contentious issue i.e. "It's not fair, why isn't my home airport on the list..."

Not to mention a headache for the poor sod who has to manually input all these codes and their long-form output.
Particularly if the really obscure ones only get used once a year.
Unless somebody knows a nifty programming shortcut, AFAIK there is no way "all" of them will get covered anyway. (caution - I'm not on the team, so take what I say with a pinch of salt)
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:22 pm

airkas1 wrote:
The "@"will always be needed to trigger the code.


That's very gawky and to be honest it would totally destroy the use of this function. I say it would work MUCH MUCH MUCH better if it would not need the @.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Your bet is that most posters will not do that; I am equally sure the @ habit is one we could all pick up in a very short time.

I agree. I think it's something that regular posters will pick up on quickly. Using the @ symbol is easily typed, and many people are familiar with the @ and # symbols triggering actions through social media. We can post prominent announcements to ensure users know how to do it, and they can decide if and when they'd like to use it. My guess is that more people than not will use it at least occasionally.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
(I agree with you that the old mouse rollover/hypertext was the best solution, but if that ain't happening...)

Unfortunately it's probably a case of "beggars can't be choosers". We'd all love for there to be some fancy feature that by simply typing an airport code, it would display the location, other codes, pictures, Wikipedia article, and maybe even buy you tickets to get there. However.. we just don't have those resources. It was a nice feature on the old site (when it even worked!), but this new site is the new reality, and we have to work with what we've got.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 8422
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Would this feature eventually get implemented for airline codes?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
The "@"will always be needed to trigger the code.


That's very gawky and to be honest it would totally destroy the use of this function. I say it would work MUCH MUCH MUCH better if it would not need the @.

The argument against that is, what do we do with airports that are also commonly used words? Airports like Seattle, Manchester, Guangzhou, Perth, and a number of others couldn't be part of the database. It would also annoy users like Enrila (and those who read his OAG threads) by making the threads cluttered and unreadable.

I agree that requiring a symbol isn't ideal, but allowing users to choose when to opt in is the only way that I can think of that won't totally piss people off.
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
The "@"will always be needed to trigger the code.

That's very gawky and to be honest it would totally destroy the use of this function. I say it would work MUCH MUCH MUCH better if it would not need the @.

Could you repeat that?
Are you sure you wanted to write;"..it would work Munich-Germany, Munich-Germany, Munich-Germany, better .." (without the @)
:arrow:
(assuming it replaces all instances of "MUC" even when followed by another letter such as "H")
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.
 
User avatar
kngkyle
Moderator
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 pm

@ams

test
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:38 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
The "@"will always be needed to trigger the code.


That's very gawky and to be honest it would totally destroy the use of this function. I say it would work MUCH MUCH MUCH better if it would not need the @.

The argument against that is, what do we do with airports that are also commonly used words? Airports like Seattle, Manchester, Guangzhou, Perth, and a number of others couldn't be part of the database. It would also annoy users like Enrila (and those who read his OAG threads) by making the threads cluttered and unreadable.

I agree that requiring a symbol isn't ideal, but allowing users to choose when to opt in is the only way that I can think of that won't totally piss people off.


But it won't work as people will never opt-in, and with never I mean really never. Better give them an opt-out instead of an opt-in.

First thing that comes to my mind is to add something in front of the code when you want to opt-out. The universal symbol for this is ' so you can say MOL if you mean Molde airport and 'MOL when you mean Michael O'Leary. Another thing is that you can detect "capitals only" so AMS would work but ams wouldn't.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Could you repeat that?
Are you sure you wanted to write;"..it would work Munich-Germany, Munich-Germany, Munich-Germany, better .." (without the @)
:arrow:
(assuming it replaces all instances of "MUC" even when followed by another letter such as "H")


That's another thing you could filter, look at the characters before and after the code. If it's a space, a minus, etc it should work. If it's something else it shouldn't. That way MUC should work but 'MUC shouldn't (and MUCH shouldn't either).
 
D L X
Posts: 12181
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
D L X wrote:
Okay. I don't like it.

What is the point if the poster has to manually indicate that he wants the airport code translated? My bet is that most posters will not do that, so the descriptive text will never show up. Furthermore, (speaking from my perspective), I know what IAD, JFK, DCA and BOS are. If I'm the one typing a post, I'm definitely aware of what the airport codes represent. The situation where I NEED the airport codes are where I *didn't* write the post, especially for posts about airports not in North America.

I'm going to cast my vote in the opposite direction, to even up the score.

I have always carried the thought in my head that wherever communication problems exist, "the fault is usually at the transmitter".
With human speech or in this case text, that means the author, i.e. you (or me). I think it would be a good thing if every time we write a post, we automatically consider potential recipients of our mumblings, and whether the message we are sending will be received and understood by all. It stops us from being insular, and sometimes it needs someone from far away to say "where the hell is IAD?" for us to realise that there is another world out there.

Your bet is that most posters will not do that; I am equally sure the @ habit is one we could all pick up in a very short time.

If this was a tennis match, that makes the score "deuce". :D

(I agree with you that the old mouse rollover/hypertext was the best solution, but if that ain't happening...)

So then we will see posters saying “please update with @ codes” to which people will respond “please look it up on your own.”

I don’t disagree with your point, I just think in practice, it wouldn’t work. We agree that mouseovet is best. But if no mouseover, I don’t see the point of doing this at all.
 
c933103
Posts: 2508
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum

Wed May 02, 2018 7:56 pm

@LAX flyer wrote:

texttexttext

test

Probably need to do something to situation like this
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6750
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:01 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That's very gawky and to be honest it would totally destroy the use of this function. I say it would work MUCH MUCH MUCH better if it would not need the @.

Unfortunately that's not really an option, unles you want to have 99% unreadable forum posts.


Polot wrote:
Would this feature eventually get implemented for airline codes?

Probably not. As the forum would get slower the more codes we add (I don't know how many entries we can do before it gets noticeable), I think it's safe to say that airline codes will not get implemented.


SheikhDjibouti wrote:
(assuming it replaces all instances of "MUC" even when followed by another letter such as "H")

That assumpton is incorrect ;) Example: @AMSterdam.


PatrickZ80 wrote:
But it won't work as people will never opt-in, and with never I mean really never. Better give them an opt-out instead of an opt-in.

Opt out means that 99% of forum posts will become unreadable. That is unacceptable, which means only 2 options are left: opt-in or nothing at all.


PatrickZ80 wrote:
The universal symbol for this is ' so you can say MOL if you mean Molde airport and 'MOL when you mean Michael O'Leary.

Or simply type @MOL if you want to say Molde and say MOL when you mean Michael O'Leary.


PatrickZ80 wrote:
Another thing is that you can detect "capitals only" so AMS would work but ams wouldn't.

Case sensitivity is not possible.
 
LHRApproach
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm using my phone. It would be really 2010 if it could handle that.

Thank you for the efforts though!
 
LG777
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:48 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 pm

There is a mod for phpBB that be used for this purpose and that actually shows the result un a small popup.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2346451

Why not check this as well ? It will not destroy posts (even with PER SEA or even LOL :D ) as you need to clic on the acronym to see the description.

Just to test myself: Why is there no flights from @AMS to @PIE? There is a huuuuge market.

Note: If we want that it works we need to make a grammar mistake and insert a space before the question mark.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:22 pm

airkas1 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
(assuming it replaces all instances of "MUC" even when followed by another letter such as "H")

That assumpton is incorrect ;) Example: @AMSterdam.


But if you type the whole city name then there's no need for this function anyway.

airkas1 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
But it won't work as people will never opt-in, and with never I mean really never. Better give them an opt-out instead of an opt-in.

Opt out means that 99% of forum posts will become unreadable. That is unacceptable, which means only 2 options are left: opt-in or nothing at all.


You keep saying it will become unreadable. I don't think so, at least it doesn't have to be the case. It will occasionally go wrong, but most of the time it'll work.

airkas1 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
The universal symbol for this is ' so you can say MOL if you mean Molde airport and 'MOL when you mean Michael O'Leary.

Or simply type @MOL if you want to say Molde and say MOL when you mean Michael O'Leary.


But people won't do that. It's really nice thought, but in reality it just won't work that way. Besides, you also got to think of old existing posts where there is no @ either. In my opinion the @ is just not an option, it won't work. It must work without otherwise you might as well do nothing at all.

airkas1 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Another thing is that you can detect "capitals only" so AMS would work but ams wouldn't.

Case sensitivity is not possible.


Then make it possible. What kind of a half solution is it that you currently got that doesn't have such essential functions? No wonder you keep saying it will become unreadable, it's not even a half product you got. It needs to be worked on a lot.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6750
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:25 pm

LG777 wrote:
There is a mod for phpBB that be used for this purpose and that actually shows the result un a small popup.

Thanks for that! I will pass it on to the develoepr, as I'm not great with code.


PatrickZ80 wrote:
But if you type the whole city name then there's no need for this function anyway.

That was to illustrate that only the exact format works and if there are extra letters in front or behind the format, it won't trigger the code.


PatrickZ80 wrote:
Then make it possible. What kind of a half solution is it that you currently got that doesn't have such essential functions? No wonder you keep saying it will become unreadable, it's not even a half product you got. It needs to be worked on a lot.

The option that I'm currently using for this doesn't allow for that. It will take a great effort in rewriting lines of code, an effort that currently (maybe not even at all) can be justified. And even if that were to be done, I still think posts will end up with a jungle of words that make it hard to read.

Anyway, your opinion has been noted, thanks!
 
LHRApproach
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:25 pm

That's fairly harsh. It's good that they're working on it and sometimes in IT small problems take ridiculous efforts to resolve. If we got a reasonably functional case sensitive solution in place followed by a non-sensitive solution any time later it would be a lot better than now.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 pm

It is harsh indeed, but such is life. Besides, it worked in the old forums. Allright, that database was out of date but the detection techniques were perfect. It was case-sensitive, detected characters before and after the code, etc. Everything that is a problem now wasn't a problem back then. And keep in mind, people won't settle for anything less than what they had.

It'll take a lot of effort to turn this system into something that works, but I believe it's possible. I'm only saying that we're not there yet, there's a lot of work to be done.
 
User avatar
iahcsr
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 pm

I see this as quite helpful. I’ve been in the biz for 30 years and I still sometimes wonder ‘Where’s that?’
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
c933103
Posts: 2508
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 8:55 pm

The old version actually doesn't work that great on mobile browser. But that's less important with it being easier to tap on a word and click search button on mobile browser
 
alasizon
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Alternatively, could it be an option to have a SQL (what I'm assuming the backend is ran entirely off of) query box that allows the user to type in a three letter code and get the result from the table with the the unknown code? It could probably be nested somewhere in the main banner up by the site search function.

Basically something along the lines of:
Select airportname from table_airports
where airportcode = @typed
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner
 
PITingres
Posts: 1186
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 pm

I think I'm landing, with a squishy plop, into the "It's better than nothing" camp. If posters don't use it, we're no worse off than now. I probably would not write -@ATL- since how hard is it to figure out that ATL is Atlanta, but a thoughtful poster might well write @USH or some other less well known airport code. (like @SQL!)

The old hover was nice, but I rather suspect that to implement it the way it was, you'd have to dump phpBB and re-hand-code ALL of it. Not just the parts you want to be different, but everything. That's a non starter for sure.
Fly, you fools! Fly!
 
User avatar
PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Posts: 3908
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 7:37 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 am

Test

I flew from @SYD to @LAX yesterday via @AMS
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 1:06 am

Just wondering if there are any intention to bring the same thing back for (IATA) airline code?

On the other hand, I was typing mad yesterday and it show up as @MAD, now I know why :).

Meanwhile, at least I don't have to type out city names (I usually do as a courtesy, especially to obscure airports like @ATQ, @PNQ, or @BBQ).

EDIT: Looks like my question is already answered. Not surprised as those airline code changes hand. And quite frankly, it's hard to really determine whether, let say, TW is referring to ex-TWA, or T'way Airlines.
 
User avatar
gunsontheroof
Posts: 3352
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:30 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 1:20 am

Crew might be aware of this, but on a mobile device (mine, at least), these are displaying as code+description that I assume is supposed to appear when hovering over the code.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.
 
User avatar
Blimpie
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 1:36 am

While I will miss the hover, I get the issues with implementing it. I would say it was off more like 30% of the time over the stated 50% :)

I still hate @LAX
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!
 
User avatar
spinkid
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 am

D L X wrote:
Okay. I don't like it.

What is the point if the poster has to manually indicate that he wants the airport code translated? My bet is that most posters will not do that, so the descriptive text will never show up. Furthermore, (speaking from my perspective), I know what IAD, JFK, DCA and BOS are. If I'm the one typing a post, I'm definitely aware of what the airport codes represent. The situation where I NEED the airport codes are where I *didn't* write the post, especially for posts about airports not in North America.

If you ask me, the best way to do this is to go back to mouseover translations, but allow users to turn it off in settings. That way I'm not reliant on the poster to actively think to put the @ in front of HEF.



YES! YES! YES! I 100% AGREE.

You took the words out of my mouth.
 
rnav2dlrey
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 2:48 am

D L X wrote:
Okay. I don't like it.

What is the point if the poster has to manually indicate that he wants the airport code translated? My bet is that most posters will not do that, so the descriptive text will never show up. Furthermore, (speaking from my perspective), I know what IAD, JFK, DCA and BOS are. If I'm the one typing a post, I'm definitely aware of what the airport codes represent. The situation where I NEED the airport codes are where I *didn't* write the post, especially for posts about airports not in North America.

If you ask me, the best way to do this is to go back to mouseover translations, but allow users to turn it off in settings. That way I'm not reliant on the poster to actively think to put the @ in front of HEF.


this post hits the nail on the head. mouseover notations of airports and airline codes is the way to move forward. this is a website whose membership consists of aviation enthusiasts and professionals; if we're not certain about a particular code, we have the ability to google it.
 
User avatar
VapourTrails
Posts: 3325
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 2:56 am

@CBR to @OOL

@ADL
@LHR
@LGW
@DRW
@HBA
@MEL *
@LST
@NLK
@BNE

:redflag: It's Tullamarine not Tullaramine *
 
b777erj145
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:50 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 3:22 am

So let me get it clear, we need to add @ in front of codes to get it to work. Like @LHR and @DEL
 
User avatar
VapourTrails
Posts: 3325
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 3:44 am

b777erj145 wrote:
So let me get it clear, we need to add @ in front of codes to get it to work. Like LHR (London (Heathrow) - England) and @DEL


Yes, as it stands, this is the current practice for testing as I read it. As more codes are added, they will appear with their labels and then users can verify the accuracy and also how it is working at their end. I like the simplicity of the labels in adding them, and how they read. I am (also) a fan of the mouse hovering label, but it depends on user device and preference. I prefer the IATA over the ICAO code. I think a setting to turn the labels on or off would be a useful choice.

:arrow: Another issue with MEL. MEL as the IATA code is currently not displaying.

What about the format MEL (Melbourne (Tullamarine) - Australia)

..then..

AVV (Melbourne (Avalon) - Australia)
MEB (Melbourne (Essendon) - Australia) - e.g.

The ( ) brackets and format like for LCY is better than the [ ] that I have seen in some others IMHO.

@MEL
@LCY
@AVV
@DUB
@YVR
@BCN
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 4:22 am

Why is the mouseover not an option? It's far less intrusive and much easier to read (and posts flow much better) if they're not interrupted unnecessarily. Most of us who post here talk in airline lingo quite often, so it's much more natural to type DFW-OKC as opposed to typing it out and having "DFW-OKC" interrupted with the names of the airports.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 am

Test

@PIT
@PHL
@BWI
@DCA
@IAD
@ORD
@MDW
@MCI
@DAL
@DFW
@LAX
@SNA
@ONT
@BUR
@LGB

Unfortunately, the only one from this group which worked was LAX. I'm presuming that most, if not all, of these airports will be added as time progresses.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2745
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Test

@PIT
@PHL
@BWI
@DCA
@IAD
@ORD
@MDW
@MCI
@DAL
@DFW
LAX (Los Angeles - USA)
@SNA
@ONT
@BUR
@LGB

Unfortunately, the only one from this group which worked was LAX. I'm presuming that most, if not all, of these airports will be added as time progresses.

Yes. As mentioned previously, only a handful of airports have been added as a test.
 
miegapele
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 4:57 am

Using @ to signify the need for explanation in is useless. Person writing already knows the code.
It also should work on hover. And there is easy solution requiring virtually no work for desktop browsers. Use abbr tag with title.
Chrome extension called "Explain IATA codes" already does this.
However the problem for mobile devices still remains.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14756
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 am

I agree with D L X on this one; without a mouseover function, this is useless.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
jomur
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 am

Shouldn't the airports coming up as in England actually say United Kingdom? Just like all the US airports say USA and not the State. England i(or any of the other 3 countries that make up the UK) are not seperate countries on the international stage yet!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15817
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 8:22 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Everything that is a problem now wasn't a problem back then. And keep in mind, people won't settle for anything less than what they had.


We've survived without mouse-over airport codes for the last two years. So most folks seem to have settled.

My view:

Mouse-over hyperlinks would be best (but appreciate that doesn't work well for phone or tablet users).

Can live with @LHR 'injecting' the name into the post, but as others have pointed out, I need that when other people are writing posts so it's totally dependent on them using it otherwise it's of no benefit to me personally.

My concern:

Kas didn't elaborate much, but I worry when he starts talking about slowing the site down if the list of airports is too big (how big is that?)

Other:

I think the format of the displayed name needs some work. Some could look quite clunky.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 8:56 am

9w748capt wrote:
Why is the mouseover not an option? It's far less intrusive and much easier to read (and posts flow much better) if they're not interrupted unnecessarily. Most of us who post here talk in airline lingo quite often, so it's much more natural to type DFW-OKC as opposed to typing it out and having "DFW-OKC" interrupted with the names of the airports.


Because it doesn't work great on mobile devices like phones or tablets, they usually don't have a mouse.

Perhaps a solution can be found in a script that detects the type of device and then select the technique to be used. On a device with a mouse (desktop, laptop, etc) the mouse-over function can be used, on a device without a mouse it should be done differently.

However for now let's focus on the detection techniques. I think we all agree the @ needs to go as it doesn't work, it should work without. In order to avoid false positives you need to set a good set of detection rules.
 
LHRlocal
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 am

I'm not entirely sure what i'm supposed to be seeing (if anything), but i see nothing different when browsing this forum, i'm guessing an airport description is supposed to pop up when hovering over an airport code? If so - nothing showing for me.
Google Chrome on Desktop PC.
LHRlocal
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am

scbriml wrote:
We've survived without mouse-over airport codes for the last two years. So most folks seem to have settled.


Indeed, but it's not great. I often come across codes that I don't know and need to look up. That's doable if it's just one or two, but sometimes you got lists with about twenty or thirty codes or even more. It's not doable to look them all up manually.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 am

LHRlocal wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what i'm supposed to be seeing (if anything), but i see nothing different when browsing this forum, i'm guessing an airport description is supposed to pop up when hovering over an airport code? If so - nothing showing for me.
Google Chrome on Desktop PC.
LHRlocal


Just try typing @ AMS (without the space inbetween) and then save your post. It shows up as @AMS. However it's work in progress, the final result should work without the @ but we're not there yet.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 6494
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 9:25 am

My :twocents:

Keep it with the @ character. Let us opt-in. I probably won't even use it, but I would much rather the post not be automatically set to change every instant of an airport code. Imagine a programming thread about SQL and having every instant be changed in reference to San Carlos Airport.

"I use SQL (San Carlos-USA) in my daily work".

At this point, I'd say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". As scbriml said, we've done well without the hover function. Unless it's a very small airport, odds are that most airports are common knowledge and are just one Google away if they aren't.

Let's not forget that the hover function also had its drawbacks, most notably, underlining every instant that was an airport code as well (in the SQL example, every instant of SQL would also be underlined).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Test topic for airport codes on the forum ** Input needed **

Thu May 03, 2018 9:36 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
My :twocents:

Keep it with the @ character. Let us opt-in. I probably won't even use it, but I would much rather the post not be automatically set to change every instant of an airport code. Imagine a programming thread about SQL and having every instant be changed in reference to San Carlos Airport.

"I use SQL (San Carlos-USA) in my daily work".

At this point, I'd say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". As scbriml said, we've done well without the hover function. Unless it's a very small airport, odds are that most airports are common knowledge and are just one Google away if they aren't.

Let's not forget that the hover function also had its drawbacks, most notably, underlining every instant that was an airport code as well (in the SQL example, every instant of SQL would also be underlined).


I disagree. Opt-in won't work since nobody will. You said it yourself, you probably won't use it. That ain't good, it should be used.

What if you're listing a bunch of airports and you don't use the @? Somebody reading your posts that doesn't know those airports has to look them all up, so you're bugging them because you were too lazy to include the @.

Of course you got to have the possibility to opt-out, therefor I suggested adding the ' in front of it. So if you're talking about structured query language, you're saying 'SQL as that will show up as SQL and not as SQL (San Carlos - USA).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos