Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Newbiepilot
Topic Author

Moderators moving Civ Av topics to Tech Ops

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 am

Recently there have been some rather news worthy events that have been moved to tech ops. I am a little surprised that Southwest suspending operations at MDW and Airbus suspending deliveries of PW A320neos is tech ops.

Civil Aviation is

discussions about factual events happening in the airline and general aviation industries. If it's happening in commercial aviation, you'll get the information and opinions here first.q

I like to keep abreast of the news. Sure Southwest’s problem had a technical cause, but I would think it is worth discussing in the more active forum. Similarly, suspending deliveries of one of the most discussed airplanes on the forum is for civil aviation.

I have no clue why this is tech ops:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1386341

Tech ops is

. The more advanced forum for those of you who want to dig deeper into technical issues as well as airline management and operations. A forum for both professionals and knowledgeable amateurs.

Can the mods explain why such threads are getting moved or the rationale behind tech ops? Lots of people keep starting new threads on the topics since they are newsworthy and not necessarily into the deeper technical area.

Similarly some news worthy evens like Airbus suspending deliveries of all PW1100G engines probably should have its own topic instead of hiding in a long production thread where most people don’t read on a daily basis.

Raventech

Re: Moderators moving Civ Av topics to Tech Ops

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
I like to keep abreast of the news. Sure Southwest’s problem had a technical cause, but I would think it is worth discussing in the more active forum. Similarly, suspending deliveries of one of the most discussed airplanes on the forum is for civil aviation.

I agree but for slightly different rationale. It's a technically heavy current event topic and as such, best fits in the current events forum. There are good arguments for keeping it in either forum but if you were to boil down the core of the topic its a current event.

Newbiepilot wrote:
Similarly some news worthy evens like Airbus suspending deliveries of all PW1100G engines probably should have its own topic instead of hiding in a long production thread where most people don’t read on a daily basis

This actually likely warrants its own topic because I think it needs to be discussed and codified what constitutes newsworthy enough to be discussed outside of the dedicated discussion thread. My answer might be to broad to work but I feel if someone noticed it outside of the group that discuss on that topic, then it is worthy of it's own thread because they are likely more than just him that are interested in that event. It's unreasonable to expect users to read through all the discussion threads just to see if there might be one topic they do want to see.

What the mission of civil av forum. To me it's spread and discuss civil av related news, and these threads are great if your a wonk on a topic (i frequent the PHX topic alot and got a bunch of information that would have probably been missed otherwise) but if every topic related to PHX is being shoehorned into the PHX topic then people to by large are not wonks about PHX will miss topics that otherwise would have attracted them.

food for thought