Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Issue with replies appearing before thread starters

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:20 am

There have been a few threads recently where a reply has been posted soon after the thread starter, then for whatever reason this reply has taken top position above the thread starter. I think I've also seen it once in a thread (it was obvious because the post being quoted appeared as the next post).

I believe this may be another example of this issue: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1373905

I'm pretty sure the one word post "What" was written in reply to the lengthy post which appears now as the first reply, but which I believe was the thread starter.

Any idea what is up here? I've only noticed this since Tapatalk has been an option here, but that may well be coincidental.

V/F

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Re: Issue with replies appearing before thread starters

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Just came across this in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1373993

The post by NZ321 quotes a post by ZKSUJ, however NZ321's post appears first before ZKSUJ's. (Sorry I'm on the mobile site so no post numbers are visible)

V/F

Moose135

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:21 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
I'm pretty sure the one word post "What" was written in reply to the lengthy post which appears now as the first reply, but which I believe was the thread starter.

Especially since on that long second post, it has the "Topic Author" tag on it. In the past, I've seen replies end up out of order, including some where the author is quoting a post that appears below his. I haven't noticed it on a thread starter before.

dmmatt
Crew

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Hey guys, thanks for reporting this issue. It appears in both examples above that the incorrectly ordered posts were created/authored within the same minute. I haven't looked at the forum code yet, but I'm guessing there's a problem (maybe bug) when sorting by date authored. Probably need to increase the granularity of the date field when ordering posts. Paul has added to our Squawk Sheet and we will get this fixed. Thanks again.

Matt

BREECH

Fix the time zone problem

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Take a look at this:
Post No. 42: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1376389#p19890085
Post No. 45: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1376389#p19890095
AND the post No. 49 TO WHICH they are both replying:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1376389#p19890081

Your script doesn't take time zones into account. And this is not a new problem. I first thought I mixed up something but no, I've been observing this for a while. Fix it please.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Re: Fix the time zone problem

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 pm

It seems to be not so much a time zone issue as one where replies posted closely together are not ordered correctly.

I do wonder if making use of the edit post feature is part of the issue? Hmm just tried that and it seems not.

V/F
Last edited by VirginFlyer on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Re: Fix the time zone problem

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
It seems to be not so much a time zone issue of one where replies posted closely together are not ordered correctly.

V/F

Quoting this before editing it to see if editing is the issue.

V/F

mercure1

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Here is another example from today.

The thread starter post is shown as Reply #2 for some odd reason.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382223

hOMSaR

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 am

I just posted something in the thread on Southwest deferring the 737 MAX 7. When the page reloaded immediately after posting, I noticed there was a reply right after mine.

So, I was curious. I hovered my mouse over the field that notes the posting date/time, and it says I posted it today at 19:09. The clock on my computer (which is corroborated by my cell phone) said 19:06 (I'm in US Central time, and my account and computer settings both have the correct time zone, so that is not the issue). The post that was below mine was showing as being posted at 19:11.

So, it seems as if the forum host server isn't properly noting the time the post was submitted. If it was relying on the user's computer to get a time stamp (which wouldn't make sense anyway), then it should have shown my post as being made at 19:06. Instead, it was showing three minutes in the future. Meanwhile, it recorded someone else's post as being at least five minutes in the future. Really, it was probably more than that, unless the next poster happened to click submit at exactly the same time I did.

Regardless, the source of the problem is definitely in how the server applies a timestamp to the post. It doesn't really have anything to do with time zones, or editing, or even with how the posts are sorted (because they are correctly sorted according to timestamp, it's the timestamps themselves that are incorrect).

hOMSaR

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 am

As a follow-up to my previous post, I posted at 19:17 local, but the time stamp shows 19:20.

hOMSaR

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:54 am

Sincere apologies for the multiple posts in a row, but I’m doing this in the name of science (I promise). It’s currently 19:47 central standard time, and I’m posting this from my cell phone.

Edit: Never mind. I wanted to reply to myself and have this post appear below, but the forum software won't let me post another reply so soon. Point is, when on my cell network, my post appears 7 minutes into the future. When on my home network, it appears 3 minutes in the future.

Therefore, if I had been able to successfully reply to my own post, my reply would have appeared above this message. In fact, I think that bug is probably why I wasn't able to post the reply. There's probably a 30- or 60-second timeout in between posts to prevent someone from spamming a forum (I guess....umm..errr...like I sorta am here). However, since that is probably based on a simple logic of <post time must be 60 seconds greater than last post time> and since the server somehow thinks I posted seven minutes into the future on one device, it won't let another post until after that buffer time clears...and since this computer (on which I'm writing the edit) is "only" three minutes into the future, then I have at least another four minutes to wait if posting from this machine, because the timestamp otherwise wouldn't be 60 seconds (or whatever the limit is, I'm only guessing 60 seconds) later than the previous post.

scbriml

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:25 am

This is still happening and has just happened to me twice in Civ-Av. Note this is not just thread starters, this was in established threads.

viewtopic.php?p=20101239#p20101239
Reply #22 shown before #23 which was the post I was replying to!

scbriml

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Any update on this issue? Thanks.

It looks like I can see the future!

atcsundevil

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:03 am

scbriml wrote:
Any update on this issue? Thanks.

It looks like I can see the future!

The developers have been aware for some time. Unfortunately there isn't much that we can do about it until then, other than hope it'll be fixed soon. We don't have a way of manually moving the posts into the correct sequence, so our only current options are leave it as is or delete.