XAM2175
Topic Author

Thread-starter appears after first reply

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:44 pm

I've noticed a few new threads are appearing with the first reply above the original post.

One such thread is here: viewtopic.php?p=20212157

Cheers.

Moose135

Re: Thread-starter appears after first reply

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:07 pm

That's a known issue, I think it has to do with time stamps on the posts. The mods are aware of it - I know it's been mentioned here in the Site Related section previously.

ETA: Found the earlier thread on it:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1373943
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

atcsundevil

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:50 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
I've noticed a few new threads are appearing with the first reply above the original post.

One such thread is here: viewtopic.php?p=20212157

Cheers.

Yeah, unfortunately it is a known issue, and the developers are aware of it. It's been an issue for at least six months. I wouldn't say it's common, but it probably comes up about once every week or two. Just report the post to us so we can fix it. We can't change the post sequence, but we'll either delete the post that's out of sequence, or we'll sometimes quote the user before deleting it — that way, their post is still visible. It's not ideal, but hopefully it'll be fixed soon. It affects down thread posts too, but that's less noticeable (usually you only notice it when a post quotes a post that is displayed below it) and doesn't require fixing.

XAM2175
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks very much. I do see it every now and again - at least with the "Topic Starter" bar it's not so hard to work it out!

readytotaxi

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm

you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

atcsundevil

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

Please just report the post as being out of sequence. It's usually the only way we can get to it in a timely manner.

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:48 pm

I thought that was what I was doing. Advice pls.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Moose135

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:30 am

readytotaxi wrote:

Use the "Report Post" function - the little triangle with the exclamation point icon - to send a report directly to the moderators. Posting in a thread here may not be seen right away.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

atcsundevil

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:51 am

readytotaxi wrote:

To add to what Moose135 said, using the Report Post function is the only guaranteed way to draw our attention to something. Users will often write "Mods" thinking it will alert us, but it doesn't. That just means we have to find it by eventually reading it ourselves. That's hardly a quick process. Reporting a post doesn't necessarily mean someone has broken a rule, it's just to draw our attention.

Aircellist

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 am

Thanks. I'll definitely use it.
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

TVNWZ

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 pm

This issue appears to be getting more frequent in the last week.

VapourTrails

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:09 am

Moose135 wrote:
That's a known issue, I think it has to do with time stamps on the posts. The mods are aware of it - I know it's been mentioned here in the Site Related section previously.

ETA: Found the earlier thread on it:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1373943

Thank for this. It seems to be worse today and happens when replies are posted close together. :crowded: e.g. less than two minutes?

scbriml

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 am

Any update on progress towards fixing this issue? It seems to be getting worse. I saw one thread a couple of days ago where there was three or four replies to a post that appeared after them.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vhtje

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:38 am

I concur: it is getting much worse over the last two weeks. It is making reading the forums confusing and difficult.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

scbriml

Thu May 03, 2018 9:48 am

Any update on this very annoying bug? Thanks!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

c933103

Thu May 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Not just the opening post, but replies can get out of sequence as well, with someone quoting a message that display by the forum as appear after original message

atcsundevil

Thu May 03, 2018 2:37 pm

scbriml wrote:

We haven't heard anything. It's on the list, so hopefully it'll be looked into soon.

c933103 wrote:
Not just the opening post, but replies can get out of sequence as well, with someone quoting a message that display by the forum as appear after original message

Right, but the opening post being out of sequence is what causes the most confusion. Replies being out of sequence don't generally matter much, even if a reply references a post before the original post. It looks strange, but it doesn't generally confuse anyone. The bigger issue for us (and for most people, I'm sure) is when a reply displays before the thread starting post.

enilria

Fri May 04, 2018 4:23 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
scbriml wrote:

We haven't heard anything. It's on the list, so hopefully it'll be looked into soon.

c933103 wrote:

Right, but the opening post being out of sequence is what causes the most confusion. Replies being out of sequence don't generally matter much, even if a reply references a post before the original post. It looks strange, but it doesn't generally confuse anyone. The bigger issue for us (and for most people, I'm sure) is when a reply displays before the thread starting post.

I am listed as the OP on this thread, but I didn't start it.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1393251

atcsundevil

Fri May 04, 2018 4:44 pm

enilria wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
scbriml wrote:

c933103 wrote:

I am listed as the OP on this thread, but I didn't start it.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1393251

That's a housekeeping error rather than a post out of sequence. We'll let the thread continue for now despite the error.