Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Moose135

Re: Is this Forum too US centric?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:33 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
I think instead of creating just a catch-all US forum within CivAv, it might be more useful to keep a CivAv general forum but create a new CivAv local topics forum where all the "airline X now flies to Y" type threads can go. This should have sub-fora for North America, Europe, South East Asia, etc. etc.

If DL starts JFK-AMS service (just to use as an example), does it go in the North America or Europe forum? How about BA starting LHR-NRT? Do threads get added to both forums, ended up with duplicate threads in different place that users and moderators need to deal with?

aerolimani

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:30 pm

OA412 wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:
No, but there are a number of general interest websites where US-based users just act as if everyone else is US-based as well. This is one of them.

It can be pretty annoying for "the rest of the world" and hints at a certain arrogance.

I've noticed this a lot as well. Some don't know have any idea that this site was started by a Swede and was based in Sweden for the first half of its existence. But I also see a lack of appreciation for this being an international website with people participating for whom English is a second (or third or fourth) language.

I have seen a few ad hominem attacks on people's english language skills, and that is unfortunate. It shouldn't happen.

On the old site, I liked that you said what country you were from, and a little flag showed up next to your username. Granted, there seemed to be a disproportionately large number of users from Tuvalu, but still, it constantly reminded everyone that this is an international site.

OA412

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:42 pm

aerolimani wrote:
OA412 wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:
No, but there are a number of general interest websites where US-based users just act as if everyone else is US-based as well. This is one of them.

It can be pretty annoying for "the rest of the world" and hints at a certain arrogance.

I've noticed this a lot as well. Some don't know have any idea that this site was started by a Swede and was based in Sweden for the first half of its existence. But I also see a lack of appreciation for this being an international website with people participating for whom English is a second (or third or fourth) language.

I have seen a few ad hominem attacks on people's english language skills, and that is unfortunate. It shouldn't happen.

On the old site, I liked that you said what country you were from, and a little flag showed up next to your username. Granted, there seemed to be a disproportionately large number of users from Tuvalu, but still, it constantly reminded everyone that this is an international site.

And Vatican City. :lol: But I do agree that was a nice feature on the old site. I'm not sure if the current site is able to offer that feature.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 am

Well, I guess I'm at a loss. If you want non-US content, post it. If you don't like certain posters, FOE them. I welcome whatever non-US content someone wants to post, but referring to US posters as "them" and "those people" and wanting to create a sub-forum "for them" seems just a bit insulting - so that's ok as long as it's not US posters?

Honestly - do what you want. I'm tired of the AvB, US v The World nonsense. And there are folks in this very thread who perpetrate it as well. There are US and European posters who are here for the sole purpose of jerking everyone's chain or pushing an agenda. I'd rather those folks be dealt with (FOE button anyone) before we start blanket segregating content to appease someone's feelings.

FWIW.....

VapourTrails

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:34 am

This is a valid topic and 'everyone' on here has noticed it for sure. U.S. members also probably make up more numbers on here than all of the other countries put together. However, this is an international website which it has been from day one - regardless of where it was located.

For me, I see it in Non Av more than anywhere else, not on a really regular basis, but it irks me when I read a thread from a U.S. OP that obviously disregards that the rest of the world even exists. :boggled: ..then I get over it, and move on with my day, and / or don't read further and skip over the thread.

PlanesNTrains wrote:
If you don't like certain posters, FOE them. ..referring to US posters as "them" and "those people" and wanting to create a sub-forum "for them" seems just a bit insulting.

Agreed. I don't think creating a sub-forum would make any difference anyhow, and wouldn't be what this site is really about.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 am

VapourTrails wrote:
This is a valid topic and 'everyone' on here has noticed it for sure. U.S. members also probably make up more numbers on here than all of the other countries put together. However, this is an international website which it has been from day one - regardless of where it was located.

For me, I see it in Non Av more than anywhere else, not on a really regular basis, but it irks me when I read a thread from a U.S. OP that obviously disregards that the rest of the world even exists. :boggled: ..then I get over it, and move on with my day, and / or don't read further and skip over the thread.

PlanesNTrains wrote:
If you don't like certain posters, FOE them. ..referring to US posters as "them" and "those people" and wanting to create a sub-forum "for them" seems just a bit insulting.

Agreed. I don't think creating a sub-forum would make any difference anyhow, and wouldn't be what this site is really about.

I personally avoid non-av as much as possible because it is like a relief valve for many people's anger and resentment towards others (in all directions). I appreciate healthy debate but I also appreciate keeping my blood pressure low. :-)

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 am

Moose135 wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:
I think instead of creating just a catch-all US forum within CivAv, it might be more useful to keep a CivAv general forum but create a new CivAv local topics forum where all the "airline X now flies to Y" type threads can go. This should have sub-fora for North America, Europe, South East Asia, etc. etc.

If DL starts JFK-AMS service (just to use as an example), does it go in the North America or Europe forum? How about BA starting LHR-NRT? Do threads get added to both forums, ended up with duplicate threads in different place that users and moderators need to deal with?

That wouldn't be a "local" topic, though, would it... ;)

StTim

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 am

aerolimani wrote:
It does feel, to me, that since a.net became free, there is an increase in nationalistic posts. I feel like that the balance has shifted from people who love aviation above all, and more towards unbridled nationalism. Given that the US is the largest english-speaking population in the world, it makes sense that there is a corresponding increase in US-focused posts. There's always been the A vs B threads, but it seems worse than ever.

Spot on.

It is almost these days like there is an army of bots waiting to take any slightly negative US post (and US manufacturer) and rebut it - often in very personal terms.

It is getting to the point where people cannot debate items. There are entrenched views and if you do not agree then you are WRONG. There was always some of this but it is getting much much worse. To the point where it is no longer worth posting as it does not lead to debate but to vitriol.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 am

StTim wrote:
aerolimani wrote:
It does feel, to me, that since a.net became free, there is an increase in nationalistic posts. I feel like that the balance has shifted from people who love aviation above all, and more towards unbridled nationalism. Given that the US is the largest english-speaking population in the world, it makes sense that there is a corresponding increase in US-focused posts. There's always been the A vs B threads, but it seems worse than ever.

Spot on.

It is almost these days like there is an army of bots waiting to take any slightly negative US post (and US manufacturer) and rebut it - often in very personal terms.

It is getting to the point where people cannot debate items. There are entrenched views and if you do not agree then you are WRONG. There was always some of this but it is getting much much worse. To the point where it is no longer worth posting as it does not lead to debate but to vitriol.

If you think that's a US-only occurrence, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've got several European posters on my FOE list because all they do is focus on denigrating Boeing (or even Americans in one case) every chance they get. I can handle debate - I can't handle people who only wish to stir the pot and create negativity rather than just "discuss". What I'll say, though, is that we tend to see things through our own prisms, so while I might view it one way, you might see it another. We're both probably right from our own point of view. We just don't tend to see the other side as much. My personal opinion, of course.

StTim

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
StTim wrote:
aerolimani wrote:

Spot on.

If you think that's a US-only occurrence, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've got several European posters on my FOE list because all they do is focus on denigrating Boeing (or even Americans in one case) every chance they get. I can handle debate - I can't handle people who only wish to stir the pot and create negativity rather than just "discuss". What I'll say, though, is that we tend to see things through our own prisms, so while I might view it one way, you might see it another. We're both probably right from our own point of view. We just don't tend to see the other side as much. My personal opinion, of course.

I totally accept that it is not entirely a one way street. I just tend to see far more of the US ones that the Non US ones. But as you say perspective lends a lot to that discussion.

TVNWZ

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Irony weeps. OP wants a separate forum for US Aviation, but won't post in Site Related because " but at least wanted to reach a wider audience." Rich. Very rich irony.

spencer32

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:12 pm

I did open a thread a couple of months back suggesting Civil Aviation be split into geographical sub-forums but didn't get much response. Since then I've noticed what should have been glaringly obvious - if I come on here in the morning/early afternoon the majority of posters are from Europe and threads are on European subjects which are more relevant to my interests. It's only in the evening when the forum seems to be overtaken by DL/UA/AA posts (I'm not saying that in an insulting way btw! These subjects are obviously of interest to US contributors but DL yields to FAY are a bit too niche for me)

So... it ain't gonna change any time soon by the look of it, if you're from this side of the pond just get on here earlier :)