Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Repeated Topics

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:45 pm

I've noticed a marked increase in a.netters posting topics that have already been posted or already discussed. There has been a rash lately especially when involving an aircraft accident. Why don't people take the time to look first before jumping the gun??? I guess they want to share the glory of posting first...

EvanWSFO

Re: Repeated Topics

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:55 pm

crownvic wrote:
I've noticed a marked increase in a.netters posting topics that have already been posted or already discussed. There has been a rash lately especially when involving an aircraft accident. Why don't people take the time to look first before jumping the gun??? I guess they want to share the glory of posting first...

Sometimes the search engine is hard to use. If you use a search word, the engine shows up every mention of the word or phrase, not just the specific topic you may be looking for..

stl07

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Hypocrisy at its finest. A topic that should be in site related/non aviation is civil yet it calls out other posters for not posting topics correctly

crownvic
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:41 pm

stl07 wrote:
Hypocrisy at its finest. A topic that should be in site related/non aviation is civil yet it calls out other posters for not posting topics correctly

no one goes there...I wanted it seen here as this is where it occurs the most... I'm trying to alert those that do it... that's all..Ive been on this site for 14 years, you've been here 11 months...welcome

Revelation

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Sometimes the search engine is hard to use. If you use a search word, the engine shows up every mention of the word or phrase, not just the specific topic you may be looking for..

Yes, that's true, but if you click the gear icon next to the search box, then look for:

Search within:
• Post subjects and message text
• Message text only
• Topic titles only
• First post of topics only

and pick "Topic titles only" then put your search term in the Keywords box.

HHScot

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Sometimes it is actually hard to identify a repeat subject. An example this week being the two threads discussing Airbus's proposal for enabling the A330 lower deck to contain sleeping areas. The original post was titled (something like) "Is this what Airbus is doing to increase sales?" Hardly a wonder that a duplicate post appeared soon after referring to the lower deck concept.
But I do agree that there's been a significant increase in this lately. Probably fuelled by people (like me) who have recently joined the forum since it became free of charge. I think this has reduced the etiquette somewhat!

NYPECO

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:02 pm

crownvic wrote:
stl07 wrote:

no one goes there...I wanted it seen here as this is where it occurs the most... I'm trying to alert those that do it... that's all..Ive been on this site for 14 years, you've been here 11 months...welcome

It doesn't matter how long you've been here, that's completely irrelevant. If you see multiple threads of the same topic, it's better to just ask the moderators to lock it.

EvanWSFO

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Revelation wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Yes, that's true, but if you click the gear icon next to the search box, then look for:

Search within:
• Message text only
• Topic titles only

I've tried it. Sometimes it works, sometime not. Not a huge issue for me. I only follow a few conversations that always seem to be active such as Delta's destruction of DTW. :duck:

atcsundevil

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 pm

crownvic wrote:
stl07 wrote:

That doesn't mean you should purposely post things to the wrong forum. Two wrongs don't make a right.

We're aware of the issue, and it's not a new problem. The best way to fix it is for users to report duplicate topics to us, along with any other problematic posts or topics. It's the only way to alert us so we can handle it quickly, and many of us contact the user directly to explain why their thread was locked or deleted. We can't make users utilize the search engine or read the forum rules or post in the correct forum (as you've quite cleverly demonstrated); the best we can do is for users to help us out by reporting posts, and hopefully we can use it as a teaching moment for the user involved.

legacyins

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm

I think another issue is people do not know how to report on an issue. A lot of people do not know that the triangle button with the ! ( In the top right corner) Is the way to coorispond to the Moderators.

Max Q

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:18 am

Who cares ? besides with my memory these days every subject looks new to me.

VapourTrails

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:27 am

Revelation wrote:
Search within:
• Message text only
• Topic titles only

I would like to bring up a list in Civil Aviation of only all new threads within the last 24 hours.. is this possible? I couldn't see where to do this without entering a keyword? Sorry if I have missed it. The options from the menu in the top left hand corner are:

Your posts
Unread posts
Unanswered topics
Active topics

Also, I am wondering whether it is possible to highlight or mark all the new posts within the last 24 hours, to make them stand out on the page? I've seen this on other forums. Maybe the time stamp could be highlighted or another icon - like the red flame used, but a different colour? This would also hopefully reduce duplicate posts from breaking news items, for example the duplicate postings of the Algiers crash recently, which were both on the first page.

VapourTrails

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Also, I am wondering whether it is possible to highlight or mark all the new posts within the last 24 hours, to make them stand out on the page? I've seen this on other forums. Maybe the time stamp could be highlighted or another icon - like the red flame used, but a different colour? This would also hopefully reduce duplicate posts from breaking news items, for example the duplicate postings of the Algiers crash recently, which were both on the first page.

edit: oops, I meant to say 'thread topics' rather than posts or postings here. :profile:

727LOVER

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:38 am

crownvic
Topic Author

Sat May 19, 2018 7:39 am

Congratulations my fellow a.netters...a record 5 new threads were started for the 737 crash in Cuba. The mods did a great job and had a good workout on that one...

atcsundevil

Sat May 19, 2018 2:00 pm

crownvic wrote:
Congratulations my fellow a.netters...a record 5 new threads were started for the 737 crash in Cuba. The mods did a great job and had a good workout on that one...

You should have seen the number that popped up after the Southwest accident :banghead: At least a dozen, by my count.

We manage to get to a lot of them fairly quickly because users report them to us. It's most helpful if there's a link to the original thread in the report so we don't need to find it for ourselves (sometimes that's easier said than done if the topic has fallen a few pages back).

ACDC8

Sat May 19, 2018 8:29 pm

crownvic wrote:
There has been a rash lately especially when involving an aircraft accident. Why don't people take the time to look first before jumping the gun??? I guess they want to share the glory of posting first...

Because they want to be the first to post it.