Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747422
Topic Author

how to post pictures in answers

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 am

Hi,

I have a question about posting pictures onto answers. Whenever I click on the image button, it does this, and I don't know what to do

[img][img]

I appreciate any help. Many thanks.

UAL747422

SheikhDjibouti

Re: how to post pictures in answers

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:29 pm

UAL747422 wrote:
Hi,
I have a question about posting pictures onto answers. Whenever I click on the image button, it does this, and I don't know what to do
[img][img]

First question; is this picture a photo from here on a.net? Or from elsewhere on the internet?
Note you cannot insert a (personal/private) image that only exists on your computer or phone.

Short answer; firstly you need to identify the URL address associated with the picture, then copy & paste it into your answer here on a.net.
Then you need to select the URL text such that it acquires a light blue background, and NOW you can click on the insert image button.
This action places small scripts identified by square brackets [like this] on either side of the URL text.

Here it is , step-by-step
STEP 1; Having selected the appropriate picture, right-click anywhere on the image.
STEP 2; From the dialogue box, choose the final item "Properties"
STEP 3; From this new dialogue box, select and copy the "address: (URL)" - this will usually start "http.....", and end with ".....jpg" Make sure you get it all.
STEP 4; Paste this URL address into your a.net answer,
STEP 5; Use the cursor to select this text (blue background), then click on the Insert image icon.
This action automatically places small scripts identified by square brackets [like this] on either side of the URL address

Here is a URL address from the Wikipedia page on the recent lunar eclipse. It allows you to access the image, but it doesn't display it here on a.net.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... clipse.jpg

And here it is again with the relevant [script] boxes placed one at the beginning and also at the end. Only you cannot see the scripts, because the whole thing now turns into an image.

It is a similar procedure to using PHOTOID, except that only works for photos sourced here on a.net.
i.e.
1) Identify a relevant photo, and note the #number
2) Copy & paste, or simply type the number, omitting the "#"
3) Use your cursor to highlight the number e.g. 4825649
4) Click PHOTOID; this action places small scripts identified by square brackets [like this] on either side of the number.
5) Tidy up any spaces, commas, line returns etc that interrupt the script, so that you are left with
[photoid]z4825649[/photoid]
I am forced to introduce a rogue "z" to demonstrate the correct script, otherwise it automatically becomes...

UAL747422
Topic Author

Re: how to post pictures in answers

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Thank you for helping me understand. I really appreciate it. Also, love your signature at the bottom! :D

VapourTrails

Re: How to post pictures in answers

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 am

Thank you - this is really useful for me also - particularly the [photoid] [/photoid] that I couldn’t always get to work on this new site, even though it is I can see following the procedure here, quite simple! :thumbsup:

On another note I am experimenting with imgur as an free image-hosting platform. It seems to be very good and offers better privacy settings than Flickr? e.g. for those of us that want to store and display (embed or provide link) elsewhere and not have photos viewed on the platform itself.

It seems that the sharing functionality available means you need desktop access version to use it rather than the app though? I’ll try and embed some images here to test it. For me personally, I don’t want to do a Trip Report and have it full of missing images that have failed to show! :guilty: All that work down the pan. The last time I embedded an image it worked for a few hours then never worked again. They need to be stable.

Then I can recommend it to others and give advice on it. :crossfingers:

=

VapourTrails

Re: How to post pictures in answers

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:14 am

VapourTrails wrote:
On another note I am experimenting with imgur as a free image-hosting platform. I’ll try and embed some images here to test it. Then I can recommend it to others and give advice on it. :crossfingers:

=

Sizes available for posting: Original . Small Square . Big Square . Small Thumbnail . Medium Thumbnail . Large Thumbnail . Huge Thumbnail

Is working fine and is so easy to use. :crossfingers:

Source: https://imgur.com/

Plusses here are that images are kept up forever on the host site nowadays, and the privacy or 'hidden' option is also a big positive. The URL is also very short. :checkmark:

Original sized image with BBCode provided (I just had to click Copy next to it and paste here). Also, five other link codes to choose from - Image link, Direct link, Markdown link, HTML, Linked BBCode. Hugh thumbnail similar to original size.

Medium thumbnail

Large thumbnail