berari
Topic Author
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Deleting of posts by moderators

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm

I understand that the moderators need to keep the forums within the guidelines that a.net has in place. But as of late I have noticed that a couple of my posts have been deleted and I can't recall any content that could have been misconstrued. There are valuable, rich conversations that are occurring and we lose posts with no explanation.

The tough part is that while messages are deleted, we as users do not know which reply of ours was deleted. We can't learn form our "mistakes" if you will, for the messages simply disappear and we are left with a gap in a thread.

Can a.net update/or mods do this:
- Notify us with the deleted thread's contents and reason why it was deleted
- Update it so that they either cross out or redact the offensive parts, if that's the reason why

Nowadays I don't know who's going to be offended by what anymore, if one is to profess his love for Boeing, the Airbus clan gets offended and reports a post, and vice versa.

With an approach to simply delete messages and not providing feedback, the quality and user experience on this site is going down the drain.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15970
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:23 pm

berari wrote:
I understand that the moderators need to keep the forums within the guidelines that a.net has in place. But as of late I have noticed that a couple of my posts have been deleted and I can't recall any content that could have been misconstrued. There are valuable, rich conversations that are occurring and we lose posts with no explanation.

The tough part is that while messages are deleted, we as users do not know which reply of ours was deleted. We can't learn form our "mistakes" if you will, for the messages simply disappear and we are left with a gap in a thread.

Can a.net update/or mods do this:
- Notify us with the deleted thread's contents and reason why it was deleted
- Update it so that they either cross out or redact the offensive parts, if that's the reason why

Nowadays I don't know who's going to be offended by what anymore, if one is to profess his love for Boeing, the Airbus clan gets offended and reports a post, and vice versa.

With an approach to simply delete messages and not providing feedback, the quality and user experience on this site is going down the drain.


AFAIK, the lack of notification has been the situation since the site was upgraded. I think it's pretty poor that members can have posts deleted without being aware of the reason. Yes, if you only post once or twice a week you might be able to email the mods and ask why, but if you're active in lots of threads you might not even notice that posts of yours have been deleted.

I find it pretty frustrating.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
berari
Topic Author
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Frustrating is the word. The purpose of a forum is to keep users engaged and contributing to discussions.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4489
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi folks. I'll be upfront and admit that I share your frustration. We've not been able to send deletion emails since the site upgrade. That was a feature unique to the old site. I know that we are working on deletion emails, but nothing has yet been finalized. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us at moderators@airliners.net if you think your post was deleted even though it was within forum guidelines. It's often true that posts are deleted because they were quoting a post that has been deleted (and this was true of the old site as well). But again, I apologize. I very much wish we still had the ability to send out an email explaining our decision whenever we delete a post.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 pm

berari wrote:
I understand that the moderators need to keep the forums within the guidelines that a.net has in place. But as of late I have noticed that a couple of my posts have been deleted and I can't recall any content that could have been misconstrued. There are valuable, rich conversations that are occurring and we lose posts with no explanation.

The tough part is that while messages are deleted, we as users do not know which reply of ours was deleted. We can't learn form our "mistakes" if you will, for the messages simply disappear and we are left with a gap in a thread.

Can a.net update/or mods do this:
- Notify us with the deleted thread's contents and reason why it was deleted
- Update it so that they either cross out or redact the offensive parts, if that's the reason why

Nowadays I don't know who's going to be offended by what anymore, if one is to profess his love for Boeing, the Airbus clan gets offended and reports a post, and vice versa.

With an approach to simply delete messages and not providing feedback, the quality and user experience on this site is going down the drain.

More often than not, posts are deleted because of reference quotes. If your post references a post which did break the rules, we have to remove yours too. We aren't permitted to edit the deleted portion from your post per our policies. I would support a provision that allows us to only remove the quoted text from a referenced post, but I don't know how much support that would have. As OA412 mentioned, you can always email us to ask. We're happy to provide an explanation for any deletion. I wish we still had automatic notifications, and supposedly it's something being worked on, but it's outside of our control. Manually notifying users every time we make a deletion would be extremely time consuming, so it's not really an option right now. I understand it's frustrating — I completely agree — but unfortunately there just isn't much that we as moderators can do about it.

scbriml wrote:
AFAIK, the lack of notification has been the situation since the site was upgraded. I think it's pretty poor that members can have posts deleted without being aware of the reason. Yes, if you only post once or twice a week you might be able to email the mods and ask why, but if you're active in lots of threads you might not even notice that posts of yours have been deleted.

I find it pretty frustrating.

I completely agree with you, and I wish there was something we could do about it. Manual notifications would be very tedious and time consuming for us to deal with on an individual basis, because there just aren't enough of us to keep up. We've been asking the developers to bring back the notifications for quite some time...I believe the discussion and our notification templates were sent to them late last summer. Unfortunately, we're at their mercy just as users are. Trust me, we want the notifications back as badly as you do, because we get a lot of angry emails and PMs that would otherwise be explained by an automatic system. In the mean time, we'll keep pushing them, but the only realistic option we have is to wait until users enquire.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15970
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:35 pm

I have to ask, is this something that's completely absent from the PHP forum software, or is it an option that hasn't been turned on yet?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 6623
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:05 am

scbriml wrote:
I have to ask, is this something that's completely absent from the PHP forum software, or is it an option that hasn't been turned on yet?


To be honest I wouldn’t know however but judging in how long it is taken I would assume it’s not part of the forum software. The deletion notifications were not transferred over from the old site and we had to start from scratch. I had a copy of one of the old deletion notifications so when I wrote the rest I based it on that. They were then run by the rest of the mods then submitted to the developers. They did come back and ask if one generic notification would be better but we were not in favour of that as each deletion notification highlighted the specific rule violations. As both OA412 and atcsundevil have said we are as frustrated as what the users are, when we make a deletion most users would firstly like to know why it was deleted and secondly if they have made an error to learn from it. As mentioned all we can suggest is if a post is deleted and you want to know why just send as an email. We try and discourage users sending us pm’s regarding moderating issues as it’s much easier via email as everyone is aware of it however if they do we either send an email out so everyone is aware or we make a note on the system to refer to in the future
Forum Moderator
 
Nami
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm going to put my own questions here instead of creating a new topic.

Last week I made a new thread in the Civil Aviation subsection of the forum about Air China's PEK-CPH route launch. It included links to CPH airport's website and Routesonline's listing, which was also placed in a quote. I don't see how that could have been against any rules, Routesonline material is often used on this site. The thread was deleted quite quickly.

I would like to inquire what was the reason for the deletion. I have two questions:

a) Was the launch considered too "insignificant" to warrant its own thread?
b) If the notification system is not working, why was the thread deleted outright instead of being locked with an explanation given in the last message?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:47 am

Nami wrote:
I'm going to put my own questions here instead of creating a new topic.

Last week I made a new thread in the Civil Aviation subsection of the forum about Air China's PEK-CPH route launch. It included links to CPH airport's website and Routesonline's listing, which was also placed in a quote. I don't see how that could have been against any rules, Routesonline material is often used on this site. The thread was deleted quite quickly.

I would like to inquire what was the reason for the deletion. I have two questions:

a) Was the launch considered too "insignificant" to warrant its own thread?
b) If the notification system is not working, why was the thread deleted outright instead of being locked with an explanation given in the last message?

I've looked through, and I can't find your thread, nor any record of a deletion of your thread. There should be a history of it somewhere, so perhaps it failed to post? Maybe I'm just not seeing it and another Moderator can find it, but the only thing I see related to that was your post in the Nordic thread. Because I can't find it, I unfortunately don't have an answer for you, but it would appear that your thread doesn't exist, nor was there any Moderator action taken against any of your posts or threads.

That said, the most common reason for deletion of threads is because of copyright violations. It's fine that you quoted and sourced it, but if you used anything more than a fair use quote, then it may have been found to be in violation. If your post was guilty of this (I'm not saying it is, just a hypothetical), then we have no choice but to delete it. We can't allow images or quotes which violate copyright laws to stay up for obvious reasons.

The only time we lock threads with an explanation message is if it's a duplicate thread. We don't discuss deletions in an open forum, so if you have questions about a deletion, please email us at moderators@airliners.net.
 
Ozair
Posts: 2869
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:38 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:53 am

Nami wrote:
I'm going to put my own questions here instead of creating a new topic.

I have a similar question.

In MilAv the USAF light attack OA-X thread has disappeared, I assume deleted. Why did this happen?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Ozair wrote:
Nami wrote:
I'm going to put my own questions here instead of creating a new topic.

I have a similar question.

In MilAv the USAF light attack OA-X thread has disappeared, I assume deleted. Why did this happen?

Are you talking about this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1353113

It wasn't deleted, it was locked. The thread was inactive for nearly a year when a user bumped the thread two days ago. We consider threads to be dormant when they're inactive for longer than six months (the old site automatically locked old topics, so the result is the same).

If you'd like to restart discussion, you're more than welcome to create a new topic, and you can use a link to the old topic as reference.
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 am

scbriml wrote:
berari wrote:
I understand that the moderators need to keep the forums within the guidelines that a.net has in place. But as of late I have noticed that a couple of my posts have been deleted and I can't recall any content that could have been misconstrued. There are valuable, rich conversations that are occurring and we lose posts with no explanation.

The tough part is that while messages are deleted, we as users do not know which reply of ours was deleted. We can't learn form our "mistakes" if you will, for the messages simply disappear and we are left with a gap in a thread.

Can a.net update/or mods do this:
- Notify us with the deleted thread's contents and reason why it was deleted
- Update it so that they either cross out or redact the offensive parts, if that's the reason why

Nowadays I don't know who's going to be offended by what anymore, if one is to profess his love for Boeing, the Airbus clan gets offended and reports a post, and vice versa.

With an approach to simply delete messages and not providing feedback, the quality and user experience on this site is going down the drain.


AFAIK, the lack of notification has been the situation since the site was upgraded. I think it's pretty poor that members can have posts deleted without being aware of the reason. Yes, if you only post once or twice a week you might be able to email the mods and ask why, but if you're active in lots of threads you might not even notice that posts of yours have been deleted.

I find it pretty frustrating.


Just need to share this sentiment.

And why I understand all the moderators technical explanation, it is simply a very poor process, disrespectful to the contributors of this site and, I hate saying it, borderline censorship.

It creates an atmosphere where you'd need to think twice of taking the time to contribute on a high quality base. Or simply put out snippy comments.

Edit for adding a thought: And before the answer is "but you agreed to the forums rules"...I know that. But more often than not people are not following the plethora of rules because they simply don't know. Not because if ill intentions. There are far better ways of addressing that, e.g. by noting the discrepancy to the rules and give 6hrs to correct that, rather than deleting without notification.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 am

So, none of the moderators found the time to reply here, but selective and inconsequent deletion of posts is as effective as it can be.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:46 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
So, none of the moderators found the time to reply here, but selective and inconsequent deletion of posts is as effective as it can be.

There aren't many of us, and we do have lives with careers and families, so sometimes we need more than just a few hours to see your posts and reply to them. I volunteer a huge amount of my time to this site, but it'll never be enough time to read every post in every thread.

Nicoeddf wrote:
And why I understand all the moderators technical explanation, it is simply a very poor process, disrespectful to the contributors of this site and, I hate saying it, borderline censorship.

I'm not sure I follow your logic — it's not censorship if users are notified, but it's borderline censorship if they aren't? Censorship would be purposely restricting a user's ability to speak freely within the rules (which we have no interest in doing), so I'm confused as to how notification or lack thereof would somehow alter that.

That aside, I empathize with the frustration of many users, but there isn't much that we can do about it. We don't have any say in what the developers work on, we can only request that certain things are done. We've been asking for a return of automated notifications for a year and a half. So in light of that, what do you propose we do to fix the process? I message some users when I can when making deletions, but there's no way I could do it for every one. We just don't have the time. We're doing what we can do keep the forums civilized and organized. We can't just choose to not delete things because we don't have time to message everyone — if we did that, users would be far more upset.

Nicoeddf wrote:
It creates an atmosphere where you'd need to think twice of taking the time to contribute on a high quality base. Or simply put out snippy comments.

And this is why we don't have time to send out manual notifications to everyone.
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
So, none of the moderators found the time to reply here, but selective and inconsequent deletion of posts is as effective as it can be.

There aren't many of us, and we do have lives with careers and families, so sometimes we need more than just a few hours to see your posts and reply to them. I volunteer a huge amount of my time to this site, but it'll never be enough time to read every post in every thread.

Nicoeddf wrote:
And why I understand all the moderators technical explanation, it is simply a very poor process, disrespectful to the contributors of this site and, I hate saying it, borderline censorship.

I'm not sure I follow your logic — it's not censorship if users are notified, but it's borderline censorship if they aren't? Censorship would be purposely restricting a user's ability to speak freely within the rules (which we have no interest in doing), so I'm confused as to how notification or lack thereof would somehow alter that.

That aside, I empathize with the frustration of many users, but there isn't much that we can do about it. We don't have any say in what the developers work on, we can only request that certain things are done. We've been asking for a return of automated notifications for a year and a half. So in light of that, what do you propose we do to fix the process? I message some users when I can when making deletions, but there's no way I could do it for every one. We just don't have the time. We're doing what we can do keep the forums civilized and organized. We can't just choose to not delete things because we don't have time to message everyone — if we did that, users would be far more upset.

Nicoeddf wrote:
It creates an atmosphere where you'd need to think twice of taking the time to contribute on a high quality base. Or simply put out snippy comments.

And this is why we don't have time to send out manual notifications to everyone.


First of all, thank you atcsundevil, for replying. Much appreciated.

I know you and the other moderators are using your free time for doing the moderators job. And while I principally appreciate that effort, that doesn't free you or other members of the team from being criticized (or praised for that matter) for your actions.

Regarding my logic, which might have been poorly worded, sorry for that: Yes indeed, I find it a world of a difference if I receive a message telling me that my post was deleted for this or that reason within the rule framework of the site I chose to participate in, rather than clicking on a.net in anticipation of a discussion, just to find, yet again, mine or others posts have been deleted, without explanation.
In my world, the former is necessary hygiene of an internet platform, while the latter is borderline censorship.
I feel that way, because deleting without explanation leaves at least a "bad taste in the mouth" as we would say in my mother tongue, if the content of the post was simply undesirable, or if it was actually against any of the rules.
Hope that makes my logic more clear.

And I admit, part of my frustration stems from the very immature handling of things from one of your team, as in receiving a "board warning" for writing "crew fuck ups" in a totally non-swearing context. And then receiving a ban in pointing that out in one of the threads. Scared of scrutiny? And why then escalate it in the first place. Just write me a message saying: "please, just replace fuck ups with mishaps...would be technically against the rules otherwise" and put a ;) behind it. --> solved.

Ah well...
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god
 
Nicoeddf
Posts: 820
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Nicoeddf wrote:
It creates an atmosphere where you'd need to think twice of taking the time to contribute on a high quality base. Or simply put out snippy comments.

And this is why we don't have time to send out manual notifications to everyone.


Yes, but in my world the solution is not deletion. But improving the atmosphere. Win-Win...
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god
 
Nami
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm going to post here again as the same just happened to my thread as in message #8.

I made a thread with the title: "TG plans to make an order of 13 widebody and 10 narrowbody aircraft within this year" (screenshot, in case you don't have any record of the thread this time either).

Under 10 minutes later, it's gone. Puff. With no explanation given. I used the search function in advance but failed to find any recent threads regarding the same thing. It's especially odd considering the news the thread was based on was released today. If there is an older thread discussing the topic, why was the thread simply not locked and a link to the thread where discussion should be continued added?

Or are we not allowed to quote Reuters articles?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Nami wrote:
I'm going to post here again as the same just happened to my thread as in message #8.

I made a thread with the title: "TG plans to make an order of 13 widebody and 10 narrowbody aircraft within this year" (screenshot, in case you don't have any record of the thread this time either).

Under 10 minutes later, it's gone. Puff. With no explanation given. I used the search function in advance but failed to find any recent threads regarding the same thing. It's especially odd considering the news the thread was based on was released today. If there is an older thread discussing the topic, why was the thread simply not locked and a link to the thread where discussion should be continued added?

Or are we not allowed to quote Reuters articles?

I wasn't the moderator involved here, but here's my take.. You can obviously quote a Reuters article, but you can't quote ALL of a Reuters article. You can only use fair use extract quotes. This is a longstanding rule on this site, because copyright violations open the site to liability. Not only that, we expect other sites to respect our copyrighted material, so we can't have those expectations if we won't enforce it ourselves. In addition, you're also required to include your own commentary for discussion. We always say that this isn't a news site, it's a discussion forum.

Just to summarize: when starting a new thread, you are required to provide your own comments; you are encouraged to include fair use extract quotes, and if there's a lot of information, you can include as much of a summary in your own words as you'd like (obviously that wouldn't be a copyright issue). A link and some quotes has never met our posting standards, even though a lot of people do it. Doing so puts your thread at risk for deletion at the discretion of the moderator.

In the future, we would encourage you to contact us directly regarding deletions. We would rather discuss them in a private format rather than in an open forum. You're free to repost your thread, we just ask that you (and all users) post based on the expectations above. We hold users to a higher standard than most sites, which is something that most users have come to expect.
 
Nami
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
I wasn't the moderator involved here, but here's my take..


Thank you for your reply. I already received a PM from another moderator and he or she said more or less the same thing in a more concise way. I originally planned to quote only a paragraph or two of the article but as it was a relatively short one with relevant information I made the mistake of quoting too much of it. That's my mistake and I now understand the reason for deletion.

Like you mentioned, the rules of this site state this:
4. Thread starting posts MUST contain your own commentary, as well as sources (quotes are optional, but recommended) if applicable.
5. Thread starters which only contain links and/or quotes with limited or no commentary will be deleted.

However it seems that there is a clear lack of consensus between moderators on how strongly these rules should be applied. Just on the first page of Civil Aviation subforum it's easy to find numerous threads where the opening posts include no original commentary whatsoever.

For example how is the opening post quoted below acceptable under the rules?

ronitkadam777 wrote:
United chooses BOM as its next 77W destination from EWR.
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com ... er-mumbai/

Even perhaps the most discussed thread of the last 24 hours has no own commentary:

JetBlue will order 60 Airbus A220-300 aircraft, for delivery beginning 2020, replacing the Embraer 190 fleet.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... wsid=55200


I believe both of these examples fall under "limited or no commentary" and should therefore be deleted if the "5." is enforced as it's written. So what is the logic behind that these threads have not been deleted as they fail to include any own commentary? Apparently had I quoted only a paragraph of the article and included a platitude of one or two words such as "Any thoughts?" (often the only own words in some threads) that would have spared my thread? Did I understand this correctly? Or would my thread have survived had I done like the above examples and added more or less the same information as the thread title in the OP and a link? But then again this would be contradictory with "5.". I hope I'm not coming off as rude - I just want to know the logic of this forum.

While I understand why my thread disappeared, all I hope is that everyone and every post would be treated equally and not in an arbitrary manner. Or simply that "5." will be rephrased as it's clearly not followed in a consistent manner.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Nami wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
I wasn't the moderator involved here, but here's my take..


Thank you for your reply. I already received a PM from another moderator and he or she said more or less the same thing in a more concise way. I originally planned to quote only a paragraph or two of the article but as it was a relatively short one with relevant information I made the mistake of quoting too much of it. That's my mistake and I now understand the reason for deletion.

Like you mentioned, the rules of this site state this:
4. Thread starting posts MUST contain your own commentary, as well as sources (quotes are optional, but recommended) if applicable.
5. Thread starters which only contain links and/or quotes with limited or no commentary will be deleted.

However it seems that there is a clear lack of consensus between moderators on how strongly these rules should be applied. Just on the first page of Civil Aviation subforum it's easy to find numerous threads where the opening posts include no original commentary whatsoever.

For example how is the opening post quoted below acceptable under the rules?

ronitkadam777 wrote:
United chooses BOM as its next 77W destination from EWR.
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com ... er-mumbai/

Even perhaps the most discussed thread of the last 24 hours has no own commentary:

JetBlue will order 60 Airbus A220-300 aircraft, for delivery beginning 2020, replacing the Embraer 190 fleet.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... wsid=55200


I believe both of these examples fall under "limited or no commentary" and should therefore be deleted if the "5." is enforced as it's written. So what is the logic behind that these threads have not been deleted as they fail to include any own commentary? Apparently had I quoted only a paragraph of the article and included a platitude of one or two words such as "Any thoughts?" (often the only own words in some threads) that would have spared my thread? Did I understand this correctly? Or would my thread have survived had I done like the above examples and added more or less the same information as the thread title in the OP and a link? But then again this would be contradictory with "5.". I hope I'm not coming off as rude - I just want to know the logic of this forum.

While I understand why my thread disappeared, all I hope is that everyone and every post would be treated equally and not in an arbitrary manner. Or simply that "5." will be rephrased as it's clearly not followed in a consistent manner.

As I said, it's at our discretion. By that, I mean that we often can't get to some threads quickly enough. There aren't very many of us, and we've all got jobs and personal lives, so unless we stumble upon an issue or it's reported to us, we'll miss things. If a topic already has multiple replies by the time we see it, it makes it harder for us to delete. If we catch the topic early enough, it's an easier decision for us to make. It isn't that we're purposely inconsistent, it's that we have to use our best judgement.

We try our best to educate users in cases where we don't make deletions, but some users are more focused on posting first than listening to us. We believe, as do a large number of longtime users, that this type of posting is a detriment to the quality of the forum. Unfortunately, deleting an entire discussion because the OP didn't take the time to post to a higher standard is just as much of a detriment to the forum, so it's not always going to be clear cut.
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12332
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:17 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
We aren't permitted to edit the deleted portion from your post per our policies.


Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or just plain wrong, but I would swear that the deletion policy was already changed to exactly this several years ago, due to member complaints about posts being deleted.

That is, I thought that the mods were specifically allowed to delete portions of posts that quote deleted posts.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:18 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
We aren't permitted to edit the deleted portion from your post per our policies.


Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or just plain wrong, but I would swear that the deletion policy was already changed to exactly this several years ago, due to member complaints about posts being deleted.

That is, I thought that the mods were specifically allowed to delete portions of posts that quote deleted posts.

This hasn't been the case for as long as I've been a moderator, although I would be in favor of the idea. I think most people would, because it would save us from deleting a lot of referenced posts.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4489
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:38 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
We aren't permitted to edit the deleted portion from your post per our policies.


Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or just plain wrong, but I would swear that the deletion policy was already changed to exactly this several years ago, due to member complaints about posts being deleted.

That is, I thought that the mods were specifically allowed to delete portions of posts that quote deleted posts.

This hasn't been the case for as long as I've been a moderator, although I would be in favor of the idea. I think most people would, because it would save us from deleting a lot of referenced posts.

Hi Vik. You're not misremembering. That was indeed the policy at one point. Last I'd heard, it was changed to allow only the head moderators to edit post contents. However, I'm not aware that even this is true any longer. I've been a mod as long as atcsundevil, and I too have not been aware of this policy during my time moderating, but I do agree it would be a very useful tool to have at our disposal.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15970
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 am

So, is there any chance of getting a reply from Vertical Scope on this.

Will email notification of post deletions be activated/reinstated?

It is so frustrating to not be aware of deleted posts. I find it very hard to believe that one of the most popular, off-the-shelf systems doesn't have this option.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15970
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:12 pm

scbriml wrote:
So, is there any chance of getting a reply from Vertical Scope on this.

Will email notification of post deletions be activated/reinstated?

It is so frustrating to not be aware of deleted posts. I find it very hard to believe that one of the most popular, off-the-shelf systems doesn't have this option.


Image
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:02 am

scbriml wrote:
So, is there any chance of getting a reply from Vertical Scope on this.

Will email notification of post deletions be activated/reinstated?

It is so frustrating to not be aware of deleted posts. I find it very hard to believe that one of the most popular, off-the-shelf systems doesn't have this option.

Sorry...it's not like we (the mods) aren't hearing you, because we are. We've practically been begging for deletion notifications for the better part of two years. We thought we were about to get them around September of last year, but obviously we didn't. We want the notifications back just as badly as you do, because ultimately it creates more work for us when people get understandably upset when their posts go missing without explanation. Usually it's for something totally explainable like a referenced post deletion, but that doesn't make most users any less angry. We don't have the time to be able to send out notifications manually and still make the necessary deletions, so without automated notifications, there isn't much we can do from our end. It just seems that it's not high enough on the priority list.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15970
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So, is there any chance of getting a reply from Vertical Scope on this.

Will email notification of post deletions be activated/reinstated?

It is so frustrating to not be aware of deleted posts. I find it very hard to believe that one of the most popular, off-the-shelf systems doesn't have this option.

Sorry...it's not like we (the mods) aren't hearing you, because we are. We've practically been begging for deletion notifications for the better part of two years. We thought we were about to get them around September of last year, but obviously we didn't. We want the notifications back just as badly as you do, because ultimately it creates more work for us when people get understandably upset when their posts go missing without explanation. Usually it's for something totally explainable like a referenced post deletion, but that doesn't make most users any less angry. We don't have the time to be able to send out notifications manually and still make the necessary deletions, so without automated notifications, there isn't much we can do from our end. It just seems that it's not high enough on the priority list.


Thanks for the update, but it would be nice to get some news from Vertical Scope.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Yup, notifications of deletions would be good. Quite frankly it's a standard common courtesy on most boards I frequent and/or admin/mod. Takes a few seconds to drop a PM/DM on forums where automatics don't take care of it.
Several posts deleted recently. All adhered to the stated forum rules (with the last one being worded especially to be in no doubt that it conformed), yet still seemingly deleted at the behest of one vocal member. Ironically, the original supposedly 'offensive' post remains.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 am

scbriml wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So, is there any chance of getting a reply from Vertical Scope on this.

Will email notification of post deletions be activated/reinstated?

It is so frustrating to not be aware of deleted posts. I find it very hard to believe that one of the most popular, off-the-shelf systems doesn't have this option.

Sorry...it's not like we (the mods) aren't hearing you, because we are. We've practically been begging for deletion notifications for the better part of two years. We thought we were about to get them around September of last year, but obviously we didn't. We want the notifications back just as badly as you do, because ultimately it creates more work for us when people get understandably upset when their posts go missing without explanation. Usually it's for something totally explainable like a referenced post deletion, but that doesn't make most users any less angry. We don't have the time to be able to send out notifications manually and still make the necessary deletions, so without automated notifications, there isn't much we can do from our end. It just seems that it's not high enough on the priority list.


Thanks for the update, but it would be nice to get some news from Vertical Scope.

At least we finally got HTTPS :smile:
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:29 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
At least we finally got HTTPS :smile:

So based on that, what, about 5 more years until this gets done? ;)
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
treetreeseven
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:18 am

Re: Deleting of posts by moderators

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Vertical Scope doesn't give a crap, folks. They bought this site for one thing: pre-existing traffic numbers to which they can show ads.

Meanwhile, wide latitude to interpret policy is given to mods which make entire threads disappear, not just posts, with zero interaction.

Perhaps notifying a user when their thread is deleted should be required. I understand individual posts would be too time-consuming in the incomplete software which Vertical Scope has left us. But arbitrary and random deletion of threads is over the line for me. Oh, it wasn't arbitrary and random, you say? Sure seems that way to me. :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos